Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suzuki Kizashi

Comments

• arkainzeyearkainzeye pittsburgh paPosts: 473
    i have owned (2) suzuki's and had pretty good luck with them (except both had a/c failure) so i talked a friend into a suzuki, i said they were great cars and worth a look! i feel horrible now as he is in the middle of a lemon law wait with suzuki.. 2012 kiz gts trany failure.. but it wasnt the trany failure that caused the lemon law, it was the lack of support for the warranty... what i mean is, when he said there is a bad noise coming from the transmission when i drive it for more than 2 hours non stop they said "thats normal for a cvt". they it got worse and the shop called a regional rep in.. the car sat there for over 10 days until the rep came to the dealership. The rep denied replacement of the transmission as it wasnt broken, even though he heard the noise himself. so my friend drove the car 100 miles then the transmission "broke" but this time when it broke it causes more damage (something with one of the front axles) so now they replaced the transmission (had to it was dead) and transfer case and front axle.. but the time it took for ALL the repairs exceeded 30 days,. and in PA you have 12000 miles or 30 days of your car being in a shop to file a lemon law so he did...

The bottom line was suzuki didnt want to replace the transmission even though they heard the noise and now , not only did they have to replace that and more, but now they have to pay his lawyer and give him all his money back.. and the really sad thing is.... ever since he got all those parts replaced, his car jumped up 5 mpg more! even better than when it was brand new with less than 1000 miles on it.. and NOW he loves the car, but the lemon law is already in motion.... on a personal note.. i talked to a suzuki dealership and i was told suzuki is really trying to cut down on their costs by not approving everything warranty for a item that is not offically "broken/failed"
  • I don't suppose you know how it sounds,do you? i have the normal one,front wheel drive,so I won't have to worry about the transfer case! but,it's still scary!
  • chuck1chuck1 Posts: 1,405
    This is what you deal with when you have a financial weak struggling division who sells so few units they could care less.
    edited November 2012
    Some people on this board have been in denial......this was obviously coming.

What little resale value they had....just became non-existent.
  • Just wondering what kind of BS their sleazy dealer network will resort to to con consumers about this
  • Is the Grand Vitara a Nissan? I know the pickups are made by Nissan, they could be a bargain.

The Suzuki main web site doesn't even mention they are in BK and going out of business - talk about sleazy
  • I just got off the phone with my dealership and they didn't have any more info than the rest of us. They did say that with their used business they will have no reason to end their service department. They sell both Suzuki Auto and Motorcycle so one would imagine the motorcycle side will remain and therefore may do a better job of taking care of parts, service, warranty then others (crossing fingers). Resale was never a hallmark but now it's shot, good thing I buy cars and drive them into the ground.

Part of me wishes I had waited three weeks and I could have gotten the same car for a steal but my sensible side knows I never would have pulled the trigger knowing this. I love the car and if I had reliability concerns I wouldn't have purchased it. This is certainly not the news you want but i'm hopeful it will cause minimal impact.
    edited November 2012
    I bought a Subaru Legacy about a month ago. I cross shopped the Kazashi as well. My wife and I test drove the Kazashi and really liked it. I sent out a couple of emails to dealers acquiring about price.

We also test drove a Legacy. We seriously considered the Kazashi however I told my wife things were not looking good for Suzuki in the U.S. Since we are now retired we will be keeping this car for many years. I sent emails back to the two Suzuki dealers and told them we would be buying the Legacy because I felt Suzuki's long term USA prospects were bleak. They both responding saying my concerns were unfounded. We bought the Legacy and the rest is history.
  • gregg_vwgregg_vw Posts: 2,422
    edited November 2012
    I had seriously considered the 2010 Kizashi, and am so glad I did not get more serious about it. At the time, it had good features for the price, and I like that size of car better than say the larger Legacy.

But Suzuki dumped it here and did almost nothing to update it or expand its powertrain, even as compacts and subcompacts not to mention mid-sizers were adding cross-traffic indicators, blind spot monitors, adaptive cruise control, more power, better mileage...I could go on.

I have no idea what Suzuki's inept executives were thinking, but it was probably as off-base as the plans Ford had for Lincoln, from 2001 to 2011. Actually, to be honest, Suzuki's management was leagues worse, geometrically worse than what Lincoln management did or didn't do for awhile.

And I doubt that effective management could have saved Suzuki, due to its sparse and mostly dismal lineup. There wasn't a single model that was ranked anywhere near the top of its class, and for most classes of vehicles, Suzukis were completely missing in action. The dumb-[non-permissible content removed] management sent in since 2008 (and frequently changed) just made everything so much worse. There's a book here on how not to do things.
    Yep, so true.

This train crash was even worse than the Cerebrus/Chrysler debacle.
    Mitsubishi only sells double of what Suzuki sold. And Mitsu has two models scheduled to be dropped and no new replacements scheduled.

They have sold only 50,000 units, again about double the 24,000 units Suzuki sold. Not enough to be profitable.

I say gone within 24 months.....
    edited November 2012
    Interesting article.

Having been in an industry that relied heavily in foreign equipment, it is these same cultures who sit in a skyscraper 10,000 miles away that have an attitude of "their way or the highway".

You know what they say about payback.....it's a b**** sometimes!

Do you notice how quiet it's been from iluvmysephia1? First he says go ahead and buy a Suzuki, everything will be fine, then in another post tells us that Mitsubishi is apparently running their North America Operations for the fun of it, since they too will never leave the market.

Yea, right!
  • Read an article where an auto guru said the passing of Suzuki would only boost depreciation a few % I found that hard to believe so I looked at big Suzuki dealer in midwest that is discounting new models $5K and $6K. With base prices starting in the low teens thats about 30% for starters, that looks like a lot more than a few % dip, new cars selling for less than used - not for long!

Suzuki is continuing in Canada, I guess US models will migrate north
    Those so called Gurus never want to get on a manufacturer's bad side. He is hedging his bets in case Suzuki ever comes back around.

You are right, if they are discounting Suzukis new 5k to 6k, what is a USED ONE WORTH?
  • Suzuki is very competitive in small cars, they are the 3cyl champ of the universe but they wanted to be like everybody else and produced a series of uninspiring cars, with a horrible dealer network. Numerous states are legalizing golf carts and other goofy vehicles for local roads, Suzi should have jumped on that with their myriad of small vehicles.

They have a good rep with their other products and produce reliable engines and drivetrains but didn't parlay that into market favs. Kizashi is a nice car with a horrible name, the SX4 is co-developed with Chrysler, if Suzukis were rebadged and sold thru the Chrysler network they'd steal sales from Chrysler and Fiat models. Somebody with a decent network should be able to sell renamed Kizashis in decent numbers.

Once burned, twice shy.
  • I'm not being quiet, I just don't feel like coming back on here and telling you that the Suzuki Kizashi is still the best midsizer out there.

And as far as Mitsubishi leaving the U.S. market, read my lips...no new taxes...umm...I mean Mitsubishi won't be leaving the U.S. market. This year. Or next year.

Or the year after that. Or that. Truth be this.

2011 Kia Soul Sport 5-speed

Your right about Mitsu not leaving the market. They are making product for export in Normal, IL. They will in all likelihood not close that plant.

They will probably continue to have a sub-standard dealer network and just let their dealers fall where they may. It would look bad to have a domestic manufacturing plant with no dealer network, as pitiful as it may be.

Their goal of selling 100K in units is a pipe dream.
  • Suzuki models are outdated and relatively poor on MPG per article on orphan bargains - and good luck on getting warrantee work done

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1080335_should-i-buy-a-new-suzuki-now-that-i- ts-leaving-the-u-s
    I totally agree on the warranty aspect. Suzuki has no reason to perform warranty work since they will in all likelihood not return to the U.S. market anytime soon. They could care less about having "satisfied owners".

People will say-"well get a Lawyer to make them perform". But at that point you better off paying for the work yourself because it will cost you just as much to hire a Lawyer, not to mention the time it takes to crawl through the court system.
  • myllertimemyllertime Posts: 4
    edited December 2012
    I commute to work 40 miles each way going about 70mph. So about 90% freeway. I avg about 29mpg. I measured a 350 mile trip (only freeway) got about 32mpg. But yes, when I drive city only i get 20-22mpg. I have a 2012 SLS AWD. Also, I just got warranty work done on my car. I wanted the updated GPS so i said mine would freeze and they replaced it right away. no questions asked. I'm in Utah.
  • I was surprised to see a lot of late model Suzukis in FL, some AWD, mostly SX10, I thought there might be a couple of healthy dealers in So FL then it dawned on me that these were cars off rental lots (Hertz, Avis) - the pizza delivery guy wasn't worried about getting stuck in snow, he just got the cheapest low mileage wheels available! Suzuki beat out Hyundai and Kia in the race to the bottom!
  • Wow! I must be lucky or something! In the city, i average about 25,26 mpg, and on the interstate at 70 mph, I get up to 36 mpg!! I am totally satisfied!! But...I have a front wheel drive version! When I bought mine,my choices were AWD,but without leather,or the leather edition without AWD......I took 2 days to decide,but I don't regret it.....well if my wallet had a thicker skin,I'd have like to have my cake and eat it too!
  • rcopa1rcopa1 Posts: 24
    I have a 2011 Kizashi SE which i really love. I have had it for almost two years. About a year ago the rims started to peel. It was very strange. As time passed all four rims peeled, some more serious than others. I took it to the dealer a few weeks ago and was surprised that Suzuki agreed to have the rims refinished under warranty. They even gave me a rental car for several days. Just telling this story because they are standing behind the car and its warranty. It's a great car, just wish i had bought the SLS model.
  • jaydee11jaydee11 Posts: 19
    Hey,thanks for the post! It's good to know that Suzuki is honoring the warranty! Do you have the 18'' alloys with the 20 spokes? I have had mine since July 2012 (it's a '12) and so far,so good! Although I do have a little spot on the hood that is showing bare metal...I just went over 7,000 miles :-(
  • rcopa1rcopa1 Posts: 24
    I have the 18 inch wheels which came standard on the SE in 2011 and 2012. The 18 inch alloys that come on the GTS and SLS i dont believe will have the same issue. The silver was peeling off really bad, exposing black metal. I've seen others online with the same issue. I was given an Elantra as a loaner and could not believe how aweful it drove. Really missed my Kizashi those few days. I am hoping to get a good deal on a SLS there seem be good deals out there.
    Yeah,then they're the same ones I have! A [non-permissible content removed] to clean,but they look awesome! And I can only imagine that the Elantra drove like crap!lol I don't let anyone else drive my Kizashi,but those who ride with me,are mighty impressed! But I wished it had a standard tranny in it!
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,694
    Funny we always want what we don't have. I've learned one lesson through life, when it comes to a vehicle, buy what you really want even if you must spend some extra green, you'll never regret it as every time you drive your vehicle, you'll have that big grin on your face! Knowing you should've just gone for it will make an unhappy person as the miles add up so just get what ya want at the start and drive happy! My next vehicle will probably be my last so I'm saving up now for that day, driving my little econocar so one day in the future I can get my luxomobile that I really really want...life is just to damn short to deny oneself a little pleasure while we're here and i want a nice vehicle to drive!

The Passionate Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

You know,you 're right! I took that plunge when I bought mine! I was only there for an oil change for my HHR! Took a test drive,got hooked! And it was my first new car since 1987! I bought a Nissan Sentra! Wanna hear the options? It had a radio antenna.......in the trunk!! And a heater! was a young soldier and I bought while stationed in Germany! $7,995! I eventually added a set of fog lamps and a radio to go with the antenna! ANd I found a set of hubcaps,instead of the little plastic hub cover it originally came with!