Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Tahoe Stabilitrak Problems

Comments

• hezekiah1972hezekiah1972 Member Posts: 3
    I'm at 60k+/- and we noticed all the same stuff. We bought it with 45k in nov. 2010 and early this year noticed the radio/Onstar quit on us once, dealer couldn't find/solve the issue. We also noticed we'd use and extra qt or 2 of oil between changes(and yes we use synthetic--mobil). The the Ac began failing intermittently. Then Fri Aug 19th we got our first dose of the TCS/stabillitrac warning lights. Dealer could only find an issue with the fuel and changed our a sensor? and did some programming, but 2 days later it happened again with the hard shifting from 1st to 2nd again, lights, chimes, etc. It also lurched on my wife today(8/29) when she tried to start it and she said the steering locked up, and the accelarator was sluggish.

8/29/11-- vehicle is currently at dealership with 1 week left on the drive train, had anybody had their issues 'solved' with the 'fixes' listed on this feed????

PLEASE NOTE-- I went to the NTSA site and filled out a safety complaint form tonight as that has become an issue, and I URGE you all to do the same..... http://www.safercar.gov/
    are you still good??? mine's in the shop...wondering what to tell them...
  • benjo777benjo777 Member Posts: 6
    Mine is fixed and here is what they did at the shop:

replaced master air flow sensor
    repaired? intake valve
    changed spark plugs (one was bad)

Total: $1780

Ouch, but work great now. Good luck.
  • zluminzlumin Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I was about to pick my kids for music class. My 2007 Tahoe won't start. It shows "Traction Control" and "Stabilitrak". I had to cancel the class. Don't know if it is still under warranty.
    Thank you for the update, mine is showing a bad plug, they want to test it for oil consumption issues to see if it is within Chevy's guidelines....I hope this is under warranty or I am going to have to stand my ground.

Classic dealer too, they don't have a clue what's wrong with my vehicle till I read up on it a bunch and suddenly they seem to know what to do like clockwork, but the day before I got bewilderment, confusion, and 'let's just replace the next part' game....
  • canada11canada11 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2012
    I have an 07 Tahoe LS with the same issues..."Stabitrack off" then "Traction Control Off" then "Service Satbiltrac" and engine starts to run rough. Once the messages start engine shifts rough between 1st and 2nd, brake issues, steering issues, etc. Been to 2 dealers and 2 independent garages. No one knows what is going on but they all want to do $1000.00 + dollars to try to figure it out and of course change the oil. Been told everything from needs a tune up to, #1 cylinder isn't firing to, needs a new motor. Truck runs great...well hard on gas, until you get above 2400 RPM then the gremlins start....and it's dangerous. I'm convinced it's an electrical or sensor issue. As anticipated, GM has been as much help as a blindman at a shooting competition...no offence to the blind and heavy on incompotent GM! From all the forums I've been to, it seems this is a systemic dangerous issue and should be a recall...Anyone found a cause or solution yet?
  • tylernkytylernky Member Posts: 8
    I am one of the earlier reporters of the problem and after many visits to dealer and talks with Chevy.We have finally found the solution: have the dealership mechanic run diagnostic program (with the big honker of a diagnostic hand held tool) with truck running and isolate the fuel pump output. There was some sort of tolerable range that the fuel pump was allowed to function, but watching the numbers the fuel pump was putting out, showed the fuel pump was shorting out and output numbers below what was needed.If the truck's computer picks this malfunction up, it causes the whole system to go haywire, causing so many other things act like they are the cause...
    I have recommended the replacement of the fuel pump to several others with the same issue, once it was replaced, their's , and my truck (and yours too )was back in good working order. Good luck, Tyler in Kentucky
  • vtranevtrane Member Posts: 7
    My local garage found out a loose ground wire, he originally was going to replace one of two "brains" or "modules" which I said I did not want to pay for. After checking a few things out he pulled the ground off, scraped off some paint and re-attached it. For my situation (read my previous description) it would happen intermittently. What ever he did it fixed the situation. It recently happened again so I am going to take it back to him. Other than that it only cost me about $100 bucks and it lasted over 6 months.
  • benjo777benjo777 Member Posts: 6
    Mine was officially fixed and resolved with exact problem that your having. After more than a year of pain and filing a complaint with GM, and a possible lemon law claim, my dealer fixed it for $1,600, out of warranty scope even just under 100k. They main bulk of work was the Master air flow sensor. I guess after 100k that was really the only out of standard maintenance I put into it so I bit the bullet. Hope this helps.
  • hezekiah12hezekiah12 Member Posts: 6
    I had all of these issues also, mine was also fixed by replacing the fuel pump which the dealer did at their cost as I was complaining directly to chevy detroit.
  • hezekiah12hezekiah12 Member Posts: 6
    I had all of the issues reported here on my 2007 Chevy Suburban. TCS lights/stabilitrak lights going haywire, heavy oil consumption, my wife even said the vehicle lurched in park and the doors locked on her. Dealer diagnosis kept coming up as 'lean codes'. I complained to Detroit and stood my ground as the issue started just weeks before the warranty expired. Mine has been fixed and doing good for 6 months now after the dealer replaced the fuel pump(after many other attempted fixes). They did it at their cost $600 as I politely didn't back down---calling chevy detroit really helped expedite my fix as the dealer dealt with me much more promptly afterwards.

Good Luck!!!!
  • kev24kev24 Member Posts: 1
    Does this problem continue in the '08s or '09s?
  • omckenzieomckenzie Member Posts: 1
    i am having same problem as most of you i bought my yukon jan 2006 by june 2007 problems started and the dealer would tell me that they couldn't diagnose the problem unless it was happening when i brought in
  • jgust1224jgust1224 Member Posts: 4
    Our issue was this... Is your oil burning more rapidly too? The pistons had to get replaced because the way the engine turns off the 4 cylinders... It's just under a recall... if you ask a reputable dealer...they will tell you...
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Good afternoon omckenzie,

I'm sorry that you've experienced Stabilitrak difficulties with your Yukon. When was your most recent diagnosis performed by your dealership? If it was within the last 30 days, we can follow up on your visit with them. Let us know!

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • mishelinmishelin Member Posts: 3
    Last week had similar problem with stabilitrak light coming on, then reduced engine power. It happened when I was at a stop sign and then accelerated. Took it into dealer driving 25 miles per hour and they said it needed maintenance and the throttle was really dirty....$430 later. Today, it did the same thing from a dead stop except this time, it had NO power. I was able to get it to the side of the road and called the dealer who sent a tow truck to come get it. It's there now and they think the throttle body needs to be replaced to the tune of over $450, but they're gonna try and cut some of the service fee off and give me 10% off the part. REALLY??!! They're not even really sure at this point that this is what the problem is. They are "trying" a couple other things before resorting to replacing the throttle body. So...what I am worried about is that I drive many little girls to soccer practice 3 nights a week and have to take the freeway to get them there. What if this happens while i'm on the freeway going 70?? I'm afraid something tragic may happen and GMC hasn't seemed to care (from what I'm reading on all kinds of different forums). Anybody with a sure fire fix yet???
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Good morning mishelin,

If you would like for us to follow up on this with your dealership, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com with more details (including your name, Edmunds username, contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your dealership).

Done.

And just for the record, after replacing the throttle body ($400) yesterday, my Yukon is still experiencing a delay from when I push the gas pedal to when it actually goes. Same as before. Same as it was doing right when all the stabilitrak /check engine warning lights came on and I lost engine power. Am anxious every time I get behind the wheel now and am waiting for the other shoe to drop (so to speak).

Did anyone ever file suit due to Lemon or Class Action?
  • yuk09sier12yuk09sier12 Member Posts: 1
    Having the same issue with a 2009 Yukon. First there were no indications of a problem and it died at a red light and would not start. I had to push it out of the intersection during rush hour with my wife and two little ones. The battery quickly went dead after about 15 min of the flashers on.

Towed to the dealership and they charged the battery and found no issues with the yukon or the battery. Just outside of warrenty but less than 34k miles!

Now today the stabilitrak lights start to blink. Going to have to take it back in and see if they can fix it. Glad I found this site as it appears that GM hasn't got a clear hold of the issue and the likelyhood of me getting this resolved the 2nd time would be slim without this knowledge.

Wish me luck...
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Keep us updated on this, yuk09sier12. If you would like for us to check into this situation further with your dealership, we are happy to do so. Please email us at socialmedia@gm.com with more information (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, the name of your dealership, and a summary of the situation).

• rpkwarpkwa Member Posts: 1
    I've a 2007 suburban and continue to have the same issues with stabilitrak you mentioned. It will just fail without warning periodically (along with an ABS warning). Tends to happen more in when the car is hot - which is not so often here in seattle. The other day I drove over a bump and the stabilitrak failed, the abs light came on, the engine light came on, the radio turned off and the clock jumped forward 4 hours. First time all this has happened, but this could point to a firewall connector issue, or poor alignments of electrics somewhere else. Not surprising. The quality of this truck has been very poor.
    rpkwa,

We're sorry to hear that you have not been satisfied with your Suburban. If you would like for us to check into anythign further with your involved dealership, please don't hesitate to contact us at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 of your VIN, and the name of your involved dealership).

• chousleychousley Member Posts: 3
    I'm researching the Stabilitrak issues on this forum this evening because my wife's 2007 Suburban is sitting in the driveway and won't start. A message displays telling me to get the Stabilitrak serviced and then the engine won't turn over. I'll try jumpstarting it in the morning, but the battery is less than one year old. This is the third time in the last 4 months that we've had some type of issue with the Stabilitrak causing the car to run rough or cease running altogether.

I've also noticed in the threads/responses that the GM customer service team has become much more active on this topic in the past few months. So I will ask you...are there any recalls or bulletins to which I should direct my local mechanic (not a GM dealer) or the local GM dealer, if I ultimately need to go there to have the issue addressed?

I will also add that this is my 2nd Suburban (in a row) and I've been pleased with the automobile overall. But, I am very concerned about the safety and reliability of my automobile and am beginning to wonder if it's time to look for another make/model.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
  • gmlikesjapangmlikesjapan Member Posts: 21
    my 04 tahoe --replaced fuel pump and situation unchanged except I'm out $700 . next , replaced abs pump and now computer says stabilitrac switch in dash is bad and unit will not go into top selection on that switch and system disabled . Replaced switch in dash and no change in messages or anything else . Is this a GM setting to make money for dealers changing random parts ? It seems also that GM mechanics get paid flat rate for each task , not by hour .
    chousley,

As far as the battery is concerned, we would suggest to check with the manufacturer of the battery to see if there is any sort of warranty (even a graduated one) on their product.

If you wanted for us to check into your vehicle's information to see if there are any open recalls please email us the last 8 digits of your VIN, your name, and contact information to socialmedia@gm.com.

That flashers will kill your battery in about 15 minutes is pretty shocking . We had the same sorry experience with our Tahoe . Please , GM , do you think emergencies are limited to 15 or 20 minutes ?
  • 2007tahoeltz2007tahoeltz Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2012
    My wife and I recently" A month ago" took our 2007 Chevy Tahoe into the local dealer to fix our rotor's. They fixed our rotors and within two days of getting the vehicle back, the "service tire pressure" light came on. We took it back into the dealer and they said it would cost 350.00 to fix the sensor. We paid to fix this issue. We got the car back and everything is running smoothly. So we decide to take a road trip to Yellowstone National Park which is about a 5 hour drive from where we live. It's snowing the whole way there, the car does fine the first day. The next morning the snow had died down and it wasn't bad, just cold. The roads were packed with snow but workers plowed the snow off the roads. We drive slow and safe, just sightseeing we get to a mountain pass and we are up high in the mountains and the roads are curving and all of the sudden the vehicle's stabilitrak, engine light and 4*4 service light comes on I hear three dings and all of the sudden my engine speed reduces, brakes fail and steering wheel locks now we are sliding on the road headed towards a cliff. My wife and I are freaked out "scared" I try “tapping” the brakes and somehow they work the car stops short of the cliff. So I turn off my engine, we sit there for about 15 minutes on this curvy road looking down a cliff. I turned on the engine everything runs like nothing had happen. If I hadn't tried the brakes, I’m sure we would've not been in a happy place right now. I decide on taking my vehicle in ASAP. I also have been researching this topic it seems many people have this same issue with their 2007 Tahoe’s as well. Has anyone figured how to fix this issue? I seriously do not feel safe driving this vehicle after this happened. Nor would I want my wife to drive by herself if this issue persists. I have been at work and not been driving my tahoe, my wife has been driving it for the past couple days and she needs to pull over turn off the engine then start it again. This situation was two days ago DEC 21 2012.
    Good morning 2007tahoeltz,
    We're glad that you're okay after that scary moment on the roads last week! Let us know if you wanted for us to check into anything by email us at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name, contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN, and a brief recap of the situation so far).

• nwesleynwesley Member Posts: 2
    This is the second time this has happened to me. Worse today, was on the express and almost got hit by a semi as I was driving 70 miles per hr and the wheel locked up, the accelerator barely working. The truck showed Stability Trak Off and Reduced Engine Power. Almost did not make it to the shoulder. This is very scary due to having my newborn in the car.
  • js2012icloudjs2012icloud Member Posts: 6
    Seems like This issue is happening to many consumers
    This is a concern that must be investigated and fixed by gmc
    Seems like GM has a really screwed up electronics situation with Stabilitrack . I had lots of trouble with it in my '04 Tahoe . Now that I am ready to buy new , I'll be acoiding GM . I've got a Tahoe & a Silverado . Both of them had rotted brake lines because they arte made of inferior material and positioned to collect road salt . They rotted out and failed in both vehicles while I was on the highway and could have killed us . Gm knows but never recalls . Shameless !
    We are very sorry to hear about this condition with your Tahoe, nwesley, and are glad that everybody's okay after the highway incident. Are you working with a dealership or local mechanic to get this checked into?

• nwesleynwesley Member Posts: 2
    I called today and the dealership stated "there could be a million reasons why it is doing that, we have never heard of that. You would have to bring it in for us to look at for service fee. Not very confident in the Service manager. but will bite the bullet and give it a shot. Im afraid that it will just be a waste of money since "we have never heard of that."
  • texcyntexcyn Member Posts: 3
    I purchased my first Tahoe last year. I'm a realtor and need a nice new large vehicle for driving clients to show property. I got the top of the line model and have kept the Onstar feature. For the past few weeks my Stabilitrak and traction control service light is coming on while I am driving then goes off after I pull over and restart the motor. It will not happen again for days. The OnStar monthly service report I receive does not indicate any issues. Any idea what is going on?

Also, my Tahoe constantly has this noise like a CD is spinning... even when the engine is off. The CD player is empty. The noise is getting louder and really irritating. Customers ask me about it all the time. Anyone else having this problem?
    I hope that you have a lot of money available . Once the stealership gets going they really add it up . My brakes failed during a snowstorm --the lines had rotted through , and they got me for over three thousand dollars before I got my vehicle back . If you are not on warranty , you should go to an independent garage ,.
  • 4mykids134mykids13 Member Posts: 1
    Im glad you are ok as well that is very scary. We have a 2005 Chevy Suburban and this must be the weekend for problems. We drove up north to see my parents for New Years. The snow wasn't to bad on the way up about a few inches in 6 hours but it wasn't steady. The service stabilitrak light came on and off a few times, we were braking more than usual but we kept out speed at a maintable level for the conditions. The next day it was fine never came on, today we drove a few miles to the grocery store and it happened again this time went off and on more than 6 times and the truck sounds like it is runing rough. The heat on the drivers side also is blowing cold air yet the rest of the truck is fine, obviously that is not related but just pretty odd. I will be watching this closely and taking the truck in when we get home. Due to NEw Years Im not sure any dealerships are even open tomorrow just hope we make it home safe on Tuesday. Good luck if you figure anythign out in the next few days please post it!
    texcyn,

If you purchased your Tahoe new last year, I would suspect you're still within your bumper to bumper warranty (unless you've exceeded 36,000 miles). Any plans on working with a dealership?

4mykids13,
    We're sorry to hear that you are having these troubles right now - it is a tricky time of year. If you want for us to check dealerships in your area to see if they would be open tomorrow, email us your name, contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN, ZIP code, and a summary of the situation (socialmedia@gm.com).

• wandh112wandh112 Member Posts: 2
    We are having major issues with our stabilitrak and traction control lights going off while driving..sometimes the lights indicate they are turning off; other times it states they need to be serviced. Our vehicle has been seen 3 times since September for this issue and so far we are out of pocket $728.80. It will be seen again for the fourth time in two days. Our service Dept is now saying the alcohol content in the fuel is reading high and we need to use 'good' gas stations.. The stabilitrak and traction control lights went off approximately 12 times yesterday and on several occasions while the indicator lights were going off the vehicle shifted extremely hard from first to second gear.

Ive been onto several forum and have found where others have experienced this same issue... its very apparent the dealerships have no idea how to fix it. Yet customers are forced to pay to 'fix' something only to have this issue come back days to weeks later.

I AM IN COMPLETE FEAR OF MY FAMILY'S SAFETY WHEN DRIVING THIS VEHICLE.
    wandh112,
    Are you already working with Customer Assistance on this? If you would like for us to check into this further, please contact us at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN, and a summary of the situation so far).

Regards,
    the stabilitrack system is a nightmare . that's why I won't buy another Tahoe . They change parts and charge you a lot but don't get it fixed .
  • wandh112wandh112 Member Posts: 2
    Sarah at GM, I am getting the info together today and sending it to the email address you provided. Thank you
  • dwevanskcdwevanskc Member Posts: 2
    We are having the same problem. The system constantly switches between stabilitrack n and off, with a hard shift between 1 and 2 when it goes off. This is one of many issues we have experienced with this vehicle and the dealer repair shops are worthless and not trustworthy. How is your oil between changes? Was burning close to two quarts every 3000. Dealer said this was common in this engine. Maybe time to go to a overseas make.
  • chousleychousley Member Posts: 3
    Apologies in advance for the long post.

Here's the next phase in my story on the Stabilitrak experience:

The morning after my last post, I jumped the Suburban with no issues and the car seemed to run fine again. Then on Christmas Eve we were on our way home from a short trip (5 miles) when the engine started to make a clattering sound and the Stabilitrak warning message came on. We parked the car as soon as we got home and didn't drive it again until two days later when I drove it straight to my mechanic's shop (still making the same clattering sound).

I work with a local, independent mechanic and I trust him a lot. When I pulled up to his shop, he heard the engine and said "That's not a good sound." He recognized the sound of bad lifters...maybe because he had seen two Suburbans (2007 and 2008 models) the same week with the same problem. Come to find out, Chevy has redesigned the lifters on my engine model 4 times since I bought my Suburban and they've also redesigned a portion of the oil intake from the oilpan. The issues associated with those two fixes will generally manifest themselves in excessive oil consumption (sound familiar anyone?) and rough running engines due to cylinders "dying".

Unfortunately, my mechanic confirmed pretty quickly that I had standing oil in places I shouldn't (so I needed the redesigned oil intake baffle) and I had a bad cylinder (so I likely needed the redesigned lifters). He was pretty certain it was "just" a bad lifter, but said he wouldn't know exactly what was wrong until he got into the engine.

After getting a $3,500 estimate for fixing both problems (included replacing all the lifters and some other maintenance-related stuff you wouldn't ordinarily do unless you're tearing your engine apart anyway), we investigated with a dealer and found that we were getting a pretty good deal. We told our mechanic to go ahead and do the work. He called me yesterday, after getting everything pulled apart and confirmed that the lifter on one cylinder was completely collapsed and was the root cause of the engine noise. He is also fairly certain it's been bad for a while and is the root cause of our Stabilitrak warnings. We should have the car back tomorrow and I'll get a full report from the mechanic on anything else he noticed. Hopefully this will be the end of our Stabilitrak woes!

When I originally asked him about the Stabilitrak warning messages my mechanic told me those were just the way the computer manifested any number of issues and that any competent dealership could read the diagnostic codes from your car's black box, do a little investigation, and quickly determine the root cause(s) of the Stabilitrak engine warnings and related engine behavior.

My advice to anyone experiencing Stabilitrak issues is to be an active consumer...read the forums and do your research to best determine what might be wrong with your car. Then find a mechanic (either independent or at a dealer) with whom you are comfortable and have them read the diagnostic codes from your engine. If you're going to a dealer, you will have to get past the receptionist and the order takers before you can talk to someone who works in the shop and will be able to talk to you intelligently about your car and it's issues. Be persistent. If you can't talk to the person reading the codes and doing the work on your car, go somewhere else. Everyone should have a mechanic they trust; if you don't, it's time to get one and this provides you an opportunity to do so. Invest some time in finding the right mechanic and it will pay off in $ and in the satisfaction of knowing someone competent is maintaining what is likely one of your biggest investments...your car.
    dwevanskc,
    If you would like for us to do any follow up on the visit you made to your dealership, please contact us via email with further information (including your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a brief summary of the situation).

No oil burning issues thus far . Your dealer tho , sounds like he is full of beans . No good engine should be burning oil like that . Seen an independent mechanic ? They are much cheaper .
    So the throttle body was replaced costing about $400 (after the "discount"). It has not given me any problems since October--KNOCK ON WOOD.

After reading the many posts here, I had some similar issues with other systems: (1) my tire pressure light is constantly on and won't measure the pressure in the front left wheel (2) The a/c was only working sporadically on long trips - would blow warm air after about 1 hour of driving (3) back right window works on and off right around this time. All of these items are things that have been reported by other tahoe/yukon owners before stabilitrak system went out.

My new question to the group is (1) has anyone gotten anything out of communicating their concerns with GM Customer Service (i.e. "Sarah")?? I've heard NOTHING. (2) Has anyone taken any legal action against GM related to the stabilitrak system failures??

It seems to me that GM is being negligent by failing to launch a recall on whatever is causing the stabilitrak system to fail. My concern is that something bad may happen soon and am disgusted that nothing has been done by the manufacturer to prevent. It may take all of us banding together (similar to Toyota Prius acceleration problem) to take legal action before someone takes notice and does something.

Thanks and be safe out there...m
  • bgjohntxbgjohntx Member Posts: 1
    Does GM, i.e Sarah, have anything to say other than "Have you contacted a GM dealer?" Seems as though plenty of folks have done that but without any great results or even good results. I have this problem, and had my two grandbabies in my 2007 Tahoe when it happened. Diagnostics can't find anything wrong! What are you going to do about it GM?????
    Well ? Sarah GM , are you there ? Do you have an answer about why GM is not ordering a recall ? Do we just have to dump these vehicles & buy Fords or Korean , ETC. ????? Come on Sarah , give us some answers !!!
    Hello bgjohntx,

From a Customer Service standpoint, the main thing we're able to do is to collaborate with the dealership to see what the diagnosis is, follow up to see if a solution was found, and try to ensure your satisfaction with the experience. Additionally, I have documented this thread for further review by my supervisors.

I wish I personally could do more for everybody on this thread, but as I'm not technically trained and as I have limited resources to work with, I'm afraid that this is the extent of my abilities.