Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2006 Denali XL, what service to do at 50K, transmission?

joe_jensenjoe_jensen Member Posts: 27
I want to do some extensive preventative maintenance on our Denali XL. No issues so far, 58K miles. I think I want to do the following.
1) Transmission, I have read a ton of stories on flushing being risky. I am certain I want the filter changed. The oil is not burnt, but I want the filter changed. What should this cost?
2) Transfer case, and front and rear differential flui changed. What should this cost?
3) Bleed brakes? I think this is good, what would this cost?
4) Fuel filter
5) Do I need to do anything preventative on the power steering?
6) Radiator? Should this be flushed?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    tybomberotybombero Member Posts: 2
    Just IMHO if you haven't changed any of the fluids yet, I would do the tranny, radiator, transfer case and rear diff and brakes. PS fluid, nah unless it's not working well or making weird noises.
    as far as tranny - it's super easy. Do it yourself and save money. It's almost as easy as changing the oil. The risky part is not putting in quality ATF. Make sure you get the exact fluid from the dealer not from say kragen.

transfer case and rear diff - same thing. super easy and an advisable preventative maintanence. If you do it yourself it will only cost you the cost of the fluid -

Radiator flush is a good idea too. it would run you about $90 at a repair shop. do this yourself too for about $25. Go to kragen and get the coolant and a flush solution. Just follow the directions on the back of the flush stuff.

If you don't already have one, get the haynes repair manual for your vehicle at autozone for about $25 and you can do all these basic maintenance procedures fairly easy and without much doubt in your mind how to do them. it will save you so much money in the long run.
  • Options
    rshtrsht Member Posts: 277
    Its nice to see that there are still people out there care about maintaining their vehicles, and DIY. Very Nice!

Just a friendly reminder, to get all the right gaskets/seals for your oil pan, drain/fill plugs, and dispose the old fluids properly.
  • Options
    dwgourleydwgourley Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased a 2007 GMC Yukon XL. What is the best place to leave the transmission selector. 2H, Auto?

Any ideas?
  • Options
    ivanneal12ivanneal12 Member Posts: 1
    My 2006 Yukon Denali has been worked on by Midas in Laurel, Md. They were supposed to be putting in a new engine at the tune of 3600 dollars but they had it a year and did not replace the differential bolts on my axle. They also did not top my transmission fluid but only put two quarts of transmission fluid in a 7 quart transmission. Midas claims that they do not touch the transmission when they put in a new engine but our claim was that they have to touch the transmission to pull it off the engine. Also they stated that they don't test drive vehicles to be fixed nor do they run diagnostics on it.

This has resulted in a bad transmission in which AAMCO even backed us on but they still will not fix my transmission. I find this to be wrong and they need to fix it. This is a franchised Midas but with us calling corporate they told us that we would have to wait 48 hours for someone to call us back and when we called back to state that we received no call in 48 hours they said sorry we will have to put you back in the que so that we could receive a call in 48 hours.

I am so unhappy as I am paying for a rental car during this time, and to no avail do I have help. I have 4 children one being 18 months, and they have football and cheerleading practices, I have to make it to work and a wife who has rheumotoid arthritis. This is not good customer service nor are we happy.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Wow. You may want to reach out to Midas corporate via Twitter and Facebook too if you haven't already. Not sure if CSRs from Midas read the forums but they are bound to looks at some social media, and sometimes that gets company's attention.