Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Problems with the fuel tank vapor canister, 09 Mariner

lieselliesel Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Mercury
Hi all. I bought a brand-new 09 Mercury Mariner in May. Since then, it has died on me twice while idling. The first time, I thought it was just a fluke. The second time, yesterday, I took it to the dealership. Now they are telling me that the fuel tank vapor canister has raw fuel in it and that the only way this could have happened is by topping off the gas when fueling, which I never do and have never done. They are refusing to honor the warranty and telling me that I have to pay $400 to fix the problem. The vehicle has less than 10,000 miles on it and they won't pay for the fix. I'm flabbergasted. Anyone else have the same problem or have any ideas on what I can do? Any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Now they are telling me that the fuel tank vapor canister has raw fuel in it and that the only way this could have happened is by topping off the gas when fueling...

Did they physically remove and inspect the canister to arrive at that determination? If raw fuel can get into the canister by topping off then either the assembly is defective or the design is flawed. It also seems to me that $400 is rather exorbitant. The canister itself should be about $100 and I can't see it taking three or four hours a mechanics' time to replace it.

Does anyone have direct experience with this kind of problem?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • lieselliesel Member Posts: 3
    I'm not sure if they removed it but I completely agree on both points. I've taken it to Ford customer service but it doesn't seem like I'm getting anywhere. They said they *may* be able to offer "financial assistance", whatever that means. I just want the warranty honored. I've never topped it off so I imagine there is something else wrong with the vehicle, i.e. design flaw as you said. It's just going to keep happening.
  • lieselliesel Member Posts: 3
    Also, they are telling me it will cost $300 for the fuel tank vapor canister and $100 for labor. I called after three hours of it being in the shop to check if they had figured it out yet, they said they couldn't find anything wrong. They called back about 20 min later and told us the problem. Seems to me like they are trying to find a way to "stick it to us" if you know what I mean. Ick...Insult to injury, my husband drives a new 2010 ford fusion sport and we took my mother-in-law to the same dealership because of our good experience. She ended up with a new Edge. Never again.
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    Demand to see the General Manager. Your family purchased three vehicles at that dealership lately. They had better look after you. If they don't, I am sure another Ford or Mercury dealership would like your business.
This discussion has been closed.