Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Tahoe Stabilitrak Problems

mbc53103mbc53103 Member Posts: 3
edited June 2015 in Chevrolet
After 4 days at the 'big' dealership in town I have resorted to looking for my own answer....
After my last tire rotation it seems that the stabilitrak and traction control system has losts its mind. Every so often, nearly every 5 minutes and sometimes more frequesntly, the dinging and the message "stabilitrak disabled"/ "service stabilitrak"/ "service traction control" (one of those) comes up.

The cruise control also quits on me, while engaged in cruising, you resume, it quits again, you reset, it quits again, until it eventually stops reacting to the buttons you push all together.

On top of all this.... I believe the stabilitrak thing is effecting my remote start... which in the south, during the summer, is not acceptable.

The dealer said the message is not staying up long enought to register with the diagnostics commputer to tell them whats wrong... so they have no idea what to do. I'm going to try another dealer this week and perhaps talk to someone who actually knows what i'm talking about rather than the guy that just types in what i say is wrong.....

anyone heard of this or (god send) know whats goin on and how to fix or tell dealer how to fix?!

See Also: Just Answer: Tahoe Traction/Stabilitrak Light Comes On

Comments

• kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    This is all obviously computer controlled, and the computer is monitoring a number of different sensors. Each of the wheels have sensors, as well as tranny and engine. Additionally for the cruise contol, there are the steering wheel switches as well as the brake switch which provide input to the computer.

So you could have one of the sensors or switches acting up (ie. one of the inputs to the computer), or you could have a problem with the computer itself.

I'm slightly suspicious that this problem may have started with the last tire rotation, so I personally would be checking the connections on the wheel sensors.....although that could just as easily be a random coincidence that this is now happening.
  • tahoefamilytahoefamily Member Posts: 1
    My 2007 Tahoe experienced the same problem right after a tire rotation this past Monday. The dealer believes that it may be the wheel sensors, so I am taking it back this coming Monday. Yesterday when I started the vehicle, the check engine light stayed on and according to On-star the engine is running to lean. I find it a little suspicious that these problems are starting at this particular time. Has anyone ever received confirmation and satisfaction that fixed the problem?
  • mbc53103mbc53103 Member Posts: 3
    i believe what the dealeship called it was the body module sensors? i cant remember exactly what they said but warranty covered the replacement.
    ask your dealer if he'd like to talk to my dealer and they can compare notes.
    Fuller Chevrolet in Rincon GA, talk to Jimmy and your dealers service manager to talk to him about the "psycho" 07 Tahoe. Jimmy will know what your talking about.
  • moddestmikemoddestmike Member Posts: 2
    I have began experiencing this very issue. Check engine light engages sporadically, lean codes, and stabilitrak engages/disengages sporadically. There is a bulletin that most dealerships should be aware of which looks like our issue. I just want to know what type of cost am I looking at, should be fixed free of charge considering there is nothing any of us are doing outside of driving when this occurs.

Here is the bulletin:

#07-06-04-013A: L76 4L70-E Chuggle, Surge, Hesitation May Be Felt with Active Fuel Management System Cylinder Deactivation Transition from V8 Mode to V4 Mode or Harsh 1-2 Upshift (Reprogram ECM and TCM) - (Nov 26, 2007)

Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/questions/28wco-i-have-a-2007-chevrolet-avalanche-5-3-- flex-fuel-during-a#ixzz0bahF2U7I

Subject: L76 4L70-E Chuggle, Surge, Hesitation May be Felt with Active Fuel Management System Cylinder Deactivation Transition from V8 Mode to V4 Mode or a Harsh 1-2 Upshift (Reprogram ECM and TCM)

Models: 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe
    2007 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL
    with Active Fuel Management System Vortec® GEN IV 6.0L V8 Engine (VIN Y -- RPO L76)
    and HYDRA-MATIC® 4L70-E Transmission (RPO M70)

This bulletin is being revised to remove the 4L60-E transmission and add condition information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 07-06-04-013 (Section 06 -- Engine/Propulsion System).

Condition

Some customers may comment on a chuggle, surge or hesitation felt during an Active Fuel Management System (AFM) cylinder deactivation transition point or a harsh 1-2 upshift .

Correction

Before reprogramming the ECM and TCM, compare the vehicle to a like vehicle. This may be a normal condition for an Active Fuel Management System equipped vehicle and no repairs should be attempted. The vehicle you are evaluating may be a little harsh in AFM transition. A calibration update was released for the ECM and TCM to soften the feel of the AFM transition.
    SPS Information

• Refer to Service Bulletin Number 06-08-47-001C for information on reprogramming two modules.
    • ECM -- New calibration to address customer concern of bump during active fuel management transitions. Must also program TCM with latest calibrations.
    • TCM -- New operating system and calibrations to improve engine performance and shift quality. You must also program the ECM with latest calibrations.

Reprogram the ECM and TCM with the latest calibrations if the above concern is encountered. Updated ECM and TCM calibrations are now available to address this concern. These calibrations, or any that follow, are designed to address this concern. Refer to Service Programming System (SPS) using the appropriate Service Information (SI) procedures. The new ECM and TCM calibrations will be available to dealerships as part of TIS2000 incremental satellite update version 4.5, for 2007 (available on 04/23/07), and on TIS DVD version 5.0/2007 or later, which will be mailed to dealers on 05/09/2007. If you cannot access the calibration, call the Techline Customer Support Center and it will be provided. As always, make sure your Tech 2® is updated with the latest software version.

Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/questions/28wco-i-have-a-2007-chevrolet-avalanche-5-3-- flex-fuel-during-a#ixzz0bahN0xIK
  • valdal84valdal84 Member Posts: 2
    We purchased our 07 Tahoe used and have had it almost a year and a half and everything was great until a week ago.

First the car was very sluggish to start (we thought it was the cold weather causing this) and then the airbag light came on and we lost the entire instrument panel. We stopped the car and when we turned it back on the panel was back and the airbag light was gone but then it said to "service battery charging system" and the "service traction control" would come on and then go away (and we tested the traction control in the snow and it was still working fine).

Next the motor light came on and we had an appt. to hook it up to a diagnostic machine later in the day. However, that same morning we had the battery tested and were told we needed a new one so we replaced it since we thought if it was low maybe it was throwing the eletrical stuff off (and on our way there the engine light went off). So after the battery was changed out everything seemed okay and no lights came on all day and since the engine light had turned itself off we couldn't get a diagnosis from the machine.

We thought all was good until the next day when the "service Stabilitrak" came on intermittenly 3 times within 15 minutes and the car started shifting really hard between 1st and 2nd. We were going to see if the engine light came back so we could hook it up but now that I see we aren't the only ones with this problem I will try to contact the dealer about the service builletin mentioned above. Has anyone else had any luck getting this taken care of? If we are successful we will try to post back what was done.
  • moddestmikemoddestmike Member Posts: 2
    I have an appointment scheduled for Monday and would like to go in with as much info as possible.
  • valdal84valdal84 Member Posts: 2
    It seems our Tahoe was calming down for the last week and I couldn't get it to display any problems so I couldn't go to the dealer to get it diagnosed unless the motor light came back on. Well last night the "service traction control" came back twice on my way home and this morning on my way to work the engine light re-appeared. Tonight we will be contacting our friend who has the diagnostic machine and see what we come up with. So as of now I don't have any helpful information but will try to post once we find out (hopefully) what is wrong.
  • anibal1150anibal1150 Member Posts: 1
    Six months ago i bought my 07 tahoe everything was fine until last week I drove to work in the morning and at night didn't even started fuel gague and gear selector stopped working also the ABS light and The Traction control light came on after desconecting battery for 30 minutes finally started and the check engine light stayed on same afternoon had it scaned and it gave a code U0073 Module Control Buss. Next day all the lights were off and worked fine for three days then it happened again and never started, had it towed to dealer and after two days they called me saying that i needed a new battery for $195.95. According to dealer the battery had a bad cell and it could cause this malfunctions. Everithing was ok until today that the Cruise control stopped working and the extended waranty i got doesn't cover the cruise control system so tomorrow will try to get an appointment to have it fix and will update on how much is the cost.
  • rbs68cgrrbs68cgr Member Posts: 1
    Wow I am surprised how many others have same problems. We bought our 07 z71 new off the lot & it was really good for a while. But our first fix was a bad battery, and then it had the shifting problem where it kicked hard. Air bag light needed fixed, but it still comes back on. Then both front bearings went out ($500 a piece). The traction control has been giving problems. We are able to shut it off so it drives fine. Few sensors have been replaced. Luckily about everything has been covered under warranty. We are about to our 100k mile mark. So hopefully we have a lil bit of luck on our side.
  • benjo777benjo777 Member Posts: 6
    I know this is an old forum but has anyone actually seen an official solution for this problem? My local dealership has not been able to find the answer for over a year now. I have Stabletrack lights coming on 5 times a day and it's sad how used to it I am. If anyone has had the updates work that where described in the TSB please let me know.

Thanks!
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    benjo777,
    I apologize that you are experiencing concerns with your vehicle. Have you had a chance to speak with your local dealer about this? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    Christina,
    I started taking my Tahoe in to our dealership over a year ago when it had 95k miles on it. They could never figure it out and even had my car for over three weeks, still no solution. A data recorder was place in my car and still no solution . I have spoken to GM national service and was eventually forwarded to a regional service rep who eventually told me that there was nothing I could do if they couldn't find the root cause, and in addition was very unprofessional about helping me. Now 8 months later and out of warranty with 106k I deal with this problem everyday and drive an unreliable vehicle. Maybe you can help with this since I'm at a dead end. Not happy with GM right now and really question the company after this experience. I would be glad to talk with you about this over the phone if you want more details.
    Ben
  • mbc53103mbc53103 Member Posts: 3
    my dealership figured it out. it was a body modular sensor? If you want tell your dealer to call Fuller Chevrolet in Rincon GA. Thats where they figured it out and fixed it.
    Good luck
    Ben,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Can you please send me your case number? Have a great weekend!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    Service case # 71-863516968
    Ben,
    It looks like the dealer and your agent were waiting for you to take your vehicle in to the dealer. The agent was waiting for you to follow up and take your vehicle to the dealer.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • tylernkytylernky Member Posts: 8
    Started yesterday afternoon on my way to an emergency farm visit (I use the Suburban for my VET practice.).Lights indicating Stabilitrak and traction controls are now off. Then they go out, then back on four times will driving down highway at approx: 55 MPH. Then it stated to service, which would go on and off. Then finally all off and everything was fine by the time I made it to the farm.
    2 hours later, with a very ill animal in back that needed emergency surgery, the same happened again on way to office an hour away. Will lights were blinking on and off , the truck became sluggish and then the steering locked up and then released , after that I tried to pull over and the brakes failed for about 15 seconds, then started working and the truck stalled and would not restart. Thanks to several people, they helped me push the truck off road. Meanwhile having an assistant rush to come and get me and the dying animal. After thirty minutes of trying to keep the animal alive: I tried to restart the truck and it would turn over and would continue trying to crank itself for a solid minute with out me turning the key. after three attempts, it started and no lights and ran great: But, with all the loss time, by the time I made it to the clinic and prepped for surgery the animal died. That 45 minutes of truck trouble has caused me to lose a clients animal , that I could have saved.
    This morning, the truck started with no problem. Then at clinic, I go out to start and it did the continual starting sound for about 45 seconds and then it started, but, when drove down the road, between first and second gear a loud boom and jerk and the gauges went haywire and the stereo went to full blast and the brakes quit. This is obvious a very dangerous occurrence that could be deadly.
    After searching all the forums etc, this same exact problem is happening to many 07 and 08 tahoes, yukons, denalis, suburbans,silverados, cadialliac xts and envoys, But, to no avail: the solutions that seem to be a multitude of try and see attempts with great costs to the owner that does not seem to work. I do not want to go thru weeks and weeks of attempts of replacing this and that in which does not fix the problem. Also, it is troubling that with hundreds affected, Gm nor the dealers have a solution. This to me is a potential life threatening defect if steering or brakes fail to work properly, especially if it happens at higher speeds as it did with me.
    Is the Body Modular sensor truly the culprit? Has anyone really gotten the problem fixed? I want to be able to take it in, but, want to have the solution or the recommendation for the repair center to follow. After talking to three service center associates at three different dealers, all three said they have heard of the problem many times, but have no idea how to fix it...Really!? If lives are lost due to the dangers this proposes, I am afraid it will resemble the Toyota Brake fiasco.
    How many vehicles does it take with the same exact problem and dangers before a recall is suggested?
    Thank you all and I love Chevrolet, but, this needs to be addressed.
    If anyone has had a successful repair, please let me know what you had done. thanks all!!
    tylernky,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. I would like to set up a case with GM Customer Assistance. In order to start the process I will need your complete contact information (including full name, mailing address and phone number), VIN, current mileage and involved dealership sent to me in an email. Also, could you please provide a brief description of the problems you are experiencing?

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,555
    tylernky:

Click on gmcustsvc name, and you'll see their e-mail...

thanks!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I did not know that, thank u for showing me that
  • vtranevtrane Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2007 Yukon Denali with 59K on it. I was driving 55 mph on the way to work and my stabili track light flashed off, then traction control off, then is said service stabili track and service traction control. I called onstar and they said one of the sides of the engine is running lean which might cause this issue which doesn't make sense to me. I have read every thread and it looks like there might be a fix for this issue. One of the threads stated they need to replace a "body module"? can someone please let me know how much this costs. Or if you have a specific explanation in lamens terms that I can tell my mechanic so I can fix this on the first shot I would really appreciate. I don't want to go through what a lot of other individuals have had to go through. I sincerely appreciate any help you can give. Thanks!!
    Hi mbc53103,

I called Jimmy today regarding the stabilitrak, tcs issue and he could not remember what vehicle the "pysco" tahoe was. He said I was his 6th call. Is there anything that you could give me (while still protecting your identity) that could help jimmy pull up what the solution was for your vehicle. any help would be appreciated. I dropped my denali off with my mechanic and he started telling me that the i probably need to replace several things which is adding up fast. thanks!
    Hi Christina,

I am looking for any help you can give. My 2007 Denali is having the same exact problems. . check engine light on, (onstar says engine running lean) and stabilitrak light and tcs light turning on and off. I am hoping there is an answer so I can tell my mechanic before he starts replacing things that are unrelated which will cost me a fortune. Any help that you can give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    Hi modestmike,

My Denali is doing the same exact thing so I dropped it off with my mechanic today. I was wondering if the check engine light (onstar said my enging was running lean) had anything to do with the stabilitrak light coming on. also, how much did it cost to fix and what was the fix. any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a million!
    I was one of the six: and he had no idea .... You would think with so many people having this problem, someone would know the solution...
    This is my whole point, I do not want to take my truck in an they just start replacing parts and empting my wallet and it still does not fix the problem. as far as the Body module, many who had that replaced still had the same issues.
    Its starting to sound like a major CPU problem since it affects everything from the rear hatch to brake system, to steering, to starting and running lean.All I know is the first couple of times that people wreck due to locked steeering or brakes failing, GM will get a whole lot of publicity.
    thank you for taking the time to reply. My mechanic is running diagnostic tests that started yesterday and should finish today to hopefully let me know what he thinks is the problem. I sent him the blog history which will hopefully help him out. Just the diagnostics fees are up to $200 so hopefully the fix will not cost thousands, if he can even find one.
    vtrane,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. Has the dealership involved our Technical Assistance? Please keep us posted.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
    Hi Caron,
    I will check to see if the Technical Assistance team has been contacted. Do you know if there has been some kind of recall? The more I investigate on line the more people I have found with these same issues. It is hard to believe that a $60k vehicle has major computer malfunctions with in 60k miles that affect issues with the vehicles braking, accelerating,braking,shifting, stability and traction control systems. It should be covered under warranty and there should be a recall. Thank you for taking the time to respond.
  • rsorrensonrsorrenson Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2011
    This is exactly what happened to me yesterday 2007 suburban ..59650 to 59670 miles when it happened . stabiltrak warning, traction warning, hard shifting etc etc engine light

What was your exact mileage ...

Did you get a repair ? I really dont need to be raped by by local dealer playing swap the parts Im in canada so parts are double..yes double the price ...so when I say raped..I mean really raped

not sure if related but have read reports

4 months ago had the oil pressure drop to zero , false warrning.

last summer had drivers door window button melt down ( literally went up in smoke) Had to replace all wiring and switch and doesnt control other windows , door lock..think BCM is shot ( dealer wants 650 for BCM )

engine has low oil level warning ..dealer wanted 100 "diagnostic fee " while under warranty

I have a 2005 blazer a 2005 CTS-V and this 2007 surburban ..this thing is an electrical nightmare :lemon:
  • rhagen1rhagen1 Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2007 Suburban. I embarked on a 3,000 mile family vacation to Montana. After 1,300 miles of problem free driving, the stabilitrak, traction control and engine lights came on indicating "Stabilitrak off" and "traction control off". It was saying service needed.

At the very same time, the engine started to have hesitation upon acceleration. This was all happening in the middle of Montana yesterday. I am now in Montana with my family worried about driving the vehicle for fear that it will cease to operate and leave us stranded. I have only 60,000 miles on this car and am very upset about what's happening, in particular, because we are thousands of miles from home.

I do not like what I'm reading about the steering locking up or the brakes having an issue. I have my three young children in the car.

I will be taking my car in to a dealer in upstate Montana tomorrow. I would really like to hear from customer service as to possible solutions to this problem so I can assist the dealer in diagnosing and fixing the problem.

Thank you.
    Sounds like we have the same problem. Have you been able to solve your issue?

If so, I would really appreciate anything you can tell me. I'm traveling on a long road trip, thousands of miles from home and worried that my very expensive suburban won't get me home.

Thank you.
    I will back peddle on my last post re raping by dealership ( GM canada still charges double what GM US does for parts , since they are the same company..RAPE does still apply however)

In this case I took the truck to Budds in Oakville ( former Kerr and now only dealer in town ) they ran the engine codes and came up with clean throttle body and injectors. This cost me around 300 and the truck is a fine. The whole stabiltrak/traction/ hard shift problem went away

Oil level fixed under warranty ( which the previous dealer claimed wasnt a warranty item ,( Nothing was a warranty item at oakville chev)

Electrical problem with door RE: FIRE required BCM reprogram ($100)

Throw in an oil change and the day was 600 which I am very happy with as I was expecting over 600 in parts for the BCM alone

Very happy with the dealer and the cost was fair . Provided the fix holds..Happy GM customer again
    Thank you for the information. I called my chevy serviceman this morning before receiving your message and he came up with the same solution - throttle body sensor. I'm comforted that your solution is the same that he suggested. The Montana chevy dealer, hopefully, will come up with the same solution.

Thanks again.
    My 2007 Tahoe has been in the dealership for over a week now. This is the 4th time in looking for a solution. Currently the are replacing parts trying to find the solution, which was my initial worry. They replaced an O2 sensor then did something to the intake valve. They are still receiving a check engine light and are currently stumped on a solution. So currently around $700 deep it sounds like I don't have a solution. I'll keep posting on here if they do find a solution. If not, pursuing a Lemon Law suit might be at stake.

benjo777
    jackson, wy
  • acroweacrowe Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2007 LTZ that has has many of the same issues. We had the engine replaced at 41k...STILL burning oil like crazy. The drivers seat works half the time...usually have to put in gear, drive 2 blocks, park and it will adjust. The left passenger window will go down, but won't go up from the passengers controls. The brake light doesn't work (have tried 3 separate light bulbs) The traction control/stabiltrack light is on. We had the parking assist sensors replaced last year ($$$ and lying dealership)...the ENTIRE front dash went out. The tailgate sometimes will not work. This vehicle looks great, drives great, but is POORLY manufactured. Oops...this weekend I was filling it with gas and went to open the door handle...it broke off. What did the dealer say? "SORRY...this is going to cost a LOT to fix"...SERIOUSLY...when the entire electrical system seems shorted, why can't this company stand by their products? I would highly recommend looking elsewhere for a vechicle. Hard to imagine we saved this company that produces such crap.
    to add..the parking assist is broken AGAIN...unreal. We also had to change the battery...seems odd...my Ford purred along for years. Lots of excuses at the dealership..."never heard of ANY of these problems sir..."

I guess they dont read the internet or any of the dealer recommended solutions that GM sends out.
    it has only happened one more time in three weeks, i have been waiting for a solution to the problem, the brakes have not reacted again, but the steering wheel did lock up when pulled over and tried to put in park. Turned truck off and lights went off and steering unlocked.

BUT, not everytime since the first episode, the truck has a hard start, turn key once and it tries to start for 15 seconds or more, turn key off and immediately try again and it finally starts, but extremely ruff idle and then smooths out, but, constantly notice chugging power up hills and spit and sputter when leaving a full stop. then fine agai. but, now, EVERY single start I have to keep trying until it does.

Any solutions? Is this Throttle Body sensor really the issue? Anyone sell this part to install myself?

Thanks all
    new one today! Dropped friends off at the airport...left truck idling, got out and removed luggage from back..closed tailgate...went to get back in...DOORS were all locked!

Thank god the back window opened...had to crawl through to doors!

why is it that with all these issues that GM has not issued multiple recalls instead of asking me to shell out more and more dollars when I already spent 50k+ on this thing?
    The service shop put it on the computer and the codes led the shop to believe that it was a problem with the intake. They think that's what is causing the vehicle to use an inordinate amount of oil between oil changes.

Having said that, it was supposed to be done today, but the shop hasn't called yet so I'm thinking that they fixed the intake issue (possibly gasket) but that didn't fix the issue.

Another service shop I spoke with mentioned that if you're having a lot of electrical issues, the body control module is probably the issue. I'm not having a lot of electrical issues like you are. I would look into replacing the BCM.

Somewhere in this blog, I read that one person had an intake gasket issue. I'm hoping that's my problem.

After reading all the blog replies, I believe there are a number of different issues with our model of car.

Although I'm beyond my warranty period (by one week), GM has agreed to give me a "good will" warranty and fix my car without cost. I think GM may realize that there are some significant problems that need to be addressed with the $60K car we all purchased.
    Another service shop I spoke with mentioned that if you're having a lot of electrical issues, the body control module is probably the issue. I'm not having a lot of electrical issues like you are. I would look into replacing the BCM.

It doesnt necessarily need to be replaced, the BCM can also be reprogramed at any dealership.
    update: when dealer replaced engine they installed it incorrectly and tires have rubbed off all the casing on the wiring harness..NICE! Let's hope they fix it now as I had to take it to a different dealer to diagnose the issue. Funny thing is that even though this has been ongoing and progressive, it wasn't noticed when brakes or new tires were done st the original dealer, yet new dealer saw it when a mechanic was going out for a smoke prior to lifting it...

I am guessing I am in for a battle with the original dealer...
  • mmindietammindieta Member Posts: 1
    I too am having issues with my 07 Tahoe. We are on a trip in south texas and had to replace our tires. We are on our way home and the stabilitrack/ tractcion control keeps flashing. Now the check engine light is on. We stopped the Tahoe to check it but that was the wrong thing to do. It wouldn't restart. We had to wait about 15 minutes and try. Luckily it started and we are back on the road. The stabilitrack/ traction light and engine light is still on. We have 300 more miles to go, hope we make it.
    Some of the messages I've read indicated that changing tires (other than the size originally put on the vehicle) could cause the computer to think that the wheels are spinning at different rates or something to that effect. This will cause the stabilitrak and traction control lights to go off.
    My car seems to be fixed. The Chevy dealer said that there were three technical service bulletins that related to my problem.

Here were my symptoms: my car threw the stabilitrak and traction control warning lights and the engine light came on. The car would then run sluggishly with hesitation and poor acceleration. At idle speed the car wanted to die or stall. Here is another symptom that I thought was unrelated, but apparently was an overall symptom. My car would eat oil quickly. I had to add a quart about every 1,000 miles. The dealership where I bought the car said it was normal. The dealership that just fixed my car said it was not normal.

Here's what the recent service station found. This is there write up. . . "Found oil in the PVC system. Referenced document 2680306 (I think this is the technical service bulletin number), which stated to install updated valve cover if excessive oil was found in intake, and follow latest version of 10-06-01-008. That document (2596962) states to install the AFM deflector in the oil pan and perform the combustion chamber cleaning procedure."

They found all my plugs were fouled and one was damaged. This was probably causing a misfire which, in turn, caused my stabilitrak and traction control lights to come on as well as my engine light.

I hope this post is helpful to those of you who may have this problem. Please note that my research on this issue has led me to believe that when your stabilitrak and traction control lights come on the following could be the culprit:

1. body control module (BCM) is going bad. This is typically accompanied by electrical issues such as door locks having a problem, antitheft control being triggered (wheel locks up and brakes lock up), you name it.

2. new tires that aren't the same size.

3. dirt or debris on the front or rear wheel sensors thus causing the computer to think there is something wrong and throwing the traction control "off" to come on.

4. oil found in the intake (my problem) - misfiring

5. bad spark plug causing a misfire

Good luck gentlemen. If I discover any new information, I will try to post it. We appear to be fixed and will be driving back home from Montana to Illinois. Nothing worse than being broken down 2,000 miles from home.
  • jgust1224jgust1224 Member Posts: 4
    This just happened to me yesterday!!! 80K mies!! Wat is the cost for their problem...I had it towed to a chevy dealer in the middle of MO.... I had my 4 young children in the car and we were going 75.... Right next to a semi!!
  • jgust1224jgust1224 Member Posts: 4
    Hi

I was going 70 on the highway next to a semi with my family in the car yesterday. We were 1100 miles from home and the stabilitrac light came on. Then it said service. I pulled to the right because it started to die...next to a semi... 4 young kids screaming...my wife screaming... I get it to the side of the road and it dies... I goto start it...it makes the starting noise...for like 10 seconds and nothing... After waiting 45 minutes on the shoulder in 104 degree heat with trucks whizzing by...I looked up this forum and see..it's a common problem. I have it at a dealer in Republic MO. The forums are plentiful on this issue..has GM responded ???? What should I expect to pay for their issue??
    I'm not sure of the cost of the repairs as mine was fixed under warranty. My issue did not cause my car to die at high speeds. It just caused it to act sluggishly and it hesitated upon accelerations. My car started each time without much difficulty so it's possible we don't have the same problem.

I've heard bad gasoline can cause the stabilitrak, traction control and engine lights to come on. The service station needs to put it on the computer and review the codes to dial into the problem since there can be many culprits that would throw those warning lights on.

Somewhere in my reading I saw that a GM customer service rep was replying at one point to someone's issues. I'm pretty sure that GM is aware of these issues given the technical service bulletins they are releasing to service stations (trying to help the service stations figure out how to fix these problems).

Good luck and hope you get back on the road soon.
    The bad gas issue was a thought of mine as well. I put fuel stabilizer and cleaner in tank and I am three tanks past first initial problem. "when" it does start it is ruff and still feel major power loss, we do not use this truck for our emergency farm services which it was purchased for. It will still occasionally ram into 2nd gear and has cut completely off will driving down highway: everyone at my clinic is scared of it.

I was hoping to find a true fix and/or was hoping it was a fluke and bad gas that would go away. Guess it's time for a visit to dealership and see how many times I will be taking it back, like so many others.

I WILL post on this forum and the three additional forums to inform the hundreds of others the fix, if there ever is one. :lemon:
    The doors locking all by themselves has happen twice already as well.