Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2010 Chevy Equinox Problems

Comments

• djm2djm2 Posts: 705
    I think your questions should be; ---- Did anyone who owns an Equinox NOT have a problem over the weekend! ---- OR ---- Did anyone have a "positive experience" with a Chevrolet dealer in terms of getting their Equinox Engine repaired under the warranty? ----- OR ---- Is there any Equinox out there in the "automotive world" that is completely trouble free? ---- OR ---- Has GM designed a fuel pump for the direct injection engine that DOES NOT leak raw fuel into the crankcase of the engine? ----- OR ---- Is there a person out there who owns a "trouble ridden Equinox" that would purchase another Equinox or any other GM vehicle? ------ All the best! ---------- Dwayne
  • duetsuduetsu Posts: 36
    Dwayne - I'm the owner of a 2010 Equinox that has had more than it's fair share of issues. I've had to have the engine replaced and I have to tell you that my Service Dept at the Chevrolet dealer has been awesome to work with on all the problems.
    They have been open and honest with me about the work being done and made sure that I was happy with the car, AND that ALL of the work was done and paid for under the warranty.
    There are design issues with this car I agree, but I am sure that I am not the only Equinox owner who has had positive experiences with GM Service. Not all dealers only want the money for purchase. Some do work to stand behind the product - even if it is showing signs of being a lemon.
    That is simply OUTSTANDING, and that is the way it should be in a "professional world!" ------- If all the GM dealers had this "professional attitude," this situation would have been resolved a long time ago, and the owners would feel good about GM, and the "product line." ------- But this is not the case! ---- Some dealers are "less than professional," and I blame GM for that condition. ----- They set the standards for warranty work! ----- The solution to any mechanical problem under warranty is to "FIX THE PROBLEM" without inconvenience to the customer. The questions becomes: --- Why do some GM dealers refuse to fix the problem in a timely / professional manner? ---- What is in it for them if they do not fix the problem? ---- All the best! ---- Dwayne
  • I've been having some ongoing issues with my 2010 Equinox - but I will say that most of the customer service from GM Corporate has been stellar. The customer service folks who follow these forums are very proactive and hear what everyone's saying - and will email you back with a PERSONAL reply within 24 hours.

The major problem that I've faced is dealing with my local dealer. I'm not going to name them on this forum because I don't believe in that kind of behavior, but I will say that they've been less than proactive in helping me with my lemon. They only agreed to replacing my high pressure fuel pump (the timing chain was replaced by my family mechanic), after I held the GM recall letter to their face and made them read it several times. It was a VERY frustrating experience dealing with this good ol' boy's club. This particular dealership that I HAVE to take my car to unfortunately is extremely rundown, and the guys who work the "customer service" area are a bunch of slobs. In the end after they were "done" with my car, they quickly shoved me out the door and would barely answer my questions about the future of my vehicle. One of the guys even eluded to me trading it in while it "still has some value".

What I don't understand is why they would be so eager to push off their customers? Ultimately any warranty work that they would be doing would be reimbursed by GM correct? Obviously they don't care about their dealer reputation for whatever reason, or else they would can these rude, old relics that are working directly with their customers.

Currently this is my view on GM: When I trade this car in - it will definitely be the LAST GM I ever purchase because I cannot invest my hard earned money into a company that creates faulty products, and then recognizes what they've done, and then only creates bandaid fixes instead of making the product 100% right like it should've been when it left the plant.

I just wish that GM would do a final recall and replace all of these damaged engines. Even if the new fuel pumps hold up, there has been MAJOR damage done to these cars that will ultimately lessen their lifespan. These forums would go quiet and these furious customers would be happy again if GM would just own up to their mistakes and fix these cars once and for all. Cough up some money upfront to make your angry customers happy and you will save your name, salvage the Equinox line's reputation, and earn customers for life. I'm sure their PR people have already factored in the loss of customer plus 30 of their friends and family too right? Or have they?
  • I have the full warranty on my Equinox and it looks as though the engine will be replaced.

I went to a used vehicle due to financial issues. I was limited on how much I could spend on a vehicle and I did look into the 2 SUV's I was looking at. I honestly didn't see this website until after the fact...

As for the other person saying Global Attention...no, just looking for advice and others did for their vehicle.
  • knw82knw82 Posts: 3
    I wanted to see what the dealership would give me on a trade for my 2010 Chevy equinox LS with 92k miles on it. They offered 7k and I rejected it! That's a 11k dollar depreciation in 15 months and 44k miles later. I've already had the oil and fuel mixing and the engine basically rebuilt instead of GM giving me a brand new motor bc of the timing chain issues. I'm highly disappointed with all the problems I've had with my Equinox.
    VERY WELL WRITTEN AND VERY WELL SAID! -----YES, ---- Why doesn't GM do a "final recall," and replace all of these damaged engines because MAJOR DAMAGE has been done to these cars because of the fuel pump issue? ----- THIS IS THE ALL IMPORTANT QUESTION! ---- YES, ---- These forums would go quiet, and the furious / abandoned customers would be happy with GM. THEY MIGHT EVEN PURCHASE ANOTHER GM VEHICLE! ---- The question becomes, Why doesn't GM take this action? ---- Are they waiting for all of these vehicles to go off warranty so their liability will be lessened? ---- Let's speculate on the possible reasons! ---- I think, based on the postings on this site, GM simply does not care about the customer, and the quality of the Equinox product line. What is going to happen if someone gets into a serious accident because of the performance issues associated with this vehicle? -------All the best! --------- Dwayne
  • duetsuduetsu Posts: 36
    The professional work done by a reputable dealer is without a doubt the best thing for GM in resolving this issue with the Equinox. GM needs to work with those dealers to fix this car....
    The dealer I have had the pleasure of using for these problems is NOT the dealer I bought the car from. That dealer didn't give a damn once the ink dried on the check and it cleared the bank.
    This car had a factory recall a few months after I bought it to replace the computer module for the defrost/heating/cooling system. That service dept just reset the codes (they did this to me three times), told me that was the proper fix , not to worry but I kept getting recall notices from GM.
    Finally after contacting GM Customer Service directly (I was afraid not replacing this would void my warranty), it was suggested, by GM, (when the CS rep could not get the service manager on the phone herself), that I go to a different dealer for the warranty work.
    Dealer #1 wouldn't even give me a loaner to use for a FACTORY RECALL bulletin. They wanted me to rent a car from them and I had to talk to the salesman who sold me the car to get a loaner
    I am so glad that I followed the advice of the CS rep. I shudder to think what I would have ended up with if I had to deal with service dept #1 when the engine crapped out ...
    I agree that the dealer is representing GM (even if they are independent owners) and GM should support and hold them accountable. Word of mouth customer satisfaction is more valuable than any slick TV production or magazine ad.
  • Yea, the old Dexos. I bet a lot of do it yourselfers and quick oil changers don't have a clue even though it's written right on the oil filler cap.
  • Today my airbag sensor light goes on my 2011 Chevy equinox,so here I am at the dealer. The manager tells me it will cost 316.00 dollars to repair this. So, what happens if I don't fix it, he tells me that the airbags won't work during a collision. I am a fireman and a paramedic. I have cut people out of cars. I feel that there should be recalls on safety components for all types of vehicles. My life safety or my passengers should not cost me 316.00 dollars to stay safe.
    edited October 2013
    I find this posting to be VERY interesting from a consumer's point of view! ----- What is the mileage on this vehicle? ----- How can an "Air Bag Sensor" go bad on a relatively new vehicle. -----It is not like a water pump on the engine that operates at engine RPM under all climatic conditions! ----- I question the quality of the sensor. Who manufactured the sensor? ---- Where was it manufactured? --- How many of these sensors have failed in the 2010, 11, & 12 Equinox Vehicles? ----- I have a 2007 XLE V6 Camry with almost 84,000 miles, and I have never replaced one sensor on this vehicle since I purchased it new. ----- The only things that were replaced were batteries, brake pads & tires along with normal fluid changes. ----- Quality is the the number one issue with the Chevrolet Equinox! ---- OR, should I say the "lack of quality! ----- All the best! ---------- Dwayne
  • My air bag light came on immediately after I flipped 100,000 miles. I question whether something is really wrong or if it is part of a maintenance schedule. Any thoughts? It hasn't gone off yet like some warning lights do and i am now at 103,000 miles.
    edited October 2013
    I don't know the answer to that question! ---- Has anyone else had this happen at 100,000 miles? ---- It seems a little strange that it came on at 100,000 miles! ---- If the answer is "YES" what was the fix? ---- Suggestion; ---- If you disconnect the battery, it should clear the codes on the vehicle. ---- You could try this, and see if the air bag light comes on again. ---- Dwayne
  • ray80ray80 Posts: 1,183
    I don't believe there is any maintenance required that would cause the light to come on. Perhaps there was something under the seat that messed with the wiring or maybe there was some mositure that caused some corrosion in a connection.
  • bkh61bkh61 Posts: 2
    I have a 2010 Equinox 4 cylinder with 68,0000 miles which has recently went through the oil consumption test. I was not aware of the extent of all the problems others were having and have been going through the test for months. We were getting inconsistent results, sometimes little oil to add other times 2 quarts in 1000 miles. Apparently they are no longer replacing engines and instead are replacing the pistons and rings per the new bulletin.

http://sandyblogs.com/techlink/?p=2204

Here is the history of my vehicle:

12/09-Filed down mass airflow sensor casting flashing per bulletin PI P4687
    3/10-Replace & program computer module for lack of defroster per recall
    3/10-Replace evap jumper hose and reprogram ecm per recall
    4/11-Replaced purge valve as it was not sealing properly
    9/11-Perform PCM reprogram per PI0325
    2/12-Found fuel pressure leaking into crankcase-replaced fuel pump
    7/12-Actuator indicated to remove and replace intake camshaft position solenoid
    1/13-Engine overheated, thermostat sticking open, replaced thermostat, found head gasket leaking, R& R cylinder head, also found broken timing chain
    4/13-Update oil life monitor per recall
    10/13-Car would not start after few days, jumped, took to dealer, replaced battery
    10/13-Replaced pistons and rings for oil consumption per bulletin

They had mentioned that they were going to check for other parts when they opened up the engine. Per the new oil consumption bulletin, I had had all the other work done already due to above. Fuel pump, balance chain, balance chain tensioner and timing chain were all replaced in earlier repairs. They are saying the zebra stripes are not damage that requires the engine to be replaced?

I hope this works. I like the vehicle and the gas mileage, but it has been in the shop an awful lot. The dealer I bought from (Wickstrom in Roselle, IL) has been good to deal with through all of this. I have always received loaner cars or rides if the vehicle was required to stay longer than a short waiting period. I have never had to go to GM directly because the dealer has been proactive with issues. The only item above I paid for was the replacement battery. They have been dealt a bad product and they are trying to make the best of it. On this last repair, they loaned me a 2014 Traverse probably hoping I would trade the Equinox in.

I am going to monitor this thing closely over the next year and hopefully do not need to spend more time in the shop. I am not sure if I will keep this vehicle much longer waiting for the next thing to go wrong. GM needs to be more proactive in finding and dealing with these major engine problems. I will be much more careful when buying an early model new car or significant re-design.
  • cjgacjga Posts: 17
    I am back...I love my equinox 2010....now my engine light came on two day ago and went off now it is back on.....GM replaced parts about 3 months ago...now in the morning when I crank up...I really have to accelerate before it will go but after a minute it seems to be OK.....I tried living with that, but now with the engine light on and little more noise when you accelerate I am getting worried. I purchased brand new and have about 64000 miles. Love it but quite worried now.
  • Well today my wife calls me in a panic and says he stable track light is on and the low break fluid light is on. I told her to come straight home. I found the brake reservoir dry. I added Dot 3 and headed for the dealer. They wanted $1000 to change an O ring. The brake master cylinder is leaking brake fluid into the booster due to a faulty O ring. The service manager reduced the charge to $200 dollars and thru in a free oil change.

So far I've replaced transmission clutches, engine timing chain tension-er, fuel pump, AC condenser, Rear view mirror with camera screen, master cylinder and booster. water pump. All in less than 49,000 miles.

I talked to the mechanic for a good while. He was an older fellow who had turned wrenches all his life for Honda, Toyota and now GM. His thoughts was the poor quality Chinese parts GM is using in their vehicles. I'm sure all the mfg's use some Chinese parts as nearly everything now a days is built by Chinese.

So having a Silverado that's a year old, I asked him if he had heard of any issues with the Chevy Silverado's. He said, yes, they had a rash of bad cam shafts back in 2006 or so but he thought they may have that issue fixed. He also said they had some transmission issues but thought they may have that figured out also.

So, it looks like the problem with GM is systemic and not just the Equinox. I predict GM will eventually fail unless the get a quick handle on quality control.

We'll see. I will be trading the Equinox as it's eating me alive and it's now a safety issue when you can't keep brake fluid in the damn thing. I'll probably look at Toyota RAV4 or something about that size that has minimal Chinese parts. GM's are really a foreign car now considering the parts are made in Mexico, China and who knows where else etc.. and then assembled in US by Government Motors.

But I guess this is what you get when you know the government has got your back no matter what kind of crap comes off the assembly line. You don't have to be competitive.

For those of you that are going to reply and ask me why I bought the 2013 after the 2010 equinox experience, all I can say is you are right, I was an idiot. I've been a GM person all my life. I've got a 2002 Yukon sitting in the driveway with 175,000 miles on it. It's had nothing done to it but oil changes and a fuel pump failed while still in warranty. That's the kind of reliability I thought I was buying. I'm an idiot.
  • nox123nox123 Posts: 76
    Your Human; the 2010-2011 GM Equinox has had some issues and other domestic vehicals have also had issues! I did own a 2010 4cyl Nox for 3.5 years and the GM/dealer always took care of any issues i experienced with my Nox/ truck was a great vehical for time owned.

The experience I had was not all that bad; I'm a rather busy Biz owner and I always had all service done @ Florida GM dealership and was always provided with a loaner / rental whenever my Nox was serviced; I never paid for any service / issues other than oil changes that were done every "3500 miles" at GM dealer! It was pretty easy; basic service and no stress business.

Being said; I traded my 2010 4cyl Equiinox in June 2013 for a 2013 3.6 V-6 Terrain because I had such a positive GM experience; I was given $16.000 for my 2010 55K Equinox LT 4cyl "clean" trade. I paid $24.000 in Nov. 2009 and the cost for depreciation over 3.5 years was about $2300 per year!!! Bottom line; there are probably less than 2% of 2010-2011 4Cyl GM owners having major issues that are having issues and this vehical is still rated by Consumer reports / Edmonds as being a Number #1 SUV for reliabilty and cost!

Having said; New vehicals need to be serviced at dealer and per required manufactures recomendations for service and owners will not be having issues getting new vehicals backed by any Mfg warranty and repaired at no cost to owner. You can not use brand x auto service and expect any vehical Mfg to respect that level of service with out proper documentation; its just that simple.

In Addition the 2010 GM Vehicals are approaching the 5 year limit for mileage /drive line warranty backing by GM!!! "Read Your Owners Manual" and follow GM Mfg instructions for vehical warranty and you will survive the 2% of owners having drive line problems and costly warranty issues with any Vehical Mfg; they are all the same.

This is my professional GM Owner opinion for this 4-year ongoing GM 4 Cyl Engine / Mfg Warranty owner concerns and issues.....Its really easy stuff if your not taking service short cuts!!!
    As a GM customer myself, I can understand your frustration with the product. While my GM vehicle has be very good, I will keep it till it has 90,000 miles, and then I will trade it for a Toyota. ------ (It has a 6year / 100,000 mile GM extended warranty. I always purchase an extended warranty on a new vehicle.) ---- No more GM vehicles for me! ----- This is sad because my vehicle is "ok," but I am NOT willing to take a chance on another GM vehicle, and in the process, being treated in an unprofessional manner. ----- My vehicle is approaching 50,000 miles so maybe next year I will be looking for a place to dump this vehicle. ---- The four cylinder Camry or the Rav4 looks like a possibility. ------ I still have my 2007 XLE V6 Camry which no longer has a warranty, and it drives like a new vehicle. It never uses oil between oil and filter changes, and I get 30 mpg easily at 55mph! ---- All the best! ---- Dwayne
  • jpfjpf Posts: 496
    Buying from Toyota does not necessarily avoid parts made in China. I recently traded in a 2007 Chevrolet Uplander for a new 2013 Scion XB. The XB was assembled in Japan but the engine was manufactured in China. The engine is a version of the previous generation Camry engine. After about 2,000 miles, no problems.