Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2001 Highlander Maintenance Problems Over 140,000 Miles

davidgardendavidgarden Member Posts: 5
edited March 2014 in Toyota
My 2001 V6 AWD Highlander has 138,000 miles on it. It has run nearly perfectly for eight years. I am wondering what experience others are having regarding maintenance issues as their vehicles are getting older. Basically, what issues are people running into as their mileage gets over 140,000 miles? I have read about transmission problems and oil sludge issues. Does anyone have 200,000 miles on a Highlander yet? What have they had to replace?

Comments

• Options
    texasgirl55texasgirl55 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2001 V4 with 323,000 plus miles. I am the original owner and it has been a great vehicle for 8 years. However, I continually have a problem with the catalytic converter. My check engine light is on and has been since Nov. 08 with the dealership advising me that it is the catalytic converter ONCE again. This will be the FIFTH converter if and when I have it replaced. I have always had them replaced by the dealership and I am thinking about going elsewhere for not only a lower price, but possibly putting an end to any misrepresentation by Toyota. The first two were replaced when the SUV was 2.5 yrs old at 72,000 miles and under warranty, then again 10 months later when the converter was still under warranty and the third time it went out it was 13 months later and Texas Toyota refused to replace it stating it was now my responsibility due to the number of miles I drove. I wrote a letter to Toyota never receiving a response. I had it replaced after waiting another year and it didn't cause any problems other than running a little sluggish. The fourth one lasted 100K miles (Stewart Toyota put it in). I was told that part of the reason could be the gas cap, but I always make sure it's tight. I do drive about 1000-1100 mimles per week, but five in 8 years seems a little extreme and Toyota's silence is disconcerting. If anyone has any ideas as to why this continues to happen I would appreciate your input.
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    At some point along the way some one should have replaced the MAF/IAT sensor module and/or the front oxygen sensor. A manufacturing flaw in either one of these and the A/F mixture will not be correct.

My vote would be for, against, the front oxygen sensor.
This discussion has been closed.