Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Added Security

2»

Comments

• aan1234aan1234 Member Posts: 31
    I've got a few quotes yesterday. I could not find extended warranty on subaruwrxparts.com so I emailed them. Also, I emailed all local dealerships and Mastria Subaru (selling extended warranty on ebay). I was looking for 7/70K 0 deductible plans. Here are the results:

subaru.net

Basic - $870
    Gold Plus - $1265

subaruwrxparts.com (Exeter Subaru)

Basic - $815
    Gold Plus - $1010

Mastria Subaru

Basic - $1195
    Gold Plus - $1295

Local dealership 1

Basic - $715
    Gold Plus - $910

Local dealership 2

Basic - $1230
    Gold Plus - $1620

Local dealership 3

Basic - ~$2400
    Gold Plus - ~$2800

I called local dealership #1 and they told me they are selling at $100 over cost.
    By coincidence (or not?) this is the place where I bought my Outback and where I go for service.

$910 for 7/70K 0 deductible Gold Plus is not bad at all but I am still not sure if it makes sense even at this price. I am definitely not going to need Trip Interruption benefit and most likely Roadside Assistance either. Does Basic plan for $715 makes more sense?
  • snowbeltersnowbelter Member Posts: 288
    We've purchased the Gold Plus plan for our cars. It has given us peace of mind, although with only one car, so far, have we come out ahead.

You just need one or two odd, but expensive parts to go bad and you'll be happy.you have a plan. Since it is backed by Subaru, there are no hassles to get things paid for.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    It doesn't take long to ring up $715.

My dealer's labor rate for mechanics is $95/hour, so we're talking less than one day of labor.

I say go for that at least.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,747
    Quite the range of prices, but $910 is a good price for the 7/70/0. What is the name of that dealership?
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    > What is the name of that dealership?

Power Subaru, AZ
    edited March 2010
    OK, I called in a favor to a friend at SoA, and got the full scoop on the advantages of the Gold Plus:

* road hazard tire protection
    * includes roadside assistance
    * trip interruption (meals/lodging if 50+ miles away from home)

What isn't covered? Brake pads, wiper blades, etc.

But here's the best part: it includes everything that isn't specifically excluded.

So, for instance, when new technologies are added to a model, like Bluetooth on the 2010 Forester, it's automatically covered since it's not mentioned in the exclusions list.

All new tech is covered, so you don't have to wait for them to revise the Subaru Gold agreement to know it's covered.

So Basic is good, Gold is great. :)
  • pilot1226pilot1226 Member Posts: 166
    This gold plan sounds pretty intriguing. I may look into it for my 09 Legacy. It's run flawlessly, and my only issue has been dinging myself on a pothole which needed to be replaced. The new tire has the "road hazard" warranty for 10% of the cost of the tire (around $20) but it only covers that tire that was replaced.

This gold plan would cover any other tire damage that occurs for all the tires?
  • cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    >This gold plan would cover any other tire damage that occurs for all the tires?

tires are covered by the tire manufacturer not SOA, AFAIK tire manufacturers don't cover damage either- I mean if you run it over some sharp spikey object and ruin the tire, its hardly some manufacturing fault, throwing the belts or a blister where there is no clear external damage from the tire striking something is the sort of stuff I have had covered by a tire manufacturers warranty. Some tire retailers may sell road hazard warranty which covers everything. But a SOA AddedSecurity warranty will defintely not cover tires.
    edited March 2010
    So the post above mine is incorrect?

"OK, I called in a favor to a friend at SoA, and got the full scoop on the advantages of the Gold Plus:

* road hazard tire protection
    * includes roadside assistance
    * trip interruption (meals/lodging if 50+ miles away from home) "

I read the road hazard tire protection just as that - road hazard tire protection. Which includes nails, potholes, etc. Maybe we can get a followup.

I know from experience that the manufacturer's warranty only handles a manufacturer defect, but I would probably be willing to consider a Gold plan if I decide to buy a new Outback in about 1.5 years (when my Legacy is paid off)
    Sears offers a similar Road Hazard plan, as does, I think, TireRack.com. Through Sears, the road hazard plan is similar to the manufacturer's defect replacement plan wherein the vendor will replace the tire at a prorated cost based on mileage, age, etc. At least, that was the Sears plan (for an additional $60). If I recall correctly, their plan also included free flat/puncture repair.

If the problem was deemed a manufacturing defect, like mentioned above, it would fall to the tire manufacturer to replace it.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • biancarbiancar Member Posts: 965
    AAA covers much the same, if you get the premium AAA membership or whatever they call it.

I've had AAA since I was 18 years old - a LONG time ago - and have only used roadside assistance maybe twice in all that time.

If you buy a Basic or Gold Subaru warranty from home-town dealer but you move away or split time between two states, will ANY dealership honor the warranty, or only the place you bought it from?
    Any, since the warranty is from Subaru directly.
    Gold Plus picks up where the tire manufacturer's covereage leaves off, but yes the tires would be covered.

So if you get a massive flat tire that cannot be repaired, not only will you get a replacement tire, but also your hotel stay will be free, as well as your meals.

My source is an old friend at SoA who hung out in the Subaru forums for years, old timers will remember her fondly. ;)
    Cool. I'd like a list of things that aren't specifically included then. Rotors? Calipers?
    Hmm, I'd have to check the paper work, but we sold our 2002 and all the paperwork went with it.

We may still get a Gold for our 2009 model.

It's a dilemna when the vehicle is reliable, but we should be glad because that lowers the market price of the warranty itself. For $700 or so the basic is easily worth it, but we may get the Gold, I'm not sure.
    I've got Service Agreement Application from the dealer and here is what it says about not covered parts:

==============================
    The only items NOT covered by Added Security Gold Plus are:

Scheduled maintenance services and parts described in your Subaru Warranty and Maintenance Booklet as well as other normal maintenance services and parts including engine tune-up, suspension alignment, wheel balancing, filters, libricants, engine coolant, fluids, wiper blades, belts, hoses, spark plugs, brake pads, linings and shoes, clutch disc and recharging of the air conditioning system, unless in conjunction with the replacement of a covered air conditioning part.

Other parts not covered are glass, weatherstrips, lenses, sealed beams, light bulbs, tires, hard and soft trim, moldings, bright metal, upholstery, paint, exhaust system, catalytic converter, brake rotors and drums, shock absorbers, air suspension assembly, battery, rust damage, wind noise, squeaks, rattles and cable or linkage adjustments. Accessories are covered only if factory installed or approved.
    Damn.... that is one helluva list! What's the point of this warranty again? :sick:
    That's all wear and tear stuff. Many are replaced during regular service intervals.
    The first half of the list, yes. For this portion, though, I say much of it is not so much wear-and-tear:

Other parts not covered are glass, weatherstrips, lenses, sealed beams, light bulbs, tires, hard and soft trim, moldings, bright metal, upholstery, paint, exhaust system, catalytic converter, brake rotors and drums, shock absorbers, air suspension assembly, battery, rust damage, wind noise, squeaks, rattles and cable or linkage adjustments. Accessories are covered only if factory installed or approved.

Come on... upholstery, cat, exhaust, paint?!, glass, rust, wind noise, squeaks, rattles... seriously, that stuff should be holding up for the length of an extended warranty, period. The fact that they exclude it (meaning they have likely had or predict they will have claims) tells me there is a good chance it won't. :sick:
    I picked up on that too Wes, I couldn't believe I read paint, had to read it again. Bummer. Well, we'll see how it goes, I'll take my chances I guess. My in-laws have owned several Subarus between them all and never had any issues.
    edited March 2010
    I had one Subaru to 220,000 miles (1996 Outback), and it was a fantastic car aside from a couple electrical gremlins. Aside from that one, even though I have owned four, I have owned this 2010 Forester (six months and 10,000 miles now) longer than any other. So, I am now in uncharted territory. ;)
    glass - if it breaks, that's covered by comprehensive insurance.
    light bulbs - mine lasted 7 years or so (headlights)
    tires - the tire maker covers it, Subaru Gold adds road hazard warranty
    trim/upholstery/paint - any damage would come from wear and tear, no?

Brakes are wear and tear as well, shocks, battery has its own warranty.

Some of those things are still covered, it's just covered by insurance or their own manufacturer.
    > Local dealership 1 (Power Subaru, AZ)

> Basic - $715
    > Gold Plus - $910

I went ahead and purchased Gold Plus today. No gimmicks, no attempts to switch me to something else or change the price, no sales tax, etc.

They also have a special for prepaid maintenance - 5 oil changes, 2 with tire rotations for $109. This is from the company, not Subaru, they said that it will be accepted at any Autonation dealership in the country. No expiration, non-transferrable.
    I think Auto Nation is the biggest dealership group in the country, so that should be fine even if you move.

Great price on the warranty. What's the name of the dealership again? On-line link?
    trim/upholstery/paint - any damage would come from wear and tear, no?

No, I would think not. Sure, things like tears/holes in the upholstery or chips in the paint could happen from user damage (wear & tear), but paint problems like cracking and flaking are more indicative of application/quality issues, as well as interior fading, cracking, de-laminating... you name it. Whatever, though. For me, excluding those items (especially rattles, which are a HUGE issue for newer Subarus - interior fit/finish is highly questionable) greatly reduces the value of any extended warranty.

The only problems I have had on any of my three newer ('07, '08, '10) Subaru vehicles involves interior components: numerous rattles and cracked shift boot & brake boot (which was corrected in later model years with revised material). So, I am not convinced of the long-term prognosis of the interior (which is, for the most part, excluded from the extended warranty).
    I bet they do that to prevent the OCD folks from coming in again and again when it's something small.

If you're nice, it's not like that. Our 2002 Legacy had a non-linear throttle, and my wife took it in. They replaced the entire throttle cable assembly, and gave us a Mercedes Benz C240 4Matic wagon as a loaner. :surprise:

All I asked for was a similar 4WD/AWD station wagon.

They fixed that and a recall in one day. I was hoping to keep the Benz for a couple of days for an extended test drive, so it was quicker than I wanted it to be.

We didn't have any rattles so I can't comment. I doubt they would just dismiss you, though. A few Forester guys have had dealers address rattles under warranty, and I'm sure the standard warranty has the same disclaimers.
    > What's the name of the dealership again? On-line link?

power.subaru.com
  • fendertweedfendertweed Member Posts: 98
    Hi all,

checking back in on this thread again, 12.5 mos. after buying my new '09 OB Ltd. (getting its 15k service today)... lots of good thoughts pro & con on ESCs (Extended Svc. Contracts) here but as I was thinking about my decision to wait a while to get one for my OB (since I have 3/36 to decide), and thinking about how I would weigh the initial reliability of the car (any car) in deciding on an ESC, I remembered what I discovered when I looked back at my ex-'01 Audi A6 after replacing an engine at 87k and numerous other pricey fixes between 87-103k that led me to sell a car I loved and wanted to keep for many more miles than that ...

... That car had NO significant repairs during its first 49k miles... had a lot of things done under warranty at 50k (tie rod ends, gaskets/leaks etc.), but based on its first 45-50k I would have hesitated on an ESC but since it had things like a $12k Tiptronic tranny I bought one.... my best investment of the past 10 yrs., I recovered more than 3 times what that contract cost me -- I "invested" ~$2,400 and within 4 years recovered about $8,000 in reimbursed repairs.

The Subie should certainly be more reliable and doesn't have a $12k tranny or a $10-15k engine, but like many modern cars it has complex stuff, so for ex., a bad A/C-Radio unit or any number of things could easily get you well on your way to recover your contract cost.

Just a random thought on a rainy day, I will still wait probably 8-18 mos. before I but the Gold Plus on my OB.... if it had a 5 spd. AT and more comfortable seats it would be almost perfect.

cheers,
    Jon
    Thanks for sharing, Jon!

I think the '05-'09 Outback was a fantastic wagon and am glad to hear you are enjoying yours. One of these years, I would really like to find an '06 Limited with manual transmission.

I am still undecided about an extended warranty for my '10 Forester; I have about 12 more months to decide. While I am not "worried" about a pending failure, I look at is as a cost/benefit "investment" as well. Part of that benefit is the fact that this is my wife's car and she may very well prefer to have the added peace of mind. For me, though, the most likely items that I will want to address (such as a recurrence of interior rattles previous "fixed" under warranty) are excluded from the extended warranty contract... I wonder why?! :P

The odometer clicked over 16,000 miles last night.
  • dave128dave128 Member Posts: 14
    The best cost/benefit is being able to recoup a good chunk of its cost when you go to sell your vehicle privately. If you can leave at least a years worth of coverage on the contract you should be able to get about half the cost back. That's a nice security blanket for the new owner.
    edited September 2010
    That is an excellent point for many new-car owners out there. Unfortunately, I typically don't consider replacing a car until it is north of 200,000 miles. For some reason, I can't find an extended warranty that will go that long. :blush:

Personally, I would be happy to pay a reasonable asking price for a used car that had an extended warranty in effect at the time of purchase, as long as the seller had complete service records/logs on the vehicle. If the records were not available, the warranty would be useless.
  • jie2jie2 Member Posts: 1
    My daughter’s old car’s catalyst converter was stolen twice. She has now gotten a new Subaru SUV. I want to install an aftermarket anti-theft device such as Viper to Catlock on her SUV because I read SUV, because of its ground clearance, is a favorite target for thief of converters. However, I was told by the salesman, installing such a device may nullify the manufacturing warranty. Any advice from people here are greatly appreciated.