Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mahindra diesel pick-up - worth the wait?

megasrt8megasrt8 Member Posts: 37
Vehicle: 4-door pick-up that seats 5, all wheel drive, 8.3in ground clearance, ABS, Electronic stability control, dual airbags.

Engine, transmision and tow specs: A high-torque, 2.2-liter four-cylinder engine and six-speed automatic transmission that’s expected to be rated at least 30 mpg on the highway (unloaded) and be able to haul up to 2,700 pounds and tow up to 5,000 pounds. AND if it can be had for low-$20,000s?

I have a Ford F150 that gets 17 MPG, and need a family car for economical daily and road trips. This would solves my dilemma of needing two vehicles. What's your opinion - worth the wait till Jan 2010?
Tagged:

Comments

• webmartianswebmartians Member Posts: 4
    I figured "What the heck" and signed up for a Mahindra test drive. I have a Toy 4Runner with 290k on it and, other than the Hybrid Highlander, Toy has nothing to offer me.

My hopes are that there will be a dealer somewhere near me (New England) and that the truck will be a normally aspirated Diesel (I have little faith in turbos). I understand that the hybrid version is on the way, but is going to be offered in two stages: a micro hybrid (just turns the engine off when idling) and then, s-o-m-e-d-a-y, a true hybrid. The micro hybrid is going to give no more than a 10% boost in efficiency (IMHO), and the true hybrid (betcha) will be delayed until Captain Kirk is an old man.

People in other countries who have used Mahindra vehicles say that they're "built heavy duty in all the right places" (I've heard that exact phrase a few times, now).

Ford has some kind of 4 liter Diesel for the F150, but I keep hearing horror stories about it. So... if the "Curry Wagon" is made available soon enough, I'll take the risk and buy one.

Sure is ugly, though.
  • bigmclargehugebigmclargehuge Member Posts: 377
    A couple niggles about your post...

A naturally aspirated diesel is an anchor with wheels. Couldn't keep up with typical US suburban traffic. I highly doubt they'd sell one without a turbo in the US.

Turbo's on a diesel are almost a necessity. Some of the most reliable engines in the world are turbodiesels.

Ford doesn't actually have a 4-L diesel in any of its vehicles (certainly not in the US).

The vehicles you've probably been hearing about are the current Powerstrokes. Ever since 2003, International and Navistar have built exploding engines for Ford's Superduty range.

Ford wants out of their contract with International/Navistar so they can supply their own diesels that don't explode.

If it is truly well built inside and out, I hope to test-drive as well.
  • livindiesellivindiesel Member Posts: 1
    There is a 4.5 liter Powerstroke that has been in production for several years. It is an International product. It is now deemed the Maxxforce 5 engine. This engine is used in some commercial/industrial (Citystar, W42,W62, CF500, CF600) vehicles. It was known as the VT 275 engine in my world.

What mystifies me, is this:

200 HP
    440 ft/lbs torque
    B50 life 408000 miles
    oil change interval 7500
    coolant change interval 300000
    2007 EPA compliant in current configuration
    V6 small footprint configuration

Why can't this go in a half ton pickup?
  • dane8dane8 Member Posts: 1
    I gotta disagree with big----'s comment about naturally aspirated diesel anchors. I drove a 1985 190D for years and loved it. It got 39 mpg on the highway. Drove it until the rust set in. (can't stand rusty cars) . It was a great road car. Diesels just like to run. In town, yep, every body rushes ahead - I always caught up at the stop lights anyway. Big--- alludes to the fact that diesels w/o turbochargers take a bit of time to run up rpm. I never viewed this as a problem. Never did have anyone honk or run over me either. I just let every body else do the competitive driving and drove my little mercedes like to wanted to be driven.

The bottom line was that instead of going everywhere and nowhere fast it is much more reasonable to experience going every where deliberately. I currently drive a turbocharged diesel SUV and long for the zen like driving experience of naturally aspirated diesel automobile.
  • megamikemegamike Member Posts: 42
    Turbo diesels are the most common engine in (big) trucks on the road today in the US, so there is no lack of technology making parts for them or mechanics who can fix them. That would be the least of my concerns with this truck.

The truck solves many of my needs all-at-once also, so I'm willing to take the $20k chance if my test-drive and dealership experience go well. i've seen the truck dressed up a bit, and I can certainly get used to the look.
    Dane, I'm not alluding to NA diesels being anchors, they ARE anchors. You just don't seem to have a problem with it.

Perhaps its not 'necessary' for all Americans to gun it at stoplights, but Americans typically do. I don't condone it, its just an observation.

Nobody is going to pay Frontier/Tacoma money for a truck that has no power. Not in this country. We have lead feet.

I have owned both a 1989 Ford F250 6.9 Liter N/A diesel and a 1990 7.3L turbo-diesel F250. Same truck, upgraded motor.

You may not think it's a big deal, but I feel the difference is night/day.

Anyway:
    its not like it matters what either of us think about them, since I did check out Mahindra's engines and the one we'll be getting is a turbodiesel.

So enjoy the boost ;) There will be no N/A diesels in US passenger cars in 2010.
  • megasrt8megasrt8 Member Posts: 37
    Thanks for all the feedback. I think a testdrive will be the deciding factor. I wish GV would annonce where they plan to be a when during the Tour Accross America,
  • rmerme Member Posts: 7
    The Mahindra is turbocharged according to their website!
    " The Mahindra is turbocharged according to their website! "

Logical. I don't think they could meet emissions criteria on a modern diesel without turbocharging.
    Yep, web site says it's a turbo. OK, I'll compromise my high principles (of course, I've never done THAT before) and take a very close look at it. If that thing can survive New England winters (I saw Mahindras in the Andes), it'll be a winner, no matter how ugly.
    A note of caution: Mahindra trucks in Australia have had less than stellar safety ratings. I don't know what the ratings, if any, in Chile are.

Also, I hear that California and New England emissions regulations may be difficult for any new Diesels. I have spoken to EPA folk and, without mentioning any actual results, they warn me that new Diesels for the "left" and "ice" coasts are experiencing some pretty rough regulatory hurdles.

Sigh...
This discussion has been closed.