Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Chevy Equinox Problems

Comments

• nox123nox123 Member Posts: 76
    Number # 1 if you purchased this 2010 Equinox from anyone other than a GM Dealer that was a huge mistake on your part. Number #2 if you purchased this vehical without checking the vehical history report or "dealer work order reports" these will tell a story about vehical service and also accidents; this would be another huge mistake buying any used vehical! In addition...letting a brand x service company install aftermarket engine parts is a total warranty killer withany vehical manufacture....You can not expect any car manufacture to back up the vehical drive line issues with out doing your part for the required vehical service....All service work needs documentation! Being said; checking out a used vehical today is very easy stuff with all the dealer service documentation and other vehical condition reports that are available TODAY!
  • djm2djm2 Member Posts: 712
    I would like to thank you for taking the time to respond to my posting. Please be assured that your efforts are GREATLY appreciated.

I think that it is VERY important in our discussions about this vehicle to stay focused on the issues and who is responsible for the issues.

1.) GM designed and manufactured the Chevrolet Equinox with all it's problems.
    2.) The GM dealer network is responsible for servicing these vehicles, and repairing these vehicles under the terms and conditions of the new vehicle warranty, and the GM extended warranty if the customer purchased the extended warranty.

The customer's responsibility is to service the vehicle in a "professional manner" at the proper intervals using the proper fluids and parts as stated in the owner's manual. ---- It is also the customer's responsibility to keep an accurate record of all service done to the vehicle. That is why I make it a point to have "ALL OF MY SERVICE" performed at the selling Chevrolet Dealer, and I service my vehicle more often than recommended in the "owner's manual!" Should something happen to my vehicle's engine or transmission, ALL OF MY RECORDS are in one location to be accessed by GM through their computer network!

The 2010 Chevrolet 2.4 direct injection four cylinder Equinox is a problem vehicle. I do not think anyone on this board would argue with that statement! I also believe that both GM and the Chevrolet dealer network knows that the four cylinder Equinox is a problem vehicle, and I also think that they ARE NOT sharing all the information with regards to this issue with the owner's of the vehicle. ----- The defective fuel pump issue, the thinning of the oil and the timing chain issue are just the tip of the "engine iceberg!" There is a "possible design flaw in the 2.4 direct injection engine," and this is a "big can of worms" the GM does not want to expose. ------ Once the engine oil is thinned out by gasoline, the ability to lubricate the engine parts is decreased. This destroys the main and rod bearings, the cam shaft bearings and the piston rings and cylinder wall running surface. ---- To install just a new fuel pump and a timing chain assembly and send the customer on their way at best is just a temporary fix, and in a short period of time the engine will most probably be an "oil burner!" ------ The correct fix would be to install a complete long block with a new / improved fuel pump that would not allow this gasoline leakage to occur again.

Purchasing the Equinox vehicles on the Used Car Market, whether at a Chevrolet Dealer or an independent lot, is a risky purchase because:

1.) The Customer does not know for sure how the vehicle was maintained.
    2.) The Customer does not know if the vehicle has experienced the "timing chain / fuel pump failure.

I would like to know "IF" the new / improved fuel pump holds up over time! If the pump is the heart of the problem, and the pump has been redesigned so as not to fail in the same manner, then there is hope for the Equinox line. But on the other side of the issue, GM has the ethical obligation to make things right with the customers that have these problem vehicles. As long as the customer has maintained the vehicle in a responsible manner, GM should make things right with the vehicle.

After reading this board for a period of time, and being a part of the interactions with the great people on this site, I am starting to take a "second hard look" at my 2010 2.4 four cylinder LTZ Malibu. ----- (My engine is not a direct injection engine.) When I purchased this vehicle new it was a choice between a "top of the line Equinox four cylinder," and the "2.4 Malibu." ------ THANK GOD I chose the Malibu. While I have an OUTSTANDING SERVICING DEALER, and an outstanding vehicle in terms of operation at this point in time, I am starting to be a little concerned about would I could be facing "IF" my Malibu would start to develop some engine issues. QUESTION: ---- Would GM try to give me a "hard time" in terms of making repairs under the terms and conditions of their extended warranty, every though I service this vehicle twice as often, (every 2,500 miles), rather than at 5,000 miles as stated in the owner's manual? ------ This is starting me to think very seriously about my next vehicle purchase. ----- Do I need this potential aggravation? At the present time my vehicle is at 47,000+ miles and it's extended warranty goes to 100,000 miles. ----- The question becomes should I dump the vehicle at 90,000, and purchase a Toyota since there seems to be a lack of concern on the part of GM with regards to "customer satisfaction?" ------- YES, the dealers are VERY concerned about their CSI index, but how about GM also being concerned about their CSI index with their customer base. ---- This whole issue is very sad situation for GM, the selling dealers and the customers. ---- It is going to end up hurting both GM and the Equinox line, and as the result, the Equinox is going the way of the Saturn Line. ------- Another failure that did not have to happen! ----- All the best to everyone. ----- Dwayne.
  • cgoode3cgoode3 Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for your post nox123,
    I admit mistake in purchasing a used car from a different dealer, but at the time I was in a pinch and needed to trade in my 2008 Honda Civic for something larger since I was starting a family.

There are actually laws that protect customers from "warranty killers". Read this: "There are also warranty issues related to the installation of aftermarket products and/or services on a vehicle that is still under a new car warranty. Often people install aftermarket products for adding customizing features or they use certain services for vehicle maintenance. The Magnuson Moss Warranty Act addresses such issues. This law states that if a customer installs an aftermarket product (it could be a fluid, filter, hard part, software...virtually anything that was not installed on or in the vehicle from the factory when it was new) and if the vehicle fails as a result of the installation or use of the aftermarket product/service, the carmaker cannot arbitrarily deny a warranty claim and/or void the new car warranty because of the installation or use of the aftermarket product, but must prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that the failure was indeed caused by the installation or use of the aftermarket product. The reason this law was put into place is because carmakers were arbitrarily voiding car warranties and refusing warranty service because the customer had installed an aftermarket products/services. Since there was no required burden of proof on the carmaker, consumers were hung out to dry. The Magnuson Moss Warranty Act forced the carmaker to prove that the failure was due to the aftermarket product. The law still stands today within the U.S."

Chevrolet did not prove "beyond the shadow of doubt" that the aftermarket installation of the part was the cause of any damage to my car. In fact - it probably saved it from TOTAL engine failure.
    Thank you for your reply Amber,
    We will wait and see if our dealership will honor a partial reimbursement for our timing chain repairs as stated in the recall letter. If after the 6 weeks quoted to us, we have not received a response, I will contact you directly.
    Thank you.
  • jterribrilljterribrill Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a used 2010 Chevy Equinox in March. It has really been nothing but problems. I have had it into the dealer (that I bought it from) at least 5 times on this issue and each time they essentially say they can't figure out the problem. I have left it there overnight two different times so they could part it inside to connect up to their sensors to figure out the problem.

I took it there last night and went in to the dealer this morning. I asked for a technician to come out to the car so he could see what happened. He came out, and I showed him and his comment was "that's not how it should be running."

The dealer called me this evening to tell me they had checked out "everything" and didn't find any problems with the car. WAIT, NO PROBLEMS? Yeah, no problems. Umm. ok. So I told them I wasn't coming to get it and I wanted them to take another look at it tomorrow.

After looking around the Internet, it appears this is not just an isolated issue with my one Equinox but rather part of a much larger issue with engines and the fuel system.

My concern is that it is causing the engine damage, and even if they do figure out what's wrong, permanent damage will have been done. What can I do? If the dealer doesn't acknowledge the problem, what are my options. Pretty frustrated to say the least!
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello jterribrill,

I am sorry you are experiencing trouble with your Chevy Equinox. I understand your frustration with the issue not being resolved. I would like the opportunity to look into your situation. Please email us at socialmedia(at)gm.com and include your contact information, VIN, mileage and the name and location of the dealer you have been working with.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    GM Customer Care
    Welcome to the "World of Equinox!" --------- I have been following this issue because in 2010 I almost purchase a new 2.4 direction injection Equinox. ---- Instead I purchased a 2010 Chevrolet 2.4 non direct injection LTZ Malibu. Everyone who has studied history, knows what sunk the Titanic Cruise Ship, and anyone who sells, services and / or manufactured the 2010 Chevrolet Equinox knows and understands what is causing the problems, and how to fix the problems. -------- The "all important question is" do they "want to admit their design errors and fix the problem?" ----- Read all the postings on this great board, and you will start to get the "flavor of the problem," and what you are now up against as the proud owner of the Equinox. ----- The engine problems were caused by the failure of the "high pressure direct injection pump" which allowed raw gasoline into the crankcase oil. This gasoline thinned out the oil, and the engine was damaged because of a lack of lubrication. ----- The bottom line is that the engine needs to be replaced. The question is; ---- how do you get the manufacturer to admit their design error, and make good on the repair? ----- My Malibu had a software issue in it's early life and GM and the dealer fix the problem, and the vehicle has been very good since that issue. But on the other side of the coin, I could have very well been an owner of the 2010 Equinox, and as such, I would have been in this situation. ------ This has left a very bad taste in my mouth about the quality of GM products, and I am going to think long and hard about my next purchase even though I have a GREAT GM DEALER in terms of service. ----- Read these postings and you will get a "birds eye view" of the total problem. ----- All the best to you! -------- Dwayne
  • duetsuduetsu Member Posts: 36
    I am the owner of a 2010 Equinox and have had all of the issues with my car & have posted my many problems and updates also. For the record this included the computer defrost module replacement, a timing chain replacement, the high pressure fuel pump, a cracked oil pan, the lumbar driver's support, rear hatch latch and and last but certainly not least engine replacement.

I have had nothing but excellent service by the service dept at the dealership in fixing the problems. They have been superior in treating me well. I had all of the service work and oil changes done in their shop so that everything was documented. I did regular oil changes at about 3,000 miles as my dad always told me that an oil change is cheap maintenance for your car.

When the problems started, GM stood behind the warranty and I was given a loaner to use during all the repairs, at no cost to me.

Was it frustrating? Hell yes. Was I aggravated and pissed that a brand new car was having these problems, oh hell yes! BUT in the end the engine was replaced and this new engine, which the service manager assures me is a 2013 4 cyl engine direct from the factory does not have these design/part issues. I can only believe he is correct.

I recently received the letter from GM about the engine/pump/timing chain issues. This letter stated that those items would be covered under an extended warranty to 120k miles or 10 years. I contacted GM because when my engine was replaced I was told this new engine would only be covered under the balance of the powertrain warranty, which for me was about 48k miles or 22 months.
    My question for GM was this replacement engine now warrantied to 120k miles or 10 years? The Gm rep I spoke with had not had this question posed to them and after conferencing with the manager of the service dept who did my engine work, they told me that YES the new engine would be covered for the additional miles and years FOR THE STATED PROBLEMS IN THE LETTER ONLY.
    My takeaway from all of this is that you HAVE to have a dealership who is willing to listen to the customer and do what is right. I would like to add that the dealer doing all of my repair work was NOT the dealer I bought the car from. THAT dealer's service dept had the WORST customer service and when I contacted GM about the problems I had with them (replacing the defrost computer module -this was a factory recall that the service dept just kept resetting the codes on instead of replacing it) the GM Customer service rep recommended I find another dealer to work on the problem. I am so glad I did.
    The dealer I bought the car from was located in a large city and the dealer who did all the repair work was in a much smaller community. Maybe small town business try harder to please customers. Maybe they care more about repeat customers. I know that I will choose them first when deciding where to buy my next vehicle.
  • lincris08lincris08 Member Posts: 2
    I bought a new to me 2010 Equinox LT2 with the 2.4L 4 cylinder motor.... It was a GM certified used car, had just over 38k. I've had it for less than 2 months. Since then I have experienced problems with excessive oil consumption, a loud diesel like motor that only gets louder, and a sharp decline in fuel economy and performance.

I started digging around on the internet and have found an open can of worms, lots of people are having the same issues. I found the GM service bulletin explaining the problem and suggested fix. I took my car in to the dealership and they confirmed that it need work.

They did not replace my engine but they did replace the pistons, rings, timing chain, and water pump. I received it back yesterday morning. The engine is still fairly loud and sounds like a muffled version of what it was prior to the fix. I noticed that it was leaking oil like a seive. I took it back in to the dealer yesterday afternoon and they said it was my oil pan, they didn't seal it properly. They supposedly fixed it. This morning there is still a little bit of oil on the driveway from where it was parked overnight. A spot about 3 inches in diameter.

Do you think they fixed all of my issues?

Has anyone else with this same problem gotten their car back and found it to still be kinda loud with muffled diesel sound?
  • brianb6brianb6 Member Posts: 2
    After I had my 2011 2.4 fixed for the diseling sound. I had to bring it back 3 times for oil leaks. It still smelled like oil the day I traded it in. I hated this vehicle due to engine issues. Imperial chevrolet in Mendon, MA couldnt fix it either. The Service Manager was mad at me for disturbing him, when it was his job to fix it and make it righton behalf of Chevrolet.
  • brianb6brianb6 Member Posts: 2
    After I had my 2011 2.4 fixed for the diseling sound. I had to bring it back 3 times for oil leaks. It still smelled like oil the day I traded it in. I hated this vehicle due to engine issues. Imperial chevrolet in Mendon, MA couldnt fix it either. The Service Manager was mad at me for disturbing him, when it was his job to fix it and make it right on behalf of Chevrolet. They didnt do rings and pistons, they did a timing chain and tensioner for me. SOunded way better, but thats when the oiol leaks and poor fuel mileage began.
    Brianb6:

They only did half the job! ---- Did you have a "high pressure fuel pump" that leaked raw gasoline into your engine oil that destroyed your timing chain assembly? ----- Once you lost the "lubricating quality of the oil," due to gasoline in the engine crankcase, this condition damaged the cylinder walls, piston rings and main bearings. ----- Your engine became an oil pumper. ---- Oil was pouring through the maine bearings and splashing on the cylinder walls. ---- The damaged rings and cylinder walls could not control the excess oil and the PCV system was over loaded with wet oil fumes. ----- YOU WERE BURNING OIL! ---- The question is; ---- does GM and the dealer really care about the customer base? --- Only YOU can answer that question since YOU were the recipient of the customer service from the dealership. ------ I have a 2010 Chevrolet Vehicle and a 2007 Toyota vehicle, and I have been following the situation of the Equinox. From a customer's relations point of view, GM has DROPPED THE BALL BIG TIME! While I like my current 2.4 Malibu, I do not think that I would purchase another GM vehicle when it comes time to replace the Chevrolet. This might change "if" I see some "positive customer relations" coming out of GM with regards to this issue. I almost purchased an Equinox in 2010! ---- THANK GOD I DID NOT MAKE THAT MISTAKE! ---- If I had one of these vehicles I would have magnetic sighs on the vehicle describing the quality of "my vehicle," and the lack of professional service. --- (Not all Equinox vehicles, but just my vehicle!) ---- I would park my vehicle in VERY public places so as to get maximum exposure. ----- I believe that a customer has the right to expect a high quality product for his / her hard earned money. If something happens to the product, and the vehicle has been properly maintained and is under warranty, the manufacturer has the obligation to repair the vehicle in a professional manner. --- No patch work! ----- Just some thoughts to consider. ----- Please be advised that I am NOT giving any advice, but rather I am just sharing ideas. ------ Every owner must make up their own mind! ----- Dwayne
  • lsb1955lsb1955 Member Posts: 17
    No, they didn't. They finally had to replace my engine. We had to change dealers twice to get a decent service department.
    The important questions are; -----"Why does a customer have to take their vehicle to two (2) dealers to get a vehicle repaired under warranty?"---- "Doesn't GM see something wrong with this picture?" ----- I guess not! ---- Dwayne
  • lincris08lincris08 Member Posts: 2
    I took the equinox back to the dealer on Friday afternoon and was able to speak with the customer service manager. He looked my car over and ran it through the paces. Ran it through the rpm's and said the engine was still exhibiting too much bottom end engine noise. He said even though they replaced the pistons, rings, timing chain, and water pump that the engine was still messed up. I politely requested to see/hear/feel a brand new 2014 equinox with the same engine and man what a difference from mine! The service manager said I need to call in first thing Monday and schedule an appointment to bring it back in. I told him about all the info I'd found online about peeps getting NEW engines put in instead of a rebuild. I told him that is what I wanted since this would mark the 2nd time they would try the rebuild. He told me he would sign off on it but that it was ultimately up to GM. He said that is what my car needed. Then he said this, and I quote, " you didn't hear this from me but if I were you I'd try to blow the engine, drive the car like you stole it, that way GM wouldn't have a choice but to replace it." I told him that wasn't my agenda, I just want a car that is safe and reliable for my family. All in all my experience with the dealer has been positive I'm just frustrated that the car has been a total piece of crap since we purchased it, even though the car was GM certified it still has many issues that have yet to be fixed.
    lincris08:

You have just proved my point about GM NOT being "proactive" with regards to this engine issue. ------ In you posting you stated that the Service Manage said: ---- "That he told you that he would sign off on a new engine but it was ultimately up to GM!" ----- So what the Service Manager is saying is that GM "picks" and "chooses" which customer gets a new engine. ----- QUESTIONs: ----- What is wrong with this picture? --- The defective fuel pump caused the engine damage. ---- Who manufactured the fuel pump? ---- ANSWER: ---- GM ----- The solution to the problem is a NEW engine supplied by GM! ---- Why does the "CUSTOMER," (who purchased the vehicle with their "hard earned money"), --- have to beg GM for a new engine? ----- How does this "process" build customer confidence in GM products? ---- How does this "delaying process" sell GM vehicles both in the present, and in the future? ------ If the customer "hung magnetic signs" on their vehicle, (describing the condition of their vehicle, and how they are being treated by GM,) ------ GM would probably be VERY annoyed, ---- but it is "OK" for GM to treat the customer base in less than a professional manner. ----- Any vehicle can have a problem, but what separates one manufacturer & dealer form another is the way the problem is handled. ----- GM is dropping the ball BIG TIME this issue. They should be turning a "negative" into a "positive" by demonstrating a professional concern for the customer base by replacing the defective engines without question. ----- Dwayne
  • marion_blairmarion_blair Member Posts: 11
    It was first in the shop for gas in the oil. They fixed that. Then I got a engine light and they replaced the tensioner as per bulletin #PI#02020. They also replaced the water pump. I brought it in for the engine light which turned out to be the hose clamp on the air cleaner was off and and the engine was sucking dirty air. Nice. The hose clamp was not tightened. The service department didn't argue over who was going to pay for the repairs and gave us a new car to use while they fixed ours. They also replace the clutches in the transmission as that was slipping also. They knew something I didn't know at that point about the issues with this vehicle.

I just got a letter a couple of weeks ago from GM describing exactly what they fixed and said if I paid for any of it, they would reimburse me and they are giving an extra 20K miles warranty 10 yr, 120K warranty. So, GM is owning up to the problem but this car as been a problem. (LTZ) I thought Chevy had building engines down by now. The 4 cyl is plenty for the the car and it'll get 32 mpg on the hwy. I won't buy another Equinox but they probably got the bugs out by now. 2010 was there first year for the new style. I'm considering trading as I don't know what damage was done to the engine due to the gas in the oil and the hose being off the air cleaner.

It's been pretty much of a lemon. I've always bought Chevy or GMC's for the most part. The backup camera has gone on and off since we got it and every time I bring it in, it is working and they say, we can't fix it if it's not off when I bring it in. So it looks like it has total failed now with 45k on the car. I suspect they will not pay for it but there will be a fight as I brought it in twice while it was under warranty for the same issue.

Oh yea, the AC unit condenser failed and they changed that under warranty. So for 45K, this car is not doing well. When it works, it's a great car but I don't trust it anymore.

The dealer to their credit has been excellent, Ray Chevrolet, Abbeville, La.
    My 2010 does the same thing. Probably normal although I just got it out of the shop for new clutches with 45K on it.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Please visit the Dealer Ratings and Reviews module here and write up a review on the dealer's service department.
    After reading these postings about the Chevrolet Equinox, why would anyone ever consider purchasing an Equinox or any GM vehicle? ---- The word "Lemon" does not fully describe this line of vehicles. ----- I have almost 50,000 miles on my 2010 2.4 four cylinder Chevrolet Malibu, and I will be sure to dump this vehicle before I reach 100,000 miles when the extended warranty expires! ----- I just came back from a business road trip, and I did not use the Malibu, rather I used the 2007 XLE Camry with 83,000 + miles. ---- It performed flawlessly! ----- Even though I have a great servicing Chevrolet Dealer, and I enjoy driving my Malibu, this will be my last GM vehicle. ----- I depend on my vehicles for business, and I cannot take a chance on getting a "Lemon," and dealing with a manufacture that does not honor their warranty in a professional manner! ----- As a customer I expect professional / timely service. ---- I will share this story with all my business colleagues. ----- All the best to all the owners of this poorly designed vehicle. When the time is right for you, trade it in on a Toyota or a Honda. ----- Dwayne
  • goldilocks2goldilocks2 Member Posts: 3
    This is a follow up posting from my June 11, 2013 post regarding the laundry list of problems I have had with my 2010 Chevrolet Equinox, AWD LT2, 2.4 L 4 cyl. engine. I will begin by saying that my husband and I purchased the vehicle for its excellent reported gas mileage, comfortable ride, and expected (excellent) reliability. We take long trips (800+ miles per trip) to visit family and needed a reliable car with good gas mileage, adequate space, and good handling ability in all weather. The Equinox seemed to fit the bill and was an excellent car through 47,000 miles. We followed good maintenance practices, changing the oil around 3500-4000 miles using the recommended durablend oil.

At just under 47,000 miles we began experiencing the engine problems cataloged repeatedly on this forum discussion (i.e., consuming oil, missing engine threatening to stall at low speeds and when idling, severe shaking of the car). At this point, the car was just over two years old. Since then we have had the drivetrain and air conditioning compressor replaced (47,000 miles), followed by a new engine when we began experiencing the same engine issues we had experienced earlier (62,000 miles), a blown windshield wiper transmission (67,000 miles), a temperature actuator went bad at 67,000 miles, a blown transmission left me stranded a couple of weeks ago at 77,000 miles, and the antifreeze smell I have noticed for the past 10,000 miles was finally identified as a radiator leak at our GM service center (they were not able to find the leak prior to the transmission visit). :lemon:

I have been fortunate to work with an excellent GM service department in a small town. They have fought for my new engine and the recent transmission replacement all covered under the GM 5 year/100,000 mile warranty. They have provided me a rental car for each major repair (each taking 6 - 18 days). I also worked with GM Customer Service to receive a 60,000 extended warranty on the new engine (not offered up front upon receiving the engine). After many letters to GM all the way up the chain to the CEO and talking with no less than four customer service (CS) representatives, each stating they were higher up the food chain than the previous CS rep, I received the option for a $5000.00 customer appreciation credit toward a new GM vehicle. I received this prior to the blown transmission. When the credit was offered, I I seriously considered using the it toward a new 2014 Equinox with the expectation that the 2014 could not possibly be as bad as the 2010 model. After the blown transmission, I have had enough loss of work time, frustration and lack of faith that GM can offer a reliable vehicle. In addition, after discussions with my friendly GM service center and sales manager, I suspect that I would receive a bottom of the barrel auction price on the trade-in for my lemon, increasing the amount of cash I will have to outlay to purchase the new Equinox for which engine problems may still be an issue (jury is still out).

Going back to the 1940’s (my parents’ first cars), of the many cars my family has owned (Ford/Mercury, Chrysler/Dodge, Honda, Subaru, Toyota) across my parents’ and now their children’s life times, none of us have ever had a car with such poor reliability. It may be that this particular car was manufactured the day after New Year’s when the entire staff was recovering from hangovers (How else could one explain the incredible list of repairs on a vehicle just three years old!), but the 2010 Equinox’s track record indicates that anyone contemplating the purchase of a used 2010 Equinox should either purchase the extended 100,000 mile warranty and be ready for possible engine issues, or look at newer models, or better yet, look at reliable cars from other manufactures.
    Your posting is VERY well written! ---- It tells is all! ----- The vehicle is a Lemon! ----- The service / concern from GM is less than professional! ----- The quality of the vehicle is poor! ------ The Customers are being abused! ----- No more GM vehicles for me! ----- Dwayne
    The rear camera went out today. It's been on an off since it was new. They said it was a $450 rear view mirror. I had the car in twice under warranty but each time the camera was working so they couldn't work on it. Today we brought it in while it wasn't working. They agreed to order one and take car of the cost since we had brought the car in while it was under warranty. Good Dealer. Car looks great, but it's the oldsmobile diesel of our era.

Oh to the person with the pinging knocking problem, I put premium gas in it an it went away and I lived with it till the pump started leaking gas in the engine oil. Make them fix it now. It should not ping with 87 octane. If it's pinging, you are in for problems.

Let's see, in 45K, we've had the fuel pump, timing chain tensioner, water pump, transmission clutches, rear camera fail, AC condenser. The fit and finish on the Equinox LTZ is perfect. The drive train, not so much.

I suspect they have corrected these issues since 2010. Call me a fool but I bought a new Chevy truck last Oct. We will see how it goes. It's doing better than the equinox.
  • 2010noxgood2010noxgood Member Posts: 1
    Been working with dealer for months now on engine issues (4 cylinder). First found it was consuming oil, got the oil life recall about same time as this was getting way to bad to live with (I hate to ever take my cars back to dealers). Instead of just doing an oil consumption test they did the oil life computer update and changed the oil. Got car back, had no power at all (detuned the motor?). Found they overfilled the oil, took it back and made them change it again while I watched. That reduced the consumption but was a danger to drive, no throttle response, just long hesitation and no power when it did go until after 2200 rpm and real bad mileage. Back to dealer, they can't reproduce problem. Back to dealer a few more time to work on this, mileage never came back, a bit better to drive but nothing like before the oil life update. Lot more to this than posted here.

Next up Gas in the Oil, back to dealer with oil in sealed container. Just got the Gas in Oil notice from GM in the mail also. They report changing the Fuel Pump and Balance Chain etc. Got car back running way better but had to go back to dealer right away (hose left off and oil getting on engine etc). They put hose on. Good for a week or so, better mileage, better power. That didn't last, mileage down, gas in oil again. Back to dealer. They let car sit for a week, I call they say and report no gas in oil. I say after a week it evaporated just like it would if I pored it on your parking lot. They say they are done, go take it for a second opinion (and I thought we were getting so close to making this engine work), (maybe just another pump)!

So now I need to go and start contacting GM. I'm sure the only reason my car still runs at all is because I have been on top of it with servicing the oil and treating it well as I drive. I'm also sure most of the problems with the engine are due to these Fuel Pumps leaking gas into the oil, damaging the balance chain, cylinders, bearings, etc. etc. in the motor.

Help Gm: I need a good motor (a new motor), this car should last over 200,000 miles. Why should I have to think I should be getting rid of this car? I have been all GM for years and years. This car has been back to the dealer more than all of my other cars combined (not exaggerating here).
    This story is so typical of this poorly designed engine! ----- If I had this vehicle I would put magnetic signs on this vehicle describing the current state of my vehicle, and the name of the selling dealer. ----- My logic is "IF" the manufacturer thinks that this is "state of the art customer service," then I should advertise this fact to the automotive buying public. ------ My signs might say; "Equinox engine burning oil, no power, no cooperation from manufacturer, purchased from XXXXXXXXX" -------- I would have this sign on both sides of the vehicle. ---- Please be advised that I am NOT telling YOU what to do, I am simply sharing my feelings on this subject! ---- IMPORTANT NOTE: ---- I would NOT deliberately drive past the dealer, but I might contact the local newspaper or the local TV station, and ask if they would like to do a "human interest / consumer automotive story" on my "state of the art / high tech vehicle!" ----- I would give them a written history of the repairs made on this vehicle to date. ------ QUESTION: ----- What do you think would happen if you took this action? Let's explore the possibilities. The dealer and the manufacturer might take legal action against you. While that sounds threatening, it lacks substance since where are they going to find 12 people on a jury that have not be hurt by a car dealer in the United States. Besides the "negative publicity" will do them more harm than good! It will force the quality or I should say the "lack of product quality" into the light thus causing them to lose more sales! If I were a betting person, I would say that you would be contacted, and your vehicle would be repaired in a professional manner, which is what should have been done in the first place. Remember; for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. ----- Just sharing some information for your consideration. The final decision is yours, because YOU must live with that decision. ---- Best regards. ----- Dwayne.
    Your first statement said it all. "This story is so typical of this poorly designed engine!" So putting signs to hurt the dealer would be unfair. This is a GM problem not the dealer. I've had my share of hassle with dealers, don't get me wrong but the dealer has been very fair with me. So far I haven't put out a penny to fix this lemon. Believe me, GM knows they put out a lemon and they are having to own up to it with the 100K power train warranty and they are giving an extra 20K. I don't plan on keeping this lemon but I can't blame the dealer. They are good people having to deal with a bad product.
    edited October 2013
    Have you considered all the stress and loss of use that you have experienced because of this purchase? ---- Have you considered the loss that you are going to take when you trade this vehicle to the dealer? ---- Justice would be if the dealer gives you "full trade in value," and sells you a new vehicle at $200.00 over his cost! ---- Dwayne
  • sooveritsooverit Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 2010 Chevy Equinox after having major issues with a 2013 Chevy Cruze. The dealership was wonderful to deal with(my 3rd car now through them). The Equinox is horrible, from a grinding noise on the passenger side, the crappy brake pads they use and always making noise, a antifreeze smell and now the car jumps while driving down the road at different speeds. I have lost my fuel mileage, the malfunction light came on while on a road trip...hate being away from home when those come on. When the malfunction light came on, my fuel mileage went up and then the light went off when I was almost home and the fuel mileage sucked again.
    I went to the dealership today and told them to keep my car until they could fix it, they gave me a crappy car that is in worse shape then mine and when I went back in, furious, The Sales Manager had the nerve to tell me "We will not fix your car and we need to break this relationship"...WHAT??? Yeah, not the right words to say to me...I am furious, and I did talk to the Owner and I have to take the car back on Monday so they can put it on the "machine"...Whatever happened to the good ole mechanics that actually look at the car, take things apart and not rely on a textbook or a "machine"....Has anyone else had issues with their Equinox jumping while driving down the road?
  • nox123nox123 Member Posts: 76
    PLEASE...YOU PURCHASED A FOUR YEAR OLD VEHICAL; WHY WOULD YOU PURCHASE A USED VEHICAL WITHOUT DOING YOUR DUE DILIGENCE UPFRONT? NOW YOU WANT GLOBAL ATTENTION!

I PERSONALY OWNED A 2010 NOX AND HAD SAME DRIVE LINE PROBLEMS AND REPAIR ISSUES MOST OTHER 4CYL NOX OWNERS HAD; DID NOT REALLY THINK IT WAS A BIG DEAL. I WAS GLAD GM STOOD BEHIND THE VEHICAL WARRANTY FOR THE 3.5 YEARS I OWNED THIS TRUCK/SUV.

IN ADDITION; MY GM DEALER TOOK CARE OF ALL ISSUES AND ALWAYS PROVIDED ME WITH A FREE LOANER / RENTAL CAR.

I TRADED MY 2010 4CYL NOX IN JUNE 2013 FOR A 2013 GMC TERRAIN AND THIS IS ALSO A GREAT VEHICAL WITH SAME GM BLOOD LINE!

BOTTOM LINE; IM A BUSINESS OWNER; OWNERS NEED TO ACCEPT RESPONSIBILTY ALONG WITH THE MANUFACTURE; IF AN OWNER DOSE USE THE DEALER FOR REGULAR SCHEDULED MAINTENENCE THAT IS ALWAYS DOCUMENTED BY YOUR DEALER YOU ARE LOOKING TO HAVE MANUFACTURE / DEALER WARRANTY ISSUES; WHEN THERE IS ENGINE OR DRIVE LINE FAILURE; ITS JUST THAT SIMPLE!

IF ANYONE PURCHASES A USED CAR/TRUCK IN TODAYS HIGH TECH MARKET AND DOSE NOT USE ALL THE ONLINE AND DEALER REPORTS AVAILABLE FOR DUE DILIGENCE; YOU ARE MAKING A FOOLISH AND RISKY VEHICAL PURCHASE.

Now you have a loyal GM owners oppion for sales service and warranty matters; its really easy stuff if you do good honest business!
    QUESTIONS:

1.) What kind of a warranty did you get on this "used vehicle purchase" from the dealer?

2.) Did you purchase an extended used vehicle GM warranty?

3.) Why did you go from a 2013 Chevy Cruze to a 2010 used vehicle?

Read the postings on this board, and you will find the cause of your Equinox problems. ------ This is an "on-going issue!"

All the best! ---------- Dwayne
    In the Obama economy, dealer cost is too much. I got $8,000 of my LTZ Silverado. This is a car buyer's market. I was going to pay cash but at 1.6% loan, I kept the money in investments. From what I've seen, GM and the dealers are very willing to give you a good deal. The Equinox, I can't figure out how GM would let it on the market with so many engine and tranny issues. But they increased the warranty to 120K so I'll run the wheels off of it. So far, I've not had to pay a penny for repairs.
    I also got a recall on the oil change indication. They said it was showing you had less wear on the oil than you really had. I don't pay much attention to it anyway.
    That is why I change both the oil and the filter, on both of my vehicles, every 2,500 miles. (The recommended interval by both manufacturer's is 5,000 miles.) ----- NOTE: One of the manufacturer's is noted for "sludge producing engines!" ----- Clean engines are happy engines. ------ I also use an oil additive at every oil and filter change / BG -MOA (my choice.) ---- I also use a fuel additive at every fill up and I burn no name / off brand 87 octane gasoline in both vehicles without a fuel, fuel pump, engine or fuel injector issue. ---- I am not trying to sell my maintenance program to anyone, I am just sharing some information. ------- (In terms of a fuel additive I would use Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant or Marvel Mystery Oil. {FOUR OUNCES to every ten gallons of fuel.} ----- Marvel is cheaper than Lucas, and it does about the same thing! ----- Dwayne
    That reminds me, found a link here the other day for you . :D
    Good Morning Stever:

What is GREAT about the United States, --- is that everyone can have an opinion, as long as everyone respects other person's opinion. ----- Some people spend their money on golf, some people spend their money on beer, some people purchase expensive boats, some people purchase expensive cars and some people give their vehicles some extras loving care. ----- What is VERY interesting is that I have met people who criticize me for putting fuel in my boat at $4.50 a gallon as wasteful, but they think nothing of smoking a pack of cigarettes at $7.00 + a pack, drinking a case of beer on a weekend, or spending one night a week at the local watering hole! ----- I do not insist that other people following my life style. Personally I could care less. ----- I just share information. I enjoyed reading the postings about extended oil and filter changes, and if this type of service works for the owner's of those vehicle's, and they are comfortable with the process, more power to them! ------ I will not insist that they following my maintenance schedule because it all boils down to opinion! ----- Have a GREAT DAY! ----- All the best! ---- Remember; ---- Life is short so do what makes you happy! ------ Dwayne
    The other interesting thing that comes up around the net is that a filter will become more efficient as it becomes loaded with particles. It's a bit counterintuitive, but your engine may run cleaner if you don't change the oil filter more frequently than the manufacturer recommends.
    edited October 2013
    I am in the Boat Business. ------ If you think the "OIL CHANGE SUBJECT is a "BIG ISSUE" with cars, ----- you have not seen anything until you have been in the company of boat owners. ----- Some boat owners, like myself, will only use the engine manufacturer's oil. (I only use MerCruiser oil 20W40 Full Synthetic for twin 4.3 Cat Converter gasoline Maine Engines.) ---- Other boat owners will try to find "name brand automotive / diesel oil" in the equivalent weight to put into their marine engines. (This could be hard to fine because most marine engines take 20W-40, 25W-40 or straight 30) ---- Other boat owners will go to Walmart & Kmart and use the store's brand of oil in the marine engine. This is especially true of the outboard boat owners. Picture this, the owner has $50,000.000 + dollars worth of out board engines on the back of an expensive fishing boat, and he is using "Wally World Oil" in the Oil injection system!" What is wrong with this picture? ---- I tell them to drink one less case of beer on the water, and put the name brand engine oil in the engine. ----- Remember, the warranty that you save may be your own! ----- Human beings are strange animals. They spend $150, 000.00 dollars on a high tech boat, and then they want to save on maintenance! GET REAL! ----- But on the other side of the engine issue, when the engine "blows," and the manufacturer voids the warranty, the owner gets to purchase a new long block! ------ This makes more money for the engine manufacturer. (Penny wise and dollar foolish!) -----In addition to the engine oil issue, I have seen boat owners use cheap automotive oil filters on marine engines. ---- What are they saving? If the engine blows, and the MerCruiser, Volvo or Crusader representatives sees an automotive oil filter on the marine engine kiss your warranty good by! ---- All the best! ------- Dwayne
    edited October 2013
    You must really have fun with fiberglass gas tanks and ethanol fuel.

For even more fun, ask a newer GM owner if they know what dexos2 is.
    edited October 2013
    I just took delivery of a new 29' boat with twin 4.3 GM / CAT Converter / MerCruiser Engines & Alpha I/O drives. The fuel tank is Aluminum. I lost my old boat in Storm Sandy. Some of the old boats have fiberglass tanks and the ethanol and the resin did not mix well! The 4.3 engines run on 87 octane fuel. My marina sells only 89 octane Valve Tec Fuel, so octane is not an issue. I burn 8.3 gallons per hour on plane at 3200 rpm which translates into about 28mph. Fuel on the dock in New York State is $4.50 per gallon so if your fill up the 100 gallon tank you are in the hole for $450.00 dollars. If my friends want to go for a day's boat ride, I make it VERY clear that they need to contribute to the fuel! ---- All the best. ------ Dwayne.
    edited October 2013
    lol, and we're back full circle to the old joke about a boat being a hole in the water to put money in eh? There's a fancy Kevlar canoe in my garage that's worth about two tanks of gas. Hope you got some insurance money from the old one.

Back to the topic, anyone have any Nox problems over the weekend?
    I think your questions should be; ---- Did anyone who owns an Equinox NOT have a problem over the weekend! ---- OR ---- Did anyone have a "positive experience" with a Chevrolet dealer in terms of getting their Equinox Engine repaired under the warranty? ----- OR ---- Is there any Equinox out there in the "automotive world" that is completely trouble free? ---- OR ---- Has GM designed a fuel pump for the direct injection engine that DOES NOT leak raw fuel into the crankcase of the engine? ----- OR ---- Is there a person out there who owns a "trouble ridden Equinox" that would purchase another Equinox or any other GM vehicle? ------ All the best! ---------- Dwayne
    Dwayne - I'm the owner of a 2010 Equinox that has had more than it's fair share of issues. I've had to have the engine replaced and I have to tell you that my Service Dept at the Chevrolet dealer has been awesome to work with on all the problems.
    They have been open and honest with me about the work being done and made sure that I was happy with the car, AND that ALL of the work was done and paid for under the warranty.
    There are design issues with this car I agree, but I am sure that I am not the only Equinox owner who has had positive experiences with GM Service. Not all dealers only want the money for purchase. Some do work to stand behind the product - even if it is showing signs of being a lemon.
    That is simply OUTSTANDING, and that is the way it should be in a "professional world!" ------- If all the GM dealers had this "professional attitude," this situation would have been resolved a long time ago, and the owners would feel good about GM, and the "product line." ------- But this is not the case! ---- Some dealers are "less than professional," and I blame GM for that condition. ----- They set the standards for warranty work! ----- The solution to any mechanical problem under warranty is to "FIX THE PROBLEM" without inconvenience to the customer. The questions becomes: --- Why do some GM dealers refuse to fix the problem in a timely / professional manner? ---- What is in it for them if they do not fix the problem? ---- All the best! ---- Dwayne
    I've been having some ongoing issues with my 2010 Equinox - but I will say that most of the customer service from GM Corporate has been stellar. The customer service folks who follow these forums are very proactive and hear what everyone's saying - and will email you back with a PERSONAL reply within 24 hours.

The major problem that I've faced is dealing with my local dealer. I'm not going to name them on this forum because I don't believe in that kind of behavior, but I will say that they've been less than proactive in helping me with my lemon. They only agreed to replacing my high pressure fuel pump (the timing chain was replaced by my family mechanic), after I held the GM recall letter to their face and made them read it several times. It was a VERY frustrating experience dealing with this good ol' boy's club. This particular dealership that I HAVE to take my car to unfortunately is extremely rundown, and the guys who work the "customer service" area are a bunch of slobs. In the end after they were "done" with my car, they quickly shoved me out the door and would barely answer my questions about the future of my vehicle. One of the guys even eluded to me trading it in while it "still has some value".

What I don't understand is why they would be so eager to push off their customers? Ultimately any warranty work that they would be doing would be reimbursed by GM correct? Obviously they don't care about their dealer reputation for whatever reason, or else they would can these rude, old relics that are working directly with their customers.

Currently this is my view on GM: When I trade this car in - it will definitely be the LAST GM I ever purchase because I cannot invest my hard earned money into a company that creates faulty products, and then recognizes what they've done, and then only creates bandaid fixes instead of making the product 100% right like it should've been when it left the plant.

I just wish that GM would do a final recall and replace all of these damaged engines. Even if the new fuel pumps hold up, there has been MAJOR damage done to these cars that will ultimately lessen their lifespan. These forums would go quiet and these furious customers would be happy again if GM would just own up to their mistakes and fix these cars once and for all. Cough up some money upfront to make your angry customers happy and you will save your name, salvage the Equinox line's reputation, and earn customers for life. I'm sure their PR people have already factored in the loss of customer plus 30 of their friends and family too right? Or have they?
  • sooveritsooverit Member Posts: 2
    I have the full warranty on my Equinox and it looks as though the engine will be replaced.

I went to a used vehicle due to financial issues. I was limited on how much I could spend on a vehicle and I did look into the 2 SUV's I was looking at. I honestly didn't see this website until after the fact...

As for the other person saying Global Attention...no, just looking for advice and others did for their vehicle.
  • knw82knw82 Member Posts: 3
    I wanted to see what the dealership would give me on a trade for my 2010 Chevy equinox LS with 92k miles on it. They offered 7k and I rejected it! That's a 11k dollar depreciation in 15 months and 44k miles later. I've already had the oil and fuel mixing and the engine basically rebuilt instead of GM giving me a brand new motor bc of the timing chain issues. I'm highly disappointed with all the problems I've had with my Equinox.
    VERY WELL WRITTEN AND VERY WELL SAID! -----YES, ---- Why doesn't GM do a "final recall," and replace all of these damaged engines because MAJOR DAMAGE has been done to these cars because of the fuel pump issue? ----- THIS IS THE ALL IMPORTANT QUESTION! ---- YES, ---- These forums would go quiet, and the furious / abandoned customers would be happy with GM. THEY MIGHT EVEN PURCHASE ANOTHER GM VEHICLE! ---- The question becomes, Why doesn't GM take this action? ---- Are they waiting for all of these vehicles to go off warranty so their liability will be lessened? ---- Let's speculate on the possible reasons! ---- I think, based on the postings on this site, GM simply does not care about the customer, and the quality of the Equinox product line. What is going to happen if someone gets into a serious accident because of the performance issues associated with this vehicle? -------All the best! --------- Dwayne
    The professional work done by a reputable dealer is without a doubt the best thing for GM in resolving this issue with the Equinox. GM needs to work with those dealers to fix this car....
    The dealer I have had the pleasure of using for these problems is NOT the dealer I bought the car from. That dealer didn't give a damn once the ink dried on the check and it cleared the bank.
    This car had a factory recall a few months after I bought it to replace the computer module for the defrost/heating/cooling system. That service dept just reset the codes (they did this to me three times), told me that was the proper fix , not to worry but I kept getting recall notices from GM.
    Finally after contacting GM Customer Service directly (I was afraid not replacing this would void my warranty), it was suggested, by GM, (when the CS rep could not get the service manager on the phone herself), that I go to a different dealer for the warranty work.
    Dealer #1 wouldn't even give me a loaner to use for a FACTORY RECALL bulletin. They wanted me to rent a car from them and I had to talk to the salesman who sold me the car to get a loaner
    I am so glad that I followed the advice of the CS rep. I shudder to think what I would have ended up with if I had to deal with service dept #1 when the engine crapped out ...
    I agree that the dealer is representing GM (even if they are independent owners) and GM should support and hold them accountable. Word of mouth customer satisfaction is more valuable than any slick TV production or magazine ad.
    Yea, the old Dexos. I bet a lot of do it yourselfers and quick oil changers don't have a clue even though it's written right on the oil filler cap.
  • gordo2011gordo2011 Member Posts: 1
    Today my airbag sensor light goes on my 2011 Chevy equinox,so here I am at the dealer. The manager tells me it will cost 316.00 dollars to repair this. So, what happens if I don't fix it, he tells me that the airbags won't work during a collision. I am a fireman and a paramedic. I have cut people out of cars. I feel that there should be recalls on safety components for all types of vehicles. My life safety or my passengers should not cost me 316.00 dollars to stay safe.