Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Tracker Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• oceangirloceangirl Member Posts: 9
    I have a 2002 tracker 4x4 automatic, to the left of the gear shift between my bucket seats, is a rocker switch (small black), says POWER on/off. You may have accidently switched it.(This pertains to when the car is in 4wd or towing. If that doesn't turn it off, there maybe a bad connection from the switch or the dash light.)
  • hotone1972hotone1972 Member Posts: 2
  • yeldarb82yeldarb82 Member Posts: 1
    I installed new head upper and lower timing chains and etc.... so I got the car all together and i started it up it ran great but the check engine light was on so i shut it off then procceded to find that i hadnt plugged in the coolant temp sensor so i plugged it in and then the car wouldnt start. car was found to have spark and fuel so i adjusted the cam positon sensor and had to move it all the way up to get it to run. It runs good in that position but i am wondering what would cause this serious jump in timing just by having plugged in the sensor. b4 i put it back together i had rotated the motor over by hand just to make shure the timing chain was in the right position and not going to jump any teeth.
  • palkopalko Member Posts: 16
    I have the same problem on my 2004 tracker. When it gets to 15 degrees out or less, I can hear this problem. After driving it goes away, as long as the temperature goes up locally. This began on my vehicle @ 6000 miles. Chevrolet had the vehicle 3 times on cold overnight occasions and could only say it was the brake rotors buildup of rust that caused this problem. They would shave the rotors and the problem still existed. I took GM to court under the lemon law and we settled out of court. I still have the vehicle @62000 miles and it still makes this noise@ temperatures less than 15 degrees. I don't know what causes this. the front end is tight and the ball joints are still good. The CV boots are still intact.
  • coffeecatcoffeecat Member Posts: 7
    Right at 2500 rpm my 2003 2.0 L Tracker started making a wired engine noise. It sounds a most like the fan hitting the shroud. Very loud but not like a metallic noise that you would usually hear coming from an engine if something was wrong.
    Anyway, the noise happens whether the car is moving or not. I took off the serpentine belt and the fan belt and started the engine. Same noise at 2500 rpm. If I speed up or slow down the engine then the noise goes away.
    Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
  • tlao1975tlao1975 Member Posts: 3
    I have owned a 2003 Chevy Tracker, 4 dr. 4 cyl. 4x4 base model for the last two years. I've put about 13,000 miles on it since I bought it, and until now have not had any problems (at least until this winter, but that is another problem I'll have to post elsewhere!). Recently right around 45 mph she starts to vibrate oddly, and comes out of it when I accelerate or drop to a lower speed. Any ideas as to what might be causing the vibration? I'll have to take her in for the 60,000-mile maintenance this summer and would love to get this problem fixed at the same time. Thanks for any help!
  • coffeecatcoffeecat Member Posts: 7
    Your problem sounds like an out of balance condition. Have you had your wheels balanced? Been diving in mud/4 wheeling? Sometimes enough cakes on the back of the rim to throw off the balance.
    Winter problem. I had a door handle snap off this year. Stupid me for yanking on a frozen door.
  • tlao1975tlao1975 Member Posts: 3
    Saturday I had my studded tires swapped over to the all-seasons I use during the summer, and they balanced them then. I had the same vibration problem over the winter with the studded tires, which were also balanced when they were changed over. I've never had occasion to take her off-road yet so I'm fairly sure it isn't mud build-up.

I can sympathize with you about the broken door handle. I live in northern Maine, and during a period of -40 temps this winter my grille shrank and the chrome began to blister; and the driver's side scuff plate split when a friend stepped on it trying to give me a boost. Plastic isn't made for sub-zero weather!
  • seak_quenceseak_quence Member Posts: 2
    Hey guys, I have a question about a piece that broke off of my Chevy Tracker 1999

The black plastic lumbar (if that is what its even called) that holds my softtop in place broke off. Tracker parts are hard enough to find as it is, so it may be needless to say that I have had no luck in finding a replacement.

To give you a better idea of which part I'm talking about exactly, it's the black plastic bar where the top of it holds the softtop so it is firmly stretched snug against the metal (closest to the moon roof)

Anyone know where I can find one of these?? I checked all over the web with no luck. :cry:

My glovebox handle also broke off, if anyone knows where I can buy a replacement, please let me know

Thanks all!!
  • chiefsfan2chiefsfan2 Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE 2001 TRACKER 2.5 WITH RATTLE IN ENGINE REMOVED TIMING COVERS CAN NOT FIND ANYTHING OBVIOUS. HAS ANYONE HAD SAME PROBLEM. SHOULD I GO AHEAD AND REPLACE CHAIN AND TENSIONERS
  • vanner1vanner1 Member Posts: 12
    Power switch changes the "hard shift" points. You'll go higher in rpms before it upshifts. Lets it get to the "optimum" torque peak or near there anyway.

I agree with the others - you should have the transmission serviced or at least the fluids dropped and refilled. I recommend a complete flush and new filter and modulator valve if it hasn't been done. Fluids should be changed at probably 75K miles.

You can easily check to see if you're frozen in the power mode by turning it off and seeing at what rpm on the tach it shifts from first to second under full acceleration. Ten turn it on and check again.

My 2000 Tracker 4dr with the 2.0L 4 now at 117K miles is one of the very best vehicles I've ever owned and I've owned a few good ones.

I do wish they had never used those stupid plastic "Christmas Tree" posts to anchor on all the exterior plastic. I've been chasing around replacing the missing ones on almost a weekly basis lately!
  • docman1967docman1967 Member Posts: 3
    I'm getting ready to change the brakes on my tracker and I figure a tune up wouldn't hurt at the same time. So far I know I need to change the plugs, wires, fuel filter and air filter. Is there anything else that needs to be changed at the same time? Also is there a way to turn the lights off? The lights come on automatically and I can't for the life of me figure out if there is a way to turn them off. There is an old drive-in movie theater close by I want to take my wife to but if I can't get the lights to shut off then it's going to be quite annoying if I start the car during the movie. Thanks for any help anyone can give.

Tony
  • bobonlinebobonline Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know how to bench test the EGR valve from my 2002 V6?
  • hennemanhenneman Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 ZR2 and the battery will go dead in a couple of days of no use. I have checked and there is a drain on the battery of 0.7 amps with everything shut off. I found if I pull the Dome lites/Radio fuse the drain drops to almost 0. I looked at a schematic and it shows there is also the powertrain control module on this curcuit. Does anyone know if the radio or powertrain control module can cause a current draw with the ignition switch off? If I leave the dome lite/ radio fuse out the battery stays charged. Any ideas are appreciated.
    Thanks
  • seak_quenceseak_quence Member Posts: 2
    Tony, my chevy tracker has this same feature. There is no easy way to turn this feature off, it's hard wired into the system. Not long ago I took my tracker to a mechanic because my parking lights wouldn't turn off when my car would turn off (as a result I would have to pull out the fuse from the fusebox that controlled the lights and radio from under the hood everytime I would park my car). The mechanic ended up taking out some switch or something from under the dash that would turn on my lights automatically (this automatic turn on apparently burned the switch and there was some weird connection going to the aftermarket security locking system that was put in which contributed to the problem)

LONG STORY SHORT: all you have to do is pull the fuse from under your hood that controls all the lights from your car (that fuse was also in charge of the radio, so I'm not sure if that would pose a problem for you or not) but my AC was working fine.
    Otherwise I would say take it to a mechanic if you would really want to have the automatic headlights feature.
  • pistonmacpistonmac Member Posts: 1
    coffee cat i see that you removed the serpentine belt on your 2004 tracker,how hard was that?,cant seem to figure it out..can u please help??or does anyone know how to remove the serpentine belt?? do i remove the 13mm bolts or use a breaker bar?
  • volkswagenbugvolkswagenbug Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 chevy tracker, 2.0 4 wheel drive. The 4 wheel drive has stopped working and the guy at the chevy garage said that it is the ECM that is causing it. I have found a used ECM, but one mechanic said that used ECM's dont work while another said that it would but it would have to be reprogramed by the Chevy dealership. Can anyone help me.
  • bill_colwellbill_colwell Member Posts: 7
    I have the same issue with my 2001 Chevy Tracker 2.0 liter. Check Engine Soon light on most of the time.

Can some give the actual part name for this "pig tail valve"? Tracking it down with this type of name does not make it easy.

Thanks, Bill Colwell
  • roxas331roxas331 Member Posts: 1
    Hi I have a 2001 Tracker 4 dr and 3 of my interior door handles broke =/ , does anybody know the part number or part i need to replace them i cant find them specifically for the car.
    Tecc10,

Yes, the 2001 Chevy Tracker does have a cabin filters on the passenger side of the vehicle. The filters are located behind the glove box (aka glove compartment). I'll do my best to explain the procedure for filter replacement. Even the illustrations that came on the instructions with the cabin filters were of little help.

Open the glove box to reveal the compartment. Empty the contents of the compartment to a convenient area. At this point, I consider this initial opening of the glove box to be the "normal" level of openness for the compartment.

To open the glove box to the next level, you need to slightly squeeze the compartment inward (on both sides at the same time) to release the glove box to the next level. At this next level the glove box has swung open to the floor.

Now, look at the area you just revealed from behind the glove box compartment, you will see a metal bar. Just behind that metal bar you will see a narrow plastic cover. This cover is like an upside down "L". It has two protruding "rectangular" type knobs that extent from the long leg side of the "L" cover.

Above the upper knob, (this would be the short leg of the "L" cover) you should be able to get your fingers into the space and pull up on that portion of the cover to release it.

The long side of the "L" cover should be a bit easier to release once the upper side has been released.

Once this "L" cover is removed it should reveal the cabin filters (there are two). The filters seem to be stacked one on top of the other. Replace the two filters with the tab on each filter facing you (the tab on each filter when stacked correctly will slide into the back of the "rectangular" type knobs of the "L" cover).

Replace the "L" cover and make sure it's locked into it's upper and lower positions.

Begin closing the glove box. Remember, you will have to squeeze both sides of the glove box compartment to push it back into the opening and it's "normal" open position.
  • nelssienelssie Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Tracker ZR2 4x4 auto 6 cyl with 47k miles. When I put the vehicle in gear, I hear what seems to come from the transmissions a noise just like a baseball card makes in a bicycle tire. No noticeable difference in driving, just that noise. Anyone know what that may be??
    Thanks
    Crosscutter,

What engine do you have? I thought all '03 inlines were 2.0L DOHCs. If so, the oil capacity at change with filter is 5.5 US quarts, and 4 liters is only 4.2 quarts. Of course that would be low by a good lick on that dipsick.

Each change with my 2.0L I put it 5 quarts of something-or-other with another can of an oil additive like STP for the other pint. Brings it right up.

The 2.5L V-6 I believe holds 5.8 quarts with filter, or 5.5 L. That, again, would leave you pretty low on the stick with only 4L.
  • arkainzeyearkainzeye Member Posts: 473
    i have had (2) chevy trackers 1999 2door soft top and a 2004 4 door ZR2 (v6) Both trackers had the air conditioners fail. if you look up past posts on this subject you will see tracker are not rare for this problem. well im NOT paying to get it fixed. one day it worked the next it didnt. fuses were all checked. followed all the recommendations of past posts. you can hear it running turning on and off. since this is NOT my first time having this failure i already know what it is. i recognize the signs from last time. I will not be getting a 3rd tracker. even when the ac worked it was never anything to brag about. other than that its been a good little suv. monday i get my Accord v6. btw resale was sad to say the least.
  • reedphireedphi Member Posts: 2
    Whilst built by Suzuki, I have little faith in this 2001 vehicle. My problems have stemmed about a bent standard transmission shift plate that cost me $1800 even though under warantee, a replaced rear axle and pinion gear due to faulty operation, a new A/C compressor due to faulty clutch ($1000 CAD), and now I am getting very loud gear whine again - think it's ready for another axle (perhaps front) and pinion gear (~$1600 CAD) . This is all within 128,000 KMS (76,000 MI). Need to keep it one more year to pay off debts but my next car is a COROLLA !
  • redsodapopredsodapop Member Posts: 1
    I also have a 2003 Chevy Tracker (2.0 L 4 Cylinder) and it takes 5 quarts of oil. I think the owner's manual lists that amount as well.
    Definitely check your owner's manual. My 2001 2.0 liter Tracker has a 5.5 quart oil capacity. Not sure if that .5 is for the oil filter.
    2000 4 dr 4wd, 2.0L, 124,166 miles, changed oil yesterday putting in 5 quarts Pennzoil dinosaur juice and ~8 oz Lucas Oil Stabilizer. Right to the top line on the dipstick.

That tiny little oil filter can may hold .5 L but I'm betting it's more like 2 oz!

This little 4-banger uses about a quart of oil in 3000 miles now, but used up half a quart every 3000 when new. Just the nature of the engine I guess.
  • jeffsarnoldjeffsarnold Member Posts: 3
    What is the easiest way to reinstall the pulley after removal. Also what is the easiest way to loosen the lower alternator bolt. Do I need to remove the passenger side front wheel?
  • ronda6ronda6 Member Posts: 2
    :confuse: I noticed a blog on this issue has been posted previously with no response. I am a new member and new owner of 2000 tracker. Already had a major oil leak from rear seal. My question is about the timing chain. How do you know if it has been replaced? (without doing a carfax that is not free as they advertise)The front of the motor has what looks like some type of black sealant. Is this a sign that it has been replaced? It is running fine, so far, but I am so worried about the damage the timing chain can cause. It has 176,000, high mileage, so I hope it has been replaced. If anyone has any suggestions to keep it running good please let me know ASAP. I am a teacher with only one income in my family and I don't have extra cash to fix major problems but must have transportation. Please, anyone with knowledge and experience with a tracker respond with any and all info that might help me keep it running. I have read all 125 post so any new info would be great.
    Thanks in advance!! :confuse:
  • ronda6ronda6 Member Posts: 2
    Could be the rear seal. Took my mechanic a week to figure out where the oil leak was coming from. It is on the back of the motor. I have a 2000 4wd.
    I don't know anything about cars but what I have experienced, but hope this info. helps. Ronda :)
    What year, what engine, which belt? The large "serpentine" belt that runs almost everything or the other lttle one they started with and built the rest of the car around?
    2004 V6 the pulley is on the front serpentine that run AC and PS. Thank you
  • hnrigardhnrigard Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 5-door tracker, 4x4 6 cyl. A few weeks ago, something sounded like it broke, and now everytime I hit a hard bump, or take too sharp of a turn there is a kind of bang coming from underneath the truck. I had two people look at it, the first one said that they couldn't find anything wrong with it, and the second said it was the suspension rod? I have been trying to look up this part, and I have found nothing called that. If someone could please help me, Please email me @ hnrigard0514@yahoo.com. Thanks! -HollyNicole
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Please don't ask for "personal" help via email. We all benefit when a problem is discussed on the open forum. Thanks.
  • chantl01chantl01 Member Posts: 1
    I had a similar problem with my 2000 tracker recently. It turned out that the sway bar link had detached from the socket on one side, which meant it wasn't holding tight and the link parts had become oval. It required replacement of the 2 front sway bar links, which luckily they were able to source as refurbs for me. Still $103 each (Cdn) but not as bad as it could have been. I was told this was quite a dangerous condition though, so you may want to have it checked out.
  • donramdonram Member Posts: 6
    It could possibly be one of the ball/socket links for the sway bar in the front suspension. I have experienced a similar symptom twice when the joint did not actually come apart at first but eventually did and had to be replaced. About 5 months later it happened on the opposite side as well.
  • donramdonram Member Posts: 6
    Was that $103/per side labour included?; because I bought the links for $30 CDN /each here in Ontario. I did the install myself; very straightfoward.
  • floody2floody2 Member Posts: 1
    To donram post #132,where in Ontario did you get these parts for $30.00.l paid $93.00 a piece for mine.Also where is a good place to get rear drums?thanks ,floody2.
  • ajetcollins08ajetcollins08 Member Posts: 2
    My husband and I have an 04 Tracker w/a 2.5L engine. We had a ticking noise start and were told that it was the timing chains...well about 2 days after our "timing chain" diagnosis, we threw a rod and just had to replace the motor :sick: . I would recommend having it looked at before replacing the chains. Good Luck
  • ajetcollins08ajetcollins08 Member Posts: 2
    My husband and I have a 2004 Tracker with the 2.5L engine. Like many others on here, we noticed a ticking noise coming from the motor and thought it to be the timing chains. However, about 2 days after we were told it was the chains, we threw a rod and ended up having to replace to whole motor. We just completed installation today. After getting everything put back together and all fluids into the motor, we tried to start it..it fired right up. Running better than ever, so we decided to take it for a test drive and we can't go anywhere. It will go into park and neutral but when it is put into any other gear(drive, reverse, ect..) it just sits there. Unless of course we are sitting on a hill. Does anyone have an idea as to what it might be? We thought it could be the torque converter isn't properly aligned but aren't sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • eparkseparks Member Posts: 1
    Where is the Cabin Filter Located on a 2004 Chevy Tracker
  • paiger2paiger2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 96 1.6 liter tracker when trying to time it i found 2 timing marks on the cam shaft gear. Can anybody tell me which is the proper mark to use at top dead center the "I" or the "E" . I believe the notch on the top if the valve cover is the reference mark for the gear which matches the arrow and notch on the crank. Am i correct?
  • bherriedbherried Member Posts: 2
    My 2002 Tracker doesn't give out much heat. I have noticed that when stopped at a red light the air temp will get cooler. When I resume driving it heats up quickly. What on earth could be causing this. I have checked the coolant and the reservoir is up to the full mark. The temp guage seems normal. I have also noticed that when I look into the actual radiator that I can see the aluminum fins not covered by anti freeze. When I top it off at the radiator level, it just returns it back to the reservoir. My only guess is that it may need a new thermostat. But why the cool air when stopped at a light? I have checked the cabin air filter behind the glove box to see if it might be plugged up, but I found it had been removed by the previous owner, and not replaced with a new one.
  • bherriedbherried Member Posts: 2
    I don't think anyone reads this board. Seems like a dead thread.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Try the Climate Control Problems (Air Conditioning, Heat) - All Cars discussion.

It's quiet over there too but lots of people subscribe to that discussion and watch it.
  • jclljcll Member Posts: 3
  • terry9643terry9643 Member Posts: 2
    Did you or anyone ever find a complete door assembly to make your doors and windows electric. I want to do the same thing!
  • terry9643terry9643 Member Posts: 2
    I'm having the same problem. First it was the gas cap and now the o2 sensor, do you know where this $18 pigtail valve on the exhaust system is or where I can buy one and change it myseft.
  • juliew518juliew518 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Chevy Tracker. The oil light comes on when I am going over 2 rpms, and usually after about 5-6 miles. (I have not been driving it because of this). It first starts flickering, then eventually goes on full time. The light does not come on when the car is in idle. There is plenty of oil in the car. I have had several oil changes, and a friend of mine who is a mechanic changed the oil last night and ran what he called a "detergent" through it to break up the sludge, and then added Rislone. He said I need to just drive it for about 200 miles and then he will flush it again and change the oil again. He says he is 99 percent certain that the problem is sludge. I had taken it to the dealership and they were quoted $2,000 just to start. They said the oil pressure was fine and the oil pump was fine. They said it could be something to do with the timng chain. Needless to say, I am nervous. Is it possible that the problem is sludge? My friend said when he change the oil is had lots of gunk in it and was black (even though the oil had just been change). Any constructive advice would be appreciated.