Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Durango 5.7 Hemi Engine Failure

Comments

• I just got told that my (i thought it was wonderful)2005 Dodge Durango with 117k miles on it had a bad main bearing and rod and i need a new engine. I have made sure that I changed the oil and maintained it as needed and was shocked when i was told that I hadn't maintained it properly. I'm happy, if you can call it, that it seems to a standard with these engines to fail. I have had to replace the instrument panel 3 times for failures (luckily its on the recall list). I also have had problems with the engine light coming on and off, with the mechanics unable to determine why. I have had a leak everytime it rains into the fuse box, which I also have had to replace. i don't feel so bad now, but expected to get at least 150k miles use. All of my previous vehicles i have been able to get between 175k and 200k, so i'm shocked that i have to go get a new car at this point. But i'm not getting a Dodge.
  • Our '04 Durango has nearly 170k miles on it.
    It is paid for but we had to borrow money from the inlaws to pay for replacing the engine in Sept 2010. I would like to sell it or trade it in but technically they have a lien on it in a certain respect.
    The biggest reason I want to get rid of it really isn't reliability; it is operating cost. 7 quarts of Mobil 1 at every oil change, expensive tires, it gets about 15 MPG around town. It is just to costly when gas is typically $3.50 a gallon (Thanks Obama).
    It is a shame. I have a 85 Dodge Ramcharger that is rock solid reliable and has been totally neglected as far as regular maintenance for years. I'm putting the wife in a car of some type and I will continue to drive the old Ramcharger when I need to. The Durango is going up for sale ASAP.
  • yup same thing happened to me ,started the car after being away for the weekend and it sounded like a wrench in the engine.
    mech says its the wrist pin or connecting rod.
    no warning, no issue or prior warning or failure. computer says engine was perfect order .mech says he cant explain why?
    im screwed and i am not going to put a new engine in this unless dodge steps up. and i will tell anyone i know about this problem ,... and i know a few:)
    any help here on this forum would be welcome and is there a class action suit pending and where do i sign>?
    james
  • ifucantdodgeitifucantdodgeit Posts: 7
    edited November 2012
    I bought an 04 Ram 1500 Hemi that had around 80K miles on it when I bought it in Oct 2010. It was AWESOME the first year and a half I had it, only minor repairs i.e battery, idler pulley, ignition switch. I did regular maintenance on it as well as oil changes. then in early April 2012 I was driving home after running some errands, the truck had run great all day just like normal, but about 8 miles from house I hear this "THUNK" and I have no power!!!! I called someone to tow it home that night. I did thankfully have another car to drive. In the months since I have been slowly tearing the engine apart with my Dad, this week we finally pulled the heads and discovered that my # 6 piston was completely disintegrated and had punched a hole in my block! My original thought was that this was just a random fluke and it was just mine, but after reading this I see that it was not just mine! I see that there has been some talk of filing a class action lawsuit against Chrysler, If you guys do this I would definitely want in on it!!!! this is ridiculous for an engine that has no more miles than this and had been properly maintained. My parents have a 1999 Ford F150 that has almost 300K on it and has not been maintained nearly as well... as my Dad puts it "it has been run hard and put up wet" this engine has run like a CHAMP! it even still has the original battery in it!
  • I have unfortunately now joined the club of those 2004 Durango owners with a 5.7 hemi with sub-100k miles with blown engine. My experience was very similar to others who posted here. Durango running fine in morning. Got in car in evening, turned key and heard horrible metal on metal/rocks type sound. Diagnosis-severe engine damage caused puncture to oil pan. Service guy claimed to never have heard of this problem before, claimed not to know what punctured the oil pan, and made special note on diagnosis that oil was "dirty" and "2,000 miles past scheduled oil change." It was as if they were trying to protect themselves. Earlier this year, in June, I had taken Durango in to the dealer for a steering problem, but opted to go to an independent garage for the fix--and had my oil changed there. So-claim of past due oil change was completely inaccurate.

To fix this will cost me over $5,000 dollars-scandalous.
  • I called the NHTSA today to report this. EVERYONE who has had this problem needs to report it both to them and to dodge. If enough of us report it they will have to issue a recall on this engine. And I figure if everyone who has posted in this forum does this they will have to listen.
  • I called the NHTSA today to report this (MAKE SURE YOU CALL). EVERYONE who has had this problem needs to report it both to them and to dodge. If enough of us report it they will have to issue a recall on this engine. And I figure if everyone who has posted in this forum does this they will have to listen.
  • I too have a 2004 Durango with a blow rod and have been told by our dealer that it is not common and it would be over $6000 for them to install a new motor. My after market warranty refuses to pay for the replacement even though we have maintained the car to the recommended standards. We use Amsoil in all of our cars and have never had any problems and commonly drive cars to over 200,000 miles with no engine issues. We had our oil tested just like the other Amsoil user posted and water and metal contaminates were also found, though the oil had just been changed just before this happened. No warnings just some light intermittent ticking was heard and while the car was being driven around town one of the rods broke and it sounded like someone left a tool in the motor it sounds horrible! We had also experienced some engine stalling for no apparent reason just like other posters have experienced - no warning lights and the car would restart just fine. If there is a class action or we should contact someone to help us, please let us know.
  • Call dodge directly first of all file a complaint with them. Second call the NHTSA and file a complaint with them. NHTSA has to file a recall if they get enough complaints.
  • I'm quite sure everyone of us has reported this to Dodge and the NHTSA, so don't hold your breath!
  • burdawgburdawg Posts: 1,524
    "My after market warranty refuses to pay for the replacement" Why?
  • No I guess Im not Ive written letters made phone calls and no one even calls back or responds. We are finally looking into just having the motor rebuilt - I'm hesitant to put a remanufactured or rebuilt motor cause it sounds like we will have the same problem. I'm still trying to appeal to the warranty company but that hasn't gone anywhere either. Its very disappointing because I really love driving the truck - it was my mid life crisis car lol. Kids getting older and sick of the mini van!
  • My warranty company said it was because we chose to do the oil changes ourselves. We use Amsoil and keep very good records and even had the oil tested ourselves and our dealer even spoke to them on our behalf and stood behind our upkeep and any repairs made to the truck. We have had an attorney friend talk to them too and it hasn't gotten anywhere. Good luck - sorry I dont have better news.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,931
    edited November 2012
    You could also contact Amsoil for help. Search for their Warranty Security Flyer.

This is an interesting post on motor oil.
  • Well I am now one of the UNHAPPY 2004 Dodge Durango owners with a 5.7 hemi engine failure. Turned off vehicle to fill up with gasoline. Vehicle restarted fine and drove for approx 1 mile when I started hearing a "ticking" sound. This lasted for several seconds and stopped as fast as it came on. After going approx 3 miles further a loud banging noise started. This noise sounded as though something was in the engine beating around. Parked the vehicle and called a tow truck to take my truck to a local garage. When the vehicle was moved there was a small puddle of oil on the pavement but nothing that would suggest a thrown rod. Upon examination of the engine at the garage it was determined that a rod was in fact thrown and it would require replacing the engine to the tune of $5,400.
    This vehicle has been taken care of with regular oil changes and maintenance and had 91,000 miles on it.
    Who do I need to contact in regards to filing a complaint. So far I have gotten no where.
  • hey it cost 5000 for a rebuilt engine money i do not have i went to start my SUV up and all heard was clunk cluck and that was it end of story no one well pay for it so i am stuck with the SUV that i have 5 months to pay it off ant that some [non-permissible content removed]
  • We purchased our 2004 Dodge Durango with 5.71 Hemi brand new and have performed all Owner's Manual recommended maintenance. The last time we operated the Durango it ran like it always had from the day we purchased it. Two days later on October 31, 2012, my wife left to go to work. When she attempted to start the car it started knocking and engine oil started to come out of the bottom of the engine. Upon inspection I discovered a hole in the engine block. Looking at $5,000-7,000 to repair. This vehicle is showing 98,000 miles and had been used primarily as a commuter vehicle for my wife. We have since purchased a replacement vehicle and have a large very dead Durango in our driveway. Would be interested in joining a class action suit or getting any information about who to contact to file a complaint.
  • I was searching on the internet and I found that Chrysler recalled certain vehicles . Here is what I found.

Here is the link to this:

http://www.newcar.com/15/04/2012/dodge/durango/recalls/94173.html

Recall ID# 94173

Recall Date
    SEP 29, 2011

Model Affected
    2012 DODGE DURANGO

Description
    CHRYSLER IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2012 CHRYSLER VEHICLES, INCLUDING 200 AND TOWN AND COUNTRY MODELS, DODGE VEHICLES, INCLUDING CHARGER, DURANGO, GRAND CARAVAN AND JOURNEY MODELS AND JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE VEHICLES MANUFACTURED FROM AUGUST 31, 2011, THROUGH SEPTEMBER 13, 2011, THAT ARE EQUIPPED WITH 3.6L ENGINES. THESE ENGINES MAY EXPERIENCE CONNECTING ROD BEARING FAILURE DUE TO DEBRIS INSIDE THE ENGINE BLOCK.

Consequence
    CONNECTING ROD FAILURE MAY LEAD TO ENGINE SEIZURE WHICH MAY INCREASE THE RISK OF A CRASH.

Remedy
    CHRYSLER WILL NOTIFY OWNERS AND REPLACE THE ENGINE FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ON OR ABOUT NOVEMBER 18, 2011. OWNERS MAY CONTACT CHRYSLER AT 1-800-853-1403.

Potential Units Affected

Notes
    CHRYSLER GROUP LLC L33

So how come the 2004 hemi's aren't recalled??? I going to ask dodge that question.
  • wuzziernwuzziern Posts: 8
    edited November 2012
    And asked about why 2012 vehicles were recalled for the same problem as the many 2004,etc. 5.7L hemi engine. Call dodge and complain, then go ro your states A.G.'s office and file a complaint.
  • It will cost them tens of millions of dollars to do the right thing. I see these vehicles for sale on EBay and wish I could warn the bidders offering thousands of dollars for a low mileage 04-05 Durango. Ticking time-bombs are what they are.