Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Trooper running loud/rough after timing belt change

tacktack Member Posts: 1
edited July 2014 in Isuzu
Had my timing belt and water pump replaced last week, 2001 Trooper 4WD Auto. Routine maintenance, everything was as normal as can be for a truck with 99,000 miles on it. Got the truck back and it sounds different. Running louder, rougher with an almost hollow tone that's difficult to describe. I noticed it was dripping fluid in the driveway other than the usual AC condensation. Took it in and they said I needed a new clamp on my transmission cooling line and it was leaking tranny fluid. Didn't charge me but also didn't top off tranny fluid. Leak stopped but I've still got this crappy sounding engine that they claim sounds normal. I noticed a shimmy driving home in the heat of the afternoon yesterday. Was detectable @ 50 mph and obvious around 60-70. Got it up to 80 mph this morning on the way in to work and it didn't happen. There's also a squeak/belt noise every morning when I start it up that goes away after it's been running a while.

Any ideas? Is it possible the belt's too tight/timing is off?

Comments

• agoicuriaagoicuria Member Posts: 2
    possible cause: timing belt tensioner failure (if it wasn't replaced with the timing belt)
  • kayreenkayreen Member Posts: 6
    Had my timing belt changed last week, full kit. Coming back from the farm today on the main road the car just stopped, no steering no brakes!! very scary if I had been on a motorway major accident. Turned key and it restarted and carried on. Any ideas? could it be related to the timing belt perhaps needing tensioned?
    Had my timing belt changed last week, full kit. Coming back from the farm today on the main road the car just stopped, no steering no brakes!! very scary if I had been on a motorway major accident. Turned key and it restarted and carried on. Any ideas? could it be related to the timing belt perhaps needing tensioned? Husband just came in and said he had been in the dashboard instrument panel to get to the timing belt light last night could there be something in there that has been disturbed? Help!!
  • syang001syang001 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I am new on here and i've been having problems with my 97 trooper auto. When i purchased the car there was a minimal squeal when i started the engine and then it'll quiet down after 20 seconds or so. Now, it has gotten worst than before and it squeals really loudly and even sometimes while i'm driving the car. My dad change the belts and it didn't help. They also took apart the fan and fan pulley (i think that's what it's called) and replaced it and it still squealed. Could it be the alternator?? I'm so frustrated with this problem. Can someone help me out with what could possibly be the problem?
    Hi my trooper had a squeal also, try putting on the heated rear window or headlights ( a high load device) see if the squealing gets worse. If it does you may have narrowed it down to the alternator or the fan belt not being tight enough. I had my fan belt replaced and was surprised at how tight it had to go on.
    Worth a try?
    Kayreen
This discussion has been closed.