Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Endeavor Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• wyoming4wyoming4 Member Posts: 1
    My 2007 Toyota Tacoma owners manual says to change the spark plugs and transmission fluid every 30,000 miles. I have heard that unleaded gas does not foul the spark plugs significantly. Do they need to be changed?
  • eltepaeltepa Member Posts: 2
    i owne a 2004 endeavor and ther is no light to illuminate.(their not light it)
  • eltepaeltepa Member Posts: 2
    i owen a 2004 (made Apr. 2003) and i whant to know how to locate the cabin air filter. i have check behind the glove compartment and don't seem to be their. have anyone done this already
  • ataristyleataristyle Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the help. I poked right behind the hole in the firewall with some wire and was able to get it to drain. Test ride didn't have the water hitting the fan around turns either.
  • joeboo812joeboo812 Member Posts: 1
    I've got a 2007 SE and love it except that the sunroof gets "out of adjustment" as the dealer puts it. The road noise was not bad at all initially but seems to get progressively worse until we have the dealer adjust it. We've had it done twice and the noise eventually returns, even with limted or no use of the sunroof. There is no water leakage, just the wind noise. Is this an adjustment that I can do myself? Should this be recurring or is there something more than just "being out of adjustment"?
  • bostonmahtybostonmahty Member Posts: 2
    :confuse: I have a 2005 Endeavor with 48K miles and I love it. That was until recently when I noticed a signifigant loss in acceleration and a constant "rattling" sound while traveling under 30 mph or more noticibly driving up a hill. It sounds as though it's coming from the pan. I'm unaware of any leaks and I'm not in a need of an oil change. Some one had mentioned something about the transmission and I most admit I'm not in th emood to be screwed so I'm reluctant about bringing it in for a diagnostic test just to be charged for them to confirm what I might suspect.

Any help?? Besides that issue, I notice a foul egg smell from time to time coming out of the exhaust but I think it's specific to where I get gas. Or is it my Cat. Converter?

Thanks a bunch
  • toemahstoemahs Member Posts: 2
    This reminds me of the old "unintended acceleration" bogeyman that allegedly plagued Audi some 25 years ago. It turned out that IN EVERY CASE, that the driver had their foot on the accelerator! It is physically impossible to overcome the braking force generated by four disc brakes. You had your foot on the gas. Period. Admit it, and then figure out why. ( Audi eventually admitted that their gas and brake pedals were closer together than most American drivers were accustomed to.) And how can a Mitsu Endeavor "rev up to 80 mph" in the space between the car wash exit and Main St (50 yards, maybe?)? Again, absolutely impossible, unless maybe you have about 700 horsepower under your hood.
  • dthomas4dthomas4 Member Posts: 6
    Can anyone tell me where the drain plug is on the Mitsubishi Endeavor? my air conditioner is draining to the floorboards instead of outside the car.
  • chazmanchazman Member Posts: 3
    My Endeavor with 17k on it whenever it sits for a couple of days when i first start it up the engine rattles as though the top half is starving for oil. I know this is not good, almost like a dry start until the oil gets pumping. What could be the problem. Im useing 5w 20 oil and its full, never low and doesnt leak. Should i get this checked out with the dealership?
  • tfunk1tfunk1 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem where water collects on the driver's side floor. I have pulled up the carpet so many times, the foam pads have all ripped off, but I have finally found where the water is coming from. The dealer said there is a manufacturer statement about the problem but like everyone else said it costs about $900 to fix it, with a $5 dromet that gets debris in it then the water has nowhere to go but back into the car. I found the hole stuck a wire in there and it felt like I went through something but the water is still coming in. My question is do you know how far I can stick the wire in, and is there anything that can be damaged by the wire?
  • ccarl1ccarl1 Member Posts: 7
    2004 Mitsubishi Endeavor failed emissions test per trouble code PO453: EVAP Control System Pressure Sensor. Shop said fuel tank pressure sensor, $104.98.(possibly same thing), but that to replace it, they have to lower the fuel tank, thereby a large labor cost $265.44, so with diagnostic ($82.95) total is $478.76 (incl tx). Does this replacement really involve such labor (stupid place then to put a sensor) and is this then a reasonable estimate. The part will be in Monday, 28th, so I hope to know by then whether to proceed at this place.
    Thanks for any info you can give me
  • peteconnellpeteconnell Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 black endeavor and the paint on the hood and roof of the car is coming off. The car looks awful and Mitsubishi is not going to cover the new paint job that is obviously needed. I've seen many other complaints online and I'm going to persue this further...
  • jwiz1jwiz1 Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2004 Endeavor as well and had a problem with the liftgate locks. Just came out of nowhere. Intermittent for about a month and then it went out for good. The problem was an actuator on the lock for the glass that also wiped out the lift gate as well. Went to an independent shop and they replaced the glass door lock assembly and no problems since. Repair was $225 parts and labor - so not real expensive for a 6 year old car.
  • sailnteachersailnteacher Member Posts: 1
    I have the same exact endeavor.. with the same exact problem.. I have just contacted Katriel Law firm to join the suit. Good luck !!!
  • jcrparrisjcrparris Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I bought a cabin air filter, I removed the glove box and the cover ro show where the filter goes, but for the life of me I cannot find out how to remove the old filter, the directions in the filter box were for an older year, I really need help with this, thanks
  • herewegoherewego Member Posts: 9
    I have an 04 with 115,000 miles. Mine had the same symptoms as you describe. My check engine light just went on 11/12/09 and ran extremely rough all of a sudden and did not go away. The coil/Fuel Injector had to be replaced by spark plug #3. $733. Picking up my car today. Hopefully that took care of the problem. I will let you know if it didn't.
  • herewegoherewego Member Posts: 9
    PO303 - cylinder 3 misfire
  • cgb12cgb12 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 04' Endeavor with 75,000 miles. Up until now the car has been perfect but about 2 months ago I started getting a strange vibration when I am accelerating slowly and hit between 30-40 mph. Tires, alignment and the drive shaft have been ruled out and now the dealership is thinking that it has something to do with the transmission. Has anyone had this problem with their car? I have been in been in cars with bad transmissions before and they always presented as more of a jumping type of sensation when the gears had trouble but this almost feels as if I am driving through an earthquake but only betwen 30-40 mph. Thank you!
  • mits1mits1 Member Posts: 6
    I don't know if you have had your vehicle fixed yet, however if your door locks are working intermittantly may be due to a weakened harness in the drivers door. i have seen it several times. the wires break from constant bending, may have noticed they may have worked with door open and not closed or visa versa
    they were not factory installed, when you purchase a filter you will need to cut out the evaporator case to install the filter. The filter will come with a cover for the case
    You are describing a torque convertor shudder, Flush your transmission with at least 12 quarts of atf spIII, which is factory fill automatic transmission fluid. It is pricey but it is the only one that is worth it. The shudder may take a couple of hundred miles to go away. technically if it doesn't go away then you need a torque converter but i have fixed 100's of them and never replaced one, just make sure you flush with factory fluid
    it is located just above your feet on drivers side and yes it supposed to drain outside, the foam seal is deteriorated
  • bphallbphall Member Posts: 3
    I haven't gotten my vehicle fixed yet, but now that it's colder outside, the electric locks for all doors are working just like they should. It seems when the heat of the summer comes around is when they stop working.
  • rolac2004rolac2004 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with my 2007endeover I wonder is there is something I can check my self
  • ttimmerttimmer Member Posts: 1
    Have 75K miles. Service engine soon light has come on. No manual to look up whether this is basic mileage pm reminder or something more serious. Any clue?
  • phamapphamap Member Posts: 3
    Check your gas cap to see if it's tight. If it is, then it's one of your sensors, usually the oxygen sensor is out.
  • bostonmahtybostonmahty Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

I only have 50k on my endeavor however my check engine light came on out of nowhere so I took it to the local autoparts store, (autozone) and they give you the diagnostic tester which you just plug into the side part of the dashboard and it'll let you know the error code. In my case, it was just the matter of tightening the gas cap cover. I guess if not securely fastened, then it'll set off the check engine light.
  • ram27ram27 Member Posts: 1
    I have 96,000 miles on the truck and the paint has totally faded on the truck, I need to know what I can do, should I get a lawyer and file a class action against the company or what?
  • hellcat51hellcat51 Member Posts: 30
    I have a 2004 XLS AWD with 37,000 miles on it and I seem to be experiencing 'hard downshifts'. Had the dealer do a transmission flush and fill and it didn't seem to improve any. Any ideas?
  • jeffopdxjeffopdx Member Posts: 1
    How has this custom drain worked out for you gert? Will you please provide more detail, on how you implemented this solution? Where did you drill the drain hole, and where exactly did you connect the drain tube? Did it solve the problem permanently?
  • jclijcli Member Posts: 4
    try having the dealer flash (reload) the trans computer

had that done on mine (2004.5 LS AWD) but didn't make a diff. mine did run better after a flush & fill but it has 55,000
    better than spending $300 like I just did because someone swap 2 vac lines when they took the cover off for a spark plug change

didn't set off ck eng light until almost 6,000 miles later but would not start after fillup and running bad as well as bad gas mileage
    if you have DRL get long life (LL) type bulbs from Philips, Sylvania, etc
  • stu14stu14 Member Posts: 1
    I have just spent an hour looking for the hole to clear out, no luck finding it, is it under the black insulation looking stuff? Are the brake lines big and rubber or metal? Any help would be grateful.
    Anyone have an throttle body issues? What would be the symptoms of a dirty or defective one? I have a 2004 XLS AWD with 37,000 miles on it. The gas pedal seems a little touchy and she doesn't coast to a stop smoothly anymore. Been happening for 2 years now. Any suggestions are welcome. Already had the transmission flush and fill done too.
  • marioivanmarioivan Member Posts: 1
    my 2005 endeavor started to vibrate after a rear end accident. It does it when driving between 30 to 40 miles. My mechanic balanced the wheels and changed the engine mounts but continues do shake as before.

What should i try next?
  • rob450rob450 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem, I replace the transmission, the transfer case and the left rear axle, new tires. It is not the transmission, I was convinced by multiple mechanics that the issue was the transmission. I think that the issue may be on the drive shaft. Please let us know if you found what the issue is
  • kozikowskikozikowski Member Posts: 19
    Purchased a 2006 Endeavor LS over the weekend w/91K miles. The car is very nice and seemed like a good deal for $7500. The timing belt has not been replaced and the recommendations seem to be that it is 30K miles overdue with a cost range of $900-1800 (including t-belt, water pump, accessory belts, hoses, seals, coolant flush and 6-8 hours of labor). My local indy shop checked Alldata which shows this being recommended at 100K miles. While I don't want to push my luck past 100K, it would be great if I could put off this expense for a few months.

Also, has anyone had their spark plugs replaced (105K miles according to Alldata). This is also around $500 since the intake manifold needs to be removed.
    Anybody have this done? If so, what were the symptoms and did it help? I believe it came out July 2005. I have a 2004 XLS AWD with 38,000 miles on it.
  • the_whopperthe_whopper Member Posts: 1
    2004 XLS AWD Transmission went out at 103,000...3,000 miles passed the powertrain warranty. Been contacting Mitsubishi (of North America) directly to get the issue resolved. My transmission exhibited symptoms back mid-2009, should have pushed to have it replaced then but the issue was sporadic. Symptoms were....hard shifts, 3-5 seconds delay in engaging in gear. Right before it broke down there was a horrid burning smell, which was the transmission fluid. Will keep everyone posted...
  • 20142014 Member Posts: 1
    My 2008 Mitsubishi Endeavor check engine and traction control lights are on. The car sputters. Any ideas? Cylinder 6 misfire code.

I have a 2008 Mitsubishi Endeavor LS awd with 28,000 miles.
  • applewinsapplewins Member Posts: 4
    You might want to double check when the belt is supposed to be changed. Everything I've read, it's 60,000 mile. I changed the plugs myself, but not fun. As far as the belt goes, I went to a local foreign car repair shop. Waterpump, Goodyear belt, and everything else associated with it, $488.00.
    Mistubishi dealer wanter $920.00
  • brenda18brenda18 Member Posts: 6
    If you want to double check the code(s) Auto Zone offers free computer code reads.
    I thought Mitsubishi was unloading the Endeavor and would not make any new models. What is the latest news?
    Does anyone know of a inexpensive source for brake system parts for a 2005 Endeavor?
  • cjfelixcjfelix Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Mit Endeavor which I love but the transmission just went. Just checking to see if worth fixing or not. Any body else out there have transmission issue.
    edited April 2010
    I also have a 2004 XLS AWD with 38K. What were the symptoms? Mine is OK until it gets warmed up. Then it's jerky and downshifts hard. Dealer says no problem with it but it's been getting worse for 2 years now. I think it is the transmission but maybe a sticky throttle body or something else? Any ideas are welcome!
  • bsulbsul Member Posts: 1
    I have a silver 04 Endeavor with the paint peeling and fading on the top and the hood. It looks horrible and will cost thousands to repaint. I'm embarrassed to drive it but don't want to buy a new car when this one is just paid off. It started fading and the clear coat peeling almost two years ago. The dealership that I bought it from sold out not long after I bought it and is on its second set of owners since. Is there something being done about this?
  • 08endeavorawd08endeavorawd Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2010
    I have a 08 Endeavor....Can't seem to find where the cabin filter is located. I took the glove box apart because I thought it would be there but not. Anyone have a clue?
  • 08endeavorawd08endeavorawd Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2010
    Bought my 08 endeavor with 16k miles and drive shaft went bad a couple thousand miles later. Dealer replaced it under warranty. Mechanic said that the past few years of endeavors have had alot of drive shaft problems(the lube inside). Mine was just squeeling and noises get to me. Also, when I get to about 60 MPH, there is a slight humming noise/feel coming from the rear transfer case but I didn't get that looked at.