Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Soul Audio & Entertainment System Questions

mike8183mike8183 Member Posts: 4
edited January 2014 in Kia
Just got my Kia Soul and plugged my ipod nano in and keep getting "reading error" message. Any advice on how to fix this? Thanks

Comments

• onelegsoulonelegsoul Member Posts: 3
    Don't have any help but it does work with my reg mp3 player, all controls work with it. Sorry
  • mrcellusmrcellus Member Posts: 52
    Get yourself over to kiasoulforums.com and find that out and anything else you need to know.
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    Try 08620-2L000. 96125-2L000 also works just fine. It's a special cable that enables the soul to have full iPod integration. Works great and it's not that expensive.
  • vbaylessvbayless Member Posts: 1
    You have to purchase to cord that kia sells with the Soul,............it's kind of a gimmick but if you want to listen to it you'll have to purchase it. Although the cord that is used with the LG Dare works just fine. So maybe I don't know what I am talking about. But when I tried to connect my Itouch it said "error" and nothing would work.
  • extech2extech2 Member Posts: 120
    When I plugged in my I pod with the special cable made by Kia it picked it up at the first try. I can change tracks etc. with the radio controls. It sounds as good or better than the Sirius reception.
    Yesterday I plugged in a USB thumb drive where I previously stored some music, in MP3 format, about 4-500 tracks were on it. The Soul picked up the drive within 5 seconds and went to play the 1st track. The radio controls work going from track to track, forward or backward. The manual recommends not to start the car unless the USB device is removed. I took a chance and it didn't hurt the thumb drive. If you park the car and leave the thumb drive plugged in, it will go to the last track whichever was playing when the engine was stopped. The only negative is that you can't go to another track in a random order. These drives often sell for less than $ 10 - compared to the price of an I pod or any other MP3 player, they are a bargain.
  • bkl1bkl1 Member Posts: 2
    We bought a 32gb USB flash drive for our Soul, and sorted all of our music into folders, plugged it in and away we went. You can sort through the folders using the category button and flip through the songs with the up and down button on the wheel. The flash drive was cheap and was a great alternative to an IPod or an MP3 Player. Check out the prices for an MP3/Ipod vs USB Flash drive, you'll see what I mean. :)
    The other advantage of the USB drive over the I pod is the ease of use when setting it up. I'm using Windows PCs since 1991, but setting up my 80 GB I pod Classic was a frustrating experience. I was able to master it, but I never enjoy the hassle of adding new material. With the thumb drive, if you know how to copy, cut, and paste you are done in a few minutes. And it will be easy to reorganize the music according to your preference. Long live the Soul. If only the driver seat would have better adjustments.
  • lunechat99lunechat99 Member Posts: 1
    I used a regular USB jump drive. There are folders and sub folders, all of which are recognized by the car and the category button. All folders are listed in alpha order regardless of if they are a folder or sub folder. I love this imformation and do not havbe to spend $150.00. I spent $15.00 instead! Thanks. :shades:
  • chazzie100chazzie100 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know how to get the player to play gapless? Any live album or say the Abbey Road "Side 2 Suite" have split second gaps in between the songs, I am trying to figure out a way to have the songs play with no gaps in between. Will the mp3 player do this?
  • greysoulgreysoul Member Posts: 5

Hi folks. Just got my new 2014 Titanium Grey + with the Infinity system. Loving it so far, but having what I believe is a cold weather issue with the UVO system. When Temp is below freezing I get a black screen, no sound for about the first two to three mins of operation. The only thing that works is the back up camera, and it has no lines(depth guide) in it just the picture. If I had the remote start this would be a non-issue. Have not contacted dealer yet. I am going to do that today. I live in central Ohio. Anyone else having this issue?

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372

@greysoul said:
    Hi folks. Just got my new 2014 Titanium Grey + with the Infinity system. Loving it so far, but having what I believe is a cold weather issue with the UVO system. When Temp is below freezing I get a black screen, no sound for about the first two to three mins of operation. The only thing that works is the back up camera, and it has no lines(depth guide) in it just the picture. If I had the remote start this would be a non-issue. Have not contacted dealer yet. I am going to do that today. I live in central Ohio. Anyone else having this issue?

Since it's a touch screen, is it that the screen actually has to get warmed up before it will function?

I do not know yet. It took over nine minutes to come alive this morning. It was 28 degrees. Took video of it. Dropping off at dealer today. They will get key outta the drop box and start it when they open up in morning after it has sat all night. Tomorrow morning temp is supposed to be 27 degrees, then next day 8 degrees in the morning. It will be plenty cold for them to see the problem. The passenger air bag light does come on till info system does too. Going to ask if air bags not working till then? Supposed to snow 4 inches tonight, so will not mind driving my old 2004 4wd Sorento for next couple of days. We will see what they say. I will post what the service department says about it.

• crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345

Is there any degradation of sound quality when using:

• a USB flash drive vs an iPod?
    • an iPod vs a CD?
    • Sirius reception vs a CD?

My guess is, that of these choices, the CD will have the ability to sound the cleanest/tightess/strongest/best.

Update on new android based UVO system issue. Byers Kia just called. They had to call big Kia and they said to replace whole unit. Serviced manager said cost to Kia is 4,300.00. None available here in U.S. They say will take 6 to 7 days to get new unit from South Korea. Sigh. Have only had her for two weeks. They did not offer rental car. Going to call big Kia and start complaining. Sad I have to do this. They are checking to make sure the cars system wide check is operating correctly too. I have a bad feeling about this car. Going to NTSB site and file complaint. Just in case this becomes problem with new Souls.

@greysoul said:
    Hi folks. Big Kia called again. New UVO system not being sent till the engineers in Korea check it out and approve its release. Going to be a brand new unit. They said not going to send refurbished one like the usually do Big Kia has been great! Super communication from them. Communication from Byers service department not so much. As long as service techs are great it is ok. So car comes home till Byers service gets new one in from Korea. Byers put it back together till then. Big Kia said they will call when it is shipped. Now very happy with big Kia customer service. BTW the dealer also said Hyundai systems having problems interfacing with Iphone.

Nice to hear when things work the way they ought to!

Hello again.
    Just wanted to give final update. Kia sent the new "head unit" to Byers. Big Kia let me know when it was shipped and when Byers received it. Once again awesome communication. Byers called and set up appointment. Install took approx 45 minutes. Picked it up at Byers and went to check the UVO system before driving off of the lot. No Sirius! They forgot to call and get new unit registered. In their defense prob do not do alot of these. Still, they should have had checklist. Went back in and the sales manager(Brian) caught me asked if everything ok, and I said no. He had my salesperson(Nick) come out to care and call to get it fixed rather than have me deal with the service department again. The sales team is outstanding at Byers. It took approx 35 mins to get it switched from old unit to new one. It was tedious and difficult with Sirius to warn anyone who has to go thru this. Big Kia or dealer must do the switchover. Sirius will not let the customer do it FYI. Unit works great! Much better than old one. Big Kia called me next day to check on things and close out the issue.
    Big Kia and the Byers sales staff(not service managers) have been the absolute best. Loving the UVO system and the Infinity sound system. Yes PFFlyer its is great to have things go as they should with Kia or any other car manufacturers . Hope this does not happen to anyone else but if it does, I hope my posts help you.

VERY glad to hear it all worked out for you. Now you can get around to enjoying your ride! Be sure to keep us updated

• cowgirlinsandcowgirlinsand Member Posts: 7

@crkyolfrt said:
    Is there any degradation of sound quality when using:

• a USB flash drive vs an iPod?
    • an iPod vs a CD?
    • Sirius reception vs a CD?

My guess is, that of these choices, the CD will have the ability to sound the cleanest/tightess/strongest/best.

CD will have the best sound quality. You can save CD tracks in mp3 format, just make sure you pic the highest quality. Then when playing the USB in Soul, touch the menu button and you can save that track onto My Music. Then you will not need the USB drive. Soul will automatically make search criterion for songs...by artist.

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704

I was shopping in early July for a Kia Soul. Looked at the new ones and they don't have CD players in them at all. Just the MP3, etc. Ended up getting a 2011 Kia Soul with a CD player and MP3. Sound quality is really good. I just know that to get a newer Soul I will have to use newer technology. Really happy with this Soul - I got the 5-speed stick for transmission. Works great!

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

Heh... looking for older audio technology eh? And I'm VERY happy to know that I and my family aren't the only ones still seeking out manual transmissions!!

• kansas108kansas108 Member Posts: 1
    Any Chance someone can help me figure out how to listen to my app. Audible.com my book on tape app? Everytime I try to play it the system pulls up my phone music?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Audible has 24 hour customer support so you may want to ask them if you haven't already.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    If you are a parent of young children (at least one under 12 years old) who owns a Kia Soul (2014, 2015 or 2016,) a reporter would like for you to fill out a survey, due by December 22, 2015, for use in a print publication. Click here for the survey http://bit.ly/1M6rOvA