Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Tahoe Battery Problems

Comments

• mrheisermrheiser Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 avalanche that has gone dead 4 times over the year. I had the 7007B update I was told before the first time it went dead. ALso had a new battery 1 week before my last episode. I have had 're-programs' since that first update for other things and wonder if that over wrote the 7007 update. Can anyone tell me if this computer fix really did work? My truck has been there for 9 days now and I think they are still coming up empty.
  • 2thebeach2thebeach Member Posts: 6
    2007 Tahoe w 11k died while driving on Interstate 65mph. Been on road approx 5hrs when vehicle lost all power motor shutdown however all lights electrical remained on. Vehicle totally dead would not start. Gauges Warning lights flashing
    power drivetrain failure . Towed to dealership where they advised the battery had failed while driving and shutdown computer(best guess). Replaced battery .
    Amazing if battery failed while driving and why did all lights DVD continue to work.
    When dealership opened next morning the battery was totally dead. :lemon:
  • 2thebeach2thebeach Member Posts: 6
    No Actually my wife was driving and the loss of power was so sudden & unexpected. We were more concerned at the time about the 18 wheeler behind us and being rear-ended. By the time we got to the shoulder of the road all guages were inactive. Only the warning indicators were flashing but nothing indicating battery issues that I ca :sick: :sick: n remember
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Did you happen to notice what the battery voltage was on the battery gauge when the engine died?
  • jntjnt Member Posts: 316
    Delco Remy battery division was sold couple years back to Johnson Control

jt
  • ndmattendmatte Member Posts: 4
    My battery died two days after I brought my Tahoe home. I was listening to the radio on accessary. Never would have thought that would happen after an hour. Jumped it and for the most part have had little to no trouble until I bought a 3rd car for in and around driving in town. Tahoe sits for more than 4 days and the battery dies. I was getting ready to take it in for service and have the battery checked and well, transmission went out the day prior to the service. Kicking myself for trading in the 03 Trail Blazer that cause me no problems.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I've been reading the Inconsiderate Drivers discussion too long. I was thinking about the other kind of tailgating at first. :shades:

An iPod shouldn't drain your battery like that, much less the radio and interior lights. If the dealer is blowing you off, try contacting GM direct and ask them to open a case. Sounds like you have a parasitic battery drain somewhere since your battery checks out.

Anyone else?

Better hurry with a fix, football season is just around the corner!
    Well I have a 2007 Sub LTZ (and from Raleigh), so this post peaks my interest, but unfortunately I'm not going to have a lot of time to research this so I'll give you a couple of my thoughts. Perhaps you'll find the answer before I get around to looking at this, who knows when that will be.

First, I would not have thought that there is THAT much current drain which would drain the battery completely, so I agree thats omething is wrong or this is a dumb design.

Secondly, unless the battery is weak, I would expect that something of substantive current draw is on. A couple things that I would look at are:
    - Daytime Running Lights/dome/courtesy lights
    - auto leveling compressor/pump
    - AC compressor clutch
    - HVAC blower fans front or back
    - elect radiator / ac fans
    - heated seats, etc.
    - defogger circuit, elect windshield washer fluid
    - electric fuel pump?
    - or something you have plugged into power outlets.
    Try to figure out what might be on by listening to each of those, and whatever else I haven't thought about off the top of my head.

Third, if you can't find the drain culprit from just listening, then you'll have to put an ammeter on the battery to observe the battery drain, and then start popping fuses to figure out which circuit is causing the drain.

Fourth, if all else fails, you can always add a 2nd battery to the vehicle. Put in an isolator typical of marine multi-battery installations, where the start battery doesn't get depleted.

To the OP.....are you just running the radio, or do you have a bunch of things plugged in (like a portable refrigerator !!). What is it that you are purposely having "ON" while tailgating?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    every time I leave the radio on and the doors open, even with the dome lights off, the battery drains to a point of needing a jump...

Given enough time, any draw of current will drain a battery. Are we talking minutes? Hours? Days?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    tidester,

Suburban's have an interior lights override button, which allows you to select whether you want the dome (and the other interior lights) to stay on when the doors are open, or to be off. That allows you to have the doors open, and not wear down the battery.
    Yes, but I was trying to find out how long it took the OPs battery to drain. Obviously, it would be quicker with the dome and interior lights on.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • rockman59rockman59 Member Posts: 250
    This "battery draining" problem has been reported before. I can't remember the fix but this is not a normal thing. Any good battery should be able to play Ipods and radios 24/7 for a long, long time. Solid state electronics draw hardly any current from the battery. Your dealer should do some research. You too...get on the internet and see what you can find. This is not normal and there is a way to fix it.
  • lastchevylastchevy Member Posts: 2
    There is a major design flaw in the Tahoe and Suburban LTZ models. I have a 2007 Tahoe LTZ and my dealer nor Chevy can figure out the problem. I just had my 3rd battery replaced today on mine. It has the same problem as your Suburban, it only takes about 15 minutes with the radio on, doors shut, key in the ignition (not in ACC mode) and the battery will drain to the point of needed a jump. According to my dealer, they think it is a bad module but can't determine which one. Any other ideas out there?
  • jamesthomasjrjamesthomasjr Member Posts: 1
    Do you remember what the recall on your transmission was?? I have an 07 tahoe and at 40,000 miles the transmission went out.
  • michele33michele33 Member Posts: 2
    My battery drained 3 times using my iPod. Each time I needed a jump. The dealer checked out and found a fuse that was blown (they said from a bad jump), but didn't find out why the battery drained. Their advice was to not run the iPod with the car off. They told me all batteries would drain (after 20 minutes????). Was interested to find this site with others having the same issues. Called GM, have a case # pending, and I'm suppose to wait for it to happen again before I bring it to the dealer. Why can't the dealer do the diagnostics? What is the difference if I drain, jump and take in for correction? I don't think it's right that we have to accept this, but not sure how to escalate to get it corrected. Any one have a good dealer in the Chicagoland area?
  • cspurlinocspurlino Member Posts: 1
    Our 2001 Tahoe will not start under 30 degrees. The starter is spinning but will not turn over. The battery volt gauge shows 9 volts. I just replaced the battery with a new Interstate battery and we have replaced the fuel filter. Once it warms up outside it will start no problem. Any ideas, this is drivingus crazy.
    When you say the starter is spinning, but will not turn over..

Do you mean that the starter properly engages, the starter gear engages the flywheel, and the engine crankshaft turns....but the engine doesn't start?

or do you mean that the starter motor turns, but doesn't engage the flywheel and doesn't turn the engine?

If it's the latter, then replace the starter.
  • gary5265gary5265 Member Posts: 5
    I like many other unsatisfied GM owners bought a new Tahoe back in 2007. The battery now goes dead about once a month and I make sure nothing is left on.

I checked out a friends Chevy pickup for the same problem and found when I put my meter on the battery the charge rate was good. Good amps and volts. I then checked the diodes with the same meter and found the diodes were shorted inside the alternator even though it was charging well.

Once the alternator was replaced he had no more problems. The shorted diodes were draining the battery.

I called the Chevy dealer where I purchase my vehicle new and they were certain the battery was dead and that would not be covered under warranty. They didn't even check it out, they just condemned the battery over the phone.

GM must know what’s going on but do not want to pay for a recall!

I will most likely change out my alternator myself.

Your thoughts???

Gary5265
    I like many other unsatisfied GM owners bought a new Tahoe back in 2007. The battery now goes dead about once a month and I make sure nothing is left on.

I checked out a friends Chevy pickup for the same problem and found when I put my meter on the battery the charge rate was good. Good amps and volts. I then checked the diodes with the same meter and found the diodes were shorted inside the alternator even though it was charging well.

Once the alternator was replaced he had no more problems. The shorted diodes were draining the battery.

I called the Chevy dealer where I purchase the vehicle new and they were certain the battery was dead and that would not be covered under warranty. They didn't even check it out, they just condemned the battery over the phone.

GM must know what’s going on but do not want to pay for a recall!

I will most likely change out my alternator myself.

Your thoughts???

Gary5265
    So this vehicle sits not used, and after a month the battery is dead?

Or you use this vehicle all the time, and mysteriously once a month the diodes short out and drain the battery down?

Are you still signed up for the GM vehicle once a month call home function?

I have an 07 LTZ, which is used primarily for long distance travel (like vacations) or 6+ people hauling, so it sits unused a lot. I (knock on wood), have not had any issues with the battery going dead.
  • sg48219sg48219 Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the same problem. I just bought my Tahoe used over the summer. Here in Michigan with the cold weather, my truck won't start on avg. 4 out of 7 days of the week. Now I'm frustrated. Has someone actually changed out their alternator and solved the problem???
    I drive my Tahoe every day without fail. About once a month when I go out to start it the battery is so dead it won't even unlock the doors.

I know without a dought that I do not leave anything on.

The wipers have never worked properly and the transmition has been replaced.

Gary5265
    Check to see if it fails, coincidentally the same date the vehicle 'calls home' to GM.
    If I don't subscribe to the program you mentioned will my vehicle still "call home"? I don't use the OnStar or get updates of the vehicle health.

Thanks

Gary
    I'm suppose to wait for it to happen again before I bring it to the dealer.

If the battery drains after only 20 minutes then take your car to the dealer, park it in a convenient place (like right in front of the showroom door), turn the engine off and run your iPod. 20 minutes later you can tell them it happened again. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    I don't know, I unsubscribed to it.

Just trying to think of some intermittent thing that could be coming on (or staying on).
    - if it calls home
    - air leveling pump
    - heated seats
    - turn in mirrors
    - auto tailgate close
    - HVAC
    - radio
    - etc

I'd be pulling fuses, or taking care to go thru the same sequence of turning things off, looking for something out of oridinary.
  • michele33michele33 Member Posts: 2
    LOL! PERFECT IDEA! Thank you tidester!
    You're most welcome. Let us know how it turns out. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • golflengolflen Member Posts: 2
    Same thing happened to me, the alternator going out, at 62,000 miles. I changed the alternator myself in 20 minutes with only a 15mm socket and ratchet. Not that hard to do.
  • golfgeek70golfgeek70 Member Posts: 1
    I'm very interested in learning more from others who have had the same battery drainage problem on their 07 Tahoe like I have. For the last 6 months or so, my battery (80K miles) has started doing just what others here have described; I leave it off for 2 or 3 days at most with nothing plugged in or anything left on, and it completely drains, or I leave the interior light or radio on for 30 minutes while sitting it it and it totally drains. A jump works but then the computer is all messed up and reports random issues on the instrument panel for a day or so, and sometimes the radio, Nav, and other electronics don't work at all. After a day or so of driving and recharging the battery, everythign usually mysteriously starts working again. My main question is whether this is something covered under the 5 year/100K Chevy owner's warranty, or if it's again one of those things that is only covered under the 3yr/36k bumper to bumper warranty? If not, has the alternator replacement really fixed the problem? I read the post about the possible BCM and electronic remote starter reprogramming issue that GM issued possibly resolving this, but my experience with my local dealer has usually been a dogfight to get anything covered - they pull the old "well, if you agree to pay for some other services you don't really need (at double the reasonable price I might add) I might be able to cover it [insert issue here] and get it fixed under warranty" trick. I'm tired of having to fork over money for services that I don't need or that I can get done for half the price elsewhere just because I need a warranty item addressed. Just as an FYI, I've had other issues with my 07 Tahoe like some of you on this site including: 2 blown transmissions (I'm on the 3rd now); random audio/Nav/DVD system issues that cause all Audio/Nav/steering wheel controls to stop working including anything to do with turn signal and flasher audio since its tied to the stereo apparently; a rear A/C system failure that took 5 trips to figure out and finally fix correctly; and even little annoying things like the cheap plastic chrome covered interior front door handles cracking and peeling so much that they are like little razors that slice my hand every time I reach for the handle (finally had to sand them down and cover with electrical tape until I get replacements). Overall, this vehicle has been way too much trouble than it was worth given the $51K I paid for it. Likly my first and last Chevy.

Has anyone who has replaced the alternator successfully fixed the battery draining problem? If so, I may end up doing that myself as I suspect I know what my dealer will tell me, which is, "gee, we ran some diagnostics on the charging system and it all checks out, so you're on your own."
  • dyno1973dyno1973 Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2010
    MY battery would be completely drained after sitting overnight. I jump start it and it would be fine and i can stop the vehicle and start it up again. I did an amperage check and the vehicle was drawing 3+ amps with nothing on at all. We have had weird things happen with the radio so I figured that the radio might be the reason. I pulled the fuse for the radio and problem solved but I have no radio now. My bumper bumper warranty is expired. This is the second radio that I have had in the vehicle. The first one was causing engine whine through the speakers
    Take your vehicle and have the battery and alternator load tested. Most auto parts chains will do that check free of charge. Replace anything not up to snuff.

If those check out okay, then there is something that is draining the battery, and you will need to have an electrical shop test for parasitic current drain.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I didn't see any details in your message...I hope your laptop's battery didn't die ;)

Anyway, here's a good tutorial on this sort of problem. I hope it's of help to you:

http://flashoffroad.com/electrical/Batteries/BatteryDrain.html

If you tell us a bit more, maybe we can give you advice that relates specifically to your model/year.
  • jody1230jody1230 Member Posts: 1
    Gary~
    I am having the EXACT same problem. Just wondering if you have any new info? I am sooo frustrated!!
    I haven't found a solution to the problem but when I took my Tahoe in to have a BAD wheel bearing replaced I did get the service adviser to admit GM knows about the problem but are admitting to nothing. The Cadillac Escalade is having the same problem. As I mentioned in one of my earlier posts, GM knows, they just won't admit to the problem because they don't want the expense of a recall to fix it.

Good Luck!
  • lastchevylastchevy Member Posts: 2
    I used to have a 2007 Tahoe LTZ with the exact same problem; however my dealer did solve the problem back in December when he had the Tahoe in the shop for 8 days. Their is a bulletin that GM released in April 2009 that pin points the problem to the High Speed Bus Bar which is located on the firewall on the passenger side. This is a defective part which overheats. In return it simulates a fake dead battery. Many shops look to the battery as the problem when in reality the battery is fine. Both my dealer and I could not simulate the problem again after replacing this part and following the action steps in the bulletin. Good Luck.
  • emeraldblueltzemeraldblueltz Member Posts: 1
    I had a similar problem on my 07 LTZ, so I replaced the alternator and it solved the problem. Turns out the alternator wasn't charging the battery fully when running, so I was draining the battery each time I drove it. However, the alternator never actually failed so I never thought it might be the issue. The other clue was that when the engine was running every light on the vehicle would pulse due to uneven amps coming out of the alternator...
  • bigburfbigburf Member Posts: 1
    I have also been having battery issues in my 07 Tahoe. Started about a year ago, had the alternator replaced. Seemed to fix the problem but not for long. I could stop and get out of the car, run into a convenience store for a coke and get in and dead as a door nail. Other times it would be extremely slow to crank and then it would go for 2 months without another episode. I did find a recall on 07 Tahoes for a fuse problem with the washer fluid heater elements that was credited for a variety of electrical shorts, but I was told mine didn't have the right VIN number for the recall. My charging gauge fluctuates up and down and the cd changer will sound like its stuck to name a couple other symptoms. I will take one of the earlier comments and ask my dealer about the high speed bus bar. I have to say I was surprised to find so many are having issues especially with the 07 model. Best of luck on resolving your issues.
  • lou718lou718 Member Posts: 1
    I live in Brooklyn N.Y. I drive my tahoe every day ,yet I am no different from these tahoe owners I have heard from today.My tahoe has been giving me problems starting for the last year and a half.Like others I thought it was because my girlfriend kept leaving the radio,heat or ac on. I spent $100 on a portable battery charger,then bought the $185 battery that is compatable with the tahoe.That was 2 days ago.Today I used my battery charger.THIS IS BULL i will keep it clean but it will be going to the mechanic 2day!Just wanted to share cause if not for u guys I would have thought it was just me! :mad:
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello,
    I am from GM Customer Service. Is the vehicle still under warranty? Has the battery been looked at for its battery cell level? Have you taken the vehicle to a dealership to have it diagnosed? What is the VIN of the vehicle? You can direct message me if you prefer with your information. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
    Hello,
    I am from GM Customer Service. I apologize that you have had problems with your vehicle. Please let me know how it goes at the dealership. Thank you,
  • dhmcraneopdhmcraneop Member Posts: 1
    Just noticed that you might have an idea what is going on with our 03 Chevy Tahoe. The Battery is being drained quickly and we've about exhausted our mechanics on what is happening. With everything disconnected even the Alternator it's still pulling around 7volts. Every thing like battery, alternator fuses etc have been marked okay. Any suggestions?
  • 03harley03harley Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2010
    :confuse: I JUST GOT THIS 07 TAHOE WITH 20 INCH WHEELS AND IM THINKING OF BUMPING IT UP TO SOME CUSTOM WHEELS AND STRONGLY THINK OF PUTTING ON SOME CUSTOM 24" WHEELS I WOULD LIKE TO THINK IM GOING TO BE ALRIGHT ON THIS DECISION? WHATS THE PROS AND CONS OF THIS,
  • triadiumtriadium Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2010
    I have a 2007 Chevy Tahoe that I've had since 2006. Since I've had it I've experienced several times (5+) a dead battery as a result of running the dvd player without the engine running. My question is this: how long should I be able to run it before the fully-charged battery dies? In my experience, it can die in under 15 minutes. Is this normal? It seems to me that it should run much longer. In other words, can someone walk me through the math to calculate what the theoretical time the Tahoe battery would last under the draw of the entertainment system? By the way, here's a snippet from Edmunds' Long Term Road Test of the 2007 Chevy Tahoe (full article = http://www.insideline.com/chevrolet/tahoe/2007/long-term-test-2007-chevrolet-tah- oe-lt.html):

"On two occasions the Tahoe failed to start. First it was because we ran the headlights with the engine off, and then we overused the radio on accessory mode. Each time the battery was solely in use for about 20 minutes. With the help of jumper cables the SUV started right up both times, but we found it hard to believe there was such limited juice in the battery."
    edited April 2010
    Battery storage is rated in AMP-Hours.

So a brand new 400 amp hour battery would have enough stored current to drive a 20amp draw on it, for 20 hours....and it would be dead.

I don't know the draw by the starter, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's over 100 amps.

I know there are a couple people who have complained about battery life while running music. I personally have not experienced that problem, so haven't looked into it and diagnosed the problem. However if I did have the problem, the first thing I'd do is put an ampmeter in series with the battery, to measure the actual current draw when the audio was on. My guess would be, that there are a number of other things that powered while the DVD was on, things that might make the current draw much more substantial than the DVD itself.

Could be things like HVAC blower fans, auto-ride compressor, windshield rain sensor, engine/transmission/body computers, ONSTAR transmitter....who knows.

You then start unplugging fuses, until you see the current drop. Trouble shoot the problem from there.

But try calling the dealer service reps, and see if there is a TSB technical service bulletin or some dealer alert.

I do remember a post somewhere that referenced a problem with a 2007 Tahoe LTZ, that had a bad High Speed Bus Bar. It was a defective part which overheats, and simulates a fake dead battery. Battery is actually fine. They indicated there was a bulletin released in April 2009.

Good luck.
    Hello,
    I am from GM Customer Service. Can you please email me to give me more information on your vehicle concern? You can click on our profile name, and it will give you my email address. Thank you,
  • limoheinzlimoheinz Member Posts: 1
    well, i'm joining the club. i own an 07 suburban ltz and expierience no start problems about every 2-4 weeks and after jumping everything is just fine.
    the chevy service adviser statet that there is no servicebulletin out.

i helped myself with installing a 2nd battery right behind the headlight on the driverside-.but don't fool your self and hook it up to your electrical system, use jumpercable when needed and recharge the battery after 3-4 jumps. i know this is polish car repair but it does the trick when you are in a hurry and as long as chevy does not have a fix ?? what will you do ?
  • houghroghoughrog Member Posts: 2
    I also own a 2007 Tahoe VIN# 1GNEK13Z13J129323 with a no start problem that just started over the weekend, 4 days ago. No prior electrical problems, but Thursday morning it would not start. Jumped it quickly and it ran and restarted 4 times. I suspected something was "left on", but found nothing. Then 2 hours later, no start and had to jump it again. Ran fine and restarted multiple times, then no start again. Checked the terminals, both perfectly clean and put a meter on the battery, it showed a small draw, with nothing turned on, basically I was watching it discharge for no reason. Today I am at my Chevrolet Dealer, where I have it served every time. They tell me that it only has 280 cold cranking amps and needs to be replaced with NO warranty on a 6 year battery! Why is that? Yet if I BUY a new one, I DO get the 6 year warranty. I have yet to determine if this will fix the complete "electrical" no start problem, but it better! Is this what I should expect from a new vehicle battery? I have had 4 Tahoe's over the past 10 years with no battery issues. Thanks
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    If a battery is stone cold dead, jump starting it multiple times is not a really good idea (of course, nobody really tells us that) ---furthermore, a jumpstart and running the engine for a bit might get you re-started a couple of times but the battery isn't even close to being re-charged at that point.

I'm surprised the battery was not at least "pro-rated"--I think it should be.
  • houghroghoughrog Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the tip. Since my 36 months/36,000 is expired now (although I have GM extended warranty too) they say it is NOT covered even though it is suppose to be a 6 year battery. Good news I guess that the NEW replacement battery at the dealer WILL have a 6 year warranty (prorated I assume).