Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler Transmission Troubles

wolfmaniiwolfmanii Member Posts: 10
edited November 2018 in Jeep
I used to have a civic manual and I can do heel-toe downshift very easily.

With my current wrangler, the brake pedal and accelerator pedal is kind of too far away vertically.
(not horizontally)

So it is kind of hard for my right foot to control both of them at the same time.

Any tip, suggestions?

Comments

• rgreen1rgreen1 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 1998 wrangler 4cyl 5 speed. at highway speed it just quit pulling in 5th gear all other gears are fine has anyone else had this trouble . thanks
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    When you say, quit pulling, what do you mean? Can you engage it? Any noises? Do you just feel like you have no power? Have you done any mods to it?

The AX-5 is a decent transmission for the 4cyl, albeit a bit weaker than the AX-15 found in the 4.0L engined Jeeps. But it is reliable in my experience.

I had no power in 5th gear either, but 33's will do that. So I regeared to 4.88.

-Paul
  • rgreen1rgreen1 Member Posts: 4
    Yes I can engage it but it will not pull the jeep its like it is out of gear. and only in 5th gear . I was on the highway around 60mph when the motor just reaved up like the jeepwas out of gear. thanks
  • mike187mike187 Member Posts: 2
    Your 5th gear snap ring came off and the gear slid down the output shaft. Mine did this too. This eventially causes the 3/4 syncronizer to separate if it is not fixed.
  • m5vitem5vite Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97 jeep wrangler, 4cyl. 5 speed. I just got back from college and my sister has been driving my jeep the past few months. I noticed a whining sound in first, second, and third gear today. My origional thought was power steering fluid, but that all checked out. Has anyone else had this problem? Fourth and fifth geer are fine.
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    You might want to start by changing the transmission fluid if it hasn't been done recently. Make sure you use the correct GL-3 (not GL-5) spec.
    That's what it sounds like to me too. I've used Redline MT90 in my 97 2.5L manual transmission and it REALLY made a smoother shift and quieted things down.

-Paul
  • shanejshanej Member Posts: 1
    My transmission on my jeep slips when I start in first gear and sometimes kills the engine. When I stop at red lights it acts like the clutch is closing, the car will try to forward while I have the brake on which sometimes kills the engine. Once I get around 10 MPH everything is OK. As it warms up its starts running normal with an occasional slip from start, but does not try to engage clutch and kill the engine.
  • mr_anton89mr_anton89 Member Posts: 72
    Anybody take their 07 Unlmited in for an update on their transmission following the TSB that was issued. Mine is going in next week and wondering what to expect.
  • jesseajessea Member Posts: 2
    :mad: I don't know what a TSB is, but I have a 2007 Unlimited, 3 months old and only 2,000 miles on it. Yesterday the transmission blew! Had it towed to a dealer (the dealer I bought it from was too far away) and was told something broke internally in the transmission and they would have to break it down to find out what. When I called the dealer bought it from there response was "these things happen, call us when it's fixed." Wouldn't give me a replacement car or pay for a rental. Thank god I had it towed some place else. They gave me a replacement car and said they'd take care of everything. I don't know exactly what went wrong yet but I'm not too happy. First time buying American and now I know why everyone told me not to.
    When I was looking online at the TSBs (Techical Service Bulletins) I saw directions on there for the dealer to dismantle and rebuilt the engine. I thought it was wierd that was posted, but maybe its normal procedure.
    Your dealer sounds like they suck. I cracked the windshield on my o7 and took it to the dealer for that, the recall and tsb for transmission and they gave me a free rental car. Your dealer was wrong and you should call chrysler and explain to them you are not happy and not taken care of properly. And for the don't buy american part, its pure opinion not fact as the toyota camry has had more transmission problems than they can count.
  • jesseajessea Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, I found the TSB on transmissions and thought the same thing. Why have it on a 2007 car if there hasn't been problems? Makes me wonder. I'm going to wait until I've everything taken care of, then make my complaint. Fortunately the dealer the car was towed to is great, so far. I also saw a TSB on leaking Hard Top Freedom Panels. I have the dual top and had a leak when I first got the car, but since I took out the softtop and put the hard top back on I've had no leaks, but something to keep my eye on. I guess I've been lucky. I buy a new car every years and have never had anything go wrong within the first year, it I've only had this car 3 months.
    You have a first build of a completely new model, and whether it's an 'american' or an import (the definition of which can be vague at best), you shouldn't be surprised that problems have arisen...............upset yes, surprised no.

ALL first builds from ALL manufacturers have, to be nice, 'teething troubles'. In reality, the first purchasers are always the last stage of product development and reliability testing.

The problems you shouldn't be having are those associated with original dealer.

Finally, "...I guess I've been lucky. I buy a new car every years and have never had anything go wrong within the first year.........". I guess you have been lucky! :)
  • ualairbus320ualairbus320 Member Posts: 1
    Looking at the 07 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara. Initially going for the manual but have read 2 posts on other boards about problems owners have had with the manual tranny. Has anyone else encountered problems with the manual or automatic transmission. I would also appreciate any recommendations from current owners ie...likes, dislikes. We buy and hold our cars so I am trying to avoid buying a vehicle with maintenance problems. Thanks
    To clarify why I had my 07 Un transmission computer updated was that the shifts, while no where near harsh, were noticeable and going down a hill it would hesitate to downshift, but not always and not a real problem. Now that the computer has been reprogrammed it shifts seemlessly and seems to have more power. If I didn't get it updated, I would still not be concerned. These things are build solid, so don't worry buy it, enjoy it, and (like me) look to the weather everyday to try and take the top off as much as possbile. ;)
    As far as likes/dislikes: I kinda wish I had the Sahara instead of a loaded X with S package (means just like Sahara except you get the Sahara's standard 17's and no YES! seats) because I think it would be nice to have the Yes seats, but so far haven't had any need. Have you decided on a top yet? The softtop works for me in snowy ohio, once you get the hang of it its easy to use. The only thing that needs improved is my gas mileage which is a measly 17 mpg, but i think i broke it in too hard and others have recorded better. Go for it!
  • louisjr99louisjr99 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 Jeep Wrangler X, 6-speed with the 6 cylinder engine. Since I bought the jeep new I have been having a problem with it popping out of first gear. It doesn't happen all of the time, but it happens often enough, usually when pulling into traffic. I have let my brother and other people borrow the jeep and all complain of the same thing. I have not done any custom work to the Jeep, this is a factory stock vehicle. When I bring it into the dealership, they either say they can't duplicate the problem or they can duplicate it if they really try but it is not a problem with the car but with they way it is driven. I have had stick shift cars all of my life and never had this problem before. Has anyone experienced this or does anyone know what I can do to get the dealership to acknowledge there is a problem and look into it? Thanks. :mad:
    It shouldn't jump out of gear, no matter how hard you accelerate. Your easiest solution is probably to take it to a more customer oriented dealer.
    You say you bought it new, but was it bought brand new or just new to you? I wasn't sure.

This is a commonly reported problem if a body lift, motor lift, or suspension lift was installed.

I would look at the linkage under the body and make sure it is all good, and I'd check to see if the transmission mount is bent, damaged, or broken.

-Paul
    This is a commonly reported problem if a body lift, motor lift, or suspension lift was installed.

True, but the usually reported problem is with the t/c rather than the main transmission. Most manual transmission problems that occur when the relationship between the transmission and the body has been changed, are concerned with an inability to engage a gear because the gear lever strikes the hole in the tub or the console.
  • louisjr99louisjr99 Member Posts: 2
    The Jeep was bought brand new off of the lot. 13 miles on it. I have not done any custom work to it, I have read somewhere else about the problems when lift kits were added, but mine is factory stock. I will take your advise and try another dealer. My full warranty expires in about 2000 miles, (36000 miles). But I still have the drivetrain warranty, (70000 mi?). Thanks for the help.
    True on that one, Mac. But I have heard the reports of happening on the shifter too.

I have a Tuffy console, with a bigger opening than the stock console, so it has never been a problem for me. :D

-Paul
  • shnjh1976shnjh1976 Member Posts: 1
    yeah I have 00 and it happens to me in 1 to 2 nd guess what i took it to a tranny shop and the gear cluster is damaged sicros and the shift lever has wear on so its not going in gear all the way and popping out under load such as pulling boat or hard take off in to traffic
  • yjimyjim Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97 Wrangler 5-Speed w/ 67K miles and no mods. It started grinding when I put it reverse a while back. It then started to be tough to get into 2nd gear. It proceeded to pop out of 2nd when not under load. I now cannot even get it into second gear and sometimes pops out of 4th when not under load? Is the transmission done?
    Is the transmission done?

Almost certainly, though it can be rebuilt.
  • mreipmreip Member Posts: 9
    I have a 07 Unlimited X and it has a Squeal (like a wear indicator on the brakes) at 1500 to 2000 RPM's just got it back from dealership yesterday (5/24/07) problem still unresolved. Might not be a tranny problem don't know yet. Has anyone else heard of this problem? Do I have a Lemon? :lemon:
  • dbaroliadbarolia Member Posts: 3
    My 07 Sahara is back at the dealership for the 4th time for the same thing (and I've only had it less than a month). First time, they said they couldn't hear the noise (i.e. didn't bother to check). 2nd time, I had a tech tell me that it was just a "new car" noise that would go away after a while (which it didn't). 3rd time they tried messing with the connections between the transmission and the body (didn't help). Not sure what they're going to try today, but yeah, its starting to feel like a lemon... I'm not sure if "nuisance" noises are covered by lemon laws though...
    Just as if this was a medical problem, you need a second opinion.
    I see what you're saying... and I would do just that if it was a person (or me) with a medical condition. Instead though, I've got this feeling like I'm just getting ripped off. i.e. sold a very expensive, faulty and/or defective product.
    I got a call from the Service Dept. at the dealership on Thursday (5/31/07)and they said that they talked with Chrysler and they don't know what it could be. They also said that they (Chrysler)have reports of 2 others with the same problem 1 in New York and the other in Cali (I think). The 1st time I took mine in they replaced a tensioner pulley and the serpentine belt, the 2nd time they were going to replace the throw out bearing and found the slave cylinder leaking, which led to the 3rd time when they replaced the a fore mentioned plus a pushrod, hardware, and lubricants. Still waiting to see what they come up with for my next visit. Is yours Standard or Auto? Mine is standard.
    Mine is a standard too. I got my call on Friday afternoon from the Service Dept (they had it all week), and the guy told me that he "thinks" he got it, and that he hopes I'll be happy with the results (he did not sound confident at all). Supposedly, he replaced the drive shaft; I say supposedly, because when I picked the car up on Saturday morning, it didn't sound like he did anything at all. When I asked for a copy of the work list, and didn't see anything concerning a drive shaft, I was told that the mechanic left before he had a chance to fill out all the paperwork...
    So you are still having the same problem? I haven't heard from the dealership yet, so I will be calling them today (6/11/07) to find out what's going on. I may also speak with the dealer to have her find me a new one, I'm not going to keep a vehicle that is going to give me problems the entire time I own it!
    I was contacted yesterday (6/14/07) by a DCX case worker in reference to the E-mail I sent to them through the Jeep.com website. She said that they would do whatever it takes to resolve the problem and if it can not be resolved they will replace the vehicle. Maybe you should contact them also.
  • timbretimbre Member Posts: 1
    My transmission on my 1998 sahara just went out. I was going down the interstate, heard a whining sound I thought was road noise, and then tranny simply stopped working. Heard some rattling as the thing slowed down, now nothing. No gears work except 4th for some reason. Anyone have an idea specificly what happened and what it might take to fix it? I'm getting ready to pull the tranny now.
    Broken intermediate shaft? Fourth is a direct 1:1 which might explain why you still had drive.

Transmission will need to be stripped and rebuilt, but you may be lucky in terms of damage if there weren't too many expensive noises and you got it stopped quickly.

Take the opportunity to change the brass synchro rings while you're in there, and replace the clutch unless it was done recently. Of course, that's not quite so important if the labor is your own and you enjoy pulling the tranny. ;)
  • joeyturkjoeyturk Member Posts: 1
    Sorry I am late to this discussion but would be interested in hearing more of your problem. I have an '07 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara with the manual transmission and have been having a squeaking noise after disengaging the clutch in 1-3 gears. It annoys me and I have taken it to the dealership once but "they didn't hear anything". Is this similar to your problem or has anyone else had this issue?
  • rappyrappy Member Posts: 1
    I have an 04 tj, about a month ago it sounded like it was backfiring and losing power so i tried some dry gas but it continued. Brought it to dealer they replaced plugs cleaned throttle body and replaced grommet in t-case. Still continues been to the dealer 4 times for the same problem tech says its a popping sound coming from tranny, but doesn't know how to fix it. Any suggestions?
  • jbm7632jbm7632 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1995 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4.0L with a 5 speed transmission. I have a 2" shackle lift and 31" mud tires. As of last Friday my transmission has been messing up. After I shift out of 2nd and go into 3rd, a clunking noise happens and it wont let me shift back down to 2nd. It will not go into 2nd, can't even force it. I can shift up to 4th then 5th and back down to 4th and when i downshift to 3rd the trans makes a horrible grinding noise when i shift into 3rd. When i come to a complete stop, the trans makes a loud clunking noise and then i am able to shift into 1st and 2nd. Sometimes when i take it out of gear and coast to a stop and i dont make a complete stop, it locks me out of all the gears, it will not shift into any gears. Sorry i did alot of explaining but i really need help. Thanks.
  • 8deckman8deckman Member Posts: 1
    Just got my 07 Unlimited Rubicon back from the dealership. Tranny blew @ 14k miles. No explanation from them other than "just a freak occurence". Even though they replaced another one a couple of months ago, I told them about yours, and mentioned the TSB. They showed me the metal shavings in the pan and said they could not get the main core apart (seized together). They put a new one in that seems to almost redline before it will shift into overdrive. How is your new tranny? Hear of any others having problems?
  • bk842bk842 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1990 Wrangler and I am having the same problem. Once I get into 4th I cant shift back into 3rd, it just grinds, but i can shift from 4th to 2nd fine. Someone told me that it could just be the cold weather.?
  • aapodacaaapodaca Member Posts: 2
    my buddy has 95' wrangler and it is shifting really hard coming out of first then it has a slip to it also. but after it warms up it seems to go away and shift fine. can anybody give some advice on how to fix problem. it is a automatic tranny
  • rmummermumme Member Posts: 1
    I have had similar issues with my 07 jk two door wrangler x. Gears 1-3, a squeak right after disengaging clutch. I have just over 4300 miles on it and it has been doing it for about 1000 miles. I have a two and a half inch suspension lift and 32" tires. Do you have a lift on yours? Have you taken it to the dealer or heard anything on what this could be?
  • khjeepkhjeep Member Posts: 4
    I have also been experiencing a whiling in all the gears. Can you tell me what the difference is between the transmission fluids GL-3 and GL-5? I have found out that in my latest transmission flush they used Havoline Dextron 4 (I believe that is what they called it). Your help is appreciated.
    Which model, year, and transmission do you have?

GL-3 and GL-5 specification oils are used in manual transmissions.
    ATF+4 spec transmission fluid is the only fluid to use in Wrangler automatic transmissions.

Dexron fluid of any spec should never be used in a Wrangler transmission.
    Hi mac24,

It's a 1992 Jeep Wrangler YJ with what I beleive is an AX15 transmission. 5 speed manual.

The service center which just did the transmission flush ~3.5 months ago put in the Havoline Dexron IV fluid. What damage can happen with the Dexron fluid in the transmission?

I just started hearing the whining about 2 weeks ago. This was also after I had put the Jeep into 4WD(high) due to some adverse road conditions (snow, slush, ice) The Jeep has been used primarily for highway miles (~2,000 per month) since October 16, 2006
    Unless you have a four cylinder engine than your transmission is the AX-15,
    You must use a 75-90 GL-3 or GL-4 gear oil, or a synthetic that meets the same standards (Redline MT90 springs to mind).

An ATF (like Dexron) is required for the transfer case, but definitely not your AX-15.
    ATF doesn't have the same shear resistance as a gear oil, so it could be wear on the gears themselves, rather than the bearings, that you're hearing.

When incorrectly using a GL-5, the greater sulphur content has an adverse effect on the brass synchro rings which causes baulking and noisy shifts.
  • ahardy1ahardy1 Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

I have a 2007 Jeep Wrangler X with an automatic transmission. I started having problems with it on 12/24/07. I heard a load "clunk" when I was driving that evening. There was no further noise, so I kept on driving. When I stopped and put it in park and then tried to shift into reverse the gear shift didn't want to move. I tried a second time and managed to get it in reverse. For a short time (maybe a minute) I heard kind of a grinding noise. Then the noise went away and I was able to drive home with no problem. When I got home I tried putting it into reverse and backing up. It was a bit noisy when shifting into reverse, but didn't stick as it did earlier.

I took my Jeep to the dealer, who checked it out and couldn't manage to recreate the problem I had. I drove my Jeep home and had no problems until the following day. When I tried shifting into reverse and stepping on the gas, my Jeep didn't move. I put it back in park and tried reverse again. This time there was no problem. After driving a short distance and parking my Jeep for a few minutes, I tried backing up, this time with no problem. However, after driving forward about 20-30 feet and stopping, I stepped on the gas and my Jeep didn't move. I moved the gear shift up to neutral, then to 2nd, back to drive -- no change. I shifted to reverse and back to drive and was then able to drive home.

My Jeep is currently at the dealer's and again, they can't recreate the problem. They seem to be trying to solve the problem, but haven't been successful, yet.

Has anyone out there had this type of problem with a 2007 Jeep?
  • wheelsdownwheelsdown Member Posts: 250
    This is one of the most detailed descriptions of a problem I have seen.

Try printing it and taking it to the dealer and ask the service writer to give it to the tech. That way, he knows exactly what conditions were and the results. This will be way more valuable to him than the service writers description (which might say only "trouble shifting").

Terry
    Hi Terry,

I can tell you that I have the Wrangler now in another shop for an opinion. The first shop (a dealership) indicated that a complete transmission was required, but could not produce anything to substantiate it. I asked for a sample of the transmission fluid (with the metals in it) and it was not available. They could also not tell me if the metal they saw was steel or brass. Also they suggested a new disc plate for the clutch may be a good thing to change out with the transmission. It was at that point that I decided to get another opinion.

I will tell you as a rule, I make sure that the problem description on the service ticket is to my satisfaction and that I get the service manager or tech (or both) out in the car to hear or feel the problem whenever I nees the car serviced for something other than routine maintenance. I will keep my information going in this post a developments continue -provided they add to the forum.

Finally, I am thinking of trying another transmission flush and ensure that the correct fluid in put into the vehicle to see if that clears up any of the whining sounds.
  • ahardy1ahardy1 Member Posts: 2
    I saw the service writer's description and it was more detailed than "trouble shifting". He did write down the symptoms I described.

I just picked my Jeep up this evening since they still couldn't recreate the problem after trying for 3 days. I even tried to get the problem to occur before I left the dealer's lot. Of course, I couldn't get it to happen. I drove home with no trouble and -- you guessed it -- the minute I pulled into my garage I had trouble with it again.

This time drive seemed to disappear momentarily, then came back and my Jeep lurched forward. Luckily I didn't hit anything. I guess I'm going to try calling the Jeep "800" number and have it towed in. Maybe if I don't try "playing" with the gear shift like I did the last time I had trouble, it will still be in failure mode when they look at it.
  • polar4polar4 Member Posts: 1
    I've been interested in buying another jeep. Mom had one which is now my brothers. It is 93 cherokee. I would prefer a wrangler. However, my brother( who is a mechanic, But can be questionable) thinks that any Jeep before 93(cherokees) are not very good. He is refering to the transmissions. Like I said I prefer Wranglers, so I would love it if anyone could tell me if there are certain years that should be avoided( don't really want to change a transmission soon). Or just like any vehicle ya never know?