Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Chevy Equinox Problems

Comments

• jgjb2499jgjb2499 Member Posts: 2
    I just wanted to mention that I recieved the update for spark knock on my 2010 Equinox last week and haven't had any issues since. The dealership that has been servicing my car is Berger Chevy in Grand Rapids MI. Here is the bulletin # with the udate information- #PI0325. If anyone wants me to foward them the actual bulletin let me know.
  • manda29manda29 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for the info!
  • urdeadurdead Member Posts: 13
    I have a 2010 LTZ that I bought in August 2009 with the Nav system. I have a problem where sometimes after shutting the car off and coming back the radio will change from what I was listening to (ie: XM radio when I left and FM when I come back). Sometimes the NAV unit will reset to Washington DC as well. I have taken it to my dealer only to be told unless they see it happen they cant do anything about it. When I was able to capture it happening on my iphone video camera the said that does them no good unless they can physically witness it. I am at a loss as to what to do this vehicle has had so many little electronic gremlins that needed to be worked out of it. Has anyone else experienced this issue?
  • noxguynoxguy Member Posts: 8
    Dec 20th in Canada this recall was announced; GM announced the recall of 8,356 2010 Chevrolet Equinox and GMC Terrain SUVs. Apparently, on some of these vehicles the software in the Integrated Center Stack can deactivate the heating, air conditioning, defroster, audio controls and panel illumination.

Maybe???
  • urdeadurdead Member Posts: 13
    Came across this last night
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-second-generation-forum-2010/2- 04438-last-played-favorites-remembered-after-shutdown-2.html

Called my dealer this morning and told them about this bulletin and was told until they see it happen 1st hand (Although I have it on video) there is nothing they can do about it. The problem is that it is so random when this occurs that the only way they could witness it 1st hand is to use it as a daily driver for a few days.
  • dmazzonedmazzone Member Posts: 20
    Yes Please send me the actual bulletin, I would greatly appreciate it. My email is: dmaz26@comcast.net Thanks

Diane
  • bjones6bjones6 Member Posts: 28
    I had my center console replaced last winter because the heater and radio quit working in temperatures below 15 degrees. The radio went first; the volume wouldn't adjust properly. Then one day the heater quit working for awhile. That's when I took it in. The dealer replaced the center console, and so far this winter, no problems. It has been down well below 15 degrees several times, so I feel pretty confident. My guess--as a former electronics technician--is that they used a component in the design that could not tolerate very cold temperatures, an IC or a capacitor probably. Tiny part, big problem (when it's 15 degrees and your heater won't work).
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    urdead,
    Can you please email me your VIN and current mileage? I would like to look into this for you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • robin33robin33 Member Posts: 3
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Are we having a problem? This is the second post in the second thread where you say nothing.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Some posts are getting lost since the site upgrade, mostly with Internet Explorer users apparently. I know IT is working on it. Meanwhile, it may help to compose in Notepad and copy/paste over here if you are losing posts into the ether.
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    Well although we can't see the text of message, topic might indicate you have the reduced engine power light and want to know what it means or how to fix. The message indicates the vehicle computer has detected something it thinks may damage vehicle someway so it reduces power (and you will limp along) until you can get it to dealer to have codes read and correction found.
  • kristy8kristy8 Member Posts: 72
    Hi
    yes mine had gone away--well sort of, I hear it for a split second literally
    on occassion not all the time. I don't have a case number I used commonwealth motors of Massachusetts
    Hi
    I apologize for the delay, I don't have a service code I wish I did or a case number, did you contact commonwealth motors yet? perhaps the manager there can help you further, I know what your going through!!!!!!-the unofficial update only took care of my pinging/knocking-NOTHING else, I still have the bucking and the feeling that the car is going to stall...vibrates heavy at times too
    Look at my threads...it's not the fuel pump
    thanks I was waiting fo that....
    even though I have already had the unofficial update done
    I have been waiting since October for the official one

calling dealership this week

THANKS
  • robin33robin33 Member Posts: 3
    2010 Equinox lt AWD V6 with 11000 miles , the engine light and than service stabilitrac light and also engine power reduced lights come on. I took it to the dealer on 12/16/10 and they thought it was a moisture problem with the accelarator wiring. On 12/23/10 it began to do the same thing and the power was severely reduced. I have pulled over and turned the car off but the lights continue. Service dept. closed on 12/24/10. My car had to be towed, completely shut down while driving on 12/24/10. What should I tell the dealer this time?
    I would tell them what you see and remind them you just had it in on the 16th for same problem. Hopefully they can look beyond where they did before.
  • n2icn2ic Member Posts: 2
    This sounds very familiar...

I also have a 2010 fwd, 4 cyl. And, guess what ? It was also purchased in August 2009.

My story is described in detail on another forum.

The short story is this:

In December, 2009 my problem started with the yellow check engine light coming on momentarily, and the car momentarily losing power, once in a while. No codes were recorded. The problem quickly progressed to a much worse problem - the check engine light would come on, and all dashboard gauges would go dead. Lots of codes recorded. Finally, the car died completely and was towed to the dealer. But the next morning, the car started normally. The car spent 5 weeks at two dealerships, was looked at by a field engineer, etc. The case was managed by the GM Executive Office. They never could definitively find the root cause. Finally told me to take it home, and wait for the problem to happen again. I pushed hard for a buy-back, but no deal...they knew well that New Mexico's lemon law is pretty weak for the consumer (they vary greatly by state).

That was 10 months, and 8000 miles ago. Since then, the original symptom, check engine light coming on momentarily and momentary loss of power, continues to occur every few weeks. When it does happen, it often occurs several times within several minutes, then doesn't happen again for weeks. It also comes out of cruise control. No codes are recorded, which means there is no use in taking it to a dealer. I have tried correlating it with temperature, weather conditions, car parameters (speed, accelerating, coasting, etc.). Doesn't seem to matter. Otherwise, the Nox is fine - it doesn't burn oil, the fuel economy is okay, the downshifting is okay...

This isn't much help for you in getting it fixed, but at least you know you're not alone.
  • pam57pam57 Member Posts: 2
    I have had my 2010 Equinox for three months now, and had problems about a month ago getting a vehicle message that said "A/C Off due to High Engine Temp", when I would turn my car off. This was in the winter, I did NOT have the A/C on, and a fan in the front of my engine kept running for several minutes after I turned the car off. My dealer told me it was not a big deal, that things like that happen, and I did not have it checked out. Then today, as I was pulling into a parking place, my Equinox suddenly accelerated and I went through a fence before I could apply my brakes to get stopped. Anyone else had similar problems?
    pam57,
    I would definitely take it in to the dealer. Can you please email me your complete contact info including a good number to reach you, VIN, current mileage, involved dealer, and your Edmunds username (or a link to this page). I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    robin33
    Can you please email me your complete contact info including a good number to reach you, VIN, current mileage, involved dealer, and your Edmunds username (or a link to this page). I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • dynamicdynamic Member Posts: 2
    Well fast forward a few months and we are now getting all the exact problems we had a few months ago, car running rough, decreased fuel mileage, CEL on, and service stabilitrac light on. Really annoying as we need this vehicle to get to work!

Anyways last time they changed the fuel pump, Cam shaft position solenoid, and another valve. So I don't know whether to take it to same dealership who never fixed the problem or a new one. I'm actually glad it happened now because our warranty is up in 3500kms. Any ideas???
  • kerry11kerry11 Member Posts: 12
    Hi, if you need any help pls let me know I may be of help to you. I had a 2006 Equinox and what a mess it was! It was at the dealer more than I drove it, some of the things you are saying about there customer service is the same thing they did to me. I finally called an attorney who with in two weeks had a settlement for me, GM bought my car back full price,tax,down,interest,extended warranty all of it. I went four years with a car that was horrible always had something wrong, struts,power steering,brakes,over flow tank,starter,ignition,stalling etc. any way reply to this message if you need any info from me and I would be glad to help we purchase new vehicles for a reason not for it to fall apart and then get no help with the issues.
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345
    I'm glad that you decided to seek other measures for a suitable resolution, and with impressive success. You don't log in often i see, so thought i would say hi, and let you know someone saw your post that thinks you would be a good contact to stay in touch with. I recall you mentioning this a few months ago. How old and miles were on your 06 when GM bought it back? It sure does make one wonder if that car becomes part of the retail world again, just to cause some new owner grief all over again. I wonder what the laws are in regards to Lemon Law buybacks..
    Is that the ruling it was bought back under...the Lemon law?
    Hi, I had first filed the lemon law but since my regular warranty had just ended 2months prior you do not qualify. So that is when I got the attorney. I would also like to tell you that you mentioned will that car go back out and let me tell you how upset I was when I turned the vehicle over to the dealer and the paper said the reason why they were buying it back. There reason was (Starter problems) can you believe that! how can they do that? so they will take it to action and sell it and the paper work says starter problems is the reason it was bought back.. GM really sucks!!!! My 06 was new off the lot the first new car I had ever bought, when I turned it in there were 42K or 46K so very low mileage. Any questions please contact me I have all the paper work on my car along with all documents from attorney and dealer so lot's of info.
  • pam57pam57 Member Posts: 2
    gmcustsvc:

I would be happy to give you the requested info but not in this public forum. Can I have an email address to which I can send this info?

pam57
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Click on the member name in the post title (gmcustsvc) and the contact info will be viewable in the profile that pops up.
    yesterday here in NE...we suffered through another snowstorm.
    I am happily to say that I was glad that it snowed otherwise I would
    have not have found this new problem, after starting up my car and moving it so we
    could shovel, we found that my 1 yr old Nox is leaking antifreeze....GEE HOW EXCITING
    :lemon:
    I may need to seek you help as well, We purchased a 2010-new equinox with 300 miles on it, after about 4 mos of ownership I have NOTHING but problems :lemon: , I did file a complaint within the lemon law time frame within the yr before it expired, BUT they fixed the problem as claimed through GM, well NOT really as far as I am concerned and now there is a new exisiting problem it's leaking antifreeze and I have to say I have kept up with all maintance as it calls for when needed. My car hestitates, bucks, and VIBRATES so bad that I can't see what's behind me when I am driving. It's not constant but enough to drive me crazy.
    Sounds like it is time to get an attorney!! The attorney I used was very good I delt with him via phone,fax and mail and it was handled with in two weeks he had a settlement. The part that took the longest was turning the car in to the dealer. If you want his name and number let me know I actully found him online and he was very nice. Good Luck
    You are in a cold climate? If so is probably a loose hose clamp somewhere. They sometimes back themselves off and is more common than many realize on some cars and bikes. That is one reason why spring type clamps are used.

This is just thought, it might be something more complicated.

If I had your car, Kristy, I too would be looking to get rid of it by forcing them to buy it back. There are at least 4 others here too in the last 6 months that I would such an unhappy camper if their car was mine. Originally, I was very interesting in buying a Nox, but cuz I couldn't get a std tranny in one has been my saving grace. Since then I have been reading about the issues. I wouldn't trust one now even if they did offer a manual. AAMOF, my interest in the new Cruze, keeps getting wet down, cuz my memory keeps recalling this very thread. I just read about loose and random fasteners laying in the bottom of a door of a new Cruze. As someone who has worked in car factory, I can tell you that these are the types of things that there is basically no excuse for whatsoever in a car company who is trying to regain faith in the buying public who have helped them financially out of the mess they brought upon themselves.
  • colt_herocolt_hero Member Posts: 107
    kristy8:

In spite of what I've read here over the last few months, I still just bought a brand new 2011 Equinox (1LT). But I went with the V6, hoping that I might avoid all the complaints with the 4-cylinder model. I can see where there could be problems with the "4" trying to eke out that advertised fuel economy with such a heavy vehicle. I think GM might've pushed the envelope a little to far with the Equinox and who knows if they'll ever iron out the kinks for every environment this vehicle might find itself in.

Also, just a tip and something I like to do: when you buy a new car, try to stay away from the ones that have hundreds of miles on the odometer. These are usually vehicles that have been transferred from one dealer to another by some salesman on a joyride. A LOT can happen to a new car in 300 miles. You want one with less than 50 miles on the clock (and preferably a single digit). That way you can feel better that the car is fairly pristine from the factory and hasn't been abused in any way by a salesman or potential buyer.
  • dmazzonedmazzone Member Posts: 20
    Hello,
    I wanted to let you know that I had that official update for the knocking with the service bulletin number you provided. It worked like a charm, no more knocking and seems to be quieter too when idling. I am pleased. Thank you very much.
    Diane
    And you are using 87 octane regular gas?
  • ronwelronwel Member Posts: 57
    Could you please send me the acutal bulletin.

freedealsemail@yahoo.com

Thanks.
    Good luck, I had the V6 brand new off the lot had it almost 4 years and it was a lemon.... Got all my money back after I hired an attorney so I would read before I buy I hope you have good luck with your new car....
    You bought the predecessor Equinox. I've got the next generation Equinox. Different engine, different transmission, different everything. I came real close to buying one of those previous gen Equinoxes in 2008. It was a brand new leftover. Had negotiated a price of $17,200, and with over $5000 in GM dollars, my bottomline cost would've been around $12,000. Took it for a test drive and it drove well enough ... seemed pretty nimble and quiet, but I just didn't like it. Didn't like the electric steering, didn't like the "bubble" feeling inside, didn't like the interior. Apparently a LOT of people didn't like it because the rebates reached an incredibly high $4250 (a sign that the vehicle is not selling)! The model I nearly bought had a 3.4l engine built by GM in Shanghai China coupled with a Suzuki transmission. There was also a "Sport" model that came with a 3.6 (I think it was) that was NOT build in China. It was a bit sharper-looking on the outside and the engine had a bit more horsepower, but it was basically the same vehicle.
  • clebo1clebo1 Member Posts: 78
    Please note th years of thes vehicle ,I can attst for a fact, thes evehicles are the biggnes piece of junk chevy-gm has ever made.Many design and mechanical flaws.who designed this vehicle abby-normal.Plese note i have beentrying to get a resolution fromchevy for over 4 years,approx 2000 should make this vehicle suitable for safe driving,but i do not trust it.Too much crazy glue!!!!I have tried to contact the marketing director fo chevy marketing division and also chevy ccustomer service over 100 times.They seem to be willing not to offer anything but give you the shaft!!Therefore i have been stopped and asked about this vehicle many times,but when i produce the many repair order from serpentine belts,rotor,caliphers, cd& radio pler,head gasket,struts and shocks problems.The decision is made for them. :lemon:
  • gordon75gordon75 Member Posts: 1
    Dissatisfation includes:
    1) Tranny (studdering) issue others are complaining about when slowing down 20-25 mph; 2) Poor gas mileage; 3) Restricted turning radius w 19" wheels; 4) Heater stops working after 2-5 minutes; 5) Back up camera out of focus; 6) Road noise could be improved; and 7) Unlocking doors inconvenient. Overall performance is poor. Spoilt coming from driving Chrysler Pacifica. Taking to dealer this week for fixes/answers.

We paid too much, namely, $32,400 for TLZ w/o navigation or moon roof. Regret we believed all the advertising and did not shop around more, especially with other crossovers. Strange there are 4 overhead buttons for interior lights but no homelink. All black interior also disappointing. One button to open all the doors is hidden on dash.
    Sulking in Oregon.
    Funny you mention the door button "hidden on dash". I was wondering where the door lock button was. Couldn't believe it wasn't on the door.

For me, I didn't go crazy price-wise: $26,800 is a "stripped" V6 (although they still jam the Pioneer radio and 18" wheels down your throat which adds about $1000 to the MSRP). Out the door including tax, minus GM bucks and Loyalty rebate was $20,700. Not too bad for an Equinox, but BY FAR the worst car deal I've ever done. Now if it turns out the car is not as reliable as it's two predecessors, I'm going to be VERY unhappy.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    After watching a tow operator open the door on my friends Ford after he locked the keys in the car I can see why GM moved the lock button to the dash. Tow guy took a wedge like you would use to hold open a door in the summer so the wind don't blow it closed and wedged it at the top of the door creating a opening where he slipped a coat hanger down and pushed the elec. unlock button on the door opening it in less than 30 sec. total time. I was told GM moved it to the middle of the dash to meke it harder to open a locked door.
    I think that's a cover for the real reason: one button to wire versus two. You can still put the buttons on the doors (where EVERYONE expects them to be) and make them hard to open with a coat hanger.

But also on the plus side: no rainwater draining into the switch cavities (although I've had this happen countless times on my Taurus over 13+ years and it's never affected their operability).

This "feature" is gonna drive me crazy because it's different than my other cars. Many times, standardization and commonality is a good thing. I would've left the switches in the doors because that's where people expect them to be.
  • roho1roho1 Member Posts: 318
    I too had trouble at first with location but after 9 months with my Nox I like it. It's second nature now. After dmathews explanation, which makes sense, I feel like my vehicle is more secure now. I give Gm cudos, I love the center dash design overall, best I've ever had.
    Well, I think the only people using coathangers to open car doors are the owners themselves (or their locksmiths). Criminals are pointing a gun in your face and telling you to get out of the car.
  • pachief1pachief1 Member Posts: 1
    have problem with day light running lights whan in auto mode lights with not come on dash indigate flashes and goes out any suggestion has to what is wrong
    This is a problem with the running light as i have had the same problems,sometimes it works,sometimes it have these electrical problem. All i get from the dealer is speculation. this vehicle was poorly made and engineered ,even a head light bulb you have top take part of the Grill off just or replace itor get ripped off at the dealer.looks good rives ok but is mechaanically flwed!!! :mad:
    ALL THIS LITTLE TEETHE ENTITY DOES IS TO ASSIGNED YOU CASE NUMBERS.YOUR SERVICE NEVER DOES ANY FOLLUP AS YO HAVE ANY PROBLEM FIXED
    WITH CHEVY-GM PROBLEMS FIIXED CORRECTLY.I HAVE OVER 150 OF YOU E-MAIL AND I AM STILL AWAITING A RESOLUTION FOR OVER 3 YEARS... YOUR SERVICE IS USESLESS!!!
    At this time of year with the low light levels the sensor detects this and turns regular headlights on quite often, even during the day. The dash lights go into (dimmer) night time mode. Turning up the dimmer switch to high can help.
  • jrcketjrcket Member Posts: 9
    Kept my fingers crossed hoping no problems happen with my 2010 Equinox 2LT V6 which we purchased last March.

2 days ago I started the car up and while warming up the door locks went berserk locking and unlocking about 5 or 6 times. When I looked at the DIC it showed service stabilitrack and service rear parking assist.

Shut it down and waited for a few minutes and started it up again, DIC showed same messages (service stabilitrack and rear parking assist) with the check engine light and stabilitrack light were on the dash. Called OnStar and asked them to do a diagnosis and they found out that the transmission was not communicating with the engine control module. They asked me to shift to R and see if the indicator on the DIC showed the gear, I did and no indicator showed. I tried to rev the gas pedal and no response either. So the car isn't drivable had to be towed to the nearest dealer.

Dealer calls me up and said there is a switch on the transmission that was not working so the transmission can't communicate with the ECM. It will take 3 days for the replacement switch to arrive.

:mad: Arrrgh, not even a year and a switch goes out making the car undrivable. Good thing I wasn't driving with my kids when this happened! Oh on top of that I found out that the rear liftgate won't work either as I tried to retrieve my stuff from the trunk prior to towing :mad:

Sorry for the long post but I am seriously thinking of trading this car in even at a loss. I won't be comfortable driving it when i know a simple switch can leave the car stalled and in a possible accident.

Anyway, I gave GM a chance but its looking gloom right now.