Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Chevy Equinox Problems

Comments

• djm2djm2 Member Posts: 712
    edited October 2013
    I find this posting to be VERY interesting from a consumer's point of view! ----- What is the mileage on this vehicle? ----- How can an "Air Bag Sensor" go bad on a relatively new vehicle. -----It is not like a water pump on the engine that operates at engine RPM under all climatic conditions! ----- I question the quality of the sensor. Who manufactured the sensor? ---- Where was it manufactured? --- How many of these sensors have failed in the 2010, 11, & 12 Equinox Vehicles? ----- I have a 2007 XLE V6 Camry with almost 84,000 miles, and I have never replaced one sensor on this vehicle since I purchased it new. ----- The only things that were replaced were batteries, brake pads & tires along with normal fluid changes. ----- Quality is the the number one issue with the Chevrolet Equinox! ---- OR, should I say the "lack of quality! ----- All the best! ---------- Dwayne
  • michelle_smichelle_s Member Posts: 6
    My air bag light came on immediately after I flipped 100,000 miles. I question whether something is really wrong or if it is part of a maintenance schedule. Any thoughts? It hasn't gone off yet like some warning lights do and i am now at 103,000 miles.
    edited October 2013
    I don't know the answer to that question! ---- Has anyone else had this happen at 100,000 miles? ---- It seems a little strange that it came on at 100,000 miles! ---- If the answer is "YES" what was the fix? ---- Suggestion; ---- If you disconnect the battery, it should clear the codes on the vehicle. ---- You could try this, and see if the air bag light comes on again. ---- Dwayne
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    I don't believe there is any maintenance required that would cause the light to come on. Perhaps there was something under the seat that messed with the wiring or maybe there was some mositure that caused some corrosion in a connection.
  • bkh61bkh61 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2010 Equinox 4 cylinder with 68,0000 miles which has recently went through the oil consumption test. I was not aware of the extent of all the problems others were having and have been going through the test for months. We were getting inconsistent results, sometimes little oil to add other times 2 quarts in 1000 miles. Apparently they are no longer replacing engines and instead are replacing the pistons and rings per the new bulletin.

http://sandyblogs.com/techlink/?p=2204

Here is the history of my vehicle:

12/09-Filed down mass airflow sensor casting flashing per bulletin PI P4687
    3/10-Replace & program computer module for lack of defroster per recall
    3/10-Replace evap jumper hose and reprogram ecm per recall
    4/11-Replaced purge valve as it was not sealing properly
    9/11-Perform PCM reprogram per PI0325
    2/12-Found fuel pressure leaking into crankcase-replaced fuel pump
    7/12-Actuator indicated to remove and replace intake camshaft position solenoid
    1/13-Engine overheated, thermostat sticking open, replaced thermostat, found head gasket leaking, R& R cylinder head, also found broken timing chain
    4/13-Update oil life monitor per recall
    10/13-Car would not start after few days, jumped, took to dealer, replaced battery
    10/13-Replaced pistons and rings for oil consumption per bulletin

They had mentioned that they were going to check for other parts when they opened up the engine. Per the new oil consumption bulletin, I had had all the other work done already due to above. Fuel pump, balance chain, balance chain tensioner and timing chain were all replaced in earlier repairs. They are saying the zebra stripes are not damage that requires the engine to be replaced?

I hope this works. I like the vehicle and the gas mileage, but it has been in the shop an awful lot. The dealer I bought from (Wickstrom in Roselle, IL) has been good to deal with through all of this. I have always received loaner cars or rides if the vehicle was required to stay longer than a short waiting period. I have never had to go to GM directly because the dealer has been proactive with issues. The only item above I paid for was the replacement battery. They have been dealt a bad product and they are trying to make the best of it. On this last repair, they loaned me a 2014 Traverse probably hoping I would trade the Equinox in.

I am going to monitor this thing closely over the next year and hopefully do not need to spend more time in the shop. I am not sure if I will keep this vehicle much longer waiting for the next thing to go wrong. GM needs to be more proactive in finding and dealing with these major engine problems. I will be much more careful when buying an early model new car or significant re-design.
  • cjgacjga Member Posts: 18
    I am back...I love my equinox 2010....now my engine light came on two day ago and went off now it is back on.....GM replaced parts about 3 months ago...now in the morning when I crank up...I really have to accelerate before it will go but after a minute it seems to be OK.....I tried living with that, but now with the engine light on and little more noise when you accelerate I am getting worried. I purchased brand new and have about 64000 miles. Love it but quite worried now.
  • marion_blairmarion_blair Member Posts: 11
    Well today my wife calls me in a panic and says he stable track light is on and the low break fluid light is on. I told her to come straight home. I found the brake reservoir dry. I added Dot 3 and headed for the dealer. They wanted $1000 to change an O ring. The brake master cylinder is leaking brake fluid into the booster due to a faulty O ring. The service manager reduced the charge to $200 dollars and thru in a free oil change.

So far I've replaced transmission clutches, engine timing chain tension-er, fuel pump, AC condenser, Rear view mirror with camera screen, master cylinder and booster. water pump. All in less than 49,000 miles.

I talked to the mechanic for a good while. He was an older fellow who had turned wrenches all his life for Honda, Toyota and now GM. His thoughts was the poor quality Chinese parts GM is using in their vehicles. I'm sure all the mfg's use some Chinese parts as nearly everything now a days is built by Chinese.

So having a Silverado that's a year old, I asked him if he had heard of any issues with the Chevy Silverado's. He said, yes, they had a rash of bad cam shafts back in 2006 or so but he thought they may have that issue fixed. He also said they had some transmission issues but thought they may have that figured out also.

So, it looks like the problem with GM is systemic and not just the Equinox. I predict GM will eventually fail unless the get a quick handle on quality control.

We'll see. I will be trading the Equinox as it's eating me alive and it's now a safety issue when you can't keep brake fluid in the damn thing. I'll probably look at Toyota RAV4 or something about that size that has minimal Chinese parts. GM's are really a foreign car now considering the parts are made in Mexico, China and who knows where else etc.. and then assembled in US by Government Motors.

But I guess this is what you get when you know the government has got your back no matter what kind of crap comes off the assembly line. You don't have to be competitive.

For those of you that are going to reply and ask me why I bought the 2013 after the 2010 equinox experience, all I can say is you are right, I was an idiot. I've been a GM person all my life. I've got a 2002 Yukon sitting in the driveway with 175,000 miles on it. It's had nothing done to it but oil changes and a fuel pump failed while still in warranty. That's the kind of reliability I thought I was buying. I'm an idiot.
  • nox123nox123 Member Posts: 76
    Your Human; the 2010-2011 GM Equinox has had some issues and other domestic vehicals have also had issues! I did own a 2010 4cyl Nox for 3.5 years and the GM/dealer always took care of any issues i experienced with my Nox/ truck was a great vehical for time owned.

The experience I had was not all that bad; I'm a rather busy Biz owner and I always had all service done @ Florida GM dealership and was always provided with a loaner / rental whenever my Nox was serviced; I never paid for any service / issues other than oil changes that were done every "3500 miles" at GM dealer! It was pretty easy; basic service and no stress business.

Being said; I traded my 2010 4cyl Equiinox in June 2013 for a 2013 3.6 V-6 Terrain because I had such a positive GM experience; I was given $16.000 for my 2010 55K Equinox LT 4cyl "clean" trade. I paid $24.000 in Nov. 2009 and the cost for depreciation over 3.5 years was about $2300 per year!!! Bottom line; there are probably less than 2% of 2010-2011 4Cyl GM owners having major issues that are having issues and this vehical is still rated by Consumer reports / Edmonds as being a Number #1 SUV for reliabilty and cost!

Having said; New vehicals need to be serviced at dealer and per required manufactures recomendations for service and owners will not be having issues getting new vehicals backed by any Mfg warranty and repaired at no cost to owner. You can not use brand x auto service and expect any vehical Mfg to respect that level of service with out proper documentation; its just that simple.

In Addition the 2010 GM Vehicals are approaching the 5 year limit for mileage /drive line warranty backing by GM!!! "Read Your Owners Manual" and follow GM Mfg instructions for vehical warranty and you will survive the 2% of owners having drive line problems and costly warranty issues with any Vehical Mfg; they are all the same.

This is my professional GM Owner opinion for this 4-year ongoing GM 4 Cyl Engine / Mfg Warranty owner concerns and issues.....Its really easy stuff if your not taking service short cuts!!!
    As a GM customer myself, I can understand your frustration with the product. While my GM vehicle has be very good, I will keep it till it has 90,000 miles, and then I will trade it for a Toyota. ------ (It has a 6year / 100,000 mile GM extended warranty. I always purchase an extended warranty on a new vehicle.) ---- No more GM vehicles for me! ----- This is sad because my vehicle is "ok," but I am NOT willing to take a chance on another GM vehicle, and in the process, being treated in an unprofessional manner. ----- My vehicle is approaching 50,000 miles so maybe next year I will be looking for a place to dump this vehicle. ---- The four cylinder Camry or the Rav4 looks like a possibility. ------ I still have my 2007 XLE V6 Camry which no longer has a warranty, and it drives like a new vehicle. It never uses oil between oil and filter changes, and I get 30 mpg easily at 55mph! ---- All the best! ---- Dwayne
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    Buying from Toyota does not necessarily avoid parts made in China. I recently traded in a 2007 Chevrolet Uplander for a new 2013 Scion XB. The XB was assembled in Japan but the engine was manufactured in China. The engine is a version of the previous generation Camry engine. After about 2,000 miles, no problems.
    edited November 2013
    One "key point with Toyota!" ---- Since the engine "sludge issue," Toyota has been VERY customer focused in it's dealings with the customer, unlike GM with it's dealings with the Chevrolet Equinox issues. ---- I have done some research into potential problems with my 2010 Chevrolet 2.4 LTZ Malibu. ---- It seems that once I pass 50,000 miles I can look forward to "brake light problems" caused by corrosion in the connections of the "body control module," and power steering issues due to the electric motor shorting out. ----- So the quality of the Equinox has now spilled over to the Malibu. ----- What is VERY interesting is that SOME GM dealers do not know how to fix these problems, while others can fix the problem. How is this possible? ----- Are some dealers professional and proactive while others could care less about customer satisfaction and customer safety. I would think that rear brake lights and steering are "kind of important" with regards to vehicle safety. If I can find the cause of these issues on the "net" why can't some GM dealers fix the problem? ANSWER: ---- They simply DO NOT CARE! ----- My vehicle is just about reaching the 50,000 mile mark and I will be watching for these issues. Thank God I have an extended warranty! ----- The fix for the steering issue is NOT cheap! ---- All the best. ----- Dwayne
  • smc8888smc8888 Member Posts: 25
    No matter where the parts come from, the ultimate responsibility for quality control lies squarely with GM, or more specifically, with US-based engineers. Toyota and Honda buy Chinese parts as well, yet there cars have a lot fewer problems, they take quality control seriously while GM's bean counters just want to save a few cents. Toyota dealerships in US are managed by Americans yet they take customer care more seriously. GM should be solely blamed for the fiasco, not the Chinese parts manufactures.
    Well said and very well written! ------- Based on what has been written about the Chevrolet Equinox it is obvious that GM has no idea about "high quality customer relations." ----- They had an excellent opportunity to turn a "negative" into a "positive" by giving the customer HIGH QUALITY / PROFESSION / PROACTIVE WARRANTY SERVICE, ---- but for some reason they have dropped the ball BIG TIME! ---- I would have bet that most of the owners of these vehicles would have gone along with repair efforts had GM been proactive and thorough in their approach to the problem. ------ The high pressure fuel pump caused extensive engine damage, but GM for some reason will not replace the engine as part of the warranty repair. -------- The big question is WHY? ----- All the best! ----- Dwayne.
  • ih8tmynoxih8tmynox Member Posts: 2
    Actually you are right i did just find this forum because i was online researching the problems i was having. So again here i am researching...my stabilitrak light came on at the same time my check engine came on and my car had no power. No matter how hard i pressed the accelerator...nothing. If i kept my foot on the pedal the car would eventually pick up speed but the rpm guage stayed at over 2k rpm. So now i need a tow and hopefully i wont have to sell my house to repair my car. I have been using Robert Wodall Chevrolet of Danville VA and frankly im tired of "if there isn't a code we cant tell whats wrong with it" what happened to good old fashioned test drive! I need a new car...Anybody want to buy a 2010 chevy equinox? resonably priced just needs a little tlc!
    ih8tmynox:

GM and the GM Chevrolet Dealers know exactly what is wrong with the Equinox Vehicles. ----- I would bet that they could fix anyone of the "problem vehicles" within ONE week, if they wanted to take that action! ---- For some reason, GM "thinks" that they are saving money by not taking care of the problem in a proactive manner. ---- In 2010 I almost purchased a 2010 2.4 Equinox. Instead I purchased a 2010 LTZ 2.4 Malibu. Thank God I made that choice. By doing so, I DID NOT get the direct injection 2.4 engine. ---- If had purchased the Equinox, I would have been in the same state of affairs as the owners on this site. This would have been disastrous for me, because I use my two vehicles as my office when I am on the road visiting customers. ----- I would have NEVER been able to deal with the poor quality of the Equinox. ----- GM thinks that this issue stops with only the Equinox owners. They forget that other people, like myself, read these postings. ---- While I DO NOT have any major issues with my 2010 LTZ Malibu, I will be thinking LONG and HARD about purchasing another GM vehicle. ---- Both my GM and Toyota dealers are outstanding in terms of service, but the lack of concern, as demonstrated by GM with regards to the Equinox issue, leaves me questioning whether I should purchase another GM vehicle. ---- Any vehicle can have problems. All the customer wants is for both the company and the dealer to stand behind the product and make things right in a timely / professional / proactive manner! ---- QUESTION: ---- What about this concept doesn't GM understand? ------ All the best! ----- Dwayne.
    Well stated................
    Good Morning Everyone: (The following information was taken off the internet, so I cannot guarantee it's accuracy!)

This morning while search the "net" I came up with the following information as related to the 2.4 GMC Terrain, which is the same vehicle as the Chevrolet Equinox. ----- The following is the "NEW & IMPROVED High Pressure Fuel PUMP # (12622475) ---- {This is the latest pump at the start of the 2011 production year.} So in theory, "IF" you have this pump on your vehicle, you should not have a problem! ----- (One person did claim that he still had a fuel leak problem with this pump.) ------ While this is the latest number on the high pressure pump, there were three (3) pumps for this vehicle as follows: #12629934, #12633594 & #12622475. ---- Based on my research, it was reported that "some dealers" are still installing the "old stock pumps," not the latest number pump. If this is true, this action on the dealer's part is just compounding the problem! ---- All the best. ---- Dwayne
  • cgoode3cgoode3 Member Posts: 8
    edited November 2013
    Hello All,

I just wanted to give you guys a follow up and possible "hope" for the future of your vehicles. Like many of you, there are several features of the Equinox that were very enticing: good fuel economy, good looking body, spacious for it's size, and reasonably priced.

I have posted to this forum a few times - angry with the horrible quality of product that GM had knowingly released into the market as a basic game of roulette. They knew a portion of these vehicles had faulty high pressure fuel pumps, but waited until the problems with the drivetrain - particularly the timing chain began surfacing.

When the average of these cars started showing problems between the 40k-60k mile range, GM sent out a letter stating that some of these Equinoxes may be experiencing stretched chains from the fuel pump releasing raw fuel into the crankcase in turn delubricating the entire engine.

One month prior to receiving the letter my Equinox started running rough...I took it to my family mechanic because frankly I trust him FAR more than those used car salesmen who work the service department at my local dealership. (I find those guys to be unnecessarily defensive as though they themselves had birthed this car, or were the reason for it's faults...) My mechanic told me that #1, in the manual where it states that you can go 7,500 miles between oil changes on a 4-cylinder Equinox is a death sentence for the car, and #2, the timing chain and the solenoids were both going to have to be replaced as a result of not receiving enough lubrication. What he didn't notice was the high pressure fuel pump leaking...

So fast forward to when I received the letter from GM. I take my car back to the dealership and show it to them and explain that my timing chain has already been replaced...They then reluctantly replace the high pressure fuel pump that was indeed leaking, and reimburse me for the cost of having my timing chain replaced.

After all of that - 4000 miles later, I will say that so far, fingers crossed, things are good. The car seems to be running fine, and I even had my family mechanic look at it again a few days ago to make sure that no major damage had been done to the car. As far as he could see - everything seems to be okay. It's not running rough anymore, no more check engine light, and I am fanatically diligent about having the oil changed every 3000 miles. Just a tip: my family mechanic used to work for GM and recommended that all GM vehicles be maintained with Dexos rated oil for optimal performance.

At the end of this - I know many people who have had major problems occur with their vehicles with very low mileage that had it repaired, then maintained properly, that continued to run upwards of 200,000 miles. If you're like me, and you can't afford to take a loss on trading in your Equinox and taking on a new loan for another vehicle, you might want to consider putting some money into fixing it up and keeping it as long as you can. I know that there are a few folks on this forum who swear by always having your car maintained at the dealership, but I am not lucky enough to have one that provides trustworthy and proactive service. My dealership would not have been able to even diagnose the problems with my car until I smacked them in the face with the recall letter from GM.

So - if you're having problems with stalling, and other codes from sensors going bad - you might want to POINT out to your service guy to first start with looking at the high pressure fuel pump. If that part is faulty, it could be the cause for A LOT of problems that are occurring with your vehicle.

I'm hoping that my high pressure fuel pump and timing chain will hold up - the nice thing is that I have some peace of mind knowing that the warranty on these parts have been extended as a result of the recall.

Good luck to all!
    I enjoyed reading your informative posting about your Equinox. You are absolutely correct with your assessment of GM dealers. ------ I am very fortunate, in that I have an outstanding dealer in New Jersey for both my GM vehicle and for my Toyota vehicle. The problem with the GM dealers is that General Motors DOES NOT police their dealers to ensure customer satisfaction, and high quality diagnostic / warranty service. ----- While I have an excellent Chevrolet Dealer, my Toyota Dealer is "state of the art," and VERY customer focused. ----- Customer satisfaction is more that filling out a "customer survey" after the sale and after general maintenance. ---- The real "customer satisfaction" comes into play when the vehicle has a major problem! The Equinox has had MAJOR problems and GM HAS NOT been proactive. They act like they are doing the customers a favor by servicing their vehicles under warranty. ---- As a customer I paid for that warranty service in the price of the vehicle, and if I decided to purchase an extended warranty, I paid an additional amount for coverage and for some "peace of mind!" Once GM, through their dealer network, accepts my money they have both a moral and legal obligation to service and repair my vehicle under the terms and conditions of the warranty. My obligation, as the owner, is to keep the service of the vehicle "up-to-date!" When warranty repairs are made they should be to the highest possible factory standards. No short cuts and no patch up / good enough repairs! --- I just came back from a road trip with my GM vehicle, and it performed in an outstanding manner. With a fresh oil and filter change I easily got 30mpg with off brand 87 octane gasoline and my additive. ---- But after reading the postings on this site about the Equinox, I am not too sure that I would put out another $35,000.00 + dollars on a GM vehicle, and take a BIG gamble on getting a lemon! ---- With that kind of money, I can purchase a Rav4, a V6 Camry or an Avalon and these vehicles hold their value on trade in! ----- Just something to consider. ----- Best regards to all! ----- Dwayne
  • bkh61bkh61 Member Posts: 2
    Two weeks have passed and back in to the shop two more times. Battery was replaced beginning of October because of a no start twice. Two weeks ago started noticing hesitation in start and next night after sitting all day it would not start. Took back to dealer, reprogrammed HVAC module per TSB update. Monday noticed radio volume going up and down on its own. Last night, car would not start again after sitting all day. Back to the dealer today. They are going to hold the car for a few days while they monitor what is draining the battery. Gave me another loaner vehicle (2014 Impala). I am wondering if the battery really needed to be replaced after all.

Don't know how much more I want to visit the dealership. Getting to know the service people too well. Talked to dealership manager today who said he has seen me there a lot lately. Went over the whole history and told him I was ready to see what they would do. He is going to contact GM. I said I am not even sure I want to purchase another Chevy/GM vehicle.
    Here are the "all important bottom line questions!" ---- "Why can't GM and their dealers fix these vehicles the first time? ---- Are these vehicles that poorly manufactured that they cannot be repaired? ---- Are these vehicles "poor in quality" in terms of materials and components? ---- Does GM really want to repair these vehicle? ---- Do the dealers have the "ability" to repair these vehicles? ----- I think we all know the answers to these questions! ----- It is VERY sad state of affairs! ---- ----- People have paid their "hard earned money" and no one seems to care! ---- This is an excellent opportunity for a "foreign name plate" to take over all the Equinox customers! ----- I am sure Toyota, Kia and Hyundai would love to sell their SUV's to the dissatisfied Equinox owners! --------- I think it is time for a "reality check" for both GM and the dealer network! ----- Are they going to allow their customer base to go over to a foreign nameplate over this issue or are they going to take proactive action? ------ Dwayne
  • burzeeburzee Member Posts: 1
    I have had the same issues for the last 2 years. Did oil consumption test, replaced all parts as you state in the engine. 1 week after I got my truck back, the transmission went. Brought it back in they fixed the transmission and were sending the results of the oil consumption test to GM to see what they can do for me. Then I received a letter in the mail regarding the 2010 Equinox engine problems and they now have a "kit" to "upgrade" my engine. Had this done for a second time and still major problems. By the time I hit 4000KM (from last oil change) there was no oil in my engine. Truck started to run bad again brought it back and needless to say I now have a complete new engine. Do I trust that I am out of the woods? NO! Will most likely purchase a new vehicle in spring and it won't be a GM or Chev. PS Now I need front brakes!
  • camncali9camncali9 Member Posts: 4
    Well said, Dwayne. My answer to those questions Yes GM products are poor in quality, No Dealers don't have ability to repair these problems, and it would seem that GM and the Dealers don't care as long as they've already gotten our "hard earned money." At least that was my experience, and it sounds like the same for many, thousands of others.

My final answer was to get rid of my leased piece of GM crap and get a Hyundai Santa Fe to replace it. We'll see how well it performs and holds up, but my '08 Toyota Highlander before the Nox was absolutely trouble free and dealership experience was good. As I've said before, I will NEVER buy another GM product again, ever.
  • jessequinoxjessequinox Member Posts: 13
    In the ongoing saga of my engine issues, I am now on engine #2, using Dexos oil every 7000km as per my dealer recommendation, and all of the issues I experienced the first time around with my first engine are all happening again. I am burning oil (about 1L every 1000km - and Dexos oil is NOT CHEAP!), the engine is noisy again (timing chain is stretched). My car stalled on me Friday night on my way home twice, nothing that adding a few liters of oil didn't fix after I checked the oil - it was empty - I had only checked it a week before and it was fine. I was told by my dealership that when my new engine was installed (the 2012 engine) that the fuel pump was also changed - which they have now found to be the cause of all of these issues). I don't think it actually was replaced. I am not going to fix this vehicle (I have 220,000 km on it and am almost finished with my loan). I will not be purchasing a GM again - this is my third and my last. I am currently shopping around right now for a new non-GM vehicle and am looking forward to an engine that doesn't act this way.
    edited December 2013
    Hi All:

Over the Holiday I had the time to re-read all the postings dealing with the problems of the Chevrolet Equinox. ---- While this is a VERY SAD state of affairs for the customer, we as consumers need to face the reality that manufacturers and dealers look at us as simply numbers. ---- Yes, they smile at us when we are in the showroom making a purchase, and they smile at the service desk, but in many cases it is NOT a true concern for us as valued customers. ----- YES, there are exceptions, and as I have stated before on these boards, I have two dealers that are very professional and customer focused. ---- But the all important questions are; --- Why do manufacturers abandon the new car customer when a problem arises with the product, and why do manufacturers make the customer feel that they are doing them a BIG FAVOR by performing the required service to repair the vehicle? ----- We as consumers have the power to make things happen in the automotive world. ----- The manufacturers need our money in order to continue in operation. ----- Personally, I DO NOT care what I drive in terms of a name plate. I think my Toyota Camry has more American Parts in it than does my Chevrolet Malibu which then begs the question; ---- "What exactly is an American Car?" ---- The Chevrolet Equinox issue has taught me some BIG LESSONS about vehicle purchase. ----- 1.) Never purchase a vehicle that is totally new design the first year. ---- 2.) Review the past years of the vehicle that you want to purchase to see if there are BIG maintenance / warranty problems associated with the vehicle. ----- 3.) Deal with manufactures & dealers that are "proactive" with regards to service & customer relations. ---- 4.) Research the dealer before you enter the showroom. (I have walked into showrooms and within 10 minutes I made up my mind that I would not do business with them based on the "body language of the sales people." People do not realize it but they give themselves away though their body language as to what they are thinking about the customer that is sitting across the desk from them during negotiations.) ---- As long as people continue to accept "poor quality products" and "poor quality customer service" by the dealer network, that is what the manufacturer will continue to provide. ---- We motivate the manufacturer to change through how we make our purchases. Our money is the power. If manufacturers see their products on the lots unsold, they will sit up and take notice. ----- My Chevrolet appears to be a high quality product, it runs very well and I have a great dealer, but I am a little "gun shy" in terms of making another GM purchase, because when I shell out $35.000.00 + dollars I really want a HIGH QUALITY PRODUCT, and I expect the manufacturer to stand behind the product in a timely / professional manner with a professional dealer network. ---- The postings on this site have demonstrated a "less than acceptable level of customer service." ------ When we make a vehicle purchase we are trading our hard earned dollars for what we assume is a high quality product. Many times our "expectations" are higher than the "reality of the situation." ----- Just some concepts to consider! ----- Dwayne
    I AM BACK AGAIN..........ONE WORD...UNBELIEVABLE. I had problems with HVAC 3 months ago......air stop blowing cold air. Guess what's....NO AIR again
    Common Owners and Critics...This Number one selling SUV / Truck is a headturner and they are selling faster than any other SUV on Market.

I owned the 2010 Nox 4cyl never had any scary or mechanical issues GM did not stand behind; never cost me a dime for warranty work or loaners in the 3.5 years or 55k miles I drove this 4cyl Nox truck! Now I upgraded to 2013 3.6V6 301hp Terrain and have over 10K miles of trouble free ownership.

I must say I have had a great experience with both GM SUV Trucks and reccomend this GM SUV all the time; its a great value and drives fine!

This is the positive side of owning a new GM SUV opposed to all the Negative Hipe disgruntled owners tend to share and overeacting for warrantee repair work they are probably not able to get done! due to NOT FOLLOWING Manufacture instructions for Service work...This is easy common sense stuff!
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    Its always typical to not hear from satisfied owners, only those that have issues tend to post. There have been a signicant number of owners that do have troubles and it has taken quite a while to come up with solutions.
    They sell many thousands of them every month for years and I don't see thousands with problems so its not like they are all bad :)
    Exactly they are the number #1 selling mid size Truck/SUV...I would guess about 2% of the dissatisfied owners have not followed the recommended manufacture service plan and never used the Mfg dealer for service till they discovered a major warrantee issue ie; engine, transmission Etc. only then this type of owner wants all the online attention and threatens lawsuits etc. Its crazy unreasonably owner nonsense; when owners follow the Mfg maintenience / warrantee guide plan its easy stuff. Bottom line, if you buy any new vehical you need to get it serviced @ Mfg Dealer and if you choose to go off and do your own thing; you will pay the price for not following Mfg service plan for any vehical; All Manufactures are the same when it comes to warrantee protection and getting claims taken care of. I would Highly recommend letting dealer perform all scheduled service work on any vehical with warrantee protection.

In addition if anyone purchases a used vehical there are dealer reports that show vehical history, the Car Fax Report and several others showing everthing from date and State vehical was sold, engine and Transmission service and also any accidents vehical may have been involved in since inception!
    The problems with 2010 Equinox is less about the dealer and more about the car. Until you own one and experience the problems, you are not qualified to make a grand statement.
  • jessequinoxjessequinox Member Posts: 13
    I followed GM's warranty and service plan to the letter and I still had issues. There was a problem with a batch of fuel pumps that caused most (if not all) of the major issues that I had and that most people on this forum have/had (it affected the engine, crank shaft, timing chain, etc.). These are major components and it took GM years to figure out what was causing them. I feel much safer now that I have traded it in for something else, unfortunately GM has lost me as a customer after having 3 new vehicles that didn't last me 5 years each (and I have family history with GM - my grandfather and father were both employees for life). It was a difficult decision to make, but for the safety of my family and myself it was something that I felt I had to do. Please don't say that those of us that had issues were not following the maintenance plan, as I did. I have all the proof, and it still wasn't fixed after driving the vehicle for over 220,000km.
  • jpatrick2jpatrick2 Member Posts: 17
    The problems may be greater than indicated by this forum.
    Based on owners experiences, Consumer Reports has provided the following info over the past few months.
    *Based on reports from owners of 10 and 11 Equinox, CR gives it the worst possible rating for major engine problems. (4cyl)
    *In its category, Equinox is dead last based on the answers to the question--"Would you buy this vehicle again?"
    *CR has placed the 10 & 11 Nox on its used car "Do Not Buy List."

My own experience with a 2010 has been pretty good, but I would never consider keeping it beyond the 5 year mark. Reading the tea leaves says the odds are against a long happy life beyond that point.
  • rski43rski43 Member Posts: 13
    jpatrick2 -- excellent RE to nox123. As Joe Friday used to say..... just the facts ma'm! I dumped my '10 nox at just over 20k miles when it started the high oil consumption & the tail pipe was loaded w/ black soot all the time. A sniff of the oil on the dip stick was also tell-tale. Never did a dealer oil consumption test, I read up & found out from the git-go what the problem was. Traded for a V-6 2012 that I ordered when they had a $1500 rebate for '12 'nox w/ V6. Gas mileage is not the same of course, but plenty piece of mind & you don't have to wind the pizz out of the engine when you have to 'go". Car only does 12k miles a yr, so gas mileage cost differential I'll take. -R
    Excuse me; I'm over-qualified having owned Two of these midsize GM Trucks / Suv... I have also experienced all the same 2010 4cyl issues I have read on forum and never once did I have an issues getting dealer support; NOT ONE Warrantee issue and always offered a loaner. I have probably owned over 25 new and used cars in my 45 years of driving and never experienced the problems / issues I read that owners put online. The internet has made it way to easy for the average disgruntled or dissatisfied customer to trash talk and overreact to the world about their personal issues. I managed a rather large trucking firm and it was not unreasonable for trucks to log over 120.000 miles a year without any down time..its all about service and taking care of little mechanical issues before large ones happen. Again to answer your question regarding owners qualifing!! Had all the same issues and traded in 2010 4cyl Nox after 3.5 years of good service for a 2013 3.6V6 Terrain.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited December 2013
    If you aren't interested in reading about or trying to help owners with Equinox issues, perhaps you should find a discussion that doesn't have Problems in the title.
    I'm extreamly interested and concerned that owners do not understand how significant and imperitive it is; to follow the manufactures service plans for getting warranty work done and also keep the Mfg warranty active. This is even of greater importance with the GM 4cyl issues we have read about.
    edited December 2013
    There's no requirement that you have to have your car serviced at an authorized dealer to maintain the warranty. (link)

Many people have their own mechanic they prefer to use and it's often cheaper to have work done at an independent shop. Some of us even like changing our own oil.
    I agree; and this is probably one of the biggest mistakes an owner can make with their $30.000 plus investment! You can not beat or argue documented dealer service if you have a major drive line issues under the Mfg warranty. You know and I know without proper documentation your going to be in for a battle if you need major work? Its just this simple!
    edited January 2014
    A relationship with a dealer can help (link) but if you normally keep documentation on your auto work, it's not that hard to prove you or your indy mechanic changed the oil.

And while we're quibbling, cars aren't an investment - they cost a bunch to own and operate. :)
    Agreed..One of the worst investments you will probably ever make!
  • beverly11beverly11 Member Posts: 4
    For the last 35 years I have purchased only GM vehicles and have received excellent service. Then I bought the 2010 Equinox. The fuel pump and timing chain have both been replaced twice. Now I am sitting here waiting for a call-back from the dealer because the Equinox is once again stalling in traffic. I am afraid to drive at night, when it's hot, when it's cold, or out of town, because I never know when the Equinox is going to break down. I will never buy another GM product.
  • ashilynne5576ashilynne5576 Member Posts: 2
    I have had my 2010 Equinox since July 2012. Two days after purchasing it the check engine light came on...they replaced the O2 censor. The light came back on the next day - they replaced my fuel pump. I had no other issues until I hit 60k miles. After 60k I noticed a loud rattle. The dealership I called suggested I check my oil - BONE DRY! I change my oil religiously every 3k miles. I began the GM oil consumption test and my timing chains were replaced. I knew that was a bandaid. I am still doing the test. At 1000 miles I was half a quart low and today at 1920 miles from my last oil change I was a quart and a half low. The service members said they will "open a ticket" and call me next week after adding oil. Needless to say if this is not resolved in a timely fashion properly GM will be facing a breach of warranty lawsuit. They know this car is an issue.
    I'm doing the oil consumption test too. Originally the dealer said so much oil is being consumed because the leaking fuel pump was leaking into the oil. Of course, then GM sent out the notice saying a quart of oil for every 2000 miles was normal. I've had old junkers that didn't burn that much oil. But, as you say, they are just applying a bandaid. As long as we keep bringing our cars back over and over for the same issue, the dealers are happy.
    edited December 2013
    Kindly be advised that once the "leaking fuel pump" mixes "raw fuel" with the engine oil and destroys the timing chain assembly, due to lack of lubrication, major engine damage has already occurred to the cylinder walls, piston rings and main bearings. ------- (You get your oil pressure from the clearance between the crankshaft and the main bearing.) ----- Once they are worn, the oil is pouring through them and splashing upon the cylinder walls. ----- The oil control rings and the compression rings have already been damaged, and the "blow by" has been increased in the engine. ----- The PCV system is pulling wet oil fumes out of the engine block, and feeding them into the intake. That is where you are burning the oil. ---- I cannot believe that GM is not aware of this issue. ---- Simply put, the engines need to be replaced! ---- The question is, will GM take that action? --- Once these vehicles hit the Used Car Market, and they are "out of warranty" they are not longer the problem of GM! ----- This is why I always put a "top of the line manufacturer's extended warranty" for the "maximum number of years," and the "maximum mileage" on my vehicles! ----- If the owner's had a 6 year / 100,000 mile warranty GM would have to fix the vehicle, (as long as the owner has proper service records!) {Another reason to have the vehicle serviced at the dealer.} ---- All my records for both vehicles are at the dealer. ---- This is a VERY SAD situation for the consumer, but on the other side of the issue, it does bring to light the dealings of vehicle manufacturers. ----- Remember everyone smiles at you in the showroom when you put your signature on the purchase contract, but where are those people when you have a major problem with the new vehicle. They all suddenly disappear! ----- Most of my family purchases GM vehicles. At our holiday dinner, I shared the postings of the 2010 Chevrolet Equinox with them, and I encouraged them to go on this site to read the comments for themselves. Most of my family purchases the big SUV GM vehicles. ----- I asked them, how would they feel if they put down a large amount of money and they were treated like the Equinox owners are being treated. ----- They were not very happy. ---------- Dwayne
    I bought the Equinox new in January 2010 and have been complaining to GM dealers about the Equinox stalling and consuming a lot of oil since March of 2012. At 36,500 miles, I took the car back to the dealer where I purchased it and was originally told that it looked like a warranty problem but they couldn't get to it that day, so they sent me home in a rental car. The next day they called and said it wasn't covered under warranty, that it was my fault for letting the oil get low and I was stuck with a bill for induction service and car rental. In July of 2012, at 41,000 miles, when the Equinox started idling rough and stalling again, because the purchase dealer had reneged on paying for the rental car, I took it to a different dealer who replaced the fuel pump and timing chain. In January 2013 at 48,000 miles when it started idling rough and was still consuming a lot of oil, I took it back to the second dealer and they again replaced the fuel pump and balance chain shaft and tensioners and started the oil consumption test. Two weeks later, the car started bucking and jerking and I immediately drove to the dealer where it promply let off a foul odor and died on the spot. At that time they cleaned the throttle body and since then I have been bringing the car back every 2000 miles for the oil consumption test. There seems to be a general lack of knowledge at the GM dealers with how to do the oil consumption test. Every time I get a different advisor, they say the previous advisor did the test wrong. In July of 2013 when I took the car in for an oil change at a more convenient dealer, I asked if they could switch the oil consumption test to their dealership. When I went back in October after 2000 miles, I was again told they had all been doing the oil test incorrectly and it was started all over. In 2013, GM sent a recall to reprogram the oil life monitor. I was also told that the fact that mine hadn't been reprogrammed yet probably was the cause of a lot of my problems. I don't really understand how the monitor effects oil consumption, I thought it was the other way, and that the monitor just reports oil consumption, but I'm not the expert, so I just smiled and took it back to be reprogrammed. This car has me so crazy that I'm afraid every time something rattles. The day it was being reprogrammed I asked them to check out a rattle that seemed to be coming from the front end. It took two mechanics and two test drives but they finally figuired out it was a loose sun visor. That cost me $65 for them to snap it into the bracket. So today, the Equinox started stalling again and I tried to get in touch with the dealer service department. I waited on the line for 20 minutes and left messages, and the only ones who contacted me back were in the Sales Department. So now I'm stuck without a car at least until Monday and who knows when they'll get me in for servicing. My experiences in the past have been that between ordering parts, getting scheduled, and getting the work completed, 3 weeks will go by. In July of 2013, GM finally admitted there is a problem with the 2010 Equinox, and extended the warranty on the balance chain and fuel pump to 10 years or 120,000 miles, but they didn't say anything in their letter about replacing the engine. My guess is that they will just keep replacing balance chains and fuel pumps until this extended warranty runs out. GM has lost a loyal customer.
    edited December 2013
    I enjoyed reading your posting! ----- It is very well written and very objective. ----- YES, you have been treated VERY poorly by both GM, and their dealer network. ----- YES, the quality of the Chevrolet Equinox is VERY poor. ----- YES, you are now stuck with a vehicle that is NOT dependable, and has very little "value" as a trade in on another vehicle. ---- But here is the all important question for every Equinox Owner and / or a person thinking about purchasing a GM vehicle. ----- Do you think that GM and their dealer network really cares about customer satisfaction and customer service? ----- Only you can answer this question. --- I have my own opinion, and I will act on that opinion when it comes time to replace my 2010 LTZ 2.4 Malibu. ----- If I am spending 35,000+ dollars I have many nameplates to choose from on the automotive market. ---- YES, I like my GM vehicle, and YES I have a great dealer, but I could have easily purchased a "GM lemon," and have been treated in a "similar fashion," even though I have an extended warranty, and I have all my service performed at the selling dealer. ---- Customer satisfaction is more than filling out a survey. ----- Customer Satisfaction is standing behind the product, in a professional manner, when there is a problem! ------Customer Satisfaction is making things right! ------ All the best! ------ Dwayne
    No, I don't think GM or it's Dealers really care about customer satisfaction or customer service, but it's only good business sense to worry about bad publicity. I have no way of knowing how many bad 2010 Equinoxes are out there, but I do know that both times I was at the Dealer for the leaking fuel pump/timing chain problem, there were other people there with the same complaints. The first time I was there, the man ahead of me said it was his third time for having the fuel pump replaced, and he'd had the same experience of meeting other Equinox owners in the service area with the leaking fuel pump problems each time he brought his car in. I know it's only anecdotal, but to encounter that many people with the same problem, when you aren't actively seeking them out, tells me that there are a lot of bad Equinoxes out there. Personally, I think GM has another 1960 Corvair on their hands.
    I HAVE PURCHASED 5 BRAND NEW GM IN MY LIFETIME...............AND THEN I RAN INTO THIS 2010 EQUINOX(FIRST CHEVY) FOR ME. IT IS NOT JUST THE ROLL OF DICE THAT PEOPLE ARE HAVING THE SAME ISSUES WITH THE EQUINOX 2010. ALL OF MY FREON ESCAPED A FEW MONTHS AGO. THE DEALER PUT MORE FREON AND RECHARGED THE SYSTEM. I WAS TOLD THAT THERE WERE NO LEAKS. everything was shared with GM...3 MONTHS LATER ....OH YOU HAVE A LEAK AROUND THE CONDENSOR...MY COST $520.00.....ONLY 64K MILES. GM, DEALER AND YOUR EQUINOX 2010.....GUESS WHO IS GOING TO LOSE!
    It has been said that "happy / satisfied customers" will tell 20 people about their experience, ----- but "unhappy customers" will tell 200 people about their experience. ----- Dwayne
  • knoxlemonknoxlemon Member Posts: 1

I also have a 2010 Equinox that has been nothing but trouble. We bought it brand new in June 2010. We have changed the oil every 3,000-5,000 miles and never followed the oil life dummy guide. Here is a list of all the work and replacement parts: 6-10-11 28,265 miles...transmission shifting hard and automatically accelerating... Reprogram both PCM TCM. Strange pinging sound...found tensioner for balance shaft and water pump to have internal damage causing chain slap. Replace the tensioner and balance shaft. 8-29-11 knocking noise coming from enigine...replace links from excessive play in stabilizer bar and verify stabilizer rings in correct place per PIT5090A. Noises continued and got worse. In September we received a recall letter that stated chrome layer on chain may come apart damaged fuel pump plunger causing gasoline to enter crank shaft. 9-30-13 64,664 miles. Upon inspection pieces of timing chain guides fell into oil pan. Chain loose and broken guides.replaced timing chain and balance chain. Also replaced fuel pump because it was leaking into crank case. Parts replaced: chain,tensioner, gasket,pump, pipe, seal, gasket kit, bolt (2), filter, oil, chain, washer, tensioner,guide. Recall12312 oil life monitor update reprogrammed ECM per recall. 12-31-13 Equinox goes back in the shop for burning oil and engine sounds like diesel engine. Jolting, shaking, and stalling repeatedly in traffic. Still in shop. They say they are replacing pistons and piston rings now. I hate this automobile.. Worst decision we ever made. Oh yes I forgot they have no idea why its burning oil even after we showed them the zebra strips letter we found online. GM knows exactly what's going on and refuse to make this right. Telling everyone I know how awful this has been.