Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Borrego Prices Paid and Buying Experience

kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,217
edited July 2014 in Kia
Tell us about your Borrego shopping experience!

Edmunds Price Checker
Edmunds Lease Calculator
Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Comments

• dolphin5dolphin5 Member Posts: 80
    Car_man,

Looking for 24 and 36 month - 15000 miles/year lease numbers on 2009 4WD Borrego EX and Limited models. Can you let me know what incentives if any can be applied to the lease.

Thank you
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,217
    Ask your Borrego lease questions here!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• pigdocpigdoc Member Posts: 7
    Just purchased a 2009 Borrego EX, V6, 4WD, Luxury pkg for just under $26k after rebates (in DSM area). Salesman was just ok, played good cop/bad cop with sales manager. Really like the car, do NOT like the warranty requirements. They almost require you to do all maintainance at the dealer to keep the warranty good. And they are really expensive.
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    It is illegal to require you to have your vehicle serviced at the dealer to keep the warranty. Just keep records of required service. If they give you any trouble send them a letter and copy it to the states attorney's office. See how they respond.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,217

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi dolphin5. Here's the information that you're looking for. Kia's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 Borrego EX V6 4WD with 15,000 miles per year are .00131 and 37%, respectively.

The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of an '09 Borrego Limited 4WD are .00147 and 36%.

Kia is providing a $2,800 cash incentive on leases of this truck.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • eternityzeternityz Member Posts: 3
    kyfdx, does $26K include all taxes and fees?

I'm about to pull the trigger on a LX, V6, 2WD, + leather for $25K with rebates, taxes, fees included. Is this a bad deal??
  • lsufan1971lsufan1971 Member Posts: 3
    eternityz That is not to bad but you could probably get it down another 750 or so.
  • g0lferg0lfer Member Posts: 14
    Does anyone know if Kia will be marketing a 2010 Borrego in U.S.? There is absolutely no information anywhere. Emailed Kia and got a phone call back from a call center stating they have not received any information either. Also, is it still possible to order a 2009? There are very few V8s left on the lots and none within 300 miles of me!
    Looking for EX, blue, V8, no packages, no running board. Thanks in advance.
  • emmyv02emmyv02 Member Posts: 1
    We just bought a 2009 Kia Borrego tonight and got what seemed like a pretty decent deal. Sticker price (with dealer markups) was $31,745 for a 2WD EX with leather seats and chrome wheels. Walk away price was $24,414 before taxes/title but after the dealer brought the price down and included $3000 customer cash back and $2000 for my trade-in (2001 Chevrolet Impala LS with 176,900 miles on it AND a previous crash record). Dealer was relatively easy to deal with and eager to sell the vehicle....
  • baruebabarueba Member Posts: 2
    According to insideline.com, "No 2010 Borrego is planned for U.S. production, but production continues in other markets. The Borrego will carry on in the U.S. lineup, but for now dealers will continue to sell 2009 stock."

I did not see a Borrego in Kia's booth at the LA Auto Show...was considering a purchase, but not sure if it'll be worth it to buy a car that was in the market for just a year in the US.
    Just bought fully loaded EX v8 for $31,640 in Ohio, having it shipped for about $800.
    No nav or chrome wheels. They take off $3000 as incentive and another $1500 because I am changing from a 4Runner.
  • tangmantangman Member Posts: 127
    Want to consider the v8 Borego since 4runner does not offer v8, but I can not find one in the northwest. Is KIA discontinuing them? When I did a locate, the closest one was in Nevada. Also, anyone out there have a V8 that they can comment on.
    I had exactly the same issues because of no V8 in the new 4Runner. Very few 2009 Borrego V8s around and you cannot order from Kia directly. Most are fully loaded. You can only buy what is on a dealer's lot. I should be getting mine in few weeks and will let the forum know.
  • kb9nvhkb9nvh Member Posts: 4
    New Borrego 2009 LX 4WD W/floor mats (no other options) for $22.5K.
    This was after a 3K incentive and a 1.5K loyalty incentive (4.5K).
    I think this is only about 900 bucks cheaper than the national average according to edmunds and automobilemag.com. According to the later, quite a few have been sold for 1,2 and 3 K less than I paid. My attempts to get a better price locally proved fruitless.

I also, got 5K trade-in for a 2005 Chrysler T&C TOURING, with 125000 miles.
    It was the last Borrego they had left.
    I think the trade I could have gotten $6K private sale so 5K trade in seemed good to me.
    I have had my 2009 Borrego for a week. EX, V8, power everthing, leather, no nav, no chrome, sunroof, heated seats, Bluetooth, no back up camera, no rear entertainment. Searched in vain locally and had to buy through a broker from dealer in Ohio. Delivered to my door on large vehicle transport truck. When it was off loaded, it would not start and would not jump start. Had to call Kia for free towing to dealer who replaced battery. Drop down sunglass holder defective and needs to be replaced too. Otherwise, I am very pleased. Paid $31,640 plus $760 transport. Every bit as good and in some ways better than 2010 4Runner (no V8).
    My random thoughts:
    Too soon to figure gas mileage but prob about as listed.
    Good sound, esp via Sirius/XM.
    Bluetooth working well; others say sound is good, just a little echo-y.
    Rear view mirror buttons can be programmed for garage door and 2 other remotes-nice.
    Presets for steering wheel, outdoor mirrors and seat works well.
    Comfy front seats, heated too. At 6ft 3in I could use a touch more leg room even with seat way back.
    Center console prohibits your right knee from relaxing to the right.
    Generally quiet with road noise and other cars.
    Fog lights are nice.
    Multiple jacks for rechargers, i-pod, etc.
    Instrumentation logical.
    Slow to gear up from a full stop (saves gas?), but does not lack power when you floor it.
    3rd row seats should be an option. Rear cargo with minimal room back there unless the seats are down flat. Should have fabric on their backs because they will probably scratch with luggage.
    Small storage space on floor of rear is nice. Has some of jack parts.
    Can access fuel tank from the side of rear wall. Jack inside opposite rear wall.
    Adjustable mid seats for position and reclining are nice. Same for drop down arm rest between the seats. Enough leg room.
    Back up warning beeps are helpful but only in general distances.
    Automatic 2 wheel to 4 wheel drive is nice and smooth changeover.
    Running boards - I dislike, but are not removable. Seem narrower and I can step over them without always rubbing pantleg on them.

So, time will tell whether it will hold up. Service manager at Kia said Kias since mid 2006 have been very reliable and much better than the Jeep/Chrysler vehicles when he worked there. He sees hardly any Borregos, but then they did not sell a lot of them.
    I have had my 2009 Borrego for a week. EX, V8, power everthing, leather, no nav, no chrome, sunroof, heated seats, Bluetooth, no back up camera, no rear entertainment. Searched in vain locally and had to buy through a broker from dealer in Ohio. Delivered to my door on large vehicle transport truck. When it was off loaded, it would not start and would not jump start. Had to call Kia for free towing to dealer who replaced battery. Drop down sunglass holder defective and needs to be replaced too. Otherwise, I am very pleased. Paid $31,640 plus $760 transport. Every bit as good and in some ways better than 2010 4Runner (no V8).
    My random thoughts:
    Too soon to figure gas mileage but prob about as listed.
    Good sound, esp via Sirius/XM.
    Bluetooth working well; others say sound is good, just a little echo-y.
    Rear view mirror buttons can be programmed for garage door and 2 other remotes-nice.
    Presets for steering wheel, outdoor mirrors and seat works well.
    Comfy front seats, heated too. At 6ft 3in I could use a touch more leg room even with seat way back.
    Center console prohibits your right knee from relaxing to the right.
    Generally quiet with road noise and other cars.
    Fog lights are nice.
    Multiple jacks for rechargers, i-pod, etc.
    Instrumentation logical.
    Slow to gear up from a full stop (saves gas?), but does not lack power when you floor it.
    3rd row seats should be an option. Rear cargo with minimal room back there unless the seats are down flat. Should have fabric on their backs because they will probably scratch with luggage.
    Small storage space on floor of rear is nice. Has some of jack parts.
    Can access fuel tank from the side of rear wall. Jack inside opposite rear wall.
    Adjustable mid seats for position and reclining are nice. Same for drop down arm rest between the seats. Enough leg room.
    Back up warning beeps are helpful but only in general distances.
    Automatic 2 wheel to 4 wheel drive is nice and smooth changeover.
    Running boards - I dislike, but are not removable. Seem narrower and I can step over them without always rubbing pantleg on them.

So, time will tell whether it will hold up. Service manager at Kia said Kias since mid 2006 have been very reliable and much better than the Jeep/Chrysler vehicles when he worked there. He sees hardly any Borregos, but then they did not sell a lot of them.
    Posted on Kia board too.
  • gamecockbradgamecockbrad Member Posts: 2
    The last car I had was a 99 4Runner SR5 before I traded it in for a new Borrego. I shopped around for a month and I never could find a deal that was close to what the Borrego offered for the price. Heck, the new 4Runner SR5 was out the door $32k and some change (and that's with little options). So needless to say, never thought I would say this...I am an owner of a KIA. And the car is awesome. The ride is smooth, lots of room, power. I have read some reviews that stated lots of noise when going over rough roads and that does remain true but its not all too bad. That being said, it is sad that they aren't bringing them back to the US next year. It is an amazing SUV. Here is how my experience went.

New 2009 EX Limited 4x2 V8 out the door after $2500 trade = $24488

It is the typical limited package that includes everything except the DVD player. Nav, chrome, you name it, it has it. I just can't believe that the dealer worked such a deal out. He will be earning my business again in 3 - 5 months because we will be buying the new Sorento for my wife. Never again will I say I got a $39,000 for $24,488.
  • pappyquebec68pappyquebec68 Member Posts: 1
    I'll keep it nice and simple:

Copperhead paint scheme, luxury package, 17" chrome wheels, bluetooth and crossbars. Bought it in mid Nov '09, paid $27,772...seems to be the national average these days. The dealers first offer was 28,900+.

We all know you can find waaaaaaaaay better wheels, but i didn't plan on getting any ever, so i just stuck with the ones that were already there, makes it look just a bit better. Bluetooth seemed cheesy at first, but new laws in OR make it necessary, so turned out to be nice. I still get a lot of crap at work for owning a KIA, especially since Borrego translates to "yearling lamb" or "sheep", but that sure beats getting into a $40,000 "big name" SUV that has the same features.
  • pk45pk45 Member Posts: 3
    Could you give more info on your purchase. I have a quote on a 2009 EX V6 sticker is $30,390 my quote is under $23,000. Your deal seems incredible. I would rather have the V8. You say out the door (tax, tag, dealer fees,) for $24,488. Where did you get this deal.
    He has a trade involved to complicate the issue.
    Sounds like you have a good deal for an EX less than 23K. Are the rebates still in place and does your price include rebates/incentives/trade ect.

I paid, for a base 4X4 with floor mats, LX for 22.5K after 4.5K rebates. l Guess I got ripped...dang!! The price sites showed me about 900 bucks lower than average.
    Oh, to complicate my deal I traded a 2005 town and country with 125K miles and getting worn for 5K. Price before tax was 17.5K. Tax will be paid by uncle sam when I do my taxes.
  • disturbed1160disturbed1160 Member Posts: 1
    Sticker price was 32,000$, traded a 99 honda crv (145,000 miles so-so condition) walked out the door for 20,135$. I dont know why all of you want a V8, the only difference is for towing, really the gearing is better in the V6 and has better pickup. Almost identical gas mileage. Have had know for almost a year, only problems have been, a bad tire (which they replaced), the rear mirror was loose.

We have been really happy with the purchase have used it on a 6 hour trip, the ride was very comfortable. Overall the borrego EX V6 has been roomy, sporty, and easy to drive. We have not experienced any major problems at this time and still love the dark blue kia we now own.
    So, what do you think they gave you for the CRV maybe 2 or 3K. Sounds like a heck of a deal..wish I could have gotten an EX for that kind of money.

Trade in's always fog up the deal but it seems like you got yours for 22K or 23K. I think I paid 22.5K and then got 5K for my van..if the van was worth more then I paid more but I really think 5K for a 125k mile 2005 van was a reasonable trade in price and I doubt they would get any more than that at auction (unless someone wanted to turn back the odometer..).
  • alswoalswo Member Posts: 1
    Congratulations!! Both you got an awesome deal@@.
    I've been just offered 25,600$ OTD including tax and fees for EX V6 w/ no option which has around 29,300$ price tag from dealer at LA last week. The price was [INVOICE - 3,000 customer cashback - 1,500 competitive bonus - some dealer incentive + tax and fees].
    I think that is not a decent deal, much above yours. Please let me know where did you get it? envkwon@gmail.com
    The other dealer I called was at 24.7K for an EX +tax and was about 23.6K on an LX like what I got for 22.5K. For me, I'm in the indianapolis area
  • candycainecandycaine Member Posts: 2
    Got an 09 Borrego LX with leather, DVD, backup camera, bluetooth for $25600 out the door. Great experience at the dealership in Cincinnati - felt right at home. Liking my deal, but wondering if I could've done better? Wanted the premium package but too expensive for my tastes... any comments are appreciated, thanks!
  • flash828flash828 Member Posts: 3
    Where in Cincinnati?? Did you have any trade in, extra rebates?
  • candycainecandycaine Member Posts: 2
    Kings Kia at the Kings Auto Mall. Paid cash, and got a $3K rebate to boot. No trade-in.
  • flash828flash828 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks, I'll check them out (about a 40 min drive). Sent them an email to see what installed options, if any, are in there LX's. According to web site the only EX is an 8 Cylinder.
  • rick2456rick2456 Member Posts: 320
    FYI... the running boards (which I hate) are removeable and quite easy to remove. They just unbolt. I had the dealer remove them and I sold mine on ebay.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    If you bought a Kia in the past year, a reporter wants to hear about your decision and your experience to date. Please email pr@edmunds.com with your contact info before Saturday, March 27, 2010.
This discussion has been closed.