Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Chevy Equinox Problems

Comments

• eugene11eugene11 Member Posts: 8
    It could possibly be that if you are experiencing quick oil loss, the high pressure fuel pump/fuel rail is leaking gasoline into the crankcase and thinning out the oil, which is this case, there is no oil or very little oil residue in the upper part of the engine after a 24 hour down time, and the oil pump pushing the sump oil back up requires more time to put enough thin lubrication up to protect the upper engine components from damage and the noise clattering.
    Well, we made an appointment today, Tuesday, May 1/2012

In early April, I found no sign of oil on the Oil Dip Stick, shocked, had to add almost two quarts/liters, there was still over 30% Oil Life since previous Oil/Filter change with 100% Synthetic.
    April 10, changed the Oil Shell Full synthetic & Fram filter, and noticed the tailpipe was Black Soot.
    This past weekend, after only 1730km.1080miles, I had to add 1 quart of oil, tailpipe still black soot.
    My GM service coordinator tried to say that the oil consumption was normal, because GM says l-litre/quart of oil per 3,500km/2000miles was considered normal. I explained to him, that I already used a litre/quart in 1700km's and at 3500km's it will be 2 litres.
    I also told him about the Black Soot in the tailpipe, so he suggested the appointment on Tuesday. We'll see how this pans out. We love this vehicle.

On May 22/2012, we did not mention the oil loss, somehow thought we waited too long to change the oil, but now realize we should have, anyway we had another GM dealer in Florida take care of:
    (Engine Rattling noise, FIX: J1096/Water Pump & Balance Shaft Chain & Tensioner Per PI020ZB road test 4 miles)

(Intermittent Hesitation/shuddering,poor transmission shifting on acceleration at times. FIX: J0822 Camshaft Actuator Solenoid Valve Replacement 7126 WCT P#12646783/84, Misc Diagnosis 7126 WCT. Road test & 5 minute heat soak, engine hesitated on idle acceleration, no DTC set. Replaced Intake & Exhaust Cam Solenoids & Reprogrammed ECM/TCM per SPS programing warranty code for ECM 11CF9, TCM 1BD7D. Road test & Heat soak test good.

Wow, what a difference, quiet, smooth shifts, we thought for 2 years that the noise and poor shifting was Normal for the Equinox. We will come back with results on this next dealer visit on Tuesday.
  • heather39heather39 Member Posts: 8
    edited April 2012
    Update: still no vehicle back...has been in the dealership for almost 2 weeks now...apparently they have almost rebuilt the whole engine. Origionally it was to replace piston rings as per GM but they advised that any parts that were showing signs of wear or damage would be changed. Apparently it will be ready Friday morning. We will see....
    Just a quick update to my posting in case anyone is wondering about my mileage numbers. We are presently back in Quebec waiting on next Tuesday appointment on the Oil Consumption/Black Tailpipe Soot.
    We did not accumulate add'l mileage returning home as we tow the Equinox behind our motorhome, which means it just coasts behind the RV.
  • sherylm1sherylm1 Member Posts: 1
    We purchased our Equinox with only 5 miles on it. Shortly after purchasing we noticed a rattle in the engine. We reported it to the Chevy dealership service center in Albuquerque, NM. They claimed they couldn't hear it, and later said it was the passenger front seat that was rattling. Fast forward 1 1/2 yrs later - the rattling became much worse and the engine light came on. The Chevy dealership service center in Loveland, Colorado told us it is a defective cylinder head gasket. They are presently working on the car, but I'm concerned there will be more issues.
  • archer42archer42 Member Posts: 4
    edited April 2012
    have 2010 nox bought new july 2009 early build model been in for hvac and trans update and engine problems due to low oil pressure,have had major problems with steering sticking but only turning right, or changing lanes right also. dealer called gm and they replaced with new rack and pinion but problem came right back been back to dealer many times but they can't get it to stick.love my nox but getting sick of ongoing problem electric steering sucks have only 12000 miles on it now.
    Received a call on Thursday April 27th, that my NOX was ready...test driven and good to go....picked it up Friday April 28th at 7:30 am....copy of the w/o was unavailable due to the extensive list of things that were repaired... apparently whole engine rebuild.... dealership said they would mail it in a few days. Drove to work...seemed ok...was quite happy....for a while. By the end of the day...it had stalled twice....called back to dealership at 4:00 and it was dropped off again....service advisor completely speachless...

I am beyond upset with the lack of ownership on GM's part...my truck is a LEMON....nothing short of a replacement is going to fix these issues...I am not settling until my car is running at 100%.....

Had enuf...beyond frustrated!
  • didhedorightdidhedoright Member Posts: 15
    Like Bill Clinton would say "all Equinox owners FEEL YOUR PAIN" may your Lemon "REST IN PIECES". Good luck in getting them to replace your truck, try getting them to change it for a Ford ...
  • esperinosesperinos Member Posts: 18
    I am both a current and former Nox owner. We still have my wife's 2010 LS which, at 21000 miles, seems to be running OK. HOWEVER, I have taken to changing the oil every 3500 miles on it and not waiting until the on board computer and OnStar says so. I traded in my 2010 LT (after two dealer visits for timing chain then piston rings and valve covers when it was found to be burning oil) a couple of months ago and went with a 2012 Grand Cherokee.

Here's my take on this whole issue. GM has sold hundreds of thousands of Equinoxes (and the Terrain). From postings on this and other sites, I seem to get the impression that it is the 2010 model year (at least for the Chevy) that has had this issue. The extent of the problem is hard to determine - I believe we here are in a minority of owners, but significant enough (because of the nature of the problem) that this is a real problem for GM. I dont know whether there was a bad lot of engines in 2010 or what. My feeling is that once this engine develops problems, the whole thing should be replaced, and the defective engines thoroughly examined. Repairing the engine doesn't seem to do the trick. It's like operating on the heart - it is never 100% afterward and you just can't keep "fixing" it. I feel that had my engine been totally replaced the second time, I would have kept my Equinox. I enjoyed driving it and it was a good vehicle - except for one major flaw which cannot be ignored at the manufacturer's level.
  • nailsgirlnailsgirl Member Posts: 13
    Just got my Nox back. In the shop for almost 1 month. They replaced the engine and then had to put a different fuel pump on. Seems to be ok except my average gas milage went from 32mpg Down to 24.8. I sure hope that is going to get better. I probably need to drive it for a while in order to get an accurate MPG. Good luck to all the other people with ongoing Nox problems.
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    sherylm1,
    Have you gotten your vehicle back from your service center in Loveland yet? Please post an update as to how everything is operating; if you would like for us to check into anything, we can be contacted at socialmedia@gm.com
    Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    archer42,
    I'm sorry that you have encountered so many issues on your new Equinox. If we can look into this further with you, please feel free to send and email to socialmedia@gm.com with more information (include your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, the name of your dealership and any pertinent appointment details you can remember such as dates of visits/any money paid, etc.).

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    heather39,
    I'm sorry that you have been through this very frustrating ordeal - have you heard anything further in regards to what may be going on with your Equinox?
    Looking forward to an update, and if we can be of any assistance feel free to contact us at socialmedia@gm.com
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    I'm glad to see that you have your Equinox back! Hopefully it will be smooth sailing from here on out!
    All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    So, the dealership was suppose to call me first thing Monday morning with the plans for my vehicle....I initiated the phone call today at 3:00 pm to be told...."working on it".....and potentially full engine replacement. Apparently the oil levels had dropped....between my pick up at 8:00 am friday...and my drop off at 4:00 pm after it stalled twice.

No call from dealership as promised....is almost as frustrating as the whole ordeal with this car. I have been dealing with this now since November of 2010 ----- almost 6 months later and I am no further ahead.

And to top it all off...the rental car provided by dealership this time....was a FULL size Sierra 4 x 4....as they had nothing else available....so now I am also out of pocket huge $$ for gas!!!!!

Beyond Frustrated.
  • lauridsdlauridsd Member Posts: 15
    Just popping in to add a status update on my 2010 2LT that I ordered new in May 2010 and received late June 2010.

I put over 70 miles a day on my Nox, and I still love it. The EPA MPG rating was/is a fantasy, but I have logged over 42,000 miles and I am regularly averaging (according to the computer,) over 27 MPG. That is about what I was getting with a tiny 2005 Subaru Legacy AWD, and is better than most cars of similar size and weight so I really can't complain.

I have had no major mechanical issues of any kind. (Knock on wood.) I have changed the oil in advance of the system recommendation, but nowhere near every 3k miles. (Probably every 5-7k if I had to guess.)

I have recently noticed an annoying rattle coming from the driver's side rear door that sounds like maybe the power window hardware (or something else inside the door panel) is loose and rattling around a bit. I may take in it to see what they can do. I am now out of warranty , so we shall see how ridiculous it is in terms of cost to fix. (If I felt comfortable removing the panel, I'd poke around myself.) Other than that, this car is far quieter than anything I can remember driving.

Overall, I am still very happy with my Nox. I love the Bluetooth pairing with my iPhone, and the USB connection. I can listen to my tunes and podcasts on the way to and from work, using the steering wheel controls to skip songs I don't like, and the hands free functionality works beautifully, all while charging my phone.

I am sorry others have not had the positive experience I have. I have "sold" at least two other friends on 2010 model year or Equinoxes (Equinoxii?) and they are happy with theirs as well.
    My equinox ran well until about 85,000 km....since then...now at 125,000....has been a nightmare! Hopefully your car is not the same. This is my second equinox, also had 2008 with 165,000 KM when I traded in 2010 (was company car at that time vs mine now) and I had no complaints....obviously I bought another. I hope your experience is better than mine....they can't all be bad...there are a ton on the road.
  • kynoxkynox Member Posts: 18
    It has been awhile since I have posted on my 2010 Nox LT1. I have not yet had the rattling noise return from the front door right speaker . Hopefully it is fixed. I have 26,000 miles on the Nox and have had no problems other then the rattle. Drove 325 miles round trip 2 weeks ago 35% rural, 5% city and 60% interstate, half the time with the air on, cruse control set on 74 mph on the interstate and probably averaged 60mph on the rural roads . Gas mileage for the trip was 30.4 mpg. I figured the mileage myself first and then looked at the driver info center and it said 30.5. Pretty good mileage. I change the oil every 3000 miles using conventional motor oil. I`m pleased so far. Sure hopes it stays that way. Thanks
    heather39,
    Are you writing in from Canada? If you would like to have Customer Assistance look further into this situation with you, they can be contacted at 800-263-3777 (Hours: M-F 7:30am - 11:30pm, Sat 7:30am - 6:00 EST).
    Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    edited May 2012
    Well, let's start off with a positive, the dealer suggests that they conduct a Consumption Test, ie; every 500 or l,000 km, check the oil, if it's down, don't add, take it to the dealer for them to top up and record.

Now, they changed out the gasket on the oil filter cap, saying it was a jobber filter/gasket (Fram) and that I should only use original GM Delco part. They said that the gasket was showing some leakage due to tightening of the cap. I saw no evidence of any major loss of oil as I am having. Hopefully the Consumption Test will provide proof and allow dealer to dig deeper, hopefully before any engine damage occurs.

Black soot tailpipe is due to the fuel running rich for 2 minutes to heat the catalytic converter.

They said that there was no smell of gasoline in the oil, and that the engine light would come on if there was excessive gasoline being used and/or leaking into the engine oil.

There were a number of other items taken care of on this service, including replacing rear stabilizer links, replacing front left door speaking due to electronic noise , (Still There). Waiting on Cruise control steering switch due to completely worn out rubber. Placing airfoam in center dash to stop resonance noise.

Noises in engine compartment near firewall were addressed by tightening several items in that area. Time will tell if remedied.

I am actually confident that the dealer is intent on resolving the Oil loss.
    eugene11..... I have had the right front door speaker make a buzzing noise that would raise or get lower as you gave it the gas or let off the gas. I had the speaker replaced twice and the noise came back after replacement. The third time they found that where the door skin met the cross brace behind the speaker the insulation between the two looked as if it had come to the end of the tube of insulation and had run down the inside of the door . They insulated that spot and so far so good. I don`t know if this is what you are experiencing but if it sounds like it is have them check for the insulation between the two components. Evidently they were vibrating creating the sound I was hearing. . So far I haven`t had anymore problems. I hope it is fixed . Time will tell. Hope this helps.
    Thanks kynox, I am just waiting on the dealer call to install the Cruise Switch on the steering, and have them check out your experience. Hopefully it will resolve the annoying noise which appears to happen on certain short low base music inputs.
  • dmazzonedmazzone Member Posts: 20
    I am having the exact problem. But when I do go to the dealer for an oil change it's doesn't happen. In fact, this problem comes and goes, so they don't want me to bring in the car until they can hear it, which I understand. But, very interesting about the insulation, I will mention that to them when I go back for a checkup. Thanks
    Evidently the insulation is like caulk. It is used every few inches to insulate the door skin from the brace. My noise would only happen when it was warm outside. I was coming home one day and it was making the noise and I stopped at a dealer on the way that wasn`t my dealer of purchase . It was a dealer I have had experience with before and they got right in the car and we drove up the road and they are the ones who diagnosed the insulation was lacking. Hope this helped.
  • dmazzonedmazzone Member Posts: 20
    Yes, thanks, and that's when it happens to me as well, when it is warm. I'll bring this to their attention when I go next week. Thank you
  • 58mga58mga Member Posts: 8
    So met with Lead mechanic at dealership...no new offerings. He basically told me they had exhausted all avenues of diagnostics and cannot determine why there is a misfire on Cylilnder # 2. He was going to discuss situation with a field engineer in another part of the country.
    I am to follow up beginning this week coming. Now I am out in Left field by myself with a vehicle that is broken with no idea who is going to fix, or how to fix.

Let the letter writing campaign begin.......Oh Joy.....I love my equinox....NOT!!!!!!!
    58mga,

I'm sorry that the mechanic at your dealership has been unable to diagnose the source of the misfire concern with your Equinox so far; it sounds like they are consulting the right resources. If we can look into this further for you, please don't hesitate to contact us via email at socialmedia@gm.com

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • nox77nox77 Member Posts: 12
    I haven't posted in a while either, but I got a re-manufactured engine last week. Picked it up on Friday and I feel like I'm driving a new car. It sounds, feels and drives much better. After 67K miles of ticking, clicking, stalling, and many trips to dealer for a gear replacement, a timing chain, crank shaft, reprogramming....etc....the dealer finally asked GM to pay for replacing the engine. Have to say Hamilton Chevrolet in Warren MI did everything they could do to work through the problems.
    Thanks for updating, nox77! It's great to hear that the re-manufactured engine is operating so much better for you and that you feel like you're "driving a new car".

Many happy miles,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • stephcpstephcp Member Posts: 9
    No more worries about whether the engine is going to lock up, or just fall out in the street!! I traded my 2010 Equinox yesterday :D
    I may have just jinxed myself. On the way to work this (rainy / wet) morning, I stopped to buy an energy drink, and when I started the car back up, it began running really rough, sputtering at idle, threatening to stall, etc. It tripped the SES light (flashing) and the Stabilitrack service light. I shut it down, restarted, to the same effect, then shut it down and called OnStar for the diagnostic. They verified the "Cylinder 1 misfire" code. The next time I started it, the SES was on, but not flashing, and the engine appeared to run ok. On the advice of OnStar, I drove to the dealer, and they advised it was ok to drive on for a few days until I could get service scheduled.

Hopefully its something simple caused by the wet weather (wires / plugs), and not crazy. I'll let you all know.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Just curious, wondering what you replaced your 'Nox with.
  • bill9thrillbill9thrill Member Posts: 7
    This vehicle has been a nightmare. It rode somewhat rough from the start, but really started acting up after about a year. We took it in for a few days and were told the heat shield needed adjusted. A few months later same thing, wanting to stall, running rough. Same thing we are told, heat shield needs adjusted. A few months later my wife breaks down on the side of the road as vehicle completely stops and every light comes on inside. They replaced something that time (cannot remember what) but it took over a week and we were driving around a full size Silverado as a rental (real nice on mileage and our wallets). A few months later and it is sounding horrible and we are told there is no oil in the vehicle. They change it and a few thousand miles later it's ticking real bad again, take it in and again, no oil. We are told April 19, 2012 that it is an internal problem and they are going to replace the engine. Vehicle is taken to dealer April 30 and rental car given for a "2-day" job. One week later (today, May 8, 2012) I pick the vehcile up at dealer. I drive it 7(SEVEN!) miles and on my way to work the car starts smoking and the engine light comes on. Fortunately I was only a block from work. I called the dealer, who tells me they need to tow it back to dealer and a rental car will be arranged, yet again.

GM HAS (I repeat) HAS to do something about this vehicle. Sure, I do not incur a cost of a rental, but having to leave work repeatedly, get our daughters out of bed to pick up their stranded mother at 7am, and constantly worrying about this vehicle that we BOUGHT BRAND NEW and even special ordered to our exact liking is getting old. I wish there was some recourse for consumers. Perhaps I am eligible for a GM bailout?
    bill9thrill,
    I'm sorry that you have had to make so many service visits on your 2010 Equinox. Have you already opened a case with Customer Assistance on this matter (71-**********)? If not, please let us know! We'd be happy to look further into this with you.
    Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • garypriceomahagarypriceomaha Member Posts: 11
    Hi,
    I have a 2010 Nox with the navigation system/touch screen radio. The dealer has had to replace modules and now replaced the radio 2 times.

My latest problem is that it's not pausing live music from the hard drive. After GM telling them to replace the radio twice they can't figure out what's wrong. Any ideas?

The error I get on the screen is "try again later". I could try again but always the same error message.
    Hello garypriceomaha,

I checked into my resources that I have available and unfortunately do not have any troubleshooting information available for you right now. I'm sorry that you've made separate trips into the dealership that have been unsuccessful so far, but if we can follow up with your dealer on this we'd be happy to do so. Please get in touch with us via email at socialmedia@gm.com

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Got my 2010 'Nox into the dealership this morning. The service rep there thought it was probably a simple spark plug / wire problem that he has seen before.

Yeah, not so much. The cylinder 1 misfire turned out to be a loss of compression due to an ill-fitting piston. Apparently, my vehicle is among a known / identified list of Equinoxes that were assembled using a cylinder #1 piston that was a few millimeters too small in diameter. The presence of the piston rings has been the only thing providing anything close to a proper seal in that cylinder to this point. Now, having 43k miles of wear, that seal is beginning to fail, lose compression and allow blowback.

They have to pull the entire engine and replace the cylinder. It is covered under the powertrain warranty, but needless to say, I am both surprised and a bit perturbed. If they knew my car was among a list of potential vehicles with this flaw from the factory, why on earth was I not contacted? How is this a "Service Bulletin" and not a full out recall? Were they just hoping the problem would not manifest itself at all and they would get lucky in not having to fix it? Were they hoping maybe my powertrain warranty would expire before the problem showed up so it would be on my dime? A sudden / unexpected loss of power, rough running engine and blowback seems to me to qualify as a serious safety issue.

I have to go to the dealership to pick up a loaner vehicle, which I will be driving for the better part of a week, at least. I will definitely be asking them these same questions. I have been a very satisfied owner up to this point, but this worries and disappoints me.

I'll update as I know more.

David
    Good morning David,

I understand why you are worried, and am truly very sorry that this potential factory flaw was not brought to your attention. If we can look into this further with you, please send the following information to socialmedia@gm.com and we will get a Service Request going on your behalf:
    Your name/Edmunds username
    Phone and address
    The last 8 of your VIN and current mileage
    The name of your involved dealership

Kind regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Well, the saga continues. Last Friday I was told they would be replacing the pistons and re-milling the head. Basically a tear-down and re-build. OK. Whatever it takes.

Garage day 6: They have now discovered a scored cylinder wall in the same cylinder (cylinder #1) that started the whole thing. They can't say when it occurred (pre-repair, or post repair,) but because GM does not recommend re-boring the cylinders, they have a ordered a brand spanking new engine. Looks like another full week, at least.

Honestly, I really can't complain so far about the dealer (Voss Chevy in Centerville, OH). It appears as if they are doing things right in terms of implementing the best possible fix. The inconvenience of being without my car is not a big deal, but I can't say I am overly enamored of the Malibu they loaned me.

Would it be nice if GM had avoided the problem altogether by using better quality control when the engine was originally built? Yep. But that opportunity was missed, and now we are where we are. GM and the other American companies had finally started re-building their reputation versus the Japanese manufacturers in terms of quality, but it looks like they still have a way to go.

I don't know if it is sheer coincidence or not, but literally just yesterday I received in the mail, a notice of a class action lawsuit against GM surrounding the 2010-2011 Equinox. I'll definitely hold off on joining until we see how my situation turns out.

David
  • nohappyequinoxnohappyequinox Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2010 Equinox LT as well and I have already had the timing chain replaced, the valves cleaned and a timing ? sensor replaced, then 3 months later all the valves had to be replaced and now once again it's back in the shop and they tell me the secondary timing chain has to be replaced.....only 47,000 miles on it and the engine has already been taken apart and put back together like 4 times.....not a happy camper!!!
  • nohappyequinoxnohappyequinox Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 2010 Chevy Equinox in December of 2009. The week I bought it the steering column locked up and could not remove my key, so the whole steering column had to be replaced. Fast forward to December 2011, engine starts running roughly and missing on start ups, take it in to the dealer and the timing chain is bad. (Due to a bad design states the dealership) They replace the timing chain. Car continues to make these noises and after taking it back in for service multiple times, there is some sort of timing sensor bad and the whole head has to been taken off to replace it. Fast forward to a month ago and it starts making a worse noise, take it to the dealer and ALL of the valves on this damn thing are bad. 47,000 miles.....CRAZY!!! So they replace the valves, had to take it back again for the same noise two weeks ago. Something had to be adjusted. Took it back this week and now the secondary timing chain has to be replaced. GM really needs to fix this. Like I want to keep paying for a car that obviously is a lemon. The engine has been taken apart so many times, I don't want this thing anymore. I definitely am not keeping it until the warranty runs out, I'll have to keep paying the same amount as my car payment in repairs.......NOT A SATISFIED GM CUSTOMER. Even if they have paid for the repairs under the warranty, it should never have been this big of an issue to begin with.
    nothappyequinox,
    I'm very sorry to read about the multiple repairs that have had to be performed on your 2010 Equinox, and that it is back in the shop now. If you would like for us to look into this further, please send the following information to socialmedia@gm.com: your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership along with any visit information (date, amount paid, etc) you can recall.
    Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • 2011blackeq2011blackeq Member Posts: 2
    What I find funny about many of the posts is that things are being taken care of under warranty yet people are upset. If it were a Honda or Toyota, these same people would be praising them for taking care of it and not costing the owner(themselves) any money.
    For those that don't like the way it drives or how the trans works, why in all that is holy did you buy it? It isn't a full size truck(powertrain is not the same) and it isn't a malibu. If you liked how the Malibu drives, buy it.
    For those asking why it is a bulletin and not a recall? It doesn't meet the requirements and they are taking care of the issues as they arise. They are not ignoring it. I do agree that if they know of a part that is not correct, it should be repaired after they find out and not only after it causes an issue. BTW....all car companies do this, not just evil GM.
    Yes, I own a 2011 Equinox.
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    The Honda or Toyota is not stalling in traffic. The Honda or Toyota does not need an engine rebuild at low mileage (i.e. cam actuators, etc.). The Honda or Toyota is not using a quart of oil every 1,000 miles. It's all in the seriousness of the warranty claims. The issues afflicting the Equinox are far more serious.
  • roykulproykulp Member Posts: 52
    I have over 45.000 miles on my 2010 4Cyl. Nox at this time and no real issues to date; any concerns / issues have always been resolved at the dealer level..NOT BRAND BASHING AND CRYING Too THE INTERNET! Let The Dealer resolve vehical matters under 100K Warranty or Lemon Law Your Vehical and Move On Forward. I have never had a vehical owned that was FREE of some issues / quirks including a great lexus I own! The Prefect Man Made Products are a Dream and NOT REALITY!
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    Taking your vehicle in for a warranty claims should not be on a regular basis. If one has to go back to the dealer many times to resolve a single issue or has to bring the vehicle in for many issues, then the vehicle is problematic. It's that simple. I have owned GM and Chrysler vehicles bought brand new and have never had the number of claims that I have seen on this board. My last new vehicle purchase was a 2006 Dodge Caravan. I owned the vehicle for 5 years and 80k miles. Reality is I had ZERO warranty claims. I have bought brand new a Sunfire, Corsica, Saturn, and Celebrity; all GM vehicles and the sum of the warranty claims for all these vehicles combined doesnt't equal the claims some owners have posted on this board for their Equinox. Reality is the number of complaints for the 2010, 2011, and now the 2012 Equinox indicates this vehicle has major issues.
    I would assume that most all new cars have some sort of warranty issues especially first year models. There are alot of claims on this site with people having genuine issues.I would be upset also . Not to lessen any one`s problems there are 1348 posts in this forum. Some have posted 20 or 30 times. I myself have posted 4. If everyone averages 10 posts that would be 134 cars. Sounds like alot until you realize the thousands of these cars that have been sold. If you look at other manufacturers products you can see oil consumptions issues with the 2007- 2009 Toyota Rav 4. There are still issues with Toyota cars revving up. True delta shows 1 lemon for every 100 cars on the 2010 Equinox. Less than1 on the 2011. Better than some of their competitors. Although most foreign makes fair better after the first year. I am sure someone is going to get a lemon . I feel for you who do. Mine has been in for a power window motor and a buzzing speaker. I like mine and would recommend the car.
  • dspen1973dspen1973 Member Posts: 5
    I am glad to hear that I am not the only one having these type of problems. I have already replaced the exhaust valves and the air bags replaced. The dealer that replaced the valves yelled at me because I follow the oil life instead of changing it every 3000 miles. They also told me that that voided the power train warranty. I explained that it looses about a quart of oil every 2 weeks and i have no idea why. All he would say is that because the oil was low it would void the warranty. It stalls a random times, sounds like the engine is going to shake apart when you start it. The kicker is last night on the way home from work the car started to overheat, so i tried to turn the heat on to cool the engine and the ac turned on. The funny thing is the ac has worked since last year. It took me 6 hours to get home from work. I bought this car because my 2005 equinox ran like a tank and still does. Really beginning to regret buying this one. I would expect these kind of problems at 175, 000 not 75, 000 miles.
    Hello dspen1973,
    I can understand how this situation with your Equinox losing oil would be frustrating. While the vehicle does have the Oil Life System (OLS) that can calculate the longevity of the oil, it is important to continue checking the oil level as the OLS does not monitor this.
    If we can look into this further with you and your dealership, please send the following information to socialmedia@gm.com: your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership as well as any details (date/dates, money paid, etc) you can provide about any recent visits to your dealership for this issue.
    All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • dspen1973dspen1973 Member Posts: 5
    Sarah,
    I will send you the information when it get back from the shop.