Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Chevy Equinox Problems

Comments

• cameevacameeva Member Posts: 2
    Crazy, 2010 Chevy equinox does the same thing only I have about 20k miles. It idles real rough and shakes at times when stopped at lights and stop signs. A majority of the time once it starts shaking, it will stall, with no warning light or engine light. We might be on to something here….
  • jonoxjonox Member Posts: 100
    Suggest you do a search of the "2010 Equinox Problems" threads for the word "ECO". You will find that some owners seem to have avoided the engine hesitation by not using the "ECO" setting which is designed to lower engine RPM for better fuel economy.

The "Eco" setting may be ok if you use it as an "overdrive" setting for highway cruising.

Worth a try anyway.
  • spbb_1975spbb_1975 Member Posts: 2
    We also have a 2010 and it does the same darn thing..we thought it was because we shipped it to Germany and it sat on the boat..well I think that Chevy needs to fix this issue..it annoys me. My check engine light comes on for like a day or two then turns of for like a week..its so strange..I really like my car but its brand new..has anyone taken it to a dealer to see why it does that. Also today my Stailitrak light came on..we were just driving normal on the road..I am thinking the 2010 are screwed up.
  • luminalady97luminalady97 Member Posts: 15
    I have the 4 cyl basemodel 2010 Enox, that I bought new in July 2010. It has 13, 000 miles on it, and I do get 24 around town, but only get 25MPG on the highway. Did your 24-26 MPG include highway miles as well? By the way I love my car, and am hoping after 15 months, it is still in the breaking-in stage, and the better MPG's will kick in soon!
  • roykulproykulp Member Posts: 52
    I get an estimated 22-24 around town depending on my driving habits; agressive driving in city / stop and go traffic 22 MPG or lower; this is to be expected. Interstate Road trips driving at 70 MH I average about 27-29, depends on road conditions, weather and running A/C will all affect MPG on all vehicals. Overall I average 24 MPG with this 2010 4cyl. Nox and currently have 35000 miles on drive line. I let dealer change oil ever 3000, keep tires inflated at 40 PSI and only had a few warrantee items takes care of since purchasing NOX in October 2009. So far no real issues; its been a good vehical.

Being said; I have not seen 32 MPG or greater that is advertised; however I expect to pick up another 1 to 2 mpg this winter when not running the A/C 7 days a week in the extreem Florida heat. Overall not a bad value, concidering cost and size of vehical.
  • luminalady97luminalady97 Member Posts: 15
    Thank you so much for your input. I usually go 70MPH on the highway with the eco on and the cruise control. I have never done better than 25 MPG on the highway. I do consistantly get 24 around town. I really love this car, however I had an HHR that always got 25 around town and 28-29 on the highway. I traded up to the Nox thinking I would have the same mileage in a bigger vehicle! Most of my driving is local anyway, so I am happy. I have not had any issues with my Nox at all, and for that I am thankful. I keep my tires at 35PSI, so maybe I should fill them at 40 like you do and see what happens.
    You will get a little better wear / mileage running higher tire PSI if you don't mind a firmer ride. My vehicals always seemed to handle a little better with higher PSI also. In addition; I'm a firm believer for adding fuel conditioner every 3000 miles To ASSURE I Do Not have any fuel related issues. I have used LUCAS Fuel Conditioner for years and have used it in this suv since new.
  • photojemphotojem Member Posts: 5
    Like you, I have the 2010 base LS. I received it on Sept 4th of 09, and to date it has just under 21000 miles logged. I'm consistently getting 22-24 MPG in local travel in upstate NY. But, once it hits the highways, it performs as advertised and gives me 32-33 MPG. The only recommendations I can give you is let the car take control; give it up to the cruise control and have fun with the thumb wheel! BUT...keep your top speed below 71...or the MPG drops quickly. Watch the tach & you;ll get the hang of it.
    I agree; over 70 MPG there is a significant difference in MPG; I'm sure you do not run your A/C like I do in Florida; I noticed a 2 MPG increase when not running A/C last winter in Florida; which was about 5 months of cooler spring type weather last winter, comparable to your summers in New York. I bet this SUV will handle well in the snow and ice for you; from my expreince in windy rain storms in florida.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    I too here in Michigan notice a 2 mpg difference between air and no air conditioning.
  • debhansadebhansa Member Posts: 1
    Wow. I have had my 2010 Equinox for 1.5 years, a little over 25,000 miles. Yesterday was the first time that it started to buck at a light and almost stalled out. Of course I was on a road where there were a number of lights and it did it repeatedly. I pulled into a parking lot, shut the car off, shut the eco off, and it seemed to be OK the rest of the day. It was very unsettling to say the least--and made me feel unsafe. I travel in way too much traffic that is stop and go to tolerate this kind of problem. The car was an expensive investment for me. It has been to the dealer because I felt there was something wrong with the transmission, and it makes an odd chirp very often when it is turned on--of course it did not perform at the service appointment--but readily did when I started it to go home. I love the comfort of the car otherwise. I have a service appointment on Tuesday--but after reading this discussion--I have to be prepared that everything will check out just fine. . .
  • kzk8brownkzk8brown Member Posts: 12
    I am impressed that you guys are getting 22-24 local mpg & 25-26 long distance. I've had my 2010 eqinox since feb 2010, must have around 27,000 miles. consistanly get 21 mpg local and maybe 22-23 long distance. I will have to try driving under 71. I do hover around that or 65 on some part of US 86. OTher than the MPG I love the comfort ,size of the car handles great in the snow.
    I would suggest adding fuel conditioner "LUCAS"and turning the ECO OFF while in Stop & Go traffic. I only use the ECO on a road trip, this 4cyl needs the extra fuel / power for stop and go or I find it stuggles and I'm not satisfied with the performance.
  • dahahniidahahnii Member Posts: 3
    I have had pretty good luck with the vehicle since the timing chain was replaced and just went through my second oil change. As I left the dealer it ran very rough and stalled but ran properly after re-starting. I would be interested in hearing how yours is performing as I am reaching 40K miles
  • robert145robert145 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2010 Equinox with only 13,500 mi. and I just had the timing chains replaced. They had the car for a week. Apparently the service manual says to replace the old oil pan gasket, but it began to leak, so they ordered a new one. It wasnt why I brought it in though. The first time it in was for engine knocking during acceleration, but service told me it was the fuel pump making the noise (NOT) but now its all the time. It resembles the old pre-ignition problems/sounds from long ago. Now Im supposed to take the Service Manager for a ride on monday to prove my point. Ive tried different gas, higher grade gas, but nothing changes the problem. I also read about an ECM software upgrade for the problem, but they tell me I have the most current. Im also in contact with GM. Its not only an embarrassing sound but it has to be doing damage to the engine.
  • robert145robert145 Member Posts: 5
    Well, I took the car back forth 4th time. This time I took the mechanic for a ride. He wanted to drive, but I knew he drove it last time and found nothing. This time he got to hear the engine knocking & pinging for 10 or 15 min. We drove through a residential area 30-45 mph on a winding upgrade. They told me the last time the car was in, the software was up to date. Weather or not they actually hooked it up to the laptop I have no idea. He said he would reconnect the laptop to see if in fact the car would accept any updates. There was an update. After the install, this apparently fixed the problem. Since last night, I have not heard any engine rattling/knocking or pinging. I hope this addresses the problem.
  • mrnibmrnib Member Posts: 1
    Hi guys.
    Well I am another well satisfied 2010 Equinox owner with only that computer problem a year ago. I got mine in aug 2009, and Love it, but I'm sorry to say but happy about my problem is I have gotten as much as 33.9 mpg on a trip to Georgia from Indiana and all my trips still get 31-32 mpg. Around city and short hwy combo's 24-25. No fast starts and I do the speed limits. Mountain driving was better than expected for the 4 cylinder. No big decrease in speed. I'm like the positive group, very happy.
    Thanks Rick
    Hey Rick...I'm glad to hear some positive feedback; I also purchased my 2010 in October 2009 and have not had any real issues to speak of. However, last week I had my 36000 mile check up, oil change, ail cleaner changed and transaxle fluid flushed and changed. The service department also up-dated several codes related to fuel / engine. Being said, my fuel mileage INCREASED BY about 2.5 MPG and the engine never ran so smooth; a very impressive service improvment to the vehical. I'm getting 24 MPG around town; have not been on any trips in a while to check hwy MPG however before the up-grades I was getteing 28 MPG driving at 70 mph +...Not bad for a mid size SUV!
  • ronwelronwel Member Posts: 57
    edited October 2011
    I basically had the same service on my vehicle a few weeks ago. They did and oil change, replaced a few filters, did a throttle body clean, and updated the computer. Ever since then my nox (built july 2009 - bought july 2009), has felt like a totally different car. It shifts a lot smoother, and the car does not shudder and shake any more. Not sure if the computer upgrade had anythig to do with it, but it's amuch better vehicle now.
    DITO..I was really suprised how smooth the drive line performed after that service; the shudder was common when sitting in traffic; its GONE and shifts great since the service and up-grade! Cant' wait for my next road trip to crunch the average MPG I will be getting.
  • kzk8brownkzk8brown Member Posts: 12
    Interesting. I just had an oil change 3 weeks ago. No one mentioned upgrading the computer system. Worth looing into. THanks
  • huxtubulhuxtubul Member Posts: 1
    I to have a 2010 Equinox but with 26k miles with simular shifting problems and some shudder. Also the down shifting seems to too late to maintain speed up hills. Can you tell me what computer update code was installed on your vehicle. I need to have my oil changed in a couple of weeks and plan to have my dealer address these issues along with a "ticking" noise at idle.

:confuse:
  • ronwelronwel Member Posts: 57
    My W/O says:

Cause; Document ID 2551605 Update PCM 1164E
  • stitch14stitch14 Member Posts: 1
    I also have a problem with my 2010 Equinox, that the dealership has repaired or replaced 7 parts in the engine. I as well am frustrated and just want out of the car. Are you still driving your equinox or were you able to get out of it? I have been "working" with the dealership and Chevy customer support trying to get this car replaced. I told them I'd be willing to take a 2011 or 2012 equinox as long as I don't have to drive this piece of junk. I can't get any answers yet, only that it will cost me to have my vehicle replaced even though it is completely their fault it has these problems. Please let me know if you were able to get anything done with your equinox.
  • stephcpstephcp Member Posts: 9
    Mine has that ticking noise too, it doesn't seem to do it all the time though! I hesitate to bring it up because the standard response seems to be "if you cant replicate it we cant fix it". I'm interested to hear what they tell you about it.
  • sfgb93sfgb93 Member Posts: 1
    My car did that same thing last night, driving, and all of sudden just slows down, no RPMs, looked to see if it shift to neutral, gave it gas, nothing. After it stop placed on park turned off and then restarted, good to go. What the Hell was that all about? It only has 8500miles, year 2010!
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Sfgb93,
    Sorry to hear about your Equinox concern. If Customer Assistance can help you work with your dealer towards resolving this, please email Christina with your name, contact information, VIN, and dealer name.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • cgallo2cgallo2 Member Posts: 8
    As a consumer that works extremely hard for her $$$ I’d like to for warn you about what your future could hold if you purchase a brand new vehicle with GM Canada.

I bought the GM 2010 Equinox – base modal, no extras, brand new. I really love(d) this car, beyond happy with the look, drive everything until 20,000km hit and my car began to sound like it had a diesel engine.

I worked very closely with my dealership for the next several months to try and determine the cause, they did change belts and do other small repairs however the engine continued to always go back to this noise?

One day I was driving the vehicle and it began to shake vigorously at a stoplight – so I went straight to the dealership, and told me my car had no oil in it? Weird, the oil light never came on nor did the engine light yet the car was on the verge of the engine seizing – scary, so those censers – don’t depend on them! Glad I was city driving, and not on the highway that day.

When I returned 2 days later for an oil change – I was told the car had a major oil leak. I live in a new home, new driveway – no oil? Where is all this oil going? So I went on an oil consumption report to help GM understand the issue. So for 10,000km I had to visit the dealership every 1000km so that they could monitor the issue. This is my oil history;

June 30th – 2 ½ liters added
    July 2nd – Engine required shampooing due to excessive oil leak, dye ball placed in oil tank to determine were the oil came from.
    July 12th – Drop off car for overnight service to determine were the oil was leaking from
    July 13th – Told a part has been ordered, gasket cover broke and needed to be replaced, once done I’ll go back on the oil consumption report. Still very concerned that I’m being told I had a massive leak yet no trace of oil on my driveway?
    July 26th – add 500ml of oil
    Aug – 1.5 liters added, GM recommends decarbonizing before taking engine apart
    Aug 22nd – drop off car for the decarbonizing, pick up then come back in 1000km
    Sept 8th – 350ml added, told I may need to have the engine pulled apart
    Sept 20th – Was told the car was fine, no oil burned
    Oct 7th – 1.5L added, told to call my service advisor on Monday to schedule the drop off and get me in a rental so they can take a part the engine.

Now, I truly believe that because this issue clearly began back at 20,000km I felt and voiced that I did not want them to rebuild however replace the engine. Every service suggested I did from purchase, I’ve put so much $$ into maintaining the car that I felt it was only fair – but GM said their policy is to take apart the engine to find the problem. I voiced my concern that the oil & engine light did not come on, they’ll look into it. I also would like them to tell me if the line my vehicle came off of, has anyone else experienced this issue? Cause I’ve read other people’s blog’s saying they had the same problem I’m having and I’m wondering, did their car come from the same line as mine?

I told them the reason I wanted and felt I deserved a new engine was because of the maintenance I’ve put in to trying to prolong the life of the car by doing all recommended service, the fact that the issue began at 20,000km and I’m now at 65,000km and its still occurring, and the fact that they have no idea why it’s burning oil how can they be sure it hasn’t caused any other damage to my engine – I’m not a service technician so how do I know that this oil issue isn’t contributing or causing other strains that may not be visible now however could develop down the line from this unknown reoccurring problem.

If I didn’t do all the recommended service I’d be ok, well not ok but understand the rebuild but why did I pay for all that extra service, to me this appears to be a manufacturer’s defect (Unknown burning oil/censers don’t respond) and not regular wear and tear. I mean, hey, if the oil in your vehicle wasn’t an important factor, why do we all do oil changes? Aren’t we all told that by not doing oil changes along with other maintenance were decreasing the life of a vehicle? Yet I was told by GM Customer Care – “Ma’am, the issue will be noted on file for future reference” – that’s reassuring, right?

So, now, after I’ve been able to share my story I hope this helps you in your decision in purchasing a new GM, or any new car for that matter. I always tell myself to learn from my misfortunes and today I’ve learned that when I’m thinking about buying another vehicle I will buy used, for sure. If I knew that buying new would provide me with this kind of service and reliability I would have definitely explored more options. I made the mistake of thinking that by buying a new vehicle I would have assurance that I would have a reliable vehicle, and that with maintenance I could hopefully get a good life out of the car, for my family. I was mistaken. ☹

P.S. If I’m wrong PLEASE educate me cause I have no idea how cars work, I’m basing my feeling purely on business, product and ethics, so I’d love some feedback – bad or good please.
    Oh, even better GM called to tell me that the reason the oil light never came on is because I had to pay extra for that censers? I was assured that the engine light is standard however the oil light function is now an added feature - keep that in mind people!! Does that make sense?
  • carguy05carguy05 Member Posts: 30
    You have got to be kidding How stupid do you think GM thinks their customers are? Very disturbing!
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    Hope you get the oil problem resolved if it beyond acceptable range.
    Also I would never wait for an oil light to come on to add oil, by the time it does you are way low.
    Its the owners responsiblity to periodicly check the level and add as needed in between changes.
  • smc8888smc8888 Member Posts: 25
    Your claim is extremely serous and I find this very hard to believe, if this is really what happened, you should let GM know with the person's name and phone number.
  • smc8888smc8888 Member Posts: 25
    I have had the knocking-like sound on my 2010 Equinox for sometime and the service guy told me the same lie (fuel pump noise) which I don't believe it (if this is fuel pump noise then every Equinox should have it, which is not true). The sad thing is that you almost have to pin-point the problem before they can help you resolve it. I took it to my dealer three times for this problem and finally gave up (Every time I take my car for dealer service, I'm afraid that they will screw up something else). I would be interested to know what happen to you next.
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Smc8888 (and other posters, as well),
    If we can be of any assistance (help work with a dealership towards resolving a concern, looking into warranty/recall information on your vehicle), please email us your name/user name, contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN, and your involved dealership.
    Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    edited November 2011
    Did GM call or your dealer? If dealer than I suggest that you find another dealer as I have never heard of such a thing and the way the dealer is screwing you around it aint going to get any better. He sounds like he should be working on lawn mowers instead of cars. I sure hope there are other dealers not to far away.
    And by slight chance if it really was a GM bigwig than I sure hope our customer service rep here steps in and straightens it out and if they can't they need to just go away slso as they aren't any better than whoever gave you the bull about the sensor. Customer Service you need to make this right as if what she has posted is even near the truth and I believe it is all the truth you need to see she gets this fixed NOW with another engine installed somewhere else besides the fly by night dealer she is using now.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    cgallo2,

Thank you for taking your time to explain to me your concerns, frustrations and experience. I apologize; can you please send me your complete contact information, VIN and current mileage? I look forward to your response.

Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • bnballoubnballou Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I have a 2011 with exact problem. They changed out the two front speakers on left side and the problem remains. 3000 miles. This is really bad. Any word on yours?
  • kynoxkynox Member Posts: 18
    The dealer heard the noise and replaced the speaker. The noise stopped with the new speaker .Noise came back two weeks ago in the new speaker and car is going back in tomorrow to address.I called customer assistance and they said they had no known problems of this nature reported to them. They did say if a TSB has been issue the dealer would have that info. I will post if I find anything out. A few posts on GMInsidernews.com shows there are a few with the problem but has no remedy posted.Good luck with yours.
  • susanne123susanne123 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2010 and had the speaker problem. Crackling on the left side and sound going off randomly. They never could figure out what the problem was, replaced channel and left speakers. The last thing they did was take everything apart to see if they could find anything and they couldn't. After that, the problem was gone and now if has not happened again and it has been quite awhile. All I can think is that the wires were screwed up somehow and when they took everything apart, it fixed them.
    Thanks for your response, the dealer is working on the car as we speak, the engine has come back to the shop and they'll be putting it back into the car - under warrenty but really, the issue started at 20,000km and I'm now at 65,000km - the dealership knows this, weather GM acknowledges this is their issue - that's my issue, their ignoring the fact that I've been working with the dealer on my time for months, for a brand new car?. I've let them try to resolve the issue which I believe was a defect. I will take your advice and check my oil level 100% for sure going forward to ensure the issue was correct, so what do you think is normal burn? Honestly, I would never think that this would be something I should check, no one I've told this issue to has ever had a car that burned to much oil within the 5000km between oil changes? Please keep the advise coming cause my lemon's unfortunatly paid off so I'm suck with my junk :(
    I have sent you a message at your request, welcome to my pain :(
    Do you know that they upset me so much I asked to speak to a supervisor, while at work balling in my bathroom(I'm so senetive - side issue) and was told they won't do anything for you, I don't know what you want - Um, to be treated like I just purchased a product that I'm not happy with, talk to me like your listening, acknowledge the issues, acknowledge if it's happened in the past with the same line/shift - but I got nothing. As a consumer, honesty - I'm shocked at the service you get, like if I knew they were gonna treat me like dirt, why spend money on a car, buy used? They still come with warrenties, and it's like I paid to do all that extra service to get more life outta my lemon(I now refer to it as a $30,000 lemon). Like, I'm stuck with a car that the manufactor doesn't care, and now by involving GM - how do you think the dealer is gonna treat me, like honestly - welcome to my hell on earth!! I was so happy with this purchase and now it sickens me thinking about going into the shop and having to ask the service manager why I would have to pay extra for a censer for the oil light to come on - like again, I'm doing all of the work and getting no where.
    I know right, but what could I do - this guy went from explain that the light would only come on if the car touched it's 2L reserve but when I told him that when I took it in and said the car was shaking - they told me I was runnin on empty basically, and when I said the light never came on they bruched it off - maybe cause they knoew I never paid for the extra feature? I'm stuck and can only hope that the car is fixed and I get a decent life out of it but I tell you - I will use my car to advertise my problem if I have to cause they didn't want to listem so as long as my story can be heard - I will continue to tell it and provide updates to others.

Still, not sure why allowing them to try and provide more ansers cause I believe in playing fair so the ball is now back in GM's court - my dealer, I had a good relationship but the CSR from GM I was working with who was talking to my dealer lord only knows what damaged he's done cause if they talk to me the way they did - can you imagine how they talk to the dealers selling their car.

I feel like I'm stuck in the middle - the dealer believes I had a right to ask for the new engine because they've actually been dealing with me for months but you get GM involved and it becomes a it's the dealers problem, it's GM - and somewhere, they forgot all about the poor consumer who been nothing but patience until she finally held up her hand only to get rejected at any claims that the car was defective?
    It was the GM rep who told me the censer was extra - cause I said when I start the car the light it their, I see it - but then I was told - ys, you need to pay extra for the censer. They should have the call recorded cause I started crying the second time I talked to them so I would imagine they must have a policy when the customer are that upset they should record the calls wish I did though.
  • bnballoubnballou Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, Yes my dealer replaced my speakes noise back next day. I am going to make another appt as well. I have found many having this same issue. Kind of funny they say that its not a big issue, but yet a TSB is out. I will also update you ASAP. thanks
    Looking forward to hearing how your next appointment goes.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Great to hear that the speaker issue was finally resolved for you!

Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    edited November 2011
    Good to hear they are getting it back together for you. I see you are talking KM's and Liters so I assume you are not in the states so excuse me if I mess up on the conversion. Its would be very difficult to determine 'normal' oil usage as it can vary quite a bit from one vehicle to another, its better to think of 'acceptable' usage.
    GM used to state a quart of oil every 1000 miles was acceptable (although this would generate quite a few complaints from owners), I think that would be roughly a liter every 2000KM.
    Engines should be better then that now.
    Once you do get it back I think I would be checking the level every 1000KM for a while and add (plus write down) oil as needed. Hopefully it will be a lot better for you.
  • kynoxkynox Member Posts: 18
    Hi.. My Nox when in yesterday for the speaker noise. When I first took in the Nox for the speaker the dealer told me then that he wasn`t sure if it wasn`t a vibration from somewhere resonating thru the speaker. Yesterday as they were digging around trying to find the noise they found a place inside the door right behind the speaker where the safety bar did not look like it was insulated against the door skin as it should be. The safety bar has foam in between it and the door skin in spots along the bar. Behind the speaker he found that the foam had run down the inside of the door at that spot as if it would look if you came to the end of a tube of foam (runny). So they put in insulation at that spot. He assured me that he did not know if that would fix the problem or not. To bring it back in if it continued.
    My Nox has had this problem and a problem with a power window motor since I have had it. I now have 22,000 miles on it and it gets 30 mpg on the interstate and 22-24 around where I live. I use Shell gas exclusively and conventional motor oil I have changed every 3000 miles.
    I have read some of the horror stories about some dealers on here. I have to say the dealer I take my vehicle to make my experience nothing less than great. They listen, make no excuses and honestly try to correct the problem. Those of you that can`t say that keep looking . There are good ones out there.
  • michaelrussellmichaelrussell Member Posts: 2
    I recently bought a 2010 equinox, I've had it for less than a month and am taking it in to be serviced for the fifth time. The fuel pump has been replaced three times (to "fix" random acceleration after the vehicle was turned off), the window regulator in the rear driver side window is going in to be fixed for the third time on Monday, and the thing still runs like a farm tractor. I bring the engine noise to the attention of the dealer and get told it's normal, but when I have them bring up a new Equinox and run them side-by-side they sound like completely different vehicles. I've sent GM an email today, if they don't fix the fact I paid $25,000 for a product that is clearly defective, I'm filing a claim with the CAMVAP. I suggest that everyone having similar issues look into your state/provincial/federal "lemon laws" and start making GM pay for their disloyalty to their customers.