Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2010 Chevy Equinox Problems

Comments

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,078
    Hi nox123,

We hope you're enjoying your new Terrain! It sounds like you're on the right path to taking good care of your vehicle. Keep up the good work! If there's ever anything you have questions about please don't hesitate to reach out to us.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • lauridsdlauridsd Posts: 15
    I have been having the "Service Power Steering Soon" DIC message and the "ECO Mode switch circuit high voltage" issues intermittently as well. I've had the issue for years and the dealer has never been able to reproduce (as by the time I come in for a scheduled appointment, the CE light and DIC message are both gone.) The did charge me once to replace the actual ECO Mode switch, which at the time I thought was bogus, since a switch would not seem to be able to cause a high voltage situation, but I let it go. I got the "Service Power Steering" DIC message again yesterday, and the CE light was on this morning, so I drove straight to the dealer with the CE light still on, and they came up with: "The electronic brake control module has a bad ground and needs to be replaced." Cost: $419!

If this doesn't fix the issue, I am going to be...disappointed, to put it mildly.

I will let you know how it goes.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,451
    edited August 2013
    From reading scattered reports here and there (like on warrantyweek.com), it seems that a 2 to 3% failure rate for car parts is pretty good. Less is better of course, but the companies have to set aside money (in their accounting) to cover warranty costs, and higher rates affect their balance sheet.

And like you say, 1 or 2% isn't a lot on a percentage basis but when there are lots of sales, the actual numbers seem high. And it really stinks when the issue hits your car!

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Thanks for posting your letter from GM.
    I made a copy of it for my file, but I'm wondering if any others have gotten this letter. I have a 2010 and so far no letter from GM..
  • knw82knw82 Posts: 3
    I haven't gotten a letter on for my 2010 either. Which doesn't matter because i know these issues exist. I have had to replace the high pressure hose this year and just had the engine repaired.
  • franfolfranfol Posts: 3
    I sold my 2010 equinox and bought a Great Honda Pilot that I love so much! This is a super "luxury car that drives like a gem. As soon as I sold the Chevy I received a letter from a lemon law attorney on the 2010 equinox. I followed through and sent them all my invoices from the dealer for the last three years. I can still get a settlement without owning the car. Now just waiting to see what transpires.

I will keep all updated on any progress.
  • received the letter but the pump issue had already occured and repaired by the dealer in 2012, mechanic said they alreasdy knew the situation back then so I am surprised that the letter comes out in 2013 only....
  • kwnoxcakwnoxca Posts: 8
    I got this letter 2 wks ago. Is this related to the engine pinging issue? my 10' equinox constantly has this issue. the dealer updated ECM approx. 1 yr ago but it didn't work. now they insists that's the inherent noise from DI engines even when I took this letter to them. I guess they'd rather wait until the engine completely fails?!
  • I also received this letter last week. I am currently on my 4th timing chain and would have loved to have this earlier. I am now past the mileage listed on the letter to have it fixed by. I am going into the dealership tomorrow for another issue (wheel bearing replacement), and will bring my letter to see what they can do about it. I really would love to get this replaced and covered by GM as I do not want to cover this out of my own pocket. My letter stated to have the repairs done by 193,000km (in Canada), but I am at 206,000 now myself (I was at 205,000km when I received the letter - they were just teasing me apparently). I am starting to get that loud engine noise again (that preceded all of my other timing chain replacements). I did have my engine replaced at 135,000km, but the timing chain and guide pins were not part of that replacement. I cannot wait to get out of this car!
  • elli2elli2 Posts: 14
    Was everyone supposed to get this? I have a 2010 and did not. My engine was already replaced at 43,000 miles and it's running okay, but I don't like the fact that pseudo-recall letters are going out and I haven't gotten one.
  • ray80ray80 Posts: 1,251
    I have seen elsewhere others have received the letter a various times, one today. I should imagine they will send you one also. If you have your vehicle registered at my.gm.com you should see the info on extended warranty there
  • cjgacjga Posts: 17
    I have not received a letter but I think I should. I had the terrible noise issue plus the HVAC issue. Parts were replaced less than a month ago, now I am seeing the need to aid oil. My oil life shows 79 % of life left. The dealer put in 4 quarts on 7/23/2013. I've filled up my car twice since then and today I added a quart and half of oil. Last week I added nearly a quart. The oil light never comes on to show low oil, but It was surely low. I have purchased four new GM cars before, but nothing like this Equinox 2010. By the way I use Moboil 1 oil.
  • I just got back from the dealer, the letter is based on 2010 and 2011 engines (2.4L 4 cylinder). When they replaced my engine with a 2012 engine, these components mentioned in the letter are changed as well. So no need for me to have these done. So if you have had the engine replaced with a 2012 or 2013 you will not have to have the repairs mentioned in the letter (according to my dealership). They actually had the mechanic go in and check (no charge to me) to double check.
  • duetsuduetsu Posts: 36
    DO NOT RELY on the oil life monitor!!!!!! I can't stress this enough... keep checking your oil. I had the same issue - contact GM customer service and get a case file going. Get your dealer to do an oil consumption test - a necessity that has to be completed to prove the engine problem and get GM to replace the motor.
    At the end, as my dealer was doing the last oil consumption test ( they were checking the oil every 800 miles for 5 different trials), the oil pan developed a crack in it. Also keep an eye on what the dipstick shows - during the last test, when I was checking the oil, there was a white, snotty type of substance on the stick.
    Its a hassle I know, but GM in the end stood behind the power train warranty and my dealer installed a new engine.
    Hello,

We are sorry to hear of the issues you're experiencing with your Equinox, and understand the frustration this may cause you. We would also be more than happy to contact your dealership regarding your concerns. If there's also any additional recall information we can look into for you please let us know.

Thanks

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • Have all the problems stated here. Loud engine, burns a lot of oil and weird throttle response - like a clunking and hesitation(at times). Gone to the dealer about it and taken it in every time we get a letter. Its a 2010, bought in 2011 with 22k on it. It only has 44k on it now. TODAY- leaving work going about 35 to get out of the complex- NO throttle response at all. speed went down to about 22 and no response from the pedal. Had to pull over, shut the car off and restart- then seems to work. Called the dealership on the way home (hurd.com) and they said warranty has expired unless drivetrain. But- been there before with this issue- his response- not THIS particular issue. I said its the same damn issue just getting worse. HELP! I need a letter too!
    jim
  • My car did the same thing. I had to greet a new throttle body, which I may add is NOT covered by the warranty. It costed me $900. I needed a letter like yesterday. My car is giving me the blues. It sounds like a diesel truck, Ihave to keep putting oil in it, it stails on. . me, and now my air is going in and out. I will be doing a voluntary repo next week. Cause I went to trade it and the most anyone will give me was $5500 I owe twice as much that ain't. I can't keep riding around knowing gas is getting in my engine.
    It is so odd.....all these same conditions......What went wrong Chevy????
    Hello Coolrodz,

I certainly can understand the frustrations associated with a vehicle not operating as desired. If you would send me, your full name, address, phone, VIN and the name of the dealership you are working with to socialmedia@gm.com (attn: Marlea) with a brief summary of your concerns. I‘ll do my best to look into your concern and find you a satisfactory resolution. I look forward to your response and working with you.

Marlea W.
    GM Customer Service
  • djm2djm2 Posts: 705
    I have a 2010 2.4 engine in a Chevrolet LTZ Malibu. ----- The Malibu engine is NOT a "direct injection engine," and there in lies the problem with the Equinox engine. ----- My Chevrolet runs very well, and I am very satisfied with both the quality of the vehicle, and the performance of the 2.4 engine. ----- Too bad GM did not put the same engine in the Equinox. ----- In addition, too bad GM did not take a "proactive action," when they found out that the Equinox engine had some major problems. ------ The equinox is a beautiful vehicle, and it could have gone "head to head" with the imports, but with the "engine problems," and the lack of a "pro-active approach" to the correction of the engine problems by GM, this has diminished the "luster of the vehicle!" ----- Too bad that the management of GM was so "short sighted" in terms of customer service. ------- Since I put on a lot of highway mileage in a VERY short period of time, I am always looking for a replacement vehicle. ------ I constantly monitor Edmunds in terms of engine longevity and vehicle quality. I will take a hard look at the 2014 Malibu and the 2014 Impala 4 cylinder vehicles. ----- I believe that the 2013 Malibu has the 2.5 four cylinder, so I will be watching the reports on this engine on Edmunds over time. ------ If the 2.5 engine performs well, then I will visit my dealer for a test ride of the two vehicles. If the equinox also shares the same engine I will also include this vehicle. ------ QUESTION: ---- Why would I consider a vehicle that has "on-going engine problems" that GM refuses to deal with in a professional manner. ---- The "suits" at GM do not understand that: ----- 1.) People share information on the net. ---- 2.) People what a "high quality product" for their hard earned dollars. ---- 3.) People want to be treated in a professional manner when something goes wrong. ---- 4.) People want any warranty problem handled efficiently and without inconvenience to the customer. ----- When a problem occurs, it is the obligation of GM to get the needed information to the dealership along with the necessary parts to correct the issue in a timely / professional manner. Telling a service customer that "GM is working on a fix" does not help the customer with a problem vehicle. (They are driving the vehicle on a daily basis while GM comes up with a "fix!") ------ QUESTION: ---- Why is this so hard for GM management to understand? ----- This is not only a GM problem! ---- Ford and Chrysler are also guilty of this "poor quality of after the sale service." ----- I could purchase and / or lease any vehicle of my choice from a foreign to a domestic. ---- "After sale service" is a number one issue with me because my vehicles are my office! ------- The dealership must be able to deliver timely / professional service that is supported by the manufacturer. ---- I will purchase any nameplate that can deliver this kind of service. In return, I will give the dealership all of my service business. ------- Best regards to all! -------- Dwayne
    So well said.................You should be in the front office of GM
    Thank you for your very kind response to my posting. ---- I appreciate your support. ------ The secret to "success" for any vehicle manufacturer is to put the customer first in all of their decisions. ------- If they do that, ----- the customers will support the nameplate! ----- Have a great day! ------ Dwayne
  • thanks for all that. well said. I was looking online for cars and avoided anything that had the 'direct' engine in it. Actually considering a Ford for the first time...OI!
  • nox123nox123 Posts: 76
    With respect to GM service and the owners responsibility....Owners carry a large part of reponsibility when they purchase any vehical or product and if you do not follow the Mfg warranty plan and service guide lines you will no doubt have issues when there are serious problems that require Mfg warranty backing. Being said; I also experience issues with my 2010 4cyl Nox including replacment of Timing chain, Fuel Pump and various reprograming for other components.. The GM service I received was excellent; there was never any cost for any warranty work and I always was offerd a loaner car and no nonsese just good normal business. This 2010 vehical was recently traded for anothe New GM 2013 SUV and everthing is just fine with New Terrain and service. Follow the basic instructions and let GM make the warranty repairs.
    I am VERY happy that you had an outstanding experience with your warranty service. That is the way it should be! ---- But many people on this board did not have the same warranty experience. When a dealer tells a customer that "they cannot duplicate the problem," --- or --- that "GM is working on a fix" they are just stalling the customer with regards to a repair, and that is VERY unprofessional on the part of both the "dealer" and the "manufacturer." ---- They are "using the customer" while the warranty is running out! I would never accept these excuses for a lack of warranty service. I would NOT drive a vehicle that was operating in an unsafe manner. The dealer has no legal right to force me to operate a vehicle that is NOT operating properly, and as such, putting my life in danger. I would legally force the dealer to keep the car in their service department until they fix the vehicle while they provide me with a "no charge loaner vehicle" of the same type! That is what I am entitled to as a customer as long as I maintain the vehicle as described in the owner's manual. ------ Some dealers are not as professional as others, and they like to cut corners when dealing with warranty repairs! ----- The bottom line is that customers in many cases are being abused by both the manufacturer and the dealers! ----- GM knows what is wrong with the 2.4 direct injection engine, and they know the fix for the problem, but are they willing to take the necessary action to make things right for the customer? ---- After reading the postings on this board, everyone can make up their own mine! The answer to this question is very obvious. --------- All the best to everyone on this board! ------- Dwayne
    I understand. Chevy just stepped in and helped me....and I hope that I can continue to say that.
  • jpfjpf Posts: 496
    With all due respect, perhaps GM can not fix the problems with the 2.4 direct injection engine. The design flaws may be so expensive to fix that the engine requires a major re-engineering or redesign. Instead GM waits until a new engine has been designed that hopefully fixes the problem.
    QUESTIONS: ---- What happens to the owners of the defective vehicles? ---- Are they forced to drive these unsafe vehicles while GM comes up with a fix? ----- Is GM obligated to install the "new and improved engine?" ----- Where does the "customer" fit into the engine fix? ---- If there is a "design flaw in the 2.4 Direct Injection Engine," then GM is responsible for installing an engine that operates properly, like the 2.4 that is in the 2010 Chevrolet LTZ Malibu! ----- (It is not a direct injection engine, but it runs! I know this for a fact because I own this vehicle!)---- GM cannot simply walk away from these customers, and retain the positive reputation of the Equinox line! ---- People have invested their hard earned money in these vehicles with the expectation of getting years of high quality service. ------- GM has an "ethical obligation" to these customers! ------- Best regards! ---- Dwayne
  • I received my letter today.
    My 2010 has 50,000 miles and so far none of issues the letter covers.
    I do have occasional noise on startup for which there is a tech bulletin, of course the three times I've had it in they could not duplicate. Got it on video though.
    Maybe someday that video and 5 bucks will get me a cup of coffee in the dealers waiting room.
    You should take your "video" of the "start-up noise," and show it to the Service Manager of the dealership! ------ You have the proof! ------ It is up to the "service department" to find the solution to the problem. ---- I service my 2.4 every 2500 miles. ----- If my engine should develop a "start up noise" my vehicle would be in the dealership immediately, and GM would not have a leg to stand on with regards to the extended warranty since I service the oil & filter twice as often as recommended. ----- We, as customers, must recognize that manufacturers do not want to do warranty work "if" they can possibly avoid the process. ---- They will put more effort into "avoiding the warranty work" than actually doing the work! ---- It is all a numbers game. This is why it is so important to keep all of your service records at the selling dealership, and not use aftermarket oil & filter services. This will simply give them excuses to void a warranty or not perform the warranty work. ----- All the best to everyone! ----- Dwayne