Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Kia Forte / Forte Koup Prices Paid and Buying Experience

2»

Comments

• jessica82jessica82 Member Posts: 4
    edited July 2011
    It's hard to say what the dealer actually sold my 2011 Kia Forte Ex 5-door for (with homelink and compass). The buyer's order lists the sales price as $18,340 but the dealer also gave me more on my trade than it was worth ($1,921). The rebates totaled $1,500, and I put down $300. When all was said and done, the total price OTD was $16,329. I think this is a pretty good deal but then I see some getting SX's for around the price I got mine OTD. Hmmm....
  • canngacannga Member Posts: 20
    edited July 2011
    >>>First, does the 5-door even come in Pearl White? I thought it came in only clear white.

Thank you. You are correct - the 5-Door does come only in clear white.

I've now been told conflicting "stories" by dealers regarding 2012 cars. One dealer said they're not due until a few months from now, another one - Kia of Glendale - said YES, 2012 cars are in fact coming in 2 weeks. Ahh... salespeople, cannot really trust any of them sometimes.

Could anyone confirm that 2012 cars are coming? And that there is no major change? The second dealer even told me they even have emails/documents noting 2012 are coming, and that the first shipment will be mostly 5 Door version.
  • conwelpicconwelpic Member Posts: 600
    edited July 2011
    Not sure about the US, but in Canada there is no changes on the 2012, just a couple of minor tweaks. Also there is no price change on the MRSRP from the 2011 to 2012 model on either the Koup, sedan or 5-door, again this is for the Canadian market.
    My local dealer is expecting his 2012 Forte's to start arriving at the end of this month.
  • canngacannga Member Posts: 20
    edited July 2011
    If you are looking to buy Kia Forte, there is a $1000 cash back offer from Kia that ends in one week. I assume this is to clear out 2011 inventory. Since there is no change from 2011 to 2012, this is an excellent discount.

I successfully got the last fully loaded White 2011 SX 5 Door in Southern Cal for my daughter. The car is fantastic and I predict the Korean companies, Huyndai and Kia, are here to stay and will be giving the Japanese manufacturers very serious competition in the coming years.
    Breakdown:
    Base 2011 SX 5 Door Automatic: 19,395.
    With leather/power sunroof/navigation/cargo tray/wheel lock brings total to 23,065.
    Freight charge 695, bringing total to 23,760.

The internet department of http://www.teamkiaofelcajon.com/ in San Diego gave me about a $1200 discount (don't call the dealer, go through the web site to get the internet sales department - my salesperson was "Jefff" and he was straightforward and extremely helpful), with the cashback from Kia, I paid $21,573 plus tax for a fully loaded Kia Forte with every option known to mankind LOL. The thing has more options than all our other cars in the family! You name it, this car has it: blue tooth, navigation, push button start, push button door entry (they key fob never leaves your pocket), leather, paddle shifter, expensive looking interior, ipod, auto air control. The navigation system is outstanding and much better than the one in our 5 year old Lexus. The new 6 speed auto (for an economy car!) is perfectly geared for the engine. Of course, it is also beautifully proportioned - a surprisingly attractive car in person. The rear diffuser gave me a chuckle - my P Turbo doesn't even have one :-).

BTW, the SX has the 2.4 liter engine and this makes the car very peppy --- much much much more fun to drive than either Honda Civic or Huyndai Elantra. MPG is not as good of course so if you're looking to save gas, get the 2 liter EX version. Ride is firm (but still comfortable) so this is the car for the sporty crowd. Handling is outstanding - similar to Mazda3 - and the car is more at home in the twisties :-) than any other economy car I've tested. The disc brake is excellent. Overall this is a much better car than a similarly priced Honda Civic, which has a few problems for me: Too weak of an engine, numb steering, and cheap/cheap looking interior.
    The Kia Forte SX does not feel like the typical numb and soft and slow-as-molass entry- level economy car at all. What I pleasant surprise.
  • rogerd80rogerd80 Member Posts: 2
    OK,
    I put together all the prices paid from the blogs I read here. I came up with a game plan to find a new Kia Forte 5 EX with sunroof. It took me two weeks to find a dealer with just that car and who would work a deal with me. Here are the details.

-Trade 2004 Suzuki Grand Vitara 4x4 Auto 125K miles. I got 3,000 for that trade. It was worth it since it needed maintenance soon and guzzled gas.

-I paid 18,684 for the Forte 5 minus rebates of 1,500 ( you get higher interest rate but still save more getting extra 500 rebate and paying one percent higher.) That's 17,184 for the car.

-Plus TTL of 1,696 (1,097 tax but remember its less if you trade in a car) 309 for registration/Title (yes its high but not worth haggling too much plus I get 4 year registration and I was due to renew) finally 290 for documents (more fluff dealer makes money on but what can you do)

-Financed 13,400 after another 2,500 cash down payment.

-215 a month for 72 months (difference between 60 month over the term was a few hundred but you can make it up paying a few more bucks each month. If you get into a money crunch thought it is nice to have a tiny payment like that)

So I am happy and the car is great. I just improved my gas mileage by over 50 percent.

Dealer is in Neptune NJ and ask for Kathy. Believe me I stopped at over a dozen dealers to find this last EX in silver/titanium. I was even in Pa looking. Dealers would not even swap with other dealers to get me this car. It is not as hot as the Accent or Elantra but its close. The SX model is nice but it costs 2,000 more gets less MPG and has just a little bigger engine and shinny pedals. Resale value (who cares, it's a Kia not a Honda)

I owned a 2002 Elantra GT Hatchback. I put 200K miles on it and still got 2,000 dollars for it. Great gas mileage sells itself. Too bad for inflation since I paid 12,500 for that car new and it had leather sunroof auto and 4 wheel disc.

Happy Motoring and hope this helps.

PS: Post more prices paid so we can keep these dealers honest. Some of them made me so pissed of during a process that should be fun

R
  • ken117ken117 Member Posts: 249
    Today I priced a fully loaded Kia Koup SX with auto, nav, etc. The current Edmunds TMV shows as $22,071 in Maryland. Today the True Car price for this exact vehicle is $21,435, this includes freight and a $213 ad fee which I would question. I have used True Car to purchase a vehicle. A couple of months ago I assisted my daughter to purchase a new Nissan. The True Car price was legitimate. Actually, the Nissan dealer beat the True Car price by a couple of $100 to cover the dreaded doc fee, which I would not pay. Six hundred and thirty-six dollars buys a lot of gas, even at today's prices!
  • fflatfflat Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a Kia Forte EX today! I will not comment on the quality of the car for obvious reasons, but, in regard to price, I went to a local dealership with three no-haggle quotes from truecar.com for an EX with no options (lowest was 16872 or so). They only had one with the premium package (sunroof, alloy wheels, etc.) and the truecar.com price got them to go down to that number (even with the options). In addition, they gave me $500 for my dying '99 buick regal with 170k miles. OTD price was about 17800.

Happy buying!
  • eusticeeustice Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2011
    We have been unable to find a new 2011 AT ALL. I finally discovered one more than an hours drive away from us in the SX trim rather than the EX that we wanted and could not get an appropriate response to e-mails sent to the internet person (and they're highly rated on edmunds too).

We're buying a 2012 (everyone seems to have THOSE) but it's really quite a bit more than we had hoped to spend. We used the zag.com service offered through USAA that also makes use of truecar statistics (although it seems to lump together the LX and and EX models). I'm very jealous of the last person that posted. Even with $500 incentive and $500 cash for being in the military and the supposed discount "fixed pricing" we're going to wind up paying about $18678 OTD.

Edited: I spoke to soon. After promises of getting the car we wanted they failed to produce. So we're still searching.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter is looking to speak with someone who has recently traded down from a midsize to a small car, or who recently bought a compact car after shopping both midsize and compacts. Please e-mail pr@edmunds.com with a daytime phone contact and a brief description of your experience.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• bd21bd21 Member Posts: 437
    I paid $17,713.00 out the door from Dothan Kia in Alabama for a 2012 Kia Forte EX 5-door hatchback, 6 speed automatic in Titanium with a stone interior. The car had auto-dimming mirror w/compass, wheel locks, rear bumper applique, cargo net, cargo tray, splash guards and an I-pod cable. This price included 6% sales tax (I live in Florida) and all dealer processing fees. There was no trade-in.

I got $2,000.00 in rebates ($1000.00 current Kia Forte rebate for this month, $500.00 for being active duty, retired or a member of the reserves, and $500.00 for using Kia financing at 2.9% for 36 months).

It's a quality product and I'm very happy with the car. I don't think you will find a better car for under $20K.
  • brian707brian707 Member Posts: 1
    I don't recall the exact price paid but I will address my experience with the KIA company and KIA Santa Rosa. I intended to purchase the 2012 KIA Forte EX, the salesman was really pushy to close the deal the same day and ended up offering the model the way I wanted to be shipped to the dealership. Turned out after all the paperwork was signed I realized the car ordered was a 2011 instead. They lowered the price by $500 dollars to compensate after trying to convince me that I shouldn't care because they are the same car. Subsequently the dealership filed my paperwork with DMV for the wrong model. After driving the car off the lot I found the iPod USB port does not work with Apple USB cords, only KIA manufactured cords, the dealership charged about $70 for this cord after purchase. Then I found my iPhone causes a screeching noise when I attach it with the adapter, KIA after 4 months of servicing attempts to fix it decided to tell me that the cord is not compatible with the iPhone, only iPods. Neither KIA (as a company) or the dealership are willing compensate me in any way despite their clear lack of clarity on the functionality of the audio unit. In addition, the CD player has jammed 3 CDs 3 times among 2 different audio units (the first was replaced completely) and the car continues to lower than advertised gas mileage. This all has occurred in the first 7 months of owning the vehicle and KIA will not consider it a lemon.
  • bidderman9bidderman9 Member Posts: 2
    Does anybody have any current pricing on a base 2013 Forte sedan with Automatic trans?
    The last post in this form was 2011?

Thanks in advance.
  • conwelpicconwelpic Member Posts: 600
    we don't know what country you are located in, but if in US check out

http://www.kia.com/#/forte

if in Canada:

http://kia.ca/pages/pricing/pricekia-step2.aspx?model=Forte&modelPage=1
  • rskipk2rskipk2 Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2012
    When we went looking for a new car I knew I wanted something fast, sporty, well built and lots of features for the money. I looked at the new Scion TC, Mazda 3, Hyundai Elantra, Ford Focus, and the Chevy Cruze to name a few. When I stopped at the Kia dealer there was a silver Forte SX on the lot that was loaded with everything but a nav system and I loved the look and the build quality(except for the cheap carpet). After driving the car several times and coming to a price I was willing to pay, the car was ours and so far after 8 months I am very happy with it.

It drives great, gets good mileage, is solidly built and has a great warranty. The interior is really nice, black leather w/red stitching and the outside is silver. With the SX model you get a front spoiler with built in driving lights, sunroof, all leather interior, a 2.4liter engine, low profile tiles with dark grey wheels which look really sharp. In no way does this feel like a budget brand car nor does it look like one. It was over $7k less than the comparable Focus and much better looking than the Elantra, Corolla, Scion, and especially the new Civic which wasn't even an option for me. So far we are perfectly happy with this Forte Koup except it is easy to scratch the allow wheels if you pull to close to a curb( a habit of mine). Lovin the car so far! Did I mention the car was designed by Kia Design Chief, Peter Schryer formally from Audi. The total price out the door was $21.000 and considering it had every option available I believe it was worth it . There are very few on the road and as an added plus, it isn't a car you see everyday which I like!
  • bidderman9bidderman9 Member Posts: 2
    I was not looking for Kia Forte 2013 sticker prices...
    I was looking for OTD prices paid. I am looking for a base LX Auto.
  • vestirsevestirse Member Posts: 7
    There seems to be a serious lack of tech packaged Forte's in certain areas. Wonder if the shortage is artificial, or the fully loaded EX's are just selling better than expected. I lurk on some Forte forums, and many of the 2014 Forte owners purchased EX's with tech. I think I read somewhere that Kia expects the loaded LX to be the better seller, but I wonder if that really is the case.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

Please visit the 2014 Kia Forte Prices Paid and Buying Experience discussion for current model year deal talk. Thanks!