Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Suzuki Kizashi

Comments

• jaydee11jaydee11 Member Posts: 19
    Ok, it's the 7th of October 2012,and I am still smiling! I now have about 3400 miles on my Kizashi and I am still enjoying it! I thought I was the only one in the neighborhood with one,but I see someone else in the community has one,also a black one!:-( I get so many compliments on this car from my fellow soldiers! The last vehicle that I received so many compliments, was for my BMW convertible! I find myself taking those roundabouts,right turns and such much faster! The dealership threw in a set of splash guards and fog lights into the pot,so I'm happy! But I wonder how long do these Dunlops last? Does anyone know? Right now, I have nothing negative to report.Let's hope it stays this way! Stay tuned for further post!
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    I agree with you. I test drove one of the first Kizashi's in Nevada, a red 2010 Suzuki Kizashi 6-speed was on the showroom floor waiting for me after I test drove the automatic CVT-paddled titanium grey Kizashi. I went into negotiations and apparently wasn't dealing the way they wanted. We ended up leaving in our 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS. But I remain impressed with the Kizashi and wouldn't rule out a deal for one someday down the road. Great midsize (actually the car is a titch smaller than all the other midsize sedans on the road now) sedan.

Loved it!

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• skinnypopskinnypop Member Posts: 4
    Hi all! I've had my black 2011 Kizashi for 15 months now. I've put just over 22,000 miles on it. Tires are still in good condition and no paint chips, but I did get caught in a hail storm and have quite a few dings all around. The hail storm broke the back window of the car, but that was replaced by insurance. I'm getting 28.3mpg and averaging 32mph. The family moved from Raleigh, NC to Oklahoma City, OK back in February. So, a few trips back and forth across I-40 to get moved. The car worked great every time. I have had to top off the air in the tires about every 5 months and I change the oil every 5,000 miles.
    It is very windy in Oklahoma, and I find the car getting blown around on the road a lot. I love the car, but I may need something heavier than 1.5 - 2 tons next time. :0)
    I have not seen another Kizashi in OKC or the surrounding area, but I'm sure there are a few since we do have a dealership here. I get a lot of looks and compliments on the car, I've even been pulled over by a Kansas State Trooper and an Oklahoma State Trooper just to answer questions about it. No tickets given. :0)
    Anyway, I'm still happy with the car and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a small/midsized sedan with an aggressive look to it.
    day and wasn't sure what kind of car it was until I looked in the rear view mirror and realized it really was a Kizashi. And silver does this car some good, real good. I am still unofficially officially in the market for one of these beauties. It looks strong and stealthy on the road and I still remember how great it felt on the roads of south Vegas (actually Henderson, NV).

I would prefer a 6-speed but would settle for an automatic CVT Kizzy. Rock on to some tasty Foghat in your Kizashi's.

away, I'm finding I'm falling in love all over again with the Suzuki Kizashi. Especially in silver. What a babe!

I had a choice between 3 of them.....The pearl white one,one in silver with AWD,and the black pearl,which I chose. The silver one looks as though it glows! But it didn't have leather!So I test drove the white one for four days,........then bought the black one!haha Been happy ever since! This car is a blast to drive! hitting the interstate,most times I'm already doing well over 80mph....in the acceleration lane!!! it's always a surprise for the others!!
    That's what I like about it!! I looks so aggressive,that I took a picture of it,just the front,to grace my Facebook page! But I would have preferred a stick,but to be honest,I just slap it over to manual,and go for it! Now, you'll only go so far in each gear,but just up-shift baby!I had it up to 115mph during the test drive..with the salesman! And the twisty roads.......That's what sold it for me! Next thread....fuel economy!
    edited October 2012
    this Kizashi is a real sleeper, meaning no one seems to know about it. To know about this Suzuki Kizashi you have to be a car person, I'm serious. I am, so I was waiting for this one before it hit the lots. I still want one and hopefully one day I will. It was so easy to drive, the car barely jostled you when it went over bumps. It was a joy to drive.

Yeah, nothing wrong with black for color (yeah, I know, black isn't really a color...ha-ha) and white would be an awesome choice, too, but for me it would be either red or silver, and you're right, we have a '08 Rally Red Mitsubishi Lancer GTS with the automatic CVT and it's a ball to drive. You only think you need a manual tranny. Actually, I would get a new Kizashi with the automatic CVT like the Lancer's. I've come to love it.

2012 Suzuki Kizashi in...that silver

It looks to have the same tire size (18") as the Lancer does. Awesome. I want one!

• There are good deals on Kizashis, if you are near a dealer. Suzuki has few dealerships left. Re-sale sucks as well, so a like-new used one would be the way to go if you want one.

When the Kizashi was introduced, the engine was remarkably powerful for its class. Now, every competitor has a 4 cylinder with as much or more power. Suzuki has lagged not just on issuing other models and preserving dealerships, but existing models like the Kizashi are basically the same as when they were introduced. Equipment choice has fallen way behind the competition. I liked the Kizashi, especially its size, but it is outclassed by most everything in its price range now. It's too bad. I don't know what happened to Suzuki.
    edited October 2012
    I know Suzuki still has the engineering prowess because of cars like the Kizashi. But they were killed because of the public's preception of them. Which was dead wrong. I test drove a Kizashi and it is a great car. Not just a good car - a great car.

I haven't even checked lately ta see if I am near a Suzuki dealer. I'm in Coeur d' Alene, ID, about 30 miles east of Spokane. I know there isn't a Suzuki dealer in Coeur d' Alene but there may be one in Spokane. I'll check it out. I'd love ta have a Kizashi.

And you're right, one could be had for a fire sale price, now, too. Or could one?

This car was incredibly easy ta drive and held track on the road like a bead.

Yep! Those are 18'' wheels,20 spokes each! I know...cause I clean each and every one! And to me,they look better than the upgraded 18''ers! But as someone stated earlier, other companies have surpassed Suzuki,just think of the Bluetooth in the base model Kia Optima,but I was willing to forego it because of the aggressive looks. As promised, fuel economy.....I live on a military post,lots of 30 mph zones,15 mph etc.And I drive to PT,then home,work call,then home for lunch.Back to work at 1 pm,then home for the evening at 5 pm,and I live 2.5 miles from home! I average app.25 mpg,here on post! On the interstate,I get about 35.7 mpg at 70 mph! I love this car! Oh did I say that I love this car?
    edited October 2012
    well, we have something in common then, because I love this car, too. I don't think Suzuki is going to be leaving the American market. They don't subsist on U.S. sales, for only one reason. Come on!

• chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    From a past press release...
    "American Suzuki Motor Corporation (ASMC) today reported August 2012 sales
    of 1,968 units. SX4 continues to lead sales with a 2% year to date sales increase ...

This is all their car lines for the month of August. Seriously, they are hanging on by a thread. U.S. sales cannot be profitable for them or their dealers. For comparison, Toyota sells this many Camrys in about a day or 2.
    that, like Mitsubishi, they don't in any way depend on American sales at all. They both have huge Japanese parent companies that just take them and have them play puppet games in America for our benefit completely. I know, that last part was kind of goofy, but, the point is, if you like a Suzuki Kizashi or a Mitsubishi Lancer, buy one for goodness sake.

Any competent American certified mechanic will be able to work on it for you and you will get a really good car from each Japanese automaker, too!

Yeah,but they don't have to! That's the beauty! I , for one,don't like driving cars that everyone and their mothers have,It's just me! For me it about exclusivtivity. If I can have a great vehichle,with a decent price,and a few of the bells and whistles,then I'm good. I'd forgotten all about Mitsubishi!!
  • The only problem being that one of the reasons that Suzuki and Mitsubishi are losing dealerships and sales is that while their cars are decent, the competition is mostly better and definitely updated more often. Buy a Suzuki if you can get a really good deal. However, when the Kizashi is compared with what is now the best field of mid-size cars ever available here in the US, it is no longer ranked anywhere but near the bottom of the pile. It is the oldest design among them all (Sonata, Camry, Fusion, Legacy, Optima, Malibu, Passat, Altima, Accord) and with no firm update in sight. It is arguably a better choice than the Chrysler 200 (which will also be renewed to a much better car in about a year), and the Mitsubishi Galant (if that is still being sold), and is probably a better choice than the VW Jetta against which it matches up well.

Suzuki made a big mistake by closing and consolidating dealerships in an attempt to sell more cars per dealer. All they did was kill more sales. Then they got into a pissing match with VW after VW came along to prop them up.

There is something going on with the leadership of that corporation that has demonstrated no understanding of how to market cars in the US. There motorcycle sales have been nothing to crow about for several years now as well (they didn't even import any 2010 models in order to clear out old inventory). Europe is beginning to dry up for them as well. A third of its profit comes from home country Japan's sales, where interest in cars among young people is on the decline. Maruti Suzuki in India is a bright spot, and nearly half Suzuki's sales occur in India. However, labor unrest there has cut into sales and profits.

I don't know what the answer is, but they need more than what they are fielding. Saturns were decent cars too at the end.
    i guess all we can do is enjoy the ride while it lasts! But you're right. They do need to re-think their leadership! Being super good in India won't help them here in the states! They need to be more like Nissan.....They have models for example in Europe, (I lived for 19 years in Germany) they cater to the styles, wants and needs of the population. For example, I've owned a Nissan Almera,3 Nissan Micra's and 2 Nissan Primera's. Primera= Infinit G 20. The Maxima didn't do well there,because Germans tend to stick to what they know,Beemers and Benzes! They also don't have Altimas. Maxima and Altimas cater to American tastes,while Micras and Almeras,which are hatchbacks,cater to Europeans. So Suzuki has got to learn how to straddle the fence,and know when to jump down and play in others'yards.
    An ex-dealer for Suzuki was quoted as saying the President and upper management of Suzuki live in their own little world and are very difficult to do business with and will not take any suggestions from their dealers.

A little "sour grapes"? Perhaps, but some of it rings true if you look at where they are at today.
    Wow! But they can get together and put put out a car that's pretty damn good,give it a bold name then sit back and leave things to their own devices....That's crazy, but like you said, look where they are today!
    edited October 2012
    both automakers are putting out good, competitive product. I would buy my car (a 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS) before I would buy a Honda Civic, Ford Focus or Dodge Dart. Easily. That's just for starters. Nobody else in here has test-drove or investigated the compact category car from Mitsubishi besides me, that being of course the Lancer.

As for mid-sized rigs, the smallest mid-sized rig offered is the Suzuki Kizashi. I have read everything I could get my hands on about the car and test drove one and I can tell you that you would not even be close to getting ripped off buying a 2013 Suzuki Kizashi. Solid, great ride, great handling, stellar looks and fair price.

What more could you ask for? Warranty? How does 10 years and 100,000 miles sound to you guys?

The Kizashi is a good value if you plan on keeping it until if falls apart. Otherwise, resale value (except at a Suzuki dealer to buy another) is almost non existent.
  • So, have you driven the 2013 Honda Civic, Ford Focus or Dodge Dart? And stellar looks are in the eye of the beholder. The Kizashi's looks are more bland than say the Dart's. And that is just one example. You love the Kizashi...buy one! They are relatively cheap, compared to the competition. And you can keep it a long time, as that 10 year warranty implies. For most of us, the lack of dealerships and lack of updates is a big problem.
  • unclerollyunclerolly Member Posts: 3
    Hey guys, been following this post awhile and wanted to weigh in. I too love the Kizashi, sephia, just pull the trigger. I had a 04 BMW 330XI that was just killing me with maintenance and repair and I kept going back and forth on trading it in towards a Kizashi. I've tried many compact/midsize sedans including the new focus, dart, the legacy and impreza, the optima and I'm a former accord owner. I think it comes down to what the foremost expert on wine, Robert Parker says, "Drink what you like."

I used to sell cars years ago and its amazing how many people buy what vehicles other people like or what the automotive press likes. Consumer and press feedback has its place but you're the one driving the rig and putting the money into it. If you love it, what else matters? Someone will always come out with the latest, greatest, fastest, best rated etc. down the road.

Almost all modern vehicles will get you well over 100k without much issue. All are far safer than vehicles of just ten years ago. All will have far more technology as well. For me the Kizashi just spoke to me. I took it for a short test drive, loved it, almost pulled the trigger but walked. Later I tried more cars and was convinced I wouldn't make a move after driving a Legacy that on paper looks as identical a car as possible and I just didn't care for it.

I drove the Kizashi again and remembered why I liked it so much. Handsome looks, well appointed cabin, sporty handling and steering that make it fun to drive, helpful tech like blue tooth integration without being overwhelming (the focus was like driving a flight simulator and my wife drives an 05 that we love). AWD which for a Mainer who drives 20k miles a year is great along with all the additional corrosion prevention on the vehicle. I can't come up with a better package, for me.

This is my long winded way of saying stop doubting yourself. Drive what you like. I'm the proud owner of a new 2012 Kizashi Sport SLS in Azure Gray Metallic. Others might prefer the Optima, Sonata, Legacy, Fusion et all but you're not buying a car for them, it's for you.
    edited October 2012
    This is my long winded way of saying stop doubting yourself. Drive what you like. I'm the proud owner of a new 2012 Kizashi Sport SLS in Azure Gray Metallic. Others might prefer the Optima, Sonata, Legacy, Fusion et all but you're not buying a car for them, it's for you.

Bingo! You hit the nail on the head. I am a car guy and I find out about new releases way before they hit the sales lots. That's why I was only happy ta drive the 208 miles NW of Willcox, AZ, to buy our 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS. The fact that I own a 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS in Rally Red is probably the only reason I don't own a 2010 Suzuki Kizashi. In silver.

I may one day buy a silver Kizashi but won't until we get more thousands and thousands of miles out of our '08 Lancer GTS. The Lancer GTS has about 95,700 miles on it and is running like an absolute champ, and I plan on keeping it running that way, so I won't be pulling the trigger anytime soon on a Kizashi.

As to Suzuki leaving, who knows? They might. But Mitsubishi won't leave the U.S. market. Mark my words. You read it here first, Mitsubishi won't be leaving the U.S. marketplace.

Ever. Oops. Don't ever say ever. Never. I don't even think Suzuki's gonna be leaving the U.S. market either. You see, Suzuki is just pulling your chain by even doing poorly here. As I was told by an Avondale, AZ, Suzuki salesman, Suzuki doesn't need ta be here. Their parent company, like Mitsubishi's parent company, funds their automotive "branch", if you will. Get it?

They're not hanging on U.S. profits like some junked-up U.S. daytrader. :shades:

I couldn't have said it better myself! We tend to want to please our friends! I remember someone saying about my BMW convertible,that the back seat was a tight fit! Like I would care,with my wife and I! Like you,the car just spoke to me!!
    They will continue to sell cars here until Suzuki Corporate is tired of pouring money in to American Suzuki Motors.

It's a risk to buy any auto manufactured by this company. You could have an "orphan" at any time.
    This is true and it's risk one takes but I think it's overblown. Suzuki has been selling cars in the US for a long time and they have large market share in other countries. The Kizashi is a world vehicle and therefore parts would still be manufactured and available even if they pulled out of the US market. I can't say it wasn't a thought when I was considering buying this car but you know there's no guarantee I don't step off the curb today and get hit by a bus. Sometimes you have to overcome your fear of the worst case scenario or you'd never get out of bed in the morning :)
    So true!! I mean, look at Saab! I used to love Saab,would buy one in a minute,almost did while in Germany! And they'd been around for years too! And although they fought,in the end it wasn't enough! I didn't see this as taking a chance when I bought my Kizashi. I saw a great car,and I wanted it. Life''s a gamble,sometimes you just gotta play! And ,since I still have ties to Germany,where they also sell the Kizashi, I could still get parts. But let's cross that bridge when we get to it,ok?
    you didn't take a gamble at all! Anyone buying a Suzuki will be just fine. I don't know what the big feeling of trepidation is for. Any competent mechanic will be able to work on your Suzuki and a good parts place like NAPA will be able to run your parts down in one of their cool 2006 Scion xA's. In white. In 5-speeds. With fog lights.

Ha ha ha! Good deal! No , i am not afraid! Suzuki has never had a dealership on every corner,but then neither has Saab,VW,BMW, Mitsubishi and a few others! So I'll have to take a drive to find one..big deal! I love to drive! And speaking of such, it's a nice dry day here in Kansas....... Think I'll swerve on down to Wal-mart,and yes.......I will be taking the long way.....At least 5 miles til I am off post,then a fast sprint down the interstate for about 4 miles,where I'll downshift like i'm in the Formula 1,and I just might let the tires scream a little!!! Kizashiiiiiiiiii!!!
  • arkainzeyearkainzeye Member Posts: 473
    i have owned (2) suzuki's and had pretty good luck with them (except both had a/c failure) so i talked a friend into a suzuki, i said they were great cars and worth a look! i feel horrible now as he is in the middle of a lemon law wait with suzuki.. 2012 kiz gts trany failure.. but it wasnt the trany failure that caused the lemon law, it was the lack of support for the warranty... what i mean is, when he said there is a bad noise coming from the transmission when i drive it for more than 2 hours non stop they said "thats normal for a cvt". they it got worse and the shop called a regional rep in.. the car sat there for over 10 days until the rep came to the dealership. The rep denied replacement of the transmission as it wasnt broken, even though he heard the noise himself. so my friend drove the car 100 miles then the transmission "broke" but this time when it broke it causes more damage (something with one of the front axles) so now they replaced the transmission (had to it was dead) and transfer case and front axle.. but the time it took for ALL the repairs exceeded 30 days,. and in PA you have 12000 miles or 30 days of your car being in a shop to file a lemon law so he did...

The bottom line was suzuki didnt want to replace the transmission even though they heard the noise and now , not only did they have to replace that and more, but now they have to pay his lawyer and give him all his money back.. and the really sad thing is.... ever since he got all those parts replaced, his car jumped up 5 mpg more! even better than when it was brand new with less than 1000 miles on it.. and NOW he loves the car, but the lemon law is already in motion.... on a personal note.. i talked to a suzuki dealership and i was told suzuki is really trying to cut down on their costs by not approving everything warranty for a item that is not offically "broken/failed"
    I don't suppose you know how it sounds,do you? i have the normal one,front wheel drive,so I won't have to worry about the transfer case! but,it's still scary!
    This is what you deal with when you have a financial weak struggling division who sells so few units they could care less.
    edited November 2012
    Some people on this board have been in denial......this was obviously coming.

What little resale value they had....just became non-existent.
  • rktbrkrrktbrkr Member Posts: 15
    Just wondering what kind of BS their sleazy dealer network will resort to to con consumers about this
    Is the Grand Vitara a Nissan? I know the pickups are made by Nissan, they could be a bargain.

The Suzuki main web site doesn't even mention they are in BK and going out of business - talk about sleazy
    I just got off the phone with my dealership and they didn't have any more info than the rest of us. They did say that with their used business they will have no reason to end their service department. They sell both Suzuki Auto and Motorcycle so one would imagine the motorcycle side will remain and therefore may do a better job of taking care of parts, service, warranty then others (crossing fingers). Resale was never a hallmark but now it's shot, good thing I buy cars and drive them into the ground.

Part of me wishes I had waited three weeks and I could have gotten the same car for a steal but my sensible side knows I never would have pulled the trigger knowing this. I love the car and if I had reliability concerns I wouldn't have purchased it. This is certainly not the news you want but i'm hopeful it will cause minimal impact.
    edited November 2012
    I bought a Subaru Legacy about a month ago. I cross shopped the Kazashi as well. My wife and I test drove the Kazashi and really liked it. I sent out a couple of emails to dealers acquiring about price.

We also test drove a Legacy. We seriously considered the Kazashi however I told my wife things were not looking good for Suzuki in the U.S. Since we are now retired we will be keeping this car for many years. I sent emails back to the two Suzuki dealers and told them we would be buying the Legacy because I felt Suzuki's long term USA prospects were bleak. They both responding saying my concerns were unfounded. We bought the Legacy and the rest is history.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2012
    I had seriously considered the 2010 Kizashi, and am so glad I did not get more serious about it. At the time, it had good features for the price, and I like that size of car better than say the larger Legacy.

But Suzuki dumped it here and did almost nothing to update it or expand its powertrain, even as compacts and subcompacts not to mention mid-sizers were adding cross-traffic indicators, blind spot monitors, adaptive cruise control, more power, better mileage...I could go on.

I have no idea what Suzuki's inept executives were thinking, but it was probably as off-base as the plans Ford had for Lincoln, from 2001 to 2011. Actually, to be honest, Suzuki's management was leagues worse, geometrically worse than what Lincoln management did or didn't do for awhile.

And I doubt that effective management could have saved Suzuki, due to its sparse and mostly dismal lineup. There wasn't a single model that was ranked anywhere near the top of its class, and for most classes of vehicles, Suzukis were completely missing in action. The dumb-[non-permissible content removed] management sent in since 2008 (and frequently changed) just made everything so much worse. There's a book here on how not to do things.
    Yep, so true.

This train crash was even worse than the Cerebrus/Chrysler debacle.
    Mitsubishi only sells double of what Suzuki sold. And Mitsu has two models scheduled to be dropped and no new replacements scheduled.

They have sold only 50,000 units, again about double the 24,000 units Suzuki sold. Not enough to be profitable.

I say gone within 24 months.....
  • This is a good read for anyone unfamiliar with how badly this company is run:
    http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/11/suzuki-death-watch-8-a-eulogy-due-to-in- competence/#more-466103
    edited November 2012
    Interesting article.

Having been in an industry that relied heavily in foreign equipment, it is these same cultures who sit in a skyscraper 10,000 miles away that have an attitude of "their way or the highway".

You know what they say about payback.....it's a b**** sometimes!

Do you notice how quiet it's been from iluvmysephia1? First he says go ahead and buy a Suzuki, everything will be fine, then in another post tells us that Mitsubishi is apparently running their North America Operations for the fun of it, since they too will never leave the market.

Yea, right!
    Read an article where an auto guru said the passing of Suzuki would only boost depreciation a few % I found that hard to believe so I looked at big Suzuki dealer in midwest that is discounting new models $5K and $6K. With base prices starting in the low teens thats about 30% for starters, that looks like a lot more than a few % dip, new cars selling for less than used - not for long!

Suzuki is continuing in Canada, I guess US models will migrate north
    Those so called Gurus never want to get on a manufacturer's bad side. He is hedging his bets in case Suzuki ever comes back around.

You are right, if they are discounting Suzukis new 5k to 6k, what is a USED ONE WORTH?
    Suzuki is very competitive in small cars, they are the 3cyl champ of the universe but they wanted to be like everybody else and produced a series of uninspiring cars, with a horrible dealer network. Numerous states are legalizing golf carts and other goofy vehicles for local roads, Suzi should have jumped on that with their myriad of small vehicles.

They have a good rep with their other products and produce reliable engines and drivetrains but didn't parlay that into market favs. Kizashi is a nice car with a horrible name, the SX4 is co-developed with Chrysler, if Suzukis were rebadged and sold thru the Chrysler network they'd steal sales from Chrysler and Fiat models. Somebody with a decent network should be able to sell renamed Kizashis in decent numbers.

Once burned, twice shy.
    I'm not being quiet, I just don't feel like coming back on here and telling you that the Suzuki Kizashi is still the best midsizer out there.

And as far as Mitsubishi leaving the U.S. market, read my lips...no new taxes...umm...I mean Mitsubishi won't be leaving the U.S. market. This year. Or next year.

Or the year after that. Or that. Truth be this.

Your right about Mitsu not leaving the market. They are making product for export in Normal, IL. They will in all likelihood not close that plant.

They will probably continue to have a sub-standard dealer network and just let their dealers fall where they may. It would look bad to have a domestic manufacturing plant with no dealer network, as pitiful as it may be.

Their goal of selling 100K in units is a pipe dream.
    Suzuki models are outdated and relatively poor on MPG per article on orphan bargains - and good luck on getting warrantee work done

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1080335_should-i-buy-a-new-suzuki-now-that-i- ts-leaving-the-u-s