Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• spoogspoog Member Posts: 1,224
    Imagine if they made a Jeep that was built like a toyota. Man , that would be something.
  • pizzadudepizzadude Member Posts: 35
    Just wanted to comment on the humming noise...I was going to say the same thing Markbuck did, but he beat me to it!

I would say it is definately the fan clutch. Your jeep is working properly...my 4.0L I6 did the same thing once or twice. It is now cooling off here in PA, so I doubt it will happen again...If you listen close to some of the Chevy 4.3L engines they sound that way almost constantly...not sure if the fan is direct shaft from engine or not...but it's definately the fan.

just thought I'd throw in my .02...

Any you jeepers out there have a soft top and use a canoe? I'm looking for a good roof rack that will carry about 200lbs (for the camping gear and etc.) and that will also carry a canoe. I think olympic makes one and warrior products, but i need something that tilts so i can take down the top. Any input would be great!!

Thanks!

-the pizzadude
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    Yup, I'd go along with that, easy to check too. Just lift the hood. If it is that, there's nothing to fix. I guess I was visualizing the wrong kind of noise :-)
  • markbuckmarkbuck Member Posts: 1,021
    So, you have a 190 hp I-6. Well it only makes maybe 60hp off idle. You are running the A/C, the fan clutch is engaged, each stealing 10 hp. So you have only 2/3 the hp at slow engine speeds. Combine that with a manual and the engine will seem really boggy.

I have the same problem with my 255hp 4.8L Chevy 5-speed when pulling a trailer. Automatic transmissions handle this problem better 'cuz it allow the engine rpm to rise via slip in the torque converter.....

So, worst case would be a manual tranny'd, tall gear ratio'd, just above idle engine that is also spinning the A/C compressor and the cooling fan

Solution, spin the tar outta it in each gear. Noise won't hurt anything. If you normally shift at 3k rpm, let it run out to 3,500 rpm when the a/c is on and the cooling fan is howling....

Don't worry, be happy!
  • abbdabbd Member Posts: 2
    GOOD AFTERNOON...I AM LOOKING AT BUYING A 2001 JEEP SPORT (TRADING IN MY SEBRING CONVERTIBLE) AND WHILE YOU CAN'T COMPARE A CAR TO A JEEP, I HAD A FEW QUESTIONS....FIRST, HOW ARE THE JEEPS FOR DRIVING DOWN THE HIGHWAY AT 65MPH? ARE THEY REALLY PUSHED AROUND IN THE WIND? SECOND, IN THE MIDDLE OF A SNOWSTORM WITH TWO SMALL CHILDREN ABOARD, IS THE JEEP A SAFE VEHICLE, OR IS IT REALLY JUST A TERRIFIC VEHICLE TO "PLAY" OFF ROAD IN. AND THIRD, DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THE NEW 2001'S SOFT TOP IS QUIETER THAN EARLIER MODELS. (I WOULD GET BOTH TOPS ANYWAY). THANKS FOR ANY INPUT.
  • ryan23aryan23a Member Posts: 6
    I've got a 2000, with 5000 miles. The noise sounds as though its coming from the tires or bearings. It's like a rubbing or a whirling noise that increases as your speed increases.
    I had it to the dealer and they suggested it was simply the tire noise (stock P225s) I am hearing, and it was normal, and they blamed it on the fact that I've removed all the carpet, so its more noticable. I'll give em that it would be louder without carpet, but this isn't tire noise.

It appears to be getting louder now, and what really sets it off is water! If I wash it, or drive it in the rain, it becomes much louder.

Any ideas as to what this is?
  • dpage35925dpage35925 Member Posts: 45
    Markbuck, are you a mechanic? You're right on the money.
    Since I live in South Florida and it's hot the fan cluth engages when it gets too hot.
    My mechanic said that it's normal.
    I still love my Jeep and wouln't trade it for a toyota.

Denis :-)
  • jeepguy69jeepguy69 Member Posts: 4
    the price he wants is characteristic of a 1995 wrangler. i got a 91 w/ 4cyl/5spd hard soft tops, both doors, 4" susp lift, and 31" tires, 90000 miles for $5500. aim for around 6000 maybe more maybe less.

mike:)
  • onlyinajeeponlyinajeep Member Posts: 46
    Thanks for the all the postings. dpage35925, I am glad you posted your problem, I always wanted to know for sure what was causing the noise. And hey markbuck, we owe you a nickel.
  • boggleboesboggleboes Member Posts: 8
    Hey I had to write, remember...any noise you here in a jeep is normal...
    the 2001 tops are around 3.5 dB quieter - which equates to less than half as loud....
  • gajeep1gajeep1 Member Posts: 1
    Needs some info on 1992 Jeep Wrangler. I've never owned a Jeep and am thinking about buying one as a family toy. The Jeep appears to be in good shape with oversized tires and doesn't look like it has been offroad. Asking price is $6300 with 85k miles. I need everyones vast knowledge to help in the decision. Thanks in advance!
  • blackjeep1blackjeep1 Member Posts: 6
    Well I ordered my 2001 Jeep Wrangler and it only took approximately one month, but when it arrived off of the trailer on sat night, as I was passing the dealership, I went over to look at my new jeep. It had every option that I had ordered except the deep tinted factory windows, which it looked horrible without. The dealer made a mistake when he ordered my vehicle, he thought that the deep tinted windows were standard on the 2001. Not to mention, the deep tinted windows come factory done on the softop, which I totally wanted. So here I am going to wait probably another month. My heart was broken when it came in and I saw that it was wrong. I can't wait until I get it. Sorry, I just had to vent on this situation.
    Hey blackjeep,
    I feel bad for you. Can't they just switch the windows with another one. Do you have the full metal doors. If yes you can also have them swith the entire doors.
    I would be pissed if I'd have to wait another month.
    Talk to the manager and be firm. If he doesn't want, tell him you'll remember that when the Daimler Chrysler survey comes in. Beleive me, for some unknown reason, when you mention survey, they start doing cart wheels.
    Keep us posted

Dennis
  • truebelievertruebeliever Member Posts: 14
    The latest I read on the web says that the Wrangler is going to a modular top in 2002. A great idea considering all I've heard about removing the hard top. I'm assuming this is replacing the hard top and the soft top will still be available. Does anyone know if the modular top is going to be composite or metal/bolt on or integrated into the body? Will it be available aftermarket for earlier years?

In 2003 they are switching to the new Cherokee platform, adding independent suspension, and going to a 3.? L engine. What car is that engine used in now? Sure it will be quieter and more economical, but worry if it will have enough torque.

With the switch to IS, do you think the 2002 will be considered the last "real Jeep" or will Jeepsters embrace the '03?

Am trying to decide if I should buy a 2001 a 2002 or a 2003.

Thanks.
  • peterskmpeterskm Member Posts: 79
    Look at the Jeep Icon concept vehicle. That is the type of modular top they are speaking of. The roof and roll bar are integrated. When you remove the pieces of the roof, only the rollbar remains (which is part of the roof). I would guess it would be a composite made like the new plastic top they are supposed to be testing this year. As for the IFS, if you wanna go rock crawling, get your Jeep before 2002.
  • drumdogdrumdog Member Posts: 3
    Hey,
    I have a question, I have two options for getting a Wrangler. Option 1: 2000 TJ SE with 23 miles for $ 15,000 or a 97 TJ Sport with around 40,000 or so miles for $ 15,000. Both stick and soft top. Which one would be the better buy? I am concerned about the power of the 4cyl. Can anyone offer advice on what I should go for? Also, I plan to put 30-31 in tires on the TJ so with that in mind, will the 4 cyl be too bogged down? What is my better buy?
  • truebelievertruebeliever Member Posts: 14
    Yeah, I've seen the Icon and it definitely looks plastic. Have you seen the Mountain Biker concept? It seems to have a metal roof. It looks good to me.

I hate the idea of buying a car the last year before a model change. It dates your car right away. If the 2003 is not a success though, then the 2002 may become a sought after year.
  • texasjeeptexasjeep Member Posts: 270
    Removing the hardtop is not that difficult if you use a harness in your garage.
    The engine in the '03 Jeep is completely new engine as I understand it. So it is not used in any car now. The I6 is a proven engine and I would buy a 2001 and would not wait any longer.

Dave
    The 4 cyc should be fine as far power goes for off-roading. I don't think you will have a problem with 30 or 31's. I would try to go new if you can.
    I have a 6 cyc and will never own a 4 cyc jeep again. I think the 4 cyc sucks on the highway. I guess if you drive around 60 and maybe 70 you will be OK.
    Dave
    1. You get pushed around some on days with heavy winds, but it is not that bad.
    2. I would think a Jeep is a safe vehicle in a snowstorm. You will have 4 wd which will help. It does not snow here so it is hard for me to say. I think the only thing that would would make a jeep unsafe is the driver.
    3. I don't have a 2001, but have heard it does make a big difference.
    Dave
  • jeepnjjeepnj Member Posts: 2
    I am getting ready to order a 2001 (probably Sahara), as soon as I can decide on a couple of things. Any opinions on the 30" Canyon wheels vs the standard Michelin LT-X tires on the Sahara? And what about that Dana44? What does having it (or not having it) mean in the driving world? I'll be mostly on pavement but I would like to do some offroading (not much terrain in NJ, but who knows where I'll end up?)

Any opnions on cruise control?

Thanks for your thoughts!
    I would get the Dana44. It should come with track-lok also. I think you will get both of these if you order the 30 inch tire group.
    The Dana 44 is a bigger rear axle, which is good for off-roading and larger tires, and probably good for re-sale value. The track-lok will help you off-roading and in snowy/icy weather.
    Go for the 30 inch tire group.
    I won't ever own a car without cruise control again. If you ever do or plan on doing any long distance driving on the highway I would get it.
    Dave
  • ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    If Jeep goes the way it looks like they are, then they will be turning the Wrangler into a CRV ,Tracker or any of those other wanna-be's . We bought and love Jeeps to be different . Hey DC & Jeep dont do it . Remember the heritage !!! go here and tell DC, what you think http://www.dcanswers.com/
  • goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    I have now owned my '98 Wrangler Sport for 2.5 years and 23,000 miles. This is the second wrangler I've owned (last one was a '94 S). As I just did the end-of-summer hard-for-top swap, I had some thoughts that may be of value for potential Wrangler owners:
    First, this vehicle has been generally trouble-free. The 1st-to-2nd shift is a bit sticky and has not gotten any easier, though it helps to shift at low RPMS. I have had exactly 2 mechanical problems with it that needed to be fixed, both in the past 6 months: the toe-in got knocked out of kilter on the front axle (not covered by warranty, $60 repair) and there was a bad connection behind the dash that was causing my gauges (all of them--speedmeter, tach, etc) to sometimes shut down completely (fixed under warranty in one day). Admittedly, I haven't wracked up serious miles on this vehicle yet, and I am extremely uptight on maintainence (just changed all fluids and filters a few months ago). Overall, it seems a better-constructed vehicle than my last Jeep or a lot of other cars I've owned.
  • silksilk Member Posts: 4
    Assuming it's the 2002 that's redesigned, which means they'll hit the showrooms a year from now...

It's too late for changes or suggestions, production has probably been finalized, mules and pilot cars already built. If anything they're probably putting in the final touches on trim levels, price points etc...I'm just speculating of course.
    as a continuation of my above post, these are the thoughts on options that I both did get and should have gotten (I custom ordered my Jeep):
    I-6 VS I-4: thank god for the straight 6. My last Jeep had the 4 and this gets comparable highway mileage, though a little less around town. Well worth the $$.
    TOPS: I bought mine with the hard top since I live in the Northwest but ended up buying an aftermarket soft top (Bestop Sunrider) for summer. It's a good soft top, and about the same as the dual top option, so this is purely a personal preference. With the new quieter soft tops, I'd now go for the dual top option.
    5-SPEED VS AUTO:everyone seems to get abysmal mileage with the auto--no wonder since it has no O/D. I get 16/20 with the 5-speed.
    ABS VS DANA 44: I have ABS, a rare option for Wranglers, but I do a lot of driving on snow in the winter. If I were going to put bigger than 30" tires on it, I'd get the 44, but the 35 is plenty stout enough for me and I like the additional control of ABS on a vehicle that loves to swap ends on ice. Insurance discount too.
    A/C: a necessity. I ended up having it retrofitted with a factory kit this summer.
    SECURITY KEY: I wish I'd gotten this. There is no sense in putting a security system in an open vehicle and this is better than the Club.
    CRUISE: a personal preference. I do fine w/o it.
  • ajackmanajackman Member Posts: 2
    I need a refresh of my mind. Is it possible to have all three of these together on a 1997 Wrangler?
  • ajackmanajackman Member Posts: 2
    I plan to buy a used Jeep. I have found this Jeep:Sahara Edition, usual Sahara options plus full/half doors, hard/soft tops, ABS, trunk, Dana 44, Trac-lock, hitch, CD player, Anti-Lock Brakes, CD Player, Manual Transmission, 31,000 miles, accident free and maintained. The price is $14000. Is this a good deal?
  • jj32jj32 Member Posts: 2
    I want to order a 2001 Sahara, Manual, 30" Wheels (like the Dana 44). The Dealer told me I cannot get the Trac Loc with the 30". Even though the Dana 44 is included in 30" and if I order the Dana separate it includes the Trac Loc (without the 30"). Anybody know if thats correct? I called Jeep. They couldn´t give me a straight answer. I called DC. Also no straight answer.
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    As far as I know, it's always been Dana 44 OR ABS, not both. Trackloc is/was available on the Dana 44 or 35. However, ABS and Trackloc are available with the Dana 35, which is the combination I have.

Can't comment on the price except to say check here at Edmunds, or try Kelly's ( www.kbb.com ).
  • kayak81kayak81 Member Posts: 2
    I am anxiously waiting for the arrival of my 2001 Wrangler Sahara. One thing that I will need is a roof rack to carry some kayaks. The only thing that I've been able to find so far is a rack called the "Top Five" from an Internet dealer. Does anyone have any experience with this rack or have any other recommendations?

Thanks for your help.
    If you order the 30" package, it will come with the dana44. No questions asked. However if you also want rear track lock you have to order it.
    I have a 2001 sport with 30",dana44 and rear track lock.
    So I know for a fact that you can have all 3.

As for the ABS, I don't know for sure.
    Dennis
    not with Dana44. If you really want ABS, order that and do the www.warn.com heavy duty axle conversion to the stock Dana35. Warn says it is almost as good as the Dann44. I believe them, as their axle's are as beefy as the Dana's stock axles.
  • peterskmpeterskm Member Posts: 79
    If I am not mistaken, you COULD get the D44 axle and ABS early on. I think this changed early on with the 2000 models.
  • jj32jj32 Member Posts: 2
    Do you own an automatic or manual. The Dealer told me with automatic I could have all three. Not with manual.
    I own a 5 speed. Trust me, I remember when I ordered mine, it was the same thing with my salesman. He was saying that I couln't get rear track lock. YOU CAN!!!

Dennis
  • tmolnartmolnar Member Posts: 4
    A friend of mine is looking at a '91 JW with 90k miles on it with a 4 cyl engine. He'd like to know how much would it cost to swap it to a 6 cyl used or new. Is it a drop it in most cases or does it require some converters, other issues etc.
    Thanks for any info
    I looked at putting a 6 cyc in my YJ and I don't think it will drop in. I think the easier and less expensive route is buying a 6 cyc Jeep. Maybe someone that has actually done it will respond though.
    Dave
  • jajeepjajeep Member Posts: 2
    anybody here know where i can get a performance shift knob for a automatic jeep wrangler tj
  • jajeepjajeep Member Posts: 2
    has anyone placed a borla headers on their jeep....i'm having problem with my automatic transmission now....it's over reving and it sometimes don't shift at all
  • ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    check out these pics of the new jeep . looks like a rav 4 .http://www.4car.co.uk/jsp/main.jsp?lnk=240&storyid=486
  • batlinbatlin Member Posts: 4
    I've got a 2001 Wrangler Sport and was thinking about installing an Add-a-trunk. Could anyone give me a suggestion on where to get it from, directly from jeep? or is it even worth getting?

Couple other questions....
    I like to drive with the top up and the side & back windows off, but when I hit freeway speeds it looks as if there is a lot of stress on the rear soft-top connection to the frame, Has anyone had any problems with that ripping or tearing?

Also what does everyone do with their windows when they have their top off so that they don't get scratched? and also, when you put your soft top down, do you just keep it in the jeep or do you take it out as to cut down on the rubbing of the material?

Thanks
    I also have a 2001 Wrangler. I want to keep my soft top looking new for as long as possible.
    I either drive with the top completly down or close with the windows rolled up.

I store my rear side windows underneath the rear seat. I fold and tumble the rear seat, lay them flat and put the seat back down.
    Since I rarely have anybody on the back seat, I also removed the seat belt that is bolted down. And to reduce the wind noise, I attached the other part of the seat belt to the roll bar with 3 black tie raps.
    As for the rear window I usually just roll it up.
    By the way I have the full metal doors. So I don't have to worry about those windows, just roll them down.

Dennis
  • y2k_jeepy2k_jeep Member Posts: 6
    i often run with windows out.

i simply have a gungie cord around each side that keep the soft-top tight against the roll-bar. it also stops the flapping.
  • turn73turn73 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 99SE with about 8,000miles on it. the rear seat belts are starting to fray from flapping in the wind with the top down. has anyone ever had this problem? i'm afraid the dealer won't think it is a problem since they still work. i think they look bad, and i'm concerned about safety of rear passengers...

also the floor mats(which suck) are starting to come apart. i'm wondering if the dealership will replace them under warrenty??

thanks
  • kmq102kmq102 Member Posts: 9
    Check out Quadratec. www.quadratec.com
    They have everything you could possibly want for your Jeep. If you live in the Philly area you can save the shipping and go pick it up. I think the add-a-trunk is a waste. The "trunk" can hold 2 30 packs of beer and thats it. Whenever I need to carry something I fold down the back seat. Goodluck!
    0|||0
  • jim222jim222 Member Posts: 8
    Last year and early this year DC had and was showing a concept Wrangler called "Tabasco" It had a V8 engine in it. They now have deleted it from their website. Does anyone know if a V8 has been considered for production in the future?
    You can pretty much guarantee that they will not produce the Wrangler with a V8. The new V6 that will replace the 4.0L in a year or so will be smaller as well, though not necessarily less powerful. Jeep had a lot of lawsuits and complaints in the early 80s with CJ5s rolling, and this led to them dropping the AMC V8 as an option in short wheelbase Jeeps(and eventually dropping the CJ5).
  • jeepnjjeepnj Member Posts: 2
    Could someone please explain the difference between the standard Wrangler axle and the Dana 44? I know it's bigger, but what I would like to know is why would I want to have it? Thanks.