Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2004 Limited, or 2008 LE Certified

wegngiswegngis Member Posts: 2
edited July 2014 in Toyota
I'll cut right to the chase. I'm looking at two Siennas. Given that the price will be about the same, here's what I'm looking at:

2004 Limited FWD 59,300 miles
Loaded - minus navigation (includes tow hitch too)

2008 LE FWD 42,000 miles
8-passenger, power door & driver seat, stability & traction control. Toyota Certified, warranty would probably last me until Fall 2014.

I've never had a "limited" anything, I'm used to the basics.

Now, your opinions please. Thanks!

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    No question - I'd go for the 2008.

First of all, you have 266hp, instead of 240 something. So the lesser one will blow the doors off the Limited. :shades:

Plus, it has the important stuff - the power doors and all the safety equipment. Not to mention a full warranty for another 58,000 miles.

Would you rather have a lot of toppings on average ice cream, or just the ones you liked on your favorite ice cream?

I know what I'd pick.
  • wegngiswegngis Member Posts: 2
    Just so you know, the 2004 is awesome, but older. The 2008 is plainer, but newer, more HP and under warranty.
  • hause7hause7 Member Posts: 153
    We had an 04 Limited and it was a great van but now that we have an 07 XLE with the new engine we would not go back. The extra power is enough for us to go with the newer Sienna.
  • yatesjoyatesjo Member Posts: 186
    One thing to be wary of is that 2008 is probably a retired rental. The extended warranty is nice, but take a close look for wear and tear that won't be covered by a warranty.

On the other hand a fully loaded limited would have lots of options that can break and be expensive to repair. There are also improvements in that 4 year period that help make up for the fewer options on the 2008.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    When I was shopping Toyota still had 2006s and 2007s on the lot. The 2006s carried a tempting $2000 rebate, so I could have probably moved up one model, to an XLE.

Still, the powertrain was impossible to pass up. I waited for a 2007. The rebate got to $750 and I bought it.

No regrets. You may or may not use the extra frills, but you'll use the extra power every time you drive it.
  • shark4shark4 Member Posts: 3
    I was in the same boat and bought the 07 LE. The reasons already stated are all valid. At 90,000 miles on the XLE,you will have a big maintenance bill which would add to your cost. The 04 has a timing belt that needs to be changed. The 07 has a timing chain that does not need changing. The 07 has awesome power compared to the 04 as well as more safety features. More features, such as the XLE, will cost more to repair.
    If you must have all the add-ons, spend more and get an 07 Limited or XLE.
  • maxwell10maxwell10 Member Posts: 29
    we bought a used 2008 Toy van with 48K miles the other day and my wife loves it. Has told me at least 5 times how much she enjoys driving the (new to us) van.

we traded in a 2002 model toy van with 123K miles, it was the best vehicle we have ever owned so we got another one.

the new one does drive better, turns shorter and has lots more power.
    got a curt brand rear bumper hitch for $200 and a new set of michelin harmony tires for the van and we are good to go.
This discussion has been closed.