Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Flex real world mpg

neustkgneustkg Member Posts: 35
Any owners of the Ford Flex? I have a 2002 Chevy Venture w/3.5L V6 that is pretty much a dog of an engine. But it does get at least 25mpg highway and I've gotten as much as 30 if I keep it around 68mph. The nice thing about the Venture is that it seats 8. I think I've heard the Flex has the option for 3rd row seating.

I'd definitely consider the Flex if it is similar to my Venture in gas mileage and seating capacity.

Comments

• baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    The Flex does have a third row standard neustkg. You can get one in 6 or 7 passenger configurations but not 8. Ours is AWD and we average about 16-17 mpg in the city but it's not even broken in yet so it should get a little better over time. We have not gone on a long highway trip yet so I can't speak for the mileage there but the FWD model is rated at 23 highway and it should be pretty easy for you to get 24-26 mpg on the highway as long as your right foot isn't too heavy. You'll probably never see more than 26 highway though. The level of comfort and convenience of the Flex more than makes up for a few extra mpgs from a minivan IMO.
  • dano72dano72 Member Posts: 5
    Hello neustkg,

I have had my AWD Flex for about 4 weeks now. The Flex is my daily commuter and I have taken 2 highway trips so far. I live in the suburbs northeast of Detroit which means I travel on the I-94 freeway which includes some occasional rush hour traffic jams the closer you get to the city. I have been averaging about 20-21 MPG during the week. I am certainly not leading the traffic but I wouldn't say I am sitting the slow lane either.

On my 2 weekend highway trips (150 miles one way) I have actually averaged 26MPG!!! No that is not a typo, I wrote 26 MPG!!! I think this is awesome considering the sticker says 22 MPG highway. The trick is to stay at 70MPH. I have found that bumping it up to just 72 MPH has an adverse impact on my MPG.

The Flex replaced my 2006 Impala LTZ. Which was getting about 23 MPG work days but would manage 29 - 30 MPG on highway trips if I kept it around 70MPH.

I highly recommend this car. You will be amazed at how quiet this thing is on the road. I don't work for Ford, I don't own Ford stock and I have mainly purchased GM cars since I started driving. The point is I don't have any reason to manipulate your purchase decision. I just think that Ford has an amazing product here and I want to spread the good news.

Best of luck, Dano
  • neustkgneustkg Member Posts: 35
    How are prices (FWD for me probably) compared to Honda Odyssey, Toyota Sienna and any other minivan that would be competing against this vehicle? I'm talking about real world prices (incentives at this time, etc.)? I've heard the Odyssey and Sienna have vehicles that start at a similar price to the Flex, but try finding one at a dealer and then try negotiating w/them (Honda and Toyota dealers are notorious for not wanting to deal).

I figure if I looked at a one year old model w/a few miles, I might get a good deal on used as Ford resale value is not as good as Honda or Toyota (that's fine as I keep my vehicles until they fall apart and have to be towed away).
  • dano72dano72 Member Posts: 5
    neustkg,

Coincidentally I had researched and came very close to purchasing the Honda Odyssey. I learned that Honda was discounting their minivan in some locations and that was pulling me toward the Odyssey. At the time I was considering the EXL w/DVD which had a sticker of $34,700. I learned that Honda was giving nearly $5K of a discount (not personally confirmed) which would have dropped the price to the $29K range before tax. That would be out the door close to $31,500 in MI. I paid close to $36K OTD for the AWD Flex (I took Ford's $4500 cash incentive and I qualified for the supplier pricing).

If you opt for FWD (AWD is an $1850 option) then the price differential is only $2600, $31.5K Honda vs $34.1K Ford.

So the question for you to answer is do you want a minivan or a crossover? Test drive and decide.

I would also like to comment on seating. My Flex is listed as a 7 passenger version, 2 in first row, 3 in the second row and 2 in the rear. I place my 2 children in car seats in the second row. My wife can comfortably sit between them if she needs to. The rear seat can fit 2 with plenty of room.

Enjoy the ride....Dano
  • faroutfarout Member Posts: 1,609
    I would not even take a test drive in a Flex they are so ugly! The flex makes the Element and the Cube look good. Why the stupid box with no style whatsoever? The sales are a feed back on how people think it looks. Maybe the ride is real great once you get past the looks?

How much power does this box have?

farout
  • acdiiacdii Member Posts: 753
    edited March 2010
    Took my new Flex SEL EB out yesterday to see how she rides on the highway. I put 1700 miles on it in normal daily driving and was getting roughly 19 MPG. On the highway I drove about 100 miles south down I39 from Rockford, the readout hit 25 MPG @ 63 MPH.

I ran different speeds with the CC set, starting at 67 MPH I saw 23.8, @ 70 MPH I saw 23.2, @ 63 MPH I saw the greatest gains.

On the return trip I discovered that I had a decent tail wind while heading South, my mileage dropped almost instantly heading North. The best I could get @ 65 MPH was 22.3, it was a pretty stiff headwind though, at least 20 MPH. There is an area that takes about 20 minutes to get through at 65 where they have wind turbine farms, and they were all going at a fairly good clip, and any area of water had ripples on the surface, including puddles in the ditch, so I would say getting what I got with a stiff steady wind pushing me back is pretty good. If I take the wind out of the equation, I don't see why this can't get 24 MPG on the highway. My mixed city highway tank hand calc came out to 20 MPG for 200 miles. This was taken halfway through my trip with 100 miles of City and 80 miles of highway.

Once I got out of the headwind, the MPG went up slightly.
  • ttwebttweb Member Posts: 17
    I just bought my Flex AWD EcoBoost on Monday this week. My first full tank fill (after using up the full tank the dealer provided) took me from under 500 miles on the odometer to over 750. I did 95+% Freeway driving at about 74-75 mph on flat to rolling landscape in Wisconsin. Trip computer showed 20.9. Calculated by hand I got 20.2mpg.
    Try it at 63-65 next time and see it go up 3 more MPG. :shades:
  • big_guybig_guy Member Posts: 372
    I have had my Flex since the end of December. It is more of a weekend car than anything and is used mostly for highway driving. I'm averaging just under 19 mpg in mixed driving. Best economy so far is just unde 23 mpg and the worst was just under 17 mpg. This vehicle has much more interior room than our Acura MDX, has a lot more power, has a more comfortable ride, and gets better mpg. Pretty happy with it.
    edited July 2010
    "Maybe the ride is real great once you get past the looks?"

Actually, it does have a really nice, smooth ride. However, I also like the looks. But of course, I own a gen1 xB as well so the efficient use of a boxy shape appeals to me.

"How much power does this box have?"

Base 3.5L engine has 262 hp and 248 ft-lbs

Ecoboost 3.5L turbocharged engine has 355 hp and 350 ft-lbs
    My Box Boost is so much fun that I dont care what MPG it gets! I changed the display to the one with bars for economy, but it has such a great kick in the pants go pedal that I dont even bother anymore. Im sure I can get decent MPG if I can keep my foot out of it, but damn, its just too much fun playing with the go juice.
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345
    Is the non turbo 3.5 known to get better or worse mileage than the Ecoboost? Anyone know?
    gas mileage is right about the same. The engine displacement is identical, so under cruise conditions, fuel consumption is the same. The main difference between the two is the amount of power the turbos provide, the equivalent horse power of a V8 with the fuel efficiency of a V6. It is also a direct injection engine, similar to a Diesel. It's the driving habits that determine just how well the engine uses fuel, and that is for both types, there are those who are lucky to get 16 MPG in the N/A V6, and there are those, like me, that get 21 MPG in daily driving in the high output V6.

Our Fusion, which is the Sport model, has the same 3.5 V6 as the Flex non turbo version, it gets the same MPG as the 3.0 V6 in the SE/SEL versions. It is a newer engine design than the 3.0, and that helps with MPG, and I see 30+ MPG on the highway with it, which is not bad at all for a 4 door family sedan with 263 HP. Our daily driving in that one is roughly 23 MPG, it is driven more than the Flex, so it has more city miles on it.
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345
    great info here, thanks.

I want to replace my AWD CRV. The seat is one reason as my poor back is making it harder and harder to get comfortable. The seat would suit someone a lot smaller than me. I am torn between initial and down the road fuel cost (as we know gas isn't going to stay at todays prices forever) and comfort/quiet vs AWD. I live on a hill and everytime i come home and it has snowed and I am tired and it is a blizzard out, I think at those times I am glad i have stuck with the AWDs or 4x4's. But on those other occasions, I think how much I'd like to have more comfort for less cost in almost any 2WD vehicle. So your comments about the Fusion and dif engines really is helpful. I'm guessing it is FWD only, but it and the Flex are avail in AWD. Your Flex is AWD isn't it? I have heard the Flex is a very quiet, comfortable and roomy car. I am more than ok with the looks. Are they good vehicles? Have they had issues that you know of? I was looking at used Ford 500's in AWD until I find out they gave a lot of grief. Still don't know if true or not.

This 3.5 sounds like a good engine. I know that if both driven gently, the N/A should do 1 or 2 better mpg i think. Does yours take reg 87 octane?
    The Ecoboost is AWD only, and runs on 87 octane, and has plenty of power on it, no issues at all for 10k miles. As far as MPG they are going to be in the same range as long as you can keep your foot out of it, if not better with the Ecoboost. I have the SEL since I had no use for the NAV, which aside from the perforated leather seats, and HID headlights is the only real difference between it and the Limited. For $99 I got a Tomtom, and saved about $4k. The seats are very comfortable, and it has a nice driving position. The only thing negative I can say about it is the tires are not the greatest, but that is something that can easily be resolved. The Goodyear RSA's are noisy and tend to vibrate when cold. On concrete highways they have a high pitch that gets through the cabin, otherwise the car is fairly quiet. I have 3 kids, and they all love the car, when I put the two little ones in the back seat they can see over the second row passengers heads and look out the front window, cant say that about many cars at all.

The early models of Flex had a problem with driver comfort due to a fixed steering wheel, but the 2010 models have telescopic steering so it is easier to find a comfortable position. It reminds me a lot of my old 1979 LTD wagon, just a bit shorter and a bit taller. Two things Ford can do to improve this car, put a Rear view camera in the mirror like the Fusion has, and the BLIS, and this would make it an AWESOME car. I have gone through several new cars in the past 3 years and this one is the one I have been looking for, plenty of room, good looks, and lots of power.
    So far my overall average is 19 MPG, very good considering how much I tend to mash the gas on this. I have taken a long highway trip with it and saw 27 MPG over a 300 mile stretch of 70 MPH interstate. If I were to be able to keep the egg from breaking, I wouldn't be surprised to see it go past 20 MPG overall average. But whats the fun in that.

The other day I gave a Mustang owner with his GT a run for his money, kept right up with him until we hit 100, sorry that's my limit until I get better brakes installed. He kept looking over at me like WTF??? I laughed as I backed off. Love my EB FLEX. Even with that fun run, still getting 19 MPG. I wonder how well it will do running 93 octane.....
    edited May 2011
    I'm averaging 19 mpg in our '10 Flex Ecoboost. Best I've had is 22.65 on a road trip. It's hard to resist mashing the pedal with the power available on tap .... so my mileage may have been better if I wasn't enjoying it so much. Not too shabby for a 4500 lb, 7 passenger wagon :)
  • flexuser123flexuser123 Member Posts: 4
    edited September 2011
    Find a different car!!!! I got 2011 Ford Flex Titanium Ecobost 3 days ago....I was driving in an unknown territory the sync just stopped working...I lost the navigation, voice command & everything....it's just 3 days old and its giving me problem already.

I commute long everyday for work and I noticed that Flex eats more gas than my Sienna before.
  • neustkgneustkg Member Posts: 35
    I was recently looking (haven't test driven, yet) at the new Explorers. They're supposed to get the ecoboost 4 cylinder next year and I thought it might be a good option for gas savings. But then I read both of the Motor Trend articles that panned it. In the first one, the Ford Explorer w/Ecoboost basically blew up, but since that was a preproduction model, they gave it another chance in a later clip and they still panned it because it's too underpowered of a motor for that size vehicle. They also said that while the Explorer is a 7 passenger vehicle, it's very cramped. I'm still leaning towards a Chevy Traverse. While the gas mileage isn't as good, it's an 8 passenger with room in the 3rd row, AND room behind the third row for some luggage. Not quite as good as our Chevy Venture with all the seats up (or gas mileage), but at least it gives us room for stuff.
  • flexfreakflexfreak Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2009 flex which I bought as a salvage vehicle. It was hit very hard and I worked on it for a year, which I mention because I have had no issues with that. The car gets mostly round about town driving which and range of mileage from 19-21. I added a KandN air filter and picked up maybe 1/2 mpg. It is very difficult to test stuff like this but it didn't go down and definitely went positive.I also installed a Vortec device which goes in to the air intake in front of the mass air. Lastly, I put on a spoiler, which went on top of the tailgate naturally.

All of this was tested last week when I went to Atlanta from Charlotte and I was in complete mileage mode in that I did not have the air on as it evening. This trip is extremely hilly and I kept it in the 60-70 range mostly. I did not accelerate going up the hills but let it fall back with only keeping a steady foot. I then went faster down hill naturally but still kept the pedal the same. I do not know if I got the max I can get, however I got 26.65 . That was not with Ford's computer, but with fill ups with gas leaking out on the ground. That is the only way to get a good idea what you actually get. The max the computer showed was 24+because that is an average. All in all the Flex is a great vehicle in my opinion and Ford's stuff is as good as any in the world and better in many cases. No I do not work for Ford.
    You are right on the money with those numbers, and also shows that the Ecoboost does get the same MPG ratings as the NA V6. Those are almost exactly the same numbers I get with my 201 EB SEL, although I do use AC. My Highway driving wasn't hilly like yours was so it evens the score.

My DD average is 19.2, my highway is just a hair over 27. Something like 27.053 MPG. That was on a 1200 mile all interstate trip.
  • mikephillips81mikephillips81 Member Posts: 3
    I have a '09 Limited AWD and get around 18 MPG / 23 highway. I've owned it for about 5 years now (bought with 12k miles on it less than a year old) and those numbers have relatively stated the same during the entire time I've had it.