Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Tracker Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• 2trackers2trackers Member Posts: 2
    The first time this happened, the dash lights, radio light and headlights dimmed then went black. All the power went out in the matter of 1 to 2 minutes. The emergency flashers worked for about 4-5 minutes then went out. The ignition would not do anything, no power what so ever when the key was moved to the start position. The vehicle started after about 1 ½ hours of sitting.

The second time this happened, the dash lights, radio light and headlights dimmed then went black. All the power went out in the matter of 1 to 2 minutes. The emergency flashers worked for about 4-5 minutes then went out. The ignition would not do anything, no power what so ever when the key was moved to the start position. The tow truck had to hook it up to the battery to move transmission from park into neutral. The vehicle did not start even after 4 hours of sitting. The Dealership checked the alternator and battery both checked good and scanned for problems it came back with no error codes, and could not duplicate the problem. Said they did not know what else to do.
    Anyone seen this one?
  • ckarnikckarnik Member Posts: 3
  • sypher86sypher86 Member Posts: 2
    well i replaced the 1st o2 sensor and i got my check engine light off...lol but still no power/bad mileage

i figured id try the cheaper one first, am saving up for a new cat converter, will post results, or lack there of.
  • 2trackers2trackers Member Posts: 2
    for info to others further checking by another dealership revealed diminishing output from the alternator the longer the car ran, bench test confirmed failed components. resolution replaced alternator.
  • frustrated49frustrated49 Member Posts: 1
    I ended up with my husband's 2001 Tracker when he had to go out of town for work and it wouldn't start. I had it towed to a garage and the spark plugs were replaced, but I was told that the timing chains also needed to be replaced. They initially only changed one, but when they started it, it still made noises. They also said that they had to clean out the oil pump pick up tube. When I got it back, it had smoke coming out the exhaust all the time (lots of it). I took it back and they replaced the PCV valve. It still smokes, but not quite as bad, but is especially noticeable when I start it, have to idle, or when it goes into passing gear. I am afraid to drive this car because I don't want to blow it up. What else can be done? :
  • aar08aar08 Member Posts: 3
    I have to THANK everyone who put information on this web forum. I was driving out of my neighborhood on a Friday evening and could not steer my 2003 Tracker. It is a holiday weekend. I am sure to be stuck until next Tues to get any service .... After Googling the problem and getting this forum and reading ALL the things others have posted - I had a good idea of what needed to be done. I called 1800chevusa first but no one available in the 'medium duty' dept to talk to.
    I learned NOT to take it anywhere but the dealership because of qualifying for the special coverage.
    I took a chance on calling the dealership where i bought car originally and still go to and this on a Sat. I explain all the info I learned here and they said to have it towed in ASAP to see what it is. my service guy was aware of the 'crossmember failure corrosion' Special Coverage' for my car but did not know if that was my problem.
    I had visions of a costly repair as my Tracker was towed away.
    By three o'clock I got a call From him and he told me the steering belt was replaced and there was a hole in the crossmember that was replaced.
    They had my car ready at four o'clock and it was about $150. Including the towing.

Thank you all for your info!! It gave me so much to be better prepared for this issue and to get my car towed, serviced and ready in an afternoon on a holiday weekend was amazing!
  • herasdayherasday Member Posts: 1
    I am aware that this post is some months old, but felt compassion for the poster, having "been there, done that, got the t-shirt". And maybe this information will help someone else. Don't be so sure that those other Trackers have not had the engine replaced. I am still driving my Tracker since I could not afford to buy a replacement vehicle, I had to go with the replacing the engine. When the timing chain breaks it chews up your engine in a matter of seconds and destroys it. Depending on which one breaks first (I am told there are two in the 2001 Tracker) you may limp along with your engine rapping harder and harder for a few miles before it will not keep running anymore. My Tracker engine blew for no apparent reason. (full up with fresh oil only a month or so after oil change, no oil system malfunctions, no other malfunctions, no overheating, or any other problems that would lead to engine seizure). I was really upset to say the least. My mechanic was less than interested in finding out "why", just told me the engine was shot and prices he could get for new or rebuilt engines, etc. So, not sure about your 2000 but here's what I found out with internet research about my 2001 2.0, to the best of my understanding. (I am not even in the "backyard mechanic" category, so some may be incorrect, inaccurate or wrong terminology. But its more than I could find out from anyone at Chevy dealership or my regular mechanic and DEFINITELY more than I could find out from manual or service or engine specs anywhere). 1. There are actually two timing chains an upper and a lower. 2. Neither one will be listed as a maintenance/change out item by Chevy and there is certainly nothing in the manual about them. 3. One or the other will probably break somewhere between 60,000 and 100,000 miles if you keep the car long enough. 4. When it breaks (one or the other) the amount of driving time you have left will vary, depending on which one broke, how many rpms the engine was doing when it broke, and blind luck. If that is what it is, there will be no warning and it doesn't matter if you continue to drive it until it quits or you get somewhere you can stop safely because the damage is already done. 5. The timing chains are actual chains on the earlier tracker, made of metal like the "old days" not the newer type that are apparently non-metal in some vehicles these days. 6. Chevy doesn't warn you of anything regarding timing chains on a Tracker. Nobody knows when their timing chain will break, when it should be checked, when they should be replaced because there are no specs for this. Your regular service station or Chevy dealer will not advise you that you should replace or have them checked at any time because because in their books and maintenance schedules its supposed to be a non-maintenance item.

So, I'd say around 60,000 miles try to find someone who will replace them even though no one can find any information on when they should be replaced. 7. You are NOT alone. I found a lot of posts of people who had their timing chains break on Chevy Tracker and chewed up their engine. Some made it all the way to 120,000 miles. But most were between 60,000 and 100,000. All were complaining that nobody had a clue when they should be checked/replaced because they are listed as a non-maintenance item so no mechanics ever suggested it was "time". Even after your engine blows mechanics are disinterested in timing chain investigation to see WHY it blew because of this sad fact, and it may be hard to get anyone to replace it since they will feel disreputable for replacing something that is not supposed to need replacement. Good luck to you. I hope you got a good deal on a replacement engine.
  • disgusted101disgusted101 Member Posts: 1
    We made it to a little under 155,000 miles... Just went for no apparent reason!!! We have a 2001 2.0 4x4 tracker, I guess we will be looking for another engine? Any ideas where to buy one? :sick: :mad: :cry:
  • disgusted102disgusted102 Member Posts: 1
    It will cost us, any wheres from $2000 to 3600 to repair our 2001 Tracker!!! Anyone with any good places to buy rebuilt or crate engines from? :mad: :mad: :mad:
  • ebrittanebrittan Member Posts: 3
    Going to leave our 2001 Chevy Tracker 4x4, 2 dr. soft and hard top in Mexico this winter. I have driven it back and forth between Ontario Canada and Mex. 3 times. Now I am going to leave it there.

Some parts are there but they tooled up for the Trackers differently and although the truck looks the same some of the parts are not. Thing is I don't know what parts are inter-changeable. I am thinking I may need to take front end suspension parts.

Any ideas on which other parts I should take with me. The truck has 215,500 K's and has been pretty much worry free with only routine maintainence.

Thanks for any ideas you may have

eb
    The control arm linkage on the 2001 Tracker (I hope to leave in Mex. and then fly for the winters in future) makes a irritating squeaking noise. How do I get at the linkage? The noise still comes from the drivers side with both wipers pulled forward off the glass. I have tried spraying lub down at the base of windshield wiper arms but no luck. How do I get at the hidden moving parts please???

Thanks for any help

EB
    great reply.....I searched through the service guide and asked the dealer but no luck.

OK so has anyone replaced the timing chains on a 2001 Tracker knowing they could go between 60,000 and 150,000 miles? If so what is the cost and how difficult is it?
  • cdl2cdl2 Member Posts: 15
    I'm working on replacing the timing chains now!!! I've got the whole front end removed , except the condensing coil. I can't get the bolt out that holds the lower pulling on. I've tried a chin wrench & a breaker bar, a 600 ft lb pnumatic impact gun, etc.
    Any idea's?????
    I'm working on mine now. Cost isn't to bad if you can do the work youself, I'm thinking around $200 with parts from NAPA.
    Can't get the lower pully bolt out, but as soon as I can get that out I can tell you about the rest of it......LOL
  • pts801pts801 Member Posts: 1
    My chain went out last week at 67,000 miles. looked high and low, found a great deal at Faith trading. this is a web site I found on ebay. parts were $107.00 with free delivory. set included 4 sprockets- 2 chains- 2 tensioners
    and sling bracket that fits on top. A great deal indeed. It took me 8 hours to complete. Trying to get both cam sprockets in place is a bear. I sugest that if you attempt this yourself take lots of photos and label every bolt and nut.
  • snicholsnichol Member Posts: 28
    I apoligize for not contacting you sooner ... I can't help you much in the mechanic deptartment (been out of it for over 50 years!) but I can speak from experience on my 2001 Chevy Tracker.
    You may have seen my eariler posts when my timing chain broke on mine at 120,000 mile!?
    This is what I learned/experienced: :cry:
    The engine is considered what is called a "Zero Tolerance" engine. There is NO CLEARANCE between the Valves and the Piston heads, zero clearance.
    When the timing chain breaks, the valve are no longer in sync with the pistons. If it is running and turns a complete revolution... BENT VALVES!

This happened on mine, it was running at 60 miles an hour when the chain(s) broke. It bent all the valves before I could even slow down and stop.

I would suggest you do an engine compression test to make sure this is not a problem before you waste any more time/money on it.

It was going to cost between 3,000 to $5,000 to rebuild or replace (Short Block) the engine! (Houston Prices). I started searching the internet and had a friend mechanic do some searching online also.
    He found a wreacked tracker in Lousisana with low millage (around 30,000), that we had shipped to his shop in Pasadena and he changed it out for me.
    Engine cost, about $1800 shipped, total cost with labor and parts around $2400 driving out the door.
    My tracker is still running with about 250,000 miles on it.
    Although it's parked right now, as I believe it has the "Rusted A Frame" problem in the front end. I ran over some railroad tracks one day and afterwards it developed a shimmy and the steering geomemtry doesn't act right.
    So, that's my next project. I Love the Tracker, I bought it Brand new and it's been a dependable vehicle until this occured.
    So, back to your situation...
    ... run a compression check on the engine. If it won't hold a compression in each cylinder, pull the heads and visually check if valves are bent and if the piston heads don't have holes punched into them. If it does, shop for a short block, or a junk yard special like I did.

I feel your pain... Good luck! :cry:
    Sam Nicholson, Pasadena, Texas
    2001 Chevy Tracker, 4 Door, Auto trans, 2 wheel drive.
    About 260,000 miles.
    (Another problem you might not be aware of, my Air conditioner doesn't work. The Compressor destroyed itself and scattered junk thoughout the system. A second conpressor lasted about a month before it destroyed itself also(due to the junk in system).
    They(The Manufacturer - SUCK-zuki) :P redisigned the compressors to be smaller and left-out space for the lubricating oils to reside, thus when it develops a leak, before you stop and realize it, it loses oils, thus, compressor destroys itself.) :mad:
    So now, I drive with the windows rolled down! :shades:
    How did you get the bolt out of the lower pully?? The one on the crank shaft.
    I'm fighting like crazy trying to get mine out!!
    Thanks
  • snicholsnichol Member Posts: 28
    I'm sorry, I can't help you there as my Mechanic changed out the engine and did all the work for me. I don't have a clue as to what he had to do to open it up. He did have it open and showed me all the parts and the broken chains.
    I can't get in touch with him as he has closed his shop and moved since then.
    I might suggest you try to get in touch with a local Suzuki dealership and ask them, since the engine is really a Suzuki and Chevy folks don't usually work on then. (They may have manuals on it so you could look it up. Get the right year as I heard that all years changed somehow.)
    If I get any information, or find out how, I will let you know.
    Regards,
    Sam Nicholson
  • gadgetbeargadgetbear Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    My 2000 Tracker with the 2.0L has a small (5/8 inch) hose branching off the top radiator hose, and crossing over in front of the block to a fitting at the base of the inlet manifold, right under the throttle body. It brokand I replaced it. What is this hose for? Isit for the automatic choke?
    Thanks!
  • jdungyjdungy Member Posts: 5
    does anyone have source for the three part idler on the 2.0 engine. I replace the tension idler and I have not been able to locate the proper idler pulley. I don't seem to be able to find a source for an original, or a part #. The one I have does not have, purchased as a direct fit, the right size hole, it has an adapter, it does not have any support at the base of the stud, therefore it flexes and causes the belt to slip. I have sort of mickey moused one on there but I am not all that confident with the installation.
    Thanks
    Jesse
  • tndrhrt57tndrhrt57 Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever find the piece you were looking for ? I have a 2000 tracker and am looking for the same piece as well as the one that goes across the top of the tailgate. If you found it can you please point me in the right direction?
  • palkopalko Member Posts: 16
    Does anyone know where the PCV valve is located for a 2004 chevy tracker 2.5L V-6 ? I've looked all over the place and can't find it.....thanks.....palko
    I may have found something that will work. I bought a deeper pulley. I put some flat washers behing it to get it back under the belt. I have since put it through a test. I put 1016 miles on it last weekend. Everything worked fine and no flexing, I still would like to fine the orginal type part but this will do until I find one. I am still looking if anyone finds one.
    Thanks Jesse
  • redcar3redcar3 Member Posts: 3
    I own a 2001 Tracker & recently hear a noise that increases with speed. I thought it was a wheel bearing & even though it was replaced the noise is still there. My mechanic wants to have my car for a couple of days to figure it out, which sounds expensive to me. Anyone with similar problems. My car is regularly maintained, runs great, I love this car, but don't like the noise, even though my mechanic has assured me that the vehicle is perfectly safe to drive.
    I own a 2001 Tracker which is regularly maintained, runs great & costs very little in maintenance. Recently I noticed a noise which seem to come from the front, so thought it was a wheel bearing. My mechanic agreed & replaced the bearing but the noise is still there. The faster the car goes, the louder the noise becomes. My mechanic wants to have my car for a couple of days to try & figure out where the noise is coming from, which sounds expensive to me, so I wonder if anyone has any similar problems or suggestions?
    I have a 2001 tracker that is very well maintained & recently I have a noise that I thought was a wheel bearing. My mechanic replaced the wheel bearing, which was rusty, but the noise is still there. He assures me that the car is safe to drive. The noise increases with speed & seems to be getting worse. My mechanic wants to have my car for a couple of days to find out where the noise is coming from but that sounds expensive. If anyone has any ideas or tips it would be appreciated.
  • brilliantinabrilliantina Member Posts: 1
    Hi guys , I am new here. I hope someone can help me.
    I have had major work done to my 2003 chevy tracker ( that I adore!) Most recent was a cam/shaft sensor replaced...( before that fuel filter, fuel pump... my wallet is crying out in pain)
    After they installed the new sensor... i noticed a new prob. Whenever I have my ac on, and brake at a light or stop sign or whatever ...my car squeels and my steering wheel shakes/ vibrates and also makes a pounding noise.
    When I drive with out the Ac on no probs. People tell me its warped rotorss, un balanced tires, a belt or pulley loose in the ac, brake disk prob...everyone ( some mechanics) say something different... I am so in debt from getting things fixed on this car...many things I DID NOT NEED... and wasnt the real problem( but they arent gonna take the part back and refund my $ , lol! ) A mechanic even said its transmission ...NOT!
    iF ANYONE CAN GIVE ME SOME ADVICE , I'D GREATLY APPRECIATE IT!!! :confuse:
  • kvogykvogy Member Posts: 2
    Where can I find the L cover you mention in this post?
  • arkainzeyearkainzeye Member Posts: 473
  • kvogykvogy Member Posts: 2
    I know where it is in the car, I need to purchase the L shaped cover
    does anyone have a source for the seat inserts, the foam pads that go under the cover? Mine are just about to give it up, especially to the area on the lower seat back, and the back of the seat, where you land everytime you get in. If no source is available, do you have any idea how to come up with one. I have not been able find a used one.
    Thanks
    Jesse
  • colinwillcolinwill Member Posts: 1
    Hi Everybody!

I bought a 2003 tracker 4 months ago and I think it might be time to change the oil. In the manual it says: "SAE 5W-30 is the only viscosity grade recommended for your vehicle", and, "Do not use other viscosity grade oils, such as SAE 1 OW-40 or SAE 20W-50 under any conditions."

However, I have read and been told that SAE 20W-50 should be used for older engines.

What should I do?

Thanks in advance.

Colin
    I would go with what the book say's.
    I have the 2.0 engine & use Mobile 1 full synthetic for high milage. No problems & I only need to change my oil once a year
    I've been trying to get the bolt out of the lower puller for over a month, finally I put a map gas torch on it, let it cool & hit it with a 600 ft lb impact wrench. That broke it loose. I tried a bunch of other stuff too.
    Now if I can get a few hours I can get the timming chain cover off & get at replacing all that stuff in there.
  • jamie177jamie177 Member Posts: 1
    I have been looking at a hundred different posts on how to change the rear licence plate bulbs. No one seems to know how. I'm talking about removal of the plastic covers. Changing the bulb part is easy....its the covers I can't figure out. Thanks
  • gdrohangdrohan Member Posts: 1
    Hello, new to forums, but wanted to post a question. I have heard mixed information about the capacity of the Chevy Tracker. I have a 2001 and want to put a lightweight plow ( approximately 250 lbs.) on the front end. Visually, the frame looks pretty decent. Has anyone heard of disaster stories with the front end of the tracker? Thanks.
  • orchidericorchideric Member Posts: 1
    I have the EXACT same problem....my harmonic balancer/ crank pulley has seperated..... I did all above too...lol water pump, alternator...hehe.live and learn..lol ...But WHERE DO i GET A HARMONIC BALANCER? I don't have a gm dealer here on the island... can't seem to locate one for my 2001 chevy tracker 2.0...any ideas??? orchideric at yahoo dot com
  • donramdonram Member Posts: 6
    I have been running a Snowbear personal use plow on my 2.0L 2000 4-door tracker for 3+ years with no problem. Previous to that I used it on my 1.8L 1994 Suzuki Sidekick. With the Sidekick, eventually the body and frame rusted badly that the plow could no longer lift of the ground but the Tracker seems to be stronger in that area and the mounting bracket is bolted on more solidly into the chassis rails.
  • sv9779sv9779 Member Posts: 4
    I don't remember where I got mine. Have you checked with some of the local auto supplies. Could probably find one on line and have it delivered.

Good Luck
    Steve
  • 02rr02rr Member Posts: 7
    Hi jamie177,
    I have a 99 tracker convertible I changed my bulbs a couple of years ago,as I remember it they are small round covers to remove them push them in and unscrew them 1/4 turn. Maybe some WD40 if they are tight. Hope this helps.
    Frank
  • hilldudehilldude Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2011
    Any one know how to prgram the keyless remote.One place I found said to place a jumper on the data port but do not see it.another had about eight steps to go through tried that no go.thanks for any help.
    OK, here it is.
    Finally got the timing chain cover off. I had to remove the stud in the center of the chain cover & the two studs going into the cover from the oil pan.
    If I couldn't get that done, the book said to drop the front axle, disconnect the trans from the engine & raise the engine to drop the oil pan.
    Replaced the chains , guides & tensioner.
    The small chain on the cams wasn't streched at all, but I think the big chain off the crank was streched.
    I couldn't get the marks to all line up. They were about half a tooth off.
    It starts & runs good, but I'm still working on getting the stat to open. BTW, the stat has to be lined up with a mark on the block.
  • biggerhammerbiggerhammer Member Posts: 1
    Where is it????
  • subarumudsubarumud Member Posts: 4
    Hi there, i have the same problem, did you find a fix ??? I have replaced all brake lines on the back half of the vehicle and tried the master cylinder and have fluid in all my lines without any air bubbles coming out. The brake pedal will not go tight for me and I am wondering if its front caliper issues or wheel cylinders in the rear but i dont think this to be the problem.
    I did mine on a 2000 Tracker by holding down both lock and unlock button for 7 seconds and it went through the cycle and has worked ever since.
    Hope this works for you
    Jesse
  • vanner1vanner1 Member Posts: 12
  • mireklabmireklab Member Posts: 1
    Hello

I have similar problem with my Tracker 2000
    The problem was with the condenser fan, one blade was brocken and the fan was unbalanced causing the vibration

hope this helps

Mireklab
  • shinsecshinsec Member Posts: 1
    I too am experiencing the rumble/vibration (with no steering wheel shimmy) effect in my 2002 Tracker. This has been going on for some time now; it occurs between 55 to 60 mph. No symptoms from slower to faster than those speeds. I figured it was a ply separation or balance issue. I was slated for a tire change which I had performed two months ago, to include balancing and a thrust alignment. The issue is still there, and so amazing as how the rumbling starts and stops; it's like someone flipped a switch.

Any ideas, anyone?
    Pulled radio on
    tracker to install XM radio what is the size plug on the antenna, the radio is a delco it is a odd size. the XM adapter requires a standerd type plug.I need to find adapters.