Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Spider Hunting - Alfa Romeos and the fools who want one

2»

Comments

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,072
    In other words, few cars are worthy. Restoration costs will only rise with time, meaning fewer will be restored.

The Wheeler Dealers note is a good one. They don't make much profitt, and labor/parts hunting time is not included. I suspect if Edd billed his labor at even 10 quid/hour, they'd always come out upside down.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    You're going to need more motivation that having it make sense financially, that's for sure.

With cars of limited numbers, like an early Alfa Spider Veloce, you could justify it as historical preservation; also you could vintage race the thing, and get "payback" that way. That's a lot more fun that sitting in a lawn chair with 25 other Chevelles.

Or you might have an emotional attachment---the car you dated your wife with; or maybe you loved the movie "The Graduate" and it changed your life and you want to make a statement about that by restoring one of those Alfa boat tails.

So people will still do restorations but they're already thinking a lot more soberly than they did in the boom-boom 90s.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,072
    In the future, with the way the socio-economic spectrum is devolving, there will be less with the desire and ability to handle those restoration costs too.

Made me think...I bet I could make my fintail one of the best for no more than 30K...good investment, eh? :shades:
  • hamobubbahamobubba Member Posts: 3
    alfa spider is a beautiful car