Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• rljslickrljslick Member Posts: 59
    Man that's very interesting reading, it's will be nice to see one! Don't sound like anything I want since the 2002 is big enough for me.
  • llslicellslice Member Posts: 15
    It's normal for the computer to keep the tranny from shifting into higher gears until after the truck has warmed up a little.Helps speed up the warm up process so the truck runs more efficently.Haven't fully read the owners manual for my 4runner,but I remember seeing that in the manual for my 88 Celica.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    Its actually an emissions thing. Once the catyletic converter is warmed up, the transmission will shift into overdrive. All new cars share this trait.
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    magchase: Does the engine sound like it is revving way too high when it is still in 2nd gear at 35 mph?

I don't have a 4Runner, so I don't know about its shift points (and I'm assuming it is a 4-speed auto tranny, with 4th as the O/D). But it sounds high to me for 2nd gear, cold engine or no.
  • leomortleomort Member Posts: 453
    I'm looking for some opinions and advice. I currently own a '94 Toyota Paseo with 176,200 miles which has been very reliable. My first Toyota. I drive 25,000 miles a year. I'm looking at used 4Runners SR5 4x4, either a '99 or '00 dpending how long my Paseo holds up. So this would be a three year old 4Runner. I would need to take out the auto loan for 3years. So if the car had average mileage when bought used, the car would be six years old and have 111,000 miles on it by the time its paid off. I plan on keep the vehicle "until the wheels fall off". But I'm a little hesitant about having a six year old car by the time its paid off especially with the mileage I put on. Any comforting words? Is this a wise move in your opinion?

Leo
  • jasanjasan Member Posts: 12
    Average price for a 99 SR5 is $23,000, 2000 SR5 $25,000 (kelley blue book, I averaged the dealer and private seller prices). If you have excellent credit you can get an interest rate of 6.5%. Scroll back a couple of pages and read some of the articles, if you can get a 2002 with 0%-4.9% financing for $30,000 you would almost be saving money, not to mention the warranty and mileage issue. I purchased a 2001 with the sport package and a couple of other options for under $30,500 with 4.9% for 5 years. If I were presented with your situation I would buy new.
    Just my 2 cents.
  • violentgremlinviolentgremlin Member Posts: 3
    I am just at 37k on my '99 SR5 Highlander 5 speed (4 Runner Highlander, not the Camry Highlander) and starting to notice a little wear on the ties but I know they will need to be replaced possbily by the summer. Does anyone know the reccomended tread life on the Stock Dunlop's from '99? I don't have the specs but I guess they are 31"s that came with the thing.

I'd like to add something bigger on the next go a round but not loose the capabillity to do 75-80mph on the highway and not raise the center of gravity or going into any kind of lift. Any suggestions that I can add to the factory rims, add some height and not risk rolling the thing over on the highway. I have to drive at least once a month for work to VA and back and if I had to drive any slower I would kill myself.

Other than that, the car is great.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Check out Edmund's Loan Calculator to find out what your payments will be. The really neat feature is that it is bundled with Edmunds True Market Value (TMV)!

tidester

Host

SUVs

• dididadidida Member Posts: 4
    QUICK RESPONSE, PLS!
  • dididadidida Member Posts: 4
    I test drove a 96' 4Runner and had the same problem as post #172,

"Upon coming to a stop or on highway, when suddenly letting my foot off the brake, I get a noticeable "thunk" and the shift lever jumps (but stays in gear)."

Do anyone know why? Does it mean the transmission is bad? Should I buy it? It has 87k miles on it now.
  • sdeamesdeame Member Posts: 14
    I am being offered a Toyota 4Runner Limited at 1000 over invoice NOT including the rebate.

So what do you all think. I walked out twice already.

Give me some feedback.

Thanks
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    I've seen a lot better than that, but it all depends on where you are looking.
  • leomortleomort Member Posts: 453
    sorry for the long delay in responding back. I don't usually hang out in the SUV board. I think I could get a 3yr old 4Runner SR5 4x4 for 18k at auction. I'd need to take the loan out for 3yrs. I drive an average of 25k/yr. That would put the car at 111,000 miles before being paid off. Just wondering if SUV's are not economically feasible for me even though I'd love to have one.

Leo
  • babygroverbabygrover Member Posts: 1
    We are looking into purchasing a new 4Runner since used pricing in my area is not much less than new. I live in Upstate New York and have been told that the price on any model of 2002 4Runner would be sold to me for $500.00 over invoice (+ tax). Is this a good price or should I keep looking?
  • doudoudiddoudoudid Member Posts: 76
    before i bought my sequoia, dealer offered me $5000 off MSRP for a sport version 4runner, especially when the new 4runner is coming out soon, i think you can do better than this. $500 over invoice nowadays is for new vehicle like sequoia. but i live in san jose, cal. though. hope this will help.
  • hoge1hoge1 Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE A NEW 2001 ONE FOUR RUNNER. I HAVE A VIBRATION @67-74 MILES PER HOUR.NO VIBRATION IN THE STEERING WHEEL. DEALER ALREADY REBALANCED ALL THE TIRES. DEALER LOAD TESTED TIRES. STILL HAVE VIBRATION. TRUCK DOES IT IN OVER DRIVE OR NEUTRAL. ANYONE.
  • fourrunnerfourrunner Member Posts: 17
    Sorry to hear this. I did not experience the vibration on my new 2001 4runner. I took it to 85/90 mile without any effort. It is very smooth.
  • bwjones1bwjones1 Member Posts: 10
    I have also had my 4runner at about 85 with no vibration felt whatsoever. Naturally the wheels are the first suspect with this sort of thing, but I also had this problem with a Dodge RAM truck and it turned out to be the actual drive-shaft going from the transmission to the rear differential that was the culprit. If your dealer is certain it is not the wheels/tires causing the vibration, have them examine the driveshaft for balance. If that is the problem, balancing the driveshaft or replacement of the driveshaft are your options.

Best Regards,
    Nothing wrong with asking for a better deal.
  • jzhang_97jzhang_97 Member Posts: 1
    Would anyone care to share the price paid for a 2002 4Runner SR5 2WD with Sports and moonroof options?

The best deal I could get so far from a local dealer (San Jose, CA) is $250 over dealer's invoice which is above $240 over that posted on edmunds.com. The dealer said the difference is for their advertising cost paid to Toyota.

So, it's turned out to be $500 over the edmunds.com published invoice. Does anyone actually received a better deal than this?

The message #915 by doudoudid said he was offered $5,000 off MSRP for a sport version 4runner, which is about $1,700 *below* invoice. How a dealer could do such a deal and still make money?

TIA.
    I finally was able to test drive one of these trucks and it was awesome!! I really loved it. I test drive a 2002 Limited with every option in the world. I was a little surprise of the small cable, but had good cargo area. The truck wasn't very wide and a little cramp but I didn't have problem with the headroom at all. Getting in and out was a chore, but I can get use to it. The Limited was the only one on the lot, the salesman said that they sold out of every one but that one.
    He said it would take about a month to order one, and that I could get leather without buying a Limited. I told him that I see him after the Milwaukee Auto Show in February.
    Have the tight cockpit been any problem with you owners of the 4Runner?
    BTW, the salesman told me that we should start seeing info about the 2003 in March and that expected release date of the 2003 was Nov. or Dec. of 2002. He also said that the truck would be a V-8 and that it would be wider but he wasn't sure about longer.
  • buzzlightbuzzlight Member Posts: 44
    A friend of mine who sells Toyotas was just told by a Toyota Rep that the 2003 totally redesigned 4 Runner will be out in the spring of 2002.
    That's a decent price for your area. Best I've seen is invoice in SoCal, not worth the trip if you ask me.

There is definitely an additional advertising fee charged in your region, the dealer is acting in good faith.
    I hope your right for two reasons: One is that I would love to see the change sooner before later, and I hope that bring the price of the 2002s down that much sooner!
  • jeffjeffjeffjeff Member Posts: 54
    I certainly hope Toyota doesn't screw up the look of the new 4Runner because the current generation looks really sharp, in my opinion, its the sharpest looking SUV I've ever seen. From different sources, I have found that the new 4Runner may have a front end that resembles the new Rav4 and Highlander SUV's. If it turns out to be this way, the aggressive factor of the 4Runner will certainly disappear. A few reasons why I have not purchased a Runner yet is because I am waiting so anxiously to see what type of engine this new one is going to get and if the inside will have more room, as far as width goes. Many people say that the current generation engine is underpowered at 183HP. I do know for a fact, that most SUV's of this size do have much more HP than 183. I'll tell you this though, it seems that Toyota quality can't be beaten as far as dependability and reliability goes. If Toyota would just fix a few things on the 4Runner,(IE)things mentioned earlier it would definitely be one of the best SUV's out there to date. Lets all wait and see what the 2003 model has to offer, I wish it would hurry up!
    I totally agree with you Jeffjeff, the aggressive look is why I keep going back to the 4 Runner. There is better proforming SUV out there, but there isn't many that look better then the 4 Runner. I'm also worried that they will change the look of the 4 Runner. I have a 97 Rav-4 and I was very upset when Toyota changed the look of the Rav-4. The new Rav-4 look like so many other mini SUV out there now, and now I'm worried that the new 4 Runner will look like all the rest out there. Personally I can't wait until Summer to see it, but I really don't want a SUV that's larger then the 4 Runner is now.
  • jeffjeffjeffjeff Member Posts: 54
    rljslick

True, true, I agree with you as well. I really don't need an SUV that is much better than the current Runner either. I'm just a single guy that wants a cool nice sized truck that's all. With the V8 probably comes more gas consumption and with the increased size probably comes harder maneuverability in tight areas. When the 2003 makes it's debut, it's going to be a quick decision for me, either wait a few months and see how it performs or buy a 2002, the last styling for that generation and probably the "best looking"! Isn't that sad, I don't even know what the new one will look like, but I already have this feeling Toyota is going to mess up. It seems like they always mess up a good thing.
    LOL!!! Yes, Toyota really blow the Rav-4 that's for sure. I have the same feeling also about not liking the new 4 Runner. The worst thing they could do is change the body style to much, like they did with the Rav-4. I planning to get a 2002 Sport 4 Runner sometime after the first of the year. I can't wait, driving my wife nuts!
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    from the DC Auto Show, and was talking to a Toyota rep. He confirmed that there's a new 4Runner coming next fall, and it will have the 4.7L V8 as an option. He also said it will be roomier than the current 4Runner.

So it sounds to me that this new Lexus GX 470 (to be shown at the upcoming Detroit Auto Show), the Land Cruiser Prado/Colorado, and the new 4Runner will all come from this new platform.

Bob
    That's interesting, did he say how much roomier the 4Runner will be? I heard that it will have a third row seat. Sound like a very large SUV. Can't wait to see it!!!
  • akgakg Member Posts: 85
    After many months of anticipation and reserve about whether to buy a 2001 or 2002, or to wait for the 2003, I made my decision to buy a new 2001. Got a better than great deal, got assistance from Cliffy the Great(I haven't forgotten the sweatshirt...running behind with Christmas and all...)and here's what I figured. I would rather buy the last year of a successful body style, 6+ years of working out the kinks, then buy the first year of a new one.

I think it's prudent to reason that if you get an amazing deal now on a 2002, keep it for a couple years, or until the new body style has a few destined 'bugs' worked out. You can always sell the old one without lots of $$$$ lost and upgrade to the newer model, which by the way won't be near the deal you can get now!

I've never seen a first year model of anything that the manufacturer hasn't had to modify right off the bat....End of sermon
    rljslick- No word on the size, other than it will be roomier...

akg- Normally I would agree with you, but we're talking about Toyota here, not Chrysler... ;)

Bob
    Glad you're still happy with your purchase. I'm glad I was able to help.
    well, good for you akg! You made a decision and stuck by it! Bad thing about my situation is that I can't find anymore 2001s around SE Wisconsin. My wife and I drove all over and really didn't find much so I'm going to have to order one, and I don't think you can order a 2001 any more so I'm going to order a 2002. BTW, the 2002 will be the last year of this body style, at less I think it is. I'm holding to my conviction and waiting until the Milwaukee Auto Show in February. Boy, sure going to wait that long!!!
  • cajins1cajins1 Member Posts: 1
    What causes the rear ends of the 90-95 4runners to sag? And does anyone know what could be done to fix it?
  • jtjackson33jtjackson33 Member Posts: 17
    I am brand new to this msg board and am looking for some advice/direction/information on purchasing my first suv. I would be looking for a vehicle probably 6, 8 or perhaps 10 years old. I have been considering the 4runner (early 90's) but am unfamiliar with which particular years might be best (or what the differences are between the years). An acquaintence of mine has an 89 4runner with only 60,000 miles (100,000 km) and would like to sell it but I'm wondering if it might be just a few years too old (although the mileage is good). It is also a v4 (don't know if I should hold out for a v6). These are all questions I am looking for feedback on from experience people 'in the know'. Perhaps I should be considering a different vehicle altogether - maybe a pathfinder. Any comments that might help me zero in on a decision? Thanks.
  • akgakg Member Posts: 85
    Don't worry about not finding the 2001, you know that the incentives on the 2002 are going to be massive. Also, I don't care how awesome a product Toyota puts out.....there are always modifications to be made after a new vehicle's preview.

And I still maintain that the $$$$ to be saved on the last year of an excellent 6 year run will be worth it when you want to upgrade that style in a couple years. I got my 2001 for $26,700 pretty heavily equipt(about $5000 of the MSRP), and in two years it might be worth the same amount, or not far from it.
  • spfoteyspfotey Member Posts: 131
    does anybody know??

i am looking for an SUV that provides me with the 6th and 7th seat. The Sequoia is too large and the MDX just feels like it was built by a computer. I have an ML320 but want something else this time around...
  • karen56karen56 Member Posts: 14
    I am getting ready to trade in my 2001 Subaru Forester for a 2002 4-Runner with 4WD. The reason I am trading is the chemical smell in the Forester caused by the cosmoline (spelling?) that they spray on the undercarriage before shipping the car over from Japan. Since this car is also made in Japan, I was just wondering if it also has a chemical smell since I assume they spray something on the undercarriage as well. I kept waiting for the smell in the Forester to go away, but after a year and 22,000 miles, I give up. And I sure would hate to buy another car with the same nose-burning horrible smell - which also gives anyone in the car a headache. Please let me know if you've noticed any smells in your 4-Runner. Thanks!
    Cosmoline can't be what you are smelling. Cosmoline is a grease that is applied to the exhaust system and some engine components for shipping, but it burns off after 40 to 200 miles. It is impossible that you would still be smelling it after 22K miles.

What is more likely is that the dealership applied an undercoating to the car and placed it too close to the muffler or exhaust pipe. Undercoating is a heavy black substance that looks like tar.

Toyotas do come with some undercoating in the wheel wells, but it is a different type. It is more like a hard plastic and is not placed anywhere where it can burn.

FYI, cosmoline is the same stuff that the military used in WWII to ship M1 rifles to the troops.
  • karen56karen56 Member Posts: 14
    Thanks for the response. I feel the same as you in that I don't understand why the smell is still there after all this time - although when I brought it up months ago over on the Subaru Forester board other owners knew exactly what I was talking about. They called it the Subaru new car stench - and one described it as sitting in the middle of a bottle of super glue. Doesn't matter now - we bought the 4-Runner - I just hope the smell doesn't pop up in this one as well. Love the car!
    I sure hope you are right, I drove around again today and didsn't see many on the lots! I've been wondering about incentives for the 2002, I'm going to miss out on the Toyotatron 2002 by a few weeks and wondering if they will do anything about the 2002s models. I've been reading that the forecast for the 2002 model year will also be very poor.
  • bingo10bingo10 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same situation like you.
    Did you get your 4 Runner yet? The dealer will charge me $500.00 over the invoice and 0% for 36 months
  • mrwhipplemrwhipple Member Posts: 378
    You might want to consider the V6 engine. They provide better torque to get the vehicle moving. Especially when you have a couple of people in it or loading it up for a road trip or something. Both engines a very reliable. I think the '89 V6 had 145 hp. They increased it to 150 hp in '90 with 180 lb-ft of torque & that engine remained in the 4runner until the '95 redesign. Those have around 183 hp in them with 217 lb-ft of torque. I'm not sure if the earlier models had airbags or not. Maybe someone else may know. There were quite a few changes in the '95 to current model 4runners. They engine changed to a double overhead cam design. They are a little smoother & more powerful. The front suspension changed from A-Arms to Double Wishbones. Better control with coil-over shockes. Distributor-less ignition & I think the speed-sensing steering. I'm not sure when the latter was added.

Hope this helps.
    on the new Lexus GX 470, which I suspect is the Lexus version of the '03 4Runner. I spoke to a Toyota rep the other day at the Washington DC Auto Show, and he mentioned that the new 4Runner would have the V8 as an option.

Bob

http://www.lexus.com/about/news/popups/pr_2001/pr_2001_12_17.html
  • hikeonhikeon Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 SR5 4Runner w/ moonroof. I have been starting to hear noises coming from the rear of the vehicle. At first, I thought it was the seatbelt latch slapping against the plastic body molding, but after securing the latch, the noise continues. Passengers have indicated that the noise seems to be coming from the headliner near the passenger side rear seat. The noise is mostly present on rougher road surfaces, and sounds like something is loose in the headliner. (maybe something in the moonroof assembly or the seatbelt assembly?) I have owned this vehicle for just over a year and have about 28K miles.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is it common for the 4Runner to start developing rattles like this with so few miles? Would something like this be covered by the factory warantee?

I will be taking the vehicle in for a service in a couple of weeks and intend to have the dealer's service dept. look into the problem, but if anyone has any information, I would appreciate having information before going to the dealer.

Thanks,
    I don't know about your region, but here in the Central Atlantic Region, all incentives are for both 2001 and 2002 Runners. They expire on Jan 2.
    Same here in the Midwest Cliffy!
  • cpintucsoncpintucson Member Posts: 41
    We went to the Phoenix autoshow yesterday and a Toyota salesman told me that the 2003 4Runner should be in the show room in March.

Does anyone have any more information on the '03 besides V8 and third seat? The salesman said the '03 will be a total redesign.

I'm 6'2'' and would love to get a 4Runner except my line of sight is directly into the top of the windshield. A little more headroom, maybe 2 inches, would be nice. It's not like I'm a giant.

I considered the Sequoia, but just don't want to clean that much space in the garage.

p.s. Almost bought the 2002 Sequoia yesterday on the way home from the autoshow. The fleet manager agreed to 500.00 over invoice and we were prepared to write the check.

The salesman started to play that back and forth to the manager B.S. and our kids (4 yrs. and 3 yrs.) became too restless - so we left.

Don't you love care salesman? The whole car dealer, car salesman process makes me sick!
  • rkay1rkay1 Member Posts: 1
    Everytime I fill up, I've noticed that I can add an additional 3 gallons to my tank after the gas station fill nozzle initially clicks off. It's difficult to fill these last 3 gallons, as the tank only accepts 0.1 gallons at time from this point. Has anyone out there had any similar experiences?