Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• alfster1alfster1 Posts: 273
    LOL. Only 10mph faster? Then stick to Pink Floyd "Money." You might drive slower, but think of all that gasoline you'll save :)
  • airburairbur Posts: 31
    I'm in the process of buying a new 4Runner from Elway on Arap. in Denver and they've been very cordial and accomodating. A friend of mine uses them for service on his 2003 Celica and has no complaints. Good luck.
  • glb5glb5 Posts: 39
    Im in the process of lubing the drive shafts on my 04 runner v8. I have located the grease zerts for the sliders on both the front and the rear drive shafts as well as the four universal joints, but im unable to locate the double cardin joint the book says requires lubing.Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  • oldnavycdroldnavycdr Posts: 17
    I have to agree with others who are disappointed in the JBL premium sound system. I've tried a lot of different settings and the best I get is mediocre. Perhaps it is the volume of the vehicle or speaker placement but the only thing this set up is good for is books on CD. I would appreciate some suggested setting from those of you who are satisfied.
  • kheintz1kheintz1 Posts: 213
    Javascript runtime error--SyntaxError: unterminated parenthetical -- see logJsErrors for a stack trace
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,562
    Did you try to post something or does the Javascript error that I'm seeing as your post mean something?

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Looks like my post got lost.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,562
    Must have been a precursor to the server crash early this morning. Most odd.

KarenS "Ask the Town Hall Hosts" May 21, 2004 2:22pm

Apologies!

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• sonny_k9sonny_k9 Posts: 15
    I am looking to buy a SR5 Sport but can't decide if I should get a V6 or a V8. I am leasing the truck for 4 years and over that period the fuel cost (about 60,000 miles) difference between the two engines might be something to consider. SInce its a lease the cost difference upfront doesn't bother me as much. Any advice? Oh and I will be towing a boat which weighs about 4000lbs. But its mostly flat terrain that I will be towing so do you think V6 is a good compromise between fuel economy and towing capacity? THanks
    I would suggest the V8, it's a magnificent engine with a long and respected history of performance and reliability.
  • coranchercorancher Posts: 232
    sonny_k9, I'd suggest searching and reviewing the many posts that already cover this in this discussion. If you tow a lot, you should probably buy the V8. I'll do some towing but don't expect to tow a lot and so I drove both versions. I found I preferred the V6, regardless of price. My rationale is in my previous posts, but it's meaning to you will depend on a number of factors unique to your situation.
    If your primary concern is to save a few dollars on gasoline, the V6 does get slightly better fuel economy, but the V8 engine has been in production for many years with proven reliability in other Toyota/Lexus products. Either engine should meet your towing needs.

Two reasons the V6 gets slightly better mileage are that it's engine is about 160lbs lighter and the V6 powered 4Runner has part time 4wd, meaning that most of the time, it is a rear wheel drive vehicle. The V8 is a cast iron engine that runs in full time 4wd.
  • floeva09floeva09 Posts: 20
    I am now in the process of buying a SR5, I will purchase from Stevinson Toyota in Denver, however I had a wonderful searching process with John Elway Toyota. They were excellent,what it came down too for me was location. Stevinson Toyota West is really close to my home and John Elways was a journey by the time I fought the Denver traffic.I could have bought from Elway and been just as happy, location, location is key for me. If Elway service department is anyting like the sales department than you will be in good shape. Stevinson sales/rep was ok she had a little attitude so did I....hehehe..... I just like the sales manager better at John Elway. Good-luck
  • 69mach169mach1 Posts: 60
    I first took my 2003 Sport to Stevenson, they dismissed my complaints as "normal", so I took it to Burt on Broadway. I was completely satisfied with their service and recommend them to anyone.

The JBL system is mediocre at best, but I did get the dealer (Burt) to replace the amplifier and it's much better now. I set the fade controls to about R4 to R5 to get a more ambient sound in the cabin. If you set the fade a zero, the sound seems to come from the center speaker. hope that helps.
  • nedzelnedzel Posts: 787
    I'd definately get the V8. More low-end torque.
  • tartallinitartallini Posts: 9
    I've got an SR5 V8 and the engine is quiet, smooth and strong. I get about 17.5 MPG on the average with mixed highway and in town driving. I thought I wanted a V6, but when I found a steal of a deal with a V8 I bought it. I'm happy that things worked out this way, and would recommend the V8.
  • get the v8. you'd have no problems towing that weight. the listed mileage for both engines are so close that it really wouldn't matter too much. i don't mind paying $5 a week extra to fill up for the v8. plus, when towing, the v8 just might be MORE economical than the v6 since it has more low end torque.
  • kjack100kjack100 Posts: 133
    Was looking around the internet and ran across this very interesting link for HiLux Surf (Japan's name for its 4Runner). If this works, hit the link, then click on the ninth box down on the left, just above the separator line. This should show a listing of accessories available in Japan. Any thoughts on how to acquire these?

http://www.toyota.co.jp/Showroom/All_toyota_lineup/hiluxsurf/menu- /concept.html
  • 69mach169mach1 Posts: 60
    I need to have the headliner removed to fix some hail dings on the roof. Is it difficult to remove and reinstall the headliner, anybody had an experiences? If so, what was the result?
  • bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Posts: 625
    I would imagine we may see the same stuff in North America in a year or two, as 4Runner will start losing ground to new midsize SUVs, especially Hummer H3, Pathfinder and Jeep GC
  • tartallinitartallini Posts: 9
    Thanks for the link to the Japanese accessories for the Surf. VERY nice stuff and worth daydreaming about!
  • toyboxxtoyboxx Posts: 150
    You can get any of those accessories listed on that site by contacting Jason burtman at burtmanindustries.com. He has imported many of those accessories on that site for me.
    thank you for providing the link!
  • ttenragttenrag Posts: 38
    I bought a 2004 toyota 4runner, and I am wondering if anyone knows if i can install power seats in the front.
  • jgriffjgriff Posts: 362
    I've narrowed it down to the Sport model [love the XRES], but I can't decide on the engine setup.

I know most all the pros & cons of each, just can't seem to come up with something to get me off the fence.

Any help.
  • bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Posts: 625
    If you frequently tow or do serious off-roading, and/or money is not an issue - go with V8. If not, go with V6
  • jgriffjgriff Posts: 362
    Well I don't tow anything (yet), and no serious off-roading. Money is sometimes an issue. Just seems like most models come with more options than I need/want ie. sunroof.

Is the V8 going to have better re-sale value?

The 1-2 MPG difference between the V6 & V8 seems pretty trival.

And I can't really decide if the AWD in the V8 is an advantage or disadvantage compared to the V6.

I guess I looking for some good reasons that would lean me one way or the other.
  • mgabel2mgabel2 Posts: 37
    Oh, just get the V8. [I did.]
  • dancdanc Posts: 1
    I just check out a 1996 V6 4Runner Limited that I was interested in buying. Was interested to know what everyone thought about whether it's a good purchase for 8K considering:
    1) when I looked under the hood I noticed the dipstick looked essentially DRY and . . .
    2) the inside trim was trashed, (speedometer not working, leather torn, digital clock missing and door panel plastic was broken.)

The outside body still looks preety good and it drives well . . . but is it worth the 8K??
  • money shouldn't really be an issue for you if you're thinking about buying a $30,000 vehicle. the 1-2 mpg diff IS trival, again, if you're buying a $30 grand vehicle. if you want to make yourself feel better about choosing the v8, skip 1 beer at the bar per week. that should just about cover the difference. get the v8, you'll be happy.