Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Ford Escape

2»

Comments

• normkolnormkol Member Posts: 135
    Look at the April issue of Consumer Reports. The stopping distance of the Escape/Mariner for 2010 is no worse than most other suv's. They even point that out in their report.
    I'm getting that squeak, but I read that the TSB was for a chain in the transaxle. I don't want them opening up the transaxle on a new car.

If it's only lubricating a bushing, that's ok.

I have 3500 miles. At 5000, it goes for its first service, we'll see then.
  • schim21schim21 Member Posts: 1
    I "built" my 2010 Escape XLT specifically to get the 4WD and a few things that I wanted to be sure I had. I was also told that they do not put the 4x4 on the car anymore. The sticker says 4WD but when I log onto Ford.com - my account (that has my vin#) says AWD....how can I be sure I have 4WD? I plan on using it this summer for vacation at the Outer Banks driving on the sand. Any help will be appreciated.
  • mld4mld4 Member Posts: 4
    VIN is interpreted as AWD. The specs in the manual refer to 4WD. Reading the manual this means the same.
    I think traditionally 4WD was for vehicles with a low-range. AWD is what most crossovers have, automatic 4 wheel drive without the low range.
  • mariner10275mariner10275 Member Posts: 3
    I took your advice and brought the car back. They were willing to try this and it worked! - thanks!. The mechanic explained that the motor mount and exhaust system bolts were most likely tighted before the engine "settled" into place when installed, so they loosened everything and then tightened it up again (there was probably contact with the body somwhere). I guess the vehicle "characteristic" is some factory line workers being oversealous with the pneumatic bolt tighteners....Anyway they also menteined there was a new service bulletin on the Mariner/Escape's computer (PCU?) and they had to reprogram it - it seems to shift more naturally now as well (I had chalked it up to fuel-saving programing for the transmission shift points).
  • greggscherergreggscherer Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2010 Escape with 20,000 miles. I took the car in for an oil change etc. Ford called me and said the rotators were very rusted and need to be "cleaned/planed". Also, the pads should be replaced. Cost $226.00 not covered by warranty. Oh yeah, it will be 36 months later this month since i bought it new.

This DOES NOT seem right, thoughts anyone?
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    I don't like it either. Were the brakes pulsating when you applied them? Rusty rotors are irrelevant, the minute you put on the brakes, the rust is instantly removed. So that is bogus. As for pads, depends on how worn they are, but pads often last 50,000 miles unless you drive a lot in hilly terrain or ride the brakes a lot. I would tell them no. This car should need nothing in 20000 miles under normal conditions.
  • greggscherergreggscherer Member Posts: 2
    They said the brakes were pulsating when applied but, honestly, i didn't notice it. They said the rust on the rotors wore the pads down and i should have them replaced. Maybe not a good decision on my part but was kind of taken off guard by this issue.

Thanks.
    Sadly, the dealers are not Ford, they are customers of Ford, and re-sell their cars. Some of them are not honest. Some Service Advisors are not honest, but the dealer is. Bottom line, find a service advisor you trust and like, and stay with them if possible. That's what I have learned works the best. I have some stories I could tell that would punctuate my point, but who cares. I'm just saying, you can't always trust a dealer, just because they're factory authorized. You can however, report them to the factory.
  • gina257gina257 Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem in 2009 and my 2004 escape had about 25000 mls. I was ripped off grandly by ford service dept. and had to have them redone by someone else in 2010. same excuse was given. complete bs. still having problems and i'm going to a body shop this time to have everything checked out. i've owned 4 vehicles and have never replaced brakes earlier than 5 yrs in and i was a devil on wheels so no this is not normal.
  • gotta2010gotta2010 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 03 and it has drums in the rear. I have had to service the front brakes every 20,000 or sometimes a little less. Pulsating and REALLY P&SS poor quality Chinese metal in the rotors on one of my brake changes - not Fords fault. Maybe that's why they put 4 Wheel discs on the Escape in later models. Brakes are spongy now after 130,000 miles (Master Cylinder)but the truck runs great except for the expected tranny issues starting to develop. Just bought a 2010 and am having trouble getting used to the Tranny shifting behaviours. Not happy after seeing all the posts on Tranny issues after 08 on the 3.0 AWD. It only has 12,000 miles on it. Glad I insisted it be certified by the Ford dealer (100,000 miles drivetrain warranty) and purchased additional warranty coverage Bumper to Bumper. Very impressed otherwise - super comfy Limited edition, lots of options minus Ford Touch and navigation. LOTS OF POWER also - very astonished by the torque. I thought my other one is quick - but this one is truly packed with some serious ponies - not that I am a leadfoot - just got surprised when I drove it like I drive the other one.
    You are correct, it's NOT normal. I've had 12 Escapes in my fleet, and still have 6 now, the brakes almost NEVER wear out. I replace them at about 50,000 miles or later.
  • robin55robin55 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my 2010 Escape v6 XLT, AWD new in March 2010. Last week the engine light came on and within a 1/2 mile, I had no power brakes and the car was shuddering. Was able to get it to a shop where they told me that the #2 and #3 cylinders had no compression. The recommendation was a new engine. Took it to a second shop and was told the same thing. This vehicle has only 67,000 miles on it!. All maintenance is up to date including a brand new timing belt. Can't even get a rebuilt motor because no one will warranty one as they keep blowing up. From reading other postings, it doesn't sound like Ford is going to admit to any design flaw to cause this. This happened with NO warning, lucky we weren't on the freeway. Any suggestions to get this fixed?
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,308
    Escape doesn't have a timing belt.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    edited March 2013
    "Escape doesn't have a timing belt. "

OK, so it is a timing chain. I presume that is what they replaced.
    Yes, but chains will go for over 200,000 miles, so no need to replace one. If someone indeed did replace one, they ripped you off, 1, and secondly, they may have installed it incorrectly, mis-timed the engine or some other damage that caused it to eat itself alive. The incorrect timing can burn holes in pistons - or other damage can be caused. While I sympathize completely - I have owned 14 Escapes and run them hard in my fleet, since 2006. Still have 6 now. They have been solid gold, only 2 of the 14 ever needing a repair at all.

I think it may not be Ford's fault. It would be nice of them to step up and replace it though - since it's just out of warranty - but if some other mechanic replaced your timing "belt", not sure they should have to.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,308
    I have a totally different presumption about that post.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "I have a totally different presumption about that post. "

Sorry, I don't really know what you mean.