Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Mazda CX-7

Chuckles37Chuckles37 Member Posts: 16
edited August 2014 in Mazda
I wanted to start a thread on the 2010 models. I just saw one at a local dealer and the Sport version has a 2.3L non-turbo engine rated at 20/23/28 mpg and around 160 HP and torque, which is a step up mileage and step down in power from the turbo models.

Only thing that looks different from the 09's is the front lower bumper has a bigger opening for air flow (a big smile) and corresponding larger inserts for the foglight (not standard on the Sport).

Base price with destination is 23090. The two options items were 200 for white pearl mica paint and 1750 for a convenience package consisting of power driver seat, heated front seats, moonroof, auto climate control, back up camera. That totals 25040.

Dealer had no brochures and the Mazda USA website has nothing on the 2010 model lineup and features. KBB and Edmunds have no pricing.

Anyone have any additional info?

Comments

• sevenseassevenseas Member Posts: 44
  • vm2998282vm2998282 Member Posts: 5
    I like the blind spot feature that alerts you when a car is in your blind spot. This can really help new drivers.
  • cx7drivercx7driver Member Posts: 2
    Interested in hearing feedback on the 2010 version. I have a 2008 and have the itch to trade for a Stormy Blue 2010 model. Hope I get over it! :surprise:
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    Where the 2010 really shines in on the interior. Virtually the whole interior has been revamped with higher quality materials including the dash board, door panels, center console and center stack. The door panels all have nice padded and soft touch materials. The dash is still plastic, but a much much nicer design and looks much nicer. The center stack now fits the dash much better. The seat leather is softer. The steering wheel looks more like it belongs on the car.

I'm highly impressed with the 2010. My wife really wants one. She has wanted a CX-7 since it came out, but, I personally felt Mazda could have done a better job with it. Now what we have is what Mazda should have been done from day one. I really like it.
  • zoom08zoom08 Member Posts: 75
    I own a CX-7 GT AWD, trust me when I tell you, go for the turbo.
    The car is fun to drive, I cannot imagine why you dont want the turbo version.
    I have 30K, bought it in Dec 2007 as a 08 model, I can tell you I drive from NYC to Florida and it is pure joy when I push my car to over 85MPH in the highway.
    My wife has a CRV and yes it is a reliable car with all the basic you need but the engine sucks!!!!!
    If you are getting the 4 cylinder engine go for the CRV is a better buy, the gas mileage is over 23.5 MPG for an AWD vehicle. The Honda CRV is a better family car, the CX7 is just a fun ride if you dont have little ones to worry about as the back seat can be cramped.
  • maavalousmaavalous Member Posts: 17
    Just put my 1,000th mile on a new 2010 CX-7 GT FWD. WOW!!
    They have made a thousand subtle, and cool, changes. As noted, the interior upgrade on the GT puts it in league with the Acura/Infiniti/etc. crowd. Materials aren't quite as plush... yet... but they have made HUGE improvements in the cabin.
    Bluetooth that actually works when driving at 80 mph on a blacktop road... even Lexus didn't handle that test.
    The exterior refresh and the unique 19' wheels on the GT rock!!

As you may see from my other posts... DO NOT get the CX-7 in AWD at this time. Until they make some design changes... the AWD system is nothing but bad news.

We'll see how this 2010 FWD holds up... but Zoom Zoom so far :)
  • mf15mf15 Member Posts: 158
    Zoom: Since you have an 2010 do the doors auto lock at some speed,cant seem
    to find that listed on the Mazda site.
    Thanks
    Old Mike
  • fitzcarraldofitzcarraldo Member Posts: 2
    Maavalous: I just picked up a 2010 CX-7 Sport Fwd and after reading the manual it appears that the auto-lock feature is provided as an option or possibly included with Touring models. You can set the auto-lock to five different modes. I don't have this feature on the Sport model. Hope this helps.
    Marty
  • socalgal24socalgal24 Member Posts: 3
    Wanted to put in my 2 cents...

I also have about 1k miles on my CX-7 Sport (bought in early Nov) and I love it. Like everyone else said, the interior styling looks very luxury. With all other features (MPG, price) considered, I was also looking at the Nissan Rogue, but the Mazda interior won hands down.

The avg and current mpg display is excellent. For my budget I couldn't afford anything more than the Sport trim, but the Sport still has basic luxuries like bluetooth, leather wrapped steering wheel/shift knob, and the previously mentioned mpg/maintenance displays. I also LOVE the Cargo Area Rear Seatback Release Levers (as they call them on the Mazda website). Instead of having to open the passenger doors and release the seats on the top you just open the trunk and pull the lever. So convenient! Didn't spring for the AWD, but from the previous poster it sounds like the AWDs have problems?

It's a great crossover, and Zoom-Zoom indeed!
  • svofan2svofan2 Member Posts: 442
    ...please explain why you think that the AWD is not that good in the CX&?.....you seem to to really like the CX7 in general except when it comes to AWD..I will be very interested in knowing your reasoning since I am not decided yet if I will get a CX& or 9 but AWD...thanks...
  • cx7lovercx7lover Member Posts: 90
    The AWD is fine, he and one other person had some issues but I have AWD with no problems and this is the same for most others with AWD.
  • andyinatlandyinatl Member Posts: 2
    Just got a 2010 CX-7 i SV, which is the base model. Would've gotten the Sport, but after comparing the features, decided it wasn't worth the difference in price.
    One thing that surprised me the most is the engine. On the paper it seems slow, and almost 20HP less than Toyota RAV4, but in real life, this thing doesn't feel slow at all. I dont' have any issues taking off from stop, or passing cars on highway at all. I traded in 2000 Passat V6 for this cuv, and this cuv feels just as powerful, and just as planted on the road as my Passat did. It handles like it's on rails.
    Another thing is, the interior is sooo much better than 09 model...
  • howd2010howd2010 Member Posts: 2
    Any feedback of current drivers of the 2010 CX-7 with the 2.5L engine would be helpful. I love the car, but am concerned that the mileage estimates are for driving like a granny on a Sunday morning. I noticed that the instant mileage meter was around 24 with cruise set at 75mph. Looked down and the tach read just under 3000rpm. That seems like the little four-banger is working pretty hard to keep the car going that fast. Lowered my speed by 5mph and gained 2mpg. Can any one else give feedback on this? What instant mileage are you getting at what speed and at what rpm? Thanks!
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    With DFI you'd be seeing something more in the range of 30mpg at 75MPH.
  • howd2010howd2010 Member Posts: 2
    That may be true, but here's what you do get (on the "i" version):

Engine type: 2.5-liter DOHC 16-valve 4-cylinder with VVT
    Horsepower: 161 hp @ 6000 rpm
    Torque (lb-ft): 161 lb-ft @ 3500 rpm
    Redline: 6500 rpm
    Displacement (cc): 2488
    Bore x stroke (mm): 89 x 100
    Compression ratio: 9.7:1
    Fuel system: Electronically-controlled multi-port fuel injection
    Recommended fuel: Regular unleaded
    Valvetrain: 4 valves per cylinder with variable intake valve timing (VVT)
    Engine block: Aluminum-alloy
    Cylinder head: Aluminum-alloy
    Fuel Economy: Front-wheel drive (city/hwy) 20/28

The 2.3L has "Direct-Injection Spark Ignition (DISI)" and I'm not sure if that is Mazda's version of DFI. However, the turbo kills the MPG on the "s" version.

So, if it's not offered...

In the end, it is the "i" version that I am interested in getting drivers feedback.
  • ddmtbddmtb Member Posts: 2
    I was looking at a 2009 GT FWD used CX-7. The owner kept the window sticker and it showed a mpg rating of 17/23. While the 2010 2.4l turbo fwd rating is 18/25. Curious as to why the difference?
    The severe detuning/derating of the 2009 and earlier 2.3L turbo engines provided a LOT of room for improvement. All they had to do was reduce the rate at which boost began to rise, keep the turbo wastegate open a bit longer into the "POWER" throttle region.

With a fairly simple modification to the engine, techniques(***) already in modern day use, the 2.3L turbo engine could easily reach, and probably exceed (30MPG..??), the hwy FE of the NA 2.5L.

*** The latest Toyota HSD (Hybrid Synergy Drive) version uses a multi-mode engine technique, Otto mode, 13:1 compression ratio, for light engine loading, hwy cruising, and transitions into Atkinson cycle mode, 10:1 compression ratio, for POWER/Boost throttle openings.
  • fonefixerfonefixer Member Posts: 247
    Driving a 2007 CX-7 turbo AWD w/ 55,000 miles. Requires premium fuel. Currently getting about 20 mpg in city driving. Best ever received on the road about 24 mpg. Mix of city/hwy. about 22 mpg. Running about 2400 RPM at 75 mph. Engine does not seem to work hard even at 90 mph. Considering this is a 4,000 lb vehicle w/ AWD, can't really complain about the performance/fuel mileage. w/turbo. Been a good vehicle, besides maintenance, only needed a battery/new tires at this point.
    Only real complaints would be the interior plastics-(sounds like the 2010 has some needed upgrades) and a little more legroom in back would be nice.

Change oil about 3,000 miles--transmission fluid/transfer case every 20,000. Remember, most motorists don't understand that fluids need to be changed BEFORE they get real dirty. Preventative maintenance is quite inexpensive compared to the alternative.

Would be interesting to compare performance of the naturally aspirated 2010 model compared to the turbo. Has anyone driven both?
    "..most motorists..."

If my ATF in my transaxle and PTO were dirty, or burned, enough to warrant changing even at 100,000 miles then I would expect something to be VERY wrong inside there.
  • nace818nace818 Member Posts: 140
    I have the same vehicle as you. I get about the same mileage, although I had hoped it would be better. My problem right now is a shaking in the steering wheel starting at about 75 mph. I had the wheels rotated and balanced, but it did not fix the problem. Could warped brake discs cause this? I bought the vehicle used so I don't know much about how it was maintained. It only has 25k miles on it.
    Besides rotation/balancing--would look at warped rotors. Would make sure the balancing was done correctly before going any further.
    You let your transmission fluid go 100,000 miles, I'll change every 20, lets then take them both apart and compare wear/tear. I'll bet you will need a rebuild-- mine should last the life of the vehicle. Just a guess.
  • nace818nace818 Member Posts: 140
    yes I agree, I'm going back to the same shop tomorrow. Of course they will say the balance is correct.
    If you had loose front end parts--it should "shake" at speeds less than 70 mph, especially when braking/cornering. Warped rotors should only cause vibration when braking--not steady driving--have the balance checked again!
  • jfischer1jfischer1 Member Posts: 2
    I haven't gone through everyone's posts on these forums, but I have a question regarding the 2010 Mazda CX7, and I hope someone can answer my question. I test drove a 2010 CX7 Grand Touring today, and I was curious, when it comes to the Sirius Radio, does it display the artist and song somewhere of what's exactly playing? Unfortunately, the salesman wasn't too sure. So hopefully someone can help! Thanks!
  • caliche67caliche67 Member Posts: 27
    Yes, it does. You will see it in the Audio view of the GPS system (by depressing the INFO button on the steering wheel to scroll to the Audio view), and on the Audio screen next to the GPS display by hitting the Display and TEXT/ESN button on the Audio controls on the dash.
  • caliche67caliche67 Member Posts: 27
    I recently purchased a 2010 CX-7 GT AWD. Does anyone know if you can chose to turn the Navigation Display to the OFF position when you do not want to use it? I traded a 2008 CX-T GT AWD for this one, and I also still have a 2008 CX-9 GT AWD. The two 2008s (CX-7 & CX-9) have a "Display On/Off" option that allows for you to turn off/on the Nav display at your own leisure, but it seems that in the 2010 CX-7 the display is always ON as long as the car is running or the ignition switch is ON. Any tips? I've researched the manual but nothing. Sometimes when it is really dark outside you may just want to turn the display off (I know you can dim it too) to avoid the bright glare on your eyes. Thanks!
    I keep the gps/nav DVD door "open" in my '01 F/awd RX300 and that does the job.
  • phillygirlphillygirl Member Posts: 2
    HELP! Does anyone know how to sync the contact list from an iPhone4 to a 2010 Mazda CX7 handsfree bluetooth?? The bluetooth isn't showing up in the navigation system menu. :confuse:
  • connecticut2connecticut2 Member Posts: 41
    Hi..I live in Connecticut and was wondering if anyone has had a chance to drive the CX-7 on the snow? How did it handle?

Thanks..
    Driving a cx-7 since October-2006 (AWD) with standard 18" all season tires in Minnesota weather. Absolutely no complaints about winter handling. Only stuck once--right in the bottom of my driveway after the plow went by and I tried to crash through. Got hung up underneath and once it was shoveled out--had no problems the rest of the winter.
  • connecticut2connecticut2 Member Posts: 41
    Sorry, I should have mentioned I was looking for the FWD experience in the snow, not AWD..

Thanks...
This discussion has been closed.