Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Yukon, Yukon Denali, XL Electrical Problems

Comments

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    fwz,

Congratulations on your purchase! Please keep me posted when you have taken the vehicle in to the dealership.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • blackout79blackout79 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 denali SUV and for some reason my back doors are not opening. They used to work fine, and now they are giving me problems. I have tried hitting the button on the inside passenger side rear panel and everything. I have unlocked and locked the doors several times, to try and "trigger" it. They will randomly work, but they seal themselfs shut the majority of the time. for some reason my igniton key does not work on the back door panels. Any suggestions?
  • fwzfwz Member Posts: 2
    I previously posted about my entertainment system not working. I have taken it to the dealership, the guy told me it needs to be removed and sent to be fixed. A week later he called and said it was faulty and they replaced it. I got back and they installed the new one. He didnt have a clear answer of what happened just that it was faulty. Now works fine.
  • 68gtxman68gtxman Member Posts: 5
    edited September 2011
    I went outside last night and found my 2003 GMC Yukon Denali XL flashing the headlights and clicking noises coming from under the hood even though it had been parked and un-touched for more than 24 hours. The door locks would not release with the remote fob. I put the key into the ignition and tried to start it but it wouldn’t even click, but the flashing headlights stopped. I checked the battery then and it was 7.5 volts and obviously dead. I put a trickle charger on it and went out for 4 hours. When I later checked it, the battery was even lower voltage and the light on the trickle charger was out (meaning there was either a short or high drain). I disconnected the battery cable and reconnected the battery charger. The battery is 5 months old and is the top of the line model. What can I expect when I go home tonight and reconnect the battery cable? Is there a short in the starting system (and if so, why would it engage completely by itself)?
  • sour2sour2 Member Posts: 2
    My volt meter is not reading correctly, when I start the engine it goes to the correct reading of 14.2 volts, but as I drive it drops slowly, sometimes all the way down to 9 volts. I can turn off the engine, and restart, and the gauge works again with the same results. I have put a volt meter on the battery with the vehicle running, and the volt meter on the dash showing 9 volts, however my volt meter on the battery is showing 14.2 volts, and with the vehicle turned off I have a reading of 12.6 volts at the battery. Any suggestions on how to solve this problem would be great!!!
    Apparently the battery died due to an intermittant alternator problem (128K miles). I've heard from others that a dying battery can cause the crazy symptoms I had. The new alternator (and a recharged battery) seems to have cured my problems.
  • gaveezmomgaveezmom Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 denali is doing the same thing with 103,000 miles. Was this problem expensive to fix and should I take it to the dealer? I am about to trade it in. Your advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • arlow1arlow1 Member Posts: 4
    We were having lots of electrical issues, lots of tries to fix, and finally a GMC dealer replaced the negative battery cable, for free, and we have had not had any issues for 6 months!!
    The new alternator did solve the problem. I had the old one tested at Sears and the manager told me it passed the test, as did the battery. Then when I went to drive it out, the tech who performed the test told me that the alternator was intermittent (thanks service manager!). After I manually recharged the battery and replaced the alternator, all the problems went away.

I believe that I still have a ghost problem where the starter won't engage for up to several days, but letting it sit for a long period, it then starts working again. Even switching out the relay didn't solve the problem. I believe it is not even starter related. I'll bet the computer controls it because if you turn the key for just a millisecond, the starter will engage until the engine starts, or if you hold the key to crank too long, the starter disengages immediately after it starts (instead of grinding the starter drive gear). In a year and a half, it's only done this 3 times. I tried to replace the starter, but the oil dipstick tube prevented me from getting the old one out. This probably needs to be removed, even though the service manual doesn't mention it.

Good luck to you!
  • lmaes1lmaes1 Member Posts: 2
    I own a 2003 Denali and have had the same electrical problems as others have stated. It has been in the shop multiple times due to the fact that after leaving it off for a few hours, I would go to start it and it would have a dead battery. I have had a new altenator, 2 new batteries, new starter, been to multiple "experts", all to no avail (not to mention, i've had to pay for all of this, in my mind, "needless work", since the problem continues. Most recently, my enire instrument panel has died as well. As I type, the truck is in the shop getting the instrument panel repaired/replaced and also checking on the battery drain problem as well. It is so frustrating and I wish I would of gotten rid of this truck a long time ago. It's a shame because I really do like the truck, just not the electrical problems. I hope someone who has had this problem can help. (I read about the negative battery cable and i'm going to try that next)
  • cf147cf147 Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2011
    Battery died twice without explanation-once while getting gas and once after sitting in garage overnight. Took battery to O'Reilly's and it tested fine. Any suggestions on how to fix this? I don't want my wife and 4 kids stranded somewhere.
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Cf147,
    I understand your concern with your vehicle. If you like, we can start looking further into this with you by seeing if there are any open safety recalls. Please email us the last 8 digits of your VIN, and we will be happy to assist.
    Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • nowwhat2nowwhat2 Member Posts: 9
    My 2003 Denali 70k miles on it has decided to unlock the doors while driving. This only happens in driver 1, and not all the time. Some days three or four time when you first start driving. Other days not at all. And driver 2 setting is fine. any ideas?
  • beavis134beavis134 Member Posts: 1
    i have started having issues with my 2001 yukon xl not wanting to start. i found if you put it in neutral all the power comes back and it will crank. sometimes it has a hard time idling and the clock will have lost power but not the radio presets. does anyone have any suggestions before i shoot this thing! oh, and of course the odometer comes and goes along with the gear indicator. the starting problem has just started.
  • amiebennightamiebennight Member Posts: 2
    Can you advise us on the battery cable replacement for our 2008 Yukon Denali? After finding this blog I'm wondering if this is the solution we have been looking for! Our case is identical to others posted - random battery drain. Battery, alternator and all recall items have been confirmed by dealership.

Thank you!
  • cf147cf147 Member Posts: 2
    I ended up taking it to the dealer, they replaced the cables, and changed the battery even though o'reilly's auto parts said it was still good. nevertheless, problem solved...i think it cost a couple hundred bucks
    Good morning amibennight,

Unfortunately, I don't have access to technical information. I do see that a battery cable replacement has helped several posters. It sounds as though you've been in to your dealership on this - have you spoken with them about this as a possible fix? If you would like to have us follow up with them about your diagnostic appointment(s), please send us an email with more information (include your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your dealership).

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • mmoran1234mmoran1234 Member Posts: 3
    I'm becoming a regular Monday morning customer at my dealership. Thank goodness, they are great but this is getting really frustrating! I have the same oil consumption problem that many others have mentioned. I had the valve rocker arm cover replaced on Feb 22nd hoping that would be the end of this. Yesterday, the service engine light came on so I will be taking it in again. Hard to believe that my engine doesn't have some serious problems after all this.

By the way, we bought this car new and have had many problems!

First, the car came with bad shocks. This took forever to diagnose and we had to go to a few different dealers.

Next, we had the reduced engine power problem that many have had. Again, this took a while to diagnose and fix. The dealer I had been going to was completely incompetant with this issue. I switched dealers and they have been great. They replaced the throttle position cover.

We also had the drivers side door lock actuator/latch replaced because the door wouldn't lock. Again, an issue I've seen on this forum. Unfortunately, this was not a covered issue so it cost almost $300.

While I like my car, I really don't think I should have so many problems with a 2008. In fact, I don't think I should have any problems with a 2008. I'm afraid that this is just a poor quality car. It's too bad because we have a 2001 Yukon XL that one of our kids now drives and we've owned since it was new. That car, with 200,000 miles has had no problems at all - nothing! I took for granted that this was the quality we would expect when we purchased the 2008.
    I'm glad that you have found a dealership you like working with and are treating you well, but can understand why you're frustrated. Have you worked with Customer Assistance already on this?

If you wanted to do so, please get in touch via email (include your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and name of your dealership). My coworker Christina, who answers incoming emails from the forum, will advise you further.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • amiebennightamiebennight Member Posts: 2
    Sarah: I sent an email last Friday with the requested info. Did you receive it? We have also since taken the truck to another dealer who says he cannot isolate the problem but is fairly certain it's a problem in the instrument panel. Please advise...we are getting desperate for some answers and a solution.

Thanks.
    Good morning,

I confirmed with Christina (she handles the incoming emails from Edmunds) that she has received your email; she will be responding to you today. I apologize for the delay!

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • 06xldenali106xldenali1 Member Posts: 4
    I just purchased a 2006 Yukon Denali with 52,000 miles and right after I drove it off the lot the locks started unlocking and locking, reduced engine power and gages started going crazy! That happened all the way home (70 miles) Next day I drove it about 10 miles no issues. Monday I drove it to work all excited and on my lunch break it all started back up. Same things going on and it even got worse, died on me three times and would not start after that. They put it on a flatbed back to whitewater so now I sit here in chicago waiting to get my truck back and it's been 3 days and NO ANSWERS :( Please if anyone has any idea what going on PLEASE TELL ME HOW YOU FIXED IT. Thanks, Brian
    Good morning,
    I'm sorry to read about the difficulties you're encountering with your Yukon, 06xldenali. Is your vehicle at one of our dealerships? If so, we can get a call in to check on the progress if you like. Please email us your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your dealership.
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • 06xldenali106xldenali1 Member Posts: 4
    Good morning Sarah I've tried to Email you 3-4 different ways and it always comes back to me. Please tell me how I can get you that info. Dealership has driven my car over a 100 miles now and still no answers. It happened to the service manager 1 time he had it out and could not find anything when he got it back to the dealership. Really starting to wonder if I should call them to make sure they still have the HHR I traded in cause I don't know if they are ever going to find the issue. Had my car for about 24 hrs and now the dealership has had it about 5 days :( Just a very sad new GM owner that wants his car back. Don't know, maybe the dealership does not have the equipment it needs or what but everday I need to call them, they never call me with an update. Hate calling them cause I feel like I'm being a pain but I just want to hear they found the issue and I can finally have the car I paid 26k for. Every morning my 3 yr old asks me "Daddy when are we getting our new car back?" So again sarah if you could let me know that cause I feel I really need your help!!!!! Thanks, Brian
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited March 2012
    If email isn't working for you, try calling GM customer relations. Here's the link for the number.
  • phg1phg1 Member Posts: 1
    My Yukon XL is having periodic issues when the weather is hot or it is left in the sun. Most of the dashboard gauges will shut off, the AC will stop blowing cold air and the radio shuts down. It will come back on sporadically but never for more than a few minutes. On a couple of rara occasions, the engine also shut down. Brought it to my local mechanic (not a GMC dealer) and he can't figure it out. Anyone have any ideas? My next stop is to try the dealer if I can' find any info to pass along to my mechanic. Thx.
    phg1,
    I'm sorry that you haven't had any luck in getting this resolved so far! Unfortunately, I don't have access to technical information to help you troubleshoot; however, if you do end up visiting a dealership, please be sure to keep in touch with us on the progress there as we're available to be of whatever assistance we can be. We can be reached at socialmedia@gm.com
    Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • 05nw05nw Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2005 Yukon Denali and for the past year have been having problems with the gauges not working. It started with the gas gauge (which would work sporadically) but now it does not work at all and the other gauges (battery, temp etc) are only working some of the time. Is there a recall on this issue? This vehicle is seldom driven far (has less than 15k miles) but is started to keep the battery charged. Is there anything that can be done to fix this if I take it to a dealer?
    05nw,

If we can look into this further for you, we'd be happy to! You can email us at socialmedia@gm.com (for some preliminary searches, it would be great if you would include the last 8 of your VIN).

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • escanaliescanali Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2012
    Hi there, I bought my Denali brand new in Dec, 98 and still running pretty good, the only problem I have is with: my dome lights not working, my radio not working, my wipers not working, my siren on setting alarm not working. Power windows not working, It currently has on it 267,000 miles with no work done to the engine.
    And I was told that it might be one of two things, 1.The BCM or 2. Ignition Switch.
    My question to you is "Can you please help me?"
    Which of the two is more likely to be the cause AND also cheaper and less time consuming for me to do?
    THANKS
  • scara451scara451 Member Posts: 1
    On the inside rearview mirror...the temperature and the compass, all of a sudden, do not display...the little box is blank. I already checked the on and off button, it does nothing. Along with that, the indicator for the Passenger side air bag...that lets you know if it is on or off, does not display and there is a red air bag symbol lit up on the gauge cluster. I have already checked the 10 amp fuse for the rearview mirror, its good, disconnected the battery and reconnected it, still nothing, unpluged the wires from the back of the mirror and pluged them back in, still nothing. All of this went wrong at the same time. I used the truck in the morning, everything was fine. I went out a few hours later, started it up and this is what I found.

I ran a diagnostic check, nothing shows up. Someone suggested it might be the Body Control Module...BCM........any thoughts would be helpful.
  • millerk4millerk4 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a used 2007 GMC Yukon a year ago this month and I have had several issues with it. First the cruise control stopped working. Eventually it started working but then would only work sometimes. Now it doesn't work at all. Then recently I noticed as we got out of the truck and started walking into the house, we would hear the beep as if we locked the doors with the key fab. I hadn't even pushed it yet. This has happened a couple of times in the last week or so. Then yesterday, I was driving down the road and was coming to a stop sign when I started to apply the brakes and all of a sudden the brake pedal felt weird and at first I thought it was locking up. But then I realized the throttle pedal moved too. So the brake/throttle pedals adjusted on their own and now are stuck all the way up. I checked too see if there was a fuse for this but I didn't see one and after reading all these posts I am wondering about my choice in purchasing this vehicle since there seems to be a lot of electrical issues with it. And then it sounds like the dealers don't know what to do with the problems either. Also yesterday after the brake/throttle issue I went down the road not even a mile when I got the warning on the dash about the parking assistant and then the rear window opened up on its own. I pulled over and my boyfriend got out and closed the window and it popped back open again. Once we got to our destination I got out and closed it again and this time it stayed closed. I am planning on taking it to my local mechanic (not the dealer) to see what they can figure out. But from reading all the forums on the GMC Yukons/Denalis it sounds like GMC has poorly made vehicles. I had an Acura TL before this and never had any problems with it.
    millerk4,
    Thank you for taking the time to post your concerns and experience. I apologize for your frustrations and inconvenience. I can look into recall information for you if you would like. I understand you are taking the vehicle to a local mechanic, if you would like to work with a dealer I am happy to look into your concerns for you. Please feel free to email me directly.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    SocialMedia@GM.com
  • copper13copper13 Member Posts: 1
    I bought an 07 Yukon XL 2 years ago. Since that time I have had it to 3 dealers, and 2 other mechanics. I put in 2 new batteries, redid wiring off the fusebox on top the the on-board computer, and replaced the entire fusebox.
    We have also replaced the BCM and the ICM, two of the control modules. They were replaced and reprogrammed based on TSB (technical service bulletins) released by GM 2 years ago about these vehicles. A TSB is one step below a recall, meaning the lucky vehicle owner pays for it, not the manufacturer.
    I am still having issues, but we are now going to remove the after-market DVD player and power inverter, as they are the only thing left that can be causing a problem. That is not, correct; the ignition switch could also be the problem, which I suppose will also be replaced.
    My experience with GM vehicles has been always been pretty solid; this year vehicle seems to be sporting some pretty fun electrical issues. The service departments seem to look for anything to fix, to get the vehicle back out the door. There just aren't very many people willing to hunt down electrical issues; slap on a bandaid and send it away before anyone notices that didn't work...
  • barry75barry75 Member Posts: 4
    Hello, I am a newbie at this forum and I hope I am at the right place.
    We bought a 06 Yukon XL Denali 2 days ago (awesome car) but the only thing is that the dealer where we bought it agreed to fix the radio and entertainment system, beceause that wasn`t working.
    He could not get the radio to work after putting in a new Amp and a brand new radio, so what he did was putting in a aftermarket radio (pioneer AVH-P3100DVD) and that works now, but the rear seat audio and a/c unit does not come on at all.
    I have taken out that unit and all the cables look allright to me, but it just isn`t getting any power.
    the 2 switches for the seat heating and the 12V socket work fine (they are on the sides of that unit).
    What seems to be the problem?? is it the dealers mistake did he do something wrong when he put in the aftermarket radio?? And do you think that he has to fix this or is it just broken and do I need to order a new RSA unit??
    Please help wanted!!!

Regards Barry
    Any luck in getting the electrical concerns taken care of since your last post?
    Sarah, GM Customer Service
    Congratulations on your new Yukon! Is your dealer a GM dealer because we could follow up on this with them for you if you like.
    We can be contacted at socialmedia@gm.com(Include your name, contact information and the last 8 of your VIN).
  • jberglund1jberglund1 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2007 Yukon XL Denali and we left the lot at 3 pm today. We drove it 2 1/2 hours home and stopped to pick up my 1 and 3 year old. As the carseat was being installed the horn started honking steady fountil the fuse was pulled! Then we get to the house and the exterior lights wont turn off(with exception of the headlights) and the rear hatch open. All of this worked at the dealership and we were informed there that the vehicle is sold as is. What can we expect for help from GM, if anything.
    Hello Sarah, no he is a Chevrolet dealer I can tell you his name but I don`t think that I should post it here, maybe I can send you a PM with this information and all the additional information like the Vin etc,etc.
    thank you for your concern and reaction.
    a few days ago I asked the salesmanager what the status was on the RSA and he was trying to contact the electrician who put the radio in and connected the wires.
    But he could not reach him. The sales manager said he would call me monday or the electrician.
    But I am still wondering if that unit even is connected to the radio in the dashboard??
    since it does not get any power at all.

Sarah maybe we could talk on the phone? about this.

Regards Barry.
    Have you spoken with your dealership or Customer Assistance since your post? We can be contacted via email at socialmedia@gm.com ir you would like for us to look into this further (include your name and contact information as well as the last 8 of your VIN).

If you like, please send your information to us via email at socialmedia@gm.com

• brohardinbrohardin Member Posts: 3
    I got it 2004 Yukon Denali XL the instrument cluster is not coming on when you start the car. Sometimes, they all come on just fine, other times they wont come on until a different amount of time passes. We just have to drive not knowing what our speed or if we are in drive until it comes on. Any one have any ideas? I'm thinking that the car is not telling the dash that the car is running. And then wala it tells the dash and all gages turns on at once. Weird!
  • cheriln564cheriln564 Member Posts: 5
    I had the same issue with my gauges not coming on for a few minutes just yesterday! Would love to know what is causing it.
    Sarah I have send an email to the adres provided by you.

Thanks.
    Regards Barry
  • brohardinbrohardin Member Posts: 3
    I've been told by my mechanic buddy and he wants me to call the dealer and give them my dealer vin#. They are supposed to check recalls, then and about computer updates. He thought that the problem was between the ignition and the computer something's not telling the dash that the car is on. So he thinks that there is a computer update to fix it. Have to call this week.
  • cheriln564cheriln564 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the info! I will call tomorrow and check! Hope to hear back from you what you end up finding out if you don't mind. I will do the same. They went out again tonight, only the gear light and odometer though. So strange,
  • n3ran3ra Member Posts: 1
    I have the exact same problem. Started yesterday evening. I have not had a chance to try anything yet but am not hopeful after reading this. Have you had any success figuring it out?

Thanks
    Scott
    Sarah,

About 2 weeks ago I sended an email to the adress provided by you.
    Still no Reply from their side!
    What to do??

Regards Barry
    barry75,
    I apologize for your frustrations. My name is Christina; I work with Sarah answering the incoming emails. I would recommend trying to resend it; if you didn't get a response it's because I didn't receive it. I apologize for any confusion. I look forward to hearing from you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    SocialMedia@GM.com
  • canroncanron Member Posts: 1
    Having same problem. Noticed in 6 months ago that the rpm gauge was coming on intermittent, and when it did come on, it would be stuck near the top or bottom. I have since been deployed with the air force and my wife informed me a month ago that every indicator has now stopped working. When we bought this car 8 months ago it only had 79000 miles on it. Now it has around 90.