Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Infiniti G37 Sedan and Coupe

1235»

Comments

• sweendogysweendogy Member Posts: 1,310
    no way nissan gives infiniti 3 engines for the G-- They already have how many differennt combinations of G-- if and when they give 4cy for the G it will prob be 250-280 hp-- (higher then nissans current 4's in the states) - plus they will prob go the way of lexus and only offer the lower engine with a manual option- thus killing the old 6speed in the 6 cy-- would love to see them keep the manual and bump HP to 350-- and throw in AWD and I will write the check right now. The gov't mandate to get MPG's up will make it interesting for all these car manufactures to maintain performance and squeeze mpg's
  • sjaievesjaieve Member Posts: 252
    edited April 2010
    "The gov't mandate to get MPG's up will make it interesting for all these car manufactures to maintain performance and squeeze mpg's"

Well since Ford has done that with the Mustang V6, +300HP & 30mpg I dont see why Nissan cannot duplicate this if not better that as well. If history is anything to go by, Nissan tech has always been better than Ford tech so I am pretty confident that not only Nissan can duplicate that but Toyota, Hyundai, Subaru, pretty much anyone you can think of.
    agreed-- lets see what they come up with-- thats my one knock on the g35x 2007 that i have-- car should get closer to 30 mpgs on the highway doing 65-- for the life of my car my mpgs are 18-- yes it spends most of its life on city streets or in the driveway
    You are right, I would settle for mid 20s combined. Its possible this is what the guys in the 335i, S4 and IS350 are getting. I stand to be corrected.
    maybe but all those cars are more coin to get in the door
  • beer4704beer4704 Member Posts: 46
    How much is it to replace a headlight? Why...? I have a rule to never buy a car wear the headlight replacement is $500 or more. If a headlight costs that much, imagine what a transmission would cost you! It stands to reason I'll never own a Jag or MB, and I am fine with that. The G37 has really piqued my interest though, in that it appears to be a sporty, well made car that one could use for business. I have heard all the good things about the 3.5/3.7 motor, so no qualms there. The motor is usually the last thing to go these days It is all the other things that can nickel and dime you to death. Any high mileage drivers out there? I do about 25K per year so I have to be comfortable over long rides. Does the G37 cut it for a high mileage person? I have been spoiled by some very reliable Hondas over the years and don't want to go backwards on reliability. Also looking at Genesis & LaCrosse but the G is leading at the moment. :D I appreciate any feedback.
    maybe check out consumer reports- they have your answer
  • billpaulbillpaul Member Posts: 103
    Also, check out Consumer Report's video of their test track review of the G37 sedan. They take the car to its limits. You will probably need to be an online subscriber.
  • mrcrispymrcrispy Member Posts: 7
    How much difference does the sport package make on a G37 Journey. I know it has a tuned suspension and LSD, but is the steering feel better.

Say you had a choice between these 2 -

1. Journey+nav
    2. Journey+sport

Which one would you choose. I like the tech toys in the nav but don't want to compromise handling too much. On the other hand if the base car is good enough I don't want to pay for paddles, stitching and better seats.
  • poodog13poodog13 Member Posts: 320
    I actually would avoid the sport package myself. I find that on cars like this that are already more sporty than touring suspension setup, adding the sport tuned suspension makes for a VERY rough ride. Real world driving conditions are such that the negatives of the bumpier ride (both driver experience and wear and tear) far outweight the positives of improved handling and feel. You just don't find that many occassions to whip around windy turns at high speed, but where I live the roads can get pretty bad, especially in early spring (pothole season).
    edited April 2010
    We have just purchased a 2010 G37 Sport 6MT sedan with Nav and find the ride is not a problem. It is firm but not jittery (even more pleasant than our 2001 Honda Accord). In contrast, my wife found the 2009 Acura TSX to be unacceptably jittery (as reported by Consumer Reports), and was not willing to buy it (the ugly snout didn't help either).

However, I think the car handles very well in standard configuration, and navigation can be very helpful. If I had to choose, I would take Nav over sport, except that I only drive MTs (which is only available as sport). Fortunately I was able to also get the Nav.
    edited April 2010
    Congrats billpaul.

I have said this before in a previous posting, and someone else made the same observation. I moved from the IS250 to the G35X, now I have a G37xS. I found the ride in the G35X to be more on the Lux side than the IS250. The IS250 tires transmitted way too much noise and each crack on the road was transmitted to the occupants. The G35X did not suffer from any of that. (I am not trying to bash the IS250 here) The only difference I have found with the X and the xS is the steering wheel is much more sensitive on the xS, other than that there isnt much of a difference between the x and the xS. However, the sport package on the X is not the same as the RWD sport package, the latter being more performance oriented whereas on the X, its just for looks really.

Other good news, I am now averaging 22mpg, combined. I reset my meters this weekend, 4000 miles to date. With my experience on the X, as mileage increase, mpg increases. Not bad for 328hp and intelligent AWD.
  • raizelgsraizelgs Member Posts: 84
    I have a 2005 G35 Coupe with auto/sport package. While it took a little getting used to at first, after five years, I no longer notice the harsher ride. Now if I drive a "normal" car, they feel loose and squishy.

If you like a car that is tight, get the sport tuned suspension. If you are looking for a boulevard ride, skip it.
    I have been trying to find a figure of the engine torque curve. Can anyone refer me to a website with this info? Thanks.
    Thank you. Is the 2010 any different from the 2008?
  • dcnatfandcnatfan Member Posts: 20
    We were driving this weekend in our 1 week old new car while going approx 65 mph when the sunroof just shattered. It was open the tilt setting and it looks like it just popped from the inside out. We were not going under anything like an overpass so nothing fell on it and there are no scratches on the roof that indicate a rock or anything else hit it.

Took it to the dealer and they claim to have never seen anything like it but were going to call out some Infiniti engineers to look at it. The sales manager seemed to be indicating that we will need to file an insurance claim.

Needless to say nor to thrilled right now to be looking at another $500 for the deductible on a 1 week old car.

Wondering if anyone else has had the same problem and if Infiniti has assumed any responsibility.
  • mrcrispymrcrispy Member Posts: 7
    edited April 2010
    More like manufacturer defect. Infiniti should replace that under warranty in good faith, unless they claim that it exploded due to being hit by a rock. If they do then I suggest you take them to court and they will have to prove that. As a luxury brand I'd hope Infiniti would not do this.
    that is freak aw-some- your driving along with your new rig and your roof just explodes.. wow- dont know what to tell you on this one but i would google it -see if others have had this happen..
  • krehmkekrehmke Member Posts: 3
    We are in the process of leasing a new G37x Sedan with NAV and just found out that they do not offer DRLs! I am shocked to say the least. Especially for a car this advanced. Our 2007 Ford Edge did not either but the dealer just set the processer to run them.
    Not with Infiniti. They told me to go to an "aftermarket" stereo shop and have some installed. Of course, this will void our warranty if anything goes wrong.
    Is is time to go back and look at the Lexus and Lincoln MKZ....
    Does anyone have any answers for this problem?
    Thanks in advance.
  • srs_49srs_49 Member Posts: 1,394
    If DRL's mean that much to you, I guess so (look at a Lexus or MKZ, I mean).

BTW, why would you go to a stereo shop to have DRLs set up?
    I have been driving cars without DRL's for years, e.g. my 2001 Honda Accord. I recently bought a G37 & so still have the same problem.

My solution has always been to just drive with the regular headlights on. It took 9.5 yrs to burn out one of the headlights on my Accord, which isn't bad. However, this also lights up the instruments/console, and a row of lights on the console recently went out. I have to wonder what it will cost to have this fixed. Might have gone a lot longer if I hadn't been using the lights every day during the day.

So, one solution with the G37 is to drive with the headlights on all the time. However, this decreases the instrument lighting because the car assumes you are driving at night. So, there may not be any really satisfactory solution.
  • smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    All Nissan and Infiniti products in the US do not have DRLs. Personally, I think it is stupid they do this since they are the only ones. Every other manufacture in this country has them standard so I don't know why they just don't join the club. But they really don't have too since its not a law here like it is in Canada to have DRLs!

If you really want them, you'll have to go to another manufacturer!
  • littlejoe613littlejoe613 Member Posts: 53
    I found this info at www.motorist.org/drl/. I also looked around and its not true that "most" auto manufacturers have DRL's in the US. They are mandated in Canada due to weather (whiteouts, snowfall...etc.). Take a look at the cars on the hiway next time your out , most cars dont have' em here's why:

The first, last and only large scale U.S. study that has been completed and published on the effects of DRLs as safety devices, was conducted by the insurance industry Highway Loss Data Institute. The results; vehicles equipped with DRLs were involved in more accidents than similar vehicles without DRLs. The difference was minimal, but the meaning was straight forward, DRLs aggravate other motorists, obscure directional lights, waste fuel, "mask" other road users that don't have headlights on, or don't have headlights period (pedestrians and bicyclists) and their net effect on accident reduction is zero or worse.

Because DRLs negatively effect other motorists, versus the owner of a DRL equipped vehicle, they should be omitted from all new cars by government mandate. Furthermore, all states should explore legislation that limits daytime headlight use to low beam or parking lights. The government, in concert with various corporate interests has sold the driving public a bill of goods that doesn't live up to its advertised claims. It seems only fair that the government and the same corporate interests undo the damage they have done.
  • littlejoe613littlejoe613 Member Posts: 53
    I found this info at www.motorist.org/drl/. I also looked around and its not true that "most" auto manufacturers have DRL's in the US. They are mandated in Canada due to weather (whiteouts, snowfall...etc.). Take a look at the cars on the hiway next time your out , most cars dont have' em here's why:

The first, last and only large scale U.S. study that has been completed and published on the effects of DRLs as safety devices, was conducted by the insurance industry Highway Loss Data Institute. The results; vehicles equipped with DRLs were involved in more accidents than similar vehicles without DRLs. The difference was minimal, but the meaning was straight forward, DRLs aggravate other motorists, obscure directional lights, waste fuel, "mask" other road users that don't have headlights on, or don't have headlights period (pedestrians and bicyclists) and their net effect on accident reduction is zero or worse.

Because DRLs negatively effect other motorists, versus the owner of a DRL equipped vehicle, they should be omitted from all new cars by government mandate. Furthermore, all states should explore legislation that limits daytime headlight use to low beam or parking lights. The government, in concert with various corporate interests has sold the driving public a bill of goods that doesn't live up to its advertised claims. It seems only fair that the government and the same corporate interests undo the damage they have done.
    edited May 2010
    You couldn't be more wrong about the DRL manufacturers in this country .All Honda, Acura, Toyota, Lexus, Chevrolet, GMC, Cadillac, Buick, Chrysler, Subaru, BMW, Audi, Mercedes, VW, Volvo, Suzuki, Hyundai, Kia, and Sabb have DRLs standard on their models.

Nissan and Infiniti is one of the only MAJOR auto manufacturer in this country, I think except for Ford, who doesn't offer DRLs on their models right now. There might be 2 or 3 smaller manufacturers who don't, I'm not sure about Mazda or Mitsubishi but as you can see from the list above, the overwhelming majority in this country have DRLs standard on their vehicles.

Now, I'm not trying to say that Nissan and Infiniti HAS to put DRLs on their vehicles, I just think it be nice if they do some unique/cool thing with white LED DRLs! I think it would really complement the RED LED tail lights they have on a good majority of their products, especially Infiniti since none of their Japanese competition has done a white LED DRL thing yet. They could be the first one if they played their cards right but I don't think they have any intention to do so!

Plus, that is only one study your quoting. I have seen other studies showing that people with DRLs have a reduced risk of accidents since people have a better chance of seeing you then in none equipped DRL vehicles during the daylight hours! I have had more close calls in my Nissan, that doesn't have DRLs, then in my Acura that does. I believe that they do help avoid/reduce the amount of accidents because other drivers can see you better during the day. I'm not saying you can't have an accident with DRLs, I just think they do help to a point and I'm sick of hearing the argument that they can blind people sometimes when they are oncoming. Maybe if you have a eye problem or an eye disease, but for people like me with normal vision, I have never had problems with DRLs blinding me. In fact, I feel I notice cars better that have the DRLs then those that don't!
  • woj207woj207 Member Posts: 54
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but on the headlight knob I just turn it forward to manually turn DRL's on and then I just leave it like that. Seeing as how I"m never in front of the car, does this mean the lights only come on when its dark? because I never have to turn my lights on at night they are always on. Until I turn the car off.
    If you live in the US, there is no DRLs on any Infiniti's or Nissan's! They don't come with them at all. If you turn it forward during the day, your actually putting on either your parking lights, or if you turn it all the way, your actually Xenon headlights would then be on all day!

Again, there are no DRLs on any of these cars! Personally, I just leave it on auto and the headlights automatically come on at night when it gets dark enough.
  • woj207woj207 Member Posts: 54
    OK, then my lights are on auto.
  • larrys8larrys8 Member Posts: 36
    Hello all,

You all have been very helpful in helping me get the best price/deal on my new G. So far I love the car. I am thinking about a few minor modifications. For one, I would love to increase the sound/exhaust note. Can any of you suggest any modifications that would do that (cat back/ axel back, etc.). I am not looking for something really loud, just a little more. I was looking on line at what is offered by megan racing.

Any thoughts would be great!!
    Will NEVER understand why people want their car to be louder. The mfgrs all spend millions trying to figure out how to make the cars quieter. Do your neighbors a favor and leave it the way it is.
  • jtlajtla Member Posts: 388
    For mod questions, you may want to try MyG37.com.
  • bondibondi Member Posts: 9
    has anyone tried any of those performance chips that claim better mileage and more horsepower? have 2010 G37XS. some are advertised as low as $70. seems to good to be true. Thanks.
  • tkogradytkogrady Member Posts: 7
    I asked my dealer if they had any and they said no. Of course, I'm not overly impressed with them
    edited October 2010
    I bought the G37S convertible. I accidently left a pair of running shoes in the trunk and went to put the top down. A warning on the dash told me the trunk was open, so I closed the roof, checked the trunk, which was closed and tried again. Same thing. The next day, I noticed two identical dents and scratches on the roof on both side of the car. The dealer (Infiniti of Willow Grove, PA) basically told me it wasn't their responsibility. So I escalated it to the regional sale rep who said the same thing. This is a $50K car loaded with technology - GPS, Sonar, you name it. But they didn't think to put in a sensor that would stop the roof from damaging itself.
    What's worse - on the next serice visit I took it to a different dealership (Infiniti of West Cheste, PA), I asked them to check a rattle coming from the back of the car. And they told me there were two loose bolts in the roof. They had the nerve to tell me that it was the people who did the body work to repair the roof probably didn't tighten them enough. But the roof was painted in place because there was residue of paint left on the tops of the windows. Anyone else have problems with service with Infiniti? I gotta tell ya, I'm really disappointed.

Link to youtube video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBMHf78-n04
    That's a real bummer, man!

But, I would be hard pressed to call it a defect. Maybe a design deficiency, or a lack-of-feature, but not a defect. Now if the roof had an obstruction detector and it didn't work as advertised, than that would be a defect :P .

BTW, that a was nice youtube post.
    I think it's both - the lack of a sensor or the fact that it would get damaged so easily would be a design defect. The two loose screws they found in the roof would be a defect. But either way, I could forgive that if they would stand by their product, but I'm really disappointed by the lack of service or accountability.
    At what point are we individually accountable for our own flaws rather than blaming those around us?
    I didn't losen the screws in the roof . . .
  • kingpcgeekkingpcgeek Member Posts: 1,051
    Seriously?

Car makers are under the gun to get the MPG up, if it could be done with a chip you don't think they would?
    2005 G35 Sedan
    2007 G35 Sedan
    2008 G37 Sedan
    2010 G37 Coupe
    2012 G37 Sedan
    2014 Q50 RWD

2017 Q60 3.0t RWD
    2018 QX60 RWD
  • civic2001civic2001 Member Posts: 30
    Took my 2010 G37 for a routine maintenance at 6 months. According to dealer's inspection, the front brake pad is at 7.5mm, and rear is at 5mm. Considering the car only has about 6000 miles and even with mostly local driving, the wear seems excessive. Comments are welcomed.
  • richardnvarichardnva Member Posts: 91
    I have a '10 G37x and also like to have lights on whenever I drive. I turn my lights on the second setting (first is auto on/off) and this turns on the lights (and fog lights if you want) and they turn off automatically when you shut the car off. You can adjust how long the lights stay on after you shut down the car in the settings menu. This is close to a DRL, the only potential downside is that your using your main headlights all the time, which is more expensive to replace than a secondary light dedicated as a drl. Hope you're enjoying the G.
  • greenvillescgreenvillesc Member Posts: 2
    I have a brand new (less than 2 weeks) Convertible G37 and I love it. However, I had the exact same thing happen with my roof....less than 10 days old and I have two significant dents in my roof and large oily black spots. My Infiniti has basically inferred that I left something in the trunk - and I had forgotten until I read your blog...that my car was also indicating that the trunk was open. So I closed the roof and went to the trunk - it wasn't open and there was nothing in it.....but the next day I saw the dents. I will cost me $500 for this repair....and quite frankly I am pretty upset about this. I do believe it is a significant design flaw, and for a $50K car with many bells and whistles Infiniti should have done a better job of building sensors into the roof and trunk to prevent these issues. My dealership indicated that a beach towel I had in my car could even cause this kind of damage to the roof. I think that is very inadequate performanceof this roof....
    Sorry to hear about that. Yes - you have to be perfect over the lifetime of the car about leaving nothing in the trunk when you open it. Even the smallest things will jam the roof and cause it to dent. Seriously - a $50K car and they didn't think about putting some kind of protection in to avoid that? Even worse, Infiniti's response was piss poor. I'll vote with my feet and buy a different brand when the time comes.

By the way - have you been getting a lot of creek / gasket rubbing on yours? I expect a certain amount because it's a convertible, but it's loud enough to hear over the stereo.
    So now it's there fault that you can't seem to remember that you can't put the top down while there's stuff in the trunk? So much for personal accountability. Same type of people that sue when they get burnt when they spill hot coffee on themselves.
  • greenvillescgreenvillesc Member Posts: 2
    Hi - no, no creeking of any nature...in fact everything else about my car is perfect...with exception of the roof issues I had. I really absolutely love the car.

My Infiniti dealership in Greenville, SC fixed the dents in my roof, without charge - they knew I was being very sincere in my accounts of operating the car properly, and felt it was the right thing to do. I am back to being thrilled with my car - and will judiciously watch an negative effects with operating the roof. Since it has been fixed the only thing that has happened is that I was getting a square black grease spot on the top of my roof, on the driver side, the first couple of times I put the roof down, driven and when I got to my destination, closed the roof and there was the black grease spot. I took pictures, it happened twice or so...but not since then. Wishing you luck with yours....
    Infiniti of Willow Grove, PA wouldn't cover mine, so I had to shell out the money to get it fixed. $600 bucks. Makes me even more pissed that they they are now starting to acknowledge it's a problem and fixing it for free. Someone else contacted me via YouTube and told me their dealership also fixed theirs. Despite loose bolts in my roof, they still insist it was my fault.
    Poodog - if you read my original post - I'm pissed because the first dealer wouldn't fix it (Infiniti of Willow Grove, PA). After I had it fixed and shelled out the $600, the service department at another dealership (Infiniti of West Chester PA) told me I had two loose bolts in the roof. There was reason to believe this was caused by a defect because the sections of the roof shouldn't press together enough to dent the metal. But I now know of at least two other people who have had this problem. So perhaps it is just [non-permissible content removed] design work. I'm sure if you shelled out $50K for a car that could be damaged so easily, you'd feel differently.
  • fastcarsarefunfastcarsarefun Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at purchasing a 2010 Infiniti G37 and joining the infinity family. I have identified a specific car, but have one remaining concern before sealing the deal. I noticed while I was test driving it, that if I apply some pressure the steering column has about half an inch to an inch of play (i.e. moves up and down a little bit). The salesperson claims that it is natural movement in the gear (like how you can push a car a little bit back and forth when it is in park).

I am concerned that while it isn't much now it might quickly get worse. Does anyone know anything about this? Should I be concerned? Is it normal?
    I do not think that movement is normal.

I have a 2009 G37, and the steering column doesn't move at all.