Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi S4 Lease Questions

Comments

• bruins4bruins4 Member Posts: 4
    What would be a good purchase price on a 2013 . .. Moonlight blue/black full leather, automatic, Nav, audi Key, B&O stereo . . . the window sticker shows a technology credit of about $1,600, bringing the MSRP including destination to $54,870. Dealer is quoting me a purchase price of $49,870. Does that seem decent or not??
  • isles1isles1 Member Posts: 119
    Sounds like you did well! Enjoy!!!

What was your final negotiated sales price and effective MF after the MSDs? One or both of those numbers must have been on the low end of things, and perhaps you live in a state with a relatively low sales tax rate.

The end-of-term $350 fee is an Audi Financial Services fee. I do not believe that the dealer has any control over it or the ability to waive it before vehicle return. I would not sweat it.
    edited July 2013
    Seems like a fair purchase price. If no Sport Differential option, be careful of possible resale/trade value consequences, at least to the enthusiast crowd.

And the devil is in the details. Watch for added fees and padding on the quoted interest rate (purchase) and Money Factor (lease).
  • m4mm4m Member Posts: 76
    edited July 2013
    So how much MSD were to get you down to $647/mo!? Wow, with $0 down!
    I hope issues with Engine Light and locking were resolved quickly and no more of those surprices on brand new car!!!

Currently Im working with a dealer on '13 Manual S4 with MSRP of $54,565 and best I could do was $728 (including all fees and 6.5% taxes) for $0 down/36 mo/10k miles.
    IMO, you should be able to do better than that on a '13 at this point.

For your reference, my lease for an ordered S4 P+ delivered in March '13 is:

$722 p/m, MSRP $53,400, sales price $50,562, $500 order deposit as down payment, AudiCare, 36/12K, all DMV fees, AFS acquisition fee and NYS 8.625% sales tax in payment. The $750 lease bonus cash offered in month of delivery dropped the net monthly payment to ~$702 p/m.
  • m4mm4m Member Posts: 76
    Our numbers are very close - you put $500 d/p but you got AudiCare included, my dealer drop payments to $707 with first month payment due at signing, $728 is for "sign and drive" and MSRP $54,565, but any way you're right, I should do a lot better on '13, we'll see
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hey edwawill5. The money factor that you were quoted for the 2014 S4 that you're interested in is way out of whack. It looks like the dealer is marking it up the maximum amount that they are allowed to to pad your deal. Audi Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor for this car is .00112 for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

As you mentioned, there is a $1,000 cash incentive on leases of the 2013 S4 for current BMW owners. Unfortunately, that cash incentive is not available on the 2014 model.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    Hi bruins4. The selling price that you were quoted for this car looks excellent. Just make sure that the dealer that you are working with uses Audi Financial Services' July buy rate lease money factor of .00068 (for top tier customers) to calculate your payment and you're in business.

Another car that I can think of that is fairly similar to the ones that you mentioned is the C350 or C63. I know a number of people who have 4Matic Cs and really like them. Have you looked at Mercedes?

Car_man
    Host
  • jdomasijdomasi Member Posts: 20
    Sorry, as you can imagine I don’t come on these forums that much anymore, lol.

Sale price was right at invoice - I forget exactly, but it matched up to truecar.com (less the marketing fee or whatever they call it on the website).

MF was .00023 (.00068 - (.0005*9)) ~6K that I will get back in 39 months. I actually put it on a CC and got 2% points too :).

Live in NJ so I was happy to negotiate the buy price at invoice too; I have heard of people have a hard time negotiating that low in the NE area.
    whoops forgot to say that tax was .074% in NJ
    Thank you - congratulations on your new car too! My lease is 39m, which helped the payment by $10 or $20 if I remember correctly.

The check engine light was OK I guess - A coolant temp sensor was bad, it was in service for about 2 hours which was fine because my wife wanted to test drive a Q5 anyway (I had some fun with it too). The door on the other hand has not been resolved. The code that the technician got (actuator or something in the driver’s side door) didn’t fix the issue. He told me that he would need it for a few days to open up a technical inquire to Audi's central office - sufficed it to say I haven't had the time...not too bad as it works after a few presses, but annoying nonetheless. The bright side, free car washes!
  • nmosernmoser Member Posts: 6
    Hi CarMan,

I am looking at a Audi S4 2014 with the following options:
    -2014 Audi S4 Premium Plus 6 speed manual
    -Estoril Blue Color
    -MMI Navigation Plus Package

MSRP is $53,120 and I was offered $50,520. I think I should be able to get at invoice which is $49,465. This would be a special order car. Does this sound right or do you not think I can get this at invoice? No risk to the dealer since it is a special order.

Also I am looking to lease this car and wanted to understand the 2014 S4 Money Factor & percent residuals.

What is the current Money Factor and Residual on the 2014 S4 Premium Plus? One dealer told me the S4 2014 MF is .00128. I thought the current MF was actually .00068 but maybe this is only for the 2013's and not the 2014's. Not sure. Also I know the 2013 residuals were 56% on the S4 Prem Plus but heard they were 58% on the 14's but a dealer told me they were only 55%. So the three questions are:

1. What is the real 2014 S4 Lease rate for top tier credit?

2. What is the residual % on the 2014 S4 Premium Plus? (I also understand you can get Audi Care and boost your residual by 1 %)

3. What is the residual value % on the 2014 S4 Prestige? (dealer told me this was only 53%).

My guess are dealers are padding their number here. I called Audi Corporate but they would not tell me the actual numbers.

Thanks!
    edited July 2013
    $500 - $1000 over invoice for an ordered 2014 S4 is fair IMO at this point in time. Do not order the S4 without the PDU - Sport Differential option.

I'll let CarMan address the current Money Factor and residuals for the 2014 S4s because I have not kept pace with the current numbers.

But I can tell you that the .00068 MF is for 2013 S4s, not the 2014s. Residuals differ between Premium Plus and Prestige models, and fluctuate according to lease term and mileage per year. Residuals are set by Audi Financial and can only be changed by the dealer if AudiCare is purchased (increase of 1%). MF is usually slightly higher for lease terms that exceed 36 months. The dealer is able to pad the MF, so you should be insisting on the "Buy Rate" money factor.
    Thanks for the information! Why is it important to get the Sport Differential Option? I have heard this before but did not find out a reason. My plan is to buy back the car in 3 years. I am only going to do a 10k mile/yr 36 month lease. Are you saying I'll have a bigger buyer base in 3 years with the sport differential option?

Thanks
    "Are you saying I'll have a bigger buyer base in 3 years with the sport differential option?"

Short answer: Yes.

You can head over to the S4 B8 forums at Audizine.com for lengthy discussions re: the Sport Differential.
    Thanks! I did read the forum and it looks like the consensus is to definitely get the sport diff! Thanks for the info! I will do this.
  • hoopermdhoopermd Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2013
    I am looking at 2014 S4 P+, Phantom blk, Sport diff, B&O, Nav, Audi connect,19" 5 spoke wheels, with nappa leather, MSRP is $57590, offer is Invoice + 500= $54,600. with audi care, all weather mats and audi guard. MF is 0.00122, Resdiual 58% with audi care. They want $3567 to walk out door, (acquisition fee $695, Doc fee $495? (wont budge), Taxes %1995 , registration fee $287. 12 k miles and $693/ month. I think there is room as the "invoice" is only 6%, please advise.
    If you are a member of certain groups, like Audi Club of North America, you can get your 6% off MSRP that way (must be a member for 6+ months).

$500 over invoice is fair for a 2014 S4. This is a new model year only on dealership lots for less than a month now. If you want to get invoice or under, start tracking down 2013 models.

Doc fee is padding, so you can chalk this up to another $500 over invoice (which is still not terrible) or walk away if dealer will not budge. All other fees you mentioned look legit.

I would not put any significant money down on a lease. $0 down should not be an issue if you have top tier credit.

No one can comment on MF or Residual unless you post the term of your lease.
  • hoopermdhoopermd Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2013
    Thanks for the advice [isles1], the term is 39 months. Always great to hear from someone who is an outsider to the deal.They won't budge on doc fee, but the car is in stock too which is a bonus. Any wiggle room. I have top tier credit. Otherwise I think this is a decent deal.
    It is to the dealer's advantage to move the car off the lot. It's also to your advantage not to wait 3 months for a custom order if this is the setup you want.

I will not pay a doc fee out of principle; but in markets with less competition, the dealer has more leverage. Have you said flat out that the doc fee is a deal breaker? Others will say if you really want the car, what's another $500. It's your call.

With that said, make sure all the other numbers add up by using a lease calculator that you can find online.
  • kmurkmur Member Posts: 36
    your negotiating leverage will depend on how eager they are to get rid of it and how competitive your market area is. I would focus less on what fees they throw in and more on what the overall deal looks like. If they agreed to $1000 under invoice, but then toss in $500 doc fee, you're paying $500 under invoice when including the b.s. charge. Not too bad.
  • bashir1bashir1 Member Posts: 12
    Hi Car Man. I have read your excellent advice so hoping you can help. I am trying to buy or lease my first Audi. Have driven BMW for years but love the feel of the S4. Trying to lease an S4 for below 500 a month. 2013 is fine. Premium plus, stronic, plus B&O and sport differential. Don't care about NAVI and can do multiple sds but dont know how this works.

Live in Ohio and dealers in my area are very rigid basically give you the spiel ahead of time of how they wont bargain, how audit sets lower residuals so you are in good shape at end of lease.

Can you point me in the right direction. Also should I join an audi club? Have heard this might help me with price plus would like to get more info anyway.

Thanks.
    Hi nmoser. I's be surprised if you could get a dealer to order you an S4 at invoice.

Audi Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2014 S4 Premium Plus with 15,000 miles per year are .00112 and 55% for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

The residual value for an S4 Prestige is 2% lower.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi bashir1. If you are in are area where there isn't much competition then it definitely would be in your interest to join one of the organizations that were mentioned in previous posts.

Car_man
    Host
  • bruins4bruins4 Member Posts: 4
    Looking to buy a 2014 S4 that is on the dealer's lot. S-tronic, NAV, sports diff, fine nappa leather, B&Oluf, 19" wheels, audi side assist, cargo mat, floor mats, wheel locks, carbon inlays, alu-optic package. MSRP 59,985. sale price 56,650, or about $300 over invoice. is that good?
    The quoted sales price is quite good, almost too good for a 2014 right now. So what fees is the dealer adding on to the transaction?
    Hi Carman,

Right now the best offer is $900 over invoice on the 2014 S4 Prem Plus but I believe I can get down close to invoice as I have not pushed hard at this point nor have I visited a dealer. This was all email negotiations. Any idea what the residual is on a 10k mile per year 3 yr lease for a 2014 S4? Is it still 55% or is it 58%?

Thanks!
  • flgmanflgman Member Posts: 6
    edited August 2013
    Looking to lease a 2013 S4 that is on the dealer's lot. Phantom black pearl, S-tronic, NAV, sports diff, adaptive damping, fine nappa leather + black/lunar silver, carbon atlas inlays, advanced key, B&Oluf, 19" wheels, wheel locks, alu-optic package. MSRP $58,915. Negotiated final sale price $55,000 and lease is as follows: 36 month, MF = .00050, residual at 15k = 52%, $10,000 down (my choice) all equals a monthly payment of $563.

comes out to $59,445 when i price all the options on a 2014 via audi website. Does the above sound like a good deal?
    No. You should be able to do better re: sales price on a 2013 left over. That sales price is only 6% off MSRP...I'd shoot for 10%.

$10K down on a lease is a terrible decision IMO. With that down payment, your effective monthly payment is almost $900. Depending on your state of residence, use part of the $10K as Multiple Security Deposits (MSD) to reduce the money factor and save on interest and lower the monthly payment.
  • addictcaraddictcar Member Posts: 14
    No!!!!!!!!!!!!! You should be able to do better than that, target $480 a month or less for that kind of down payment with 15,000 miles per year for 36 months.
  • addictcaraddictcar Member Posts: 14
    Target $643 ($50 Off) or less a month then it is okie to seal the deal.
  • staimdstaimd Member Posts: 6
    Just agreed to a new 2014 S4 - Premium plus 6MT, Estoril blue, Nav/MMI, Sports Diff, Side Assist, All weather mats.

MSRP - $54900
    Invoice - $54589
    Price agreed - $54150

36 months, 15k miles
    $8.90 down (couldn't get it to $0 on the computer)
    Residual 55%
    MF 0.0010
    Monthly payment - $748.30

Is that the current top tier money factor? Thoughts on the deal?
    edited August 2013
    The numbers you are posting must be wrong, and/or you are leaving out some details. Without even putting those figures into a lease calculator I can see the numbers do not work.

Confirm MSRP and sales prices.
    Sales tax (and state of residence) in the payment?
    Incentives (i.e. loyalty, conquest)?
    What is due at lease signing?
    Are you being charged any fees other than AFS Acquisition Fee ($695) and title/registration (varies by state)?
    Whoops! Mixed up some of the numbers, sorry about that.

Let's try this again:
    New 2014 S4 - Premium plus 6MT, Estoril blue, Nav/MMI, Sports Diff, Side Assist, All weather mats.

MSRP - $54900
    Invoice - $51589
    Price agreed - $51450

36 months, 15k miles
    $8.90 down (couldn't get it to $0 on the computer)
    Tags/doc fees - $223.65
    Acquisition fee - $695
    No incentives
    State - PA (6% tax)

Residual 55%
    MF 0.0010
    Monthly payment - $748.30

Hopefully that's right. Is 0.0010 the current top tier money factor?

I did some calculations and I will most likely be over 15k miles but not sure if I'll reach 18k. Any thoughts on whether it's better to buy the miles now at $0.15 or halfway through at $0.20 when I'll know better?
    I cannot speak to the MF or residuals for August. The MF does not look padded to me based upon last month's programs. Assuming tax, acquisition fee and tags are all rolled into payment, the numbers add up as far as the monthly payment.

What sticks out here is a 2014 S4 under invoice. Does not seem right to me. I'd expect at least $500 over invoice. So what is the total due at signing? Call me a pessimist, but I'd bet the dealer is adding fees to effectively bump up the negotiated sales price. If I am wrong, you are getting a great deal.
    Total due at signing is $1739.20. That includes first month's payment, doc/tag fee, acquisition fee, and some sort of luxury tax of $62.55.

Are you saying that the acquisition fee and tag fees are already rolled into the monthly payments? So am I paying them twice?
    If doc/tag fee & acquisition fee are due at signing and not in the monthly payment, then the monthly payment is too high. Off by about $25 per month, or $900 over the lease term. So go back and confirm the sales price and that there are no other fees adding to the capitalized cost.

You CAN roll the acquisition fee into the payment. By default, they ask for it at signing. I do not think you can roll the title/registration/tag fee into the payment.

No idea what a Luxury Tax is. Must be a PA thing.
  • rwhitlock1rwhitlock1 Member Posts: 1
    I've spent some quality time reading posts here.. Very knowledgeable people here :)

From a nooby's point of view, what do I need to be armed with when I go into the Audi dealership? I'd love to Lease a 2013 or 2014 S4. Premium Plus with Auto.

I have a trade in that's paid off - should be getting about 4500 for it. I also have some cash if needed - is it needed on a lease?

I'm thinking a 36 month lease with 12k miles. I'm simply looking for the lowest payment, that's why a lease over a purchase.

Any help would be appreciated.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    edited August 2013
    It's probably not luxury tax.... I'm guessing it's tax on upfront CAP cost reductions (of which the acquistion fee counts)...

Also... even though tax in PA is 6%, it's an extra 3% on leases... for a total of 9% (or more, depending on local sales taxes)....

That would just about make up the difference, I think..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Oh that's right, PA does have another 3% on auto leases. So then the monthly payment looks correct then? Going to pick the car up this week. Will likely get Audicare too.

Really appreciate all the help.
    edited August 2013
    I am impressed. A 2014 under invoice. Job well-done. Since it has been on the lot, just check the odometer to make sure they were not using it as their test drive car. If it has been driven more than the normal 10 - 40 miles, just inspect it closely, especially the exterior paint since you are getting a dark color car and a color that is very susceptible to swirl marks...and dealer car washes are notorious for leaving swirl marks. Invest in top quality car care products and avoid all car washes (even hand washes) with Estoril Blue.

If you do not know, AudiCare will bump the residual value on a lease by 1%. Some will say that prepaying for AudiCare is not worth it for manual transmissions. I agree with this, but not when you are adding AudiCare at the same time you enter into the lease. The MSRP for AudiCare is $880, so expect to pay $800 - $850. The true cost is what you pay, less the increase in residual, plus interest over the lease term. So probably about $350. Well worth it IMO.
    Your Invoice should be $50,624. Why is it $54,589 based on your specs? This is not a good deal.
    staimd: Confirm invoice. My comments were based upon the assumption that you verified MSRP, Invoice and Sales Price prior to posting those numbers.
    I mixed up some numbers in my initial post. The numbers are correct (hopefully) in post #490.

Here are the numbers I got off of Truecar:

2014 S4 P+ 6MT - $48,995 MSRP ($46,065 Invoice)
    Estoril Blue Paint - $1,075 ($999)
    Nav/MMI - $3,050 ($2,837)
    Sports Diff - $1,100 ($1,024)
    Side Assist - $500 ($467)
    All weather mats - $180 ($168)

Total: $54,900 MRSP ($51,560 Invoice)

Agreed price: $51,450

What's strange is that Truecar lists the invoice as $51,589, but the components add up to $51,560. Not sure why that is.
    Just checked Edmunds and they have invoice at $45,629 (including destination). Truecar has it at $46,065. Any idea what the difference could be? Regional ad fee? It's a little disconcerting that there are different prices on different sites. I thought I had good info going into negotiations.
    I've found Edmunds to be accurate. Edmunds includes the regional advertising fee in its invoice calculation. I do not have experience with TrueCar, but the advertising fee TrueCar tacks on is almost double Edmunds. I believe Edmunds is correct as far as the advertising fee...which is something along the lines of .5% of MSRP.
  • trinim3trinim3 Member Posts: 1
    I plan on either exchanging my 2012 S4 prior to the end of my lease for a new Audi (Audi keeps calling me to make this happen even though I still have a year left on my lease). Or I plan to coordinate a sale to a 3rd party dealer and get something different. This would be advantageous as my lease buyout is almost $6-$8k below the used car value of my car (in other words I have equity in my car).

My question is:

Should I be concerned about going over the allotted mileage of the lease if I return or sell the car prior to the end of the lease?

Because if not, then I'm going to go on a lot more road trips and I'm going to stop worrying about paying mileage overage charges

Thanks
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    If you mile up the car, it will hurt the trade-in value.. If you are at 3 years old and your car has 55K miles, and the other models being turned in are at 30K-45K, your car will suffer, in comparison.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• moorech1moorech1 Member Posts: 3
    Car Man, can you give residuals, money factor for 2014 S4 Prem Plus - 12k miles - please. Thanks.
  • bashir1bashir1 Member Posts: 12
    Car Man - I could really use your assistance. I am trying to lease a 2014 A4 with Premium Plus sport package, and B&O. I don't own a lease a current Lexus, MB or BMW but i just traded a Lexus last month for another car. Don't know if this will still qualify me for conquest $$. Trying to get to low 400s for 36 months 12k per year. willing to put some cash down - approx 2 to 3k. Thoughts?
This discussion has been closed.