Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2011 Toyota Sienna

Comments

• Options
    minivanningminivanning Member Posts: 4
    I'm in the process of buying a 2011 Sienna SE. I'd like to get seat covers and all-weather floor and cargo mats in there as soon as possible, before my kids and bikes have a chance to trash the interior.

Are there any custom seat covers and mats available yet?

If I do get universal seat covers, how do I make sure they don't interfere with the air bags? Is that even an issue with the Sienna?
  • Options
    nobonobo Member Posts: 305
    I guess anything is possible, but unlikely charging your cell phone for 1/2 hour would run the battery down. May have an open circuit somewhere. Time to go to the dealer. Don't want your vehicle to go out of service at a bad time.
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    True, just look at the size of the two batteries.
  • Options
    slowcarslowcar Member Posts: 66
    You meant: short circuit??? Open circuit won't draw current from battery.
  • Options
    samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    Will the van let you charge anything with engine off? Usually the Japanese models (unlike the domestic) turn off the power along with the engine. So you can't charge a cell or GPS with engine off. Check again.
  • Options
    samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    edited April 2010
    Interesting that Chrysler / Dodge vans are also using those... even on Limited models, with setallite radio and navigation and all bells & whistles......
  • Options
    You get residual power for a short while but I believe you're right in that it turns off.

I agree there must be a short, power is leaking somewhere. Make sure all interior lights turn off when you close and lock the doors.
  • Options
    szn1szn1 Member Posts: 12
    edited April 2010
    Haven't seen any NHTSA tests yet. Even though it seems the 11 Sienna was tested in February by IIHS, I could not find it on the net through google/net search.

Weirdly enough, IIHS website does in fact have 11 Sienna tests:

Frontal offset - Good
    Side Impact - Good

Sorry if this is a repost.

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/rating.aspx?id=1270
    http://www.iihs.org/ratings/rating.aspx?id=1297
  • Options
    It's definitely the new model because the last generation Sienna did not score that well in the head restraint test because they were not active at the time.
  • Options
    That's right. 2011 Sienna Rear crash test scores: Good vs 2010 Sienna = Poor

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/head_restraints/headrestraints.aspx?toyota

Unsure why they do not conduct roof-crush tests on minivans.
  • Options
    mojdodyrmojdodyr Member Posts: 23
  • Options
    mojdodyrmojdodyr Member Posts: 23
    Why are people complaining of lack of NAVI and DVD? You should be grateful for that omission - aftermarket DVD and NAVI cost fraction of the Toyota's invoice and are better. All it takes - 2-3 hours at the mechanic shop and you'll have a setup that would make factory installed owners envy (given that there will be sufficient space for the unit).
  • Options
    compcodercompcoder Member Posts: 5
    It's a $299 option at Gaithersburg FitzMall in Maryland
  • Options
    DLuDLu Member Posts: 94
    We were able to get the Limited AWD with Premium package and few other options (MSRP $45,333) for $39,000. Toyota is hurting badly and they want your business. The Limited is too expensive for most minivan buyers and will NOT be moving off the lot. You should definitely get below the invoice price (such as seen on edmunds.com)
  • Options
    I don't know about you, but the few Lexus cars I've driven (ES, RX from the late 2000's) make some engine noise (and not a good sound either; BMW makes a quieter car and more sonorous when revved); the Sienna's is perhaps a bit more (I don't notice it but I may be biased since I bought one) but not noticeably; also, when you actually drive your own, you will soon obsess over trying to keep that stupid "eco" light on as much as possible (fuel economy is 21 so far for me) and it's very quiet if you keep the RPM's below 2k (it's a minivan, drive it gently).
  • Options
    Noise doesn't seem to bother some buyers. With all the talk of Lexus like from some forum posts, I was expecting a quieter cabin in the 2011 Sienna. I was also expecting better quality interior in the Sienna. Unfortunately, my expectations were not met.
  • Options
    Straight sixes do make great noises but that BMW engine should be compared to the straight sixes in the GS300 and IS300 models, which were also smooth. Plus they are long, and usually require a longitudinal layout (so not happening a short-nosed van).

The 2GR V6 uses a timing chain, so it's more noisy, but most models that made the switch from the 3MZ to the 2GR (3.3l to 3.5l V6 basically) also got more sound insulation.

Both engines (BMW's straight six and the Toyota 2GR) made Ward's 10Best Engines list, interestingly.
  • Options
    critical1critical1 Member Posts: 4
    Can someone who has a 2011 XLE tell me if it has wood grain dashboard? Specially the XLE base model with no Nav or Entertainment.

:shades:
  • Options
    inspectoringinspectoring Member Posts: 102
    yes it does have the wood grain..it just not as bad/shiny as last year.
  • Options
    just wondering - people who contemplating the entertainment upgrade - I just checked out the screen and OMG - it is so tiny !!!

I was thinking if you guys thought about just getting ipads w/ wireless headphones for the kids - to me it sounds like a good deal but I want to ask for other people's opinion here so that they might point out something I am missing.
    Thanks
  • Options
    redpearlredpearl Member Posts: 14
    Anyone have input on the fuel efficiency of their 2011 Sienna. I am on my first cross country road trip with my 2009 which I purchased May 1, 2009. Over 2,500 miles with 27 + mpg on primarily interstate with state highways and a few cow paths.
  • Options
    OMG - it is so tiny !!!

I hope that was irony given it's the largest OEM screen in the industry... ;)
  • Options
    The OEM RES screen is huge. The Navi Screen is pretty much industry standard. Are you referring to the Info Computer Display which displays Temp, MPG etc?
  • Options
    Yep - that what I was referring to. Other than the back up camera - is the navi worth it?

My discussions with my brother sort of changed my view and make me think maybe I should get the darn entertainment system and navi just because they are integrated.

Can the OEM RES be integrated into the audio system ?
  • Options
    No no...not really - i just think it was tiny because it is really wide but not tall (top-bottom). I am almost certain it is going to "squeeze" the picture so that everything looks fatter :(
  • Options
    A lot people feel that way about 16x9 widescreen format. You need to get a bigger size for it to feel as big as a 4x3 formatted screen.

I have an aftermarket 12" screen in 4x3 size format. It's huge, but it can partially block my rearview mirror.
  • Options
    frankdux1frankdux1 Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2010
    Does anyone have any ideas for a rubber cargo mat that fits exactly into the rear of the 2011 Sienna. I would like one that covers the entire area behind the second row seats when the third row is put down. Thanks.
  • Options
    tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,605
    Hey Juice-
    This one is for you. I laughed...

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• Options
    Straight ownin' bake salez
    with my cupcake skillz

:D

Like it or not, it's an effective campaign. You're the 3rd person to send me that link. Everyone's talking about it.
  • Options
    kingofnothinkingofnothin Member Posts: 14
    any word/inof obtained re: cargo mat??
  • Options
    ericd12ericd12 Member Posts: 7
    edited May 2010
    Last month we noticed water in the rear storage well shortly after taking delivery of the van - we had been driving it in the rain. We took the car back for service the first time with only 140 miles on it! (msg #333 in this forum). After one and a half weeks we get the car back and the service department claims they corrected a seal. A couple weeks later it rains again and water again pools in the rear well. We are now waiting for a new replacement for our van. Wow - Toyota quality is not what it used to be!
  • Options
    At least it sounds like you are getting a new van to replace the leaker.

The two 2011 Siennas I test drove also did not give me warm and fuzzies about the build quality.
  • Options
    I'd take a pitcher of water and pour it over the hatch before I accepted delivery. ;)

A new van seems like a satisfactory resolution, though. Wonder what they will do with yours? Tear it apart for quality control inspections, hopefully.
  • Options
    perhaps you are talking about the secondary little info screen sitting high up top? that's the std screen for the rear-view camera and, yes, it's tiny. in those equipped with navi, the tiny upper screen is for MPG info, climate control status, etc. rearview camera moves down to the nav screen (and it is a good size).

personally, I hate the navi system. it is cumbersome to use compared to our Garmi Nuvi, for example. takes longer to enter destinations, voice prompts are poorly-timed (warnings are usually too early). Too bad the Limited usually gets stuck with that "option" unless you order one ... those who are thinking about getting one, try it out first! dang expensive option to waste your money on if you don't like it.
  • Options
    I tend to agree with you. I think the body panel gaps are a mile wide, the cheap plastic and fake wood are an insult, etc etc. Unfortunately I wanted a minivan, and they are the only ones offering AWD. Don't get me wrong, I don't regret getting this particular vehicle because it gets the job done. However, Toyota is definitely slipping.
  • Options
    yatesjoyatesjo Member Posts: 186
    edited May 2010
    I had my first up close look at a 2011 Sienna today... and was not impressed. A family at church just got one loaded up with almost every option on the list- AWD limited with navi, entertainment, lazyboy seats. The faux wood trip looks very faux and the dash was awful to the touch- hard, rough textured plastic on both in front and on top. Things like storage cubbies in the door rests were gone too. I felt no jealousy as I climbed into my 2008.
  • Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    I couldn't get past the cheap, shiny plastic - kind of like the Venza. I wonder if the 2011 Ody will go the cheapo route too? Maybe they're emulating Chrysler!
  • Options
    tsu670tsu670 Member Posts: 293
    "...Maybe they're emulating Chrysler! "

It's been a while. Just stopped by to see how everyone is doing. Regarding Chrysler, we've had our 2010 T&C Limited for two months and absolutely love it. Zero defects (so far!). I had scratched the T&C off my shopping list after reading horrible reviews of the 2008 models, but that was then and this is now. After seeing the new Sienna we decided to take a look at Chrysler after all.

The probematic '08 Chrysler (Caravan and T&C) was the first year model of their 5th generation. The '10 Sienna is the first year model of their 3rd generation. It isn't surprising there are some quality issues. I imagine the Sienna problems will be worked out by the 2011 model year.
  • Options
    minimommyminimommy Member Posts: 13
    Salesman said V6 engine and 6 speed transmission in 2011 Sienna are new to Sienna but not new -- they've been in other Toyotas for a while. Am nervous to jump into new model if engine/tranny are not tested. Am debating whether to jump from Honda Odyssey with the probs they have had w/tranny so 2010 Ody probably out and they'll have new tranny in 2011 Ody. Trying to pick the more tested of the 2 (2011 Sienna vs 2011 Ody)... and Toyota more willing to "deal" now, maybe more so as 2011 Ody debut comes closer. Any info on whether 2011 Sienna engine/tranny have been reliable in past? I know Toyota having troubles now, but I'm hoping it will only make them more responsive and responsible in future. Thank you.
  • Options
    v1.0 Syndrome.

I've been lucky. My first-year cars have been fine, better than expected actually. :shades:
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    The 2GR V6 has been in the Sienna since 2007, so it's not even new to this model.

The U660E - 6 speed has been used in the Camry V6 and other models so Toyota has made approximately 11 billion of those.

It replaces the U151E 5 speed in the outgoing Sienna model.

Ody's trans was improved for MY2007, I think, but per Consumer Reports Sienna was still more reliable.

Good luck with whatever you purchase. :shades:
  • Options
    I agree -- the little things are not necessarily great for the first year, but major components are going to be solid. Waiting 2 more years will definitely be smart, but you can't find 2010 Siennas around New England anymore; if you want an AWD minivan, this is it. :)
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Toyota's 'Swagger Wagon' scores high on weekly viral media chart

NEW YORK -- Two significant new video campaigns battled it out for the top slot on Advertising Age's weekly viral video chart: Google's "Chrome Speed Tests" and Toyota's "Swagger Wagon."

Both got some blog coverage last week; Google because its Chrome browser is taking share in the web browser market from Firefox and Microsoft's Internet Explorer; and Toyota because, well, since when do you use YouTube to sell a minivan? Each video gathered a bit more than 1.8 million views last week.

Full Story:

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100513/RETAIL03/100519924/1- - 018#ixzz0nuGa7pp3

And in case anyone's been living in a turtle shell all month:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql-N3F1FhW4

Straight ownin' bake sales
    With my cupcake skillz

:D
  • Options
    jacobsmomma1jacobsmomma1 Member Posts: 32
    How is the replacement van? Just wondering if the new van is also leaking. We got one this past weekend and I tempted to pour some water on it. :D
  • Options
    Do you want your new van to leak, so Toyota will take it back?
  • Options
    holleholle Member Posts: 10
    Can anyone tell me how you operate the 2011 sienna limited DVD while in motion? i currently own the 08 model and the lack of controls for the adults is beyond frustrating.
    I see that the DVD unit has been moved to the front (where it should be)..and i read that you can control (play, stop, pause..etc) the DVD from the touch screen navigation. but is this true when the van is in MOTION and driving? my 08 model can only use these touch screen controls if the parking brake is on. Thanks!!
  • Options
    Had an hour to kill while my wife was getting a pedicure, so I checked out another 2011. Hadn't seen it since the Auto Show circuit back in January, and those were probably pre-production anyway.

Dislikes:
    * even the brochure was cost-cut
    * some soft touch materials are gone
    * 8th seat is more Ody than 04-10 Sienna

* express up/down windows on all 4 (!)
    * 17"s on LE model
    * 3 zone climate control
    * low profile wiper blades

The paper used for the new brochure is thin, looks disposable. Funny since makes like Subaru have been using higher quality brochures recently, so that stood out. Who cares, I suppose.

The dash looks good but feels hard. The upper glove box is just cheap. You see the hollow plastic hinges and can feel and even hear the cheapness.

I sat in the 8th seat, and it's really a bridge, like the one in the Ody. A little wider, perhaps, but not a place I'd want to spend more than a short ride in. I saw the cup holders in the base that stays behind even when you remove it, but that would not bother me at all because the seats slide forward and leave a huge opening for 3rd row access. If you have little kids in safety seats that may be a hassle, but by the time you're in booster seats it won't matter any more.

So that's the bad. Now the good.

Base wheels on the LE are nice 17"s. I didn't drive it but I'm sure that'll do better than the mushy 65 series tires on 16"s on my 2007 LE.

All 4 power windows have one-touch up and down, all 4! I expect that on an Audi, perhaps, but certainly not on a Sienna LE. Pleasant surprise.

Same for a backup cam while we're at it. And 3 zone climate control.

Finally, they went to low-profile wipers. Minor touch, but they look nicely streamlined and probably help reduce noise and drag.

All in all, I'd really miss the 8th seat, but other than that, I'd have to say they made more improvements than they had cost-cutting measures.
  • Options
    Your assessment of the 2011 Sienna interior is same as those that started complaining when the Venza was introduced. It seems like Toyota is going backward on interior quality appointments.

It is not the cup holders that remain after the 8th seat is removed that bother me. It is the seat bases that remain after you remove the second row of seats. (At this time the cup holders come out with one of the two seats) These bases are just plain in the way if you need all the cargo room in the van behind the front seats.
  • Options
    I briefly looked at a Venza, too. The Venza still has some padded surfaces, the dash material is better for instance.

They also had a Camry Hybrid in the showroom, and it had a nicely padded dash, best among the three of them, actually.

I wonder if Honda will follow suit, i.e. cost cutting on the materials.

At least Toyota added content to offset that.

I did not remove the seats completely, so I didn't notice the seat bases.