Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Smell of Gasoline in Chevy TrailBlazer

richdrumrrichdrumr Member Posts: 2
edited December 2017 in Chevrolet
I have this continual gas smell coming from somewhere in the vehicle while it is parked and while driving. It has only just recently started. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with a recent Valvoline oil and tranny fluid change. Does anyone have a clue?

Comments

• little1651little1651 Member Posts: 1
    Back in October 2008, I received a letter to make me aware of an issue with some 2004 Chevy Trailblazers in certain states (CT, Del, DC, Ill, Ind, Iowa, Maine, Mryld, Mass, Mich, Minn, Miss, NH, NJ, NY, Ohio, Pa, RI, VT. WV, Wis). "Corrosion may cause small perforations with fuel tank modular reservoir assembly. Perforations may allow small amount of fuel to accumulate in a recessed area outside of the fuel tank. If this were to occur, it would be accompanied by a fuel odor. If left uncorrected and the corrosion is allowed to progress, a fuel spray from the pipes may begin to occur."
  • richdrumrrichdrumr Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your info. I have since taken the Trailblazer in for repair. I also found out there is a recall on that exact revservoir assembly. It seems that those metal pipes you were referring to are the only metal parts and on my Blazer the pipes snapped and sprayed fuel out when the mechanic put it on the rack. Very dangerous! The parts are expensive, about $550 alone + labor. There is a reimbursement form through GM you can obtain if you don't take it to a GM dealer for repair..
  • web111453web111453 Member Posts: 4
    I see it's been a few months since anything was posted on this subject. I found this info through a simple search and it has proved very helpful. I live in PA and about 2 weeks ago I detected an odor of gas near the rear of my 2004 TB Ext. I did not see any sign of a leak at 1st but after a few days I did notice a stain on the driveway. I printed out the info above and brought the TB to a local Chevy dealer. The dealer verified that the reservoir assembly was rusted and leaking and that the gas tank was also rusted. I was told the reservoir assembly was covered but the gas tank was not and that would cost $600 to replace! I objected, stated that I felt it was all related to inferior manufacture and that this is a serious safety issue. I asked for the number of the regional service rep and the dealer provided me with a toll free number. After negotiating the menu system I reached a rep who took my info including VIN & mileage (65K) and forwarded to a local regional service manager who contacted the dealer and myself a few days later. I was just informed today that GM would cover the entire cost of the repair! I haven't had a whole lot to complain about with the TB. I replaced a driver side front wheel bearing 2 months ago, that part was only available through GM and cost about $250. The A/C stopped working at the end of the summer & the system won't hold a charge so I still need to have that checked out. I get fairly decent mileage with the straight 6, almost 20. I'm beginning to feel, though, that it's starting to nickle & dime me. Thanks for the postings, it was a tremendous help.
    I just posted a message on a gas leak on the 2004 TB & forgot to mention this. I had about 60K miles on the straight 6 when I noticed an exhaust leak that got progressively worse. I brought it to a local shop who replaced it for me and was told when he went to the dealer for the part that "we have sold a few of these." The shop had a heck of a time, about half the bolts would not come out & had to be drilled. Good thing the 6 gave then just ehough room to do this. I wonder how prevalent this problem is & if anyone else out there has encountered it?
  • hpickhpick Member Posts: 1
    I was just informed that I have the same issue with my 2004 GMC Envoy XL. First thing I asked was whether they've had seen similar cases.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hpick,
    I’m sorry that you’ve got this concern with your Envoy. If Customer Assistance can help you work with your dealer towards resolving this, please email Christina with your name, contact information, VIN, and dealer name.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • gordon102711gordon102711 Member Posts: 2
    We recently purchased a used 2004 Chevy Trailblazer EXT, 2WD. We've had the vehicle about a month and have now noticed a strong gas smell coming in through the vents. The smell seems stronger when the vehicle is just sitting and we have just put gas in the tank. We have also noticed that the exhaust just keeps getting louder. It seems to be the loudest when sitting in the front, passenger seat. Any ideas on what this could be? I see in the past that there was a recall (in one of the states that I live in). Does this recall ever expire or will the dealership always pay for this repair? Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated. Thank you!
    We can look into the recall information on your vehicle for you. Please email Christina with your VIN and she can give you precisely whether or not this recall affected your vehicle and any parameters.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • gordon102711gordon102711 Member Posts: 2
    Sorry for the stupid question (I'm new to this), but who is Christina and how do I email her?
    Don’t worry – it’s not a stupid question! Christina is the customer service representative who typically helps the users of the Edmunds forum. You can email her at [email protected]

Take care,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • kurt18kurt18 Member Posts: 1
    I too have a smell of gas coming from somewhere under the truck. A code can up for p0128 but that is for Thermo temp and should have nithng to do with the smell. If I take off the air cleaner I get a real strong odor of fuel. Any suggestions?
    On mine the fuel pump canister on the top of the fuel tank had rusted out. At 1st no leak was apparent by a puddle on the ground only the odor and I thought the fuel cap might have been defective. After about 2 weeks drips on the ground became noticeable. I understand this is a common condition especially if the vehicle is operated in northern states and winter conditions where roads are heavily salted. In my case this was covered under the emissions control warranty which is over and above the standard warranty, 80K miles if I remember correctly. If this applies to you you may have to dispute this with your dealer as they don't seem to always offer this info. The cost of the job can run in the $600 - $800 range if I remember correctly. Good luck!
  • justjayejustjaye Member Posts: 1
    I have replaced all 6 of the ignition coils in my truck at least twice now, but I'm having to replace the number 1 and 2, constantly, my truck will run for a month tops, and then the smell starts getting stronger, the exhaust gets louder, and one of the ignition coils has went out. Has anyone else had a problem with their ignition coils.
  • serenity9serenity9 Member Posts: 1
    yes, I have been having this problem w/ my 03 chevy trailblazer, ignition coils needs to be replaced also the smell of asoline is unbearable
  • dhazlettdhazlett Member Posts: 1
    I have the gas smell and found a notice for it saying it was covered to 150,000 miles, but amazingly my VIN is only covered to 120,000 miles. I have 121,768. GM sucks. Why are cars covered for different mileage amounts?
    dhazlett,

If you would like for us to get you more information on this program or check into this further with you, please send us more information via email at [email protected] (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your preferred dealership with your inquiry).

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • whatc34956whatc34956 Member Posts: 2
    2004 Chevy Trailblazer EXT, 4WD. I smell gas coming in through the vents. The smell seems stronger when the vehicle is just sitting and or when I put gas in the tank. I have also noticed that the exhaust just keeps getting louder. It seems to be the loudest when sitting in the front, passenger seat. Any ideas on what this could be? Is there a recall in NJ? Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated. Thank you!
  • t_spider2000t_spider2000 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer LT. I have just recently started smelling gas under the hood. The odor is strongest when I am just sitting at idle, or maybe that is when I start to smell it the most. There is also a clicking noise, which resembles the noise that a tensioner gives. I had it replaced last summer, when I returned from a tour in Afghanistan, and then a week later, it starting clicking again. Now I have the odor of gas coming out from the hood. The smell is strongest on the passenger side. I bought my truck in VA in Sept. 2008, and now I live in Georgia. I dont know what is going on here. I love this truck. Can someone give me some insight on this please. Thank you.
  • abmtz12abmtz12 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem in my 03 trailblazer, maybe you could helping me out by telling me what did you find out, how did you fix the problem? It would really be fo great help.
  • t_spider2000t_spider2000 Member Posts: 2
    I havent fixed the problem yet. I am waiting to havea day off from work so I can look at it, but if and when I figure something out, ill post an update on here.
  • whatc34956whatc34956 Member Posts: 2
    my problem was the gas tank modular assembly. there is a warranty extension on this part if your vehicle has less than i believe 120k.check gm customer service 1-866-790-5600.good luck.
    On mine it was the fuel pump canister that goes into the top of the tank. It is metal and was rusted out. At the time it was covered under the emissions warranty. I had just under 70K miles. When I 1st detected the odor it was tough to figure out. I thought it was the fuel cap which I replaced with no effect. After about 3 weeks I began to see a puddle of gas under the vehicle.
  • gsscoutgsscout Member Posts: 1

Is there a recall on this? I have a 2004 Chevy Trailblazer which has a gas smell. I live in Maine

• trailblazin6trailblazin6 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 trailblazer with fuel smell emitting outside and inside the vehicle. This issue with the fuel delivery system is a very dangerous situation and mileage should not be a factor here, when a warranted repair is needed if for no other reason than safety. This is my primary vehicle which I cannot drive now due to the smell, and the potential hazard to me and my family.
    My vehicle sits now at a GM dealership as they were the ones that told me that I have a fuel sending unit NOT the fuel pump, but I have to purchase the pump (550+) dollars and the fuel tank which is another 800 dollars. All told I would have to shell out 1700 dollars just to be able to drive my vehicle safely. I don't have that just lying around.
    I contacted GM and was promptly told that there are NO recalls, were no recalls that pertain to this situation. Even though I bought this vehicle used, at 120,000 miles on it, it was in great shape and to this day love the vehicle. I did purchase a warranty through the dealer that sold me the car and contacted the warranty company that informed me that the fuel tank, sending unit AND the pump were NOT covered in the warranty due to corrosion, rust OR wear. Kind of crappy on their part. So now basically I'm going to have a lawn ornament that is a Chevy Trailblazer posted with a sign DON'T Buy GM cars. It's sad to be sure. An American car company that really doesn't stand behind their products especially when it's a safety issue, and where mileage should NOT be a basis of coverage.
  • shonellisshonellis Member Posts: 1
    Help, how can I find out about the 2004 Chevy Trailblazer recall for faulty fuel part causes the string smell of gasoline? I reside in GA and cannot find my VIN on the recall list.
  • sandivasandiva Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2017
    Is there a recall on the 04 TB.. I too have a strong odor of gas emitting from passenger side under hood n inside vehicle.  152k miles..just purchased Saturday.. Im veeeery upset this vehicle was not repaired before the Chevy dealership sold it to me... Wholesale vehicles do not go thru inspection..but sure they smelled the gas. Im going to call the dealership with regards to the danger of this situation...regardless if used..as is..etc. This is life threatening and very concerned if there is a recall... Can anyone assist?
  • sandivasandiva Member Posts: 2
     :@  :@ :@
  • AnadalesAnadales Member Posts: 1
    sandiva said:
    Is there a recall on the 04 TB.. I too have a strong odor of gas emitting from passenger side under hood n inside vehicle.  152k miles..just purchased Saturday.. Im veeeery upset this vehicle was not repaired before the Chevy dealership sold it to me... Wholesale vehicles do not go thru inspection..but sure they smelled the gas. Im going to call the dealership with regards to the danger of this situation...regardless if used..as is..etc. This is life threatening and very concerned if there is a recall... Can anyone assist?
    Did you solve the problem?  I have the same issue
  • Chief03Chief03 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 03 Chevy trailblazer quit running going down to highway after loosing power it quit and I got gas in the oil.  Can anyone help
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Gas in the oil could be a fuel injector stuck open, or piston rings. Did you get a LOT of gas in the oil?
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,122
    Chief03 said:

I have a 03 Chevy trailblazer quit running going down to highway after loosing power it quit and I got gas in the oil.  Can anyone help

I am not clear from your description if the engine quit running and can't be restarted is what you're describing.

Does it crank over but not catch and start running?

Does it have the sound of the fuel pump running in the tank for a short second when the key is first turned on? Then it turns off automatically after having primed the fuel pressure?

The smell of gasoline in the oil could be
    1) a symptom of worn rings (how many miles are on this puppy?)
    2)Could be a result of short trips and not getting up to full engine temperature and being run at that temperature
    which clears the condensed fuel and other contaminants out of the oil as it hits the hot upper cylinder part of the engine?
    3)Could be the result of too much fuel from fuel injectors letting fuel past them
    Or a fuel pressure module that is on higher pressure setting due to broken diaphragm or vacuum line to it that is cracked or broken.
    Or oil that has been run too many miles and not changed.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Chief03 said:

I am not clear from your description if the engine quit running and can't be restarted is what you're describing.

Does it crank over but not catch and start running?

If it won't start but does crank, Does it have the sound of the fuel pump running in the tank for a short second when the key is first turned on? Then it turns off automatically after having primed the fuel pressure? That verifies the fuel pump runs but not that it is producing enough pressure.

The smell of gasoline in the oil could be
    1) a symptom of worn rings (how many miles are on this puppy?)
    2)Could be a result of short trips and not getting up to full engine temperature and being run at that temperature
    which clears the condensed fuel and other contaminants out of the oil as it hits the hot upper cylinder part of the engine?
    3)Could be the result of too much fuel from fuel injectors letting fuel past them
    Or a fuel pressure module that is on higher pressure setting due to broken diaphragm or vacuum line to it that is cracked or broken.
    Or oil that has been run too many miles and not changed.
    4) A thermostat that is letting the engine run below 190 range can cause more fuel and condensate smell in the oil. Be warned if the oil is thinner because of the fuel in the oil, that can cause more rapid wear on the rings.

Car needs to go to a good mechanic for evaluation.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Oh, that's not good. Gas in the oil is the short road to engine destruction. Aside from what PF mentioned, this could also be an ECM malfunction. You've got to get on this problem right away.
  • FRB_55FRB_55 Member Posts: 1
    Nothing said about fuel smell in a 2002 Trailblazer. Is there a recall? Anyone?
    Check fuel lines where they end at connections with o-rings. Those weaken with age. Check for leak near tank due to metal lines corroding from road salt/brine if you're in a salt area.

• Redking85Redking85 Member Posts: 1
    When I start my 04 Trailblazer (115k) it smells like fuel for awhile after I start driving it eventually goes away.
    Could this be the same recall issue with the resovoir?