Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Scraping noise when changing gears

hbadhbad Member Posts: 4
edited May 2014 in Honda
Hi,

my Odyssey 2006 has started to make a scraping noise when changing gears. I hear it only when the car is cold and think it is when changing from 1st to 2nd gear. It is only a half a second noise, but it does not sound Ok. It sounds like as when two metal plates scrap each other.

The transmission fluid is OK (within limits). Has someone any idea what this could be?

Thanks a lot.

Hernan

Comments

• robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Does it happen only once aftrer you first start the vehicle? If so, that's the ABS self check.
  • hbadhbad Member Posts: 4
    Hi Robr2,

thanks for your reply.

Yes, I think it happens only once. But it happens first when I accelerate, not right after I start the vehicle. And I'm pretty sure it happens when changing from 1st to 2nd gear.

When does this ABS self check happen and what kind of noise does it make?

Hernan
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    It typically happens in the first hundred feet of travel. All vehicles with ABS do this.
    Ok. Thanks Roberto.
  • chirpchirp Member Posts: 194
    Possibly the heat shield on the Cat converter when it's cold and goes away when the Cat warms up. I have an '06 and only noise out of the trans is the "clunky" noise when moving the selector from Park to Drive.
  • fosterspfostersp Member Posts: 1
    My 06 Odyssey does the same thing, at 48,000 miles.

It happens after I back up, then start going forward. Right after it shifts to 2nd gear, it has a scraping sound for a half second.

Any ideas or comments before I take it to the dealer?

Thank you.
    Hi fostersp,

I don't have any idea why this happen. In my case I hear the noise when I drive very slow in first gear (don't matter how far) and then I accelerate making change the vehicle to 2nd gear. And it only happens the first time it changes from 1st to 2nd.

And I don't think it has to do with the vehicle being cold because I can remember that once the noise also occurred when the vehicle was still warm from a previous drive.

Roberto, means it could be some ABS self check. But I don't remember hearing that noise when I've first got the van. I think it is a new noise.

I will greatly appreciate if you could write back here in the forum if you find out what's the cause of the noise.

Hernan
  • ricardo_33172ricardo_33172 Member Posts: 34
    There is a recall for this. Go to your service advisor and ask for the VIBRATION RECALL.

I took my 2007 Odyssey EX-L today for that and many other things.
This discussion has been closed.