Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Noise and Quality of Ride of M35

valentin650valentin650 Member Posts: 19
edited July 2014 in INFINITI
Hi,
I am shopping for a used luxury car, and 2007 Infinity M35 and 2007 MB E350 are my top choices. I heard a lot of good things about M35 (reliable, lots of options, good value), but I also saw some negative comments about noise and rough ride. When I test drove the M35, it did seem a little bit more noisy/rough than E350, but it didn't seem too bad. However, the roads near the dealership were very nice, so I am not sure how loud/rough the ride gets on bad roads. (The noise is a concern for me because sometimes I have to talk on the phone while driving).
How do Infiniti M owners feel about the noise/ride quality? Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Comments

• rdesmanrdesman Member Posts: 43
    I have a 2008 M35S model so it has an even harsher ride than the standard set-up. It is acceptable to me because the handling is more to my liking but is of course a personal preference. The noise factor has never been an issue at all.
    Keep in mind that the M35 was designed not to be the most compliant soft ride around but was designed to have a more sporty character and has the appropriate side effects.
    The real issue is what you are looking for personally and do you like the car as it is designed. You can't ask for better reliability and value.
    I love mine.
  • james27james27 Member Posts: 433
    I traded an old Audi A6 for an M35x. The ride is okay, not great on the M. I really don't like the steering and the Michelin snow tires handle nearly as well, track straighter, and are actually quieter than the stock Goodyear tires. After the first long trip (about 400 miles, mostly interstate), I arrived with a headache and it took hours to relieve the stress...about like flying cross country in the back of the plane so you can hear the engines all the time. The Audi was MUCH quieter, and was a pleasure to drive on that trip. I bought the M because it had enough headroom. You couldn't buy the Audi without a sunroof (it was, when I bought mine way back when), and with one, it loses about 3" of headroom...my head hit. So, the room in the M was one of the main reasons I bought it. After that trip, I ended up spending nearly a grand at a car stereo shop putting in some additional sound proofing. Much better, but even then, the Audi was quieter. People can hear me on the hands-free BT system, but it's not as good as I'd like. Some of this is related to the phone you have, some are better than others.

I've made a request to Mercedes to see if they would build a US version of their new E-class without a sunroof like they do in any other country they sell it (the US only buys them with sunroofs as standard) to gain over 3" of extra headroom to match the legroom the car has. Hopefully, they'll do it. They used to do this (although the dealers pretty much only ordered them with one), and the (dumb in my opinion) complained that a sunroof was 'standard' on the other cars, and why do they have to pay for one on the Mercedes (not realizing that they WERE paying for it, but it just showed up in the base price rather than having a choice). As I implied, I just don't fit in most cars, and given a choice, would gladly give up a sunroof to have a little leaway in seating choice.

As to reliability, I'm not overjoyed, which is one reason I'm looking for something else. Might be jumping from the fire to the frying pan, but I hope not! Most people have had good luck with their M's. Mercedes seems to have regained some of their reliability. Can't say from personal experience; never owned one.

Long response, hopefully helpful.
  • walounkwalounk Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2007 M35X and I am already looking for a new car,I have never liked the steering, the noise is too much for a luxury car, my 2004 Mazda 6 is quieter and rides much better, driving on concrete roads is like driving a truck.

The thing that really gets me is the engine noise especially at low speeds, I don't know if it is the engine or the exhaust but either way it's unnecessary in a luxury car.

When I test drove the car the streets around the dealership were excellent, I regret not trying the car on different types of roads.
  • dodgerdogdodgerdog Member Posts: 4
    Another perspective: I own a 2008 M45. One of the things you will notice reading through the boards is that owner satisfaction seems to be much higher among those who did not buy the all wheel drive.

I love the ride, it can be a little rough at times, but road noise only is noticeable for me when both on the freeway AND at high speeds. Even hen its not too bad. Plus, I love the handling--my car has none of the issues Ive seem reported with the X models.

All that said. I have had my car in the shop about 4 times for non-maintenance issues. But, none are performance related (things like the wood rim on the door has peeled off (on every door) and the cd player was jammed and needed to be replaced.
  • busterscbustersc Member Posts: 3
    I purchased an 2008 M35x new and it is noisy and the steering and handling is very bad! Beware...
    Infiniti is not standing behind their car. I am in the process of dealing with the BBB and my state does have the Lemon Law.
  • stoneymstoneym Member Posts: 2
    I just bought an M35x and am happy with the ride and feel. It's quiet. Yesterday I was reading the manual and setting the seats while the car was one. Someone was knocking on the hood and window and i couldn't hear them.

The car has low profile tires and the driver can feel that. I sold a bmw 328i in May and that had a much rougher ride. The Infiniti M's and G's handle every bit as good as a BMW and better than an Audi.
  • m4mm4m Member Posts: 76
    I have had an intermitted issue with the passenger mirror when putting the car in reverse...
    If the car in in reverse and you have either side chosen to adjust (it's not in the center position) the mirrors will angle down towards the ground to assist in backing up. HTH
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    :confuse:

Huh? And your issue is?
    I don't have any issues, I love my M35! I was answering to leejoseph, this was his statment "I have had an intermitted issue with the passenger mirror when putting the car in reverse... " this is part of his problem with the car, he needs to learn more about its features and options
  • mltsurgermltsurger Member Posts: 102
    And your issue is?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Fortunately, I think we've established that we've had a misunderstanding and do not have a current issue under discussion. :)

How is your M35?
  • hakunamhakunam Member Posts: 13
    Seems like I am not alone! I recently purchased an 06 M35X. While I am very happy with the drive, the interior space, I am very very disappointed with the ride quality and noise. I traded an A4 (3L AWD) to get this. I must say, while Audis are not known for best drive, it was way better than the M. I pull my hair out with every drive around town, the sound is horrible at low RPMs. I actually like the throaty note at higher RPMs but the low rev noise is just unacceptable!!!!! Trying to convince the wife to replace it (it's techincally her car).
    I spent about $1k at a stereo shop and had additional soundproofing put in. It helps, and doesn't get on my nerves. My previous car was an A6, and it was much quieter, but still sounded nice when you put your foot into it...just not annoying on a long drive like this.

I bought it because I fit, not because I particularly liked it. I don't want an SUV or cross-over, so there are few cars with enough headroom. Now if you could convince the marketers to sell them without a sunroof, the field changes. on Audi, when you could buy one without a sunroof, you were limited severely in any options you might want, since they were in a package that included the sunroof.
  • lvm50lvm50 Member Posts: 3
    Hello,

I just bought a 2007 M35X. The ride is a bit more rough than the Lexus RX 300 I drove. However, it's not bad. I barely hear any noise. It's pretty quiet. Overall, I do like the car. I have had it now for 3 weeks so maybe I am beginning to get use to the ride.
    I've only had my brand new M for a few weeks, but I'm absolutely astounded at the level of luxury, technology and comfort in this car.
    The car is super comfortable even with Sport version I have, is really not much different from luxury, very slightly stiffer if you ask me, but it's still an incredible ride. Engine is bit loud, but in a good way, it is music to my ears. My M engine newly tuned to provide 303 horsepower with 7 spd trans, may be that make a diff?
    HTH
  • dan41dan41 Member Posts: 182
    I've now had my M35X for four weeks and I am absolutely thrilled with the ride. The ride offers more of a sports car ride which, I believe, tends to be a more firm and tighter ride. It certainly isn't a soft ride that my Avalon provided. There isn't anything wrong with either style ride, but different cars offer different driving experiences.

The sound of the engine is something that brings a smile to my face every time I push the start button; and I really appreciate the sound while cruising. The engine sound was one of the many things that attracted me to this car. I can understand why some may not appreciate this sound. However, I recognized the uniqueness of this sound during both of my test drives - one short and one long.
  • tomy3tomy3 Member Posts: 46
    I was thinking of buying a new 2101 M35X but was concerned about the posts and reviews regarding road noise. However, I came across the 2009 Car and Driver review comparing the A6, 535i, M45, Jag XF, and MB E350. In the "sound level" category the M45 had lower dBA at full throttle than the A6 and 535, and lower than the A6 in the 70 MPH-cruise category. Does this say it's not a big issue or is "road noise" more a feel issue than a sound issue? I would appreciate any feedback from 2009 or 2010 M35X owners.
  • dan41dan41 Member Posts: 182
    My advice is to take an M out for an extended test drive to see if you notice any the "road noise". I did several test drives before purchasing my M with one test drive exceeding two hours. I did not find an issue with road noise. The M does have a unique engine rev noise and, for me, it's a sporty noise that goes very nicely with the M. There have been post about the Goodyear tires being a source of road noise as well as tramling. Some owners have reported a positive difference when they replaced the Goodyear tires.

The M ratings in Car & Driver and Consumer Reports - which gave the M one of their highest scores - are meaningless if YOU do not enjoy your driving experience.

My M35X is a blast to drive and I don't have an issue with road noise. Over the past 9 years, my previous cars have been a Toyota Avalon Limited, Lexus GS and an Acura TL Type S. So far, I have absolutely no regrets with choosing my M35.

Good luck and let us know what decision you make.
  • smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    for all you having noise and ride quality issues with your current M35/M45 I have the answer to your problems: the new 2011 M!!! so far preliminary reviews are looking very promising talking about much reduce wind/road noise and a much improved ride, especially in the V6 model and V8 models without sport packages!!!

plus the new body style is really sleek looking :shades:
    You can't compare a V-8 with a V-6. My last car was an Audi A-6 that was a pleasure to drive on a long, monotonous, interstate trips of 8+ hours. To me, the M35x was horrible. I spent about $1K at a car stereo shop on some Dynamat, and that helped. I'm fed up with it and planning to sell mine when the car (I think) I want becomes available. Only 50K on it, and had problems with the brakes twice, and today realized that the a/c has crapped out. the transmission slammed into 3rd gear, and was replaced and it was never the same - they didn't know how to get rid of the slop and said it was within specs...but, it wasn't what I bought. The paint is brittle, and instead of a little chip, it delaminates from the hood leaving a raised chip. I like a car to have a nice engine sound when I'm trouncing on it, but to be able to enjoy the stereo when I'm cruzing. The tramlining is annoying, but I cope. I much prefer a car that goes in the direction I point it, not one that wanders in the wind, the crown of the road, or follows a rut. The Audi tracked like a train, regardless of the surface. But, in their wisdom, with the mandatory sunroof, I no longer fit, so didn't consider it. Better gas mileage would be nice, too.

In Japan, the new version uses noise cancelling to make the car quieter. I don't know if that feature is in the 2011's to be sold here. The new one has less headroom than the old one, and that puts it out of consideration, regarless.
  • barryendbarryend Member Posts: 121
    edited March 2010
    One year ago I leased a 2009 Audi A4 2.0 with sports package. Before that I leased a 2006 M35X. I switched tires from Goodyear to Conti Contact Extremes which reduced the trammeling somewhat.

The Audi steering and tracking is infinitely better than the M35X. My feeling of safety and confidence is much better. I also drove A6 loaners and the same is true. The A4 with stock suspension is also much better ride and steering than the M. The steering boost at low speeds is much higher (lighter) and the smaller wheels, softer suspension and lower performance tires give the stock A4 a different feel.

The M35X is a good car unless you want to drive somewhere.
  • barryendbarryend Member Posts: 121
    I hear the 2011 M37s come with Michelin Primacys. That may be a good choice for M35s. Not a sports tire but reputed to be very long wearing and quiet.

I suppose a tire is long wearing because the rubber is hard. That might mean longer stopping distances as a trade off. The Michelin Xs I bought in the 1960s pioneered the radial tire and would last forever.

Perhaps we want sports options and when we get them we learn comfort is more important and practical.
This discussion has been closed.