Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Chevy Equinox Problems

Comments

• elli2elli2 Member Posts: 15
    If you bought the car in 2010, your powertrain is covered for 100,000 miles or 5 years. If you are having the oil consumption problem and your engine needs to be replaced, you are still under warranty.
  • audionuttyaudionutty Member Posts: 19
    get them to do an oil consumption test. if it really burns 1qt per 1000miles they should replace the engine. They did mine and many other people's. There is a TSB on "zebra striping" that explains it. Hopefully the replacement engines have the issue fixed by now. I got mine replaced 2 years ago and the replacement engine is starting to have the same problem. the 2.4L LAF engine in the 2010 to 2011 equinox is basically a defective design. The 2012 and newer equinox has a different engine code so it must have been redesigned somewhat.
    Following up to my previous posts..... I had my engine replaced in January, but I was still having a strange problem. When I started the car (with no additional warmup), and stepped on the gas, the car would go to around 15MPH and then no further power. No VROOM on the gas pedal. This had predated the new engine (BTW, my engine sucked up 5 quarts of oil in around 1500 when they finally replaced it without too much fight). Also, the car just didn't "feel right" when I was accelerating. Chevy decided to put in a new high pressure fuel pump, Thank You Chevy, but that did not solve the problem. And Chevy could not "recreate the problem"

I kept a log, because it was now happening every single day, and the trick was to catch it before the temp dial nudged about C - so you only had maybe 2 minutes to catch it. With that knowledge, they were able to recreate the problem. BTW, there were no codes being thrown during any of this. They were stumped and brought in the Chevy engineer, who determined it was a bad oxygen sensor (a $60 part). Changed the oxygen sensor, which was not covered under the powertrain warranty, but THANK GOD I bought the extended warranty for this lemon. I have now had the car back for a week, and it is running great for the first time in 6 months.

I am hopeful that my current batch of problems are over. I have to say that I am still getting HORRID gas mileage - just under 20 on the average. I do a lot of city driving, but 20?? Ridiculous.

This is the last Chevy I will ever buy.
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    I believe GM is having problems with the direct injection in the 2.4 ecotec. When this engine was introduced about 10 years ago (i.e. 2.2 ecotec) in the Cavalier, it was reliable. In the Cobalts (i.e. Cavalier's successor), one did not hear of many problems with this engine even when the displacement was increased to 2.4 liters. When it was put in the updated Equinox in 2010, direct injection was added and the problems began. The fuel system components (especially the fuel pump and injectors) are under a lot more pressure and it's breaking down resulting in gasoline mixing with oil in the engine. Direct injection is supposed to increase fuel economy but the downside are the engine problems that many customers are experiencing.
  • jpatrick2jpatrick2 Member Posts: 17
    Your words are the first I've heard regarding a possible fix in the 2012 and beyond engines. I certainly hope you are right. Common sense says that GM would jump on this problem, but--did I say common sense?
  • cmhj2000cmhj2000 Member Posts: 381
    edited April 2013
    You pretty much hit the nail on the head.

Also, many are not aware of the re-calibration being done on many OLMs. Even my 2012 LS was included.

Since it was done it appears the system will hit zero 15-20% sooner than before. That's ok with me as I don't pay much attention to the OLM anyway knowing the possible fuel dilution problems with the DI engine since most of our driving is short trip.

If anyone does use the OLM for a service guide I'd suggest they contact their dealer to see if they are in the recall. I didn't know mine was until I went in for an unrelated service issue and the writer came to me with this so I let them do it.
  • rydah72rydah72 Member Posts: 7
    update to a post a few months back I made regarding my 2010 equinox. So I brought my truck to the dealer last week for the check engine light and today they are putting in a brand new out the box 2011 engine. I hope NO MORE PROBLEMS!!!!! I forgot to ask since the engine is brand new out the box do I get a brand new 5 year warrenty on it????
  • duetsuduetsu Member Posts: 36
    Congrats on the new engine! My dealer installed a brand new engine in my 2010 Equinox 3500 miles ago and it's running just fine. I was only able to get the balance of my powertrain 100,000 mile warranty or the remaining time left on my original 5 yr warranty (which ever comes first). I am hoping that this engine is the end of the troubles and I can put another 100k on the car. I am going to evaluate how the car is doing when I get close to the end of the original warranty before making a final decision. Good luck to you!
  • llamitiellamitie Member Posts: 13
    No you don't. I too had just the balance left on it. Which is BS. It took Chevy 60k miles to figure out I needed a new one. By then on your 2nd engine - you will be out of warranty. I just traded in my equinox for a VW. I am forever a Chevy hater. I hope they get everything they have coming to them. Hope they lose money hand over fist.
  • 2010equinox22010equinox2 Member Posts: 4
    So after 6 months of back and forth to the dealer my 2010 that I bought brand new is finally getting a new motor. At around 30k my check engine light was on , it was blowing through oil and running terrible. Now finally at 42k I am getting a new motor, however my warranty does not start over it simply carries over which scares the hell out of me cause in 30k miles on the new motor am I going to have the same problems ? Thanks a lot GM this is the last GM I own, have owned them my whole life and had to unload my 2005 Trailblazer at 30k because of electrical issues, only to buy this piece of crap. DONT BUY ONE !!! I want a new car, I think GM needs to make this right and not just replacing the motor but replacing the car. I want something safe and reliable that what I had inticipated and paid for. No faith in GM anymore.
    Can you give any pointers on how you managed to have your vehicle replaced ? I can't even get them to extend the warranty.
    Nope. You get whatever was left on your original warranty. My car is 3 years old and I just got a new engine (43,000 miles). So I get 2 years of powertrain warranty and that's it. You can try to argue with Chevy corporate about it, but from what I'm reading from others, you won't get very far. But congrats on getting over the hill like so many others of us!
  • shaydenshayden Member Posts: 1
    We purchased a 2010 Chevy Equinox brand new in 2010. It has 68,000 miles on it. From about 60,000 miles on, we have had too many issues!

#1. It has "stalled" while driving for absolutely NO reason 3 times now. No warning lights, no warning at all. Just QUITS while going down the road.....even on the freeway one time. When re-starting it, it chugs, chokes, spits-&-sputters and runs like a 25 year old vehicle would be expected to run, not a new one that you pay $27,000 for!!! Then, continues on, fearing it will do it at any given time again!

#2. The center console lights all turn off or do not come on at all upon starting the vehicle several times now. When this happens, the radio and heat/cool system stays where it was before they turn off. NONE of the buttons on the console work during the "outage". This causes a terrible problem with defrost, heating, cooling, and the radio blaring and not being able to turn it off, down, etc. This winter, on a 30 degree below zero day, I jumped out to run into a business quick on my lunch hour from work, leaving the key in the ignition, and the vehicle running. When the door shut, the horn sounded and ALL the doors locked! There is NO way I could have hit the "lock all" button, as it is located on the center console! I called the dealer, they said I had to call a locksmith and that I had to hit the lock all button on the way out, as the vehicle is designed to NOT lock all the doors if key in the ignition (and running!). Well.....it DID and $60 later to get it unlocked!

#3. The motor runs rough. It sounds/idles rough. Has for about last 8,000 miles.

#4. We have the oil changed every 3000 miles at the local oil change business in town. We have only used Synthetic oil with every change. Last oil change, I noticed for several days, that my vehicle was louder & rougher running than usual. We both work 2 jobs and have unmatched schedules....by the time I asked my husband 2 days later to look at it, he listened to it and said it sounded like a diesel logging truck. He asked when I had the oil change done last. I looked and the vehicle was JUST ready to turn over the 3000 miles, so, it was due. The monitor in the car still said 68%!!! Anyway, he said, well, it sounds like there is no oil it it. Upon checking it, he was right! To our shock, he added 3 quarts of oil!!! I drove it for 2 weeks, looking under the vehicle the 2 spots I part daily, and, NO leaks. I then figured, the filter was not changed, nor the oil, so, I took it in for a change. Again, to our surprise, it was 1 quart low already! I contacted where we purchased the vehicle and have the warranty. They told me that we have to do "an oil consumption study" and take it to a GM dealer for weekly oil checks for 1000 miles (the place I get the oil changed in town was NOT acceptable I guess). Anyway, I have to run there and have it checked and recorded weekly I guess. But, if this is what we have to do to have a reliable vehicle, and to NOT lose any more time and money, we will get it done!

#5. Now, the last several days, there is a loud, almost like a jet or a wind-up toy sound and the RPMs race up before each shift. By the time it warms, and I get to the dealer in town (where they are checking my oil), it does not make the sound any more! They look at me like I am mentally challenged. I FEAR getting stranded during business travel or late after work one night! Every day, it is a gut-wretching fear and wonder. We are TOTALLY regretting this vehicle and DO NOT want anything to do with it. However, we surely CANNOT trade it at this point!! IF we did, we know we will get nothing for it with all the issues with it! We owe more than we would ever get. I do NOT want another GM and are thinking FORD, but, it would not be fair to trade this lemon off to Ford, either!?

I don't know if GM is doing anything about this for their PAYING customers that are keeping their company alive? I am ready to go public on every technology tool possible about this. I see On-line, unfortunately, we are NOT alone. WE JUST WANT OUR MONEY BACK OR A FAIR TRADE to get out of this LEMON!!!!! GM is on the verge of losing a life long customer and their 2 auto buying kids and every friend and family they can tell/warn.

PLEASE HELP US!!!!!! WE WORK TOO DAMN HARD FOR OUR MONEY TO FLY OUT THE WINDOW ON A $27,000 VEHICLE THAT SHOULD RUN FOR THE NEXT 10 YEARS (OTHER THAN REGULAR MAINTENANCE!). WE ARE JUST SICK AND TIRED OF IT. SHAME ON GM FOR NOT STEPPING UP TO THE PLATE AND HAVING THEIR DEALERS/DISTRIBUTORS SUPPORT AND HELP THEIR CUSTOMERS WITH THESE ISSUES IMMEDIATELY AND WITHOUT CONSEQUENCE/EXPENSE!!!!
  • nailsgirlnailsgirl Member Posts: 13
    My engine was replaced at 65K. NO EXTENDED WARRANTY! I have 91K, prob trading it in
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hi 2010equinox2,

I can understand your frustration with the situation you are describing. I am happy to see that the dealer was able to get the motor replaced for you. We don't anticipate another issue with your motor but if you should have any issues please don't hesitate to reach out to us. Our goal is to make sure that you are pleased with your investment and your vehicle is operating as designed. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. Please let me know if there is anything else we can do for you.

Crystal L-GM Customer Care
    Thank you Crystal, at the current moment I haven't heard back from GM as promised and now they are putting off returning my call again. I have gone as far as posting my dissatisfaction on KBB, Car and Driver, and Edmunds. I will not hesitate discussing my dissatisfaction on my private and public social media sites that are supported by over thousands of followers. I am very unhappy and uncomfortable driving my vehicle. As a mom I want the reliable and trustworthy vehicle that I was guaranteed and that I wrote a check for. You didn't even have to wait for payment. I wrote a check and traded in the 2005 trailblazer that was a lemon. I have owned countless Chevy's in my lifetime and my husband is an avid car collector. Unless GM makes this right I am no longer supporting the brand.
    2010equinox2,

Can you send me a private message with your VIN and full name so I can take a look into your case please? My email address is [email protected] "Attn Crystal" in the subject header.

Crystal L-GM Customer Care
  • 2010equpro2010equpro Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2013
    I just had my 2010 equinox in for an oil change and was denied service from a private garage. My check engine light came on and they did a diagnosis with results of a P0324 Knock Control System Malfunction. I was informed that I needed to take my equinox into the dealer ASAP as it's having engine problems. The last two oil changes (one was at the dealer) when I brought it in had burned the oil before 3,000 miles. I have 89,000 miles and the warranty is only up to 100K miles. I'm sure I'll get the run around, but I honestly don't have the time with coming close to my warranty. Can anyone offer advise as to where to start?

Thanks so much
  • jpatrick2jpatrick2 Member Posts: 17
    The place to start is your local dealer and pronto. Let them check that code and go from there.
    I'm sure the GM folks on this forum will assist if needed.
    Good luck, hope it is minor.
    Hi 2010equpro

If you need help locating a dealer I'd be more than happy to set up a time to get you into the dealership to get this issue checked. If you are interested please email your full name, VIN, and address to [email protected] ATTN: Amber. I look forward to your response.

Regards

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • msbeckmsbeck Member Posts: 4
    edited May 2013
    Here are the issues I am/have had (purchases 4/2010):

1. At a red light, car idled really rough, then all of the dash lights came on. I drove straight to the dealership. They checked it out and said I needed a new fuel pump. I had about 47,000 miles and it needs a fuel pump!!! The explanation I received from the dealership - well sometimes things happen.

2. Oil Consumption - the first time this happened I was hearing a funny noise when I turned left coming from the engine. My boyfriend checked the oil when I took him to the airport the next morning to find no oil on the dipstick. Since it was 4am we put in 2 qts then when the dealer ship opened I took it in. They told me they could not find any internal or external leaks so bring in weekly for oil consumption test (I was about 1500 miles since my oil change that was done at the same time the fuel pump was replaced) I went in every week for about a month no issues found. I started a case with GM cust Service Had my oil changed again. Was told no need to continue consumption tests. Drove out of town to visit family (about 2000 miles after oil change) the next night after driving 200 miles to visit, we heard the noise again (10pm) checked the oil.......2 qts low. Added oil and took to local dealership. No problems found related to oil, but did find another alert that needed to be completed when I got home related to the water pump tensioner. I did contact GM customer service again who communicated with the dealership, but only was told to wait until my next scheduled oil change and start consumption tests again. I was also told to bring it in when the car is showing low or no oil on the dipstick, but if it is late night and the dealership is not open, I'm not sure what they expect me to do to get it to them or to get home. But like most, I was told 1qt every 2000 miles is normal for this car.

3. I pod jack - worked fine for the first 2 years, but then would cause all center consule lights to go out, could not operate radio or a/c. Took it to the dealership, they said there was a radio update that should have fixed it but cautioned me that any "after market" items could cause this problme to recur.......uuuhhhh this IPOD jack was an option that came on my car, but the ipod it is designed for will probably make it malfunction

4. Stalling - I have only had this problem once (thankfully) but it was as I was turning left across 3 lanes of traffic!

5. Jerky transmission - the first time this issue happened it jerked so hard I thought I hit something. TOok it to the dealership and was told, like others it was the transmission "learning" me. THe transmission codes were updated and problem only occurs occasionally

6. Drivers seat lumbar support airbladder - has popped and had to be replaced two times

This is the 4th car I have purchased, 2 of them I put >140,000 miles on and never had issues like I have on the nox with only 55.000 miles. This was my first american car and will likely be my last as I am seriously considering trading it in very soon! :mad:
  • dowopdowop Member Posts: 25
    I put almost 36000 miles on my 2010 4cyl with no problems except for the loud ticking engine noise. I bought a 2013 about 3 weeks ago & with 1000 miles on it there is no ticking noise. What did they change?
  • tnb4210tnb4210 Member Posts: 1
    We purchased a new 2010 Eqinox 4-cylinder app 2 years ago. My problems started about 50,000 first the fuel pump went out. Thought it would be conerev by warranty it the only item excluded from the extended waranty tried to ge GM to provide at least parcial assistance on paying. GM's reply was we did not change the oil according to schedule. We always tried to change oil acording to the oil change light, but I find out from another dealer the it needed to be chagned every 3,000 although ths oil change lite was set about 5,000 so GM decline any assistance on the fuel pump. By the way earlier this GM innued a recall and moved the oil change light just on the 4-cylinder. From this time on the engine would run rough noisy each time we took in to complain about it the dealer would just change the oil and say every thing was ok well it would run ok until about 2,500 and we would have to take in for an oil change. Within a few months after the fuel punp went out chain on my fuel pump went out, the next in the processio was the alternator all of this happened in with less than 80,000 and all the these noises where coming fron under the hood. Ithe last instdent occured at 101,400 miles the vehicle quit on our way home one night noe lights nothingjust quit at this point with the 100,000 mile limit crossed the deales charged me $400 tho tear the engine down he found a problem with the cylinder heads never said what it was. Said he would not look any father because he was afrait he would find something else already abr $1,600. Offered to give me $2,500 and I pay for repairs including anything else he might fine. Techinican bleives $4 -6,000 could be final total so thet would be $3,500 out of my pocket. Dont belive I should be charged the information was wroung to begin with and vehilee was a leamon.
    I am starting to think some these posts are really spam.
    Hi tnb4210,

I can certainly understand your frustrations with the issues you have described. I would like to research this for you. Can you private message me your full name, address, phone number, Vehicle Identification number, involved dealer, and approximate mileage on your vehicle please? My email address is [email protected] "Attn Crystal" in the subject header please.

Crystal L- GM Customer Care
  • audionuttyaudionutty Member Posts: 19
    Different engine code. Not sure what changed. Also new engine probably has tighter timing chain
    2010 to 2011 is LAF
    2012 and newer is LEA.
    Thanks for the info. The 2010 I had was making the ticking noise when I bought it. The Dealer told me it was the norm because of the DI.
    The 2013 still has DI but no ticking sound..................yet.
    Well, since getting my new engine in January because of the documented oil consumption problem, I've had a number of other problems, which necessitated replacing my fuel pump, a new oxygen sensor, and most recently, replacement of a cracked flywheel (really, WTH is a flywheel?). After all this, I THINK I can say the car is running well. We'll see.

But here's the great news. After speaking with my dealer's service manager and just randomly complaining about the piece of **** vehicle that they sold me, they - without prompting from me - offered to provide a "component coverage letter" to me. This letter does what none of us thought we could get. It extends my powertrain warranty, effectively giving me a new 5-year powertrain warranty starting today. My car has 45,000 miles on it. This warranty now goes to May of 2018 (5 more years) or 125,000 miles. I'm actually pretty happy with that, all things considered.

So point is: For all of you who thought you couldn't get your warranty on your new engine extended beyond what's left on it, well, I'm living proof that you can. DON'T go to Chevy corporate - big waste of time. Go to your local Service Manager, have him look at your records, and ask them if you can get a "component coverage letter" to extend your powertrain warranty in light of all the problems you've had.

Still haven't decided if I will keep the vehicle, but since I just got divorced and really can't afford to start over with yet another 5 years of car payments, this is definitely a step in the right direction. Good luck, everyone!
  • dallascowboy2dallascowboy2 Member Posts: 1
    We bought our Equinox from the dealer brand new. It was the first AMERICAN car my wife owned in 20 years. We LOVED it till it hit 70,000 miles. It started to idle rough and just didn't sound right. The exhaust had a new smell to it too. Like it was running RICH. Then the heater started to act up. Sometimes it would work other times not. After taking it to the dealership for brakes a noise could be heard from the back brakes when stopping. We took the truck back to the dealership near us who had worked on the brakes but they couldn't find anything WRONG with it. Jeff D' Ambrosio in Oxford Pa told us there is nothing wrong with it. They said no codes were showing up. In the morning from a cold start you could definitely hear something was not right. We left it with them overnight so they could check it in the morning. Took it there a second time they said they fixed the heater but nothing else could be found. We then took the truck back to Bob Bell in Bel Air Md where we purchased it from. They too said nothing was wrong. So I got on EDMUNDS forums and started to read all these complaints about the 4 cylinder engine. We went right from the Chevy dealership to a KIA dealership and are now driving a way nicer SPORTAGE. Now before you knock KIA the transmission in the Equinox comes from KOREA. GOOD BYE CHEVY, WE SHOULD NOT HAVE BAILED YOU OUT!!!!!
  • tlc2canntlc2cann Member Posts: 5
    I've been havering these same issues with our 2010 equinox everyone describes on here.
    The engine is loud and ticking. I took it in two months ago and they replaced the high pressure fuel pump and did an oil change since they found fuel in the oil.we just took it back last Friday after it was running loud again and the check engine light came on. It was at the dealer for 5 days. They concluded that the injectors were bad ( 1200 dollars to replace )and they weren't covered under the warranty. So I told them to put it back together and we would bring it in when we had the money. But after reading this forum I decided just to be safe to check the oil before I even started it.
    IT WAS BONE DRY !!! After setting at the dealer for 5 days they never even checked the oil. We've only put 1800 miles on it since THEY changed it. The general manager had them put 5 , yes 5 qts of oil in it and told us to check it everyday until we can get it back in. I called gm corporate and filed a complaint and they are supposed to put a oil consumption monitor on it. If it uses too much they might be getting me a new motor too if things fall into place. The mechanic kept saying that the fuel injectors may be why it's using oil but that's a crock. Even with fuel injectors washing out they will not use 5 quarts in 1800 miles. Maybe 1 quart. I just hope I don't have a fight on my hands. They know there's a problem with these engines or they wouldn't be replacing them so often for free. And I also recorded everything on video. Me checking the oil, the front sign of the dealership and that mechanic talking after we told him it was completely out of oil.
  • nailsgirlnailsgirl Member Posts: 13
    Demand a new engine! I got a new engine ! NO QUESTIONS ASKED! THEY KNOW ABOUT THE PROBLEM.
    although, my gas mileage is 25mpg not 31! I am trading it in . Good luck
  • michelle_smichelle_s Member Posts: 6
    My story is very similar to yours. How many miles do you have on your Equinox? You have a 100,000 mile powertrain warranty that will cover the expenses. My dealership started by putting in a new fuel pump too ...UNDER WARRANTY! A few other things were replaced as well. Last weekend I had a loud knocking in my engine and checked my oil to find none on my dipstick. I took it in and got a new engine 3 days later...again UNDER WARRANTY. Find another dealership to work with. Also, GM monitors this site and will likely get in touch with you. They may be able to give you guidance as well. They contacted me after I posted concerns on here. I don't know if they did or did not help facilitate getting my work done under warranty or not but after 3 trips to the dealership I haven't paid a dime so contact with them didn't hurt anything! Good luck!
    My equinox has 60,300 miles. Tomorrow the district service manager is suppose to call me. They want to work out a deal on the fuel injectors what ever that means. Which I know isn't my problem. But thanks to this forum, I've got a leg up on them. I've got a copy of the #pip-5025 service bullitin
    And a few other things I'm going throw at them. I've already gotten the run around at this dealer. Like the mechanic bringing out a service bullitin he just happened to find on the water pump tensioner chain needing replaced because it makes noises. They keep trying to put a band aid on it to send me on my way by fixing other stuff that's not even the real problem. Their wasting their time and mine. And they still say that leaking fuel injectors would wash out 5 qts of oil in 1800 miles and a month and a half. Not falling for that. I wish I could show that district service manager the video I made of me picking it up and checking the oil after it set there for 3 days when they supposedly were servicing it.
  • kwaz023kwaz023 Member Posts: 1
    We bought our 2010 Equinox LTZ front-wheel drive 4cyl. brand new in December 2009. We were essentially problem free until we approached 60,000mi. The lumbar support was the first to go--which was replaced under warranty. BTW, my wife and I are slim. Next to go was the air conditioning pump, which we found through a loud rattle under the hood. Then our navigation unit failed and needed replaced. All this by 60,000mi. At 62,000mi our transmission blew out leaving us 90mi from home stranded on the side of the highway. GM towed the car to nearest dealer. Within two weeks, the "guts" of our transmission was replaced. GM would not provide a new transmission, just fixed all the broken parts. After that the lumbar blew out again, and then a third time shortly after....all replaced by the dealer under warranty.
    At 66,000mi our transmission blew out again, on the Bay Bridge in traffic. The vehicle was able to get off the exit slipping in and out of first gear. It was towed to the dealer that performed all our routine maintenance. The dealer called after two days to tell us they could not find anything wrong. I told them to drive it, they'll know. They did and promptly drained the transmission fluid, finding pieces of metal with the fluid. All new parts were ordered for the transmission, again. Similarly, GM would not replace the transmission, so I was told, only the broken pieces. After 2 weeks, we received our vehicle. Driving it home, the vehicle shifted when stopping. I brought it back. It was discovered that the dealer forgot to tighten the subframe bolts. I couldn't pick up the vehicle during normal business hours, so they left it in the lot, key hidden. I picked up my vehicle only to find the tire extremely low in air (25psi). I alerted the dealer, but they refused to acknowledge that they punctured the tire, so I had to pay for the tire to be patched. Unbelievable. What's worse is that now the vehicle shook when placed in reverse, and there is an audible popping noise emitting from the front when turning the wheels. The dealer informed me it was all normal. I reached out to GM corporate. A district specialist had me take the vehicle to another dealer to look at. The whole time it was there, I received no rental, as they said they didn't know if it was warranty work. The car sat for days. I received no follow up. When I called they said no work has been done as they are awaiting comment from GM engineers to see if the vibrations in reverse were normal. They told me if I wanted I could pick up my car until they got word. I never heard back from them. This was around the holidays. I dropped off their radar, even though I placed countless calls and emails.
    To make matters worse, now our vehicle is eating through oil. I just had the oil changed 2000 miles ago and today it was bone dry. The dipstick smelled of gasoline. My wife and I once loved this vehicle. We even convinced my parents to purchase the same vehicle, just 3 years newer. Now I wouldn't mind pushing it off a cliff. Everything has been a hassle, from the dealerships, service departments, and specialists. Nothing has been done. Now I have a popping, clanking, oil eating "new car".
  • djbbelangerdjbbelanger Member Posts: 2
    I bought my 2010 Equinox exactly 3 yrs and 50,600 mi ago. Over the weekend at a travel softball tournament 200 mi away, my Equinox's transmission would no longer engage after a normal morning drive! Vehicle would start, but would not seem to move in *any* gear. If given a high throttle, but it would "buck" only briefly, then stop. All this accompanied with a high pitched whining type noise. I contacted a local towing service and the tower almost seemed to know what was going to happen next. He placed my suv in reverse, stepped on the gas aggressively and got it to move. I could see the tires fighting with what almost looked like the anti-lock brake and traction system trying to kick in. The tower barely managed to drive it up on the towing bed. I didn't want to chance driving it back with my family being that far from home, so I had no choice but to rent a vehicle. GM Concierge at least arranged for a taxi to the rental car co. which they are paying for the next couple of days, while I wait for the local Chevy dealer to open up after the holiday weekend to tell me what is wrong. After reading several of these similar engine type scenarios out here, I'm very afraid to find out more!

Here's the real pain point. I had a similar problem back in Jan of this year where my equinox would lose complete acceleration and would barely react to any throttle response. I took it to my local dealer, who gladly replaced what they said was a faulty "throttle body"! That "new" throttle body part cost me $400.00 + tax w/ $250 of labor! Of course, since this was not considered part of my power train warranty (how convenient) I ate it and hoped that would be the end any major trouble, at least for a while.

Exactly one month before this holiday travel weekend, I went to my local Chevy dealer in late April for some preventative maintenance to be sure my oil / air filters, all fluids, and even a fuel induction cleaning was allowed to be done since there was a "special" going on {wink}. I figured not a bad idea considering the "throttle body" experience I had endured and after all, travel softball season is here! "Why not"?

Well here I am after doing what I thought were all the right things, keeping up proper maintenance and still waiting to find out...the rest of the story. Stay tuned.

- Chevy-less in upstate NY.
  • djbbelangerdjbbelanger Member Posts: 2
    Just to note on the recent post, I made sure to check the emergency brake first. I actually applied and released a couple times just to make sure. ;)
  • aussieinvaaussieinva Member Posts: 8
    All,

Sadly I purchased a 2010 4 Cyl Equinox new in August 2011, with the main intent being an attempt to save gas spend...but oh what a lemon we have on our hands...its been to the dealers several times for code outs, usually 0011 Cam Actuators errors...I have been doing some web research and found the following extract direct from GM Service Bulletins...it seems GM was aware of sand casting issues with the engine blocks and cylinder heads, as far back as 2009. Their answer was to issue a service bulletin to reprogram the ECU and if, and only if the vehicle had been sold, then replace the actuators for the camshafts...apparently, the sand breaks loose, and clogs for actuator filters causing them to fail...this essentially means they played roulette with the known fault condition and put the emphasis back onto the poor buyers...read the following and make up your own minds, but it seems clear to me...Campaign Recall 11195A

Per GM:
    This bulletin has been revised to include parts, service procedure, and labor time for
    repairs to customer vehicles. Please discard all copies of bulletin 11195, issued June

Recall 11195A applies to:
    2011 Buick LaCrosse, Regal
    2011 Chevrolet Equinox
    2011 GMC Terrain
    Equipped with a 2.4L Gas Engine (LAF)

Other pertinent data from the Recall:
    Please read Line Item #5
    This simply notes the States whose Emission Laws require that an Emission Recall Correction Sticker must be afixed to the vehicle upon completion of the work. Please note that in addition to the sticker, in California a Certificate of completion is also required...as noted at the bottom of the Recall notice.

Line Item #5 should NOT be construed as to limit the scope of correction to those states. That is why it is listed after the repair procedures.

CONDITION
    General Motors has decided to conduct a Voluntary Emission Recall involving certain 2011
    Buick LaCrosse, Regal; Chevrolet Equinox; and GMC Terrain vehicles equipped with a 2.4L
    gas engine (LAF). On these vehicles, the camshaft position actuator solenoid may stick,
    resulting in the illumination of the malfunction indicator light, rough idle, poor driveability,
    and/or possible stalling at low throttle opening.

CORRECTION
    Dealers are to reprogram the engine control module, and if necessary, replace the camshaft
    position actuator solenoid valves.
    VEHICLES INVOLVED
    Involved are certain 2011 model year Buick LaCrosse, Regal; Chevrolet Equinox; and GMC
    Terrain vehicles equipped with a 2.4L gas engine (LAF).
    Important: Dealers are to confirm vehicle eligibility prior to beginning repairs by using the
    Required Field Actions section in the Global Warranty system. Not all vehicles
    may be involved.
    For dealers with involved vehicles, a listing with involved vehicles containing the complete
    vehicle identification number, customer name, and address information has been prepared
    and will be provided to US and Canadian dealers through the GM GlobalConnect Recall
    Page 2 August 2011 Bulletin No.: 11195A
    Reports, or sent directly to export dealers. Dealers will not have a report available if they
    have no involved vehicles currently assigned.
    The listing may contain customer names and addresses obtained from Motor Vehicle
    Registration Records. The use of such motor vehicle registration data for any purpose other
    than follow-up necessary to complete this recall is a violation of law in several
    states/provinces/countries. Accordingly, you are urged to limit the use of this report to the
    follow-up necessary to complete this recall.
    PART INFORMATION
    Parts required to complete this recall are to be obtained from General Motors Customer Care
    and Aftersales (GMCC&A). Please refer to your “involved vehicles listing” before ordering
    parts. Normal orders should be placed on a DRO = Daily Replenishment Order. In an
    emergency situation, parts should be ordered on a CSO = Customer Special Order.
    Part Number Description Quantity/Vehicle
    12628347 Valve, Cm/Shf Posn Actr Int Sol 1 (If Req'd)
    12628348 Valve, Cm/Shf Posn Actr Exh Sol 1 (If Req'd)
    SERVICE PROCEDURE
    1. Determine the vehicle status.
    If the vehicle is still in dealer inventory, reprogram the ECM with the latest calibration.
    Refer to ECM Programming in this bulletin. Do NOT replace the camshaft position
    actuator solenoid valves.
    If the vehicle has been delivered to the customer, reprogram the ECM and replace the
    camshaft position actuator solenoid valves. Refer to Engine Controls - Camshaft
    Position Actuator Solenoid Valve Replacement in SI.
    ECM Programming
    Do not attempt to order the calibration number from GM Customer Care and Aftersales. The
    calibration numbers required for this service procedure are programmed into control modules
    via a Multiple Diagnostic Interface (MDI) or Tech 2® diagnostic scan tool and TIS2WEB with
    the calibration update. Use TIS2WEB on or after 6/23/11 to obtain the calibration. If you
    cannot access the calibration, call the Techline Customer Support Center at 1-800-828-6860
    (English) or 1-800-503-3222 (French) and it will be provided. Make sure your Tech 2®
    diagnostic scan tool is updated with the latest software version or verify that the multiple
    diagnostic interface (MDI) that is being used is configured to the PC that will be used. Clear
    any codes and verify the condition has been corrected.
    For step-by-step programming instructions, please refer to SI and the Techline Information
    System (TIS) terminal.
    1. Verify that there is a battery charge of 12 to 15 volts. The battery must be able to
    maintain a charge during programming. Only use an approved Midtronics® PSC 550
    Battery Maintainer (SPS Programming Support Tool EL-49642) or equivalent to maintain
    proper battery voltage during programming.
    Page 3 August 2011 Bulletin No.: 11195A
    2. Reprogram the engine control module (ECM). Refer to SI and Service Programming
    System (SPS) documentation for programming instructions, if required.
    2.1 Connect the MDI to the vehicle. Connect the MDI to the programming terminal with
    a cable (USB or LAN).
    2.2 Select J2534 MDI and Reprogram ECU from the Select Diagnostic Tool and
    Programming Process screen.
    2.3 Select ECM Engine Control Module—Programming from the Supported Controllers
    screen.
    2.4 Follow the on-screen instructions.
    3. Clear all DTCs.
    4. If the vehicle has been delivered to the customer, replace the camshaft position actuator
    solenoid valves. Refer to Engine Controls - Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid Valve
    Replacement in SI.
    5. CALIFORNIA, CONNECTICUT, MARYLAND, MASSACHUSETTS, MAINE, OREGON,
    VERMONT, & WASHINGTON vehicles only: Install a Recall Identification Label.
    RECALL IDENTIFICATION LABEL - California/Connecticut/Maryland/Massachusetts/Maine/
    Oregon/Vermont/Washington Vehicles Only
    Place a Recall Identification Label on each vehicle corrected in accordance with the
    instructions outlined in this Product Recall Bulletin. Each label provides a space to
  • ally2002ally2002 Member Posts: 3
    I know absolutely nothing about cars. What I do know is that my car only being 2 years old should not be having these problems. My car kept stalling and finally would only start but not move. I had to have it towed to the nearest GM dealer. After being there for two weeks I finally got it back. They were very vague to what the problem was. They only told me it was an internal transmission problem and that I don't have to worry about the cost as it was all covered under the Powertrain warranty. I have literally have had it back for 5 days and my air conditioner no longer blows cold air, it shakes if I go over 65 mph and it sounds like a diesel truck when it is running. The cause of my problem was : 3-5 reverse and 4-5-6 clutch housing. I have an automatic, I am not sure what the clutch has to do with anything. After reading other posts about the Chevy Equinox, I am highly upset GM isn't doing anything to help us. Can anyone tell me if my air conditioner blowing warm, my car shaking if going over 65 mph and it sounding like a diesel truck has any relation to the transmission problem?
    So I'm a regular poster here. I have, in the last six months (currently 45,000 mi), received a new engine, new cam actuator, new fuel pump, new oxygen sensor and new flywheel. Today, I turned on the A/C, and it is only blowing slightly cool air. Back into the shop tomorrow, for what must be the 10th or 12th time since October. I have never cracked 20 MPG. I am about to be laid off and cannot afford to trade it in - I'm stuck with it. What's next - maybe the wheels will fly off on the highway?

I live in NJ and received a letter from an attorney advertising a class action suit against Chevy for this model. I'm going to look into it. (Individual Lemon Law is only the first 18 months, but class action does not have that limit.)
  • alanasimlickalanasimlick Member Posts: 1
    Ok...Enough is enough..The 2010 Chevy Equinox is a horrible vehicle...GM knows it...they pretend not to...it is criminal what they are putting customers through. My salesman told me yesterday to dump the car! I have had all the problems i see posted here and then some..its time to get together everyone...who is in?
  • llamitiellamitie Member Posts: 13
    100% agreed. I just traded mine in. Took a $2k hit just to get rid of it before my extended warranty was up. Bought a VW Routan which I love btw. And my payments are less! Anyway - Ive been very vocal and have been tortured by my equinox enough that I would still be interested in joining a lawsuit. Please let me/us know how we can help. I called my chevy service guy to tell him the news that we were breaking up. He was sad but told me I did the right thing too and that the VW is a great car!!!! Too bad he cant say that about his own vehicles.
  • dougstammdougstamm Member Posts: 2
    I'm in the midst of an engine replacement! Timing chains needed adjusting 9 months ago. 3 weeks ago I'm driving down the highway and the the car slows and won't go above 55. No noise, no odor, no dashboard warning lights, nothing. The car just won't go past 55. I knew something was up so I drive it directly to the dealer. Next day . . they call and tell me it's timing chains again only this time they did interior engine damage and the engine needs to be replaced! I'm three weeks into a car rental! Add my name to the list!!!
  • michelle_smichelle_s Member Posts: 6
    Count me in!!!!!!
  • ashilynne5576ashilynne5576 Member Posts: 2
    I have had my 2010 Chevy Equinox for almost one year now. I should have known it was bad news the day I bought it! On the drive home from the dealership (3 hours from home) the check engine light came on. After three trips to my local dealership and a new O2 sensor I thought my troubles were over. One year and 10,000 miles later its nothing but problems. I just hit 60,000 miles and I started noticing a loud idle/knocking. I change my oil religiously every 3000 miles and I pay extra for the 5000 mile oil. At exactly 3000 miles we checked my oil and it was nearly BONE DRY!! We changed it and added 5 quarts. 1800 miles later (yesterday) we checked it and its more than a quart low. I'm not sure where I am losing it because its not showing a leak when it's in the driveway. I called Chevy and they said I have to bring it in for an oil consumption test, but after reading all these reviews I am not looking forward to this and wish I could get out of this car. We hate it so much we've considered voluntarily defaulting just to be hassle free but that would be silly.
  • esperinosesperinos Member Posts: 18
    It is absolutely incredible the number of complaints about the 2010 Equinox, and all describing exactly the same thing I went through - 2 major engine service in a month, never was right. Traded it in a little over a year ago (with a loss) for a Jeep Grand Cherokee - 46000 miles so far, and no problems at all. I have said before, there is some fundamental design flaw with that particular engine. It is not coincidence. Does anyone know if the 2011, 2012 and later models are plagued with this? If not, it means they recognized the problem and fixed it, but left all of us who own the 2010 model holding the bag. I still have one - my wife drives it about town, only 30000 miles and 3 years old, but I have been changing the oil frequently (IGNORING the "oil life" indicator, which is a joke). Once I pay this one off, I will be looking to trade it in also. There are a lot of engines that need to be TOTALLY replaced - that's the problem - too costly, and it would be too embarrassing to GM and the government which still owns a good chunk of it. A class action suit may be our only weapon. :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
    In my last post I stated I was contacted by a lawyer about a class action. Turns out it is not a class action, but, because my powertrain is still under warranty, I can file a breach of warranty lawsuit (sort of like a Lemon Law suit for cars that are beyond the "age limit"). So I am doing that. Every state has different laws, so try to find a "Lemon Law" lawyer in your own state and see if you have any recourse! Or see this site (Chevy will probably find a way to delete my post because of this): www.lemonlaw.com. Good luck, everyone!
  • richmarichma Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2013
    75000 k later, 2 timing chains,all coils,high pressure fuel something,belt tensioner,abs sensors,wheel bearing,control module,big time oil consumption for pass 2 years and GM says normal.
    Wondered sometimes if would ever get me home with stalling and dashboard lighting up like a Christmas tree. Hard start and stall on Thursday June 6,2013 and just manage to get to my dealership, sounded like machine gun fire on acceleration all the way down.
    Like every 1 else waiting for a new engine that should be in this Wednesday under warranty.
    Better hurry up boys and girls at this rate the 2.4 engine will be on back order with all the replacements.lol
    Don't understand why GM charges full rates for oil changes since I'm always missing 2 quarts.lol
    Nice try on lowering the % on the software for the oil life monitor system.
    Still won't fix the defect on the ENGINES.
    Dip stick was bone dry on Thursday even with software update(recall)
  • goldilocks2goldilocks2 Member Posts: 3
    Amen!!!! I purchased my Equinox new in 2010. At 47,000 miles it needed a new drive train (same rough engine and near stalling everyone else has talked about) and air conditioner condenser (the latter of which was beginning to make odd sounds). At 62,000 miles I got a new engine because the second drive train had already gone bad, even with changing the oil at the dealership every 3000 miles. Fortunately, the drive train was under warranty. At 68,000 miles the actuator in the air conditioning unit began going bad, making snapping sounds when the temperature was changed. That is $130 part I am told. We will change it when it no longer works. At 69,000 miles the windshield wiper transmission (didn't even know there was a transmission for the windshield wipers) blew as my husband and I drove through torrential rain on an major interstate highway. We had to cross three lanes of traffic with no wipers to make it to the shoulder. We were lucky were weren't hit by another car or 18-wheeler as there was so much traffic on the road that day. This is the first American car I have owned since 1988. It likely will be the last. GM should not be permitted to manufacture such poor quality using our money!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    That also works for people who buy cars out of state and thus may not qualify for their own state's lemon law.

Most people seem to want someone else to initiate a class action and hope they wind up with something more than a coupon in three or four years. Better to jump in and do your own thing imho.
    I have a question, I'm still getting the run around at my dealer like everyone else has talked about. They keep replacing stuff under warranty to make it run right which I know in the end it's going to need a new motor, but my question is since the 2010 equinox's fuel injectors are not covered in the warranty , can I take it to any ship to get them replaced? Or will that void my power train warranty? The dealer keeps telling me and the gm care center that my injectors need replaced but they want to charge me 1200 dollars to do it, which is an ungodly amount because I can buy the injectors for 200 dollars and have them put in somewhere else a lot cheaper. I know this dealership is just trying to make money off of me but if I can get the injectors replaced cheaper somewhere else I know in just a matter of time that check engine light will be back on for something else. But they won't do the oil consumption test till those injectors are replaced because they keep saying that's why it uses 5 qts of oil in 1800 miles is because of injectors but I know that's a load of crap.