Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Toyota Highlander

Comments

• steven1357steven1357 Member Posts: 69
    I would definitely have it done by the Dealer. And make sure the person they get to do it has done it numerous times before. They are not easy to install.

I purchased mine with my 2010 Highlander Limited and it took the dealer 3 times before they got it right. And each time they removed them, they have to throw those away & order a new set at their cost. They can not be removed & re-installed.

I found out after the fact that the 1st 2 installations were both done by 2 different people who did not regularly install moldings - because they "were trying to get it done faster for me". The 2nd installation was done by their Body Shop. That was the worst installation of them all.

I am assuming you did not purchase the Moldings with the 2010 HL. If you did not, I would guess that you will pay more than if you had. I paid the dealer's actual "cost" for the moldings & they installed them for no additional cost. You will probably have to pay the retail price plus something additional for installation.

I bought them not only for the protection, but also because I think they dress up the HL some.

My HL has the Blizzard Pearl exterior, so those moldings are not an "exact" match even though they are "color-keyed". However, the color-keyed moldings in all of the other colors I have seen are much much more an exact match. Make sure you specify that you want the "Color-Keyed" Moldings.
    Update to my last reply:

I paired my Nokia 6555b Cell Phone to the Hands Free System on my 2010 Highlander Limited. But, like you, I can't seem to get it to accept the transfer of my phonebook from my Nokia Cell Phone.

Since you have tried this before, you will probably know what I am talking about.
    When I say or choose "Confirm" (I did it both ways), my cell phone immediately says that the Bluetooth connection has been disconnected. And then of course, the Hands Free says to transfer my phonebook, which I do, but since the connection has been lost, nothing gets transferred.

It is my hope that someone who has been successful in transferring the phonebook will reply here.
  • grayfuzzgrayfuzz Member Posts: 2
    Go to sportwing. com they have them in your color also with a chrome strip in them I have them they look great Easy to install. Also I used AVS Bug 2 for Bug shield & Wesin for running boards Waiting to install side vents. Weather Tech
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    If you are a Toyota owner and interested in sharing your reaction to the recall with reporters, send an email stating the vehicle you own, your telephone number, and the best time you can be reached.

Send to: karen@edmunds.com
  • i_luv_toyotai_luv_toyota Member Posts: 350
    edited March 2010
    When?

Toyota supposedly was to unveil a refreshed Highlander for 2011 at the Chicago Auto Show, but that didn't happen obviously.
  • nacenace Member Posts: 45
    highlander comes with a snow mode. can someone with experience in using snow mode advise as to how it works vs AWD ? i live in the snow belt and am not sure if the additional cost of AWD merits the highlander snow mode? thank you
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    Snow mode simply tells the transmission to start in second gear instead of first gear. Less chance of spinning. Not too effective. AWD is what you want in a snow belt. AWD comes with snow mode as well.
  • knwpskknwpsk Member Posts: 8
    Whoa, I disagree! Snow mode clearly does more than just switch gears. I have a 2008 HL, limited edition. Have driven it in lots of snow in Chicago winters. Snow mode puts it into 4WD, and gives you much more control, and I've found it to be very effective. You can absolutely feel the difference immediately (if you've driven a 4WD vehicle before, you know what it feels like when all four wheels lock into gear).

I'm not a fan of AWD because it's on "all the time" -- even when you don't need it -- and then you're going to sacrifice gas mileage and extra wear on the car.
    Well, they sure must have changed the operation of snow mode. I had a Highlander Limited 4 wheel drive, 2004 model. All it did was start off in second gear. I think the question was how does snow mode in a front wheel drive Highlander compare to the AWD version. Is AWD worth the extra money in the snow belt compared to front wheel drive with snow mode. I say go for the AWD version in the snow.
    knwpsk, i need to be clear on this issue. in snow conditions and using the snow mode in a front wheel drive highlander, would be close or the same as having four wheel drive. am i correct? i appreciate your candid opinion, thank you
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    What,....WHAT...??!!

Snow mode might modify the DBW throttle response mapping/curve, or it might modify the transaxle shift pattern, or even both. But it does NOT put the system in F/awd mode, and most certainly not anything close to the functionality of a 4WD system..

In reality the HL HAS NO "AWD" mode, it is basically a ONE-WHEEL drive vehicle that uses TC, Traction Control, braking to RADICALLY apportion engine torque once a wheel or wheels, most often at the front, slips. REACTIVE. Only once a wheel actually begins slipping does your HL become a F/awd vehicle.

And at that point the system will not only begin braking a slipping wheel or wheels, but will also INSTANTANEOUS dethrottle the engine. With a base FWD it is extremely important to QUICKLY correct for any level, however minor level, of loss of traction at the front.
    It would not be close to four wheel drive. Get the four wheel drive and don't worry about snow mode one way or the other.
  • mdhuttonmdhutton Member Posts: 195
    These vehicles are not sold or advertised as AWD, but rather 4WD, which is exactly what they are when snow mode is activated for model years '08 and later. I too own an '08 HL LTD 4x4 and "knwpsk" is correct in his explanation of its functionality.
  • typesixtypesix Member Posts: 321
    Highlander with FWD only is just that, with extra ground clearance than regular car. Snow mode reduces wheelspin as others have stated by starting off in 2nd gear, but is not as good as an AWD.
  • choochoomanchoochooman Member Posts: 38
    if your car is front wheel drive, snow mode cannot put it in all wheel drive since theres nothen connecting to the rear wheels to make them drive wheels, unless toyota has changed this. i have a 2004 fwd and what the manual says it keeps the transmission in lower gears longer before shifting to higher gears (traction and less wheel spin) which makes since you want lower gears instead of a higher gear for better traction..
    Yes, you can buy an HL that is labelled "4WD". But the ONLY time the 4WD mode is functional is when all four wheels have equal, or roughly equal surface traction. Have even just one wheel lose surface traction and now suddenly you have "reverted" to a one wheel drive vehicle.

The basic "4WD" (F/awd in reality) mechanical aspects, front, center, and rear simple open type differentials, are always "engaged".

The only additional thing of importance is something you also get, in SPADES, with the FWD version, TC, Traction Control. With TC any time a wheel or wheels lose surface traction then moderate braking, PWM braking, will be activated on the wheel(s) have lost traction in order to "sustain" a high level of engine drive torque of any "driven" wheels remaining with surface traction.

The bad news is that at the very same time that TC braking is applied the engine will also be HEAVILY dethrottled, not quite to idle but low enough that the braking will not result in brake component overheating.

That's why the newer HL models have a TC disable PB function, too many cases wherein the TC "backup" engione torque re-apportionment system simply was not adequate to the task of the moment.

But good news is on the way.

The new Venza, 2010 Sienna, and the 2010 RX350 have now adopted the Ford Escape type of F/awd system. So the HL version should not be far behind. While not nearly as good as the Honda/Acura SH-AWD system this is a very definite improvement over the current HL F/awd system.

The snow mode capability has NOTHING to do with the HL's 4WD/AWD/F/awd system.
    Then the lead mechanic at my Toyota dealership is wrong. Me thinks not.
    I am afraid your lead mechanic is wrong or you are misinterpreting his explanation. Wwest is correct in his explanation.
  • illinoiscentraillinoiscentra Member Posts: 67
    I went looking for a description of the 4WD on the Escape, and came across this Wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four-wheel_drive. It claims that the Highlander has a center differential with "50/50 viscous-type center differential." I assume it means the regular, not the Hybrid. That would imply something a step up from "one wheel drive". Interesting article to me, it does point out that with three differentials, traction can actually get worse then over 2WD, because more places to slip.

Anyone care to comment on the 50/50 statement? Bull hockey?
  • beachfish2beachfish2 Member Posts: 177
    http://toy4u.com/content/new_vehicles/specs2010_Highlander_SE.pdf

This info is available on the Toyota site, too. The specs show a V6 with Snow Mode available in 2wd and 4wd models. So how can snow mode do anything but start you off in 2nd gear and maybe adjust the throttle response. Snow mode is listed in engine description.

I have a 2010 Limited I've driven in snow, ice and bad winter weather and never pushed the Snow Mode button. I did have to turn the Traction Control off to get away from the curb after the city plows pushed the 12" of snow into piles against the cars. I didn't feel like shoveling the street... :)

The HL drove about as well, except for effect of the extra weight and height in turns, as an '02 Subaru Forester S Premium I drove for 5 years. It was an automatic with normal 90-10 front bias that shifted to 50-50 at times iirc and an limited slip differential on the rear axle.

Neither one is as good as my '86 Subaru GL wagon with part-time 4wd, hi-lo range trans, factory skid plates and armored exhaust and 3-position manually adjustable rear shocks. Not nearly as good, but that's the tradeoff of full-time vs. part-time. The front end finally rusted out after 14 years of driving on the Outer Banks' beaches surf finshing. I've had some experience with 4wd/awd.

Maybe next winter I will try the Snow Mode, but even on ice with the so-so factory tires it wasn't needed this winter.

John
    I don't remember what year that the HL was introduced but I do seem to remember that for the first year,like the RX300, it had a VC, Viscous Clutch/coupling. But once TC was adopted having a VC became a needless manufacturing expense.

At some level the fully functional VC in the 99 & 00 RX300's may be somewhat responsible for the unusual level of premature transaxle failures these vehicles endured, are still enduring.

The RX330 was marketed for its entire production run as having a VC when in reality it did not. Up until the 2010 MY the RX350 was marketed as having the VC when all of the factory shop/repair manuals indicated otherwise.

Even though my RX300 does have a VC, testing on a 4 wheel dyno indicated it to be pretty much non-functional. '01 was the first year for the RX300 having adopted VSC/TC so the VC was needless/useless. The part number for the 99 & 00 VC differs from the '01 and after RX300. I suspect these later VC's were simply filled with engine lubricating oil.
  • ushy66ushy66 Member Posts: 366
    edited April 2010
    I've heard from reliable sources that there will be significant changes in the 2011 highlander's exterior appearance along with several interior and safety changes, and available options (ie, new exterior front grill pkg; change in tail-light design; 6 speed vs 5 speed AT on the 6 cyl like the 4 cyl HL, Venza and new Sienna to improve MPG; new '4WD' like the F/AWD on the Venza and 2011 Sienna to improve MPG; upgrade in the rearview back-up camera system/image to 180 degree panoramic view like on the new Sienna to decrease the risk of injuring kiddos and pets; improved and larger rear entertainment pkg with 16.4 inch split screen monitor like the new Sienna---nice for the kiddos; greater availability of the smart key on/off ignition button on the sport trim line like the Venza trim pkgs and a safety design change in the off feature to improve controll of the vehicle in case of unintended acceleration problems, and more). I've heard Toyota will start building the 2011 HL in 1-2 months and they will start hitting the showrooms in 2-4 months from now. Is this true regarding the major/minor 2011 HL makeover, new exterior and interior changes and showroom availability? Also, any 2011 HL PICS?

I like the current 2010 HL and am considering buying one, but if there are significant changes coming soon as those listed in the above, I will probably wait. Thanks!
  • illinoiscentraillinoiscentra Member Posts: 67
    Interesting. Maybe they could do the split third like the optional third row in the 4Runner. They could really seal it for me.

Still sitting on the fence. Outback, Pilot, Highlander, 4Runner TE. Each one has 'objections'. Can't stand the look of 4Runner SR5 or Limited. Or just keep the 2002 Forester, that inner cheapskate says.

Biggest problem is the second slot in the garage is too small for any but an Outback. I was working with a garage builder but they got under my skin. Then I figured if the garage is going to cost $20,000, maybe I should check out that girlie Angie's List, and some people had comments that cause concern. Had two other quotes but didn't like either of them. Time to get a fourth.

wwest - duly noted again on HL AWD.
    It has been difficult for me to understand why the HL wasn't a virtual clone of the Lexus RX series styling wise. Maybe the next version...??

Have you seen the 2012 Ford Escape, Mercury Mariner design...??

I have little doubt that the hybrid versions of these will give the HL hybrid, and maybe even the RXh, a serious competitive "run", forward styling and FE.
  • beardown2beardown2 Member Posts: 4
    I know this has been touched on in other areas but I was hoping to hear some testimonials from those that have driven the 2WD Highlander in Snow regions. I'm in Upper Midwest and we get our fair share of snow. But, I'm trying to justify the 4WD if I only need it 6-8 times a year from Dec-Mar. Does it also have improved traction in the rain?

How has 2WD model managed in the snow? Any opinions or suggestions are appreciated.
    The general rule for 4WD is that it is ALWAYS advantagous to distribute engine drive torque across a wider portion of CSA of the tires. For a base RWD that rule holes mostly true since the primary drive is to the rear leaving the majority of front tire traction coefficient for lateral, directional, control, just where it should be.

The dilema results when you start with a base FWD vehicle and the front wheels remain, as most do, SOLIDLY coupled to the engine. Just when you need that traction dedicated to directional control the most you find yourself having lost control of your FWD or F/awd vehicle.

Are you confused..?

You're saying 2WD when in reality the base HL is a FWD vehicle, patently HAZARDOUS FWD on adverse, wintertime, roadbed conditions were it not for the various "nannies". TC being the most important of those, followed in short order by VSC. Without those these is NO FWD, and very few F/awd vehicles that would be considered safe to drive in wintertime conditions.

Wait a year and the HL will likely get the same F/awd upgrade as the Venza, Sienna, and the RX350. Still not nearly as functional as the SH-AWD system.
  • ushy66ushy66 Member Posts: 366
    edited April 2010
    I have some input on comparing the 4WD/AWD rides of the 2010 Highlander, Pilot, 4Runner, and Outback and Venza. They all are nice rides in their own right and have strengths and weaknesses, but my overall favorite of the bunch is the Highlander. I have had 2 Pilots ('03 and currently own an '08) and have enjoyed them alot; my main complaint with the Pilots (including the 2010 model) is the intrusive road noise problem (and the ugly front end design of the current style '09-10)). The new 4Runner is very nice and since it is built on a truck chasis is the best of this lot for serious off-roading and ground clearance (9.6"), but as a daily commuter (which is what I use mine for 80% of the time) is a relatively rough ride with lots of wash-boarding; also the exterior design is not too appealing to me, and the design/placement of the power window controls is inexcusable/terrible! The new Outback is very nice, and next to the 4Runner has the next best ground clearance of this group (8.7"), although in order for you to get a back-up camera you have to spend ~ $2K to get the NAV, whereas with the Toyota products the back-up camera comes standard without the NAV if you get the Sprt HL or SR5 4R or Venza. I like the Venza 6cyl AWD also but prefer the Outback 3.6R to the VNZ.
  • typesixtypesix Member Posts: 321
    edited April 2010
    My 2004 2wd Highlander performs like any other FWD vehicle in snow (Eastern Massachusetts). The only advantage it has is higher ground clearance. My driveway is on a hill and I must dig it out before I can go up if snow is more than couple of inches deep. For me, I don't feel the need for it, as I don't go out before the plows in the morning. The biggest improvement was getting tires after the OEM tires wore out, they were terrible if there was more than a inch of snow. I would get AWD only if I regularly carried people in the back seat or heavy stuff in the trunk.
  • johnlindy1johnlindy1 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone in this forum successfully transferred contacts from an iPhone 3G to the hands free Bluetooth on their 2010 Highlander? I've searched high and low on the internet with no success. If you have, please provide the step-by-step procedure. I cannot figure out how to "send" contacts from the iPhone. There is no SEND (or similar) capability that I can find in the iPhone.

My Blackberry Bold did it just fine...

Thank you in advance!

johnlindy :cry:
    2nd and third row seats, do they fold flat? when i was at the dealership i failed to take notice. thank you
  • knwpskknwpsk Member Posts: 8
    We have a 2008 HL Limited Edition. Has 3rd row seats. Yes, they fold flat very nicely, one of the reasons we liked the car initially. This gives you ample cargo room.

The third row seats are also quite reasonable for medium-sized people to ride in (but mostly used for kids, of course).
  • smitbradsmitbrad Member Posts: 8
    edited May 2010
    I just installed the Toyota hood protector (PT427-48080) on my 2010 Highlander and was surprised how far away from the hood it sits. At first I thought I must have installed the brackets wrong but they can really only go one way. Standing by the drivers door all the mounting brackets are clearly visible and the bottom lip of the protector is inches away from the hood.

Does anyone else have the hood protector installed? If so is it mounted away from the hood? If someone had a picture that would be great.
    I do not have a hood protector on my 2010 Highlander, but I have seen other 2010s on the road with it and it does sit away from the hood as you described.

So, unless all of you are installing it incorrectly I think you are OK.
  • waynenavwaynenav Member Posts: 5
    I just purchased a new 2010 Toyota Highlander Limited and already wished I hadn't. I love everything about the car except the drivers seat. It is hard as a rock and my butt and back aches from driving the car. Did I make a 39.000 dollar mistake or is there help out there on this seat? :mad:
  • bearloverbearlover Member Posts: 12
    We purchased a Venza first and my wife had terrible back pain (no problem in any other car before and no pre-existing back problems), so we bite the bullet and traded it in on a new Highlander and took the substantial financial hit. Good move since its seats are far better but still inferior to most rental cars that I have experienced. Seats are not Toyota's high points.

On a related subject, I hope you didn't opt for the navigation package as I did. My $200 Garmin beats the pants off of it. Terrible investment but the back up camera is nice, but not worth the cost of the entire nav package.

While there are several good features to our Highlander Limited, it will be my last Toyota.
    As a matter of fact I did opt for the Nav system. I too have a Garmin which I like but the HL system is far easier to see, the voice is better and it seems to have far more POIs than the Garmin. And the backup camera is superb. The one thing I liked about the Garmin that's not on the HL is the listing of speed limits for each road. That's a big help when there are no posted signs. Or is there a way to display that info on the HL system?
    Did you test drive it? I'm not trying to sound like an a**, but I've always taken 45-60 minutes for a drive before buying. If the dealer doesn't like me being gone that long, he doesn't get my business.
    Since you have the Limited, I assume you have the seats with the extra options. 1 of those options is a seat extender to give you better thigh support which should improve the comfort if you have not yet used it.

I have had my 2010 Limited since 12-23-09 and it has 6,000 miles on it which includes several 1 1/2 hour trips each way. In addition, I have taken it on an 8 hour trip each way in mid May. This is my opinion only & since you have already formed your opinion, I am not trying to convince you otherwise.

"I" find the Limited seats to be very comfortable.
    In fact, 1 of the reasons (there were others) I went with the Limited was because of its better seats & numerous settings that you do not get in the base model.
    I'm inclind to believe you on the seats. They just don't seem to be that comfortable for me. I did try the seat extender which helps with thigh support somewhat. The main problem seems to be my lower back, especially on the left side. I have tried adjusting the lumbar support which doesn't seem to make much difference. I'm confident I can get it straightened out in time but it's frustrating right now.
    Well, you are right of course. In hundsight I probably should have done a longer test drive, but I did test it twice and the seat seemed fine to me. Granted they were short test drives. However, this is my third Toyota and since all the seats in the previous two were fine I wasn't concerned. I'm sure I'll get it sorted out soon.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Well, at least the HL has pretty good resale. Maybe he can check out the 11 Explorer when it comes out this fall. I've found that Ford's usually have pretty comfortable seating, but you're right, it's a very individual thing. I've ridden a long distance in a friend's Nissan Murano and it seemed pretty comfortable as well.
  • toledo73toledo73 Member Posts: 174
    What did you own before the HL? Hard uncomfortbale seats are not at all what I experience with mine. Tell your service dept and they should be able to suggest some type of cushion to put on top of your seat. Or check on EBay
    Re: previous Toyotas. I traded in an 07 Highlander on the 2010. It had cloth seats and they never gave me any discomfort in the three years I owned the car. I still own a 2000 Avalon which is very comfortable. I mentioned the uncomfortable seat to the Sales Manager and the best he could come up with is, "If you've got an issue, get a tissue". Joking of course, but he might have been more helpful. I will check with the service dept but I'm generally against seat cushions because they are usually a big pain when getting in and out of the car. I did check with the accessories store but they have no cushions custom made for the Highlander. : :cry:
    Seats of all kinds and flavors can be purchased on Ebay. Lot less expensive than trading cars to get more comfortable or memory seats.
  • bethfizzbethfizz Member Posts: 1
    Unfortunately, it won't support sending contacts.
    It really pissed me off, because the salesperson had a iPhone and was able to use her older phone to upload her contacts, but after I bought the vehicle, I tried to do it and was greeting by that inane "send your contacts" screen too. When I asked their techs what the issue was, they sent me to this page:
    http://www1.toyota.letstalk.com/brands/toyota-bt/product/product.htm?prId=35698&- serviceCorpId=0&filterCorpId=697&passedPaIds=

Note it says that you can't sync contacts on a 3GS - not supported.
    Worthless feature - can't use the voice recognition if the contacts aren't in the system, and I ain't rekeying my 300+ contacts.
    When I complained to the tech about it, he said, "Toyota didn't build that part, so we're stuck with what they support."
  • jchevresjchevres Member Posts: 2
    Steven:

I had my Toyota hood protector painted blizzard white. I noticed how far away it sits from the hood. I had it in my Highlander for a few weeks and did not like how it looked. Did some net surfing and found the Stampede hood protector chrome. It fits better than the Toyota hood protector. Fits snugly to the hood and also looks great!

I highly recommend it. :)
  • auyomanauyoman Member Posts: 5
    having had a couple of seinnas and a couple of tundras, i tell people i am a toyota man. when it was time to move from a mini van to an SUV, i went looking at the highlander. i noticed that the 2011 seinna came out in feb 2010 with a 3.5 engine and a 6 speed. highlander uses the same power train and i assume that will happen on the 2011 HL. i could not wait so i found a SUV that was $3000 less, gets 26mpg instead of HL 24mpg, a third seat that two adults can sit in, and a 5 yr 60,000 mi 10 yr 100,000mile warrenty instead of the HL 3 yr 36,000mile. I BOUGHT A 2011 KIA SORENTO. toyota needs to keep up or lose out.
  • beachfish2beachfish2 Member Posts: 177
    "toyota needs to keep up or lose out."

You really like it better than the Highlander? I didn't, the test drive didn't do a thing for me. I am completely enjoying the 2010 Highlander Limited I bought in January. It certainly was a hefty check to write though. I'm starting to sound like my grandparents who were all born in the 1890s... "It cost how much?" It's not like you can buy a new '65 VW bug for $1600 anymore.

John
    Do you have a link to their website?
  • jchevresjchevres Member Posts: 2
    The following is the link to their website: www.stampedeproducts.com/dealers. Here you can check to see if you have a dealer nearby. Its easy to install.

I bought my Highlander Limited on June 15, 2010. It's the first time I've had leather interior. The seats are very comfortable. It's really good to drive as a daily driver. :)
This discussion has been closed.