Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Equinox Downshift Problems

2»

Comments

• wallyuwlwallyuwl Member Posts: 166
    I don't have a problem with people contacting me. If people don't want to contact me for whatever reason, that is fine. If their dealer is a good one they should still be able to get the fix (though maybe not for a little while - unsure when GM will put something out to dealers on this). The engineer went way out of his way to try and understand and resolve my problem, and while it wasn't explicitly said to not "spread the word", I don't believe I should. From what he said to me about the reasons for them possibly not making it a full-blown bulletin, I do not believe I should spread it around. So I believe the most ethical thing I can do for both the engineer, GM, and those who have symptomatic vehicles is to offer to help those who explicitly contact me regarding their symptomatic vehicle. It is a trust thing, I'm sure you can understand that.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    It is a trust thing.

And that is why I wonder why you brought it up in the first place. When one raises an issue in a public Forum I think one should endeavor to keep the conversation in that Forum rather than inviting people to take the discussion off line which tends to defeat the purpose of a Forum. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • ragtop262ragtop262 Member Posts: 58
    Glad to hear you got your issue resolved. (I knew you would, as indicated in my earleir post.)

This was the only significant issue I've heard about with the '10 Equinox. Now that it's fixed, it seems that the early results are very good.

Now that you've changed your mind about your earlier comments about not buying this vehicle, its too bad you can't Re-name this thread to something more appropriate ;)
  • wallyuwlwallyuwl Member Posts: 166
    Yeah, this seems like the major issue people have had so far. There are some complaints about a problem here or there unique to a specific vehicle, which happens with every model. Nothing else systemic so far.

Although I wouldnt' say the issue is "fixed" (a few tweaks to the cal would still help, though I'm more picky than most), the driving characteristics of the vehicle are much better with this new cal. Also knowing what GM did to further understand and resolve the complaint once the "right people" knew also counts for something.

Wish the title could be changed. Oh well.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    We can do that. :)

If you have a better suggestion than ours, just yell.
  • 10lt210lt2 Member Posts: 18
    My 10 2LT with the 4cylinder was produced the week of October 19th. The transmission shifting is very good. No problems to report.
  • wingrootwingroot Member Posts: 43
    I just put in an order for a 2LT 6 cyl....You guys are scaring the hell out of me?
  • ktreecektreece Member Posts: 6
    I have been having problems with my transmission since the day I drove it off the lot. My tranny shifts rough between 30 and 40mph (third gear). All other gears seem to be shifting fine. I will forward my vin tomorrow. Took it to the dealer they said they installed a software upgrade. Helped for about 2 weks then it returned.
  • spny10024spny10024 Member Posts: 1
    hi,
    ive owned my equinox for about 8 months. since driving off the lot, every two months the tire pressure light would go on, warning me about the back left tire. the first time, i manually checked the pressure of that tire and it was, in fact, low, so i pumped it. the second time, i went to a dealer to check the tire out, and while again, the pressure of that tire was low, they said it was not damaged. the third time, i brought it to a different dealer, who also said it was not damaged but low pressure, and rotated the tires. so now i had a different tire in that back left position. a few days ago, for the 4th time, that same back left tire has low pressure -- and this time it is a different tire (post-rotation). any ideas???
    thanks!
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Do you have aluminum wheels - could be a porous spot on it leaking, a bad fit with the tire bead, or a bent rim.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Did they reprogram the sensors to read correctly? Didn't on wifes Caddy and right rear was low but each time I checked it all was well. Finally read so low it sat off the alarm as it was 10lbs. low. Dealer figured out they didn"t program the tires to their new positions and I made them replace it do to the 3+ months of low pressure.
  • colt_herocolt_hero Member Posts: 107
    Wingroot:

How long did it take to get your V6 Equinox (from the day you placed the order to actual delivery)? GM just announced that "Holiday Savings" deal (0%, plus $1500 rebate) and it runs through Jan 3rd. I'd like to take advantage of it - ideally with the exact vehicle I want, but there's probably not enough time for that, right? Doesn't it take about 8 weeks? And you only get whatever rebate deal is in place (if any) when the vehicle arrives, right? Isn't that how it works?

I've searched all over and I can't find an LT1 V6 equipped the way I want it. I'm starting to think it doesn't even exist. Making things worse, there just aren't many V6's out there! I'd say the ratio is something like 100:1 in favor of the 4-cylinder model. All I really want for options is Cargo Management and the Camera. Do you know if you can ORDER an option separately that is normally only sold as part of a package? For 2011, the Camera was included in the new "Driver Convenience Package", along with the power seat and remote start. I never buy a power seat due to the height difference between my wife and I, and I don't really care about the remote start feature. But I can see how the camera might be very useful if not necessary on these vehicles, so I'd like to have it. If I could order the Camera separately, that would be another reason to place an order (even if I don't get any of the rebate deals when the vehicle finally arrives).

Also, there is the possibility that GM runs the Owner Loyalty rebate in the January / February timeframe. It seems like they've been doing that steadily for the past several years now...
  • colt_herocolt_hero Member Posts: 107
    Wingroot:

And when you special order, what kind of price can I expect to pay? Do you just pay MSRP less any rebate? Do you get out of paying the "advertising fee" and/or "doc fee", or do they still hit you for those? The advertising fee is the one they use to bump up the Edmunds invoice number on the front-end. The doc fee, of course, is the bomb they drop on you on the back-end.
  • cash726cash726 Member Posts: 2
    Sorry to tell you my 2005 does the same thing and they will not do anythong to help.
  • cash726cash726 Member Posts: 2
    we all need to come together and fail a complaint and see what we can get done because the people at chevrolet does not care about their coustomers.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Cash726,
    Can you please email me with your VIN and concerns?
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • cat317cat317 Member Posts: 3
    edited April 2011
    After MANY days in the shop, GM today will be providing me with a full loan refund after determining that my BRAND NEW (and beautiful I might add) 2011 CHEVY EQUINOX had officially been deemed a "lemon". I purchased it in October, and it broke down on the highway day 13 of ownership.
    Even worst, it was in the shop for 45 days on and off again with multiple problems. To add insult to injury, proper customer service was not provided by dealer and no rep from GM or Chevy ever called to check in or lend support during what has been one of the MOST frustrating and disappointing months. Will no be buying another GM product until they get things sorted out and understand what customer support really is.
    My recommendation to all is to avoid the frustration. No one wants to pay $25,000 for a brand new LEMON...
    cat317,
    I truly apologize for your experience with this vehicle. If you need anything or have any questions comments or concerns please feel free to email me directly.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • lhebert1lhebert1 Member Posts: 1
    Mine does the same exact thing... ALWAYS the back left tire. What is the deal?? I was wondering if something was wrong with the sensor, or something wrong with rim. I've had my over a year now and it's driving me nuts.
    lhebert1,

Have you had the chance to take your vehicle in to your local dealership to be diagnosed? Please keep me posted.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • jonoxjonox Member Posts: 100
    I had a similar problem which was finally traced to a nail in the tire. You might want to have the wheel removed and tire checked carefully.
  • rachameliarachamelia Member Posts: 1
    I bought my car on 11/29/10. Since then, it has been in the shop many times for the same issues. I know there has been alot of discussions on here about Equinox problems, I am just trying to narrow it down to see if any one else has had the troubles I have...

- It shifts so hard that I have to check to make sure no one has hit me from behind. It is awful. It was very random when it first started shifting this way, only doing it every few days or so. Now? Every single time I drive it.

- It picks and chooses when it wants to accelerate. This is a fairly new issue, but is quickly getting worse. Much like the shifting problem listed above. Today it actually left me stranded for a moment in the middle of an intersection with cars coming at me full speed. Real safe, huh?

I am very frustrated. This car is brand new. When I take it to the dealer, I am told "that's just how they shift". It is going back today for the accl. issue, so who knows what they will say.

Can anyone tell me anything?

Thank you for your help!!
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Most states allow a year to use the lemon law. Check your state out and get going before the year is up.
  • cdkfcdkf Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2010 equinox that I bought new. Before it turned 500 miles, the number one selenoid went out. I was complete devastated!. That was only the beginning to all my problems. It has been back in the shop three other times to check down shifting problems and shifting hard, could have many more times, but what is the use if that can't find and fix the problems. When driving down the street, out of the blue, with foot on eccelerator, it feels like it is in neutral and then all of a sudden it catches and jerks really hard. It feels like it did when the selenoid went out. I call OnStar, who told us what happened when the tranny problems occurred, but they only suggested a program update. Take it into the dealership and they tell me there isn't an update. Also, when I come up to a stop light, I have to put my car in neutral and keep foot on accelerator to keep car from going dead. Take in in to shop, they say nothing is wrong.

The shop guy I use looks at me like I am making all these problems up! I told him to come on this site and read the thousands of people that are experiencing the same problems and then tell me I am making them up.

I am glad that you are having a wonderful experience with yours, but don't criticize those who are frustrated and truly upset for spending thousands of hard earned dollars on a new car, to be strapped with a lemon. In my case, this is the first new car I have owned in 17 years, and to have this happen, is beyond hard to except.

We as tax payers, deserve more from a car company that we bailed out of a hole. They could at least thank us by fixing the problems that they know exist and know how to fix them. It is just easier to ignore them once they have your money!
    I’m sorry that your experience with your Equinox and with your GM Dealership has not been positive. Please send Christina an email with your name, VIN, contact information, and involved dealers name so we can follow up with you.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • mrhull7mrhull7 Member Posts: 1
    Chevy Equinox - 2010

Purchased BRAND NEW!

Though, it does have 61,500 Miles already (I drive tons)

Issues is as follows:

1. Shifting has become a MAJOR problem (automatic). As I accelerate, the RPM increases, the car decides to think while around 2-3 RPM; as it has ended its thoughts, the car accelerates. Unsure why it has started to do this, I am extremely puzzled, as it does not seem right...

2. The car decided to show its CHECK ENGINE light at least twice in the past two weeks. Usually stays on for a day or so and then it vanishes.

3. The CHECK STABILITY TRACK came on about a week ago and said it should be checked, but has not come up again; should I be worried?

4. I had ON-STAR diagnose remotely my check engine light once and they told me that something with the fuel gauge is not working; either to little or to much fuel is being fed through; can this be right?

Any and all help would be great!

DJH
  • jonoxjonox Member Posts: 100
    Suggest you read the 2010 and 2011 Equinox Problem threads on this site.
  • farmeremilyfarmeremily Member Posts: 1
    Ughhhh So we bought our 2010 4 cyl Equinox LS this last summer following the end of our beautiful 2003 Grand Prix GT who made it to an impressive 284,000 miles.

We wanted good mileage with enough room for all our extra stuff. I drive a lot (35,000+ miles per year) for work. Well here we go, as I read all everyone's posts here our stuff is unraveling. I have the same issue with the low tire pressure in the rear tire. Which I will be addressing with our Dealership! We have already had the drive belt stretch and has been replaced. Now over the last week or so I have noticed a slight thump when parked or idling. Tonight when coming to a stop light my Nox gave me three hard (vehicle moving) thumps. I put her in park right away and she died. I started her right up and seemed to be ok the rest of the ride home.
    I need to know how to fix this!!!!! It sounds just like what I am reading above and this vehicle needs to last us for a very long time. :)
  • librarylibrary Member Posts: 7
    Hello, just bought 2 months ago a Equinox2010 and has this same problem! Please give me the information I need to take to the GM Dealer about the Tranny to get this fixed... Thank you so much!
    edited August 2012
    Another GM Dealer had my Equinox all day today and said there was a TCM update ALSO which the 1stGMDealer should have done when they did the PCM update. Remember now I took my Equinox BACK to that dealer with complaints and they said there was NOTHING they could do! I questioned today at this different dealership about the change in my mpg and what they would do about that. The reply: well hot weather and getting gas at different gas stations can make that difference!! Really...2.6 miles difference from BEFORE the PCM update on the pinging? Don't buy into that sir! So 2 down and 1 MORE to go before 2500 miles and my 36,000 mile warranty will be expired.. Help....thank you..
    I questioned today at a different dealership about the change in my mpg and what they would do about that after the ECM update at another dealer was done. The reply: well hot weather and getting gas at different gas stations can make that difference!! Really...2.6 miles difference from BEFORE the PCM update on the pinging? Don't buy into that sir! So 2 down and 1 MORE to go before 2500 miles and my 36,000 mile warranty will be expired.. Help if you've had a increase in your fuel economy on a Equinox 2010.........thank you..
  • buck_hunterbuck_hunter Member Posts: 2
    Good morning Christina,

I am have a lot of the same issues as other customers are stating. I purchased a 2010 Equinox in July 2012. Since then, I had the transmission rebuilt, computer work down, and belts replaced - all to fix several problems. Problem is, I am still experiencing these same problems. I live in Wisconsin and my Equinox is currently in the shop trying to determine what is going on. It has been in the shop off and on for over 30 days now. I have had great customer service with the Chevy dealership. Can you please reach out to me to discuss. Thank you.
    buck_hunter,
    We would be happy to check into this situation further with you. Please contact us via email at socialmedia@gm.com with more details (including your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN, and a summary of the situation as it stands today).
    Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • buck_hunterbuck_hunter Member Posts: 2
    Hello Sarah,

I sent you an email early last week and I have not received an acknowledgement yet. I wanted to make sure I sent it to the correct address. Thank you.
    Good for you that a GM person has commented on this post and wants to HELP!
  • equinoxdvrequinoxdvr Member Posts: 2
    Got a 2011 Chevy Equinox with 80k miles on it. Has been having serious issues with Hard Downshifts between 38-45mph. Went to a chevy dealer & paid $1400 to fix the issue only to hear that they only reset the computer but story quickly changed to them replacing valves etc

Issue was fixed until a month & half later. It downshifted hard again while I was on the highway nearly causing me to be in a severe crash. Brought the car in. Without looking at it, service dept said Transmission may have to be replaced.

After doing ALOT of research, this "hard downshifting" has been a popular problem with Chevy Equinox. I am really disappointed that GM has not made this a recall. Someone is going to get killed because of this common issue.

Does anyone have the same issue? Was it fixed? If so, how?