Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Suzuki Kizashi

1235»

Comments

• chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    I totally agree on the warranty aspect. Suzuki has no reason to perform warranty work since they will in all likelihood not return to the U.S. market anytime soon. They could care less about having "satisfied owners".

People will say-"well get a Lawyer to make them perform". But at that point you better off paying for the work yourself because it will cost you just as much to hire a Lawyer, not to mention the time it takes to crawl through the court system.
  • myllertimemyllertime Member Posts: 4
    edited December 2012
    I commute to work 40 miles each way going about 70mph. So about 90% freeway. I avg about 29mpg. I measured a 350 mile trip (only freeway) got about 32mpg. But yes, when I drive city only i get 20-22mpg. I have a 2012 SLS AWD. Also, I just got warranty work done on my car. I wanted the updated GPS so i said mine would freeze and they replaced it right away. no questions asked. I'm in Utah.
  • rktbrkrrktbrkr Member Posts: 15
    I was surprised to see a lot of late model Suzukis in FL, some AWD, mostly SX10, I thought there might be a couple of healthy dealers in So FL then it dawned on me that these were cars off rental lots (Hertz, Avis) - the pizza delivery guy wasn't worried about getting stuck in snow, he just got the cheapest low mileage wheels available! Suzuki beat out Hyundai and Kia in the race to the bottom!
  • jaydee11jaydee11 Member Posts: 19
    Wow! I must be lucky or something! In the city, i average about 25,26 mpg, and on the interstate at 70 mph, I get up to 36 mpg!! I am totally satisfied!! But...I have a front wheel drive version! When I bought mine,my choices were AWD,but without leather,or the leather edition without AWD......I took 2 days to decide,but I don't regret it.....well if my wallet had a thicker skin,I'd have like to have my cake and eat it too!
  • rcopa1rcopa1 Member Posts: 24
    I have a 2011 Kizashi SE which i really love. I have had it for almost two years. About a year ago the rims started to peel. It was very strange. As time passed all four rims peeled, some more serious than others. I took it to the dealer a few weeks ago and was surprised that Suzuki agreed to have the rims refinished under warranty. They even gave me a rental car for several days. Just telling this story because they are standing behind the car and its warranty. It's a great car, just wish i had bought the SLS model.
    Hey,thanks for the post! It's good to know that Suzuki is honoring the warranty! Do you have the 18'' alloys with the 20 spokes? I have had mine since July 2012 (it's a '12) and so far,so good! Although I do have a little spot on the hood that is showing bare metal...I just went over 7,000 miles :-(
    I have the 18 inch wheels which came standard on the SE in 2011 and 2012. The 18 inch alloys that come on the GTS and SLS i dont believe will have the same issue. The silver was peeling off really bad, exposing black metal. I've seen others online with the same issue. I was given an Elantra as a loaner and could not believe how aweful it drove. Really missed my Kizashi those few days. I am hoping to get a good deal on a SLS there seem be good deals out there.
    Yeah,then they're the same ones I have! A [non-permissible content removed] to clean,but they look awesome! And I can only imagine that the Elantra drove like crap!lol I don't let anyone else drive my Kizashi,but those who ride with me,are mighty impressed! But I wished it had a standard tranny in it!
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    Funny we always want what we don't have. I've learned one lesson through life, when it comes to a vehicle, buy what you really want even if you must spend some extra green, you'll never regret it as every time you drive your vehicle, you'll have that big grin on your face! Knowing you should've just gone for it will make an unhappy person as the miles add up so just get what ya want at the start and drive happy! My next vehicle will probably be my last so I'm saving up now for that day, driving my little econocar so one day in the future I can get my luxomobile that I really really want...life is just to damn short to deny oneself a little pleasure while we're here and i want a nice vehicle to drive!

The Passionate Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

You know,you 're right! I took that plunge when I bought mine! I was only there for an oil change for my HHR! Took a test drive,got hooked! And it was my first new car since 1987! I bought a Nissan Sentra! Wanna hear the options? It had a radio antenna.......in the trunk!! And a heater! was a young soldier and I bought while stationed in Germany! $7,995! I eventually added a set of fog lamps and a radio to go with the antenna! ANd I found a set of hubcaps,instead of the little plastic hub cover it originally came with!
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    you are right on with buying what you like, even if you have to spend a lot. I spent a titch over $24,000 for my 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS but still love looking at and driving my car! I can't get enough of it. That's the way it's supposed to be and I couldn't agree with you more. And now the car is paid off - an added bonus!

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

Absolutely...buy what you like that is affordable. And if one goes a bit over budget, just think about how much the cost is per day to relax and enjoy the ride. I do plan on purchasing eventually but right now since the Civic had some work done, it's driving like brand new so I see no point in getting something new. I'm happy with it and will go for that 10 year ownership if all goes according to plan. If my boy wants it though, he can take/purchase it from me and I'll get my Tuscon or Rogue that much earlier but that isn't happening quite yet. I did see a new Elantra GT on the highway yesterday and thought it was an impressive looking vehicle, a bit low to the ground but they did a great job style wise. And another vehicle i like, truth be told, is the Mitsubishi Outlander Sport ute...seriously! I hear the audio isn't the best but I like the smallish size of it and hey, one can always go aftermarket with a new head unit and amp to get the perfect sound. But with Mitsu possibly leaving the U S market, probably not the best choice in vehicles though there is a dealership right outside our development next to the Hyundai store...a nice perk! When I bring in the Accent for any warranty work, it is so close, a good thing.

I have the new car itch but with my job moving rentals around Florida, I scratch it daily and am driving some amazing vehicles like the 2012 Infiniti G37 I had the other day...outstanding vehicle! And the best part is I don't pay for the gas or tolls and usually ahve my choice of vehicles, which ever one I get over to though there is some competition among my fellow co-workers for certain rigs. We all have our likes/dislikes but usually get what we want...a few times I've traded with another person when I know I have one of their favorites but so far, no one has returned the favor...maybe it is time for me to stop being so nice to the others...?

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

I know what you mean! How does one get a job like that!? Does it pay well? I'll be leaving the military in a few months,and I could use a good job! But back to the topic at hand...I have tried to hold on to a car for 10 years so many times,that I don't think I am capable of it! The longest I have had one was 6 years,the shortest,1 year and 4 months,both of them Infinit G20s! The latter was an automatic,which I hated and it smelled like cigar smoke.I should not have bought it,but it had low miles! And I've run the gamut from convertible,hatchbacks,wagons,sedans you name it! But the Kizashi is fun! Even if they have disappeared from the American market!!
    Craigslist is where I found the job...hard to believe but that's where it was. The timing was perfect but G-d planned it that way just like he did way back when I got my postal job/career...he just presents the opportunity and it is up to us to act on it. But yes, this gig is perfect for a retired guy like myself as a lot of my co-workers are retired folks who want and need the extra income and also want to get out of the house. And driving newer vehicles on their dime is the icing on the cake...the drama I don't like and having my ipod on while going home in the chase vehicle solves that issue nicely. A totally win/win situation for me at this stage of my life where I can still get around though I use a cane to walk. And being flexible is the key as we hardly know when we're going to work...very seldom are we told the day before when we have runs to make. We usually get texted a couple of hours before letting us know where and when we are going but I am very flexible and have so much time on my side now.

A great opportunity that I took and ran with...am a very happy camper here!

The Happy Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

I've had my 2011 Kizashi SE for over 2 years now and i only have one regret, that i did not buy the SLS model with all the bells and whistles. I love this car and while i usually trade my cars in after three years i will probably keep this one longer.

My alloy rims started to peel. I have seen this happen with other kiszashi's. The dealer recently had them stripped and repainted. They came out great and the dealer did not hesitate to do this work under warranty. The only thing they did ask me was if i was the original owner, not sure why this would matter, they should still cover for someone who bought the car used.

I had always wanted the fogs lights. I purchased a complete OEM kit on ebay for $199 including shipping. I was going to have a professional install be when the kit arrived the instructions made it seem like something i could install and every part needed was included. It said it would take about 30 minutes. I am not handy type guy so i was unsure but i gave it a shot. It was actually pretty easy to do but did take me about 2 hours. While this sounds a little scary, the front bumper has to come completely off the car. Surprisingly this was very easy to do. Be sure to lay out a very large oversize drop cloth so you don"t scratch the fender once it comes off the car.
  • You are brave. Of course it is on a car that you intend to keep, and even though it is well engineered, it is an orphan, and will not be worth much more or less if you scratch it.

Suzuki really, really screwed up in the US of A. Fortunately, they have retained significant markets elsewhere. Maybe one day they will return...after the current CEO is gone.
    Brave? Let’s see, I bought a new, nicely equipped car that I really like at a huge discount, it's got a bit of exclusivity to it, people still complement me on it and ask what kind of car it is, it handles and rides like a European car but has Japanese quality, all this and I only paid $18,750? I'd say I was smart. It's funny the people on here who criticize buying an "orphaned" car, a Kizashi, have never even driven one. Suzuki has left the US market in an honorable way by keeping their warranties in effect. My experience is proof of that. Yes, I could have bought what everyone else buys when they want to make a safe and sensible purchase, a Civic or a Corolla, but I would have hated my ride for years to come.
    Hear hear,I love my Suzuki Kizashi! The ride is great,the handling is superb and no one I know personally has one! But at least 4 of my friends drive Nissans! Everyone from the insurance agent to the folks at Best buy,where I purchased a new head unit with Navigation, DVD and Bluetooth,didn't know what a Kizashi was!! My wheels are starting to develop weird spots,that will not come off.I have even tried NEV'R DULL and it is still spotting. But otherwise,I am still happy with my ride! And the dealer threw in the fog lights for free,plus a set of splash guards! And those who DO actually get inside are really impressed! And why not? It's a great car! So,do we own orphans? Maybe... But even orphans need love!
    There is nothing wrong with owning a discontinued car, as long as you drive it until the wheels fall off. The resale value is non-existent on Suzukis in general.
  • Civics and Corollas are definitely not in the same class as the Kizashi.

It is too bad that Suzuki screwed up so badly here. I drove a Kizashi and briefly considered buying it, because it is a good car.

Leadership was lacking, and hubris evident. Suzuki never figured out why its sales were tanking here year after year. There were answers to that. However, Suzuki leadership was not interested. They paid the price.
    Agreed! And Suzuki made some major mistakes in their distribution (dealer) networks as well.
  • janladeanjanladean Member Posts: 1
    I have paint flaking just behind the front tires on my 2012 Kizashi along with all four rims. Took it in to the dealership where I purchased it and they are not going to fix any of it because they said I drive on gravel roads. There is no paint chipping where the paint is flaking. So, should there be a clause in the warranty that you can't drive on gravel roads? The salesman who sold us the car knew we lived on gravel roads. So I guess he should have told us this would void the warranty. I have 30,000 miles on the car and my warranty is up at 36,000.

BTW, the service tech told me that there was a post about paint peeling on the hood of the car but nowhere else, so the person that has that problem needs to contact their dealership. Wow! You must have an honest dealership that stands behind Suzuki. Mine is in Junction City, KS, Jim Clark Suzuki.
    Suzuki nor the dealer have any motivation to fix this. Suzuki Auto is not coming back to America for the foreseeable future. And the dealer doesn't care about making you happy so you will come back and buy another car.

Suzuki left and the owners have lost.
  • boosuzukiboosuzuki Member Posts: 3
    They tried to pull that BS with me too on my 2010. Mine eventually had paint chipping in areas that in no way could've been normal wear and tear. They reprinted the really chipped parts once and it chipped again. They then agreed to repaint my whole car and that seems to have done the trick. I now have a lifetime warranty on the paint from the bodyshop that did it. I LOVE everything about my car except for this issue and how hard I had to fight to have it corrected. My local dealership denied my claim too and I had to fight with Suzuki directly. Suzuki has know about this issue since 2010 and if I can do anything to help, let me know! I do agree with the other person that posted though, they may not do anything about it now that they're not selling cars in the US anymore...good luck!