Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• Options
    colorado1974colorado1974 Member Posts: 177
    My grandparents live just north of the Safeway at Silver Lake. Small world.

First tank of fuel with my Rubi yielded 18 mpg with 75% city driving. I am actually impressed since I drive 8 blocks to work and back. One other thing I am amazed at is how fast it warms up on a cold day. It reaches optimum temperature within 3 or 4 minutes of idling. Come to think of it, my wife's liberty warms up just as fast.
  • Options
    texasjeeptexasjeep Member Posts: 270
    I don't think warn makes a tranny skid. Jeeps come with a tranny skid but you can replace it or you can add a engine skid right in front of it.

I have mopar steering box skid, teraflex gas skid, 2.5" rancho suspension, 1" MORE motor mount lift, 1.25" JKS body lift, rims, 32 BFG A/Ts, CB and spare tire mounted bike rack which I don't care for. I would rather have one mounted from the reciever. Don't use my carpet and I have huskey liners.
    Soon I hope to regear, add ARBs front and rear, a belt driven on board air, flat skid and SYE.
  • Options
    Jeep offers a factory front and rear Danas with 4.92 gears and a trac-lock.

I meant to say the engine skid, sorry. Nobody has installed the tummy tucker low profile skid plate eh?
  • Options
    feedback forum for Jeep to be put on the homepage

This is the link that we need to use to tell Edmunds.com to put Jeep back on the town hall homepage. It's frustrating that Jeep gets more posts than most other makes but we have to click 5 times to get here. I have already filled out the form 11 times.
  • Options
    gman,
    I don't have a problem with my 4cyc truck at all. My 4 cyc Jeep I couldn't stand though. The 6cyc Jeep is nice for me. I seem to average 15mpg. I drive a little fast on freeways and have a lift and 32s though. The poor aerodynamics starts to really show in gas mileage when you drive faster.

mac,
    You are probably right then. I was just going by driving other autos and assumed the wrangler was similiar.
  • Options
    Colorado1974,
    Here is another option for a flat tranny skid. I like how it is 2 pieces.
    http://tinyurl.com/zo6k
    The teraflex one does not seem to hold up very well.
    When I get one, I am probably getting one from a local guy.
    So far I have only heard good things about the tummy tucker but I have no first hand experience.

If you are only wanting to have less clicks, then bookmark this page.
    http://tinyurl.com/zo81
    One click to the wrangler discussion. Plus you see all the other wrangler discussions to check out.
  • Options
    However it is a matter of priciple that Jeep should be on the front town hall page. It gets twice the hits that Acura, Infinity or volvo get. I feel that edmunds should put it there.
  • Options
    mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    That certainly slipped under my radar, could you provide me with a link please.
  • Options
    Sorry, it was a 4.56 gears not the 4.92.

rear part number is 5086623ab, dealer cost $577, retail is $862.

front part number is 5086618aa, dealer cost is $646, retail is $1080.
  • Options
    Thanks, I thought they didn't drop any lower than that. I don't imagine they retail too many at that price!
  • Options
    twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    Stuff I've done or added to my '01 Sport

Functional off-road stuff:
    - JKS disconnects
    - 31x10.5 trXus MTs
    - Kilby gas tank skid
    - Skid Row engine skid
    - Skid Row steering box skid
    - ARB compressor
    - Staun deflators

Things that make the Jeep better as a DD:
    - heated front seats
    - Painless Aux fuse panel for accesories
    - speaker upgrades (Boston NX 5.25"F and 6.5"R) JLAudio 6w0 in factory console on a separate amp.
    - IPF e-code lenses
    - bikini, duster, and windjammer combo
    - soft doors for summer
    - Energy poly anti-sway bar bushings

Things to be installed (sitting in my basement or waiting to be picked up):
    - Rubicon flares
    - Rear swing out tire carrier/bumper

Things on the short list:
    - OME lift
    - SYE
    - small body lift and belly up
    - winch

Down the road:
    - ARBs F/R and regear at the same time

Almost embarrased to admit it in public, but the Jeep has been sitting for the last three weeks due to work and the holidays. Need to pull it out this week and put a wreath on the grille to play Santa.

-twylie
  • Options
    I know we all love our Jeeps, but with all the new owners and prospective owners recently, I thought it might be useful for some of the long-timers to list any problems that we've had so we keep the information balanced. Admittedly, there have not been any real horror stories I remember (the one that was bad news eventually got bought back I think), but I'll list the couple of issues I've had in almost 3 years of ownership ('01 Sport).

- bad starter @ 8k miles. This was an intermittant problem, but once I was able to finally diagnose it (crawl under the jeep and tap it with a rubber mallet while my wife tried to start it), the servicing dealer replaced it the next week with no issues since.
    - rear main seal leaking @ 13k miles. Not a leak such that I get oil in the garage, but more of a weeping down the back side of the engine. I am holding out until spring to get it replaced right before my warranty expires. My understanding is this is a common probelm with the 4.0, but not terribly difficult or expensive to remedy.

That's it for me. My TJ has less than 19k miles on it now, but it has been used enough to have proven itself as capable and fun in the 33 months we've had it. It continues to put a smile on my face when I drive it and is still much more competant off-road than its driver :-)

-twylie
  • Options
    1: Master cylinder reservoir replaced during first week of ownership. It would continually leak from under the cap and turned out to be a faulty moulding of the reservoir.

2: Exhaust manifold cracked at around 30k and was replaced under warranty. Design was subsequently changed and current vehicles no longer have what was a fairly common problem.

3: Just before 36k a rear axle shaft seal started to leak. Replaced under warranty along with the wheel bearing.

4: Around 40k the steering pump bearing started to whine. Replaced it myself for $5.

5: About 45k I replaced a rear wheel cylinder which wasn't actually leaking but was damp under the boot. Didn't like the look of it, so I replaced it with one from AutoZone for $12.

Other than that I just do routine maintenance at the minimum recommended intervals (B schedule).
  • Options
    I have had to major problems with my older 97 TJ. First, I had to replace the air filter after the first 24,000 miles. Oh, yeah and the oil changes, they never seemed to go away, every 5000 miles with synthetic. I wish that Jeep could do something about that. :-)

Then I traded it in this week for a new 04 Khaki Rubicon, pre-trail rated badge.
  • Options
    redkey1redkey1 Member Posts: 270
    Do you guys notice more rattles in the cold?

The driver's side dash, just above the steering column, makes loud cracking sounds now that it is cold out, so loud in fact that my fiancee asked "What the #$@! is that noise, is your jeep falling apart!"
  • Options
    erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    I've noticed our 97 TJ's instrument cluster is a bit loose. You may want to see if it that is the case.

As for problems, I dunno what happened before, but I've had to fix:

1. Exhaust Manifold - typical issue with 97's
    2. Catalytic - died at 85,000
    3. Valve Cover - loose cuz some idiot didn't tighten it properly
    4. Pinion seal leaks from front diff
    5. Radiator leak - replaced it with a real metal one, no plastic

It's been going well since my repairs. I dont' consider oil changes and other fluid changes repairs as they extend the life. :)

-Paul
  • Options
    tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Thelma Jane has had only three minor problems that were fixed under warranty with no hassle.

The hard top paint blistered and peeled just above the windshield. DC paid the body shop of my choice to repaint the whole top. (The dealer where I bought her did not have their own body shop.)

I had a leak that the TJ's are famous for. The passenger side floor board would get a pool of water in it after a rain. Turned out to be the lack of a good seal around the heater box where it goes through the fire wall. Dealer fixed it in one visit. No problem since then with that.

Turn signals quit working, and the stalk had to be replaced. One trip to diagnose the problem, and one trip after the part came in.

All of those problems were within the first few months after I got Thelma Jane, and she has been trouble-free ever since.

I have received nothing but friendly, efficient service from the dealer where I bought her and the dealer where I had the turn signal stalk replaced (handier for me to go there, since it is in the same town where I work).

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter is hoping to interview someone who is planning to buy a new vehicle in the next three months. If you are interested, please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com by January 1, 2003 with your name and daytime contact information.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    Here's where I'm at with my mods for Thelma Jane:

2" Procomp spring and shock lift
    31 x 10.50 BFG Mud Terrain T/A KM tires
    AR767 15" x 8" wheels with 4" Backspacing
    Detroit Soft Locker in the rear
    Warn 9.5 Ti winch
    Kilby gas tank skid
    Sun Performance rocker guards
    Teraflex steering box skid

Hope to someday have ARB lockers front and back and bigger lift and tires.

Tom

• Options
    chasingericachasingerica Member Posts: 102
    Well since I just got Amy Yesterday I haven't done any mods to her :) Though I must admit that I was looking around at some sites seeing what some used half doors would run me. I have no money to spend right now but I figure that it can't hurt to have an idea. If I do it through the dealer it's going to be around $2K.

As I've said before I've never owned a 5spd before but I must admit that I'm getting to love it. I still stall it once here and there, just need a little more time. The thing I'm learning to love is using the gears and engine to control the downhill speed. Where I live the back roads are all hills and it's so much nicer to just drop it into third and let it idle down the hill instead of having to worry about breaking and everything.

Well just had to get a post in today, so there it is.

Still working on those pictures, the weather was horrible here today. Had rain, sleet, and snow :) I'm not complaining though I love this time of year.

Tony
  • Options
    smurf6smurf6 Member Posts: 27
    I bought Tweety on December 19th, 2003. In the past year, I have had the following issues addressed:
    - at the 3000 mile checkup - the dealership informed me that the rear main seal appeared to be beginning to leak. No oil on the garage floor that I noticed. Fixed under warranty a few weeks later (had to order a part).
    - When I picked up the Jeep from the repair, noticed the clutch was clicking. Fixed under warranty - they replaced the clutch master and slave assembly and have had no further issues (had to order the parts).
    - They also adjusted the linkage on the 4 wheel drive handle (I was having a very difficult time getting Tweety into 4 wheel drive - literally had to pull over to argue with the handle (I won). Works like a charm now (so far two snowstorms and no arguments).
    - Also had to have the lock adjusted on the console between the seats as it wouldn't lock.

All of the repairs have been covered under warranty. The dealership I purchased Tweety from has been a pleasure to work with so far.
    I have no complaints. There are always some hiccups with a new vehicle. Love my Jeep.

Only modification if you can call it that so far has been adding a hitch. New headlights are in my future however.
  • Options
    You probably already know this, but just in case...

DO NOT USE THE CLUTCH TO HOLD YOUR JEEP ON A HILL!

When you have to stop at a light or for whatever reason, and the Jeep wants to roll backwards when the clutch is in, you are NOT supposed to try to hold the Jeep by letting the clutch partially out! That will wear out a clutch in no time.

Just thought it wouldn't hurt to point that out.

Tom

• Options
    jptjjptj Member Posts: 53
    Replace the Radiator 78k, AC repaired at 141K
    Walt
  • Options
    Thelma Jane's mileage actually improved a little as she broke in, but then the mileage dropped as the mods went on. The bigger tires and the extra weight due to the rocker guards, gas tank skid, winch, etc. have caused the gas mileage to go down. Even correcting for the tire diameter, when I calculate gas mileage, it is not as good as it used to be.

Speaking of tire diameter, it seems that my speedometer is actually closer to being correct with the bigger tires.

Tom

• Options
    -The a/c and maybe the radio did not work when I picked it up. The salesman claimed that is part of the prep work that was not done yet. It was fixed before I left with it.
    -A/C compressor went out and it was replaced under warranty.
    -The rear passenger side axle seal leaked. Fixed under warranty with no problems. They said the axle shaft was warped.
    -Rear main seal leak. Fixed under warranty.
    -I had a popping noise from the rear. Dealer blamed the suspension lift. Had it checked and it was fine. I brought it back to the dealer and they still blamed the suspension lift and would not open the diff. I took it somewhere else and the spider gears were replaced.
  • Options
    On my Grand Cherokee, my only issues have been with the transmission leaks. Pinion seal leaks, like on the TJ. After about 4 or 5 visits for repeated leaks, they finally realized I wasn't going away, so they fixed it right and I haven't been back for that since.

I also have an issue with the front brakes/calipers on the GC. I hear there is a TSB for the brakes, which involves replacing the rotors and calipers (something about caliper retraction), so I may do that myself in the spring with aftermarket brakes.

But overall, I've loved our GC as much as our TJ. I just need some AT's on it, instead of the street tires. I've found the BFG AT KO's are fairly quiet on the road, probably quieter than the Dueler HT's on the GC.

-Paul
  • Options
    mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    If you are talking about the Pinon Pines near Frazier Park, I even know which house it was. The lot has never been re-built. I moved up to Frazier Park several years after that incident, but many talk about it - it was very lucky that the fire didn't spread beyond 2 homes.

My '98 Sport is bone stock. When I bought it I had planned on a lift and lockers after the warranty wore off, but by then I realized that I didn't really need them for what I was doing (of course, I'd probably do more if I had them...). I get a pretty consistent 20 mpg with almost all freeway/high speed rural roads with large elevation gains (I live at about 6,000 feet and work at sea level), traveling under 70 mph in no wind. If it is windy or I go faster than 70, forget the gas mileage.

I had to replace my exhaust manifold (with the redesigned part!), the fuel filler tube, and had the dash gauge problem common with my model year (dash gauges would disappear and the air bag light would come on - intermittent problem. No parts needed to fix, did it myself with a friend's help). I have 2 unresolved issues - my AC needs servicing, and my back tailgate rattles - partly because the rubber has dried out and partly because three screws keep rattling loose.

When my Noble Black Steed was about 6 months old, we were involved in an accident on I405 (hit the wall and Toyota pickup that was crossing into my lane right in front of me). 2 new rims, 4 new tires, new running board, new front side panels, both sides, and both side mirrors, and a U joint. I'm glad it wasn't my insurance paying for all that!

It has over 114,000 miles on the odometer and is still going strong.
  • Options
    One suggestion for the screws that keep coming loose. Pick up a small tube of Lok-Tite from the auto parts store. You'll remove the bolt and apply a small bit on the threads before reassembly. Do one bolt at a time. The "blue" flavor would be my first choice for that kind of bolt. The blue is easier to get undone later if you need to remove the bolt. They also make a "red" version that is stronger holding power and is recommended for suspension parts and other high strength applications. If the blue didn't fix the problem, move up to the red. Maybe we can get the Noble Black Steed down to only one problem.

-twylie
  • Options
    I saw an ad for a 79 CJ5 with a Chevy V8 engine. it had aftermarket suspension, new carpet in box and a new top in box. The body appears to be in decent shape, but they want 3900 for it. Based on the general information, assuming the thing was in decent shape, do y'all think this would be a decent deal? I'm thinking not, but I'm not sure what value it adds to the overall price.

-Paul
  • Options
    Has anybody ever replaced the light bulbs on their HVAC controls?

Mine are dark as night when driving and want to fix em. Can the controllers from later models (round dials) fit into a 97 TJ?

-Paul
  • Options
    You can replace the linear controls on your '97 with the rotary ones from later models. However, the rotary ones are 100% vacuum/electric whereas yours are partially mechanical. In other words, you need a little more than just the facia controls.
  • Options
    What else is needed to do the linear swap?
  • Options
    Ok I'm not too proud to admit it, the only damn time I stall is on flat ground? I can't figure it out. If I'm going uphill or downhill, no problem, but flat land is the only time. (came up b/c I was reading old posts again, and there was a string talking about trannies). I guess I'm just giving it too much gas. On hills I use the old hold the break until it pulls then move to the gas.

Oh well still only been 2 days with her and adjusting. Don't worry Tom I don't use the clutch to hold her on hills :)

Does everyone here follow the idiot shift lights? I'm on so many back roads where 4th gear holds a stead 1500rpm and yet it's always telling me to shift to 5th. I did once and the next hill I came to she just didn't want to go up. So now I just leave her in 4th. Out on the flats I'll put her in 5th.

Thanks for the help.

Tony
  • Options
    Found a 2001 Sahara:
    Auto
    Dan 35 axle (sorry Tom)
    Bestop trail cover and full cover
    black with tan top
    upgraded factory stereo with sub
    dual tops (hard top with a Safari top and hellas)
    fog lamps
    40,000 miles
    VERY clean inside and out, no visible wear
    engine bay very dusty, but only a slight oil mess around drain plug
    2" lift
    31" tires
    Canyon wheels
    Tow hitch to tow dirtbike only

All evaluations are mine and not from a pro mechanic, but tire wear looked normal/even. Tranny had no history or appearance of leaking. Original owner.

Wanting 16,900 for it. Sound interesting?

-Paul
  • Options
    denver8denver8 Member Posts: 42
    It has been a while since I looked at Jeeps but the CJ 5 with a V-8 used to be very popular, hence the higher price. $3,900 might not be to bad. About 5 years ago I bought a 78 Toyota FJ40 for $3,100 and moved to Colorado and sold it for $5,000. I think the older Jeeps, Toyotas and such are in the 3,00 to $5,000 range if not to abused. I mean for anything less than $2,000 it would be a complete piece.
  • Options
    The lot is still empty and yes, it has a great view. There are a number of new homes going up on most of the few empty lots and real estate values are going through the roof at the moment.

I know what you mean about not being able to take advantage of all these incredible rebates etc. I can't dump the Taco yet either - still owe too much on it. I'm really frustrated over that! If there is any way you can make it work, go for it!

I ended up buying my Wrangler from the dealer in Ontario, but wasn't impressed. Don-A-Vee would have given me a better deal. I've heard good things about the dealer in Lancaster, if you want to drive that far. I don't think much of the dealers in either Bakersfield or Santa Clarita, but have never talked money to either one, so I could be wrong. It just seemed to me that the salespeople I've talked to there don't know much about their products.
  • Options
    Additional components needed would be an assortment of vacuum hoses and connectors, either an addition to or alteration of the wiring harness, and if I remember correctly, the blend door is controlled by an electric motor on the later models (rather than directly by cable).
  • Options
    .....the only damn time I stall is on flat ground.........I guess I'm just giving it too much gas........

Nope....... too little gas, or you're letting up on the clutch too quickly!
  • Options
    oceantoadoceantoad Member Posts: 186
    I have a 2002 Sport with the following extras:

Skid Row LCA and engine skid plates
    DC steering box skid plate
    4XDoc rocker and rear end skid
    Kilby gas tank skid
    Seat covers and Husky floor mats

Have now removed the rear end and gas tank skid.

Problems have been:

Several check engine lights caused by me pinching the gas line coming out of the tank when I put on the Kilby, plus Kilby and rear skid rubbing each other.
    Drive shaft, belt tensioner, pulley, belt, water pump have all been replaced under warranty.

The Sport has never stranded me over left me on the side of the road. All the problems have been identified when I took it to the shop.

I have no problem with buying another Jeep in the future and intend to get a diesel Liberty in a couple of years.

Still a happy camper.
  • Options
    bamatazzbamatazz Member Posts: 311
    BAMA is back..
     here are my problems with tazz

paint chiping under passenger door
     heater seal leak
     windshield leak
     engine light stays on

all fixed under warrenty

mods:
     seat covers
     polk front speakers
     alpine rear speakers
     kenwood amp
     hood & winshield graphics
     TJ emblem on side
     windows tinted
     30 payments $8500 left for payoff ;)

Keep JEEPIN
  • Options
    I really should have walked out of the Ontario dealer (they played some games with me and I almost did), but I was tired and wanted to buy something that day. I had found 2 similar Wranglers but saw the one at Don-a-Vee early. I ended up buying an unwind and did a lousy job of talking money. I got a decent deal for a new car, but I should have gone from the point of a used vehicle. I was tired of looking at that point and REALLY liked that particular one. Of course, I had never had a black vehicle before or I would have gone back to Don-A-Vee and bought the white one that had caught my eye a couple of weeks before.

Don't get me wrong - my Noble Black Steed has been worth every cent I paid for it so I'm not unhappy. It is just that I don't like playing all the games that many car dealers play, and Ontario plays them all. I got the impression that Don-A-Vee was less likely to play them. Of course, things could have changed in the almost 6 years since I bought my Wrangler.

oceantoad - So how are things in Central Texas? About the same? Since I can't do anything about the Taco until spring at the earliest, I'm thinking about that diesel Liberty too. I'll be interested in finding out if it will be worth waiting for.

bama - I didn't realize you put the TJ decals on. I've thought about doing that but just haven't done it - I sure like the looks of them.
  • Options
    geepersgeepers Member Posts: 93
    Ignore that upshift light. Just my opinion, but I'll bet almost no one pays any attention to it. I believe it's programmed to indicate shifts for the best fuel economy.
  • Options
    I figured you were talking to Don-A-Vee - they are one of the (if not THE) largest dealer in the area. I know someone who bought a JGC from them. He was happy with the deal and the lease and ended up doing OK when the lease was over (he traded it in on a Honda instead of turning it in - the residual was lower than the blue book price). I will definitely talk to them when I get serious about buying another Jeep, though they are a long way from me. I just won't go back to Ontario again.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info on the CJ5. I would still prefer a TJ, but I'm trying to either find a GREAT deal on a used TJ (I like that Sahara in post 11293) or find a much older one for a lower price point that I can play with and fix up.

I haven't told my wife about the Sahara yet. I think if she saw it, she'd love it, but would think the 16,900 for it would be too much (I will have to remind her that very little would need to be done to make it the way I want it).

I know Tom will tell me that I need the D44, but I seriously doubt I'll offroad to that extreme, and if I did, I would use an older one that didn't cost that much. :) I'm wanting it for winter navigation, skiing, and driving on trails.

-Paul
  • Options
    davids1davids1 Member Posts: 411
    My recommendation is to keep looking for a used Jeep in good condition. I looked for about 6 months before buying my used 95 Rio Grande about 1 1/2 years ago. I was looking for a 95 or older because I am tall and the 97 and up versions have very little leg room. It was in excellent shape with 94,000 miles, only a small tear at the left seam in the driver seat, a wrinkled front fender from an altercation with a bridge abutment, and non-working aftermarket A/C as a result of the altercation with the abutment.

Got the fender fixed for $250.00. Looks great
    Got the A/C fixed (twice) for about $150.00. Works OK.
    That's about it.
    I think I got a steal.

One thing I noticed when looking for used Jeeps was that most of them smelled like a wet sock. They are often owned by people that don't take very good care of them, so when you find a good one, jump on it.
  • Options
    Hey Mac thanks for the word of advice. A little more gas is doing the trick. :)

Tom: I just registered for Gill's so I can get some pics up of Amy that I just took. She's a bit dirty but hey that's what Jeeps are meant for :) I'll get them up here as soon as I can.

Tony
  • Options
    Good deal! I'll check for those pics.

Also, as geepers already said, forget the stupid shift light. Just ignore it.

I'm pretty sure that what geepers said about it being a fuel economy thing is true. I believe I shift about the time the light comes on, but not BECAUSE the light comes on. It just seems to match my driving style, I guess.

Tom

• Options
    I think the shift light does help you conserve fuel. I've driven MT cars/trucks for many years and had a tendency to shift at higher RPMs (my first couple of MT vehicles didn't have a tach so I shifted by sound). After I had the Wrangler for a while, I actually paid attention to where it said to shift, and my gas mileage did go up (and I was happier in slow-n-go traffic because 2nd gear is so low). It isn't always right - after a while you'll figure out when to shift. Now I ignore it - I can't see the light because I set the steering wheel in such a way that it blocks it.
  • Options
    thebigkahunathebigkahuna Member Posts: 83
    I should be knocking on wood when I post this (knock, knock) but, I have a 2002 TJ that has had zero problems... so far :)
  • Options
    Ok let's try this again Gill moved the pics on me, so I deleted the old post.

Well I hope that it works this time :)

Mtngal: I know what you mean about 2nd gear. it's all slow and go around town now thanks to the season so I just get to second keep the engine going a little. It's nice to be able to crawl. Even in my old Corola(auto) I couldn't go that slow.

Tony