Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Toyota Sienna

Comments

• wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Be sure you understand how and when the Sienna is actually AWD (rarely) and more importantly when it ISN'T AWD. And ateixeira is correct, with front wheelspin/slip detection due to engine torque instead of simply adding rear wheel torque the Trac system goes into "limp" mode, engine dethrottling and front braking.

Idiots.
  • toyota2011toyota2011 Member Posts: 5
    Haven't asked about Laser Cruise Control, But you can have (may depend on the dealership) front and rear sonar added. I got extras too, including rear sonar. My distributor charges $545 for color matched and $454 for plain black (that includes installation). :shades:
  • toyota2011toyota2011 Member Posts: 5
    My Toyota Sienna 2011 XLE comes with tinted windows. I live in a very sunny and hot climate and a friend's brother that works for the dealer said I should consider adding Window Tint over the factory tinted windows. Is that normal? A good idea? Advice please. Lifetime Warranty $460. Thanks. :blush:
  • nobonobo Member Posts: 305
    Yes, there is no problem adding aftermarket tint to factory tinted windows. You might want to check with state and local laws on window tint. Each state has its own laws. Depending on where you live, the laws may or may not be enforced. There are plenty of drivers that either don't know or choose to ignore tint laws. Aftermarket tint can be scratched, as it is installed on the inside of the windows. If you are serious about the tint, get a couple of price quotes. Also do some research on the internet about tint. The quality of the tint is important, as the cheaper tint will not hold up after a long period of time.
    The reflective aspect of the factory "tint" might be more efficient at blocking sunlight heat content than is an actual "dark" tint. (St, d)ealers don't care, they're just there to pocket the money.

Adding "tint" on top of, "behind", the factory reflective surface material may not do anything more than darkening the interior.
  • key4871key4871 Member Posts: 13
    Anyone else have trouble between the XLE and LTD and making a decision?

Looking at the DVD and not nav and trying to see if the other stuff is worth the extra $5k or so.
  • jeb3779jeb3779 Member Posts: 16
    •Includes Voice-Activated Touch-Screen DVD Navigation System with Panorama Camera

Does this mean that there is a dvd player?
    Our Honda has a DVD based nav, it's not a dvd player.

However, salesperson said you could watch the dvd playing on RES while car was in park....can anyone verify this?
  • x4444x4444 Member Posts: 1
    7 passenger base Sienna 2011 4 cyl
    Final price (including all (ship 800, fee 99, tag 290, MD 6% tax)) was $24511.
    Is it a good price?

Does anybody know how to install roof rail on it?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Your price seems high...I paid $170 on a 1998 Forester for SolarGard. Metallic film costs more but mine lasted 9 years no problems.

While I was getting mine done a Land Cruiser was having tint applied, and he already had tint. The combined effect was limo dark.
  • victor23victor23 Member Posts: 201
    Report: Toyota crash data suggests driver error - Yahoo! News

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100713/ap_on_bi_ge/us_toyota_recall
  • dbtdbt Member Posts: 298
    Follow up report says NHTSA has not reached any conclusion yet, and that this "early" release was "planted" by Toyota: http://www.leftlanenews.com/report-toyota-planted-false-nhtsa-info.html
  • samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    I am puzzled by optional the ultra-wide DVD screens in the 2011 Sienna (Will also be in the new 2011 Honda Odyssey).

What is the point of watching 2 videos on one large screen? Isn't that very distracting and difficult to focus? It also blocks the drivers rear view. Wouldn't 2 separate DVD screens be a much better choice and smarter, both for those watching, and for driver view? It could be installed either on the roof or on the back of front seats.

Or do what Chrysler did. One regular screen for the center row seats and another one for the rear seats, for separate viewing choices.

I think that the idea of one wide screen is not smart. Am I missing something?
    Japanese........GIMICKTRY...!!
  • faultysiennafaultysienna Member Posts: 10
    At our local Toyota dealership that we are getting our brand new 2011 Sienna investigated, another brand new Sienna came in that same week with the same identical same problem (liftgate stopped working, and was in fact bent out of shape on both cars).

The dealership is now investigating what is happening to our batch atleast. It was purchased in July.

We opened a case with Toyota Corporate in CA. That was 2 weeks ago. So far, nothing.

IF YOU ARE EXPERIENCING LIFTGATE, SLIDING DOOR, ELECTRONICS OR BRAKING PROBLEMS WITH YOUR 2011 SIENNA, HERE IS WHAT YOU CAN DO:

You can ALL call Lawrenceville Toyota in NJ and report your problems, as the rep from Corporate in Tokyo is there. 1-888-369-9136.

The more Toyota Sienna 2011 complaints one dealership gets, it will force Toyota to look at all Siennas in an in-depth way, and they cannot call it isolated incidents that were caused by the consumers. They will not be able to to send each customer away just like that - if they get a whole host of reports at one location, regardless of what state you live in, they will be forced to address this isse.

Everyone with Toyota Sienna 2011 purchased within the last 2 months (May - July 2010) pls call Lawrenceville Toyota at 888-369-9136, ask to speak with George or Renee, state your minivan's problem, and atleast ONE dealership will be geting 1,000 complaints rather than 1,000 dealerships getting on complaint each. That way, Toyota Corp will be forced to address the issue that SOMETHING IS DEFINITELY DEFECTIVE WITH THE TOYOTA SIENNA 2011.

Thanks. Good luck everyone with your Siennas.
  • DLuDLu Member Posts: 94
    edited July 2010
    We got the AWD, took a road trip, hit a pothole in Chicago, and could not find anyone that carries that run-flat with same size. CR just did a test of the new Sienna; apparently the AWD accelerates to 60mph a bit faster. Otherwise, If you live in a city where they plow your streets regularly, I would skip the AWD. The stupid run-flats are hard to find in a pinch if you're on a trip, cost between $202 and $280 EACH, and will give you a slightly worse ride.

BTW I agree that winter tires are a great way to go with FWD.
    I think that the only difference here is that you can only get the panoramic 2nd row moon/sunroof with the Limited (and the stupidest reason why I got the Limited); everything else you should be able to get in a package.

I think that, considering the poor fit-and-finish of the interior, the Sienna is a great $25k car (powertrain and standard safety features are quite nice), but a TERRIBLE $40k-$45k car. I am regretting getting the Limited, wish I got the LE instead.

I shaved $6k off the deal back in April, so I was surprised at that great deal, plus a very low interest rate, and made a rash decision.
  • dutchinwdutchinw Member Posts: 1
    We use to have an 06 Limited AWD with Nav and convenience.
    If you don't need the extra sun roof, lounge chairs, radar controlled cruising (which never worked in the rain and I live in Seattle), you could opt for an XLE with the Entertainment package. We just bought a XLE FWD with the premium nav/dvd and love it. Everything pretty much Limited except for the badging and the price.

What we love in 2011 - panoramic view, improved voice activated navi, longer sliding rear seats, 6 speed auto tranny, acura-like feather steering, dual screen dvd for the boys, ipod integration via USB

What we miss - fold-in rear view mirror, front and rear sonar (XLE premium only has rear sonar).

What we don't miss - poor mileage (AWD averaged 14-15 city), smaller engine (06 was smaller 3.3L), terrible stereo, run flats (3 sets in 55,000 miles)
  • samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    edited August 2010
    As expected, the picky Consumer Reports was not very happy with the 2011 redesign of the Sienna (Sept. 2010), Noting the following:

"...while the redesigned Toyota Sienna is a very good vehicle, it doesn't measure up to the previous model, which has been our top-rated minivan for 3 years. The Sienna is still roomy and fuel efficient and has a smooth ride, but a drop in interior fit and finish and quietness, among other things, contributed to a drop in its overall test score from 93 (out of 100) to only 80 for the redesign..."

"... Toyota's redesigned 2011 Sienna is still a good choice among minivans, but it has slipped in our ratings. Fit and finish isn't as good as in the previous model, the cabin isn't as quiet, and handling is middling. it used to compare head-to-head with the Honda odyssey; now it test score is similar to the Kia Sedona's...."

"... The Sienna corners like a big vehicle, so it's not fun to drive. Steering is vague, lacks precision, and is too light..."

About the leg rest seats on the Limited: "...That's nice, but it's like having a first-class feature in coach because there isn't enough room for an adult's legs when they're propped up.."

"... The leather seats and switchgear are well done, but some dashboard plastics are hard and look cheap. There are many rough edges and minor misalignments..
    ."

Of course they also have some nice things to say, about the roomy, open, airy feeling, big nicely padded seats, smooth ride, good engine/transmission; still, it's unusual that CR should rate a Toyota with so many complaints.

Hopefully Toyota is already working on an improved version........
  • yatesjoyatesjo Member Posts: 186
    CR is actually dead-on with my impression of the new Sienna. I spent some time crawling through one recently while I had a service done on our '08.

The dash material is hideous to the touch. It is hard and rough. The surface pattern is similar to the Venza, however where the Venza uses plastic on the lower and soft, rubbery material on the top, the Sienna uses cheap, hard plastic all around. It seems like they were trying to do a textile pattern as opposed to the leather pattern on most vehicles, but in hard plastic it is very course and nasty to touch.

The pseudo-8th seat in the model I looked at wouldn't snap securely in place. I moved the seats around, took it in and out of place and there was no obvious damage, but it never seemed to go in right for safe travel. It was also much less comfortable, with the bolsters of the outboard seats squeezing into my sides, than the true 8th-seat of the previous generation and makes me really glad I got mine when I did.

Storage spaces are bigger, but fewer. Total storage space may be a wash with much bigger upper and lower glove compartments and a big bin in the console between the seats, but I like my '08s clever nooks to stick things into, like under armrests, under the passenger seat and the bin a the bottom of dash console- all gone in the '11. Then they take up a big chunk of the dash center with two awkwardly and uselessly placed cup holders. I also like that the center tray of our '08 will swing out of place an make a little aisle to move to the back.

The reclining seats look great in the brochures, but when I saw them in person they were just big enough for the family's 10 and 12 y/o daughters to put their feet up. This is as poorly considered a gimmick as Chrylers swivel seats.

The dash control layout did seem to work better than I feared from pictures. I have not taken any opportunity to drive the new Sienna so I can't comment on ride quality, driver experience or noise levels. But based on the poorly thought out and cost cutting interior, the '11 seems like it would be a step down from our '08. As one person commented, an OK $25k vehicle, but a lousy $40k one. It is a sign that maybe Toyota is loosing it's car making mojo.
    Interesting read. My impression paralled CR (for a change). And CR gave them a score of 80, and so far 52 owners have scored the 2011 Sienna 8.3 out of 10. Looks like CR and owners in tune on this one.

I think Toyota is mirroring GM. GM got big in the '80s and '90s and built poor quality vehicles. They thought they could build anything and buyers would still pay good money to own them.

That's gotta hurt, comparing them to KIA. lol.
    Haven't read the whole article yet, but I saw that also. It's probably the least flattering review I've seen on the new Sienna.

I sort of expected it to drop, but 93 to 80 is a fair amount.

I was planning to keep my 07 for a long time, so it doesn't really matter, I suppose.

Funny thing is sales are much higher. I guess people like the backup cam and 3-zone climate control. Those highly visible features outweigh the lack of a soft-touch dash, I guess.
    It can afford to be less flattering ( and more honest) because CR doesn't accept advertising dollars.

The exterior styling does look good. Sales are much higher, as the first half of 2009 vehicle sales were in the dumpster. Any auto manufacturer that isn't seeing higher sales in 2010 vs 2009 should be thinking about getting out of business.
    I prefer the new styling too, but that had little to do with my choice in minivans.

It's helping, though. That and clever marketing. Sienna outsold Ody in June, for perhaps the first time since....ever?
  • hunter62hunter62 Member Posts: 2
    I had an '04 Sienna--exact same issue--15K miles and the battery would be dead after sitting awhile. Dealer said it was fine, kept happening, I never left home without the cables. Finally replaced the battery, problem went away.
    Now I have an '08 Highlander---same drill. This time I went straight to the shop, bought an Interstate, problem went away. Here's a clue--did you notice the Sienna's battery is not much larger than the one I have on my little ATV?

I just wrote Toyota a letter telling them it doesn't pay to cut corners as evidenced by the $125 battery bill I expect them to pay for.
    My advice--get an Interstate and send Toyota the bill.
    Not surprised Sienna outsold Odyssey in June. There is just not the inventory of Odysseys available for sale.

As more prospective buyers see pictures of the 2011 Odyssey, the rest of the 2010 inventory will be in high demand.
  • cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    edited August 2010
    Very well said indeed!

I took a look at an SE and was appalled by the quality of the interior, especially the dash. The dash design was hideous too. While I suppose it makes some sense to put the door control buttons overhead, the buttons were hard to make out by my 55 year old eyes.

Most odd (and I haven't seen anyone comment on this) was that the moonroof does not retract into the roof but goes outside and above it. This reminded me of something one might see on an econobox.

Toyota seems headed down the same suicidal path that GM took.
    LOL, not a fan of the lightning bolt I take it?
    I like the new design, inside and out, but I agree the materials are a notable step down from my 2007 model. The padded dash is gone, and the new glove compartment screams cheap.
    Don't like the rear quarter glass area. Not well thought out.
    edited August 2010
    "....outside and above...econobox..."

No, if you think about it that design allows for a "sleeker look" (styling) lower roof (2-3"..?), lower center of gravity, while still preserving head room for 6'2" drivers.
    Might have something to do with the ability to have them front hinged and with a drive motor to open them slightly, an excellent design aspect IMMHO.
  • hunter62hunter62 Member Posts: 2
    Did you ever figure out what was wrong? My bet is you're experiencing one of Toyota's anemic stock batteries. If so, you've replaced it by now and your problem went away.
    Wasn't me - my battery is perfectly fine, 3 years now.
    I don't know about the other trims, but the Limited has a button for power-folding outside mirrors and parking assist sonars for front and rear.
    Hm, this is a bit of a late reply ...

I used Toyota of Nashua, who was pretty average with regard to most of their characteristics except the "manager" was pretty darn quick with making a no-BS offer. I think the price I got was somewhat less than $1k under invoice.

I regret getting the Limited because of the poor interior quality -- it is quite nice for a van in the $25k-30k range, but completely unacceptable in a car that pretends it's a $45k vehicle. The little extras are not worth the $20k extra you spend compared to an LE. I hate the Navigation, its timing of the voice prompts and accuracy are terrible. It routinely tells you, "You have arrived at your destination" when you're actually several buildings away (yes, I can read the building number, but our $200 Garmin is much more accurate and buildings in New England often don't have numbers).
    Funny, we went to Chicago on a road trip on our AWD LTD and got a "flat" on the "run-flat," thanks to a pothole.

I tried to find a run-flat, but nobody seemed to carry one on hand (the size is apparently very unique). I had to "limp" home with a regular tire.

A lug nut apparently was cross-threaded on so it ripped the whole bolt off with it during the tire change. Once again, they did not carry a replacement so, on top of not having a spare for the regular tire, I only had 4/5 bolts keeping the wheel on.

I think Toyota forgot that quality control needs to happen.
  • glee314glee314 Member Posts: 6
    We purchased a 2011 LE with a single DVD player installed by the South East Distribution.....We have some problem with DVD Player....DVD Player works great with wireless headphones, but when trying to send audio to the car speaker, FM modulator does not work. Do you experience a similar problem?
    Has anyone purchased body side molding? I saw a lot of after market options but my dealer doesn't provide any at this point. I saw one 2011 with some and it looked sharp.
  • jdconradjdconrad Member Posts: 11
    I am looking to buy a new Sienna and went to the dealer to check it out. My wife & I both noticed a very distracting distortion when looking at the speedometer from the front passenger seat. Has anyone else noticed that problem?
  • 12bdriving12bdriving Member Posts: 24
    Why do you drive from the passenger seat? I thought the driver determined how fast you were going?
    I imagine the instrument panel is angled towards the driver, and that may even be intentional (?).

If you get a Garmin, you can use that to get the speed. If you hit the speed while driving you actually get a simulated dash board. It's pretty neat.
  • aa0526aa0526 Member Posts: 29
    Hello -
    I am looking at the 2011 Sienna.

Can someone compare the driving impressions between the 4cyl and 6cyl versions?
    or can someone post their impressions of the 4 cyl?

Thanks.
    One review I saw for the 4 cylinder actually reported lower mileage than the same publication with the V6 Sienna, likely because they had to work the engine harder.

Given the mass it's pulling, especially loaded up, I'd recommend the V6, which is powerful and still very efficient.
    Sienna weighs almos 5,000#. Get the V6 as mentioned.

4cyl just a marketing tool. Toyota could say 2011 costs less, when bought with 4 cyl.
    Sienna weighs almost 5,000#. Get the V6 as mentioned.

4cyl just a marketing tool. Toyota could say 2011 costs less, when bought with 4 cyl.
  • rockmobilerockmobile Member Posts: 115
    I test drove a Sienna with a 4 cyl. engine. It was a spartan version with no tinted glass, a very plain interior and an uncomfortable driver's seat.

As for the engine, all I can say is that it did and adequate job. We were only two people with the air conditioner running and I drove on flat terrain. It sounded like a 4 cyl. engine but it did moved the van. The dealer quote was a bit over 25k dollars, so I think Toyota wants to use this one as bait.
    Yep, an ad car so they can say "Starting at $24,999!"
  • typesixtypesix Member Posts: 321
    edited September 2010
    Motor Trend tested a 4 cyl Sienna and the review is posted on their website.
    http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/minivans-vans/112_0912_2011_toyota_sienna_le- _test/index.html

While its time to 60 mph was a moderate 9.5 seconds, it feels plenty peppy, with its coarser acoustic and vibrational texture only occasionally penetrating your awareness ... the LE returned a pleasing 22 mpg.

The mileage is nothing special. I routingly do better in my 2007 V6, and it has a 5 speed auto vs. the new 6 speed. 0-60 in mine is around 7.0 seconds, a huge leap in performance with the same (better in my case) gas mileage.