Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Acadia Water Leaks

Comments

• gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Thank you for your service to our country, dg79. You, and the sacrifices you have made, are very appreciated!

Using your VIN, I looked into your service request and see that your agent is scheduled to call your dealership today (just as an update on the progress of your request).

Happy Holidays, and welcome home,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • dg79dg79 Member Posts: 5
    Thank you Sarah. My conversation with customer service so far has been plesant, I will be waiting for GMC to make things right for me....
    :lemon: My case with GMC is now closed without a favorable outcome. The customer service representative was very courteous and seemed very sympathetic but was not able to help. The dealership, Mike Shaw Buick GMC at first blamed the problem on a leaky replacement windshield (replaced because the original cracked for no apparent reason.) The company that installed the windshield had it tested and the test revealed that the replacement windshield does not leak. The dealership denies that there is any other leaks and alluded that the vehicle must have been abused. GMC of course is siding with the dealership. The customer service rep did however mention that there may be a defect causing the leaks but to make that determination, I would have to pay to have the car thoroughly examined. Fact of the matter is the vehicle has not been involved in a flood, I have never driven it through flooded streets and I have never left the interior exposed to the elements. The most apparent indication that there are leaks is the fact that the battery box continually fills up with water. (O by the way there is a rubber or plastic drain tube that terminates into the battery box. I cannot think or any other purpose for that rubber tube except to drain water from somewhere into the battery box). Since the vehicle was recalled and worked on under warranty for a leaky sunroof, it is my opinion that either the recall remedy was flawed or the repair was faulty. Bottom line, both the dealership and GMC deny that there is any defect in the vehicle causing the leaks and resulting electrical problems so it’s out of their hands.

The good news for me is that my insurance company, USAA, has inspected and totaled the vehicle and will cover the vehicle under my comprehensive insurance minus deductable. Good news for GMC is that my insurance company will not bother to further investigate the defects.

Again it is my opinion that instead of doing the right thing by taking a proactive approach to determining the true nature of the problem, the dealership and GMC has again choosen the cheap expedient approach of denying there is a defect with the vehicle or warrenty repair and passing the remediation along to me and my insurance company. For this reason, I will never purchase another GMC product.
    :lemon:
    The next ugly development, Mike Shaw Buick-GMC in Colorado Sorings is now charging me for a very expensive repair they made after telling me that the vehicle is not economically repairable. :lemon:
  • sandra33sandra33 Member Posts: 5
    I just thought I'd do an update, it's been awhile. I did notice that after the dealer worked on my acadia it no longer leaked for maybe a month. Then I saw a few drips coming from where the driverside airbag comes out of. All of the other places where water used to come out of quit and still hasn't leaked since. Anyway, I thought I'd wait until next oil change, as it is a pain to not have a vehicle while it is in being worked on. Friday 12/23/11 it went in for an oil change, right headlamp not working and the leak. The headlamp not working was due to bad connectors, and I am told the leak was due to drain being clogged up again. Last time there was no fee for working on leaks, this time it was $39.98. Is there a way for me to clean the drain tube if this happens again? Thanks, Sandra33
  • cocoftwcocoftw Member Posts: 1
    This morning I Googled "problems/complaints GMC Acadia" and was truly astounded by all the hits I received!

I bought a 2008 Acadia SLT brand new, right off the lot and started having problems with it immediately! On my way home from the dealership my car started make a horrible screaching sound that was coming from under the car/tire area. Being a girl and knowing nothing about cars, I tried to describe it to the dealership and basically they thought I was crazy as I could never recreate the sound in the drive around the block with the service tech. After 3 trips to the dealership, they still couldn't determine what was wrong. Within those 2 months, I also started having trouble with my airbags whereas the "check airbag" warning was constantly illuminated. I took my Acadia a 4th time for the airbags and still had a problem with the screaching sound under my car. When picking it up, I was told that the airbag sensor had come loose and was resaudered and that they finally located the problem with the screaching sound after driving my car for a given length of time...it had something to do with the plates inside the wheels heating up and causing them to scrape against something??? Since then, my car has been into the shop no less than 12 times for the airbag sensor (it amazes me how this thing keeps coming loose???).

My car now has 45,000 miles on it and low and behold, 2 months ago, the transmission when out while in route to school with a car full of my carpool kids. My car had to be towed to the dealership and was there for 3 weeks. I had the same problem, as everyone seems to have on here, with the reverse plate and some ball bearings also needed replaced.

Last week I received a recall notice (the first one I've ever received I might add) to fix the headlamp situation.

I am at my witts end with this car and yesterday was the straw that broke the camels back! As I was driving something kept catching my eye in the rear view mirror; sure enough I had water POURING from my rear dome light! It has been raining for over 24 hours and I have now had 5 towels in the back of my car because a bucket won't stay upright.

I am fed up and furious with all the problems I have had and it's apparent I am not alone!!!! I have heard talk about a class action lawsuit and would more than support one at this point. I can't believe our government, via OUR TAX dollars, bailed out GMC when they needed help, but they won't stand by their product and resolve what they know is the biggest LEMON that ever came off their assembly line.
    We would like to establish a Service Request for you through Customer Service, if you like. Please send us an email with more information, including your name/Edmunds username, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • woofa23woofa23 Member Posts: 2
    We are having the exact same problems with our 2008 and now have electrical problems due to the water leaking in. I had to post after your comment on the GM service rep. I wonder if they are actually doing anything with that info or just trying to appear concerned!! Sooo frustrating. Good luck!! :lemon:
    Good morning,
    I'm sorry you're having difficulties with your Acadia; we are available to look into this with you by getting a Service Request set up if you like. Please feel free to contact us via email with more information, including your name, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your current dealership.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    GMC customer service did absolutely nothing for me. Because I have the best insurance company they pushed the problem off on them. My insurance company got screwed but did me right by totaling the vehicle and paying me top dollar value because of the low mileage and otherwise excellent condition. I am now a very happy new owner of a Hyundai Sonata. From what I have read in this and other forums, the fixes they offer for this problem are only last temporarily. I recommend that you do what you can to get the vehicle fixed then get rid of it as soon as possible. Best of Luck!
  • 3suns3suns Member Posts: 1
    Cursed with a 2008 Acadia SLT2 sunroof etc. 114,000 miles later....... Leaking roof several visits but fixed by parking in my garage. New transmission @ 75000 mi. Power seat never worked on drivers side when I used, I'm 235 lbs, worked fine for my much lighter wife. Fuse box had to be replaced because of the leaks. Now warranty is off and the other day all lights on dash stayed on and car would not shut off when key was removed. This happened before and the fix was replacing the fuse box. I decided to tackle this one myself. I removed fuse box from under dash (passenger side behind glovebox). I dissected the box and found quite a bit of corrosion (terminals jumped on the grids). I cleaned the best I could and all is good, and guess what..... Seat works!!!! Hasn't worked for me since 30000 mi. HMMMM did they replace the fuse box or maaaybe a little tap of a hammer until the lights in the dash went out????? I have been a true american car lover collector etc but not sure what to think of this new gen $37000 piece of S#!^. I will do my homework on the next car. Good luck out there all you Acadia owners.
  • kreynolds1kreynolds1 Member Posts: 1
    Hey, I just noticed that water is leaking out of the dome lights behind the passenger bucket seats of my 2007 GMC Acadia. I called GMC's customer service to report my problem and got the response that I need to take it to the dealer and GMC would not be able to help me. File number 71-1043313924. So, much for the major guard warranty that I am out of by 5,000 miles but doesn’t end until the end of March. This is frustrating. I wish I had been aware of this problem before my warranty ran out. I had smelled the musty odor for a while, but I never knew why.
  • frzdawnfrzdawn Member Posts: 15
    • OK so I have this 2008 Arcadia and I had the truck 1month my truck
      is back in the shop again for the fifth time .. today again. The truck wouldn't start after three times it started I got to my next destination and turned the truck off s
      tepped out side the car and it was still running without a key Amazing sounded like someone was shaking a bag of change then it shut off by itself.... I'm really starting to get nervous I don't want the car anymore fearing me and my children will be stranded somewhere ...when I got to the dealer nothing but I do hear a funny nois
    e upfront....not to mention that whine coming from the front :sick:

told the dealer about this the last 4 times its been with them my mechanic says it really sounds like the power steering ....... tomorrow ima having to let them know they can
    Good morning kreynolds1,

I looked up your Service Request and see that your agent has requested you to visit a dealership before looking into cost assistance, and has scheduled a call to you on Friday March 2nd at or after 5:30 pm. Does this time work for your agent to call you? I can advise them differently, if you wish.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    I can understand why you are feeling anxious about these concerns, frzdawn. It looks as though you're visiting the dealership again tomorrow for these concerns? Have you already worked/are you working with Customer Assistance on this? If you would like to get a case started, please send us an email at the address located in my profile (include a link to this thread as my coworker Christina answers incoming emails from the forum and will need context, your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your dealership).

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • wisniewski97wisniewski97 Member Posts: 1
    Strange experience - bought 2008 'certified used' Acadia November 2011. Have been in dealership two times already. Most recent experience - I was making a left turn & as I was just about perpendicular to the cross traffic the transmission quit engaging & I was totally stuck blocking traffic. Two gentleman pushed can out of the way...seems there is a Transmission plate issue. OMG. Husband & I are totally dissatisfied. My two prior vehicles I made it well into the 200k miles range with minimal issues (Buick Regal & Lincoln LS)...I try to support our American Car manufacturers but am concerned with this cruddy GMC experience.
    Good morning wisniewski97,

I'm sorry to hear that your certified Acadia is having some difficulties! Is your vehicle currently into the dealership for your most recent concern with the transmission plate? How is everything going?

Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • kevandkel1kevandkel1 Member Posts: 3
    I'm very disappointed in some aspects of my 2008 Acadia. The issue of the month is now my back moonroof leaks in to my rear dome lights and leaks all over the back of my car making it smell terrible. I spent WAYYYY too much on my car to have some of the issues it has. This one isn't covered by recall and I'm of course out of warranty. Although they look nice and handle nice, this vehicle is a POS when it comes to some stuff. :cry:
    kevandkel1,

I'm very sorry to hear about the moonroof leak you've described in this post. How had you planned on getting this resolved?
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    We have contacted Beck and Masten South in Houston. We inquired with them if it was under the recall that they had awhile back and maybe we had just not received the notice. They said it was not. We need to get it fixed, but doubtful it will be with that dealer anyways. We have had poor luck with them fixing any of our issues with this dealership. Either way it will need to be soon before we have extra mold growing in the backseat.
    I definitely understand. If you do work with a dealership, please let us know! I understand that this isn't always an option, however.

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • annaz2annaz2 Member Posts: 1
    I also have been having issues with my 2008 Acadia. Seems my sunroof is leaking and the water drains down through the dashboard. First time this happened, the air bag light came on but went off a few days later. Then when I would turn the car off, it would continue to run. Next morning the car was dead. I jumped it, drove it to the dealership, explained the problem but of course could not duplicate it there. Dealership said I needed a new battery and the air bag sensor needed to be replaced. (nothing was said about having the sunroof drains unclogged) Had the battery changed only and all was good until the next time I was in the rain and the same course of events occur with the addition of the the service engine light coming on. Made another appointment to have the car serviced in a couple of days. My Acadia has 43,500 miles on it and it is garaged. The other issue is the noise from the steering. Very annoying.

Can anyone that can give me suggestions on how to rectify this or report this to GMC? I am clueless on how to do this and it seems as there are lots of others with similar issues. I really need a reliable car to help with my new twin grandsons.
    Congratulations on your new twin grandsons, annaz2!

If you wanted to get in touch with us about the leak, steering noise, and service engine light, please send an email to [email protected] with: your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership as well as the date of your appointment. My coworker Christina, who answers inbound emails from the forum, will advise you further.

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    hi i just wanna say that i just got my arcadia back from the dealer second time around on leaks i dont have a sun roof but my truck the first time was doing the same when i turned it off the engine was still going so i took it in i was told that there was a leak on the passanger side the circuit board got wet and thats why that happen so they dried it changed the board seal the so called leak .... about a week later it rained out and wet came in on the driver side all over my shoes ... and once again i turned the truck off and it continued to go nothing stops it you just have to wait so i took it back to the deal i was told that the windshield was leaking they replaced my windshield ...its kinda hard to get it to do it while its at the dealer i but somehow they made it do it again so you may wanna mention the circuit board on the passanger side behind the glove box .... and it may go away after that sunroof is sealed ...hope this helps you ... p s i just got my truck back yesterday for this hopefully it does not happen again ..... good luck
    My steering has been making noises for the past 2+ years. I went to the dealer 3 times while under warranty in 3 months and they always made up an excuse and said they fixed it. Never truly fixed it. So good luck!! My current mechanic said he heard they might have a recall on it soon. Seems as though the power steering fluid just disappears. No leaks to the outside of the system, but always ends up low. Weird...
  • clemsoncaseyrnclemsoncaseyrn Member Posts: 1
    I bought a certified 2008 Acadia in Dec. 11. About a month after I started noticing water damage above the drivers side on the headliner. Led me to believe there was a leak, and since then I have only seen water coming from there once, but the water damage has gotten worse. After reading posts on here I see many others have this same problem. A friend of mine has had her 2008 Acadia for 3 yrs with no problems, which is part of the reason I bought the car was because she highly recommended it and I love the way they look/drive otherwise. It is still under warranty, does anyone know if the warranty covers this work and if it covers the headliner being replaced? I want the headliner replaced because the mold and mildew buildup underneath is not healthy. The posts on here that I see are very discouraging and I am hoping the problem can get fixed. I wonder if the car had leaked before I got it, and why did it all of a sudden start leaking just weeks after I got it. I love the car and I hate for this experience to cause me to get rid of it or steer clear from ever buying another GMC Acadia. Thanks!
    Good morning clemsoncaseyrn,

I'm sorry to read about the leak you're experiencing in your Acadia! Have you already had this looked into? If you would like for us to check into your warranty coverage, feel free to send us the last 8 digits of your VIN to [email protected] (please include that you are interested in knowing your warranty parameters in the email).

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • skittypookskittypook Member Posts: 1
    Ugghh! Apparently, I'm just a small part of the masses with the same issues! Are you kidding me - there's no class action suit on the 2008 Acadia's? I thought I heard about a suit filed and in some cases, GMC was purchasing the vehicles back. I was searching the web for info on this when I had to stop here and post a message with folks going through the SAME bolognie! Oh ya, It's raining hard here in Cali this morning - and I've got water all over my dashboard and floor mats! (not to mention the dashboard brake lights and stabilitrak lights NEVER go away - even after spending money to find out there is nothing wrong!) My husband tried to convince me to not take the Acadia this morning becasue of the rain.... I paid A LOT of money for that car - and I can't drive it when it rains! Bull****! So.... GMC, have you ever dealt with a scorn woman that lugs 3 children under the age of 5 around in one of your lemons? You will now.
    yeah im sorry to hear that me i have 4 kids same thing something about the windsheild not being put in right idk .... nice outside body but has Aloooooot of leak mines have a weird smell now ever since i had that leak ....... if there is a pending recall please post when you get info on it :)
    Good morning skittypook,

I am sorry that you're upset, and understand why you're frustrated. It looks as though you've already gotten this looked into at your dealership, is this correct? If we can follow up on that appointment for you and see what else can be done, please send an email to [email protected] with:
    your name/Edmunds username
    phone and address
    the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage
    the name of your involved dealership and a description of any recent visit(s) you have made there regarding this concern

My coworker Christina, who answers inbound email, will assist you further.

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • darafayedarafaye Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2008 gmc acadia SLT last summer after falling in love with it!! It was so sleek and fit our family of six perfectly. However, the love is gone now. Shortly after purchasing it, the head gasket blew and water pump went out. I had to get a rental, and pay $150 bucks for that. Plus, the inconvenience of having to fit in a small car for two weeks while it was being repaired. Thank goodness I purchased the extended warranty because the blinker on the driver side was out too, so I had to pay a $100 deductible. Now, the sunroof is leaking, the gearshift is hard to shift, and don't stand under the rear liftgate because you will get squished!! It's at the dealership now, but the warranty doesn't cover the sunroof, so I'm dreading the bill. The lady at the dealership said I'm gonna have to worry about mold and mildew because my truck was soaked. My 4 yr old has breathing problems, so I'm really worried. Plus, we're going to Florida in june, and I'm scared the air bags aren't going to work because of all the water coming from around the roof ones. Please help!! Is there anything I can do because after reading on here that the leaking roof is usually not permanently fixed, I do not want this pos!!
    darafaye,

I'm sorry to read about the different issues that have come up with your Acadia, and that as a result you're worried about the safety of your family. If we can be of any assistance, please let us know! We can be reached at [email protected] (please include your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your dealer, as well as a summary of the situation).

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • waterfall2waterfall2 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my Acadia based on consumer's report and very happy with it until the past two weeks. Early one Sunday morning my grandchildren sitting in the third seat started to yell that they where getting wet. Told them to stay away from the water because it was coming through the lights. Before this occurance I thought I felt water drops hitting my left foot driver side thought I was crazy - was not water was dripping on my foot. Water runs down the emergency brake onto my foot. Dealer cleaned up the moon roof $150. After next rain storm as I pulled away and water poured out of third seat lights and the new spot was the moon roof and this time water poured out of both locations. The dealer has always worked the car. I have an appointment tomorrow for the new issues. Hope this takes care of it!!!!!
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    waterfall2,
    Thank you for taking the time to post your concerns and experience. Please let me know how things go at the dealer. Please feel free to email me directly. Please include your VIN, current mileage, dealer of choice, as well as a brief description of your concerns. I look forward to hearing from you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    [email protected]
  • casjvscasjvs Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2008 Acadia that is leaking from everywhere. When I lived in Virginia I took it to the dealer about 4 times just for them to tell me they couldn't find a leak. I now live in Italy and brought the Acadia with me. Unfortunately there isn't a dealer here so now I'm stuck with a leaking car. Very disheartening to spend so much on a new car and have nothing but issues with it. We move back to the states next year however I'm afraid by then the entire inside is going to be dry-rot. I'm really hoping GMC doesn't give me any issues when I ask to have the entire inside of my car replaced being that this is an existing problem that they never fixed. I still have all my paperwork where they claim there wasn't a leak to prove it was existing. Why wouldn't GMC recall all these cars and fix the problem??...We paid 42k for a car that smells like mildew every time you get in it.
    casjvs,
    I'm so sorry that you're experiencing this leaking concern while abroad! I am not sure of a direction at the moment, but we would be happy to look into this further if you wanted to email the following information to [email protected]: Your name, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, the name of the dealership here in the states that you worked with and any information about visits for the leaking that you can recall.

Kind regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • dompdomp Member Posts: 24
    Might want to check out the Saturn Outlook forum as well (also Buick Enclave and the Chevy Traverse).

A bunch of us are having the same issues - and then some - and getting no help.

Dry-rot and mildew may be just the beginning.
  • karinabeenakarinabeena Member Posts: 3
    I am posting because I too have had all of these same problems, even just last week. Water stains are on the headliner just above the airbag plaque, water can be seen just dripping from this spot, as well as the air bag signs just behind the first row seats and from the rear light casing and third row seat belts. Over the years the seatbelts have been soaked to the point of dripping water on the leather seats. I had asked the dealership in the past about recalls and had been told there has been no issues. Until I found this post, I was thinking I got the only defect. I love my acadia, but it smells like mold now, leaks and has the water stains, and now my electrical items are being affected. I never put two and two together, but now I am wondering if my children when sitting in the third row for long periods of time, feel nauseaus is because of mold!! I have three little ones, and my daughter has had sinus issues and stomach aches for the past 5 years, hmmm. She is even scheduled for surgery on her adenoids to try and fix this problem next week. The middle row window won't roll back up. My rear windshield wiper goes on and off randomly in the off position. What can I do. I just paid my car off and love the size features and color, but I can't face another rainy day! Please help!
    karinabeena,

I'm sorry that the Acadia you love otherwise has leaking issues. If we can look into this further with you, please send the following information to [email protected]: your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership along with any recent/upcoming appointment details.
    All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Just want to clarify, the middle row window will roll back up when I use the driver controls, just not the passenger middle row controls. The water issues are not from an open window. My windows stay up almost always, its Florida, a/c is the only way to go!
    Out of curiosity, do you have the sunroof/moonroof combination? That's where my Outlook leaks were supposedly coming from. I think the front sunroof leaks were covered by a recall or a warranty. If you don't have the sunroof/moonroof, perhaps I should be keeping an eye out elsewhere for leaks as well.

Good point regarding the mold - my kids get exceptionally nauseaus in this car as well.

Might want to keep an eye out on the Saturn Outlook, Buick Enclave, and Chevy Traverse forums as well. We all seem to have the same problems often around the same mileage points. Good luck.
    Yes we have a moonroof sunroof combo, my husband was against these from the beginning.
  • queenladinequeenladine Member Posts: 1
    Hi! I apologize upfront for the length of this, but, promise it may help if you have this problem and take the time to read it! Unfortunately, I too have had similar experiences with GMC as many of you. Mine also includes major transmission problems that fortunately happened while under warranty and GMC had to repair it (honestly, I am still having some issues there too, but, can't put my finger on exactly what to tell GMC is happening). Anyway, I have not experienced any assistance with the water leak. When I first discovered mine, the dealership directed me to have the drain tubes cleared, which I did for a minimal cost of just under $100. This, however, did not fix the problem. Yesterday, I again went to the "sunroof drain fixer" named Bobby, who informed me there is no clogged drain and that this is a common problem for the Acadia, including new models. He also advised me to google Acadia Leaks (which, of course, I did), to see how rampant the problem is. Further, Bobby stated that he has volunteered to drive a vehicle and try to discover the problem, but dealerships or GMC would not agree to allow it. Bobby, the "drain fixer" said that in his opinion, the sunroofs are too small for the openings as he pointed out to me that if you look below the headliner around the sunroof, you can see sunlight coming through in both the front and back of mine. He said that he has at times adjusted them and helped with the problem, but, as mine is in both front and back, an adjustment would only increase the opening at one side if he adjusted it forward or backwards. I immediately contacted the dealership where purchased. I was advised they were backed up and with 87,000 miles on the car, they did not know if they could do anything to help. I advised them, I would be there shortly and like to speak with the service manager. Next, I took my car to a very reputable automotive upholstery shop known for installing sunroofs and everything else that can be done to a vehicle. After spending an hour running water on my car to find the cause of the leak, it was the owner's opinion that the leak is created when the water comes in and is not fully being directed into the drain tube. The tube is clear, but, for some reason, much of the water is spreading throughout the headliner and thus running down the window support rather than going in the sunroof drain tube. He said a wider gasket surrounding the sunroof MIGHT solve the problem, but, could not say for sure (the dealerships have a bulletin regarding this repair!). He further advised me that if the water is not removed from under the carpet immediately, I would not be able to stay in the car within 3 days, as it would mold, mildew, and smell of rotten eggs. My next stop was Doug Henry Chevrolet/GMC in Tarboro, NC where I purchased the vehicle. I spoke with a repairman and the Service Manager, who advised me that the sunroof is not designed to be waterproof when he shined a flashlight over the sunroof and saw where sunlight (and thus rainwater) comes through. The Service Manager said he would contact the GMC Representative and see if he could get approval to correct the problem at their expense. He also advised me to pull my owner's manual that has an 800 customer service phone number in it and call them as a customer can sometimes be more successful with the request. He then phoned me this morning and advised that he contacted GMC Rep. Cary Studley, who would not agree to repair my car. The service mgr. said he told the rep. that there has been a bulletin issued to dealerships advising that if there is an issue with the gasket around the sunroof, they should take care of the problem. He further advised the rep. that my family, including my husband, myself, and 3 sons, have owned nothing but a GMC/Chev. products (mostly brand new) for the last 20 years, including many Suburbans, Denalis, Tahoes, Trucks, and an Avalanche. We currently own a Tahoe, Avalanche, Z71 Truck, and the infamous Acadia (first time with this one!). I was told the rep. stated that he still would not help as the car is out of warranty with 87,000 miles on it. I plan to call the GMC Representative, Cary Studley at that 800 number, in just a few minutes to further plea with him to fix my vehicle. If he still refuses, I have been advised to call the DMV, who apparently can assist me with the problem and may even posess the power to fine companies if they find they are found to be responsible for malfunctions they neglect to fix. I don't know this to be a fact, but, am surely going to explore it as well as Better Business Bureau and any other organization that I find may be of help, including news programs and an attorney, if necessary. According to what I have seen on the internet from other Acadia owners and been told, this appears to be a widespread, well known problem (or defect that should probably be recalled) that definitely was not disclosed to me upon purchase. This is the first previously owned vehicle I have bought for myself in over 20 years. After wrecking my 2005 Denali, I needed a vehicle fast, saw this, liked it, and, knowing the success we have had with GMC/Chev. vehichles, did not hesitate to make the purchase. I plan to find out who the original owner is and ask why they chose to trade it with only about 20,000 miles on it. I suspect I know what that answer will be. Best of luck to all out there who are dealing with this problem!!! Pursue a remedy! I certainly am!!!
    Please post an update if you make any progress. I'm in the same situation. No help from customer service or the dealer.

I really hope they'll own up to this defect, resolve the issue, issue a recall, and hopefully restore some confidence in GM and restore some resale value in these cars.
    I hope that your call in to the Customer Assistance Center goes well today, queenladine! You should have been issued a case number (71-**********) at some point, correct? If you would like for us to check into progress on that, please let us know!
    Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • salsa5salsa5 Member Posts: 3
    Sorry to hear about your issues. I had the same issue with a 2008 i bought that leaked big time 3 weeks after I bought it with the first heavy rain. I forced my dealer to take the car back after a month and half (it was not easy). I wrote info on this in an earlier post that I can't find now, but I wanted to mention that when I was doing my research on the leaks I looked through hundreds of posts/boards. I came across someone that took their car to a glass/windshield shop. The story goes that if you remove the stationary moon roof from the top, you will find a few extra holes that GM designed the car with that they never actually used in the end. So what happens is when it rains the water overflow drains into the edge of the sunroof as it should but because GM plugged the holes with foam the water seeps through into the headliner. The post stated that the glass guy plugged the two holes with rubber sealant and the car hadn't leaked since. These holes cannot be viewed from the bottom (i.e. removing the headliner) on from the top; that is why the service deparments never find it. I ended up getting a brand new 2011 that had a different roof rack system and has not ever leaked on me (knock on wood!); so I never got a chance to try this. But it makes sense. See if that works.

Good luck!
  • tombenhamtombenham Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 GMC Acadia that has a chronic leak. On December 13, 2011, I had sunroof removed and the dealer body shop installed new drain lines. They inspected it and tested it with no leaks. However, the car battery was died and the check engine light was on so dealer had to run a diagnostic and dry out the eletrical system. All this seemed to fix the problem but I was skeptical about the $425 bux I spent. And I was right.

On May 22, 2012, same thing. Water through passenger side airbag and sunroof. Check engine light was on and car was dead. I managed to jump start it and dropped it off at dealer again.

What is going on here? I see all of these posts, why is there no recall? It's a major safety hazard driving while water gushes into your car not to mention the health issue of standing water causing electrical fires and mold buildup.

Could someone at GM give me some advice?
    Hello tombenham,

I see you've had work done already to try to resolve this leaking issue but this was unsuccessful. What we can do through our department is set up a Service Request, which enables us to contact your dealership to check into progress, and potentially send it to a District Specialist. To do this, we would need for you to send the following information to [email protected]:
    Your name and Edmunds username
    Phone and address
    The last 8 of your VIN and current mileage
    The name of your involved dealership

Kind regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Post an update if you can. I have a similar issue, recalled front sunroof leaks that were covered a while ago. But now rear moonroof leaks causing electrical problems costing $1200+ . Happening again after 5 months? Hoping I'll get more than 5 months.
  • duvillduvill Member Posts: 2
    My 2007 Acadia has been in service 8 or more times for this same type of leak. The dealer has been very accomodating asides from not being able to fix the problem. I can't understand how they can keep it under the shower and run it through the car wash multiple times and not recreate the leak. Then I get it back and it leaks after the first minor rain. It leaks through the airbags, lights, seatbelts, tv and anywhere else it can find. I paid for the repair the first time and ever since they have given us a rental and tried to repair it free of charge. I finally spoke to the service manager and asked him when they are going to throw in the towel and admit that they can't fix it. He spoke to GM and they said that they would take $3000 off the purchase of a new vehicle. Not sure what they would give me for a trade. I think they should buy back the vehicle, but they won't because there are too many miles.