Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Chevy Equinox Problems

Comments

• parrothead2000parrothead2000 Member Posts: 1
    Your post now has me worried when I was loving life just yesterday. Wife has 2010 Equinox with Ecotech 4 engine. I rarely ever drive her car but we took it on a family trip in August and she drove about 300 miles to our destination and then I took the car into town to pick up some provisions. I noticed the car almost stalled when I slowed down for stop lights, etc. She hadn't noticed any issues but when she was driving she was cruising along at 75 MPH with the radio blaring and everything seemed fine. I limped it into a service station and checked under the hood. Almost didn't even consider checking the oil...was looking for some other problem since oil was just changed about 1500 miles previous. I check it anyway and dipstick is dry. I add 3 quarts and it come up to correct level. I think "hmmmm...that's weird. No oil on ground where she parks and really no burning oil smell while driving....where the hell did it go?" We complete our trip and I don't think anything more of it. Wife goes last week to have oil changed (3000 miles since last oil change and only 1500 miles since I added 3 new quarts) and technician says oil is 2.5 quarts low. So, the internet search begins to find out what the hell is going on with this engine. By the way, vehicle has 24,000 miles. So I come across this thread and several other sites talking about the oil consumption issues with the 2010 engine. I print the tech bulletin and call my local dealership expecting that they will want to put me through an extended oil consumption test song and dance. Instead, head mechanic comes out and looks at engine and listens to my story and says " we are supposed to do the oil consumption test but I already know what your problem is based on what you told me. Let me tear your engine down and see if there is zebra striping in the cylinders. If so, you need a new engine. Plain and simple. It's a known problem and I have replaced 5 of these engines already. There's no reason to put you through that oil consumption test and make you come back here 5 times every 500 miles just so we can check your oil when I already know what's going on here." This guy is my hero. Straight and to the point and wants to just dig into the problem today. He says "get your stuff out of the car and we'll hook you up with a loaner and I will need to keep this for probably a week." So, he calls 2 days later and says we will be getting a new engine from GM. Severe zebra striping in cylinder heads and engine replacement is only option. So, I'm thinking how lucky I am that we found a mechanic that had actually seen the problem before and knew what to do and feeling very fortunate that we are still in warranty and this new engine will solve all our problems and it isn't going to cost us anything out of pocket. So, yeah...it's too bad and it's inconvenient but it's being handled and I'm respecting GM for stepping up and handling it. THEN, I read your post and you went through the same thing and you got a new engine too and now your new engine has all kinds of issues with it? Come on....really? I just went from happy to nervous.
  • erinmarie94523erinmarie94523 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you but GM just replaced my car last week.
  • foster904foster904 Member Posts: 9
    I don't know if I would be to worried yet, the new engine may solve your issues. I truley think that our car was built on a monday :) and it had other issues. However I happy to say tht my dealership and GM stepped up and helped me get out of it without losing a single dime. Hopefully you will have the same experience.
  • gjdeweygjdewey Member Posts: 8
    Thank you so much for taking the time to look up the service bulletin! I'm back home in PA and plan to stop into my dealership to discuss everything that has happened. This bulletin will be very helpful. I'll share progress.....thanks again!
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    parrothead2000,

We're glad that your dealership is taking such great care of you in this situation and are very hopeful that the new engine will resolve the oil problems you've been having in your Equinox. Please keep in touch with your dealership (and with us as well) on how everything is running once the engine replacement is complete. We're available to check into this further if you have any continued issues.

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • jbh0jbh0 Member Posts: 1
    Over the last couple of months our engine light has come on, and stayed on, until we buy higher octane gas. Then it stays off until we try regular again - except some regular is OK. We have 47,000 miles and this is our first problem. We have one of the earliest 2010s, delivered in July 2009. Car started idling rough, so we took it to the dealer, who says they have not been able to diagnose the problem after two days of trying. Our engine is the 4 cylinder, we generally get two MPG less than the indicated 24 to 32 MPG, and we have had no oil issues. Sound familiar to anyone?
    jbh0,

If you would like for us to follow up on this with your dealership, please send us an email at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your dealership).

• micmufmanmicmufman Member Posts: 2
    My problem is slightly different than yours but may be associated. I have an early 2010 6cyl bought in 2009, I have 94K on it. LOVE my car. I was low on money and ran out of gas before getting to the gas station. Once I put gas in the tank (3gals), it still wouldn't start. Had it towed to my mechanic, he tried everything including a compression test as the computer showed it wasn't firing on 2 cyl. I had it towed to my local Chevy dealer. They did get it started (oiled up the 2cyl, fired right up) but my check engine light was on, after further investigation it was discovered that my fuel pump assembly (3 piece system) inside the gas tank was shot. This is covered under my extended warranty that I bought so the part and labor will be covered but, not the discovery labor $600. This fix will be done this week. Hope this helps. Mike B.
    Good morning micmufman,

We're glad to hear that you all have found the source of the no-start concern on your Equinox. Keep us posted on how the fix goes, and we're available to check into anything further for you if need be.

• gpf2gpf2 Member Posts: 1
    Just got a call from my dealer saying that after one year they were able to find the problem with my oil consumption problems, I took my car over to the dealer more than 6 times plus all the oil changes and blabla blalbla, now they are saying that they have to keep my car for about 2-3 weeks to replace the engine, I had to fight for them to give me a rental without charging, I already had so much problems with the car, that I am so worry that once they replace the engine things will get worse,, I spoke with my lawyer and she will get all the info together so we can start the file to get a new car,,, let’s see if Chevy will do something about,,,
    by the way the people from the dealer are sooooooooo rude.....(every time that I went there the guy would say,, "its you again"!!!!!)..
    :confuse:
  • llamitiellamitie Member Posts: 13
    I too am putting my paperwork together. I am scared even through I have a new engine - my transmission is next. Car still doesn't run great....the engine isnt the only thing I have had problems with. Perhaps the Attorney General needs to know how many people need new engines and how many haven't gotten one yet as the time on their warranties tick tick away....
    Good afternoon gpf2,

I see that you are seeking legal counsel on this matter already, and so I cannot offer to look into the situation further through Customer Service. If and when your lawyer proceeds with this, they will be put in touch with the correct department within GM . We're sorry to hear that it has come to this point; if you decide against working with a lawyer and want for us to check into this further to see if we can do anything from a Customer Service standpoint, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com with more information (include your name and contact information, a summary of the situation, the last 8 of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your dealership).

• els2810els2810 Member Posts: 1
    I too am having problems with my 2010 Nox - The check engine lights comes on and stays on, there is a terribly loud rattling sound coming from the engine. Several months ago, I took it the Chevy dealer to have them analyze the problem. I was called soon after saying that it was because I needed an oil change, the light was off for several hours, came back on and went off, and now it's on again! I drove about 300 miles, to another state and right while I was in traffic, the car just turned off. Luckily I was right where I could turn onto a side road, tried crank it up, put it in gear and it cut off again, tried a 2nd time and got on my way. It turned off again in less than 3 minutes. I cut my visit to a couple hours and took a chance driving it back, in the night (foolish me) but I did make it home. I had read months ago how others were having the same problem and told them at the dealer but to no avail. I'm going make an appointment to take it in this weekend and have them look at it again. The last time they told me that there was a 3 weeks wait and I'd have to leave my car there for that length of time, I do not have another vehicle I can use to go to work in that time. Quick suggestions, referrals as to what I can tell, or take them to direct them to the most likely possible causes!
    Good morning els2810,

If you would like for us to stay with you through the process of working with your dealership to resolve the issues you're encountering with your Equinox, we're available to you. Please contact us via email at socialmedia@gm.com with more details (include your name and contact information, a summary of the situation, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your dealership).

• kendraj35kendraj35 Member Posts: 2
    @ - els2810

I have a 2010 V6 Equinox and about 2 months ago my check engine light would come on and off. When I brought my car in to get it looked at they mentioned that it was just low on oil and too said it just needed an oil change. The light then turned off however when I came to pick it up and drive away I noticed that the light came back on. I went in right away to tell them of the issue and they scheduled me for a time to come back the next week (since they were booked up the remainder of the weekend). When I brought it back they ended up replacing the timing chain. They had me come back after 500 miles to check the oil level and it was fine.

I also had problems at the same time with my air bag light which was not covered under warranty (@52,000 miles) it was determined that the wire was fretting so they also fixed that. Then about 2 months later the light came back on so I had to go back in to pull the code. As it was the same code as before the dealership replaced the part for free since they did not resolve the issue correctly the first time and provided me with a rental car. While having my car in I wanted them to check on the oil level to make sure things were ok since replacing the timing chain and they mentioned it looked fine.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that I do not have any more issues... I have considered getting rid of it before the warranty expires and I am faced bill.
  • alanmanusalanmanus Member Posts: 1
    After driving around for three days with virtually no oil, i managed to figure out what was cuasing the high pitch noise. I was 3-4 quarts low on oil. No warning lights went on and my oil consumption on the computer said I had 35% left.. Now I go to my dealership and they are in the midst oh doing an oil consumption test. they have told me aboutthe problem with this engine and have inspected the spark plugs and have checked for blow back... What I feel is very disingenuous is that they say that is normal for this engine to burn 1 quart of oil every 2000 miles. I was never told this and certainly the computer does not show this... It appears that chevy came to this conclusion late in the game... Any comments
  • smc8888smc8888 Member Posts: 25
    It is definitely not normal, GM made a poorly designed engine and now tries to covered their behinds for warranty claims. If GM think this is normal, I challenge them to make it public telling everyone that when you buy a GM car, this is the standard of excellence they use. I wonder what other manufactures (Ford, Toyota, Honda, ...) about this, do they also think 1 quart per 2000 mile is normal? Give me a break GM!
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    Used to be using a quart every thousand miles was considered normal, one every 2k is an improvement. Some engines use oil as always has been the case.

The Oil Life Monitor does nothing to check oil level, that is still the owners responsibility.

Beyond that some of the 4 cyl's had had a oil consumption problem and the test should confirm that and lead to further diagnosis
  • dustn1799dustn1799 Member Posts: 2
    I am currently experiencing what many you have and are going through. I am looking for a little advice and some direction from anyone that can pass a phone number or email address along to me so I can contact a dealership that you have worked with to ask them about the stalling, oil consumption, and diesel sound that is coming from my 4 cylinder Ecotec engine?

My Equinox has always sounded a little rough, but no issues ever arouse over the 2 years of ownership (63,000 mi), so the thought never came to mind that there may be an underlying cause. I just thought it was normal. Well, 2 weeks ago, my check engine light came on (after I had it serviced a month before hand), I wasn't sure what the issue was because the car was running normal. I told myself I would take it down as soon as I could. Well, that same day, after the car had a chance to cool, it stalled on me. It did so, several times, and each time it was either at a cold start or with a few exceptions.

To make a long story short, my dealership took the car in and called me back within 4 hours saying they had fixed the problem and it is ready for pickup. I had a friend pick it up for me and she stated that the check engine light was still on and that the car still sounded terrible. The shop foreman came out checked the hood and said everything was fine. I told her to take the car back to the shop and have them fix the problem. They kept it overnight and the following day told me the car was 3 quarts low on oil (after having it serviced 3,000 miles ago) and that the reason for the car stalling was because of an O2 sensor was rubbing on the exhaust (hmm...).

Not sure if this will be the fix, but who knows. I asked for the error codes that came up and they gave me grief and when I had asked about the "zebra stripes" they thought I was speaking a foreign language.

Is this the dealership trying to avoid the labor and expense of replacing the inevitable? I have a solid 35k miles left to come back.

I would like some info on a shop I can contact about this problem because at this point it is about to become a paper weight on their doorstep!!!!
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    For the oil problem I would be looking to ask the dealer to do a oil consumption test. I would also look through the prior posts and open a case with GM custmer assistance. Also check the oil level on regular basis and don't be hesitant to bring it back to dealer for them to check if it is getting low.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Good morning alanmanus,

If you haven't already gotten a Service Request started with Customer service and want for us to follow up on this with your dealership, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, a summary of the situation, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your dealership).

Good morning dustn1799,

We're sorry to hear that the repairs at the dealership are not progressing very smoothly. If you would like, we're available to check into this further. Please email us at socialmedia@gm.com with more information, including your name and contact information, a brief summary of the situation, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your involved dealership.

• jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    It sounds like you need to go to another dealership. There are good ones out there. You just need to find one in your area. Good luck.
  • donnakay012660donnakay012660 Member Posts: 1
    We bought our Equinox in March 2012. We needed a vehicle that had more room than my 2005 Mustang. While I love the vehicle, we have had numerous small issues with it. We have a low idle miss which seems to be a mystery. Had it in the shop 3 times for this issue but so far, no results. Then we had to have a high pressure fuel pump put on it. And let's not forget a variety of sensors. There has also been an issue with the transmission slipping once in a while but that is also a mystery since the dealership cannot reproduce it. In total, it has been in the shop a total of 5 times since March. It was getting around 28 mpg but since all of the work has been done, it is only getting around 24 mpg. which I understand is still better mileage than the factory rating. My thing is if everything has been fixed, why has the gas mileage fallen? Makes no sense to me. It also has a loud motor sound that almost sounds like valves or lifters. I am told that this is normal. Really??? At any rate, we will keep the vehicle since we are not at a point to be able to trade it. Thankfully, my husband is a master mechanic and can fix anything that may go wrong with it now that the initial warranty has expired.
  • smc8888smc8888 Member Posts: 25
    Hi ray80, when you said 1 quart per 1000 miles how far back were you talking about? You can not compare 1970's engine with today's. A more valid comparison is to see how other current engines are doing in the oil consumption department.
    Hello donnakay012660,

If you had wanted for us to follow up with your dealership on the motor sound you described in the post, please contact us at socialmedia@gm.com with more information (include your name and contact information, a summary of the situation, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your involved dealership).

• rydah72rydah72 Member Posts: 7
    I purchased my 2010 exquinox 7 days ago. I went to a dealer near me 2 days ago because of a ticking sound from the engine. They said it was low on oil and the engine needs to be replaced. The truck is still under warrenty but they said they cannot replace it because the dealer that sold it to me has to. They also said this is a known problem with the 2010 equinox and i shouldnt have a problem. I called the dealer that i purchased it from and they said bring it in but they don't believe that to be true. The dealer also told me that they should not have turned me away because they could have done the work. Then they said they can do a partialrpartial rebuild. I just want a new engine. I need help. What can i do? What are my rights?
  • roykulproykulp Member Posts: 52
    rydah72...Wow....you really need to voice your frustrations & drive line issues to GM to resolve your issues. Trust me this is a great SUV and any issues you have GM will stand behind the warranty items providing the owner maintained vehical per intrction manual. This is a great site for getting better informed HOWEVER; GM is the way to get oproblem resolved.. I own a 2010 purchased in late 2009 and any issues I have experience have all been resolve without issue! I have 50.000 miles on 4cyl Nox and still running pretty good. I have changed oil / filter at GM dealer every 3500-4000 miles and feel confident if I have any engine issues; GM will stand behide my vehical; OIL Is Very Cheap insurance!
    I have an appointment Wednesday at the dealer. I will see what they tell me. Should i contact GM now?
    rydah72,

We're sorry to hear that you're in this difficult situation. If you would like for us to look into this situation further with you and your dealership, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com with more information (including your name and contact information, a summary of the situation, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your dealership).

Rydah, was going to say "Good Luck With That", but I don't want to discourage you from contacting GM. Some on this thread have evidently had 'good luck with that.' The update from my last posting: so far, I've spoken with 3 separate GM reps...one was the rep in NC where I broke down and the next was 'the next step up' in NC (had to call GM again to have her return my messages). The most recent rep was someone who gave me a call because my PA rep was 'not available.' They have not backed down on insisting that I have an oil consumption test completed before they can explore further and have hedged on the bill that I've incurred. I started an oil consumption test some time ago in good faith, but I'm an itinerant therapist who puts a lot of miles on in one week and spend most of my time miles from my dealer. To get my car in weekly to be checked has turned out to be very difficult. The rep that I spoke with yesterday ended up commiserating with me on all of the points that I made, but offered nothing else than the oil consumption test. I' always try to have a reasoned discussion and don't get belligerent or emotional as I think it serves no purpose, but I'm starting to wonder if this is why I'm getting no results?? As soon as this is resolved....and it WILL be resolved....I'm not letting it go....the Equinox is going and I won't even consider GM again....and, of course, will share my experience with as many people as I can!
    BTW, my dealer said that they need clearance from GM before they move on to further exploration of the problem!
  • elove88elove88 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2010 equinox that has been at the dealer for 15 days getting a new engine. I have owned it for a year and a half and have taken in twice for a rattling sound but turned away because they couldn't reproduce the noise. Most recently my husband noticed oil consumption problems. They did the test every 1000 miles X 3 and found I used a quart and a half after 1000 miles. After 4 days, they notified me that the first engine they put in rattled so they ordered another one!! How can that be? A new engine with immediate problems? Now the second new engine is in and they tell us that the check engine light is on. I have no confidence in this process. I want a new car. I have a bad feeling that I am going to have ongoing problems. I have always been a loyal GM customer. I have owned a 2005 equinox, a 2008, and this one. I would really like to trade but how will I ever get what I owe? I'm very frustrated!!!
    We're very sorry to hear that you've had so many engine troubles with your Equinox, elove88. If we can check into this situation further from a Customer Service standpoint, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, a summary of the situation, the last 8 of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your dealership).

• dustn1799dustn1799 Member Posts: 2
    Kudos to GM!!!

Dropped my car off today for a re-inspect from last week regarding my check engine light, oil consumption, and obnoxious diesel noise coming from the engine.

Just received a call from my dealer that there was scouring on the cylinder walls and that they are working with technical assistance to fix the problem. She mentioned that there is a strong possibility that they will be replacing my engine and that I can pick up a car rental tomorrow morning (provided by the dealership.)

Provided everything goes well I shouldn't have anymore issues with it.

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up that this issue can be resolved regarding the oil consumption. Take it in, be firm and you should be taken care of.
    So happy that they are doing the right thing for you. My dealer checked my truck today. Told me to check the oil every 500 miles and document it. If I hear the noise and the oil is going quickly then bring it back. Until then they are doing nothing else besides saying the 2010 Chevy Equinox makes noise. humm
    The 05 and 08 Equinox had OHV engines that GM had been making for years. These engines served GM well and overall were fairly reliable (gasket issues notwithsanding). With the exception of the full size trucks and full size sport utility vehicles, GM does not equip its vehicles with OHV engines anymore. Personally, I do not have confidence in any of GM's OHC engines which are found in all of their other vehicles (i.e., especially 2.4, 3.0, and 3.6 liter engines). Since the Equinox only comes with an OHC engine, I would avoid it entirely. It's sad to see so many GM owners frustrated with engine problems. I own two GM vehicles with OHV engines and both run great (knock on wood). Good luck.
  • wirks4mewirks4me Member Posts: 7
    edited November 2012
    I went through all the same engine problems as everyone else has with their 2010 Equinox. My dealership did all the tests and I got a new engine installed. So far it seems to run fine, but the first tank-full resulted in only 14.8 mpg, this a combination of mostly city and some highway driving. I have never gotten this bad of gas mileage with this vehicle. Has anyone else had this problem with their new engines? If so, did it improve after time?
    I got my equinox back 2 days ago and so far so good! I haven't made it through a tank of gas to know how it does but I will keep you posted.
  • bbainbridgebbainbridge Member Posts: 3
    How is Chevy allowed to have all of these problems with this engine and there not be mandatory recalls on them? Opps, I know....not enough deaths yet! I too, purchased the 2011 and have had the mysterious intermittant loud rattle at startup. Recently pursued the issue because it is happening more often. I reported this at my first oil change and they could not duplicate it. Now, after pushing the issue, they have replaced all parts under 2 different service bulletins. The problem is louder, longer, and in a word --it sounds like a diesel. After calling Chevy and asking questions that no one there seems to be able to answer, the Dist. Specialist told me there was no chance that this vehicle would qualify under a buyout. They are going to put a new engine in it. I have demanded that I see on paper, the day this engine was taken off of the assembly line because I certainly don't want another just like it. No one seems to know if Chevy has corrected the problem in the new engines or not! It seems they were going to fix some software issues; but that has been since cancelled. So what have they done to assure the problem is corrected. I got rid of a 9 yr. old vehicle that made NO noises and had NO PROBLEMS, and paid over $26 grand for a brand new car with major problems. No wonder they now have a "love it or leave it" program! I want to leave this one. After reading all of the posts here, it is apparent that this engine has more than a few problems and some are definitely safety issues if the cars are stalling. Now I'm afraid to have them put in a new engine for fear that this will be the next thing that happens. What should I do and what consumer protection should I have?
    Likely the engine will have no updates. I say this because GM is coming out with a 2.5 liter engine that will be the base engine in many of their new vehicles. Why would they spend money and time on an engine that is being phased out? Unfortunately, GM's track record does not inspire confidence when it concerns taking care of its customers. If you want to stick with the Equinox, your best bet would be to take what they offer in terms of the replacement engine and then try to trade it in when the Equinox comes out with the new 2.5 liter engine. Hopefully, the 2.5 liter engine will not be problematic. Good luck.
    Good afternoon wirks4me,

We're glad to hear that your Equinox is running okay after the engine replacement. As far as your inquiry on the fuel economy, your Equinox will likely not obtain the optimal fuel economy until the engine has broken in. A typical engine will take 3 to 5 thousand miles to break in and during this time period a gradual increase in fuel economy can be expected.

Please feel free to keep us updated, however. We can be reached at socialmedia@gm.com if you have any questions (please include your name, contact information, and the last 8 digits of your VIN with your inquiry).

Glad things are working out. I have to do a. Every 500 mile log on my oil and then report back to the service dept. All this hassle I incurred. I should have kept my other car. I don't have time to keep driving a hour away to go to the dealer. The dealer near me turned me away and sent me back to the dealer I purchased from because my purchase was recent. I am so upset about all of this.
  • bbainbridgebbainbridge Member Posts: 3
    You misunderstood me--the engine has been ordered. Since I wrote my message the other day, the car noise has progressively gotten worse and now sounds like a diesel truck standing beside it. The replacement parts that were put in last week most certainly did it no good and has made it 3 times as loud. I have no idea what damage is being done each time it is started. But then this was my concern way back to the first oil change when I mentioned the problem to the serv. dept. I really feel that the new engine I get should be given the original 100,000 mi. and 5 yr warranty. This is Chevy's fault--not the owner's. If GM wants to put a good name back in my mouth, they should be giving me some confidence. Right now I have none. I bought this car because I believe in America. I hate seeing all the foreign cars on the road and I will never own one. I am a retired UAW worker and would bet my life on an American made vehicle.....but I'm sure glad I didn't do so on this Equinox!! I love it; but I am now scared to death driving it because I don't know what's going to happen next and most definitely down the road before the warranty is up. It's no wonder you started the "Love it or Leave it " program. I sincerely feel you should be offering it to those of us who have purchased the 2011 Equinox and are experiencing the engine problems we have. In the long run, it would be the greatest thing Chevy could do for it's name and reputation. That's my opinion and I'm sticking with it to anyone who asks me how I like my car. And plenty of people do! Thanks My case # is 71-112-4960463
    I really hope they replace the engine for you. This is my first American vehicle so I pray they do the right thing and if not then when I pay it down I will be trading back to foreign.
    I think it's crap that they don't give another 100000 miles on the new engine! My car has 62000 on it now. It seems that the majority who have had problems like ours didn't have them until 50-60 K miles. I only have 38000 now on the power train warranty. I have no confidence in my Equinox even with the new engine. I have has it back for 5 days and tonight the check engine light came on. I want a new car!!!
    bbainbridge,
    I re-opened your case that had been set up with your District Specialist and let them know that you have been proceeding with the repairs.

Good morning elove88,

I'm truly sorry to hear that you're getting a check engine light on the new engine that was just put into your Equinox. As others within my department respond to the emails coming in from Edmunds, I'm not sure if you've already started a Service Request with us or not. If we can follow up on this, please don't hesitate to email us at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 of your VIN, the name of your dealership, and a brief summary of the situation).

• wirks4mewirks4me Member Posts: 7
    Sarah,

3000 to 5000 miles for an engine break-in? My operators manual on page "8-28" states there is no elaborate break-in period...just guidelines such as:

Do not drive at any one constant speed for the first 500 miles; During the first 600 miles aviod using more than a moderate acceleration in lower gears and avoid vehicle speeds above 68 mph; Between the first 600 miles and 3000, heavy acceleration in lower gears can be used. Vehicle speeds above 68 mph should be limited to five minutes per use.

Nothing in there about gas mileage getting better after 3000 to 5000 miles!

Again, never had this poor of gas mileage...not even in the dead of winter with more idleing time or remote starts.

So, far on this tank...with mostly highway driving, the average is 17.9 mph.

We will be highway traveling during the upcoming holiday...this thing had better get improved gas mileage.
    Safe travels over the Thanksgiving holiday, wirks4me.

The information I had provided about improved fuel economy as the engine breaks in was not drawn from an owner's manual, but rather from an internal resource I have available to me about fuel economy questions. It is far from exhaustive, and mostly focuses on how EPA ratings are obtained and what their purpose is.