Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Chevy Equinox Problems

Comments

• 58mga58mga Member Posts: 8
    Hey Great news fellow nox owners...After 2 engine rebuilds and a misfire no one can find fault... The Transmission blew up today!!! Of course this now lies upon my shoulders as the warranty is expired yada yada yada.....Anybody want to buy a parts vehicle for about 17K????
  • kzk8brownkzk8brown Member Posts: 12
    Wow that is Scary!
  • roykulproykulp Member Posts: 52
    I find this difficult to buy into; the drive line has 100K coverage and if its not repaired I would "think" GM would replace the engine Trans Etc. or replace the entire vehical! You should Scan your dealers service history report and share it with everone on the forum to help confirm this drive line issues!

I'm approching 50K on my 2010 4Cyl LT Nox; have only changed oil and trans fluid; motor oil on dealer scheduled 3500mi plan and still rolling strong with no issues YET; Glad I have 50K of Drive line warranty Left when reading these GM horror Forums!
  • 58mga58mga Member Posts: 8
    UPDATE; Dealer called and says that they will cover half of the transmission repair under Warranty. Work starting next week, will post the outcome. Lead Mechanic thinks misfire could be due to the transmission.
    ROYKULP....I Will not be sharing any documents!!!!!!! and yes you would "think" GM would do the right thing and replace with new IE: Engine or Transmission rather than REBUILD, however that is common sense and I believe GM has none of that. I have suggested a buy back however GM is only concerned on PROFIT!!!!! and not customer satisfaction. If you feel this is bashing.....well I am only telling my experience of one very expensive LEMON!!!!

To be continued..........
  • esperinosesperinos Member Posts: 18
    One of the issues not considered here is the role being played by the "oil life remaining" feature. There has always been the mindset of changing oil on a regular schedule, and the feature on this (and other vehicles of all makes) is - in my mind - indirectly contributing to some problems. An indicator which serves as a reminder based on mileage is one thing. When you advertise or market a feature as saving you money by indicating an oil change only when you need it (this was right on one of the OnStar emails - ways of saving on maintenance costs) may be unwittingly giving drivers a false sense of security. You can bet that I'm not waiting until the car tells me to change the oil in our remaining 2010 Equinox. It's on a schedule.

I go back to an earlier posting I made. I feel there are a batch of engines which had a design or manufacturing flaw in the 2010 model, and that "rebuilding" is, at best, a temporizing measure. It's like the heart, you can only operate in it so much. At some point you need a transplant. I'm glad, right now, that I have only one Equinox to worry about - not two.
  • nailsgirlnailsgirl Member Posts: 13
    GM replaced my engine! No questions asked! They must know there is a problem. Had a rental for over 3 weeks. Nox seems to be okay except my gas mileage went from 32 mpg to 27! Nice to have a vehicle with no ticking and pinging!
  • roykulproykulp Member Posts: 52
    Interesting; the service history report would tell a story on how you maintained and cared for the vehical since purchased. This could play a significant roll in collecting on a manufactures warranty. This is more than likley why you are paying a percent of damages! Its just that Simple!
  • wlmerrilwlmerril Member Posts: 1
    I have 48,000 miles on my 2010 4 cyl 1 LT equinox, with very few minor issues with the car so far. Until late last week my engine began to sound alot louder but still seemed to run ok. On the way to our cabin for memorial day the car stalled out twice when getting off the highway and then stalled three times on the way home and then on the way to dealership hit a traffic jam and stalled 3 more times. Always seems to stall out when idiling for a long period or when you are traveling at faster speeds and have to stop rapidly.

I was stalled out at the toll on the mackinaw bridge during a traffic jam on memorial day, talk about pissed off. I'm hoping this issue will be resolved under my 100,000 mile power train warranty, but after reading some similar issues with timing chains, debating on getting a new vehicle all together. :confuse:
  • raabraab Member Posts: 9
    Hi,
    Right now, the news is not good because, more than a year later, 6 service visits, and opening and re-opening a case with GM customer service, the same problem persists. I was always politely assured after each service visit that the problem was solved. The problem ALWAYS comes back-loud engine, stalling, and engine light coming on. It is very embarassing to me when co-workers tell me it is time to bring the car back, because they can HEAR the problem. Last Friday, I had a hard drive back home, stalling frequently on a very busy road. I kept pulling off the road to get out of the way of traffic. I brought it back for service, they fixed the part that had set off the engine code and proceeded to charge me for another oil change (I think this is the 3rd or 4th one since January) - the oil was at 70% this morning (at the previous March service visit when another oil change was charged, I had just paid for an oil change the week before). But no one wants to acknowlege this recurrent, repetitive issue (not the service dept and not you-know-who). UNLESS I would rather not drive this car (or as a customer service rep advised, I could buy another car). My sister offered her 10 year old Saturn to drive, I think I may take her up on it, though it is a bright purpley-blue, but, hey, it runs fine, and I don't have to worry about being rear-ended. End of disheartened rant.
    Just wondering if anyone has had a positive outcome from opening a case with Customer Service. Or the BBB.
  • chaddeechaddee Member Posts: 1
    Ok, so I'm glad I found this site, I'm having the issues with the 2010 Chevy Equinox LT. Stabili Track issue, check engine light comes on for about a day and half, goes off for a day and half and then comes back on again. It ticks (it has since I got it), they said it was a cold start. So I drove it last August back to the dealership, it was 90 degrees out and drove it for an hour to get there, got out of my truck and said "Cold start huh?" That was my 7 and final trip there when their "fix" was to put an engine insulator under the hood! Now all this stuff is coming up with it and I'm worried! I'm calling tomorrow and hopefully they will take care of it, but I'm assuming they will not!
    edited May 2012
    Why so mad after 6 trips to the same service department for the same problem? I mentioned earlier that the dealership insisted on changing the oil today (at my expense). I told them the level was at 70 %. They said that is not accurate. The paper they gave me after changing the oil stated that the dipstick was low. My husband told me he checked 2 days ago (Sunday) and that was absolutely not the case. He knows cars! The service rep told me to bring the car back in another 500-1000 miles to do an oil consumption test (he said the engine may need to be replaced). When I paid for the oil change/air filter, the bill was $158 (with a $20 discount)-why so high? Service rep said I also approved a fuel injection treatment as well (NOT TRUE-the paper I signed had his recommendations hand-written initials). My husband is ballistic over this-why would this be done if a new engine is anticipated at the next visit?
    I am so sick of paying out of pocket at each of these warranty-covered engine service visits. (January visit-car was returned with a cracked windshield after they accidentally let someone drive away in my car-I replaced and paid $100 deductible, at 2nd of 2 March visits, they offered to fix a suspension problem that I did not have when I dropped the car off for $135 (BTW, the 1st and 2nd March visits were on consecutive days because the engine light came back the same day as the 1st visit, so I brought it back the next day and they kept it for the rest of the week-hence, the new suspension problem).
    I don't like worrying about being rear-ended, especially with a kid in the car. I also drive all over the state for work. I love what I do and I need reliable service.
    We had the case re-opened when the engine light came back on and I had multiple stalls on a trip home from work (3.5 hour drive). Made the service appt for this morning and crossed our fingers. Came home this afternoon absolutely devastated that in addition to no resolution to our car problem, the dealership has found a way to charge me additional fees. Let's say it together: "engine problem". There, was that so hard? Now let's do something!
    I still have pride in GM, I want to believe in their product, their customer service...
  • rvm819rvm819 Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2010 Equinox DI 4-cylinder with 78k miles. The car ran great until it start pinging at 73k miles. I took it to the dealer after the check engine light came on, and the diagnotics showed low fuel pressure. So, they replaced the fuel pump; and the car does run much better, expecially acceleration. However, the ping has reduced it's severity; but it's still there. Premium gas does help, but I don't want to continue paying the fuel premium. In another blog concerning spark knock, I did find mention of ECM calibration PI0325. Did you have this done?
  • tcsealtcseal Member Posts: 1
    I took my 2010 Chevrolet Equinox to the dealership where I bought it because of oil consumption issues and GM replaced the engine. On the invoice, it referred to an internal memo noting that the rings were put in wrong from the factory. So, if you are having oil consumption issues, do not let some ignorant know it all on this site tell you that you do not know what you are talking about! Do not listen to those who claim you must not have changed the oil often enough. The truth is that GM knows there are issues with some of the engines from the factory.
  • foster904foster904 Member Posts: 9
    I own a 2010 Equinox and it ran fine until around 50+K. It developed a chattering noise so I took it back to the dealer and they changed the timing chain tensioner. They returned the car and said everything was fixed. When I drove it the chatter was still there so they replaced the balancer on the timing chain shaft ( or something like that). They gave me back the car and the chatter remained. I took it back to them and drove around with the Shop Manager and mechanic and they heard the chatter but couldn't tell me what it was so they took the car back and said they would fix it. I just got the car back yesterday and the SR said they found the AC Compressor was torqued properly. Guess what, the chatter is still there, no change. Guess I will call the SR again and see what he says.
  • hsports94hsports94 Member Posts: 4
    Check the oil level. Vehicle ticks when oil is low
  • smc8888smc8888 Member Posts: 25
    Could you provide more information regarding the "internal memo nothing that the rings were put in wrong"? A lot people, including myself, have this oil consumption problem and we need some concrete evidence to talk to the dealer.

Thanks
    edited June 2012
    I took my Equinox into the dealer this morning for the 4th time...yesterday morning I rode around with the shop foreman while he listened to the chatter. He was going to get a couple of mechanics to look at it and see if they could figure it out. The guys at Enterprise are getting to know me on a first name basis :) I do have to say that the dealership has been very accommodating but I really need a repaired car.
  • dgjaureguidgjauregui Member Posts: 5
    Been a while since I was here. Car now at 68k. Same problems with noise and rattle and idle as all along. Finally got ac and headliner fixed. Today it finally overheated. Spent another couple of wasted hours and missed work dealing with tow truck, dealer and rental cars. No news yet as to issue, but imagine it will be engine oil issues based on things read here. Hate this vehicle and nothing but problems for 2.5 years.

Looking tonight online at used Fords and plan to go back to different manufacturer ASAP. This is my first and last Chevy.
    I feel your pain. My engine seems to have given out today after no one has ever been able to diagnose and fix my problems from the early beginnings in 2010. Out of warranty here, too, of course. Waiting to hear from dealer tomorrow, but thinking I will have scraps to sell as well.
    My 2010 Equinox with the 2.4 Ecotech engine was fine for the first 70k miles. Since then it's been all down hill. It started pinging about six months ago and since then I've had a belt and idler pulley replaced and a new fuel pump. Now this week I took in in for what I thought was a computer upgrade to remove the spark knock, and now they tell me it needs a new timing chain. I'm now at 78k miles and like you ready to trade for a Ford. I thought GM had improved quality, but the Ecotech engine is not an improvement!
    I got a call from the service agent this morning. Nothing came up in my diagnostic and the tech drove it for almost 15 minutes and nothing happened. I was told it was a "very happy car".

Funny, it's not happy when I drive it! Yesterday it was so unhappy, I sat on the side of the road with the engine shut down to idle (by the car) cause it was overheating.

Hate my Chevy.
  • eugene11eugene11 Member Posts: 8
    Perhaps you need to take a copy of a few pages of this forum to educate your dealer on similiar Engine issues with 2010 Equinox, their personal dealer experience may not have dealt with the issue before. JMHO
  • jpol4jpol4 Member Posts: 3
    This is a follow-up to my earlier posting #1245. I took my equinox to a 3rd dealership who immediately recognized that it didn't sound right. They replaced the high pressure fuel pump and "the timing chain tensioner with pump chain and tensioner" (per work order). They had my car for 4 days and it now sounds like a new car. All was covered under warranty. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but for now...hooray for Champion Chevrolet! My best advice, if you can, keep going to different dealerships until you find one that will listen to your concerns. I hope this information can help someone else who may be going through a similar problem with their car.
    Okay, so the dealership changed out the pistons and returned our Nox, but it will be going back because it still has the chatter.
    I am also following up on a previous message #1365. After my timing chains were replaced last week, the spark knock problem has been corrected...finally! The engine is also much quieter and it runs like new again at 78k miles. I took several pages of this forum to my dealer, so it does help to guide the dealer toward a solution!
  • andyusmc1andyusmc1 Member Posts: 4
    We have had a continuous problem since about 20k miles. Bought it new. Had a ticking in the engine back then. It was the timing chain they replaced it. Happened again another timing chain related problem, again fixed.Happened again in Fl on vacation. dealer says nothing wrong.They said we were low on oil, of course no message on the dash and we were within 1000 miles of our next oil change due per our sticker.And we change oil every 3k not 5k.They changed the oil we drove home knocking got worse. Took it back to dealer, they fixed it again. Well now at 63k miles again knocking ,had oil change two days ago,service person says tailpipe is black your burning oil,had 300 miles to go before oil change was due,the dash display read 69% oil life left. Taking it in today after reading all these posts I am scared that I dont have an extended warrantee just the 100000k powertrain . Will let you know.Wish me luck
    I only get 21. mpg whether I travel long distance or local. maybe 22 30.1 is excellant. I think something is wrong with my 2010 nox.
  • mzambrzuskimzambrzuski Member Posts: 1
    Today my 2010 Equinox shut off when driving. Tach and speedo went to 0 and power steering was gone. Took me a minute to realize the car had actually fully shut down when it was running good earlier. I was slowing to a stop at a stoplight, wanted to get into the right lane and accelerated to make the lane change. The transmission bucked hard and I assume that is when the engine died, I didn't realize for a few seconds since I was coasting a stop and didn't need gas or steering. When I tried to straighten up in the lane is when I realized the power steering was gone and then noticed the car was off. The car started up just fine after that, but obviously this isn't a good thing to be happening.

I've done a little research and found that the PCM on the '06 Equinox has been faulty on numerous occasions and there are forum posts for this exact issue, only on the '06 model. This makes me inclined to think it may be the PCM on my '10, but I'd like to get some feedback from other 2010 owners that have had this problem before I take it to the dealership to get the PCM replaced.

If you've had this problem or have any information to share on the subject I would very much appreciate it.
  • dcinohiodcinohio Member Posts: 4
    I have had this same issue and speaker replaced and I still have the noise...I also notice this more when it is hot toward the end of the day. It is very annoying and drives me nuts. I have owned my Nox two years and have had the fuel pump replaced twice and the timing unit replaced and now this....I am beginning to wonder if I have a lemon. I will have the insulation checked and see if this helps...lets keep our fingers crossed. I travel a lot and the radio is a must....thanks.
  • kynoxkynox Member Posts: 18
    I have not had an issue with the speaker since they insulated the door skin. We traveled to the Smokies a couple of weeks ago and I averaged 31mpg. Driving some of the back roads I believed I picked up the faint noise of some spark knock at about 1700rpm and 15 mph under load going up a steep hill.Probably wouldn`t have heard it but we had the windows down. Will take to dealer. I believe there is a tech bulletin out on this issue. Have not had any other problems . Now have 27000 miles on car.
    I have also had the same issues...at first the dealership told me that it was normal for this vehicle. I was not happy. Took it to another business to get my oil changed and they refused to change my oil...that there was something wrong with the engine...that the noise was not normal. I took it to another dealership...White Allen in Dayton Ohio. They recognized the sound immediately changed out the timing unit and this resolved the issues. I had already had the fuel pump replaced twice before. I get decent gas mileage on my Nox...usually around 32 -33 mph on highway. I travel for work so I am constantly monitoring my mileage.
  • nailsgirlnailsgirl Member Posts: 13
    My engine replaced too. Now my gas milage went from 32 mpg to 25 with the new engine. Now what?">link title
  • nox77nox77 Member Posts: 12
    I had that happen twice. Dealership thought it was the PCM, then replaced a gear, then the timing chain...this went on for a year, everything being under warranty. I eventually got a new engine from GM when I had 67,000 on it. I had it back in just days, and all is good.
  • nox77nox77 Member Posts: 12
    Ask your dealer to consult with a GM technician. Mine did, and I got a new engine at 67K. I have 71K now and no problems. A friend of mine did too. Not only did she get a new engine, the dealer bought back the car and gave her the same terms on a new Nox, but she got a 6 cylinder this time. Smart woman.
    Ok when we checked out the insulation...it was about every 8 inches on the door skin. Went ahead and had it filled in with insulation to see if this resolves the issue. Keeping our fingers crossed. I will let you know how it goes. Fyi...I have over 66000 miles on my Nox.
  • jlg44jlg44 Member Posts: 12
    I have a 2010 4 cycl Equinox and at first my wife loved it . Now with 24m mile on it it stays in the shop. My latest problem is oil comsumption . I also think it was from when it had a fuel leak that went into the crank case. I am using over 1.5 quarts per 2000 miles. Dealer said they hadn't hear of this but I know they have. Can anyone tell me if there is any chevy bulletin out there that I can show them. Also car makes a treible noise if you go ver any bumps.
    I too would like any and all bulletins issued by chevy concerning the oil consumption. My repair guy is doing the oil consumption test now on my 4 cylinder 2010 nox and so far has burned 1 quart per 1000. miles. He also claims there is no bulletin. Hard to believe as this looks like a stantard complaint. In addition, some one posted that they have recieved a Class action suit notification concerning the 2010-2011 nox. Would that person or anyone esle forward information?
  • garypriceomahagarypriceomaha Member Posts: 11
    I had to have an oil consumption test done as well. I was burning/using 1 quart every 1000 miles as well. Several times I took car in for oil change and there was no oil on dipstick! and that was only after 5000 miles. Dealer told me it's standard that it burns that much oil in between oil changes. I don't think so!
  • teenwolfteenwolf Member Posts: 1
    I had the same issue. My 2010 equinox has 47000 miles on it and it had a rattling noise coming from the engine. We made the appointment to have it looked at but it overheated on the interstate before we were able to get it to the dealership. Once the engine was looked over, it was determined that it was a blown head gasket. So far this car has had a faulty airbag, a recall on the washer fluid heater, and now a blown head gasket. :sick:
  • rocketentrocketent Member Posts: 60
    I really don't know what's going on with the oil in my Nox. First change, free by dealer, oil was full before drained. Second oil change, by local mechanic, also full before drained. Two thousand miles later, I'm down 2 quarts, so I take it back to local mechanic, who adds two quarts. I take it to dealer who runs a consumption test and finds no problems and changes the oil again and asks me to drive for 1000 miles and bring it back if the oil is down. He also shows me on the GM computer, where it states that 1 quart every 2000 mi is acceptable. So I've driven over 1000 miles and my oil is full. Both the dealer and local mechanic use the same grade dino oil, but when the dealer fills it, there's no burning. Weird!!
  • smc8888smc8888 Member Posts: 25
    Next time when the dealer changes oil, take a measurement immediately before driving off the dealership. I suspect (no prove) that they overfilled the engine to compensate possible loss.
    Latest update on the static/buzzing noise in the speaker...once we fixed the insulation this resolved the issue. I admit I was a skeptic but it was worth trying since nothing else worked. Thank you Kynox!!!
  • kynoxkynox Member Posts: 18
    Glad it worked. I have had no further trouble with the speaker.
  • 2010greynox2010greynox Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2010 equinox and the one major issue I had was my trans went out at 42k miles. Granted I am EXTREMELY hard on my car...I put roughly 35-40k on a car a year (I bought this car in April of 2011 with 10k miles on it, I now have 53k as of today). Previous to my nox I owned a 2002 Chevy Blazer and let me tell you that truck was a CHAMP. I don't have the oil consumption issues I mainly see complaints about, though I do have the speaker rattling issue I've seen posts about. Every vehicle has its issues....the Toyota with the sticking gas pedal, the Dodge with the transfer case problems, Chryslers tend to have electrical issues, Ford is just plain all around terrible; every brand has its quirks. Chevy is a solid brand. I'm sorry you're having so many problems. If your nox is really a lemon, try a Traverse :D
  • jpol4jpol4 Member Posts: 3
    I went through the same issue with my oil. All the dealership wanted to do about it was the oil consumption test...did it and it showed nothing was wrong. I took my car to an independent oil changing shop who said there was no oil on the dip stick. However, when then drained the oil...it was almost full. They couldn't explain why the oil wasn't on the dip stick.
  • rocketentrocketent Member Posts: 60
    I checked the oil at the dealer and everyday for 1000 miles, looking for some reason to take it back to the dealer, but it's still full.
    Called the dealership and they replaced the pistons, still had the same chatter. Called them again and spoke with the Service VP. He said they pressed the issue with GM and GM said to replace the engine. A brand new engine was installed and now sounds great. Although it was a pain in the rear to have to keep taking my car in to the shop, the dealership was always professional and friendly. If anyone cares, the dealership is Nimnect Chevrolet in Jacksonville Fl.

The only recommendation I can make to anyone else that is having issues, if your dealership won't help you, find one that will.
  • jlg44jlg44 Member Posts: 12
    I checked my dip stick after I got home and let the car sit for an hour. The oil level was pass the full mark. So I called back and told tech . I have noticed that you have to let the car set for awhile to get a true reading on the oil level.
  • bradley2bradley2 Member Posts: 11
    Sorry to say but after attempting to be a patriot & GM/Chevy man with strong multi-generational family ties to the company this Chevy Cruze recall for stupid under-carriage fire hazard is the last straw that broke this camel's back. In addition to that my Cruze (2011 LT) had bad hood paint job/crease out the gate, lousy fit & finish and additional recalls/service advisories including a failed thermostat, etc. and a wicked rattle from driver side pillar among other things. Also my 2010 Chev Equinox had multiple problems with less than 50k miles including a passenger rear window motor failure, a lumbar driver seat automatic motor failure, rattles galore, speakers that hum and moan, and more. That on top of prior Malibu gasket failures and yada yada yada have given me no choice. Bye bye GM, have a nice life. PS the dealers were great but the design, engineeering and manufacturing flaws doom them too, I fear and no marketing gimics can overcome that. I am a patriot and a loyalist, but I am not stupid. Watch for my next posting about a FORD or heaven forbid, an import. PS my 2006 KIA Spectra 5 now "owned" by my daughter with 150k+ miles and no coin invested other than brakes, tires, oil changes and timing belt runs like a top. Go figure.